• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Finished top 5 in Combined Arms, got my 3 Blade covers (rocking 4/3/4 now) and 5000 iso. He'll be a nice addition to the fold now that he has some decent health (4300ish health at Lv 104 or something).

Now just gonna get a couple Luke Cage covers in a few hours.

zulux21

decided to play a bit tonight
got a top 20 in the pve and currently sitting like
29ff2b9af3.jpg

I doubt it will last, but to be fair in the last 30 min the top person has only gotten 1 point >.>

I will have to double check but if I get the blade cover I think I am only missing electra.

decided to play a bit tonight
got a top 20 in the pve and currently sitting like

I doubt it will last, but to be fair in the last 30 min the top person has only gotten 1 point >.>

I will have to double check but if I get the blade cover I think I am only missing electra.

Insanity.

Mknzy

I'm kinda glad that I took Simulator off, I'm looking forward to diving in and shooting for the 3rd cover for Doom. Hopefully it wont be something like Heroic Juggernaut.

NineH

heh so it ended up well I got 3rd... one person beat me by 3 points and then another person who I am quite familiar with got first

DARN YOU SCRUFFY :p

I was thinking to stop gaining points since I didn't really need the yellow baglady but that guy got between us so I just went for it.

shaowebb

heh so it ended up well I got 3rd... one person beat me by 3 points and then another person who I am quite familiar with got first

DARN YOU SCRUFFY :p

Yeah I might end up in the same boat. I got 4 more hours left, but I gotta leave and deal with finance work on a new home so I won't be coming back to do anything. I should get me some blades but whether I stay in first...who knows.
b0oH3MQ.jpg

Plus does it even matter? Its Invisible Woman Yellow. It costs 18, and with each cover it only costs 1 less to use to hide someone. Even at max level all covers her other two abilities dont do much more than clutter the board because they can't deal much damage if popped.

Invisible Woman and Devil Dinosaur could use an overhaul.

New event is up. Its "Earth's Mightiest" where you make a team of Avengers and its reward is Luke Cage covers for folks like me who didn't bother. Current PVE is also up...It's Hulk but the reward is the new Doom covers.

Played a bit of Cage. His armor tile is decent. It always keeps things trim on normal damage which is good. His other abilities also have good damage. Too bad his art looks half as polished as the rest of the cast and suuuuuuuuucks.

He'd be okay on teams. He's a Yellow, Black and passive red. His Yellow hits hard but costs a bit and his black is cheap and easy to use, but also looks too easy to pop in spite of its long countdown time. I could see some annoying uses for him on teams, but unless I make a backup Thor meant to battery yellow I could see him taking a bit to get goin unless you manage to keep his countdown tile safe. Smart tactic might be to wait till you have 12 black and pop jab jab cross twice that way you can get the extra damage and stun off. At max level its hits for 4 grand at a cost of 6. As spoit would say though...just use Black Panther for a solid yellow black dude though. Cheaper.

shaowebb

I see him as a good character but always second stringer. He can put in the work, keep it fairly low cost on damage, but he's not fast and not the strongest in his colors. He's a solid dude to tag in and out on teams though to conserve on health packs. Nothing bad about him, just nothing incredible. Even his protect tile which can get as high as 233 only appears if no other protect tiles exist...I'd rather use Falcon or Magneto protect tiles in that case so I can hedge my bet that they won't get rid of all my defense in a single shot. Its great that it comes back in a turn , but a lot of damage goes down in a turn...especially with board destroying tools. Plus guys like L. Daken could ruin his tiles pretty fast.

Mknzy

So we have The Hulk next for our event, giving away the new Purple Doom cover. Notable progression rewards include a Luke Cage cover at the end of the ladder.

Powered up characters

Strong Skin
Punny Punny Foo Foo
Tree with a Racoon in it
Fishnets
Little Bic
Shieldbro

Spoit

I see him as a good character but always second stringer. He can put in the work, keep it fairly low cost on damage, but he's not fast and not the strongest in his colors. He's a solid dude to tag in and out on teams though to conserve on health packs. Nothing bad about him, just nothing incredible. Even his protect tile which can get as high as 233 only appears if no other protect tiles exist...I'd rather use Falcon or Magneto protect tiles in that case so I can hedge my bet that they won't get rid of all my defense in a single shot. Its great that it comes back in a turn , but a lot of damage goes down in a turn...especially with board destroying tools. Plus guys like L. Daken could ruin his tiles pretty fast.

The thing is, 250 pretty much neutralizes all match damage, which is like 3k damage over the course of an average fight. And it doesn't matter if it's matched or destroyed, since it automatically regenerates! (if, like you said, you're not running anyone else with them).

The yellow is like 7-8k damage (I forget the exact ammount), which yeah is worse than doom or cmag's 10 AP moves, but is still pretty high up there for single damage nukes. And pretty soundly beats hood's 15 AP move in terms of raw damage, much less putting your squishiest person in front, setting up a match 4-5 for the enemy, and then ending your turn. Especially since there is a yellow sized hole (with how crazy charged tiles are) in most x-force+thor teams, recovery is silly when you're near full health and a 1200 AoE really isn't anything to write home about.

And once you get black going, the damage/AP ratio is pretty darn high. Blows even fireball and a little off the top away

shaowebb

The thing is, 250 pretty much neutralizes all match damage, which is like 3k damage over the course of an average fight. And it doesn't matter if it's matched or destroyed, since it automatically regenerates! (if, like you said, you're not running anyone else with them).

The yellow is like 7-8k damage (I forget the exact ammount), which yeah is worse than doom or cmag's 10 AP moves, but is still pretty high up there for single damage nukes. And pretty soundly beats hood's 15 AP move in terms of raw damage, much less putting your squishiest person in front, setting up a match 4-5 for the enemy, and then ending your turn. Especially since there is a yellow sized hole (with how crazy charged tiles are) in most x-force+thor teams, recovery is silly when you're near full health and a 1200 AoE really isn't anything to write home about.

And once you get black going, the damage/AP ratio is pretty darn high. Blows even fireball and a little off the top away
If you negate his shield tile in a move like Thunderous Clap from Hulk though do they still take the damage from the attack? Also does he take any less damage from moves that target off of the board like Rage of the Panther that doesn't attack tiles? If he still takes the brunt of those with this tile in place it just means you prioritize hitting him first is all. He'll negate some nice damage early on, but if you battery up to face him properly and even load up with a Daken for support vs the tile placing it wont be a super high amount.

He's respectable in my eyes, but not a mainstay for me. Like I said...he aint the best at each individual thing he handles, but he is pretty good at what he does overall. He wont replace everyone but he can easily be my second stringer for several roles. If his health is good enough he might replace some characters though depending on what I am building the team for the most.

Spoit

If you negate his shield tile in a move like Thunderous Clap from Hulk though do they still take the damage from the attack? Also does he take any less damage from moves that target off of the board like Rage of the Panther that doesn't attack tiles? If he still takes the brunt of those with this tile in place it just means you prioritize hitting him first is all. He'll negate some nice damage early on, but if you battery up to face him properly it wont be a super high amount.

He's respectable in my eyes, but not a mainstay for me. Like I said...he aint the best at each individual thing he handles, but he is pretty good at what he does overall. He wont replace everyone but he can easily be my second stringer for several roles. If his health is good enough he might replace some characters though depending on what I am building the team for the most.

If a tile is destroyed with a move (or a match), it's accounted for in the damage before it's destroyed (this applies for strike tiles too). So yes, he'll take the 250 off of AoE attacks too, for how little that counts. Both of those moves are pretty darn slow though, you're not going to take them more than twice a match.

And let's be honest, the only protects that will actually cut into the damage abilities do are the 10+ AP ones like cap, falcon, and fury (and IW if for some ungodly reason you're using her). 8*35=280, cmags's protects are pretty equivalent to his "free" one, btw

And you're setting up a false dichotomy, compare him to spiderman instead.

shaowebb

If a tile is destroyed with a move (or a match), it's accounted for in the damage before it's destroyed (this applies for strike tiles too). So yes, he'll take the 250 off of AoE attacks too, for how little that counts. Both of those moves are pretty darn slow though, you're not going to take them more than twice a match.

And let's be honest, the only protects that will actually cut into the damage abilities do are the 10+ AP ones like cap, falcon, and fury (and IW if for some ungodly reason you're using her). 8*35=280, cmags's protects are pretty equivalent to his "free" one, btw

And you're setting up a false dichotomy, compare him to spiderman instead.

Speaking of Spiderman isn't it kind of weird how little from Spidey is in the game? You'd think with the current Spiderverse stuff they'd be releasing other variants of Spiderman to play as or of Venom for that matter. I wonder if they'll ever get around to it.

Dispatch

That's a good point about Spidey. At first I was going to say it may be part of the curbing of Fox-owned media properties, but then look at how many iterations of Wolverine we have.

Mknzy

So I was all set to get into the Hulk event to get the progression Luke Cage and Doom Purple and I just can't seem to get myself to get started. I think I kinda burned myself out pushing so hard in the Hand event. I will try to get going after work today.

Dalek

So I was all set to get into the Hulk event to get the progression Luke Cage and Doom Purple and I just can't seem to get myself to get started. I think I kinda burned myself out pushing so hard in the Hand event. I will try to get going after work today.

I think I'm burning myself out of the game in general. The low drop rate for gold covers is really turning me off and I can never place high enough to get the good rewards in the tournaments. So it's like-what am I doing? I did something really dumb and used a gift card I got to pay for a 10 pack of the Hulk covers last night. I'm desperate to get some high level 3 or 4 stars going so I can be competitive. Not one gold cover in the entire 10 pack. I feel stupid for even spending it in the first place, but I think it proves that they've adjusted the drop rate and that's just ridiculous.

Mknzy

I think I'm burning myself out of the game in general. The low drop rate for gold covers is really turning me off and I can never place high enough to get the good rewards in the tournaments. So it's like-what am I doing? I did something really dumb and used a gift card I got to pay for a 10 pack of the Hulk covers last night. I'm desperate to get some high level 3 or 4 stars going so I can be competitive. Not one gold cover in the entire 10 pack. I feel stupid for even spending it in the first place, but I think it proves that they've adjusted the drop rate and that's just ridiculous.

They show you exactly what the drop rate is for each character is in the pack. On most of the heroic tokens it comes out to about a 2-4% chance to get a 4* character, a 16-18% chance to get a 3*, and the rest are all 2* characters. I would advise you that you don't have to rush to have a full 3* roster. Hell I've almost been playing a year and I only have 3 max level 3* characters and two others with full covers. I still use my OBW regularly, espically if she is buffed. I didn't even start leveling 3* characters until I had a few high level/maxed 2* characters I could use regularly. the 2*-3* transition is a long process, espically compared to going from 1* to 2*.

zulux21

That's a good point about Spidey. At first I was going to say it may be part of the curbing of Fox-owned media properties, but then look at how many iterations of Wolverine we have.

it could still be related to that. The xmen universe has a ton of characters that work well in this game, and the franchise in general is doing much better than the spiderman one right now. It could easily just be a focus on one of them to not gimp the game but to continue their attack on the spiderman brand to get it back under their control. Especially with the sony hacking issues (which is who has spiderman not fox, fox has xmen) I wouldn't be surprised if spiderman continued to take a back seat in a lot of marvel stuff.

my recommendation is if you start feeling like that, ignore the existence of tokens and treat events as the only way to get characters, and then sit out any event that doesn't have a character you want.

It's what I do anymore (aside from my daily log in), and thus I only play 1-2 hours a week or about an hour an event. and given how their bracketing works it has resulted in me being able to get a top 10 in pretty much any event I want to by joining with like 12 hours to go and playing the last hour.

They show you exactly what the drop rate is for each character is in the pack. On most of the heroic tokens it comes out to about a 2-4% chance to get a 4* character, a 16-18% chance to get a 3*, and the rest are all 2* characters. I would advise you that you don't have to rush to have a full 3* roster. Hell I've almost been playing a year and I only have 3 max level 3* characters and two others with full covers. I still use my OBW regularly, espically if she is buffed. I didn't even start leveling 3* characters until I had a few high level/maxed 2* characters I could use regularly. the 2*-3* transition is a long process, espically compared to going from 1* to 2*.

I've been playing over a year and I have only 1 max level 3 star character :p
but yeah the 1 to 2 star transition only takes about 5 hours if you know what you are doing :p
much shorter than the 2-3 one.... and this year we are gonna get a lot more focus on a 3-4 star transition (they said they were planning on releasing a lot of 4 stars this year)... and next year I wouldn't be surprised if there is a 4-5 star transition.

Dalek

my recommendation is if you start feeling like that, ignore the existence of tokens and treat events as the only way to get characters, and then sit out any event that doesn't have a character you want.

It's what I do anymore (aside from my daily log in), and thus I only play 1-2 hours a week or about an hour an event. and given how their bracketing works it has resulted in me being able to get a top 10 in pretty much any event I want to by joining with like 12 hours to go and playing the last hour.

Can you explain how this works, because I've tried it and it definitely does not work for me.

it could still be related to that. The xmen universe has a ton of characters that work well in this game, and the franchise in general is doing much better than the spiderman one right now. It could easily just be a focus on one of them to not gimp the game but to continue their attack on the spiderman brand to get it back under their control. Especially with the sony hacking issues (which is who has spiderman not fox, fox has xmen) I wouldn't be surprised if spiderman continued to take a back seat in a lot of marvel stuff.

I think it's weird that we have Storm, Wolvie, Juggernaut, Colossus and Mystique-but no Cyclops.

What is your roster like now? It is probably better than mine. I can compete in some events if I enter strategically and use plenty of boosts. Most of my good gold covers seem to come from normal recruit tokens anyway. Are you in a gaf alliance?

zulux21

Can you explain how this works, because I've tried it and it definitely does not work for me.

have you done it for long periods of time?
my super brackets didn't start happening until I was down to playing 3 hours a week on average for about 3-4 months. (before that I would likely play about 4-6 hours a day on average) I only actively go after the rewards in an event every other week anymore as most of the characters I don't care about having more than one cover for as I would never willingly use them over some other characters and thus won't ever put iso into them unless I was suddenly gifted a ton of iso.

Heck the game has me in a really weird bracket at this point. Typically the people I am grouped with don't play much and thus I don't have to get a ton of points to place high, but at the same time if I walk into any pvp event all I find are max level 3 and 4 star teams.

But yeah my huge reduction in playtime was when I realized the grind to the 10 pack in the season took at a min 10 hours of grinding. and I maybe had a 50/50 shot of getting a single 3 star cover, and at best a 5% chance of a cover I actually wanted. I had at least one cover of most things at the time... so instead of grinding for that I could instead use that 10 hours to work towards money IRL, and even assuming a very poor job I could get $50 with that 10 hours... which is 8500 HP or 3-6 covers I actually want (depending on if they are 3 or 4 stars) for the characters I have... thus why now all I worry about is getting 1 cover for each color for each character...

that being said I still haven't given them any money, because I don't care enough anymore.

I think it's weird that we have Storm, Wolvie, Juggernaut, Colossus and Mystique-but no Cyclops.
no one loves Beast :(
it's a little weird, but then again cyclops is one of the worst xmen there is so I don't mind if he isn't in the game.
totally need kitty pride with Lockheed though... alien dragons for the win :p

Dalek

What is your roster like now? It is probably better than mine. I can compete in some events if I enter strategically and use plenty of boosts. Most of my good gold covers seem to come from normal recruit tokens anyway. Are you in a gaf alliance?

This is my issue-I don't understand the strategy involving starting at a certain time. If I start too late-the only fights left for me are all like level 200+ characters.

I found a thread on their forums suggesting they incorporate a crafting system for covers-I'm all for this.

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21313

Spoit

Heck the game has me in a really weird bracket at this point. Typically the people I am grouped with don't play much and thus I don't have to get a ton of points to place high, but at the same time if I walk into any pvp event all I find are max level 3 and 4 star teams.

MMR is separate from bracketing

Dispatch

Especially with the sony hacking issues (which is who has spiderman not fox, fox has xmen) I wouldn't be surprised if spiderman continued to take a back seat in a lot of marvel stuff.

You're right. I forgot that Sony has the film rights to Spider-man.

In terms of burnout, it's possible to gauge pretty early in an event if you're going to do well. For instance, I the first two Hulk events and was outside of the top 300. That means it's not worth the work to get that purple Doom cover I covet, so I'm going to play the Hulk event a little bit, but not push to get a decent reward.

Based on person evidence, the bracket you get placed in is based on your recent past performance. I placed top 50 in the last event and got a Luke Cage cover. I had a good string before that. Now, it's harder to place well. I'll struggle for a bit, but then events will get easier after I get placed in a less difficult bracket.

I don't like it, but it's part of the free-to-play landscape on mobile. It hurts my enjoyment of the game, but not enough for me to stop playing it.

zulux21

Based on person evidence, the bracket you get placed in is based on your recent past performance. I placed top 50 in the last event and got a Luke Cage cover. I had a good string before that. Now, it's harder to place well. I'll struggle for a bit, but then events will get easier after I get placed in a less difficult bracket.

I don't like it, but it's part of the free-to-play landscape on mobile. It hurts my enjoyment of the game, but not enough for me to stop playing it.

it's a very long term thing with the brackets, because I often enter and then lose horribly for weeks at a time and then they actually do stuff like a new character and some characters I want and thus I take a top 50 in like 5 events in a row.

I think they even include the events you don't enter to some degree, as I think they are trying to get me to feel good and play again :p

Dalek

My roster:

Iron Man Model 40: Lv 102
Ares Lv 94
Original BW Lv 94
Daken (2 star) Lv 94
Modern Hawkeye Lv 94
Marvel Now Magneto Lv 94
Classic Storm Lv 94
Marvel Now Thor Lv 94
Astonishing Wolvie Lv 94
Falcon Lv 91
Rocket and Groot Lv 89
Steve Rogers Lv 87
X-Force Wolvie Lv 78
Nick Fury Lv 74
Devil Dinosaur Lv 73
Invisible Woman Lv 70
Grey Suit BW Lb 63
Captain Marvel Lv 55
Mohawk Storm Lv 55
Black Panther Lv 55
Modern Cap Levl 52 (still leveling)
Sentry Lv 52
Modern Storm Lv 50
Human Torch Lv 45 (still leveling)
Colossus Lv 45
Classic Daken Lv 45
Doc Ock Levl 44
Deadpool Lv 43
Blade Lv 43
Classic Magneto Lv 43
Mystique Lv 43
She Hulk Lv 43
Spider-Man Lv 43
Modern Thor Lv 43
Modern BW Lv 40
Juggernaut Lv 40
Psylocke Lv 40
Beast Lv 40
Daredevil Lv 40
Doctor Doom Lv 40
Classic Human Torch Lv 40
Loki Lv 40
Ragnarok Lv 40
The Hood Lv 40
The Hulk Lv 40
The Punisher Lv 40
Captain Marvel lv 26 (able to fully level)
Model 35 Iron Man lv 24 (still leveling)
Classic Hawkeye Lv 24 (still leveling)
Venom Lv 23 (still leveling)
Bullseye Lv 22 (still leveling)

With your highest level at 102, you should not be starting with such high level fights. The scaling must be screwing up. You could try skipping an event or two to see if it resets. There was a problem in a recent event where an alliance member was getting much lower level fights than I was despite him having higher level heroes. The MMR just gets confused sometimes apparently.

zulux21

so, random thought, it's been a while since team up titles replaced environment tiles...
still not a fan of them. I miss environment tiles :/ that made playing on certain stages more interesting. I rarely have the motivation to micromanage my team up tiles or care enough to stop them from being used against me.

so, random thought, it's been a while since team up titles replaced environment tiles...
still not a fan of them. I miss environment tiles :/ that made playing on certain stages more interesting. I rarely have the motivation to micromanage my team up tiles or care enough to stop them from being used against me.
I usually ignore them unless I am using Ms Marvel. Her yellow skill is useful when paired with modern Hawkeye.

Spoit

Yeah, the only use for TUs are if you are in an alliance that can consantly feed you AP steals or stuns for 2nd copies of characters, or you go farm overleveled powers from the rare non-dark avengers pve

Mknzy

I pay attention to team up pretty much only when I am using Panther, as if you have 12 team up AP it VASTLY improves Battleplan. I love matching him up with Punisher. Judgement -> Battleplan -> Rage of the Panther is deadly, and for whats left your doing 4 digit match damage.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a big fan of hitting Patch's green, then Daredevil's purple to smash people to bits. Super helpful. Spider-Man as the third to keep protect tiles up, and you've got a soup goin.

I'm another semi-burnout. I just play to 3-400 in each PVP and maybe screw around in a PVE if I really want the prize. Not bothering with the Hulk one, though.

My heart's not in it after pushing hard before, as others have said.

I say this every season, though...

In case anybody is skipping the current PVE event, there is a free green Hulk on one of the nodes. Sadly that's the only color I already have maxed, but a guaranteed *** is pretty rare these days.

Ape

Banned
In case anybody is skipping the current PVE event, there is a free green Hulk on one of the nodes. Sadly that's the only color I already have maxed, but a guaranteed *** is pretty rare these days.

Well, guess we know he's rotating out next season!

But really thanks, I haven't had any luck with Hulk covers and He's been sitting at lvl 40 forever.

Can someone explain the whole Deadpool Whales thing? I don't understand how the move works. My Deadpool is a useless 1/1/0 but I'm still curious.

Can someone explain the whole Deadpool Whales thing? I don't understand how the move works. My Deadpool is a useless 1/1/0 but I'm still curious.
If you have enough Deadpool points, he can do a super attack with whales. You earn points by winning a fight with Deadpool in your team every day.

If you have enough Deadpool points, he can do a super attack with whales. You earn points by winning a fight with Deadpool in your team every day.

Presumably it is a fairly powerful attack if you use enough points then....is that the case?

Also I just realized my hulk was at 4 green and not 5. Whoo-hoo!

Got my fourth green Rocket & Groot cover today off a Heroic token. 0/4/2 for them currently, a few thousand iso away from Lv 89. Good stuff.

Unfortunately for me I'm mostly an also-ran in this PvE, I've been at work for some of these whole sub-events. So I won't get a red Luke Cage cover, ah well.

Got my fourth green Rocket & Groot cover today off a Heroic token. 0/4/2 for them currently, a few thousand iso away from Lv 89. Good stuff.

Unfortunately for me I'm mostly an also-ran in this PvE, I've been at work for some of these whole sub-events. So I won't get a red Luke Cage cover, ah well.
I have 2 blue and 2 green. I'd really like to get a yellow for them.

Top Bottom