• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

NineH

I am jelly of you guys getting hp from taco tokens. I seem to only get 2 stars and when I do get an incredibly rare 3 star, its either I have that character fully covered or I get the color I have maxed whereas the other abilities are at 1 or 2. Hp would be so much more useful.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I've had shitty tacos. Waiting on a good taco....

zulux21

Yeah, I've had shitty tacos. Waiting on a good taco....

fe029104d2.jpg

0b09a82c9f.png

e273277eb6.png
:p

Damn, people are going HAM on this PVE. Don't know if I can possibly make top 50 - I have actual work to do this week. Sucks. I missed out on Cyclops last time, I want dat X.

zulux21

Damn, people are going HAM on this PVE. Don't know if I can possibly make top 50 - I have actual work to do this week. Sucks. I missed out on Cyclops last time, I want dat X.

just imagine how it will be if X had his originally announced yellow skill.
Team added damage / Tile gen - Passive :yellow:
(PASSIVE) Whenever an ally fires a power, it also deals 301 additional damage.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Whenever an ally uses an ability, it also converts a random basic tile to a strength 24 Attack tile.
Level 3: Whenever an ally uses an ability, it also deals 421 additional damage.
Level 4: Whenever an ally uses an ability, it also converts a random basic tile to a strength 35 Strike tile.
Level 5: Creates a 55 strength Attack tile, a 55 strength Strike tile and deals 605 additional damage.
Max Level
Level 3 - Does 837 damage, creates a strength 47 Attack tile.
Level 4 - Does 837 damage, creates a strength 47 Attack tile and a strength 69 Strike tile.
Level 5 - Does 1202 damage, creates a strength 108 Attack tile and a strength 108 Strike tile.
[/list]
for comparison what the move currently does
Psychic Convergence - Passive :yellow:
(PASSIVE) Charles Xavier telepathically with his allies, coordinating their greatest strengths. Whenever an ally of Professor X fires a power, it also creates a strength 21 Protect tile.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Whenever an ally uses an ability, it also converts a random basic tile to a strength 29 Protect tile.
Level 3: Whenever an ally uses an ability, it also converts a random basic tile to a strength 37 Protect tile.
Level 4: Whenever an ally uses an ability, it also converts a random basic tile to a strength 27 Attack tile.
Level 5: Whenever an ally uses an ability, it also converts a random basic tile to a strength 41 Strike tile.
Max Level
Level 3 - Creates a strength 75 Protect tile.
Level 4 - Creates a strength 75 Protect tile and a strength 54 Attack tile.
Level 5 - Creates a strength 75 Protect tile, a strength 54 Attack tile, and a strength 82 Strike tile.

I likely won't join the event until sunday or so since the progression rewards are garbage and I would rather not grind puzzle quest on my days off.

anyways it's time for todays rumors/leaks

taken from the source code in the game potentially a vaulted character reward system is coming and would work like
OPEN THE VAULT?
RESET THE VAULT?
Take a reward from the vault?
Take ???(number) rewards from the vault?
Reset the vault with a new set of ???(number) covers to collect?

rumored characters still coming
*] Female Shapeshifter (which should be next according to the patch notes)
[*] Spidey Villain (not a symbiote)
[*] Sharpshooter

comment on expected rarity and release order
Ill give some help by giving expected rarity levels and release order.

[3*] Female Shapeshifter (which should be next according to the patch notes)
[2*] Sharpshooter
[3/4*] Spidey Villain (not a symbiote)
there is no confirmation either way if the 2* is a new character or a lazy character such as a lazy cyclops.

Prof x's purple was originally just silly (well depending on how much extra damage he did but still not being able to target him unless he made a match is goofy), and was a third passive
(PASSIVE) Entering his enemy's minds, Professor X blocks any sensory input that might reveal his presence. At the beginning of his turn, Professor X makes a random invisibility tile which targets him. If Professor X makes a match, he deals ??? additional damage and destroys his invisibility tile.
// bugged, only invisible when not in front //

for comparison what his purple move does now
Blind Spot - 7 :purple: AP
Entering his enemy's minds, Professor X blocks any sensory input that might reveal his presence. Professor X creates an invisibility tile that targets him, if one does not exist.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: While invisible, if this character makes a match, they strengthen 1 friendly special tile by 58.
Level 3: While invisible, if this character makes a match, they strengthen 2 friendly special tiles by 59.
Level 4: While invisible, if this character makes a match, they strengthen 2 friendly special tiles by 120.
Level 5: While invisible, if this character makes a match, they strengthen 4 friendly special tiles by 121.
Max Level
Level 3 - Strengthens 2 tiles by 115
Level 4 - Strengthens 2 tiles by 236
Level 5 - Strengthens 4 tiles by 238

finally, it sounds like inviso woman is going to get another rework at some point, but it's low on the list.

just imagine how it will be if X had his originally announced yellow skill.

for comparison what the move currently does

I likely won't join the event until sunday or so since the progression rewards are garbage and I would rather not grind puzzle quest on my days off.

Damn. A pre-launch nerf? Lame.

zulux21

Damn. A pre-launch nerf? Lame.

updated my post with a lot more info.
he had a couple changes, the purple move was just stupid good before but they changed that during testing.

the yellow move was finalized enough that when they did an interview about it it's the info they sent, but they quickly nerfed it near release.

zulux21

Can someone explain ehere the whole "lazy" naming convention came from?
Also I don't get that vault system.

because the idea of copy paste character to different rarity is just lazy.
they tend to tweak a skill or two but it's obviously lazy to just copy paste a character with a new level cap instead of making a fully new character, thus why most people call them Lazy X referring to which ever version of them came second.

some examples would be cap america, thor, and daken all of which at one point were just 2 stars and then they copy pasted to make them 3 stars (though all 3 3 stars were vastly superior to the 2 stars but still)

as for the vault system, right now the characters are rotated in and out, there is always 10+ characters that are impossible to get from tokens or rewards in a given season (some of them haven't been there for multiple seasons making it impossible to finish the characters unless you pay HP)

The code there would imply they will be releasing some sort of mechanic that would give you rewards from the vault, perhaps even allowing you to choose a specific cover from the vault.

zulux21

Interesting. If nothing else, the game keep you on your toes.
hmmm, maybe I am playing it wrong. I just watch tv/ read manga while playing while not remotely paying attention to the game and every 3-5 minutes making a move typically just making matches of green or any 4+ matches I see in the 5 seconds I look at the game. not really on my toes at all, in fact I am usually sitting so toes are not involved :p

zulux21

Is the best punisher build 3/5/5? I had mine at 5/4/3 but just used covers to change him.

that is what I use, I don't care much about the attack tile though.
in general though builds depend on who you plan to team him up with.

I mean in a bubble 5 red covers is a must as his move with 5 is a lot better than with 3. But if you are going to run him with someone else that has a decent red, then it becomes meaningless to get the covers for his red if you will always use that other character's red.

Mknzy

Big changes in the works, including some nerfs for Iron Fist and She Thor, breaking the Mystique/Modern Mags infinite combo, and Ragnarok getting a 3rd power. Here are the details.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ragnarok (Dark Avengers) - Coming 3/12/15 (THAT’S TODAY)
The first character update is to Ragnarok (Dark Avengers). Ragnarok is going to be coming back into rotation with some upgrades including a new power!

We wanted to revamp Godlike Power in a big way to make Ragnarok the scary out-of-control clone-god of thunder he is in the comics. This required bumping up the cost considerably, but his new ability is designed to feed this re-vamped Green.

Godlike Power - Old - Cost:10 (6 at level 5)
Ragnarok exhibits his godlike power, cleaving the battlefield in two. Destroys the two center columns of tiles so completely they don’t generate AP.
Level 2 - Costs 1 AP Less
Level 3 - Costs 1 AP Less
Level 4 - Costs 1 AP Less
Level 5 - Costs 1 AP Less

Godlike Power - New - Cost:14
Ragnarok slams his hammer down, releasing a wave of electricity that scars the battlefield. Deals 203 damage to all enemies and 137 to allies. Destroys a random column. Does not generate AP.
Level 2 - Deals 266 damage to enemies and 137 to allies.
Level 3 - Deals 331 damage to enemies and 137 to allies.
Level 4 - Deals 461 damage to enemies and 137 to allies.
Level 5 - Deals 719 damage to enemies and 137 to allies.
MAX Level 5: Deals 2276 damage to all enemies and 435 to allies.

Thunderclap - Cost: 6
Thunderclap didn’t change much. Instead of creating Green tiles, Thunderclap now creates Blue tiles to feed into Ragnarok’s new power. Damage numbers and numbers of tiles created are unchanged.

New Power:
Lightning Rod - Cost: 8
Ragnarok hurls his hammer into the thunderclouds, where it absorbs the power of the storm. Creates 1 Green Charged tile. Catching the hammer charges the cyborg with electricity, giving him a burst of 312 health.
Level 2 - Creates 1 Charged tile. Ragnarok heals 371 health.
Level 3 - Creates 2 Charged tiles. Ragnarok heals 371 health.
Level 4 - Creates 2 Charged tiles. Ragnarok heals 480 health.
Level 5 - Creates 3 Charged tiles. Ragnarok heals 552 health.
MAX Level 5: Creates 3 Charged tiles. Ragnarok heals 1754 health.

Ragnarok’s update is set to enter the game on Thursday 3/12 and his new power will be debuted/earnable in an event early next week.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thor (Goddess of Thunder) - Coming 3/23/15

Working on Ragnarok gave us an opportunity to rethink how we were valuing Charged tiles. It’s clear that we’ve been undercosting them, and we felt it was important to go back and update Thor (Goddess of Thunder) using the new thinking.

Smite - Old - 10 AP
The gathering lightning strikes Mjolnir as Thor brings the hammer down onto her enemy. Deals 630 damage to the enemy and an additional 137 damage for each Charged tile on the board.
Level 2 - Deals 886 damage plus 183 per charged tile.
Level 3 - Deals 968 damage plus 219 per charged tile. Make 2 charged tiles.
Level 4 - Deals 1388 damage plus 320 per charged tile. Make 3 charged tiles.
Level 5 - Deals 1717 damage plus 365 per charged tile. Make 4 charged tiles.
MAX Level 5: Deals 3409 damage plus 725 per charged tile. Makes 4 charged tiles.

Smite - New - 10 AP
The gathering lightning strikes Mjolnir as Thor brings the hammer down onto her enemy. Deals 630 damage to the enemy and an additional 137 damage for each Charged tile on the board.
Level 2 - Deals 886 damage plus 183 per charged tile.
Level 3 - Deals 1023 damage plus 219 per charged tile. Makes 1 charged tile.
Level 4 - Deals 1324 damage plus 292 per charged tile. Makes 2 charged tiles.
Level 5 - Deals 2027 damage plus 365 per charged tile. Makes 3 charged tiles.
MAX Level 5: Deals 4025 damage plus 725 per charged tile. Makes 3 charged tiles.

Striking Distance - Old - 12 AP
Thor flings Mjolnir at an impossible speed towards her enemies, the impact dashing their plan of attack. Deals 356 damage to the enemy team and converts 1 enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tile into a charged tile.
Level 2 - Deals 356 team damage. Turns 2 enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles into charged tiles.
Level 3 - Deals 593 team damage. Turns 3 enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles into charged tiles.
Level 4 - Deals 593 team damage. Turns 3 enemy Strike, Protect, Attack, or Countdown tiles into charged tiles.
Level 5 - Deal 1150 team damage. Turns 5 enemy Strike, Protect, Attack, or Countdown tiles into charged tiles.
MAX Level 5: Deals 2284 team damage. Turns 5 Strike, Protect, Attack, or Countdown tiles into charged tiles.

Striking Distance - New - 12 AP
Thor flings Mjolnir at an impossible speed towards her enemies, the impact dashing their plan of attack. Deals 356 damage to the enemy team and converts 1 enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tile into a charged tile.
Level 2 - Deals 402 team damage. Turns 2 enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles into charged tiles
Level 3 - Deals 402 team damage. Turns 3 enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles into charged tiles
Level 4 - Deals 739 team damage. Turns 3 enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles into charged tiles
Level 5 - Deals 1086 team damage. Turns 3 Strike, Protect, Attack, or Countdown tiles into charged tiles.
MAX Level 5: Deals 2157 team damage. Turns 3 Strike, Protect, Attack, or Countdown tiles into charged tiles.

Power Surge - Old - 9 AP
Thor raises Mjolnir to the sky, summoning a lightning storm to shock and stagger her foes. Stuns the enemy for 1 turn and converts 3 random Red, Blue, or Yellow basic tiles into Charged tiles.
Level 2 - Stuns for 2 turns. Makes 3 charged tiles.
Level 3 - Stuns for 2 turns. Makes 4 charged tiles.
Level 4 - Stuns for 3 turns. Makes 5 charged tiles.
Level 5 - Stuns for 4 turns. Makes 12 charged tiles.

Power Surge - New - 9 AP
Thor raises Mjolnir to the sky, summoning a lightning storm to shock and stagger her foes. Stuns the enemy for 1 turn and converts 2 random Red, Blue, or Yellow basic tiles into Charged tiles.
Level 2 - Stuns for 1 turn. Makes 3 charged tiles.
Level 3 - Stuns for 1 turn. Makes 4 charged tiles.
Level 4 - Stuns for 2 turns. Makes 4 charged tiles.
Level 5 - Stuns for 3 turns. Makes 5 charged tiles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Iron Fist (Immortal Weapon) - Coming 3/23/15

Our next update is to Iron Fist (Immortal Weapon). When we launched Iron Fist a week or so ago, we got a lot of feedback that his Purple ability was too powerful. We dug back into the numbers and found that indeed it was! As a result we’ve rebalanced his purple ability, preserving the way it works but reducing the number of Black tiles that are generated.

Iron Fist of K’un-Lun - Old - Cost: 5
Daniel Rand focuses his chi to make his fist like unto a thing of iron and strikes. If the team has less than 12 Black AP, converts 5 basic tiles to Black. If the team has 12 or more Black AP, deals 498 damage instead.
Level 2 - Deals 598 damage.
Level 3 - Converts 6 tiles or deals 697 damage.
Level 4 - Converts 7 tile or deals 896 damage.
Level 5 - Converts 9 tiles or deals 1295 damage.
MAX Level 5: Converts 9 tiles or deals 4113 damage.

Iron Fist of K’un-Lun - New - Cost: 5
Daniel Rand focuses his chi to make his fist like unto a thing of iron and strikes. If the team has less than 12 Black AP, converts 3 basic tiles to Black. If the team has 12 or more Black AP, deals 498 damage instead.
Level 2 -Converts 4 tiles or deals 598 damage.
Level 3 - Converts 5 tiles or deals 697 damage.
Level 4 - Converts 6 tile or deals 896 damage.
Level 5 - Converts 7 tiles or deals 1295 damage.
MAX Level 5: Converts 7 tiles or deals 4113 damage.

This change to Iron Fist will land in game on Monday 3/23.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Magneto (Marvel NOW) - Coming 3/23/15

Our next character update is to Magneto (Marvel NOW). Magneto has been in the game since we launched and has been part of a lot of powerful combos in that time. Recently he’s been the key to an infinite-turn combo with Mystique, which we don’t think is a good thing to have in the game. As a result we decided to update his Purple ability: Polarity Shift to make infinite turn combos harder to achieve, while preserving the unique strategy of the power, carefully choosing a bunch of tiles to convert.

Polarity Shift - Old - Cost: 11 (9 at level 5)
Magneto uses the sheer force of magnetism to reconfigure the battlefield. Changes 3 selected basic color tiles to Blue.
Level 2 - Costs 1 AP less.
Level 3 - Changes 4 selected tiles.
Level 4 - Costs 1 AP less.
Level 5 - Changes 5 selected tiles.
MAX Level 5: Changes 5 selected tiles.

Polarity Shift - New - Cost: 9
Magneto uses the sheer force of magnetism to reconfigure the battlefield. Changes 1 selected basic color tile to Blue, and creates 3 Red tiles.
Level 2 - Changes 2 selected basic color tiles to Blue.
Level 3 - Creates 4 Red tiles.
Level 4 - Changes 3 selected basic color tiles to Blue, and creates 3 Red tiles.
Level 5 - Creates 5 Red tiles.
MAX Level 5: Changes 3 selected basic color tiles to Blue, and creates 5 Red tiles.

Changes to Magneto are slated to land in game on Monday 3/23.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mystique (Raven Darkholme) - Coming 3/23/15

Mystique is the other piece of this infinite turn combo, so we’ve decided to tweak her Blue ability a little.

Infiltration - Old - Cost: 9
Mystique infiltrates an organization giving herself ample opportunity to unravel plans. Transforms 5 random basic tiles that are Red, Green, or Yellow into Purple, or Black tiles.
Level 2 - Transforms 6 tiles.
Level 3 - Transforms 7 tiles.
Level 4 - Transforms 8 tiles.
Level 5 - Transforms 10 tiles.

Infiltration - New - Cost: 10
Mystique infiltrates an organization giving herself ample opportunity to unravel plans. Transforms 4 random basic tiles that are Red, Green, or Yellow into Purple, or Black tiles.
Level 2 - Transforms 5 tiles.
Level 3 - Transforms 6 tiles.
Level 4 - Transforms 7 tiles.
Level 5 - Transforms 9 tiles.

TL:DR :
Ragnarok update and 3rd ability on 3/12 (Today).
Thor (Goddess of Thunder), Iron Fist (Immortal Weapon), Magneto (Marvel Now), and Mystique (Raven Darkholme) update on 3/23.

shaowebb

Lol. I can still destroy with two less black tiles from iron fist so I aint even worried. Plus the MN Mags changes to polarity shift actually make him BETTER in my eyes because now he batteries both blue AND red in one move and really well too.

I got a maxed out Mags and having a blue/red battery is gonna be sweeeeeet.

Rags though is a self healing thing that I get the feeling will suck to put up with.

Mknzy

The MNMags/Mystique thing needed to be broken, they could litterally take infinite turns. Rags needed a tune up, he was a joke as he was after they gutted him with his initial nerf so long ago. I don't have She-Thor so I cant comment on her changes, but the Iron Fist change doesn't surprise me, he has been known to be OP sience he launched.

The MNMags/Mystique thing needed to be broken, they could litterally take infinite turns. Rags needed a tune up, he was a joke as he was after they gutted him with his initial nerf so long ago. I don't have She-Thor so I cant comment on her changes, but the Iron Fist change doesn't surprise me, he has been known to be OP sience he launched.

Can you explain the MNMags/Mystique thing?

zulux21

while personally these changes don't effect me much (iron fist was and still is OP with his purple, though nerfing him a week after release is still beyond stupid, as they should have easily seen it was going to be to strong of a move and nerfed him before release.)

this pretty much undoes all of the good things they have been doing to me as they are making a number of jackass mistakes they have done in the past.

altering characters in the middle of the season. Check. in fact the second wave of alterations comes 5 days before the end of the season.

Altering characters in the middle of an event, check. Sure rags is in general getting better (though his green should be more like 11 or 12 not 14), but they still shouldn't do it. beyond that he is currently in the vault. one of the things they stressed with the vault was that they would work on characters in it and when they come back out they might change. they had a season change a week ago, he should have at least come out of the vault then with a message that he would be changing soon. As far as it stands he is still in the vault, impossible to get until the season ends.

Overnerfing stuff. Check. It's one thing to balance a skill, it's another thing to completely ruin a skill. Thor's red move is a fine balance, a little more damage, one less charged tile for the same cost. the yellow move is a bit more iffy as not only does it do less damage now it converts less as well making it less useful but still not horrible. The blue move however... I can understand not wanting as many charge tiles, but that is just stupid weak now. I don't remotely get reducing the stun when you also reduced the charged tiles by over 50% it should at the very least do something like add a decent protect tile now it's just a waste of blue at this point.

oh well in the grand scheme it doesn't change much for me, just a reminder of why I shouldn't spend money to get covers or anything like that because the moment I do they will screw over the character I like and merely offer a tiny % of what I spent back to me if I want to sell the character (which of course the moment I sell the character they will make it required)

zulux21

Correction: 499 days is 1000 ISO, 500 is a single heroic recruit token, which I pulled thor. Lol, way to reward dedicated players.

well to be fair 500 is a single random reward not just a token. I expect 505 will have a cover like usual though.

anyways 500 isn't a special number, 730 is :p

zulux21

hmmm to spend 42k iso on rags to get him to level 102 to sell for an extra 500hp or not. I don't see him being that useful in general so getting HP seems like a good idea in general... just can't decide if the 500hp is worth it for that amount of iso.

I was put into a joke of a bracket for that Grey Suit Widow PvP. Went to start it with about 12 hrs left, was aiming to maybe get 500 pts as usual, but when I got to 350 pts and saw I was 22nd, I had to look at the top of the leaderboard. I saw that first place was at 446 pts, and that's when I knew I could win.

Easily broke 600 pts before settling in at 663 or so, and threw up a shield. Nobody got within almost 100 pts of me, and I just got my first yellow Star-Lord cover (now 1/1/1). That's my 2nd PvP win in about a week or so.

I'm not usually this lucky.

Maybe they factored in my near-disinterest in this Prof X PvE, as I had a lot going on for a couple days and only had time to Deadpool (even missed out on one one day). Now I'm back, though, so the next event I'll be all over.

it will likely only be worth it if you care about the new rags covers as that is what prof x will most likely be a required node for.

I've been getting beaten up by Rags pretty hard in some of these nodes. When he starts healing and doing his team-attack, shit gets real.

Mknzy

Well guys I hate to say it but I think I am done. I've enjoyed the game for a long time, but I just don't really have it in me anymore. I haven't even bothered to log in for my daily the last couple of days. (to which I apologize to everyone in my alliance for not helping with the daily reward) I think I am going to just call it quits.

Dalek

Well guys I hate to say it but I think I am done. I've enjoyed the game for a long time, but I just don't really have it in me anymore. I haven't even bothered to log in for my daily the last couple of days. (to which I apologize to everyone in my alliance for not helping with the daily reward) I think I am going to just call it quits.

Today was the first day I was really starting to feel this way. I appreciate the Deadpool Dailies-but ultimately what's my endgame here? I don't have the free time to compete in this at a necessary level - so what am I really doing here.

Mknzy

Today was the first day I was really starting to feel this way. I appreciate the Deadpool Dailies-but ultimately what's my endgame here? I don't have the free time to compete in this at a necessary level - so what am I really doing here.

That's kinda me exactly. I haven't even felt the desire to try for the new characters even when they introduce a really strong one like Iron Fist. In the end, the more I do to improve myself the harder I just make the game and the more of a grind it becomes. Just not enjoying it anymore. I'm glad to hear I am not the only one feeling this way. I think I will uninstall it for now and if I ever feel like coming back to it I can always do so.

Ape

Banned
I'm going to try Magneto's new ability then probably uninstall. What sucks the most is that my wife and I have had a great time playing MPQ together. The brackets that we used to be in didn't require constant grinding or pvp points over 800 to get covers but now they do. My priorities aren't MPQ over everything else, so realistically we will be stuck just getting the deadpool dailies and whatever packs give us. Being competitive in this game isn't fun.

Dalek

I'm going to try Magneto's new ability then probably uninstall. What sucks the most is that my wife and I have had a great time playing MPQ together. The brackets that we used to be in didn't require constant grinding or pvp points over 800 to get covers but now they do. My priorities aren't MPQ over everything else, so realistically we will be stuck just getting the deadpool dailies and whatever packs give us. Being competitive in this game isn't fun.

That's the bottom line for me. It requires so much time-and the other people you're competing against seem to have all the time in the world.

Top Bottom