• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

zulux21

That is a VERY soft bracket, good job.

yup, and I didn't even just join, I joined about 4 hours ago. so the idea of getting a top 10 finish is a legit chance.

it will mostly depend on if point totals scale up, if they do I might be in a bit of trouble since I did stuff so that 8 hours from now they would be near full but not at full.

the fury cover would be nice, but I really just want 1 of each cover of iron fist, that way I can us hp to level him up if I want, and ideally have a 2/2/2 after the PVP event that gives him as I should still easily be able to get up to 600-800 points in PVP and my top spot is usually under 500 right now.

Spoit

Yeah, jeeze that's soft. My bracket only opened a few hours into the 2nd to last sub, and it has 3x that amount of points. Hell, that's not even 2 clears worth of points in the last sub

zulux21

Yeah, jeeze that's soft. My bracket only opened a few hours into the 2nd to last sub, and it has 3x that amount of points. Hell, that's not even 2 clears worth of points in the last sub

so soft I am still in first after going to bed. I do seem to have a single person climbing up on me though so I will have to play some to keep my first but still.

Mknzy

so soft I am still in first after going to bed. I do seem to have a single person climbing up on me though so I will have to play some to keep my first but still.

I wish I had gone that route, I hate this event and don't even need the progression reward. Stupid call on my part.

zulux21

I wish I had gone that route, I hate this event and don't even need the progression reward. Stupid call on my part.

yeah I can't invest myself for a week with a job so I just try the end. If I get in a crap bracket so be it it's easy to figure out, but it's always great when I get
2bc2579f77.jpg
and that is the final rankings. (both the brackets are the same between my overall and the mini sub)

now to wait for the pvp with iron fist as a reward and work seriously on that one as well.

Mknzy

yeah I can't invest myself for a week with a job so I just try the end. If I get in a crap bracket so be it it's easy to figure out, but it's always great when I get

and that is the final rankings. (both the brackets are the same between my overall and the mini sub)

now to wait for the pvp with iron fist as a reward and work seriously on that one as well.

Yeah, I have close to 2000 HP as it is, so I am just going to wait for the PVP and try my luck with a 10 pack, hopefully I will get lucky.

Bigfoot

Is there any way to figure out how full a bracket is since there is 5 end times? Or is it just a gamble and you could have easily ended up in a bracket with 900 people playing for a few days?

Spoit

Yeah, I have close to 2000 HP as it is, so I am just going to wait for the PVP and try my luck with a 10 pack, hopefully I will get lucky.

You'd be waaaaay better off just spending extravagantly on shields and HP boosts. Even if you only can get top 100.

The odds are that bad

Mknzy

Just pulled an Electra red from a standard token, haven't gotten anything for a while so it was a plesant surprise.

Bigfoot

Just pulled an Electra red from a standard token, haven't gotten anything for a while so it was a plesant surprise.
I pulled another Starlord today. I sold the last one I pulled though. I've got a few other 3* covers already waiting for 50 more HP so I can add two of them to my roster, so Starlord had to go again.

Mknzy

I pulled another Starlord today. I sold the last one I pulled though. I've got a few other 3* covers already waiting for 50 more HP so I can add two of them to my roster, so Starlord had to go again.

I still haven't gotten him, I want to at some point.

Dalek

...how??

I don't get it, man
Edit: all sorts of new cover art for the characters. Squirrel Girl's is awesome.

shaowebb

Just finished. Some asshole kept racing me to hold 10th place. I either got him right at the end or fell a match short of all 3 fist covers. We chased each other so long we nearly stopped vying for 10th and almost overtook the 9th and 10th spots together.

shaowebb

Ahem...MANLY PICTURE TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!!!!

Take that guy who kept racing me and holding onto 10th place! Knocked your ass out in the last seconds and took my covers. When it involves Iron Fist I go for blood.

Also notice a LOT of covers just changed art? Deadpool, Invisible Woman, Spiderman, Squirrel Girl, Rocket and Groot...just a ton switched suddenly after the rewards hit a moment ago.

zulux21

Is there any way to figure out how full a bracket is since there is 5 end times? Or is it just a gamble and you could have easily ended up in a bracket with 900 people playing for a few days?

It's basically a gamble combined with an educated guess.

Most of the time when I want a character things go as you saw here. I'd say I have around an 80% success rate with getting in the top 10 on a character I want starting around a day before the event ends.

10% of the time I end up in a bracket that with a little work I can still get 2 covers.

about 5% of the time I end up in a bracket I look at and go.. NOPE, and just quit right then and there.

the other 5% of the time they game designers did something stupid with scaling and made it impossible to catch up... that hasn't happened for like 6-7 months though which is a good thing.

Yeah, the Squirrel Girl one is great. Not a fan of the others though.

I did really like hers, in general I found the whole thing beyond stupid though. I don't mind the idea of changing covers to celebrate womon's history month, but I mean there is totally a spider girl, and a female parody of rocket and groot could have been awesome... They all should have been female versions or had the main female shown heavily on them such as Mary Jane for spider man.

shaowebb

Yeah, the Squirrel Girl one is great. Not a fan of the others though.

Yeah I really think that cover is cute now. I miss the Invisible Woman one from before though. It was badass...the only badass thing about her. Did anyone get patched with this update?

shaowebb

Figured I'd play a derp match to check out the art on Ironfist and man is he great looking out there.

MANLY PICTURE TIME!

VS image
UZQ34uo.jpg

Passive -Exquisite Technique
1jhEzEm.jpg

Iron Fist of Kun Lun
If less than 12 black
ha490jN.jpg

If more than 12 black (multi hit "animation")
I6xduAp.jpg

Shou Lao Fang Strike(multi hit "animation" if more than 12 black)
QwadROk.jpg

Dude is FAST and batteries Black super quick. Doesn't even need to use the black himself though, but if your black user dies it just makes him hit harder and he hits super fast. Decent enough health, cheap, racks up constant damage, setups all year for Black Panther and Xforce Wolverine. Definitely a go to guy to seek out covers for. Seriously can't believe he puts out black so easily.

Bigfoot

I now know the pain of getting your first duplicate gold card. That's my sixth green RocketGroot.

:(
Haha. I have a related mini rant too. Squirrel Girl was the first 3* I won from PvE when I started playing this game (have been playing for about 2 months now). For some reason the game kept giving me her covers and I had her at 4-2-1. My next highest 3* is just 3 covers and I have about 7 with only 1 or 2 covers.

So today's Deadpool 3* is a yellow SG. I'm thinking great, I can max her yellow, so I do the 4 matches before the 3* one. Right before I'm about to try for the 3* cover I cash in my 2 taco tokens. Guess what I pull? Yes, a yellow SG :)

Mknzy

I now know the pain of getting your first duplicate gold card. That's my sixth green RocketGroot.

:(

Just wait till you have a few maxed out 3* characters. The pain just gets worse when you see that do you really want to sell this prompt and you hit yes. Every time.

According to Turul, the data miner who leaks everything, Ragnarok is getting an overhaul soon.

New powers:
Ragnarok hurls his hammer into the skies, controlling it with his mind and charging it full of ambient electricity. He catches it and is filled with a surge of power. Converts ??? random Green tiles into Charged tiles and gives Ragnarok a burst of ??? health.

Ragnarok slams his hammer down, releasing a blast wave of power and carving a chunk out of the battlefield. Deals ??? damage to the enemy team, deals ??? damage to his team, and destroys a random column of tiles. Does not generate AP.

Edit:
Teasers for upcoming character abilities:

shapeshifter:
- ... Burst of Health™ ...
- ... select one tile to be green ...
- ... team damage ...

telepath:
- i can has free AP
- i can has free special tiles
- ???

Mknzy

According to Turul, the data miner who leaks everything, Ragnarok is getting an overhaul soon.

New powers:
Ragnarok hurls his hammer into the skies, controlling it with his mind and charging it full of ambient electricity. He catches it and is filled with a surge of power. Converts ??? random Green tiles into Charged tiles and gives Ragnarok a burst of ??? health.

Ragnarok slams his hammer down, releasing a blast wave of power and carving a chunk out of the battlefield. Deals ??? damage to the enemy team, deals ??? damage to his team, and destroys a random column of tiles. Does not generate AP.

Edit:
Teasers for upcoming character abilities:

shapeshifter:
- ... Burst of Health™ ...
- ... select one tile to be green ...
- ... team damage ...

telepath:
- i can has free AP
- i can has free special tiles
- ???

Charged tiles for Rags? God I can imagine the nightmares that are going to ensue as people team him to get more charged tiles for She-Thor.

shaowebb

Ya know Iron Fist kind of reminds me of a basic premise behind the Human Torch design. Average health dude who has cheap powers and the ability to rack up enough damage every turn to make him respectably painful to put up with. Thing is, unlike Torchy, Iron Fist generates AP of a color instead of depleting it. To make up for it he doesn't "technically" have a big hit move, but given his tiles multiplying damage and setting up big Black AP moves on your team he may as well have.

I dig him. Worth fishing for covers. I'd like to see how a Cyclops, Iron Fist, Black Panther team rolls sometime. It'd have good tile coverage at the very least.

zulux21

Ya know Iron Fist kind of reminds me of a basic premise behind the Human Torch design. Average health dude who has cheap powers and the ability to rack up enough damage every turn to make him respectably painful to put up with. Thing is, unlike Torchy, Iron Fist generates AP of a color instead of depleting it. To make up for it he doesn't "technically" have a big hit move, but given his tiles multiplying damage and setting up big Black AP moves on your team he may as well have.

I dig him. Worth fishing for covers. I'd like to see how a Cyclops, Iron Fist, Black Panther team rolls sometime. It'd have good tile coverage at the very least.

his purple is plenty big of a hit for 5ap.

I can't remember the last time a character was completely useful in the event after they were introduced even with just 1 of each cover.

his purple move making 5 black tiles at 1 cover is already destroying enemies horribly, at 9 per 5 it's just gonna be silly... like storm + thor + oasis stage back in the day silly :p

shaowebb

his purple is plenty big of a hit for 5ap.

I can't remember the last time a character was completely useful in the event after they were introduced even with just 1 of each cover.

his purple move making 5 black tiles at 1 cover is already destroying enemies horribly, at 9 per 5 it's just gonna be silly... like storm + thor + oasis stage back in the day silly :p

I was just referring to straight up damage as an attack like Fireball, but yeah the crazy amount of Black is pretty huge once his tiles are out. You get 5 of a kind quite often on it. The shit I saw using Doom and Iron Fist earlier lol.

This guy will be a mainstay for sure once he gets full covers.

zulux21

I was just referring to straight up damage as an attack like Fireball, but yeah the crazy amount of Black is pretty huge once his tiles are out. You get 5 of a kind quite often on it. The shit I saw using Doom and Iron Fist earlier lol.

you know for the sake of goofing around with 5 matches I think iron fist + doom+ 2 star hawkeye could be amusing :p

Spoit

I do 3 y for cstorm, as the green can help you get the extra AP you need

IIRC, his purple is actually better than fireball and alott, and way stronger than gamora's

Dalek

Ok I've reached a real milestone and I need advice. I've now put ISO into my characters as much as I can WITHOUT going over level 104. I have 4 characters that can level past that at the moment-otherwise everyone else is maxed out or waiting for more covers:

Rocket 104 (can go to 153)
Sentry 104
Falcon 104 (can go to 130)
Devil Dinosaur 104 (can go to 147)
Iron Man 3* 102 (can go to 114)
Steve Rogers 102
Spider-Man 102
Mohawk Storm 102
Ares 94
Original Black Widow 94
Captain America 94
Captain Marvel 94
Daken 94
Hawkeye 94
Human Torch 94
MN Magneto 94
Classic Storm 94
MN Thor 94
Astonishing Wolverine 94
4* Thor 81
Black Panther 86
Bullseye 78
Blade 78
Modern Thor 78
X-Force 78
Invisible Woman 74
Nick Fury 74
Black Widow grey 73
Captain Marvel 68
Deadpool 66
Human Torch 3* 66
Classic Magneto 66
Colossus 55
Daken 3* 55
Daredevil 53
Mystique 53
Psylocke 53
Squirell Girl 53
Hood 53
Iron Man 50
Modern Storm 50
Hulk 50
Luke Cage 50
Doctor Doom 45
She Hulk 45
Cyclops 43
Iron Fist 43
Punisher 43
Patch 43
Modern Black Widow 40
Classic Hawkeye 40
Venom 40
Juggernaut 40
Beast 40
Ragnarok 40

So at this point do I want to just start hording ISO and level my other 3 and 4 stars when possible up to 104 to match my highest ranked characters? I don't want just a few characters at really high levels because it will put me in tough brackets right?

shaowebb

you know for the sake of goofing around with 5 matches I think iron fist + doom+ 2 star hawkeye could be amusing :p

LOL! Thats troll as fuck. Only issue is you might blow through all the purple on the board leaving Hawkeye with nowhere to dump those tiles.

Bigfoot

Ok I've reached a real milestone and I need advice. I've now put ISO into my characters as much as I can WITHOUT going over level 104. I have 4 characters that can level past that at the moment-otherwise everyone else is maxed out or waiting for more covers:

So at this point do I want to just start hording ISO and level my other 3 and 4 stars when possible up to 104 to match my highest ranked characters? I don't want just a few characters at really high levels because it will put me in tough brackets right?

I'm no expert, but doesn't this question depend on what mode you prefer to play?

If you enjoy Events more, level up your characters together, so don't push past 104 until you can bring at least 6 characters to the same level.

If you enjoy Versus more and want to go higher there, than you can just max out 2 or 3 characters and you will be better off.

I'm no expert, but doesn't this question depend on what mode you prefer to play?

If you enjoy Events more, level up your characters together, so don't push past 104 until you can bring at least 6 characters to the same level.

If you enjoy Versus more and want to go higher there, than you can just max out 2 or 3 characters and you will be better off.

What happens at 105?

I have just taken a bunch of characs past that line but only a few can hit the 166 limit. They're all going together, though. I have four at 166, currently, Patch, Hulk, Lazy Thor, and Hood. Under that I have like a 120something Punisher and about 15 3 and 4 stars at 104/105.

Am I in trouble? Is that why all my PVP is against 270s?

Bigfoot

What happens at 105?

I have just taken a bunch of characs past that line but only a few can hit the 166 limit. They're all going together, though. I have four at 166, currently, Patch, Hulk, Lazy Thor, and Hood. Under that I have like a 120something Punisher and about 15 3 and 4 stars at 104/105.

Am I in trouble? Is that why all my PVP is against 270s?

I don't think anything happens at 105, especially in PvP. From what I've read, people have a theory that the PvE initial scaling difficulty is based on the top 5 or 6 characters in your roster. If you have your 5 best guys as level 94 2*s and one 166 3*, that one 3* will mess up PvE for you since your 2*s can't compete. I'm not sure where the 104 comes from... maybe it is just a level he picked that is close enough to 94 to not throw his scaling off.

If you can bring up 6 3*s together though, than you won't really need or use your 2*s anymore unless they are boosted. At that point, it is ok to level up those 6 together so that you can compete in both PvE and PvP.

Basically if you want to keep using your 2* characters (when they are not boosted) in Events, than don't level your 3*s past level 94 (or maybe level 104 if Dalek knows something I don't). Of course this is all a theory and no one knows exactly how the PvE scaling works, however there must be some basis behind this theory.

NineH

I was so happy to get a 4 star from the nefarious foes pvp token. Too bad it was my 6th Nick Fury purple. I know those guys have a desire sensor and make sure to give you what you don't need since I really needed a yellow or blue Nick Fury.

Top Bottom