• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Dalek

Do the nodes get tougher every time you defeat them? Because I don't remember these teams on Hard modes being level 200 before now...

Managed one Squirrel Girl cover, but that's fine. I'll get one with the progression rewards of this Hunt re-run.

RocketGroots for top folks in the upcoming Captain Marvel PvP, too...

mreddie

Got one SG cover, Ares is a dick. HUGE DICK.

Seeing the next event, I do have that Thor cover too. Also, I need some Grockets.

Bigfoot

Yes, their levels go up as they refresh.
Do different players get different levels? I'm very new to the game and the last challenge on the tower event has level 100 guys. Everyone else is level 40 to 80 in the other challenges. Im doing pretty good for my first full event. I've been playing lots but I'm in the Top 10 overall against people that have pages of roster spots (I have 7).

Spoit

Do different players get different levels? I'm very new to the game and the last challenge on the tower event has level 100 guys. Everyone else is level 40 to 80 in the other challenges. Im doing pretty good for my first full event. I've been playing lots but I'm in the Top 10 overall against people that have pages of roster spots (I have 7).
Yes. My last node is 330

Bigfoot

Wow! I played a bunch today and managed to take second in that Heroic event. I should get enough coins to unlock 3 more roster spots. Right now I have 7 with a mix of 1 and 2 stars and one 3 star (Torch).

So do I try to keep Nick Fury or is it not worth having a 4 star so early? I think I'll keep Squirrel Girl since I'll get all 3 powers.

I have to say this game is addicting but I'm not sure I'll ever put in the work I did this time just to win an event.

zulux21

Yesss!

Two Squirrel Girl covers. What an incredible bracket I was in. Started late but not super late, still landed top 10 in sub bracket and 30whatever overall. Mainly just one pass through everything and a couple of repeats of Essentials to keep me in the top 50.

Amazing amazing amazing.

I am happy to report I got 2 as well. and now to ignore stuff for a while since the PVE is merely 3 star thor and while he isn't bad, I don't care enough to go after him in any meaningful way.

zulux21

Wow! I played a bunch today and managed to take second in that Heroic event. I should get enough coins to unlock 3 more roster spots. Right now I have 7 with a mix of 1 and 2 stars and one 3 star (Torch).

So do I try to keep Nick Fury or is it not worth having a 4 star so early? I think I'll keep Squirrel Girl since I'll get all 3 powers.

I have to say this game is addicting but I'm not sure I'll ever put in the work I did this time just to win an event.

while it will be forever before you get enough covers to makre fury really usable, it is not advised to ever get rid of any 3 or 4 stars since they are hard to get and are sometimes required for the highest point nodes in PVE.

In general it is recommended that if you can't get enough HP from events and grinding the story to just spend a few bucks to support the game and make slots for 3 and 4 stars so you don't get locked out of stuff later.

Bigfoot

How many points did you get Porthos?

I had about 113000... over half of which came from the last tower I think. I was in 8th place I think when the last tower started.

I never did complete the final challenge though.

while it will be forever before you get enough covers to makre fury really usable, it is not advised to ever get rid of any 3 or 4 stars since they are hard to get and are sometimes required for the highest point nodes in PVE.

In general it is recommended that if you can't get enough HP from events and grinding the story to just spend a few bucks to support the game and make slots for 3 and 4 stars so you don't get locked out of stuff later.
Thanks. I'll hold on for the week and if I don't get enough coins to unlock 3 more spots, I'll spend some money to keep him. It's 500 coins to unlock the next 3 roster spots and I'm at 150. I still have lots of the tutorial campaign to play though.

Ape

Banned
I had about 113000... over half of which came from the last tower I think. I was in 8th place I think when the last tower started.

I never did complete the final challenge though.

Thanks. I'll hold on for the week and if I don't get enough coins to unlock 3 more spots, I'll spend some money to keep him. It's 500 coins to unlock the next 3 roster spots and I'm at 150. I still have lots of the tutorial campaign to play though.

Lol I got like 35th with 140k.

The enemies are based on your roster levels, so don't level one guy way up until you have others to go with him. Since you are just starting, you are placed in an easier bracket. It will get harder to place as high as you enter more events so choose carefully.

Dalek

Does the timer on the nodes not recharge overnight? I played each one once last night and then this morning they still had their timers going stating 2 hours or so left until full points.

Bigfoot

The enemies are based on your roster levels, so don't level one guy way up until you have others to go with him. Since you are just starting, you are placed in an easier bracket. It will get harder to place as high as you enter more events so choose carefully.

I think going for the Top spot is a one time thing for me. I played way way too much the last few days.

For the next event (The Hunt) which starts for me soon, I was looking at the awards. I'd like to get 22000 points to get another Squirrel Girl card but I'd also like to place 151-400 to get a Captain America card. Think it can be done or will getting all the progression awards automatically put me in the Top 100?

One more question... I've avoided the Versus mode for the most part as the one time I played I did a few battles and then went back later to find people with teams beyond what I have a chance to beat. Is it still worth doing Versus or should I wait until I can level up some guys?

I think going for the Top spot is a one time thing for me. I played way way too much the last few days.

For the next event (The Hunt) which starts for me soon, I was looking at the awards. I'd like to get 22000 points to get another Squirrel Girl card but I'd also like to place 151-400 to get a Captain America card. Think it can be done or will getting all the progression awards automatically put me in the Top 100?

One more question... I've avoided the Versus mode for the most part as the one time I played I did a few battles and then went back later to find people with teams beyond what I have a chance to beat. Is it still worth doing Versus or should I wait until I can level up some guys?
You will get plenty of 2 star captains just from normal playing, but he isn't that great. Your placement will depend on what bracket the game puts you in. Just getting all the progression rewards doesn't mean you will place high. Go ahead and do it for the squirrel girl since you have her anyway.

For the PvP (versus), you can fight the starter teams for the early rewards. I often stop at 300 or 400 after getting the tokens and 25 hp. I would at least play the first fight for the standard token.

Does the timer on the nodes not recharge overnight? I played each one once last night and then this morning they still had their timers going stating 2 hours or so left until full points.
Did you fight the nodes more than once? That would make the recharge time longer.

Actually, the timers seem messed up right now.

Dalek

Did you fight the nodes more than once? That would make the recharge time longer.

Actually, the timers seem messed up right now.

No-but I think I see the issue. The timers in this event are about 6 hours long, but in the prior event it was about 3 hours.

Bigfoot

You will get plenty of 2 star captains just from normal playing, but he isn't that great. Your placement will depend on what bracket the game puts you in. Just getting all the progression rewards doesn't mean you will place high. Go ahead and do it for the squirrel girl since you have her anyway.

For the PvP (versus), you can fight the starter teams for the early rewards. I often stop at 300 or 400 after getting the tokens and 25 hp. I would at least play the first fight for the standard token.
Thanks... I'll swing by the Versus mode now and then.

What are some good characters to get? Right now I have:

* Iron Man
* Storm
* Venom
** Hawkeye
** Captain America
** Captain Marvel
** Wolverine
*** Falcon
*** Human Torch
*** Squirrel Girl

No one is over level 45 and I only have one power level for Falcon and only 2 for Torch (1 red and 1 green). I have almost all the power levels filled for Iron Man and Storm.

On my rewards list I have:

**** Nick Fury
*** Daredevil
** Magneto
** Thor
** Black Widow x2
** Daken x 2
** Bullseye x 2
** Ares

I'm thinking of adding the first 3 when I can buy 3 more roster spots. I've been selling all my other 1* covers.

Dalek

Thanks... I'll swing by the Versus mode now and then.

What are some good characters to get? Right now I have:

* Iron Man
* Storm
* Venom
** Hawkeye
** Captain America
** Captain Marvel
** Wolverine
*** Falcon
*** Human Torch
*** Squirrel Girl

No one is over level 45 and I only have one power level for Falcon and only 2 for Torch (1 red and 1 green). I have almost all the power levels filled for Iron Man and Storm.

On my rewards list I have:

**** Nick Fury
*** Daredevil
** Magneto
** Thor
** Black Widow x2
** Daken x 2
** Bullseye x 2
** Ares

I'm thinking of adding the first 3 when I can buy 3 more roster spots. I've been selling all my other 1* covers.

If it's the 2 star Black Widow-where she has black hair, that's a definite. Also, Thor, Daken, Magneto and Ares are all heavy hitters. I would get BW first, and then these others I've mentioned. She's a great support character-she can heal players during a match, increase enemy countdown timers and steal AP from the enemy. I'd say she's arguably my go-to character.

Bigfoot

If it's the 2 star Black Widow-where she has black hair, that's a definite. Also, Thor, Daken, Magneto and Ares are all heavy hitters. I would get BW first, and then these others I've mentioned. She's a great support character-she can heal players during a match, increase enemy countdown timers and steal AP from the enemy. I'd say she's arguably my go-to character.

Great. I'll add here before my covers for her expire in 5 days. I might just add her now and get rid of Venom... I don't have fun using him anyways. Is it worth it to hang on to a few 1 stars?

Get rid of venom now and recruit nick fury so you don't lose him accidentally. Replace iron man and storm once you get a good 2 star like thor, wolverine, daken or ares with enough powers and the 2 star storm. Magneto 2 star is one of the necessary ones too. Captain marvel and hawkeye are situational, but I like them. They should not be your priority right now though.
Sell the bullseye covers.

Dalek

Great. I'll add here before my covers for her expire in 5 days. I might just add her now and get rid of Venom... I don't have fun using him anyways. Is it worth it to hang on to a few 1 stars?

I'm of the mentality that it's important to keep most of the covers. Most people when they get into a good 2 star team, won't usually make use of Juggernaut and Venom, however-there will be events when those characters will be "Boosted" meaning you can use them at a much higher level than their normal Lv 40 limit-so say Juggernaut will be Level 90. In those scenarios, they're a godsend. Juggernaut only needs to make a few matches to unleash a devastating green attack, etc etc. I'm of the mentality to drop about 20 bucks or so into the game for the long haul, get cover slots and hold on to your cards. That being said the only ones I don't use are Bag-Man, Yelena and Moonstone (but I'm starting to wonder if I should recruit her and level her up as I could use another level 94 2 star character)

Keep in mind that this game is a long haul. You slowly make incremental progress and even thought you get excited when you get a 3 star or 4 star card, it's going to be a while before you get another one for that character to actually start leveling it up. This game requires tons of patience, which I don't have much of.

One and two star heroes can easily be replaced later if you need space. Make sure you have a usable team though before getting rid of iron man since he is probably still your best hero.

P.S. You can probably get rid of captain America too.

Spoit

1* covers are easy to replace. As long as you have an open slot (or sell someone) you can just pop a hundred or so standards to cover up whoever is featured

Dalek

Anyone else having a really hard time in this PVE Event "The Hunt"? Every freaking node is hard as hell, high level and now all my heroes are down for the count.

zulux21

She's the essential character in the first two, so I would assume she'll be the only one.

that is typically how it works... new character released and is required in the next event for the big points.

most of the time if you try hard enough you can get the last progression reward which is that required character and then use the character for the last little bit of the event.... I say most because sometimes the points are so screwed up that you don't get anywhere near that reward even if you play 24/7 but I don't recall that being an issue for a while now.

that is typically how it works... new character released and is required in the next event for the big points.

most of the time if you try hard enough you can get the last progression reward which is that required character and then use the character for the last little bit of the event.... I say most because sometimes the points are so screwed up that you don't get anywhere near that reward even if you play 24/7 but I don't recall that being an issue for a while now.

Yeah, though I suppose it could've been where one or two of the special nodes were for Squirrel Girl and the other one a rotation of the other buffed characters.

And I haven't had much trouble getting all the progression rewards and then some lately, though I probably play more than a lot of folks.

mrbagdt

If anyone is looking for an alliance, I can make 2 spots in S.H.E.E.P. available.
I would join if open. Are you replacing people that dont play or people that aren't high level? I'm in the limbo stage right now - I have multiple covered 2*'s that I'm building towards 94 but no 3*'s that are usable yet.

I would join if open. Are you replacing people that dont play or people that aren't high level? I'm in the limbo stage right now - I have multiple covered 2*'s that I'm building towards 94 but no 3*'s that are usable yet.
I am replacing people who have been fairly inactive for a couple of weeks. They are randoms who joined, not GAFers. You can join, just search private alliances for S.H.E.E.P. What is your in game name?

Dalek

I almost threw my phone at a wall today. The AI's luck with cascades+criticals+Chains+Cascasdes+criticals+chains makes me insane.

Dalek

It is even better when you were going to win on the next turn.

Yep. maddening. If you didn't have to wait for your heroes to recharge that would be one thing. I'm worried now I'm not going to earn the extra 7000 points I need to get my Squirrel Girl reward by the time this is over with. All of the nodes are a pain in the ass.

Ape

Banned
Anyone else having a really hard time in this PVE Event "The Hunt"? Every freaking node is hard as hell, high level and now all my heroes are down for the count.

I know I am. I've stopped playing it, even though Thor is a great payout. My team isn't really that great and my only buffed character besides Squirrel Girl is Magneto but he's too squishy.

Blank!

I only just started the PvE event and I made 10K points. Much easier with a low level crew though, one-cover squirrel girl is basically worthless but I can still power through the essential nodes well enough.

Stupid PvP question, is there some trick in getting a higher scoring bracket? I need 1K points by the end of the season for the 10-pack, and I managed 400+ points by joining 2 hours before the end of the last PvP session. I thought I could earn more if I joined earlier but the lead guy has barely 500 and I'm struggling to stay above 300 and find suitable targets for my ragtag crew.

Assuming there's at least 2 more PvP's after most wanted, I should be okay if I just break 300 on each but it's kind of silly I score better the less I play.

Top Bottom