• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Everyone's favorite part of the game. I sort of want to keep playing after everyone stops playing. You guys know what I mean, after the player numbers and revenue drop dramatically from what it is now. That's going to be an interesting day in mpq land.

When they bump every power up to the max and shit gets real?

Can't wait.

Spoit

I dunno, I think the new Falcon Cap looks bad ass. I want it. I'll be able to actually use it in about two years, I'd imagine.

Really? He looks pretty mid tier to me. As long as you have enough protects to block match damage, there is pretty sharp diminishing returns on the utility of additional strength. And even at 5 covers and 270, he's worse at enhancing tiles than the 3* one, much less PX.

The red does decent damage, but is a bit overkill for non 250+ nodes, and unlike the complaints about FT being a 19 AP move, it actually is a 23 AP move

Really? He looks pretty mid tier to me. As long as you have enough protects to block match damage, there is pretty sharp diminishing returns on the utility of additional strength. And even at 5 covers and 270, he's worse at enhancing tiles than the 3* one, much less PX.

The red does decent damage, but is a bit overkill for non 250+ nodes, and unlike the complaints about FT being a 19 AP move, it actually is a 23 AP move

Honestly, I didn't think about it that hard... -_-

Malmorian

I had the spare HP and was waiting on a new 3* or something to use it on, but i couldn't resist the new Spidey with *actual* powers.

shaowebb

Hmmm...new 4 star Falcon cap looks more like a 3 star to me. The ability to convert all yellow to shields is good and his red damage being based off of friendly tiles makes that work well as a more offensive take on the old Falcon setup. Thing is there are FAR better red dudes out there and the other Falcon is a better tile buffer. Plus the other Falcon's ability to negate enemy tiles is more valuable than the offense IMO considering he's support tier already. I'm trying to come up with a team that uses Cap Falcon for yellow/red/blue and most of them would be better off using other dudes for that role in general. Doesn't work with Cage, Steve Rogers is a no go (obviously), Iron Fist has better friends, Cyclops laughs at him, no one cares about Colossus, Magneto shakes his head, Daken scoffs, Thor tosses his hair at him...it just goes on and on that way as I try to figure out a partner for the dude that wouldn't be better off hanging with someone else in a team.

Best bet is to fish for 100-150 to get a green Iron Fist on this thing honestly. Today nets you a purple and that Green would compliment that well. Mine is max level at 3/5/5 currently and I'd much rather enjoy that green Cover. As is, the only reason to fish for "wishes he was cool enough to push in comics without having to ride another hero's gimmick" four star Sam is so you can play certain nodes that require him.

zulux21

yay my black panther and iron fist are finally really sexy together

PuIvNue.png

Triz

Yeah I was happy for the purple IF today because I was finally able to complete the 3/5/5 build. Mine was 4/4/5.

shaowebb

Yeah I was happy for the purple IF today because I was finally able to complete the 3/5/5 build. Mine was 4/4/5.

So wait...Are folks wanting the 3/5/5 build as the optimum now? I thought the goal was 5 green, 5 purple, 3 black. I know the black at max level does like 486 per turn passive as long as the tile is out. Are folks banking on the damage multipliers from his green at 3 making that good enough each turn to outweigh the bonus of just straight up putting out more strike tiles by having that at 5?

Spoit

So wait...Are folks wanting the 3/5/5 build as the optimum now? I thought the goal was 5 green, 5 purple, 3 black. I know the black at max level does like 486 per turn passive as long as the tile is out. Are folks banking on the damage multipliers from his green at 3 making that good enough each turn to outweigh the bonus of just straight up putting out more strike tiles by having that at 5?

Other way around. The 553 people are arguing that you'd catch up quicker to the ticking damage from the black (which pretty much trivializes hood/loki). If you use fist a lot for seeds and low level pve nodes, black is definitely better.

Most of the arguments I've heard for 553 revolved around the assumption that you're boosting g/b for fistbuster. Of course, IMO at that point the extra strikes from 5 green are silly since you're casting it after the overdrive strikes anyway

zulux21

i tend to use patch/loki/fist for hard nodes which patch's green is better anyways

and panther/first/and someone else for mid to low nodes which typically while focusing on purple and black I don't get enough to throw off a green anyways so the extra black base damage is better for me.

shaowebb

i tend to use patch/loki/fist for hard nodes which patch's green is better anyways

and panther/first/and someone else for mid to low nodes which typically while focusing on purple and black I don't get enough to throw off a green anyways so the extra black base damage is better for me.

Hmmm...I like that team. I generally run C Mags, Patch, Loki but tossing mags for Fist sounds fine. It'll make getting Loki able to convert patch tiles quicker and that should cover Iron Fist who will take tile priority for me since he's max leveled. I'll give it a go.

Piotrek

Hi, I got back to playing puzzle quest after a year or so and I need some help on which characters to keep and level, and which to dump.
My roster:
Spider-Man*** 0/2/0 lvl 40
The Hood*** 1/0/0 lvl 40
Iron Man* 4/5/4 lvl 30
Steve Rogers** 4/3/3 lvl 30
Thor** 2/0/4 lvl 26
Black Widow* 3/5/0 lvl 21
Storm* 4/5/4 lvl 19
Storm** 1/1/1 lvl 18
Juggernaut* 5/4 lvl 15
Hawkeye 4/1 lvl 15
Spider-Man** 1/0/2 lvl 5
Magneto** 2/0/0 lvl 15
Daken** 1/0/0 lvl 15
Moonstone** 0/1/0 lvl 15
Venom* 5/4/0 lvl 6
Hawkeye* 5/5 lvl 3
Yelena Belova* 2/2 lvl 2

Waiting to be claimed (17 slots, I hit a snag on collecting HP for more slots):
Human Torch**
2x Spider-Man*
Captain Marvel ***

Thanks in advance!

zulux21

Hmmm...I like that team. I generally run C Mags, Patch, Loki but tossing mags for Fist sounds fine. It'll make getting Loki able to convert patch tiles quicker and that should cover Iron Fist who will take tile priority for me since he's max leveled. I'll give it a go.

yup, I like fist there as his purple means I should always have the black for loki as some boards just hate you when it comes to black.

beyond that his attack tile + a patch strike results in a lot of bonus damage.

finally during waves you can collect a ton of purple, and fist's purple with 12 black is very powerful and allows me to do the last wave of the deadpool stuff in seconds as I just mash his purple and everything dies lol.

Hi, I got back to playing puzzle quest after a year or so and I need some help on which characters to keep and level, and which to dump.
My roster:
Spider-Man*** 0/2/0 lvl 40
The Hood*** 1/0/0 lvl 40
Iron Man* 4/5/4 lvl 30
Steve Rogers** 4/3/3 lvl 30
Thor** 2/0/4 lvl 26
Black Widow* 3/5/0 lvl 21
Storm* 4/5/4 lvl 19
Storm** 1/1/1 lvl 18
Juggernaut* 5/4 lvl 15
Hawkeye 4/1 lvl 15
Spider-Man** 1/0/2 lvl 5
Magneto** 2/0/0 lvl 15
Daken** 1/0/0 lvl 15
Moonstone** 0/1/0 lvl 15
Venom* 5/4/0 lvl 6
Hawkeye* 5/5 lvl 3
Yelena Belova* 2/2 lvl 2

Waiting to be claimed (17 slots, I hit a snag on collecting HP for more slots):
Human Torch**
2x Spider-Man*
Captain Marvel ***

Thanks in advance!
Get rid of all one stars except Jug and Iron man for now. You want to focus on getting a team of 2 stars to level 94. Depending on what covers you get, start with Thor/Ares/Daken/ Wolverine and Magneto/Storm. The first 4 are more or less interchangeable. You also need a 2 star original black widow. Do not spend HP on anything except roster slots. Finish the prologue for all the good token, HP, and cover rewards.

Dalek

I finally have a fully leveled Kamala. She's a 5/4/4 but I read that 3/5/5 is the way to go-so I guess I'll be respecing her when I can-but shes my favorite character in the game. Very useful.

shaowebb

yup, I like fist there as his purple means I should always have the black for loki as some boards just hate you when it comes to black.

beyond that his attack tile + a patch strike results in a lot of bonus damage.

finally during waves you can collect a ton of purple, and fist's purple with 12 black is very powerful and allows me to do the last wave of the deadpool stuff in seconds as I just mash his purple and everything dies lol.

Toyed with this setup a lot yesterday and today.

Sad news...I changed my mind. Its neat and all but after having played it awhile the team of C Mags, Patch, Loki still works better for me. You can get to the Loki conversions easier and you get better bonuses for Fist's guaranteed passive damage thanks to Patch but the sheer amount of overlap on the team just plain leaves it open too often.

All of what you said is true, but no real blue or yellow option plus the inability to remove team up tiles leaves the team AP starved more often than I'm used to. Its just faster on a Patch team to run Loki C mags for the constant ability to shuffle the board and remove any non colored AP by popping team up tiles. You just win easier off of cascades and any color you hit is going towards something.

The damage was guaranteed with Iron Fist, but in the end the AP wasn't and that busted this setup for me. Essentially it was more a Patch setup than an Ironfist one so I'll keep pushing for covers to reach my endgame Ironfist team of Iron Fist/Cyclops/???

Leaning towards either Luke Cage, Falcon or Daredevil here. Slowly warming to the concept of Steve Rogers,, Spiderman or She Hulk as others to toy with in this team for stuns, AP starving or shield options. I'll likely get some really sweet results off of Steve Rogers, Cage or Daredevil. Cyclops would just constantly end up popping the odd Ambush tile and should still have enough juice to use his own red.

Spoit

That's because you're using the wrong wolvie on that team. If you're using cmags and loki, you want xfarce. Since it's one of the only 2 team comps (a covered up x-force DP being the other one) where he's not a joke in

shaowebb

That's because you're using the wrong wolvie on that team. If you're using cmags and loki, you want xfarce. Since it's one of the only 2 team comps (a covered up x-force DP being the other one) where he's not a joke in

I don't have a decent Xforce Wolvy. Never went all in on grinds for those.

zulux21

Toyed with this setup a lot yesterday and today.

Sad news...I changed my mind. Its neat and all but after having played it awhile the team of C Mags, Patch, Loki still works better for me. You can get to the Loki conversions easier and you get better bonuses for Fist's guaranteed passive damage thanks to Patch but the sheer amount of overlap on the team just plain leaves it open too often.

All of what you said is true, but no real blue or yellow option plus the inability to remove team up tiles leaves the team AP starved more often than I'm used to. Its just faster on a Patch team to run Loki C mags for the constant ability to shuffle the board and remove any non colored AP by popping team up tiles. You just win easier off of cascades and any color you hit is going towards something.

The damage was guaranteed with Iron Fist, but in the end the AP wasn't and that busted this setup for me. Essentially it was more a Patch setup than an Ironfist one so I'll keep pushing for covers to reach my endgame Ironfist team of Iron Fist/Cyclops/???

Leaning towards either Luke Cage, Falcon or Daredevil here. Slowly warming to the concept of Steve Rogers,, Spiderman or She Hulk as others to toy with in this team for stuns, AP starving or shield options. I'll likely get some really sweet results off of Steve Rogers, Cage or Daredevil. Cyclops would just constantly end up popping the odd Ambush tile and should still have enough juice to use his own red.
I haven't really bothered with c mags since they nerfed him. I sold my fully cover one to get the HP and iso to level up someone else lol.

my cmags has come back decently though

granted I still need 3 more blue covers but still :p

I might give him another try someday.

you are correct though that my team is patch focused, as if I have my way my patch takes every hit possible :p

I can't remember the last time I've got a 4 star from a token.

I've had a few, just not Xforce.

But I'm shooting for the Iron Fist cover instead of Falcon in this PVE. Maybe that's a mistake, but I'd rather have a character I can actually use. IF is close to usable now.

shaowebb

I haven't really bothered with c mags since they nerfed him. I sold my fully cover one to get the HP and iso to level up someone else lol.

my cmags has come back decently though

granted I still need 3 more blue covers but still :p

I might give him another try someday.

you are correct though that my team is patch focused, as if I have my way my patch takes every hit possible :p

C Mags isn't bad by any means. The fast way in which he causes the board to clear out Team Up tiles actually creates a LOT of opportunity as it makes certain the board is filled with larger amounts of colored tiles to fish for. Plus it does pretty respectable damage on a patch team. I know Patch's Red is the kill shot but a lot of the whole Loki Patch setup depends on clearing out the bullshit to find fuel since Patch has a 14 AP move and Loki has an 11 AP move and his is absolutely necessary.

Generally, C Mags role is to keep the board moving fast. His blue shuffles things and Loki's cheap purple shuffle things. This creates turns that tend to last awhile and generate heavy AP in various areas. That coupled with the Cmags red to clear out the waste Team Up tiles lets Patch get to his combo with Loki quicker. Honestly C Mags running this method of support in general benefits many teams and its always doing some damage (just happens to be better damage with Patch given the cascades get huge bonuses from patch tiles). Definitely level him. He helps a lot. He's no longer the big gun but hes definitely a solid guy that speeds up "the big gun's" gameplan on any team.

Spoit

Yeah I only got 2 4*s out of the 200-ish heroic-ish tokens I opened last week. Of course, none of them were actually usable

zulux21

C Mags isn't bad by any means. The fast way in which he causes the board to clear out Team Up tiles actually creates a LOT of opportunity as it makes certain the board is filled with larger amounts of colored tiles to fish for. Plus it does pretty respectable damage on a patch team. I know Patch's Red is the kill shot but a lot of the whole Loki Patch setup depends on clearing out the bullshit to find fuel since Patch has a 14 AP move and Loki has an 11 AP move and his is absolutely necessary.

Generally, C Mags role is to keep the board moving fast. His blue shuffles things and Loki's cheap purple shuffle things. This creates turns that tend to last awhile and generate heavy AP in various areas. That coupled with the Cmags red to clear out the waste Team Up tiles lets Patch get to his combo with Loki quicker. Honestly C Mags running this method of support in general benefits many teams and its always doing some damage (just happens to be better damage with Patch given the cascades get huge bonuses from patch tiles). Definitely level him. He helps a lot. He's no longer the big gun but hes definitely a solid guy that speeds up "the big gun's" gameplan on any team.

that is right... some (most) people actually use patch's red move. I forget that :p
I just use it as bonus damage in long waves I rarely ever go after red I much prefer the extra strike tiles from green.

Spoit

that is right... some (most) people actually use patch's red move. I forget that :p
I just use it as bonus damage in long waves I rarely ever go after red I much prefer the extra strike tiles from green.

I don't know anyone who uses patch red anymore, now that there are much better reds to use instead

TimeKillr

Hey guys, so I've been working on Magic the Gathering: Puzzle Quest for a few months now (I couldn't talk about it!) and there's an announcement thread and all.

If you guys want to join in, I figure a few of you guys would probably enjoy the game, and is partly why the reason I've been playing MPQ for the past few months like crazy.

Dalek

Hey guys, so I've been working on Magic the Gathering: Puzzle Quest for a few months now (I couldn't talk about it!) and there's an announcement thread and all.

If you guys want to join in, I figure a few of you guys would probably enjoy the game, and is partly why the reason I've been playing MPQ for the past few months like crazy.

Do you know when it's coming out?

I've never played Magic, but I'm interested in a fresh PQ experience.

zulux21

Do you know when it's coming out?

I've never played Magic, but I'm interested in a fresh PQ experience.

ill cross post his response to me in another thread as I figure I am not the only one that dislikes having to pour resources into character slots
If there's *one* thing I can tell you, is that there are absolutely NO character slots/etc. None whatsoever. It's far removed from Marvel Puzzle Quest in that regard - there's zero limits on what you can own. Everything you get you keep forever.

shaowebb

Server =ded
Least I got my Black Panther cover before it pooped out. I wonder whats up?

EDIT: aaaaaaaaaaaaand its back after a few hours. Nothing happened. Lost a recruit token over it but meh.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Yes. Yes I would.

shaowebb

Okay I think I found my best Iron Fist team for now until I can get a Cyclops built.

Iron Fist/Black Panther/Mystique

My colors are Blue Green Black Purple Yellow leaving only the Red open which is manageable given those are for Fist's strike tiles anyhow. Black Panther Yellow Strike tiles are always ridiculous and the two together on my build puts out some serious damage each turn. Mystique uses her blue ability to create around 10 tiles of either purple or black...both equate to MASSIVE damage for my team (plus it generally generates 5 of a kinds and cascades with those strike tiles added to the damage).

Team runs away pretty fast and doesn't really need to worry about putting up shields, or stealing AP to stay viable versus legit teams. Been testing it in lightning rounds and vs and so far even though Iron Fist is max and BP and Mystique are both low 100's its still killing max level teams including some that are using 4 stars like Xforce Wolvy and Nick Fury.
Neat thing is Mystique is pretty healthy and seems to hold tile priority on the overlapping colors with IronFist and Panther so she takes a lot of the focus off of them early on making her a sturdy meathshield and supporter in general who does little stuff like small stunning folks if we have to do so by using shapeshift if say Iron Fist died, and by mainly rocking the battery property.
I'm pretty happy with this. I just got to watch out for Loki and Daredevil shenanigans and I'm pretty set.

Top Bottom