• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

I've always hated their matchmaking system. Proper matchmaking should give you a 50/50 shot of winning, but if you're always being paired up with like players you're never going to see the real benefit of leveling. If I go into an event with a fully leveled hero that is required, I should have a huge advantage in the event for all the work I put in prior. Allowing me to compete for the top spot so I can try and earn some 4* characters or more Heroic tokens to keep making progress. Instead I'm just thrown into a deeper pool and can't even make the top 200 even though I've cleared the board a couple of times. Harder nodes for less points. Why even bother?

I think what could help is lower the amount of players in each bracket. Instead of 600 people competing in the same event, make it 100 or something. I remember they had 20 for the She-Thor lightning round and I had a great time playing that because I felt like I had a chance. You would see real progress and would actually work around the other players. It felt like a real competition. If I enter any other lightning round though, I'll be sitting around the lower end of a 1000 even after finishing 10 matches and getting anywhere near the top doesn't even seem possible. (Seriously, how do people get so many points in such a short amount of time while I'm slumming it in 20 point fights all the time?)

zulux21

I've always hated their matchmaking system. Proper matchmaking should give you a 50/50 shot of winning, but if you're always being paired up with like players you're never going to see the real benefit of leveling. If I go into an event with a fully leveled hero that is required, I should have a huge advantage in the event for all the work I put in prior. Allowing me to compete for the top spot so I can try and earn some 4* characters or more Heroic tokens to keep making progress. Instead I'm just thrown into a deeper pool and can't even make the top 200 even though I've cleared the board a couple of times. Harder nodes for less points. Why even bother?

I think what could help is lower the amount of players in each bracket. Instead of 600 people competing in the same event, make it 100 or something. I remember they had 20 for the She-Thor lightning round and I had a great time playing that because I felt like I had a chance. You would see real progress and would actually work around the other players. It felt like a real competition. If I enter any other lightning round though, I'll be sitting around the lower end of a 1000 even after finishing 10 matches and getting anywhere near the top doesn't even seem possible. (Seriously, how do people get so many points in such a short amount of time while I'm slumming it in 20 point fights all the time?)

another thing they could do is add an overall match victory count for an event and give out rewards for that as well.

oh you won 100 times in this PVP event, here have one of the covers that the top people get.

of course that could also have an effect of the rich getting richer, but you should get something nice for putting hours of your life into an event.

another thing they could do is add an overall match victory count for an event and give out rewards for that as well.

oh you won 100 times in this PVP event, here have one of the covers that the top people get.

of course that could also have an effect of the rich getting richer, but you should get something nice for putting hours of your life into an event.

Yeah. They just need to do something and even though this current one isn't working out, at least they're trying things. I just know I'm frustrated when I'll have the required characters maxed out, and I still can't compete for the top spots because I can't play bejewled for hours a day.

I'm right on the cusp of breaking through the 3* barrier too. My X-Force is a black or green cover shy of actually becoming something. And even though I have enough Invisible Woman covers to max her out, she's useless. Ah well. I'll just pad out my team with the dailies, and hopefully something good will drop from a token.

Dalek

I really wish there was another method to get covers other than grinding your ass off in the hopes of getting into the top 100 (or 50)-or get a less than 1% chance from a cover.

I wish you could somehow craft the covers you need by breaking down other covers or something of the like. It really bothers me that I don't have Star-Lord, Professor X, Kamala and now Kingpin when they are needed for certain nodes.

zulux21

I really wish there was another method to get covers other than grinding your ass off in the hopes of getting into the top 100 (or 50)-or get a less than 1% chance from a cover.

I wish you could somehow craft the covers you need by breaking down other covers or something of the like. It really bothers me that I don't have Star-Lord, Professor X, Kamala and now Kingpin when they are needed for certain nodes.

you can wish all you want but that is never going to happen. and even if against all odds it did happen you wouldn't be happy with it. it would likely be something like break down a 3 star cover get 1 shard, break down a 4 star cover get 3 shards. buy a 3 star cover you want 500 shards, buy a 4 shard cover you want 5000 shards.

Bigfoot

It would be nice to have something like this or a cover trading system. Charge $5 access to it or something so you can get some money out of the freeloaders.

Spoit

Remember, BoP always screws with peoples MMR in general too, 2* people beating 4* people all over the place, since both people use the same teams because 4*s suck when everyone else is quadrupled in power and they stay the same

Dalek

Remember, BoP always screws with peoples MMR in general too, 2* people beating 4* people all over the place, since both people use the same teams because 4*s suck when everyone else is quadrupled in power and they stay the same
Oh wow that's probably exactly what happened since for the first time I did well enough in a competition to net a 3 star prize.

Also more likely to have full covers on the 1 and 2 star characters, like Venom and Jugg.

I'm also pissed that they only let us bring two of each AP boost now. WTF.

zulux21

Also more likely to have full covers on the 1 and 2 star characters, like Venom and Jugg.

I'm also pissed that they only let us bring two of each AP boost now. WTF.

I wish there was a way for us to lock AP boosts so you can just click and buy more when you run out of one instead of having to find them again and then but then finally add again.

That would be terrible matchmaking for this game. The whole point of it is to be able to win multiple matches in a row in order to progress. If you're losing 50% of matches while getting beaten by other teams, you would never progress. Although, I suppose that you'd be winning 50% of the matches your AI plays, right? Hmm.

I wish there was a way for us to lock AP boosts so you can just click and buy more when you run out of one instead of having to find them again and then but then finally add again.

That would be nice. Having to rebuy them all the time is annoying.

zulux21

That would be nice. Having to rebuy them all the time is annoying.

it would also be nice if the starting board was more of a forced randomization with stricter limits so every other time when i run daken it didn't start with 3 or less blue :/

on the plus side I didn't remotely need to use boosts to get through stuff, I just use them to kill stuff faster so I don't have to play as much.

though unless the next few waves of the current PVE start giving out more points I doubt I will play it anymore. 35k is a long long long way away at 200 points at a time on average.

Spoit

Well now that you can only use 2, you just need to keep it at an odd number, and it'll always be 1 left, so it'll never run completely dry

zulux21

Well now that you can only use 2, you just need to keep it at an odd number, and it'll always be 1 left, so it'll never run completely dry

yeah but every other buy will get it back to an even number and will run dry. what would be best if they changed it to like 10 for 400 iso for the +3 of two color things then I could force them all to odd numbers and forget about them.

That would be terrible matchmaking for this game. The whole point of it is to be able to win multiple matches in a row in order to progress. If you're losing 50% of matches while getting beaten by other teams, you would never progress. Although, I suppose that you'd be winning 50% of the matches your AI plays, right? Hmm.

Well, I was thinking more about the brackets you were placed in. Not the individual matches. So you wouldn't be losing 50% of your matches, the win rate would be the same. What I was suggesting was that sometimes you get put into a lower level bracket, giving you a better chance of ranking high (big fish, small pond). Other times you'd get put into a equal or higher level bracket making it harder. I really have no idea how the matchmaking works though so I'm just spitballing some ideas. All I know is no matter how much I level, it never gets easier to get into the top 10. And that sucks.

NineH

Wow, you guys are right. I am getting straight 166 teams after my first fight in this PVP. Shit is fucked.

Oh man, I am not looking forward to starting the pvp. I usually run into 166's at 350-400 points and now its around 100? There's going to be little motivation for me to play hard if I am just going to lose points as fast as I gain them.

Dalek

Oh man, I am not looking forward to starting the pvp. I usually run into 166's at 350-400 points and now its around 100? There's going to be little motivation for me to play hard if I am just going to lose points as fast as I gain them.

That's all I saw at Zero points.

zulux21

>.>
Welcome to my world.
after i clear the 3 starting bots I will usually get max level 3 star teams or 2 max level 3 stars and a max level 4 star with a couple max level 4 star teams here and there. been that way for months for me.

I saw it at 25 points. As others have said...brutal.

Thank goodness for the Deadpool Daily.

NineH

That's all I saw at Zero points.

>.>
Welcome to my world.
after i clear the 3 starting bots I will usually get max level 3 star teams or 2 max level 3 stars and a max level 4 star with a couple max level 4 star teams here and there. been that way for months for me.

I saw it at 25 points. As others have said...brutal.

Thank goodness for the Deadpool Daily.

Well fuck, there goes my desire to seriously play the pvps then. Ugh, D3 really is inept at figuring out a working matchmaking system.

I wonder if they realize that this will just make people want to play LESS, and therefore they will make less money? Or is it just to get the whales paying more while the rest can fuck off?

Not sure what the corporate structure is that's behind this game, but it seems like pissing off your massive customer base is a bad idea to keep the longevity of the game going. I get that they want to grow revenue, but you do that through adding players, not by squeezing more from the players you have by making the game less fun. Really disappointing.

Dalek

So I struggled and got my ass beat up, but I'm currently at 399 points and in 30th place with 23 hours left. Do you think if I put up a shield now I could reasonably expect to finish in the top 100?

zulux21

So I struggled and got my ass beat up, but I'm currently at 399 points and in 30th place with 23 hours left. Do you think if I put up a shield now I could reasonably expect to finish in the top 100?

that's a tough one, and why if I am ever going to do a pvp I enter about 24 hours before the finish, but only seriously play 4 hours before the finish (if it looks like I can place decently)

I would say you have decent odds though.

zulux21

I've pretty much quite about everything but Deadpool dailies and the occassional last hour sniping for covers if I'm on.

yup, I look forward to others joining me in the easy bracket in a few months as it's nice when 300-400 points will net me a top 20 finish.

shaowebb

yup, I look forward to others joining me in the easy bracket in a few months as it's nice when 300-400 points will net me a top 20 finish.

Same. There's no real joy in the rest of the game. The more you play the worse the experience becomes. You never really get to enjoy the feeling of making a really good team and doing really well because it scales things against you too fast to let you experience what you earned. Sometimes you got to let the players feel awesome to make them want to keep playing...they aren't doing that enough. Maybe they should make something akin to an arcade ladder with a prize at the top that lasts a week outside of the normal PVP and PVE...sorta something to replace the training mode story stuff and give you a way to just earn iso idly and enjoy your teams each week.

zulux21

Same. There's no real joy in the rest of the game. The more you play the worse the experience becomes. You never really get to enjoy the feeling of making a really good team and doing really well because it scales things against you too fast to let you experience what you earned. Sometimes you got to let the players feel awesome to make them want to keep playing...they aren't doing that enough.

it's sad when I get just as many covers that I want now as I did when I was seriously playing all the time.

the trick is giving up on collecting them all and only going after the ones you personally really really like or ones you feel will be important to remain competitive later. beyond that I usually just put in the work to get 1 cover of a new character that isn't 4 star and ignore them forever. I don't even bother going after 4 stars at this point it's a huge waste of time and energy.

Bigfoot

I'm not even bothering to get Kingpin even though I'm in a late bracket with only 200 people in. I could easily get Top 50 but instead I would rather get a Daredevil cover so I'm playing just enough to stay in the Top 100.

I agree that you can't play this game trying to collect them all. Just pick characters that you like or want. I've sold 3 She-Hulk covers in the last couple of weeks because I don't care to have her on my roster.

GSBW is one of my mains (love her purple) and I only now just realized that her fully loaded green targets all enemies. Damn. I need another green cover.

jred2k

I'm enjoying what I've played of the new matchmaking so far. It seems to reward long consistent play and not the late surge play. You hit a difficulty cap quicker but you seem to stay there. I've acquired quite a few points from successful defences too and my team isn't really anything special.

GSBW is one of my mains (love her purple) and I only now just realized that her fully loaded green targets all enemies. Damn. I need another green cover.

Dude.

Dude.

It's a game changer. Although the cost is steep (19 green). I usually go in boosted with green and purple. I can get a team killer with her green and a LCap red or two.

Don't spend hero points on it, though. Your time will come.

Spoit

I'm enjoying what I've played of the new matchmaking so far. It seems to reward long consistent play and not the late surge play. You hit a difficulty cap quicker but you seem to stay there. I've acquired quite a few points from successful defences too and my team isn't really anything special.

That's the complete opposite of everything I've heard about it. People were complaining about being hit down at even as low as 300!

zulux21

That's the complete opposite of everything I've heard about it. People were complaining about being hit down at even as low as 300!

im in neither camp. my weird playing habits have again seemed to break their system and despite always having max level 3 star plus teams to face after the bots, all of a sudden I am going in between 3 star teams that aren't max, max level 4 star teams, and 2 star teams at 300 points. I am able to constantly find 2 star teams worth 25+ points if I skip 6-10 times... it's weird.

I've got 40 min to go until I also get my first Kamala.

Good thing, too, because they put me in a real soft PvE bracket this time around. Sitting around 30th without a Kamala, so with one will be fantastic.

zulux21

I've got 40 min to go until I also get my first Kamala.

Good thing, too, because they put me in a real soft PvE bracket this time around. Sitting around 30th without a Kamala, so with one will be fantastic.

I ended in second, I could have gotten first with ease but I didn't care enough to play a few more matches for a character I will likely never do anything with.
1qmzg7R.png

brings my kamala to this

don't know if I am going to waste any iso on her until I get more covers though.

I don't know how you guys sit there with tens of thousands of iso. I use all mine immediately, though I generally keep about 500-700 handy for skipping PvP fights.

zulux21

I don't know how you guys sit there with tens of thousands of iso. I use all mine immediately, though I generally keep about 500-700 handy for skipping PvP fights.

i just use mine for boosts. In general there isn't anyone I want to level up so I just sit on it until I get a character that I want to level enough covers to bother leveling.

i just use mine for boosts. In general there isn't anyone I want to level up so I just sit on it until I get a character that I want to level enough covers to bother leveling.

I generally only use boosts if I have them stored already. I use my iso to employ the strategy of "level up everyone at the same time" that I've seen mentioned here before (and as you can see when I posted my roster).

zulux21

I generally only use boosts if I have them stored already. I use my iso to employ the strategy of "level up everyone at the same time" that I've seen mentioned here before (and as you can see when I posted my roster).

I tried the level everyone up strat and it went absolutely horrible. you eventually hit a wall and get screwed over hard core until you powerlevel some characters. results may vary but I had way more luck just power leveling a few top tier characters and using them in most battles.

as for boosts I always want the matches to end faster. thus I always use them :p

I tried the level everyone up strat and it went absolutely horrible. you eventually hit a wall and get screwed over hard core until you powerlevel some characters. results may vary but I had way more luck just power leveling a few top tier characters and using them in most battles.

as for boosts I always want the matches to end faster. thus I always use them :p

Yeah, I hear ya. I've got most of my guys over Lv 100 now, with the majority of my usual suspects around Lv 130 (or higher in some cases). It just takes a good while for any new characters to become usable (usually Lv 110 or so, with 5000+ health).

zulux21

Yeah, I hear ya. I've got most of my guys over Lv 100 now, with the majority of my usual suspects around Lv 130 (or higher in some cases). It just takes a good while for any new characters to become usable (usually Lv 110 or so, with 5000+ health).

unless your name is iron fist, then you just need a couple purple covers :p

I ended up in 103rd place, of course.

Though there were a couple times where I earned points when attacked. Maybe this ain't so bad, after all. I thought I was still in the Balance of Power event with some of the hit points the other teams the placed me against had, though. Skip!

Yeah I'm trying for a Raise All Boats strategy and taking like 30 three stars from 103 to 106 has taken months. Probably time to rethink this...

Yeah I'm trying for a Raise All Boats strategy and taking like 30 three stars from 103 to 106 has taken months. Probably time to rethink this...

I thought you gave up on that strategy a year ago!

It's impressive dedication, but I have to imagine you've dumped a lot of ISO into some less than useful characters.

I almost always power level someone to 166, but take breaks to beef up any powered up heroes for events. That way when I do max out the one I want, I have another mid to high level character to move on to. And each time the weaker heroes are used for events, they get a lot stronger during the time they're most useful.

For some reason the Kamala event has been giving me nothing but bots to compete against for 15-20 points. Usually there are three to start out with but I'm almost at 300 points without fighting a single real opponent.

Weird.

Top Bottom