• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

I only just started the PvE event and I made 10K points. Much easier with a low level crew though, one-cover squirrel girl is basically worthless but I can still power through the essential nodes well enough.

Stupid PvP question, is there some trick in getting a higher scoring bracket? I need 1K points by the end of the season for the 10-pack, and I managed 400+ points by joining 2 hours before the end of the last PvP session. I thought I could earn more if I joined earlier but the lead guy has barely 500 and I'm struggling to stay above 300 and find suitable targets for my ragtag crew.

Assuming there's at least 2 more PvP's after most wanted, I should be okay if I just break 300 on each but it's kind of silly I score better the less I play.
No, it is better to wait until closer to the end because otherwise you will be a target and lose a lot of points. Don't expect to get much over 400 until you have a better roster. You can also get season points from the shield simulator.

NineH

Ugh, I lost the Captain Marvel PvP by 3 points thanks to being attacked. Definitely could have used the red Thoress.

zulux21

Ugh, I lost the Captain Marvel PvP by 3 points thanks to being attacked. Definitely could have used the red Thoress.

heh I took a last minute 18 point loss
84b6ceb7c4.jpg
thanks to their stupid system of not paying out on ties, and because I technically got there second despite falling from above I lost out on a top 5 :/
oh well at least I now have one of each cover for groot.

Spoit

heh I took a last minute 18 point loss

thanks to their stupid system of not paying out on ties, and because I technically got there second despite falling from above I lost out on a top 5 :/
oh well at least I now have one of each cover for groot.

Man, I want you guys' brackets

mreddie

Fucks sake, Ares is a dick again. Trying to complete all events in the event and every match with him ends with him using all his specials and wiping out my team. Squirrel Girl and Magneto are buffed up and still get their asses kicked. And then, the AI hits that lucky streak, fuck.

Dalek

Wow I just got my 5th Rocket and Groot green cover...from a standard token.

Yet everytime I open a heroic or higher I get nothin.

Ape

Banned
How exactly does scaling work in this game? Should I wait in maxing out my characters until I can have a couple more also maxed out?

Triz

I'm sure it takes your event placement as a ranked marker. I've hit top ten and 50 on the last few pvp events. I wouldn't hit outranked characters 3 events ago till about 600 points. It has gradually got lower. Right now in the groot event I hit teams better than mine at 200 points. Previous event it was 400 points.

Spoit

I'm sure it takes your event placement as a ranked marker. I've hit top ten and 50 on the last few pvp events. I wouldn't hit outranked characters 3 events ago till about 600 points. It has gradually got lower. Right now in the groot event I hit teams better than mine at 200 points. Previous event it was 400 points.

I skipped 2 pvp events, and the scaling and bracketing seems pretty much the same.

And then I did so poorly in the pve, all I got were standard tokens, and my scaling was waaaaay off the charts for the heroic event. Like, starting 60 levels above other people with equivalent rosters (i.e. starting at 215 for the first sub IIRC. It started at freaking 260 on the last sub!)

I skipped 2 pvp events, and the scaling and bracketing seems pretty much the same.

And then I did so poorly in the pve, all I got were standard tokens, and my scaling was waaaaay off the charts for the heroic event. Like, starting 60 levels above other people with equivalent rosters (i.e. starting at 215 for the first sub IIRC. It started at freaking 260 on the last sub!)

That is really weird.

And it really sucks. Maybe time to take a few months off :)

Blank!

6th place in most wanted, thought I could hold onto 5th but had ~8 minutes left and was 40 points above the next. Risked shielding it out, figured either way I'd make back the money. Someone got like 3 points above me last minute :( Wouldn't of mattered either way as I couldn't find anyone else I could reasonably attack anyway. Only need ~450 points for the 10-pack so shouldn't have trouble hitting that in the next 2 PVPs.

Fairly confident I can hit top 50 in the PvE too, so there's that too.

I just topped 600 pts, good for 40th, threw up a shield with my defense team of Lazy Thor/Hulk/featured. 600 pts is when I start seeing the maxed X-Force teams of nope.

Should be good to get another yellow Squirrel Girl cover, since that's for top 100.

Dalek

6th place in most wanted, thought I could hold onto 5th but had ~8 minutes left and was 40 points above the next. Risked shielding it out, figured either way I'd make back the money. Someone got like 3 points above me last minute :( Wouldn't of mattered either way as I couldn't find anyone else I could reasonably attack anyway. Only need ~450 points for the 10-pack so shouldn't have trouble hitting that in the next 2 PVPs.

Fairly confident I can hit top 50 in the PvE too, so there's that too.

Are there 2 more PVPs after Coversquirrel? I need 509 more points for the 10-pack and I'm kind of worried I won't hit it.

Are there 2 more PVPs after Coversquirrel? I need 509 more points for the 10-pack and I'm kind of worried I won't hit it.

You should have two new rounds before the next season. And try the Sim. Even if you get your ass beat a couple times, the potential 50 point battles make it worth the loss. Just remember, even if you find a battle you're cool to enter, use your bonus iso to set up your next fight. Skip skip skip. Otherwise you'll be grinding 20's and wasting your time.

Spoit

You should have two new rounds before the next season. And try the Sim. Even if you get your ass beat a couple times, the potential 50 point battles make it worth the loss. Just remember, even if you find a battle you're cool to enter, use your bonus iso to set up your next fight. Skip skip skip. Otherwise you'll be grinding 20's and wasting your time.

Yeah, a 2* roster should be able to easily get to the mid-1k in ssim.

Blank!

Don't be sad. Every ten pack heroic I've got was full of 10 useless covers. Many people in this thread say the same thing.

When you're struggling just to hit 4K points for the PvP reward, chances are, you'll find upgrades in those heroic packs.

I got mine last night (450 points was easy with all the tanking teams in squirrel girl double ISO) and got my 10-pack. Every single thing was use-able. 4 3-star covers and the 2-star covers were all for colors I didn't have/needed including a pair of 2-star Thor covers.

When you're struggling just to hit 4K points for the PvP reward, chances are, you'll find upgrades in those heroic packs.

I got mine last night (450 points was easy with all the tanking teams in squirrel girl double ISO) and got my 10-pack. Every single thing was use-able. 4 3-star covers and the 2-star covers were all for colors I didn't have/needed including a pair of 2-star Thor covers.
Mine only gave me one gold, a Steve Rogers red. I needed one so it wasn't a complete waste. Which 3 stars did you get?

Just stumbled across a great match, 2-star Ms Marvel and 3-star Magneto. She makes team-ups and he destroys them. Throw Patch in there and you got yourself a very tough team.

Triz

I have given up on pve events. Pvp is the easier way to level characters. Coming In top 50 for pve is a weeklong chore / pray.

Triz

I take it back, just popped my ten pack open. 8 useless covers. 1 hulk 3 star I could use, and a 4 star nick fury.

Not as bad as Luke Cage's art, but still seeing a downhill slide.

But those new Wolverines tho...

I'm gonna get my some Star Lord. Just spent all my hero points to put Squirrel Girl in my roster, now I'm gonna have to pay for this slot. Dammit.

Nice to get a few LThor covers, though. He will become a top tier part of my crew soon with the new Yellow progression reward and the red I just got from The Hunt.

Blank!

Yeah I'm not sure about this PvE event. The progression rewards are all bad, even for my incomplete 2 roster. The only cover I could use is the 5th Hawkeye and the lazy thor at the end. Everything else is 'meh'.

The overall rewards are pretty bad too. Competition will be fierce so I can imagine I'll have a hell of a time even placing in top 50 and for what... a 4 star I'll never use (for where I'm at)? And the next step down is a green mohawk? Very meh.

Bigfoot

Yeah I'm not sure about this PvE event. The progression rewards are all bad, even for my incomplete 2 roster. The only cover I could use is the 5th Hawkeye and the lazy thor at the end. Everything else is 'meh'.

The overall rewards are pretty bad too. Competition will be fierce so I can imagine I'll have a hell of a time even placing in top 50 and for what... a 4 star I'll never use (for where I'm at)? And the next step down is a green mohawk? Very meh.
I'm not even two weeks in yet but I was thinking the same thing. However I can use the first 2 2* covers in the progression. I might shoot for 25000 points and hopefully that puts me between 151-300 so I can get the Wolverine 2* cover.

I really like this game but after playing it for a bit, I see it takes extreme dedication to build up a 3* roster. I'm just going to focus on maxing a nice collection of 2*s for now so I don't burn out. Any 3*s I can collect will just be a bonus. I got a 3* Thor from the last event but I already sold it since I didn't have room in my roster.

Man. I don't have any spots left and got a Gamora and Blade cover a couple days back. I'll probably get enough HP after the Squirrel Girl PvP to buy a new spot, so I'm thinking I'll keep Blade for sure. Is Gamora worth keeping though? The lowest 3* I have is a Doc Ock that has three covers on him. Doesn't seem like it's worth the trade but I hear he isn't very good and don't know how good she can get.

Bigfoot

Never ever sell your 3 star covers.

I've sold a few now... Hulk, Daredevil, Daken, Storm and now Thor. Is it wrong to mainly focus on filling out a 2 star roster and worry about 3 star characters later? I just don't have the roster space although I'm trying to grow it.

I wish I could have kept Hulk as I'm kind of a fan of his. I'm also a big fan of Deadpool so if I ever get him, I'll be sure to make some room. I'm trying to make this game fun and not a grind like I can see it easily become.

With Hulk, he was my only 3 star with only 1 cover and I kicked him out to pick up Nick Fury (4 star). I still have Rocket, Squirrel Girl, and Human Torch, each with at least 3+ covers. I'm going to focus on them for now (along with my 2 star characters) and make a push for their covers if they ever show up as rewards. I don't want to have too many 3 stars right now and have to make a push almost every event.

When my roster space grows I will look at adding 3 stars that can just sit at 1 cover and not be a big deal.

Ape

Banned
I'm focusing on a couple two star characters. Ares, Orignal BW, Magneto and Wolverine. They are all in the 76-82 range right now. They are all maxed out on covers.

Then I have Daken and Thor who need more covers and are low level, but if I get covers for them I'd level them up too.

Johnny Storm is max covered but I won't waste my iso on him at this point. Hawkeye has one away from max and storm has three covers (the game never drops her for me wtf). I have trash captain Marvel and a captain america too. Low levels. That is where I am with two stars. The rest of my roster is three stars (28 spots in total) and an Electra. When I need more spots for threes I'll trash the two stars I don't need or want to level. Plus I'm sitting on 1k in HP so I'll have even more spots to open up when I need.

Man. I don't have any spots left and got a Gamora and Blade cover a couple days back. I'll probably get enough HP after the Squirrel Girl PvP to buy a new spot, so I'm thinking I'll keep Blade for sure. Is Gamora worth keeping though? The lowest 3* I have is a Doc Ock that has three covers on him. Doesn't seem like it's worth the trade but I hear he isn't very good and don't know how good she can get.
Gamora is just okay, not top tier. Definitely take Blade over Doc Ock.

Never ever sell your 3 star covers.
Unless you spend a bunch of money, you will have to at first. So far I think I've sold 3 sentries, 3 beast, 2 mystique, 3 IM40, 1 doom (pre buff), and a few others. You can't progress if all you have are one or two cover 3 stars and no viable 2 star teams.

Dalek

I've sold a few now... Hulk, Daredevil, Daken, Storm and now Thor. Is it wrong to mainly focus on filling out a 2 star roster and worry about 3 star characters later? I just don't have the roster space although I'm trying to grow it.

I'm trying to make this game fun and not a grind like I can see it easily become.

Yeah, about that...

Blank!

I'm focusing on a couple two star characters. Ares, Orignal BW, Magneto and Wolverine. They are all in the 76-82 range right now. They are all maxed out on covers.

Then I have Daken and Thor who need more covers and are low level, but if I get covers for them I'd level them up too.

Johnny Storm is max covered but I won't waste my iso on him at this point. Hawkeye has one away from max and storm has three covers (the game never drops her for me wtf). I have trash captain Marvel and a captain america too. Low levels. That is where I am with two stars. The rest of my roster is three stars (28 spots in total) and an Electra. When I need more spots for threes I'll trash the two stars I don't need or want to level. Plus I'm sitting on 1k in HP so I'll have even more spots to open up when I need.

I've got a bunch of wholes in my 2* stars but I'm making due. My best is a 3/5/4 Dakan, just missing that 1 blue cover. He's been an absolute super-star though, true healing is kind of a god-send as it's basically one less character I have to put medpacks into. That + loaner hero means I'm only spending medkits really on one guy (usually I rotate between my Wolverine, Thor, Ares, and Devil Dinosaur when I go defense) so I can go one some long runs.

My OBW is missing 3 black covers which has been incredibly painful. I made the mistake of putting 4 in purple (well 5 now, I figured why not after I messed up) so she's mostly a PvE superstar. My Storm is missing a couple covers (max yellow wooo) but doesn't really matter as my Magneto is only 3/2/3.

My OBW is missing 3 black covers which has been incredibly painful. I made the mistake of putting 4 in purple (well 5 now, I figured why not after I messed up) so she's mostly a PvE superstar. My Storm is missing a couple covers (max yellow wooo) but doesn't really matter as my Magneto is only 3/2/3.
You should level up Storm anyway. All you really need are the blues and yellows.

Top Bottom