• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Mknzy

Would a 3* blue prodigal son daredevil and 3* grey classic Dr. doom be worth buying HP to increase my roster space?

Personally i try to keep as many characters as i can because you never know when a heroic event that locks you into specific characters will turn up. If you don't want to do that i would say they are on the low tier of 3* characters. Doom can be a threat but with only two colors he is hard to justify right now. Daredevil is better than he was before they tweaked him but still probably too weak to be a big asset

shaowebb

New art? Oooooo. Now if they could only re-do IW...

All the Wolverines have new art, including Patch and X-Force... It's meaner.

If anyone needs new art its regular Captain America...looks like his armor is made out of shower mat. New Wolverine art is all pretty slick. I kept thinking his mask looked all stubby before but this new stuff looks great...nice and threatening.

Currently in 1st in my bracket for this event BTW. Just wanted to grind it out and try myself at the new survival style matches. Certain teams cut through them hard. Anyone who has long tactics like Magneto, Storm, or IM 40 work well on such endurance bout team setups. Fun stuff. Also managed to pull yet another Sentry today...that makes one red and one yellow in a day. Nice. Pretty soon I'll have him and a few others ready to start making it into rotation.

shaowebb

I'm not seeing it

Put down the trap tiles. No matter what they trigger and she is untouchable for several turns. They are fast and easy to create and pairing her with Doom to make more for me was ridiculous since she had tile priority and stayed in front. The more they attacked her the more they killed themselves.

The rest was okay, but that black ability got out of hand pretty damned quick. I'd pretty much need a stun based team to deal with it and likely then would need some large tile popping stuff to back that up in case any abilities got through on me.

Spoit

Put down the trap tiles. No matter what they trigger and she is untouchable for several turns. They are fast and easy to create and pairing her with Doom to make more for me was ridiculous since she had tile priority and stayed in front. The more they attacked her the more they killed themselves.

The rest was okay, but that black ability got out of hand pretty damned quick. I'd pretty much need a stun based team to deal with it and likely then would need some large tile popping stuff to back that up in case any abilities got through on me.

But...that takes 10 AP. For 4 black matches you could instead cast rage of the panther or surgical strike and win the game

Dispatch

I really enjoy the new encounters where you face waves of enemies. It's a nice change.

Yes, Elektra's trap tiles pack a punch. It's a shame it will take me a long while to get her.

Mknzy

I really enjoy the new encounters where you face waves of enemies. It's a nice change.

Yes, Elektra's trap tiles pack a punch. It's a shame it will take me a long while to get her.

Or get her with enough covers to make her not be worthless. We will see how she plays out.

My event starts in a few minutes, I am looking forward to trying the survival encounters. How does scoring on them work? Do you have to clear so many to clear the node or do you get so many points for each wave you defeat?

Mknzy

I haven't failed to clear the node yet, so I'm not sure.

I have run my first wave through minus the Electra essential node as I don't have her. Feels to me like you have to clear the entire node in one go in order to pass it and earn points, but on the whole they seem a little bit easier, at least for now. Looking forward to playing them out. I would love to see them do some kind of event kinda like The Gauntlet where they hit you with wave after wave of enemies and you get rewards based on how far you get, that could be a lot of fun.

shaowebb

But...that takes 10 AP. For 4 black matches you could instead cast rage of the panther or surgical strike and win the game

Or you could use doom's tiles too. Thats not the point though. If you have Electra and want to use her on teams I'm just saying her trap tiles are damned respectable...especially because they effectively give you a character who takes extremely little damage. The longevity that can give you for events between heals makes it worth the extra cost in AP.

Just because other black moves exist doesn't make other characters irrelevant. Electra's move does damage but allows her to go undamaged from enemy attacks and that is the key factor to that move that needs considered. Its extremely easy to set up a kill with her trap tiles and remain nearly unscathed between rounds. That sort of staying power is important.

Spoit

Or you could use doom's tiles too. Thats not the point though. If you have Electra and want to use her on teams I'm just saying her trap tiles are damned respectable...especially because they effectively give you a character who takes extremely little damage. The longevity that can give you for events between heals makes it worth the extra cost in AP.

Just because other black moves exist doesn't make other characters irrelevant. Electra's move does damage but allows her to go undamaged from enemy attacks and that is the key factor to that move that needs considered. Its extremely easy to set up a kill with her trap tiles and remain nearly unscathed between rounds. That sort of staying power is important.

Except she takes 3-4xs as much ISO as those other characters, which her abilities are only roughly on par to (her purple is 1)conditional and 2) less damage than moves like battleplan or sacrifice, much less these new gotg strike powers, and her red is pretty much exactly on par with the other attack tile powers...at max level). And I'm not seeing the survivability aspect. Even if you manage to get that 10 AP, which is unlikely before the enemy starts pulling the powers you want to absorb with it, you need to have her match a set to get her in front for that to actually work, and even at max level, that will pretty much only be on purple

Mknzy

Even though I am not giving it the biggest effort, I seem like I am going to rank REALLY well in Enemy of the State. I am currently sitting in 6th with no Electra. Looks like a top 5 may be in reach for me on this one. I actually am trying to get covers to finish out my patch for my future Patch/Loki/C Mags combo.

Casually ran through PvP, hit 530ish points, sitting unshielded for now, though I have my Lv 147 Lazy Thor and Lv 140 Hulk hanging out with my Lv 102 Deadpool, so I'm not terribly worried.

I'm back in my hometown for Christmas, and since I was last here a few weeks back, one of my little brothers plays MPQ, and so does my girlfriend. It's pretty funny. In the Deadpool PvP I dropped all my whales (practically giving these whales away!) so everyone could see it, it was a good time.

shaowebb

Except she takes 3-4xs as much ISO as those other characters, which her abilities are only roughly on par to (her purple is 1)conditional and 2) less damage than moves like battleplan or sacrifice, much less these new gotg strike powers, and her red is pretty much exactly on par with the other attack tile powers...at max level). And I'm not seeing the survivability aspect. Even if you manage to get that 10 AP, which is unlikely before the enemy starts pulling the powers you want to absorb with it, you need to have her match a set to get her in front for that to actually work, and even at max level, that will pretty much only be on purple

You mean to tell me you never put someone on point and then match team up tiles? Its easy to get someone to go in front. Plus she has a lot of red and black priority making it pretty easy to get her in front when needed if you manage to level her even without the team up tile trick.

And as for damage its hard to stop it from her. Dance of death hides a tile that deals damage at the start of every turn and her double double cross puts out a ton of attack bonus tiles. She can roll up damage insanely quick and still stay safer than most who try that.

It's cool and all that you crunched some numbers to see who had the highest damage but she sets up scenarios of tiles on the board that just make those base numbers moot quick because of the bonus damage from her tiles + turn start damage from dance of death + how any attempts to take her the fuck down via tile popping or otherwise results in you killing yourself. Every turn she gets damage, any move on the board starts to hit severely and any retaliation attempts to end this get you even more damage. Put her with a solid battery or AP thief and she will be a major threat.

She's good Spoit. Your cool and all but your nitpicking this one a little too much. She's really a threat. When folks get leveled ones she's gonna show up a lot.

Mknzy

So I don't know if I just got a lazy bracket or what but I am tearing up this event. Sitting first in this bracket and second overall even with no electra. Kinda crazy.

Mknzy

That is why I prefer shorter events. If you get a tough bracket in a long one, you are hosed for a week.

I don't remember the last time I didn't have a rough bracket in anything. I have never had the kind of rankings I am holding right now even with me trying as hard as I can. I'm not complaining but I'm enjoying it.

I don't remember the last time I didn't have a rough bracket in anything. I have never had the kind of rankings I am holding right now even with me trying as hard as I can. I'm not complaining but I'm enjoying it.

I'm experiencing the same. Maybe people are lazy over the holiday?

X-Men is looking for members, btw. Some guy posted in the FB group I'm in.

Mknzy

I'm experiencing the same. Maybe people are lazy over the holiday?

X-Men is looking for members, btw. Some guy posted in the FB group I'm in.

I'm getting lucky on packs as well. Just pulled an Electra and have also pulled a Beast, Mohawk, and Falcon cover. Made my first pass through the new zone and am sitting strong at first across the board and finished first last event as well. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

I really appreciate all the recommendations to level up Lazy cap. I have him at 3/5/2 and his red hitting for 3000+ is deadly.

In other news, I pulled what has to be my 10th green Patch cover. Still not a single red dammit.

I really appreciate all the recommendations to level up Lazy cap. I have him at 3/5/2 and his red hitting for 3000+ is deadly.

In other news, I pulled what has to be my 10th green Patch cover. Still not a single red dammit.

Yeah, my LCap red hits for like 3800. Plus it hits again 3 later. So good.

Stick with the PVE - top 150 gets a red patch cover :)

NineH

What's the consensus on Daredevil now? 5/3/5 or 3/5/5? I'm leaning towards 3/5/5 myself since the damage on the purple seems low and the enemy tiles don't occur too much unless you do Patch shenanigans. On the other hand, I'm not too sold on billy club since I haven't experienced a perma-stun chain myself although it seems interesting and has more potential than the purple power.

Mknzy

Apparently the PvE final node is broken.

Yup, even if you clear it, it starts you right back into it again. It seems like when I retreat though I am not losing health from doing so.

I have a fairly substantial lead right now if I can maintain it. I am up by about 10000 points in the main bracket and sitting 1/1 again right now. Going to push hard over the weekend and hopefully I can land a 2nd Electra cover and a full set of covers for my Patch.

Yup, even if you clear it, it starts you right back into it again. It seems like when I retreat though I am not losing health from doing so.

I have a fairly substantial lead right now if I can maintain it. I am up by about 10000 points in the main bracket and sitting 1/1 again right now. Going to push hard over the weekend and hopefully I can land a 2nd Electra cover and a full set of covers for my Patch.

I'm in top 20 overall, which is way better than I thought I could do. Those waves are great for points!

Mknzy

So I have to get this out there. If this Gorgan runs as well as a 3 star character as he is currently in this event he is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Mknzy

He is kicking my ass in this wave of the event. An attack that hits for about 2k and drains ap? Now I admit that ability and his others are fueled by them pairing him with the hood goons that generate his colors so he can fire them much more rapidly but it's increasingly becoming more of a case of if I can kill Gorgon then I can win this node.

He is kicking my ass in this wave of the event. An attack that hits for about 2k and drains ap? Now I admit that ability and his others are fueled by them pairing him with the hood goons that generate his colors so he can fire them much more rapidly but it's increasingly becoming more of a case of if I can kill Gorgon then I can win this node.

Yeah, I hate when Wolverine shows up and can pop an Adamantium Slash right away from the goons collecting red. I use GSBW to steal a lot of it to fuel Lazy Cap. Then I have Lazy Thor waiting in the wings with yellow and green, just in case.

In the "tough" wave level in the last mission, I had three LCap Reds ready to come back to me in the same round. I didn't even need them. It was an embarrassment of red riches. So fun!

Mknzy

Yeah, I hate when Wolverine shows up and can pop an Adamantium Slash right away from the goons collecting red. I use GSBW to steal a lot of it to fuel Lazy Cap. Then I have Lazy Thor waiting in the wings with yellow and green, just in case.

In the "tough" wave level in the last mission, I had three LCap Reds ready to come back to me in the same round. I didn't even need them. It was an embarrassment of red riches. So fun!

These survival nodes have taught me one important thing. The amount of ap in any color you can collect is capped at thirty. So say if you are running Thor. You have 26 ap in green and are about to fire yellow. In that case it makes more sense to fire green first because otherwise you will likely have wasted ap from chains caused by yellow going off. This event had caused me to track my ap much more closely than before so I don't waste ap.

I like the way the new gonna work. To me the most annoying are the guys who do the caltrops and create shield tiles. The ones who drop the attack tiles when they go down won't generate them if you stun them first and are otherwise little threat. The big guys are the biggest threat as they can heal themselves for insane amounts and do crazy damage. Those are just one step shy of being as nasty ad Maggia muscles. The oother ones aren't too bad but can overwhelm you if you let their black get out of control.

Caltrops is most annoying because of the extra time it takes, along with shuriken.

I don't mind the healing guy. I usually attack his buddies and let him heal while I get their health down. Then his heal kills them off and I whack him with a few LCap Red shots. Done!

Mknzy

Caltrops is most annoying because of the extra time it takes, along with shuriken.

I don't mind the healing guy. I usually attack his buddies and let him heal while I get their health down. Then his heal kills them off and I whack him with a few LCap Red shots. Done!

Problem is if you can't match his red out. It can do stupid amounts of damage, I've seen it so well over three thousand.

Mknzy

His stun is really good and he can also do good damage with his stuff. I'd like to have one if he comes out. I wonder when he'll be out as a playable?

Probably not too long. We already know he is going to be a new 3 star. My guess is that he will be out within a month.

shaowebb

Just about to get my last red cover for Patch. Was fishing for that Mohawk Storm cover but doesn't look like I'll get it because I'm not gonna get 25k in 18 hours. This is a good PVE honestly. Lots of xp to farm from it. Took my old wolvy I neglected up 16 levels alongside of about 10 levels for other folks here and there and a lot of recruit tokens abounded because of how many parts it was in. If this event comes up again with any of the newer characters as prizes it'll be a favorite for me since it power levels and loads me with good chances to draw covers.

Yeah I just wrapped up the progression rewards with a Mohawk cover, my fifth for that particular ability. I've been playing almost solely for the event tokens, trying unsuccessfully to pull an Elektra. One day...

On the plus side, I keep getting Gamora covers, so I've got her at 3/3/0 at Lv 79 (can go up to 89, I think).

Mknzy

I'm at close to 160000 points now still sitting well into first place and hoping to hold that I'm up by about 16000 points now. I've never had first place so here is hoping.

Top Bottom