• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Dispatch

I'm on vacation, so I haven't had time (nor the desire) to grind for anything, just in case anyone was wondering about my lack of participation lately.

Mknzy

I'm now in the lead by 32000 points in the main bracket. I can't believe this, I have NEVER done so well in an event, and I am not really doing anything differently than I usually do when I am actually trying. Usually my way of doing it manages me a top 50 when I try, but I have NEVER finished high enough to get a 4* cover. I'm excited. I can't slack, but I seem to more or less have it in the bag.

He does look pretty good, and I suppose it makes sense to have him in with Daredevil and all.

Haha! So on the last day of this PvE Hand thing, I decide to toss 200 HP towards a cover pull, and of course it's a purple Elektra. Victory!

Mknzy

So yeah defidently had a great event.

14%2B-%2B1

14%2B-%2B3

14%2B-%2B2

shaowebb

Wow. I'm just happy with my top 10! With more diligence I could have hit the top, though.

It was a good event. Easy to get exp from that one and pretty good for getting recruit cover chances. Seeing Luke Cage makes me beg the question though...when's Iron Fist?

It was a good event. Easy to get exp from that one and pretty good for getting recruit cover chances. Seeing Luke Cage makes me beg the question though...when's Iron Fist?

That is a good question. He was teased back when Sentry was being released, and still hasn't made it into the game. They must have just decided to refocus a bit. Would be nice to get all the Marvel Street-level characters out at once--maybe a Daredevil event to kick off their release?

Am I crazy or did the entry time thing make PVE fairer? I held onto my position pretty much all through enemy of the state and that was without Elektra. I only had to do one full run through of each subevent.

Is the grind dead? I guess we'll see how simulator goes, but that was the most enjoyable and rewarding PVE ive done in ages.

Mknzy

Am I crazy or did the entry time thing make PVE fairer? I held onto my position pretty much all through enemy of the state and that was without Elektra. I only had to do one full run through of each subevent.

Is the grind dead? I guess we'll see how simulator goes, but that was the most enjoyable and rewarding PVE ive done in ages.

I think I read somewhere that they took the "Veterans" with really high level rosters (EG multiple 270 characters) into their own bracketing, and those are the most active players. We will see how simulator goes, but I have a bit of hope I might pull out a Lady Thor.

I think I read somewhere that they took the "Veterans" with really high level rosters (EG multiple 270 characters) into their own bracketing, and those are the most active players. We will see how simulator goes, but I have a bit of hope I might pull out a Lady Thor.

Definitely seeing less attacks, whether I'm shielded or not shielded. I guess there's less 270 X-Forces, too, though a ton of them with 8,000-ish points.

Mknzy

Man, as much as I want Luke Cage, I can't bring myself to get excited for this Simulator PvE. I really wish they would give us 2 days off between events or something. I need a break between events.

Spoit

No, not even close. It's taking the better part of a week for 'veteran' brackets to close, so you're quite likely to not even have a chance as soon as you enter it

Spoit

For who? I guess I'm not understanding.

You guys who actually have brackets that fill. I joined the one that gave away elektra at the start of the 2nd sub (since it took all of the first sub for the bracket to fill) and it only reached like 800/1000 by the end of the event

shaowebb

I joined last 6 hours on a PVP and nailed 2 Falcon covers only playing once. PVE entering late has worked out well for me too. Got a lot of covers recently...maxed out patch, got a ton of Mohawk Storm, some other stuff I can't remember.

I'm getting more 3 star than ever thanks to this. If it brings the lvl 100-ish and below folks in covers its a great thing at this point because its getting so ridiculous chasing all these 3 stars to build teams that I can see a lot of newer players ditching the game without stuff like this. After all...adding slots still costs many players money who don't consistently have a ton of gold laying around. A new player would end up with a lot of stuff they would have a hard time ever using due to lack of coves if it wasn't made easier for them to get into brackets that fill that they could win. Sure its harder at the top, but it keeps them able to draw in new blood and it allows them to keep adding all this content to keep the game exciting. Lets face it...new stuff is always exciting and keeps people coming back. If something wasn't done to alleviate "rich get richer" feelings that newcomers get they'd stop getting new money.

This change was good. Helps alleviate some issues with cover acquisition amongst a large portion of the players.

You guys who actually have brackets that fill. I joined the one that gave away elektra at the start of the 2nd sub (since it took all of the first sub for the bracket to fill) and it only reached like 800/1000 by the end of the event

Nah it's been a few days and it's only at 877.

Dalek

Im so confused reading this thread. Nothing substantial has changed in the game for me. I'm grinding like crazy and not getting any covers. My highest ranked card is a level 102 3 star Iron Man. Its certainly not any eaiser for me lately.

Brand new to the game four days ago and I've had totally superb luck with a Gamora, Nick Fury, Hulk and She-Hulk early on, but wow without upgrades, you're just a sitting duck. I'm not quite sure how to grind for anything so I'm trying all the timed events and reading back through the thread.

NineH

Im so confused reading this thread. Nothing substantial has changed in the game for me. I'm grinding like crazy and not getting any covers. My highest ranked card is a level 102 3 star Iron Man. Its certainly not any eaiser for me lately.

Same here. The time sharding has actually made the PvE more difficult for me since entering late just puts me in a bracket where the top players have already been playing for days and as a result, I can't catch up to their astronomical scores.

Mknzy

Brand new to the game four days ago and I've had totally superb luck with a Gamora, Nick Fury, Hulk and She-Hulk early on, but wow without upgrades, you're just a sitting duck. I'm not quite sure how to grind for anything so I'm trying all the timed events and reading back through the thread.

The best thing you can do early is build up a team of 1* hero's then transition into a team of 2* hero's. While you are doing that you can build up your 3* roster. Id be happy to help with anything i can.

The best thing you can do early is build up a team of 1* hero's then transition into a team of 2* hero's. While you are doing that you can build up your 3* roster. Id be happy to help with anything i can.

So struggling with a full roster of 3 star characters with few powers is just the worst idea?

shaowebb

So struggling with a full roster of 3 star characters with few powers is just the worst idea?

You'll do far better getting all the covers for a good 1 or 2 star and fully leveling them in the early game than chasing nothing but 3 stars. There are just too many 3 star covers to collect and the amount of slots and iso you'd require would get rough without a team to help you win gold enough to cover it. Good early characters are black widow, Wolverine, Daken, Thor, Storm, Juggernaut, MN Magneto, Ares, Classic Storm...couple of others. You'll see these covers often enough so if you focus on them you will see them progress much faster than trying to latch onto the random 3 star that drops your way as the backbone of your wins.

You are getting lots of good advice, but there are two things to mention:

1) getting *** covers can take forever. If possible don't sell them.

2) run through all the single player content first that will open up a lot of HP for you to buy roster spots

Nah, it's necessary. I'd say focus on PvP when you find heros you're looking to level in the prize pool. It's fairly easy to get in the top 100, and depending on how frequently you win, pretty easy to get into the top 25. It's how I power leveled my top class. As for PvE, hell if I know. I basically just go for the point based prizes, since I'm always ranking around #300 unless I put in a good chunk of time frequently. I've never been able to get the timing down, guess it just doesn't work with my schedule.

And I always spend my hero points on recruit tokens when they're discounted. Maybe keep a little nest egg for shielding if I'm looking for a top spot in PvP. How I broke out of the middle ground anyway.

Okay thanks everyone. I have made some serious mistakes it looks like. I have seven 3-star characters and one 4 star character and nothing else. Only two of them have more than one power. So I have hit points but I am useless against level 30 soldiers with special abilities.

So my strategy is perhaps let go one 3 star and pick a 2-star I can level fairly frequently and have them in my mix.

I have to say the design of this game is super impressive and feels fair even though it is a grim f2p grind. You always feel like the next RNG could come good. I have had amazing luck with drops.

Spoit

Same here. The time sharding has actually made the PvE more difficult for me since entering late just puts me in a bracket where the top players have already been playing for days and as a result, I can't catch up to their astronomical scores.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant about it being less fair

shaowebb

Okay thanks everyone. I have made some serious mistakes it looks like. I have seven 3-star characters and one 4 star character and nothing else. Only two of them have more than one power. So I have hit points but I am useless against level 30 soldiers with special abilities.

So my strategy is perhaps let go one 3 star and pick a 2-star I can level fairly frequently and have them in my mix.

I have to say the design of this game is super impressive and feels fair even though it is a grim f2p grind. You always feel like the next RNG could come good. I have had amazing luck with drops.
Currently what is your roster?

Which 3 stars do you have? Play through the normal story events (venom, etc) to get more hp and use it for roster slots only. If you have to have a 2 star to advance, I would use Wolverine.

shaowebb

Which 3 stars do you have? Play through the normal story events (venom, etc) to get more hp and use it for roster slots only. If you have to have a 2 star to advance, I would use Wolverine.

If he gets enough for 2 slots he should acquire the team of MN Magneto and C. Storm. It'll carry him very far in his early ventures into PVE and PVP at his rank.

Also Ares or Thor are two other choices to look at when picking 2 stars. Thor is a powerhouse who batteries with good health but takes a few turns. Ares is a healthy powerhouse who has some of the best damage in the game outside of 3 stars and he is a fast hitter to take out threats. Wolverine is a great all around who builds up overall damage, hits fast, has a powerful hit in his red who can heal himself so he is probably gonna be the best long run single 2 star to shoot for if he only has a single slot though...him or Thor.

My roster

Nick Fury lvl 70 - 1/0/0
Gamora lvl 43 - 1/1/0
The Hulk lvl 43 - 1/1/0
Daredevil lvl 40 - 1/0/0
Deadpool lvl 40 - 0/1/0
Rocket + Groot lvl 40 - 1/0/0
She Hulk lvl 40 - 0/1/0
Mohawk Storm lvl 40 - 0/0/1
Classic Storm lvl 23 - 0/2/0
Thor lvl 15 - 1/0/0

I've deleted a lot of good characters and covers because I didn't know how things worked but this is where I stand. That's heaps of slots. I have no problem getting rid of a 3-star if it makes more sense to have more 2-stars to level up.

I'm guessing now I should go replay some early story stuff to fill out the covers? I'm halfway through Oscorp and I'm getting devoured by those 3-turn delay moves.

Thanks so much everybody.

Dalek

fb0.jpg

You shouldn't have deleted those other characters. The ones you have now require rare drops to level up. You're going to be hard pressed to get cards to level up Gamora, Rocket and Deadpool, etc. . Your mainstays are going to need to be Thor, Magneto, Wolvie, 2 star storm, etc. spend your HP on slots and even pay a few bucks to get some slots.

Also I've found Modern Hawkeyes and Classic Black Widow to be 2 of the most useful characters when used in a support position. Hawkeye can win a game for you by himself pretty much as long as you keep him from getting killed. His best move is Quickshot which activates anytime you make a 5 match, which is pretty easy with Magneto.

My roster

Nick Fury lvl 70 - 1/0/0
Gamora lvl 43 - 1/1/0
The Hulk lvl 43 - 1/1/0
Daredevil lvl 40 - 1/0/0
Deadpool lvl 40 - 0/1/0
Rocket + Groot lvl 40 - 1/0/0
She Hulk lvl 40 - 0/1/0
Mohawk Storm lvl 40 - 0/0/1
Classic Storm lvl 23 - 0/2/0
Thor lvl 15 - 1/0/0

I've deleted a lot of good characters and covers because I didn't know how things worked but this is where I stand. That's heaps of slots. I have no problem getting rid of a 3-star if it makes more sense to have more 2-stars to level up.

I'm guessing now I should go replay some early story stuff to fill out the covers? I'm halfway through Oscorp and I'm getting devoured by those 3-turn delay moves.

Thanks so much everybody.
You should sell She Hulk first and replay story missions until you get all the rewards. Classic storm is good if you fill her covers.

Mknzy

So I've decided to take a break on this event despite Luke Cage. I pushed hard on the last event with The Hand, and just need a break from the game. I really wish they would give us at least a day's downtime between events. He should be a progression reward in the next event so I will just go for that instead.

So I've decided to take a break on this event despite Luke Cage. I pushed hard on the last event with The Hand, and just need a break from the game. I really wish they would give us at least a day's downtime between events. He should be a progression reward in the next event so I will just go for that instead.
Yes, they will burn out players at this rate. Luckily, I knew early that I wouldn't be able to get a Luke Cage, so I can take it easy.

Mknzy

Yes, they will burn out players at this rate. Luckily, I knew early that I wouldn't be able to get a Luke Cage, so I can take it easy.

Actually I may end up getting him after all. Even without really trying I still pulled a top 50 in hard mode and a top 150 in normal, if I just clear the essentials a couple of times a day I may be able to pull a cover. Not going to press hard, but I will do at least that much.

Same here. I missed my finish on the first round and don't have it in me to push anymore.

After grinding to a heroic 10 pack, I got only one gold hero: Mystique. It helps to have another cover for her, but doesn't really improve my roster any. Disappointing.

Actually I may end up getting him after all. Even without really trying I still pulled a top 50 in hard mode and a top 150 in normal, if I just clear the essentials a couple of times a day I may be able to pull a cover. Not going to press hard, but I will do at least that much.

Yeah, I do barely any work in the simulator and I'm in top 50 overall. Not bad.

Dalek

After grinding to a heroic 10 pack, I got only one gold hero: Mystique. It helps to have another cover for her, but doesn't really improve my roster any. Disappointing.

I just got my 10 Pack and only got 2 golds: Captain Marvel and Deadpool. They could easily double these drop rates, for God's sake.

Triz

Gave up on pve and randomly went into the falcon pvp. It ends in an hour and I'm in 4th place. 3 covers will max my wolverine 2 will still be great. Also pulled a gamora cover from my heroic falcon token. Funny the game rewarded me a lot today.

shaowebb

I'm really enjoying this Patch PVP. Its letting me break in a team I've been wanting to use for awhile now...Patch/C Magneto/Falcon

Good color spread considering it has purple, blue, red, yellow and green and its a team where 2 of its 3 members can lay down shields so you don't have to fear using Patch's offense. Plus since Magneto creates massive cascades with his blue and red it triggers a lot more damage than normal thanks to Patch's tiles. Since his red only hits team ups and his blue focuses on moving around red and blue even though it pops some stuff it generally leaves patches attack multipliers alone. Plus every time you fish for yellow on this team you improve the power of your tiles and inch closer to magneto putting out even more shields. Plus if I have 5 blue right now on my team Redwing converts one of their team's tiles to a countdown tile which is messing up their own Patch tactics. Pop the redwing tile and the next turn it gets rid of another enemy tile.

I'm not having to heal between matches because I hardly take any damage and its cutting through folks pretty hard currently in 1st without hassle.

Top Bottom