• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Ape

Banned
I don't get why you are jelly...
do you really want this to be the first thing you see when you enter a match (aside from every once in a while a bot team that is quickly replaced with this)

those are the first three teams I saw after skipping the single round of bot teams I had in the captain pvp which I just started.

I try to get an early start so i get the bot teams as much as possible, they can be cleared out with minimal damage sustained.

All I care about it getting to 300 myself. That gets me a hero pack and a ** or better cover.

zulux21

I try to get an early start so i get the bot teams as much as possible, they can be cleared out with minimal damage sustained.

All I care about it getting to 300 myself. That gets me a hero pack and a ** or better cover.

I used to care about things like that, but then it dawned on me that I had about as good of odds going and buying lotto tickets as I did to getting hero tokens to give me a usable cover anymore.

back in the day the drop rates for higher covers were not only better in general but there weren't so many characters so the odds were if you got a cover it would help you. Now the only covers I ever seem to get are the 6 or so that I have maxed on characters :/

If I am going to grind for an hour or two for a hero I might as well do that in PVE where I can easily choose what 3 star hero I get.

NineH

If I am going to grind for an hour or two for a hero I might as well do that in PVE where I can easily choose what 3 star hero I get.

I wonder with all these time slices and whatever else d3 implemented into the game if entering late is still viable. I joined the last PvE with less than an hour to go and I was bracketed into one where the lead player had over 100,000 points. I ended up at around 300th place after playing like mad for that hour. In my experience, d3's tinkering may have screwed with the late entering players.

Dispatch

I was more than a little disappointed that the final reward for this PVE event is a PURPLE Loki. Why not green, since so many people have a maxed out purple Loki, anyway?

I wonder with all these time slices and whatever else d3 implemented into the game if entering late is still viable. I joined the last PvE with less than an hour to go and I was bracketed into one where the lead player had over 100,000 points. I ended up at around 300th place after playing like mad for that hour. In my experience, d3's tinkering may have screwed with the late entering players.
From what I've seen, you get bracketed automatically after choosing a time slot.

zulux21

I haven't had any issues but Spoit has pointed out it's likely due to my minimalistic approach allowing me to be shoved into lower difficulty brackets.

I don't get why you are jelly...
do you really want this to be the first thing you see when you enter a match (aside from every once in a while a bot team that is quickly replaced with this)

those are the first three teams I saw after skipping the single round of bot teams I had in the captain pvp which I just started.

Oh, I misunderstood. Sorry! I thought you were saying your teams were the OP superteams.

That sucks. At least I get to 500 before they appear!

That said, this PVP is kicking my balls in. Scrub teams are defeating me, and I don't know why. They are getting incredibly lucky with cascades - it can't just be a coincidence!

I haven't played the PvE for almost 12 hours, and now everything is at a 8.5hrs till full points.

Shouldn't it already be full since I haven't played it? or does it always do that when the points jump significantly?

edit: nevermind. an hour later everything was at full points. so I guess it was just some glitch in the system.

cvben

Sometimes I wonder why I still play this game. I love match 3 games, but it gets kind of old taking my maxed characters against a team of level 40 something characters only to watch miraculous cascade after cascade of critical hits followed by about 4 minutes solid of hero powers then team ups which damage my team past the point of oblivion.

Mknzy

I'm sitting out this event for the most part as Electra looks like she is going to be really weak for a 4* and I will likely never get enough covers for her to make her usable even if I manage a top 50 finish to get her. I will push when the final event comes and I can get my free Sentry cover, at least. If they were giving a Green Loki cover for progression I would at least consider pushing hard for that, but they are doing purple, which I already have at 3 and I am planning to build him 5/3/5

I'm sitting out this event for the most part as Electra looks like she is going to be really weak for a 4* and I will likely never get enough covers for her to make her usable even if I manage a top 50 finish to get her. I will push when the final event comes and I can get my free Sentry cover, at least. If they were giving a Green Loki cover for progression I would at least consider pushing hard for that, but they are doing purple, which I already have at 3 and I am planning to build him 5/3/5

Sounds like a good plan. I'll be joining you.

Mknzy

Sounds like a good plan. I'll be joining you.

I do enjoy the game a lot still, just the scaling is getting out of hand for me and I am kinda sick of doing the same events over and over again. Plus it was a big morale dip for me when I pushed as hard as I did on Gauntlet and couldn't earn that green Loki cover. I am thrilled at the idea that there are some new trash mobs coming, for The Hand. That should mean some new events, and not playing these same ones over and over.

Yeah, I'm unlikely to get an Elektra. Sitting in the 70s and 80s and she's top 50. Guess we'll see how the weekend goes, but I'm not too confident.

keiichi

I don't really understand this game.. Is the only way to level up characters by using covers to skill them up? I have a Thor that I was hoping to level and I keep running the same mission because it lists the cover as a potential drop but haven't gotten anything yet.

I've pulled a captain marvel who is level 40 but there's no way to get her stronger yet (unless I run either a special PVE event or PVP)

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Also, what's the best way to get hero points to increase roster space?

Ape

Banned
I don't really understand this game.. Is the only way to level up characters by using covers to skill them up? I have a Thor that I was hoping to level and I keep running the same mission because it lists the cover as a potential drop but haven't gotten anything yet.

I've pulled a captain marvel who is level 40 but there's no way to get her stronger yet (unless I run either a special PVE event or PVP)

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Also, what's the best way to get hero points to increase roster space?

yes, when you first get a character they are at a set level until you provide that character with a new cover. after that you can level up the character a couple levels. Provide another cover and level up some more. The level cap increases every time you apply a cover to the character.

Good luck with gold. The best way to get it early is to do the single player missions that offer 50 after a victory. You might have to play the mission a few times.

Do all of the story missions. You will get enough HP to expand your roster at least twice, plus a ton of one and two star covers and tokens.

Yeah, I'm unlikely to get an Elektra. Sitting in the 70s and 80s and she's top 50. Guess we'll see how the weekend goes, but I'm not too confident.
I don't like the time slice automatically putting you in a bracket. I am in a bad one for Electra and have no way to catch up.

Are you going to try the Loki PvP?

Yeah, I'm considering dropping my 2-star Craptain America, because he's hot garbage. That way I don't have to spend HP on a new slot.

He really is. I only have one because for some reason they have a hard on for boosting 2 Star Cap for events and pretending Steve Rogers doesn't exist (much to my dismay).

Oh, also, I'm back at the MPQ. I've weirdly managed to get 2 Deadpool Covers from Normal tokens, a Doc Oc from a Heroic, and 2 Sentry's all in the past 2 days.

Malmorian

He really is. I only have one because for some reason they have a hard on for boosting 2 Star Cap for events and pretending Steve Rogers doesn't exist (much to my dismay).

Oh, also, I'm back at the MPQ. I've weirdly managed to get 2 Deadpool Covers from Normal tokens, a Doc Oc from a Heroic, and 2 Sentry's all in the past 2 days.

Damn nice. Just pulled a DP as well, 1st red cover ( have 1 pink ) so it's ok. Could really use a black Hulk or any Patch. All these new chars are killing my drop rate

Ape

Banned
I could use a second deadpool. I have his red but everyone else that had red right now is a lot better so he's not getting too much use.

With 90 min to go in the Loki PvP, I rang up 635 pts, good enough for (when I stopped with 14 min left) 42nd. Got neck deep in fully maxed teams with Patch/Hulk/Lazy Thor/etc, which is generally when I stop and shield. I'll get me a red Deadpool out of it, my fourth.

With 90 min to go in the Loki PvP, I rang up 635 pts, good enough for (when I stopped with 14 min left) 42nd. Got neck deep in fully maxed teams with Patch/Hulk/Lazy Thor/etc, which is generally when I stop and shield. I'll get me a red Deadpool out of it, my fourth.

Mine is over in a few hours. Going to hopefully shield hop from 30th into top 25. Could use a couple Deadpools, as I only have one purple for him ATM.

Mknzy

Only a few more missions to get my free Sentry cover. Gonna rank somewhere in the 800s overall but I don't really care, just wasn't feeling this event. At least the next one should likely be something new.

shaowebb

Yeah just got my Sentry cover. Puts me at 3/2/2. I don't play much these days, but I have just about everyone. Last landslide of normal tokens I got I managed to pull a Captain Marvel 3 star and a Lazy Thor.

Game wants me back I guess.

Hard to give you recomendations without knowing your roster, what are your options?

IM40-166
Xforce-147
GSBW-127
Pun-127
Patch-127
LCap-114
Sentry-114
Hulk-114

Then all the standard **s at 94 and a few other *** in the same range.

I've tried a few combos and have been slapped down badly.

IM40-166
Xforce-147
GSBW-127
Pun-127
Patch-127
LCap-114
Sentry-114
Hulk-114

Then all the standard **s at 94 and a few other *** in the same range.

I've tried a few combos and have been slapped down badly.

Patch/Lcap/IM166

Depending on your colors, I grind yellows then recharge with IM40. Then when he's stunned I'll use Patches red to instally kill Thor, followed by a green attack and a stun from cap.

If the red isn't cutting it or I can't get enough to recharge, I'll throw down some patch strike tiles then use caps red to eliminate the enemies strike tiles. Followed by a stun. This gives me a huge advantage and normally knocks out the toughest guy.

Edit: shoot. Can't use cap against cap and patch against wolveriene. Well I don't know.
Maybe widow, punisher and Sentry. Focus on green and purple and you should make some progress.

Mknzy

OK then, with that roster I would run IM40, Punisher, and OBW if you have her. Focus on matching purple when you can, and try to deny yellow to Thor and Red to LCap. Use Punisher's green to amp your damage, and use OBW purple for AP denial. Your kill shots will be your attacks with IM40 and using the percentage option with Punisher's red to finish enemies off. Your biggest challenge will be AP denial, their big bombs will be Thor's yellow/green and red from LCap and Wolvie (assuming it is 2*, I haven't gotten there yet) play a defensive game, match the colors they need to kill you as much as possible, steal AP whenever possible, and throw your bombs whenever they are available. At least that is how I would go for it. Good luck!

Mknzy

New event, Enemy of the State, starts tomorrow featuring Electra, The Hand, and a brainwashed Wolverine. They also announced new Survival Mode missions where you fight waves of enemies back to back with no chance to recover in between. Looking forward to how those play out. Also they seem to have completely revamped Wolverine's art, so I am looking forward to seeing that. All of this starts tomorrow!

Thanks for all the tips! Sadly my Patch doesn't have a single red so that's never an option.

I ended up doing it with IM40, the buffed Ares and a series of very lucky GSBW cascades.

Mknzy

Thanks for all the tips! Sadly my Patch doesn't have a single red so that's never an option.

I ended up doing it with IM40, the buffed Ares and a series of very lucky GSBW cascades.

Plus if Wolverine was one of your enemies you would not have been able to use Patch anyway *laughs*

Good job clearing it!

Top Bottom