• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

shaowebb

I reaaaaally wish I could just get some friggin Dark Avengers Bullseye covers. Loved him early on, but he never gained levels. I pretty much got jugs and Ironman and whoever randomly gets a cover above lvl 15. Ironman and Jugs are over 35 with no bros in sight :C

NomarTyme

I reaaaaally wish I could just get some friggin Dark Avengers Bullseye covers. Loved him early on, but he never gained levels. I pretty much got jugs and Ironman and whoever randomly gets a cover above lvl 15. Ironman and Jugs are over 35 with no bros in sight :C

Storm and Black Widow are good support team early on.

shaowebb

Holy shit Hulk is a beast in this event. Look at his stats, partners, and how much his moves do.

Gentlemen...it has been an honor serving with you. -_-'
YERO7zR.jpg

hYjC6zb.jpg

RcXL6Vc.jpg

EDIT:

Nevermind! Leveled my Juggernaut. Stomped out Hulk and Daken and then bopped away at Bullseye.

BTW anyone else think Ragnarok is going to get nerfed? Dude only needs 2 red and then he can do around 400 damage. Guy can just sort of run a train on folks with that kind of damage. At least juggernaut's damage was balanced by the increasing damage he takes as you level headbutt.

Wolverine's green ability is just as ridiculous once maxed. I got my last 2 green wolvie covers and when I saw it made the ability cost 3, I was like lul wat.

I'm in trouble though because between the probably (hopeful) Punisher unlock and the in-2-days Ragnarok cover from the daily supply drop, and the (hopeful) hulk cover from finishing this event, I'm going to be super out of inventory space. I mean, I already am (but am one more HP reward from earning a slot), but sheesh

NomarTyme

I tried to click to sell a yellow wolverine cover and it used it....now I can't get green to 5.

You done fuck up.

Wolverine's green ability is just as ridiculous once maxed. I got my last 2 green wolvie covers and when I saw it made the ability cost 3, I was like lul wat.

I'm in trouble though because between the probably (hopeful) Punisher unlock and the in-2-days Ragnarok cover from the daily supply drop, and the (hopeful) hulk cover from finishing this event, I'm going to be super out of inventory space. I mean, I already am (but am one more HP reward from earning a slot), but sheesh
I have two spaces open. So 19/21 filled. I solded all my one stars.

Gotchaye

I don't think they're really in the same class. Ragnarok's is cheaper, does more direct damage, and creates 5 random green tiles which can produce matches themselves. Wolverine is really good, but Ragnarok and maybe Magneto are just plain better than everybody else.

But, yeah, I'm in the same boat. I'm thinking about giving them money for cover slots. I like the game well enough. I'm in a rough spot because I still use my 1* guys like Black Widow and Modern Storm, since I don't have enough covers for better characters, but I don't want to throw out any 2* or 3* covers both because I like collecting and they might end up being useful (like Modern Hawkeye in the Hunt or the Dark Avengers in their tournament). I might toss IM35 if I get a Punisher after this round of events, I guess.

shaowebb

Is there some kind of leveling limit or something?

EDIT: O_O
Why can't I level Iron Man's repulsor blast anymore now that Ultimate Freeon beam and Armored Assault are full?

Gotchaye

Is there some kind of leveling limit or something?

EDIT: O_O
Why can't I level Iron Man's repulsor blast anymore now that Ultimate Freeon beam and Armored Assault are full?

You can only activate 13 covers. So for characters with 3 skills you end up with a 5/5/3 or a 5/4/4 split.

Thanks to Rags on the Daily I am now only missing Classic Magneto and I'll have every charac.

Did way more poorly this set of subevents. Romania was SO fucking hard and I was even having trouble grinding all the way through the last Hulk mission in Greenland. Looking like I'll end up with one Power Up chit and one Standard (maybe Heroic if my luck holds).

Still in a comfy spot for Hulk covers overall but we've all seen how that goes.

;D

EDIT: Just checked on my Wolverine after the Wolverine talk, I actually have him at 5/4/4 with Healing maxed. I just love him having a super strong attack just in case and Green still fills up mad fast. Dude's the best there is at what he does.

Gotchaye

Almost got top 4 in Romania. Should have done all the missions until they were exhausted last night. Oh well, another two Powered Up tokens is nice, as long as they aren't both Captain Americas again. Although actually those came in semi-useful this time around since the Captain was required for some of the missions.

Edit: 1 Captain. Waiting on the next token...

Edit2: And a yellow Wolverine! Exactly what I was looking for. One more yellow and he'll be maxed out.

NomarTyme

Pretty tough round so far since they removed the punisher requirement. Trying my hardest to stay with striking distance of the power up tokens.

NomarTyme

Was about to toss the phone through the window because I got 3 Red cover Wolverine in a row(two from yesterday) , but the next one was green cover Wolverine so all was forgiven.

Blech. One Cap, one Hawkeye Avoid (BLECH) from the Heroic.

This leg looks "fun". Can't imagine how hard the second Subevent is going to be this time.

*GULP*

EDIT: Another Punisher-Only in West Sahara.

shaowebb

Christ is the only way to level up a 2 star or 3 star to shell out money on lotto chances? And why the hell can I still get covers for characters who have maxed out there cover limit?!

shaowebb

Got a couple moonstone out of nowhere but just her gravity warp thing that attracts special tiles to a certain spot. Shes pretty much worthless save for the high health. I get venoms galore but never a Bullseye :C.

I need a third character and bad. Best I got is a lvl 11 moonstone with a garbage ability and a level 15 magneto with his red ability that destroys a few random spots. White Magneto is more useful from what I've played but he's at lvl 6. Thor wont level for shit and the rest just sit there.

Soooo need 2 star covers.

NomarTyme

Got a couple moonstone out of nowhere but just her gravity warp thing that attracts special tiles to a certain spot. Shes pretty much worthless save for the high health. I get venoms galore but never a Bullseye :C.

I need a third character and bad. Best I got is a lvl 11 moonstone with a garbage ability and a level 15 magneto with his red ability that destroys a few random spots. White Magneto is more useful from what I've played but he's at lvl 6. Thor wont level for shit and the rest just sit there.

Soooo need 2 star covers.

Are you doing the prologue?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Most people go 5/3/5 or 5/4/4. I'm going for 5/3/5 because I never use red ability because it require too much red.

The main thing is to max out his Green ability.

Yeah saw that earlier on this page. It seems like 5 4 4 might be a good balance for me but I don't know what the 5th rank for the healing does.

shaowebb

Are you doing the prologue?

Yup. Prologue and vs are the fastest ways to farm recruit tokens, and iso. Plus they tend to yield bonus equipment and health packs. I've farmed out several areas though. Im on the beginning of the last chapter. Here's my roster:

Just cant get any 2 star recruit tokens to save myself here. Gonna have to start the long road of iso farming 500 at a time to roll the dice on recruiting. They REALLY need to institute something like a 1500 to 2000 iso pricepoint 2 star thing to buy sometime. This is enough to make folks walk because they simply cant collect characters even if they do pay due to the lotto. At least make the paid gold tokens have the option of paying higher tags for specific covers or something.

NomarTyme

Yeah saw that earlier on this page. It seems like 5 4 4 might be a good balance for me but I don't know what the 5th rank for the healing does.
adds 21 heath points for every yellow... most likely wrong. 5/4/4 is a good choice though... I'm fighting back and forth.

Yup. Prologue and vs are the fastest ways to farm recruit tokens, and iso. Plus they tend to yield bonus equipment and health packs. I've farmed out several areas though. Im on the beginning of the last chapter. Here's my roster:

Just cant get any 2 star recruit tokens to save myself here. Gonna have to start the long road of iso farming 500 at a time to roll the dice on recruiting. They REALLY need to institute something like a 1500 to 2000 iso pricepoint 2 star thing to buy sometime. This is enough to make folks walk because they simply cant collect characters even if they do pay due to the lotto. At least make the paid gold tokens have the option of paying higher tags for specific covers or something.
why aren't you using Black Widow and Modern storm? My team early on consist of Iron Man(later replaced by Thor), Storm, and Black Widow.Storm and Black Widow has pretty good abilities. Anyways the last chapter will give you more covers like Classic Storm and Thor.

Gotchaye

adds 21 heath points for every yellow... most likely wrong. 5/4/4 is a good choice though... I'm fighting back and forth.
Wolverine's level 4 yellow gives him 25% of his regular heal even if there aren't 8 yellows on the board. His level 5 gives him his full heal all the time. I think it's worth it over the red, just because I basically never use his red except as a finisher and when that happens I often have plenty of red anyway. Especially if you're building with an eye towards the future, it's worth considering that you'll often have someone else on the team who wants red. Both Ragnarok and Thor are better at this. Hell, I find that Modern Storm's red is almost always better than Wolverine's. Especially with Wolverine on the team, the base damage difference doesn't count for much - you care about how many times you can do damage in order to make use of his Strike tiles - and she can cast twice as often and can trigger matches. I don't really see the appeal of 5/4/4; if you're willing to give up a 9% reduction in the cost of his red for an occasional heal of X, surely you're willing to give up an additional 8% reduction in cost for an occasional heal of 4X.

why aren't you using Black Widow and Modern storm? My team early on consist of Iron Man(later replaced by Thor), Storm, and Black Widow.Storm and Black Widow has pretty good abilities. Anyways the last chapter will give you more covers like Classic Storm and Thor.

Seconded. Below is what I have right now, and I use Modern Storm in almost every fight. Modern Widow also comes along any time there's a single biggest threat on the enemy team, which happens a lot in these Hulk events. Level 20 means she's never exposed to direct damage but has a little bit of HP in case of AOE attacks; her abilities are level-independent (and actually you probably don't want to max out her purple).

Edit: Modern Widow is made obsolete by Spiderman, but until you have one of those with a maxed blue I think she deserves a spot on the roster.

shaowebb

I had Classic Storm but NEVER got any covers and sold her to make room for Magneto. Black Widow I just sell anytime I see her. I dont like her. I know everyone is all over her, but I honestly just dont care about her or her style.

I have a particular thing Im trying for. Im going with one healthy heavy with instakills and one cover fire dude and Im trying to get one passive ability character like Bullseye to irritate folks. I keep using Wolverine for it right now at higher levels. I just dont care for the whole placing timers thing as cascades wreck that and the whole suppressive fire thing doesn't do it for me. I prefer to up my offense and counter choose what gems I remove from play to gimp people's abilities. Im pretty aggro and for space control Juggernaut's rush pops things off the board plus deals damage. I'd go for a spiderman if I could though. I dig how he's blue and cheap at stuns. Couldn't get Venom to work as well as Spidey.

Just a thing man. I dont like Widow and I never got another Storm. I play aggressive and try to end things quick in Marvel like ojust like I do with Fire decks in Magic the Gathering. Cant get any damned covers to save my team though and its REALLY close to working. Just needs that third. At the rate things are going it'll likely turn into Wolverine before Bullseye ever gets off the ground. Least he heals while adding all that damage.

shaowebb

How can you not like stunning for 5 turns?

Never played a Widow who could pull it off. Plus I use Juggernaut's green ability a lot so it messes with timer stuff. Like I said I play to gimp and then go for one shots. Im going for a full aggro team. I wanted Bullseye since his passive made for the defense. Wolverine is nice, but Im fishing for specials here and Im gonna pop them reds he puts out for Repulsors and Headbutts. Also with me playing to gimp I use Juggernauts green a lot and that means Wolverine's slash bonuses are splitting game time with Juggernaut's game play. Bullseye would fit me better. I considered Daken and if I had one I'd give him a shot, but I keep thinking his greens wouldn't help much given Juggernaut would pop them same as he pops Wolverine's reds.

Basically Im fishing for a blue and purple users who can buff and possibly attack. Bullseye has a huge attack plus he makes my team healthier which is great. I liked Spiderman as his stun didn't involve timers, was cheap and eays to get, and it used blue which is relatively a non tool for me as Red/yellow/green are the fastest specials I can land. I love freeon beam but it takes a while so I dont depend on it. Spiderman's stun works with my setup too as it doesn't matter if I pop it with Juggernaut so much as its so cheap and fast to hit that I generally have it ready...especially since my Juggernaut often causes cascades after his tool that fuels meter build (only the initial pop doesn't build).

EDIT: If I could run a second team though too my Ironman/Juggernaut/Bullseye main I'd like to try a Wolverine/Daken/Storm. It'd be so god damned annoying.

Gotchaye

Never played a Widow who could pull it off. Plus I use Juggernaut's green ability a lot so it messes with timer stuff. Like I said I play to gimp and then go for one shots. Im going for a full aggro team. I wanted Bullseye since his passive made for the defense. Wolverine is nice, but Im fishing for specials here and Im gonna pop them reds he puts out for Repulsors and Headbutts. Also with me playing to gimp I use Juggernauts green a lot and that means Wolverine's slash bonuses are splitting game time with Juggernaut's game play. Bullseye would fit me better. I considered Daken and if I had one I'd give him a shot, but I keep thinking his greens wouldn't help much given Juggernaut would pop them same as he pops Wolverine's reds.

Basically Im fishing for a blue and purple users who can buff and possibly attack. Bullseye has a huge attack plus he makes my team healthier which is great. I liked Spiderman as his stun didn't involve timers, was cheap and eays to get, and it used blue which is relatively a non tool for me as Red/yellow/green are the fastest specials I can land. I love freeon beam but it takes a while so I dont depend on it. Spiderman's stun works with my setup too as it doesn't matter if I pop it with Juggernaut so much as its so cheap and fast to hit that I generally have it ready...especially since my Juggernaut often causes cascades after his tool that fuels meter build (only the initial pop doesn't build).

I'm not following. Modern Widow doesn't have any timers. She spends 9 blue AP to stun one guy for 5 turns and his team for 1 turn, instantly. And then she can spend purple to steal AP from the enemy team. She seems to be exactly what you're looking for. None of the Widows have timers, I don't think. Original's blue messes with enemy timers, but doubles as a heal. Grey has nothing to do with timers.

shaowebb

I'm not following. Modern Widow doesn't have any timers. She spends 9 blue AP to stun one guy for 5 turns and his team for 1 turn, instantly. And then she can spend purple to steal AP from the enemy team. She seems to be exactly what you're looking for. None of the Widows have timers, I don't think. Original's blue messes with enemy timers, but doubles as a heal. Grey has nothing to do with timers.
EDIT:

Am I not allowed to just hate the character and want to go any other route possible? I did think the timers were tied to her but if not then my bad. Still I hate her character. She's just so forced.

shaowebb

Whatchu talkin bout Willis?

I dont like her character. She is a direct spy movie cliche. She plays every side, she's plot armored out the ass so she always has the same thing happen. No one just kills her they always lock her away so she can show how amazingly capable she is by escaping with all their secrets because that was ALWAYS her plan after all. She hooks up with whoever on whatever team she is on because her role is mysterious female and that is always the love interest and in general there's nothing she can do that a grenade or proximity mine shouldn't handle. At least Hawkeye has a prop and infallible accuracy for the whole "killshot" danger theme, but she is just there to be the dashing foreign double agent.

She is a living tribute to a spy movie plot device. Her role is to show up, hide, and call someone more interesting up with "information" they will need. She's just boring and feels forced to move plot along in every single thing she is in to me.

So yeah, if I gotta go one star i'll try her if I have to. Be nice to get Storm if that'd work instead though or Bullseye after all this time, or even see Spiderman for once. But Black Widow? I just dont want to give a shit. Even if she works fuck her. I thought she worked different and it might help but I really hate her and her plot armored cliches. Gas the room she's in and toss in some grenades. If she works fine, but I really dont care about her.

How does her character in a comic have anything to do with her being good or bad? You're really detrimenting yourself if you're thinking that way. Who cares? She's good.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I dont like her character. She is a direct spy movie cliche. She plays every side, she's plot armored out the ass so she always has the same thing happen. No one just kills her they always lock her away so she can show how amazingly capable she is by escaping with all their secrets because that was ALWAYS her plan after all. She hooks up with whoever on whatever team she is on because her role is mysterious female and that is always the love interest and in general there's nothing she can do that a grenade or proximity mine shouldn't handle. At least Hawkeye has a prop and infallible accuracy for the whole "killshot" danger theme, but she is just there to be the dashing foreign double agent.

She is a living tribute to a spy movie plot device. Her role is to show up, hide, and call someone more interesting up with "information" they will need. She's just boring and feels forced to move plot along in every single thing she is in to me.

So yeah, if I gotta go one star i'll try her if I have to. Be nice to get Storm if that'd work instead though or Bullseye after all this time, or even see Spiderman for once. But Black Widow? I just dont want to give a shit. Even if she works fuck her. I thought she worked different and it might help but I really hate her and her plot armored cliches. Gas the room she's in and toss in some grenades. If she works fine, but I really dont care about her.

you are insane

Is there any way to move from the iPhone to the iPad? The game is playable on my iPhone 4 but it's showing its age.

Cloud saves? Facebook login? Is it possible?

How does her character in a comic have anything to do with her being good or bad? You're really detrimenting yourself if you're thinking that way. Who cares? She's good.
I dunno. I respect playing who you like rather than bandwagoning top tiers. I dont really like to play villians. Theres still some flexibility with team choices and winning events.

I'd consider Mags. The Brotherhood. His purple is good but not so much his blue. Modern Hawkeye has a good blue, as does c.Storm. To be honest though, you dont really need a rainbow team. 4 colours are usually good enough.

Daken+Juggs is a pretty decent low level combo though. That would prolly be my first choice.

NomarTyme

Is there any way to move from the iPhone to the iPad? The game is playable on my iPhone 4 but it's showing its age.

Cloud saves? Facebook login? Is it possible?

Facebook login. Make sure you login your FB account to the iphone 4 first and then login your Ipad.

Wolverine's level 4 yellow gives him 25% of his regular heal even if there aren't 8 yellows on the board. His level 5 gives him his full heal all the time. I think it's worth it over the red, just because I basically never use his red except as a finisher and when that happens I often have plenty of red anyway. Especially if you're building with an eye towards the future, it's worth considering that you'll often have someone else on the team who wants red. Both Ragnarok and Thor are better at this. Hell, I find that Modern Storm's red is almost always better than Wolverine's. Especially with Wolverine on the team, the base damage difference doesn't count for much - you care about how many times you can do damage in order to make use of his Strike tiles - and she can cast twice as often and can trigger matches. I don't really see the appeal of 5/4/4; if you're willing to give up a 9% reduction in the cost of his red for an occasional heal of X, surely you're willing to give up an additional 8% reduction in cost for an occasional heal of 4X.
Good stuff.

Facebook login. Make sure you login your FB account to the iphone 4 first and then login your Ipad.

This doesn't seem to work for me.

I logged into the iPad's Facebook profile with my bogus FB setup....then downloaded the app but it still threw me into the tutorials after I selected "connect to facebook".

Weird.

NomarTyme

Does that work with the PC version too?

Not for me. I heard that you can ask D3 to link your account to the PC version, if you were invited in their PC beta.

This doesn't seem to work for me.

I logged into the iPad's Facebook profile with my bogus FB setup....then downloaded the app but it still threw me into the tutorials after I selected "connect to facebook".

Weird.
So it was the same FB account you used for Iphone 4?

I had no problem going from my Android to another Android.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I really hate seeing the prizes in the main tournament because I know it's impossible to reach most of them. I just passed 2000 points and there's no way I'll get any of the good rewards at this pace. :(

At least I'll end up with two or three Hulks.

I do like that they have a new token type as a reward (or is it a renamed Heroic one?)

I pulled a classic Spiderman this morning, which is the first time I've gotten him. Sitting at 25/25 slots.

I'm currently sitting at #7 on that Sahara tournament. Wish I could make it into the top 4 but I don't think it's going to happen.

Interestingly it looks like the "Trivial" battle in that event no longer even has a reward point listed. Haven't seen that before.

Top Bottom