• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Mknzy

That's the bottom line for me. It requires so much time-and the other people you're competing against seem to have all the time in the world.

Actually I'd say its a combination of all the time in the world and bottomless pocketbooks.

jred2k

I don't know how someone could download the game today and ever hope to be competitive. The deck is so stacked in favour of people that already have maxed *** and **** characters it makes it not fun to try.

Dalek

Money doesn't matter. The monitization system is probably the worst I've seen

If you get all 3 covers for a character, like X-Force, you could just spend a ton of money to upgrade. Sure-it's a waste for that person, and a ton of money-but it's possible.

Mknzy

Money doesn't matter. The monitization system is probably the worst I've seen

It matters if you can pay to have a level 166 Iron Fist the day after his covers come out by buying all of his covers right away and then maxing his level out by buying ISO.

Blank!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll lose interest in this game before I'm actually competitive in PvP (ignoring last minute bracket joining).

PvE is another story, a decent 2 roster and time is more than enough (essential characters not withstanding) to place decently. Especially if you join a later bracket (monitor the bracket page on the official forum).

Anyway, I'm perfectly fine playing casually and just doing the Deadpool events for covers and the random PvE/PvP event when I want.

NineH

I grinded like crazy to get a Professor X cover. Too bad the purple pretty much does nothing at 1 cover. Thanks D3!

Bigfoot

For all of you thinking of quitting this game, I really think it is your mindset on how you play the game that will dictate what you get out of it. I realized pretty quickly that I had no chance being competitive, so I instead decided to just focus on having a nice full roster of 2 stars to make events fun. I have pretty much every 2 star except for Bagman, Moonstone, and Bullseye. I also keep two maxed 1 stars on my roster. 3 stars only get added when I have a roster spot for them, otherwise the get sold. I pick and choose the events I want to play, and just play for the story and for fun. The Deadpool Dailies are also great and challenging enough for me when a 3* is on the line.

Basically if you can play this game without trying to collect every character, and without worrying about being competitive, the game can still be fun.

Dalek

Introducing The MPQ Video Club - Earn 1k Hero Points!

Greetings, Marvel Puzzle Quest fans!

Starting today, there's a fun new way to earn 1,000 Hero Points. Simply post an MPQ gameplay video (30+ seconds) to YouTube and gather up 1,000 views. Help spread the word about the game (while showing off your roster and skills) and be handsomely rewarded for your efforts!

For official rules & full details on joining the Marvel Puzzle Quest Video Club - visit this link: http://woobox.com/rny685

MPQ_Video_Club_3_13_15.jpg

Yeah I saw that... no thanks, haha.

I'm at exactly 925 hrs according to Steam, and while I took most of last week off, I'm still very into this game. My two recent PvP wins definitely help.

zulux21

Well guys I hate to say it but I think I am done. I've enjoyed the game for a long time, but I just don't really have it in me anymore. I haven't even bothered to log in for my daily the last couple of days. (to which I apologize to everyone in my alliance for not helping with the daily reward) I think I am going to just call it quits.

if that is what you want to do I won't stop you.

at one point I basically quit, I just logged in to get my daily rewards. I skipped something like 4 or 5 character releases. Maybe entering them for a bit then seeing I had no chance and not caring.

after a while as I have mentioned multiple times in the thread my brackets started looking a lot better. The leading score in PVP was now only 400-600 instead of over 1k and the pve was a lot closer to just clearing the progression rewards to take first.. Since I got to that point I have just selectively played. I skip most of the pvp unless it's for covers for a character I really want to use. I only really do PVE when it's covers I really want or a new character. for example I will likely enter the rags event but I won't try at all (unless for some reason all I would have to do is like 5 matches to get a top 20 then I might but that is unlikely)

when it comes down to it though the point is to have fun. I wasn't so I mostly stopped playing, but I do have a bit of fun again now. Basically the game is a lot more enjoyable when you don't play a lot because the game is designed to be easier to place well at that time to try to suck you back into playing seriously... something that someone like me who basically quit for a while due to burn out will likely never do again.

Spoit

It matters if you can pay to have a level 166 Iron Fist the day after his covers come out by buying all of his covers right away and then maxing his level out by buying ISO.

I did all that, with just F2P accumulation. Worthwhile characters only come out like, maybe 2/3 times a year

zulux21

I did all that, with just F2P accumulation. Worthwhile characters only come out like, maybe 2/3 times a year

see you say f2p I say SYS2P

btw SYS = Sell your soul :p (note: it's nice to see someone still so dedicated to the game though, and I don't judge you for being awesome, if you enjoy doing this then that's all that matters)

I mean I know you play this game a ton as you are always ranking super high and are in a highly competitive alliance. You must average what 2-3 hours a day?

though I suppose you likely didn't need to much hp with a top ranking in pve and pvp with your alliance you would have had 2/2/2 + the two alliance covers which I am not sure what colors they were, if they were two different ones you have some variation of 3/3/2 which means you only needed to buy what 5 covers so 6250 hp, so that's not to bad.

Spoit

Yeah, I burnt some of my stockpiled 10-packs on it, and got some covers, so I only have to buy 2 purples to complete him

The combination of an internet-less vacation starting today, coupled with the Deadpool daily finally being inaccessible for me (Cyclops)....this is probably a good time for me to call it quits too. If I feel the need when I get back then that's one thing but I think I am done.

Mknzy

Doesn't stop people though, before they were more or less revealing everything in advance on the official forums, you would always see somebody posting screenshots of their account with a brand new character less than 12 hours from release with max covers at level 166. People did it, with every character.

zulux21

Doesn't stop people though, before they were more or less revealing everything in advance on the official forums, you would always see somebody posting screenshots of their account with a brand new character less than 12 hours from release with max covers at level 166. People did it, with every character.

it's really easy to do with a hacked game that has unlimited money. that is likely where most of the screenshots came from.

Spoit

it's really easy to do with a hacked game that has unlimited money. that is likely where most of the screenshots came from.

Yeah, some of those people with hacked accounts have said that it takes a ridiculous number of 42 packs to get one of each of the featured char's covers

Dalek

I just got 3 Dark Avengers heroic tokens as thanks for sticking with them through their outtages:

I got an Ares and two 2-star Human Torches.

:/

Ditto. Got a Blade, so that's cool. And some two-star bullshit.

Was really hoping for some X or Cyclops :(

I put so much into that PVE and failed. I think I'm gonna go slow for a bit now
I tell myself the same thing every few weeks

Mknzy

I still can't decide if I want to keep going or not. On the one hand I put a lot of effort into getting where I am at, on the other hand, I don't really feel like I am making any real progress anymore, and haven't for a while.

I still can't decide if I want to keep going or not. On the one hand I put a lot of effort into getting where I am at, on the other hand, I don't really feel like I am making any real progress anymore, and haven't for a while.
Why not try some PvP instead of PvE for a while, or mess around in the simulator?

Dalek

Ugh. I'm seriously considering buying credits for a 10 pack of the tokens to try my luck for a Professor X. Talk me out of it-I seriously want a Prof X card bad....

On another note-I've finally gotten Blade up to Level 91-what a great character to use!

Mknzy

Ugh. I'm seriously considering buying credits for a 10 pack of the tokens to try my luck for a Professor X. Talk me out of it-I seriously want a Prof X card bad....

On another note-I've finally gotten Blade up to Level 91-what a great character to use!

Its a bad value as a whole. At 3800 Hero Points, to make up what you spend in value you would need to get at least 3 3* covers or 1 4* cover and one 3* cover, and the odds are against you doing that.

Spoit

Its a bad value as a whole. At 3800 Hero Points, to make up what you spend in value you would need to get at least 3 3* covers or 1 4* cover and one 3* cover, and the odds are against you doing that.

The odds are against you getting a featured cover even with multiple 10 packs.

Blade is great, I've got him up to Lv 125 I think. My go-to Deadpool final survival team is Lazy Thor/Blade/Falcon. Works great, with all the pointies a single match late in the fight will do 1k damage.

Dalek

Yeah I'm loving Blade. In fact I think he might be my most anticipated character to level up.

I'll hold off on the Ten Pack-thanks for talking me down guys. I'm accumulating a good number of HP now-nearing 1200. Do you guys ever use HP to "level up" guys missing a cover? I'm thinking of doing so for blade...

shaowebb

Wow...ran into an Iron Fist/Loki/Patch team and it really put a hurtin on me. One helluva black battery for the Loki/Patch setup...

Yeah I'm loving Blade. In fact I think he might be my most anticipated character to level up.

I'll hold off on the Ten Pack-thanks for talking me down guys. I'm accumulating a good number of HP now-nearing 1200. Do you guys ever use HP to "level up" guys missing a cover? I'm thinking of doing so for blade...

I did once use HP I bought (which I do regularly buy) to give X-Force Wolvie a second green cover. Considering doing it again with black, green or both, since there's the sale going on.

Mknzy

I did once use HP I bought (which I do regularly buy) to give X-Force Wolvie a second green cover. Considering doing it again with black, green or both, since there's the sale going on.

5 black covers is the most important for xforce. It's an I win button at that point.

5 black covers is the most important for xforce. It's an I win button at that point.

Yeah, his green is also pretty mean. I was at 1/1/5, with 5 being yellow. I won a second black cover for winning a PvP, and then bought a second green to even things up. Definitely considering getting him another couple, would make me that much better.

zulux21

It's good but it's not really I win. I have gotten hit with it a number of times and still killed the enemy team with just losing a team member.

it is a very good skill though.

that being said I could never imagine investing into xforce.... it's so freaken expensive and by the time I would get him up to a good level they would just nerf him to push the next big 4 star for people to put money into :/

Spoit

It's good but it's not really I win. I have gotten hit with it a number of times and still killed the enemy team with just losing a team member.

it is a very good skill though.

that being said I could never imagine investing into xforce.... it's so freaken expensive and by the time I would get him up to a good level they would just nerf him to push the next big 4 star for people to put money into :/

You really need lvl 5 for the AP generation. Both of his abilities are pretty weak with less than 5 covers

Dalek

I got a Heroic token out of the Daily resupply today-opened it up and lo and behold-I got a 4 star!

Invisible Woman-Blue
Makes her 2/1/0 for me. I would have preferred a StarLord, Elektra or Professor X since they are the only ones I'm missing, but hey-at least I got another 4 star for a change.

shaowebb

I know-thousands of iso for like 20-30 minutes of rounds. Easily worth doing.

20-30 minutes got me control nodes and UV unwraps on my own stuff. When you work 7 days a week and 10 hr shifts for a month every moment counts. Industrial schedules=you don't have a life sometimes. I ain't blowing half of an hour on something on a "maybe" nor am I grinding this month on anything. I got stuff to do and nearly no time for it so something like Doc Ock...pass.

Top Bottom