• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Keits

Developer
If that's true then the bottom of the brackets would be empty.

This doesn't make any sense.

Its simple enough to evenly group people into clumps of 200, 1000, whatever, based on their past tournament placements without any of them being empty.

Edit: There seems to be a lot of confusion about this, and theories flying both ways on the matter of seeding. I remembered reading clarification from the developers on their forums a while back so I've been unable to find it again thus far.

Triz

New patch wth changes alot of the interfaces. Introduced daily deals as well. picked up a 2 star or better cover for 100 coins. manged to pull a 3 star magneto.

Interest is starting to wain on this game. They need to add skill-based gameplay achievements. Like getting a bonus for beating another team fast, or in a certain amount of moves, etc.

Interest is starting to wain on this game. They need to add skill-based gameplay achievements. Like getting a bonus for beating another team fast, or in a certain amount of moves, etc.

Weird, it's completely ratcheted up to my GOTY. I can't get over how delightful it is. Maybe it's helping that I'm leveling up every charac at the same pace, so I'm not getting bored or left without stuff to do.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I have Ultra Freon blast at level 3, I found an IM cover with that power, but it won't let me train the power. What gives?
Are the other powers already at 5 each? You can only train 13 powers (two at 5 and one at 3 or one at 5 and two at 4).

Gotchaye

What is this hawkeye jackpot you guys are talking about

Prior to the recent patch, the character buffs active in events like Lightning Rounds and The Hunt applied to characters' critical multipliers. Modern Hawkeye is at +200% in The Hunt, and his critical stat is already 4.5 or something like that. With the buff he does 3x damage and collects 3x as much environmental AP normally. With a critical tile involved he gets about 40x the normal damage or environmental AP. It was often the case that you could max out environmental AP with a single match, and in the jungle and the danger room settings this is basically match-ending. One could infinitely chain criticals in the danger room, even.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Prior to the recent patch, the character buffs active in events like Lightning Rounds and The Hunt applied to characters' critical multipliers. Modern Hawkeye is at +200% in The Hunt, and his critical stat is already 4.5 or something like that. With the buff he does 3x damage and collects 3x as much environmental AP normally. With a critical tile involved he gets about 40x the normal damage or environmental AP. It was often the case that you could max out environmental AP with a single match, and in the jungle and the danger room settings this is basically match-ending. One could infinitely chain criticals in the danger room, even.

Ooh. No wonder I was able to chain criticals like crazy. I wish I actually knew that it was hawkeye that did that

am_dragon

I'm sure I peaked to soon.
aNmGPjj.png

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
^nice job

i got the iron man model 40, but its going to be questionable if i have enough hero points for yet another slot in 6 days. might have to decide getting rid of moonstone.

Just getting into this game recently, I notice I'm getting more Heroes than I have slots available, and I'm not collecting Hero Points fast enough to keep all the heroes. I have 8 slots so far, with Iron Man, Hawkeye, Storm, Black Widow (all 1 star, just the variants you originally start with); and 3 Star Grey Suit Black Widow, 1 Star Dark Avengers Black Widow, 2 Star Moonstone, 3 Star The Hood. Are they worth keeping at all? I find Moonstone and Dark Avengers Black Widow pretty much useless, should I sell them to free up some team slots?

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
:0

I....um.

So, with that ol' worthless Invisible Woman I was able to unlock the final Alaska mission. And. Um.

I hit the Hawkeye jackpot.

And I spammed M's until everyone was dead.

And I got a thousand+ points.

And now I'm 54 in my overall The Hunt bracket.

And I'm only 1200 behind #1.

And I haven't even started the most recent Florida.

I'm 3rd in my overall bracket... DAT Frank is mighty close :p

I still don't understand how points are given out in the single event brackets, how is it possible that I've beaten every single mission in a given event, even the ones you can repeat multiple times, and yet there are guys on the top with like 1000 points more than me? How the hell did they earn so many points, aren't the payouts all the same?

edit:
OH OH OH!

JouI2pg.jpg

Gotchaye

I'm 3rd in my overall bracket... DAT Frank is mighty close :p

I still don't understand how points are given out in the single event brackets, how is it possible that I've beaten every single mission in a given event, even the ones you can repeat multiple times, and yet there are guys on the top with like 1000 points more than me? How the hell did they earn so many points, aren't the payouts all the same?

The payouts work in a complicated way having to do with how frequently you play, what your score in the overall and sub-events are, and what the average/top scores in your brackets in those events are.

There's some rubber-banding where payouts increase as you fall behind the top spots. Possibly it makes sense to delay entry into events, or maybe to only play the first missions in order to get sorted into brackets, until they're nearly expired. I'm pretty sure your overall ranking in The Hunt matters too, so I think that if you really want those Heroic Tokens the optimal strategy is just to skip maybe half of the sub-events so that you get more points in the other half.

Payouts also decay as you play missions. I logged some numbers yesterday trying to figure this out and it seems to be the case that playing any mission in The Hunt will cause all other missions in The Hunt events to lose maybe 5% of some maximum possible value (and about 10% for the mission that you just played). These bounce back over time (~several hours).

Memles

So is everyone else now getting basic Heroic tokens as opposed to Heroic - The Hunt tokens in the remaining events? I was surprised to see a Top 10 finish in Alaska garner a non-Hunt token, and saw that the same went for the ongoing Florida mission.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So is everyone else now getting basic Heroic tokens as opposed to Heroic - The Hunt tokens in the remaining events? I was surprised to see a Top 10 finish in Alaska garner a non-Hunt token, and saw that the same went for the ongoing Florida mission.
Yep.

Dash Kappei

The payouts work in a complicated way having to do with how frequently you play, what your score in the overall and sub-events are, and what the average/top scores in your brackets in those events are.

There's some rubber-banding where payouts increase as you fall behind the top spots. Possibly it makes sense to delay entry into events, or maybe to only play the first missions in order to get sorted into brackets, until they're nearly expired. I'm pretty sure your overall ranking in The Hunt matters too, so I think that if you really want those Heroic Tokens the optimal strategy is just to skip maybe half of the sub-events so that you get more points in the other half.

Payouts also decay as you play missions. I logged some numbers yesterday trying to figure this out and it seems to be the case that playing any mission in The Hunt will cause all other missions in The Hunt events to lose maybe 5% of some maximum possible value (and about 10% for the mission that you just played). These bounce back over time (~several hours).

Wow, that's lots of info to process, thanks for the reply mate, really appreciate if :)

Whoa.

Looks like you can actually run out of points on a mission. My Devil Dinosaur now nets me zilch. I'm at 8, hanging by a thread. I know I'll for sure get Frank but I really hope I can swing a top 15 finish. Gonna stop until 1 and then see where I'm at.

Askani

Well crap. I'm completely out of missions for points. Only 400 out of first place in my group and no way to to get farther ahead. After the length of this tourney, that's pretty damn lame.

twofold

I've run out of points on all my missions, too. This blows. I've got got 47,790 points overall and I'm #85th in my group. Only a few hundred behind the guy in #1.

Just did every match I could, fairly confident I'd be okay. Looked back and I'm at 40 with 19 minutes to go.

Holy fuck, man. They better like I don't know man but dudes you need to recalibrate your system.

twofold

I'm #96 and falling. Probably won't even finish in the top 100 so I can't get the final Wolverine cover I need. This is fucking stupid.

Edit - Well, I'm #102 now. I was getting bored of the game anyway. Uninstalled it now. Sees ya.

Yeah, this is really outrageous. I honestly love everything about the actual gameplay/chits/levelling etc, but this is the maddest I've ever been about a developer's performance.

Ever.

EDIT: SIXTY-FUCKING-ONE.

Askani

Just ended at rank 51 so I missed out on Punisher. Fuck off game. I'm sure I'll cool off, but right now I'm giving serious consideration to quitting. Can't do certain missions without a certain limited character and can't get another new character because I have no way to increase my rank in a tourney and fall out of contention. Awful.

EDIT :::::

Thanks for those three Wolverine covers. He was already maxed so I sold them. That 375 ISO really was worth all my time.

Mairu

I don't know where I ended up. I woke up about 40 minutes ago and was spamming the missions I could actually get points from up until it ended. I ended up getting a first time bonus on the last mission I did, so I guess it had already ended and reset for me. Time to wait and see.

Hm i got 110 no punisher for me. I blame my lack of understanding of how the game works. Will grind more next time.

No one understood or knew that you would eventually run out of turns on missions or that the rubberbanding was so broken. I was happy to spend the last hour grinding away at like 4 or 5 points at a time, but I couldn't even do that.

And Dash, does that mean you only had to score 1003 points TOTAL to get #1???

Dash Kappei

That's just legitimately mean.

Lol, I was furiously playing till I got 0 points for mission when the timer was <3 minutes, so I didn't check you guys' posts before bragging. I'm sorry :(
I got fucked a lot too in the past, it's just part of the game but yeah reading this page it's definitely unfair how you guys missed out on Frank/points

Mairu

Rewards came through, I managed top15. Punisher get. Guess it worked out that I woke up late considering the weird way the system works with diminishing returns on rewards.

Yeah, when my best reward after nine days of sweatin was an Iron Hammer from the Savage Land Heroic Chit, somethin' ain't right.

I'm cooling off a little, and everyone is so universally mad that something's going to be done, and someone on d3 mentioned Frank will likely be like IM40 was, and be everywhere by the end of next week, but still.

Learn from this, d.

Top Bottom