• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
No one understood or knew that you would eventually run out of turns on missions or that the rubberbanding was so broken. I was happy to spend the last hour grinding away at like 4 or 5 points at a time, but I couldn't even do that.

And Dash, does that mean you only had to score 1003 points TOTAL to get #1???

Nope, that's number of players. Iirc I was close to 49k points

Got my prizes:

nmkv7UX.jpg

Got some really good covers during the whole event so I'm happy. No Punisher, but that's ok. Great event. hopefully we get something like this again soon.

quickwhips

I got 2 punishers need to make space for him.

Also i didn't realize you could skip fights in pvp. Also you could redo battles that have green check marks. Man I could have dominated next time I will know better. Sorta noob stuff I know but I never realized this stuff.

am_dragon

I ended up with 3 Wolverine cards, and from rewards during the event I got 3 Moonstone's a Loki, 2 Iron man 40's. I finished Hawkeye Modern and got enough Black Widows to choke a horse. I think I had 17 cards in reserve at one point.

I also feel about about letting a Storm Classic Green and Captain America Red expire because both of those are at 4 now and I want more points in the other skills.

quickwhips

I ended up with 3 Wolverine cards, and from rewards during the event I got 3 Moonstone's a Loki, 2 Iron man 40's. I finished Hawkeye Modern and got enough Black Widows to choke a horse. I think I had 17 cards in reserve at one point.

I also feel about about letting a Storm Classic Green and Captain America Red expire because both of those are at 4 now and I want more points in the other skills.

why not sell them instead of letting them expire?

I've run out of points on all my missions, too. This blows. I've got got 47,790 points overall and I'm #85th in my group. Only a few hundred behind the guy in #1.

At the end, my group was extremely thin in number of points separating the top 100 or so. I was like 300 points from first, but at 18 per mission it was impossible to catch up.

Got one Punisher cover, but it's pretty useless by itself. Oh, well. I'll keep it around just in case he is good.

BTW, Twofold - finally going to Thailand in January. Bought me a one-way ticket! :)

Just ended at rank 51 so I missed out on Punisher. Fuck off game. I'm sure I'll cool off, but right now I'm giving serious consideration to quitting. Can't do certain missions without a certain limited character and can't get another new character because I have no way to increase my rank in a tourney and fall out of contention. Awful.

EDIT :::::

Thanks for those three Wolverine covers. He was already maxed so I sold them. That 375 ISO really was worth all my time.

That's an avatar quote opportunity if I've ever seen one...

bigf00t

Managed to hang on to 15th in my The Hunt bracket. Scored a couple Punisher covers. I haven't been playing that long, and this was my first event, but I'm definitely hooked now. Trying to hold onto my 5th place in Doctor's Orders until tonight for some sweet, sweet Spiderman action.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Well I ended up in high positions in the last couple base missions but even with 60k+ points I was in the upper 400s for the overall placement. Only got one wolverine from that

I did get wolverine x force from token roll and I still have iron man 40 to recruit. Have to get rid of Yelena I guess. I also got classic black widow who appears to be good as well so I'll have to figure out what else to dump

Wasted a lot of iso on Yelena since she's like Level 30.

You're rubbing salt in the wounds here.

Yeah, I don't expect to do as well in future tournaments so I'll run with this "win".

Is there a good guide as to what characters are "worthwhile" once leveled up? I'm sitting on 50k in ISO and really don't know where to spend it. Some of my former mainstays (looking at you Black Widow and Classic Storm) don't even figure into my decks now so any recommendations are welcome.

Who has had good luck with....?

shaowebb

Geez I got a ton of rewards in those events. No punisher, but a ton of recruit tokens and gold. So what did I get? Bunch of shitty characters. Sold them for Iso. Continued leveling up my nearly max headbutt and crush lvl 20 juggernaut. Im thinking Dark Avengers aint gonna be worth a damn now without the ability to earn covers easily for them to get powers and level them. They'll be a longterm investment. Bullseye is good though with that adamantium bone ability.

I did get an Uncommon Storm with 90's outfit and raging tempest that passively deals out more damage the worse your health is. Hits the entire other team too. Nice stuff.

Dash Kappei

WTF
Just got my first The Hood and sold it by mistake instead of recruiting him (I was selling 20 covers I had in my stash and by the time I've gotten to him I had muscle memory do the work, lol),
Goddamn. Was he good?

I think I just snuck into the Heroic Points win level of the Doom tournament after joining it with 45 minutes to go. No spidey, but some Cap covers and coins. 350 coins per inventory spot now though.

WTF
Just got my first The Hood and sold it by mistake instead of recruiting him (I was selling 20 covers I had in my stash and by the time I've gotten to him I had muscle memory do the work, lol),
Goddamn. Was he good?

Oh that's a terrible mistake; I'm sorry. I still haven't gotten the Hood or a few others. I feel your pain!

Yeah, I don't expect to do as well in future tournaments so I'll run with this "win".

Is there a good guide as to what characters are "worthwhile" once leveled up? I'm sitting on 50k in ISO and really don't know where to spend it. Some of my former mainstays (looking at you Black Widow and Classic Storm) don't even figure into my decks now so any recommendations are welcome.

Who has had good luck with....?
You should always be trying to progress into higher tiers when possible, Optimal progression IMO looks like this:

m.Storm, Juggs -> Thor, Wolverine -> Rags, Mags, Spidey

Sone alternatives/extras you can consider if needed are:

IM35, m.Widow -> Cap, c.Storm, Daken -> IM40, Doom

You can with just about anyone if you game the system (i.e. late join as people mentioned), but these are the best to use if you want fast growth towards the end-game. Maxing out 3 1-stars is a dead end IMO. 3 maxed 2-stars is fine, 4 or 5 is borderline. Always try to move up to 3-stars.

You should always be trying to progress into higher tiers when possible, Optimal progression IMO looks like this:

m.Storm, Juggs -> Thor, Wolverine -> Rags, Mags, Spidey

Sone alternatives/extras you can consider if needed are:

IM35, m.Widow -> Cap, c.Storm, Daken -> IM40, Doom

You can with just about anyone if you game the system (i.e. late join as people mentioned), but these are the best to use if you want fast growth towards the end-game. Maxing out 3 1-stars is a dead end IMO. 3 maxed 2-stars is fine, 4 or 5 is borderline. Always try to move up to 3-stars.

Interesting post. So you are saying that the three sat characters are in fact as fleshed out and useful as the solid one and two stars?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
What's so good about Wolverine? I have his specials at 13/13, but not really leveled him up, because he seemed kinda weak. Atleast Daken gives you a significant damage boost all the time.

What's so good about Wolverine? I have his specials at 13/13, but not really leveled him up, because he seemed kinda weak. Atleast Daken gives you a significant damage boost all the time.

Wolverine has a more dependable green and heal power. Plus they're active and he has a third skill. You can build up a ton of greens and just keep churning out damage. Daken is just meh. His heal sucks. Losing hp is never fun.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I will check that out. Wolverine is another character with strong yellow, red, green damage, though. I've been kinda building my teams around having strong damage with all colors. Daken has strong purple and black, which is rare, so I need to find another one entirely.

So far Punisher seems lame. I did level my three star Widow up though and she is interesting.

I think they both might be good if paired with the right team.

zulux21

Ok, I will check that out. Wolverine is another character with strong yellow, red, green damage, though. I've been kinda building my teams around having strong damage with all colors. Daken has strong purple and black, which is rare, so I need to find another one entirely.
Purple black doesn't seem all that rare as long as you pick an evil character, they seem to thrive on those colors.

Interesting post. So you are saying that the three sat characters are in fact as fleshed out and useful as the solid one and two stars?
Some, but not all. Rags and Mags are #1 and 2 in this game.

The misleading thing is that at the same level 2-stars are better than 3-stars. i.e. lvl 85 Thor is still better than lvl 85 IM40. It's not until around lvl 100 (maybe about 30k ISO investment) where IM40 starts to get good. But IM40 goes up to lvl141, so it's a long-term investment. Rags and Doom are more economical because they both cap at lvl115.

Ordered roughly from best-to-worst IMO.

Rags gets 660 dmg with 2 red AP; Thor gets 1100 dmg with 6 AP. Rags has 7k health; Thor, 5k. They're very similar characters, but pound for pound, Rags just overpowers him.

Mags is the best single target dmg dealer in the game. He can 1-shot KO Rags' 7k health with Magnetic Translocation, 10 purple AP.

Spidey is useful as the best healer in the game. Not gamebreaking, but you'll never need to use packs again. I'm sitting on over 100+. Plus side is as a support character, you don't need to max lvl141 for him to be effective.

IM40 isn't as good as the above, but he makes a decent tank with the highest health in the game and synergizes well with Thor, Wolvie, Spidey etc.

Doom is pretty good. Once maxed, his Summon Demons do 1100 dmg per turn. So after 5 turns of just tile-matching, most characters will be dead. However, I would say he supplements the main damage dealer on the team, not replaces them. So Thor+Doom, Rags+Doom, Wolvie+Doom, etc.

g.Widow has the best AOE in the game. 3k dmg to each for 19 green AP. Very deadly but the expensive costs make her a liability. If you want the fastest wins in the shortest amount of time, Rags+g.Widow is one way to do it.

Hood is a good support character. His passive steals 1-3 AP every turn for free. It's not just about gaining AP for offensive use, but also AP denial defensively. But his low damage and low health make him a liability. He has lower health than many 2-stars even.

Loki is pretty much a solution to a problem that doesn't yet exist. He is a hard counter to teams that rely on strike/protect tiles, but they aren't common enough in the meta to warrant his use. Spidey was given protect tiles in a recent buff and Punisher just got released, so we'll see how it changes.

Regarding Daken vs Wolvie. Daken caps @ lvl69, Wolvie @ lvl 85. Those levels make a difference. Off the top of my head, it's somewhere around an extra 1k health, 40 damage per strike tile, an extra 50 heal per turn. It adds up over time. Daken is still very useful though because his strike tiles are free and has good colour selection.

BlackJace

With Stockpile Green and a good field variety, he can use Feral Claws upwards of 2-3 times a turn. That's insane when taking into account the strike tile placement.

bigf00t

I need some advice on who's worth leveling, and if I should clear some some existing characters out to make room, as I don't have the HP to buy more slots right now.

I have:

M.Storm - 30
M35.Iron Man - 30
M.Widow - 24
The Punisher - 18
Thor - 16 (Want to level him more, need more covers)
C.Spiderman - 15 (Need more covers)
C.Hawkeye - 12
Moonstone - 12
Juggernaut - 6
BM.Spiderman - 6
MN.Magneto - 6

I'm thinking about ditching BM.Spiderman and C.Hawkeye to bring in some new characters from my rewards. Anyone else not worth keeping? Anyone in particular I should focus on leveling?

Rewards waiting:

C.Storm x2
Captain America x3
Venom x2
Daken x1
Bullseye x1
M.Hawkeye x2
AX.Wolverine x1
C.Magneto x1 (Definitely recruiting)
O.Black Widow x1
Yelena Belova x1

Thinking about passing on Yelena, Venom, M.Hawkeye and Bullseye, and recruiting the rest. Any of those worth keeping?

davepoobond

Bag man doesn't fit my play style so I got rid of him

I don't keep venom.

I don't keep classic hawkeye

I would keep classic storm and captain America. I use cap for tanking.

Wolverine. He's borderline OP.

I'm just not seeing it. Maybe I need to level him some more. Always seems like a waste, though.

After getting pwnd by Ragnarok in Savage Land a bunch of times, I think I need to work on him. Only one cover, though, so it's going to be a while.

Triz

I used to use daken Thor and storm as my main farm team. But after they nerfed storm I don't touch her. Right now it's Thor daken and modern hawkeye/ iron man 40.

shaowebb

Juggernaut, Iron Man, Swagneto classic for me right now. If I dont like a board Mag and Jugs can strip it apart and if I dont like someone on a team it takes no time for fully leveled headbutt to do them in. I dont care about losing health to do it. Juggs is stout as hell and can take it no problem and in only a few turns he can cripple a team from the onset. Iron Man is there because he can shoot the hell out of anything and covers other colors. If I could get my damned Dark Avengers Bullseye his black skill though I'd level the shit outta him. That move sounds harsh. Hits for 1000 and his passive adamantium bones skill is really really good.Constantly pumps out defense. Him and Wolverine make for an irritating occasional combo with their constant attack and defense perks.

I've been using Loki and M.Storm + Thor or Iron Man lately. My basic MO is get green or pink matches. Then use Lightning Storm or Loki's Illusion. Then use the other one. Then the other one. Then the other one. Then some damage dealing abilities. Then back to Lightning Storm and Illusion. Eventually, I have to make a match and let my opponent have a turn. Try to make that match be green or pink. Then repeat the previous process until they die.

davepoobond

I used to use daken Thor and storm as my main farm team. But after they nerfed storm I don't touch her. Right now it's Thor daken and modern hawkeye/ iron man 40.

speaking of classic storm, i feel like the superior build is 5/5/3 for her now. the passive damage is nice to increase but its pretty much junk unless you're taking super damage. the other two abilities' costs are high, but worth it if they're maxed out i would think.

luckily i only trained the yellow up to 3... i got another yellow today so i had to decide if i wanted to sell it off or use it.

Dash Kappei

How did they nerf C.Storm? I noticed that while before with her passive yellow power she only dealt damage if you hit her team partners, now even hitting her (20% etc.) triggers her strike-back damage. I guess she deals way less damage now?

I have her maxed at 5:5:3 (yellow) but she ain't levelled up yet (just lev30) so I never use her.

davepoobond

How did they nerf C.Storm? I noticed that while before with her passive yellow power she only dealt damage if you hit her team partners, now even hitting her (20% etc.) triggers her strike-back damage. I guess she deals way less damage now?

I have her maxed at 5:5:3 (yellow) but she ain't levelled up yet (just lev30) so I never use her.

her yellow ability was nerfed by about 90% for >50% player health. i think it buffs back up to around what it used to be <50%. i didn't really read the ability before the nerf, i just remember it doing ridiculous damage.

it was op -- mostly because if you were Cstorm v Cstorm then they could just bounce back and forth with the raging storm and both teams would wipe out.

shugdaddy

Neo Member
I'm not digging this best fo the best tourney, managed to get 325pts to get moonstone and am somehow sitting in the top 25 but nearly every opponent is multiple 85+, my highest level is 70 :(

I have a punisher, both magnetos, doom, and a couple of others i want to try but with no covers for them they are at level 15 which sucks. I don't want to be spending lots of cash on the rare chance to get extra covers for them.

I think i may need to grind the prologue to get more ISO. Any updates on when episode 1 will be out?

Top Bottom