• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

shaowebb

Scarlet Witch subs out well for Mystique in that setup as well...

I've wanted to run a Scarlet Witch witch with Iron Fist for all that purple. Mine is still a few covers shy of making it work though. Not grinding equates to gaps in my library, but hey stuff to do and all that. Once I have one though I can run this team and rather than using heals I can just pop Scarlet in when Mystique needs a break.

Malmorian

Hey guys, so I've been working on Magic the Gathering: Puzzle Quest for a few months now (I couldn't talk about it!) and there's an announcement thread and all.

If you guys want to join in, I figure a few of you guys would probably enjoy the game, and is partly why the reason I've been playing MPQ for the past few months like crazy.

Hell yeah I'd be down to play

Okay I think I found my best Iron Fist team for now until I can get a Cyclops built.

Iron Fist/Black Panther/Mystique

My colors are Blue Green Black Purple Yellow leaving only the Red open which is manageable given those are for Fist's strike tiles anyhow. Black Panther Yellow Strike tiles are always ridiculous and the two together on my build puts out some serious damage each turn. Mystique uses her blue ability to create around 10 tiles of either purple or black...both equate to MASSIVE damage for my team (plus it generally generates 5 of a kinds and cascades with those strike tiles added to the damage).

Team runs away pretty fast and doesn't really need to worry about putting up shields, or stealing AP to stay viable versus legit teams. Been testing it in lightning rounds and vs and so far even though Iron Fist is max and BP and Mystique are both low 100's its still killing max level teams including some that are using 4 stars like Xforce Wolvy and Nick Fury.
Neat thing is Mystique is pretty healthy and seems to hold tile priority on the overlapping colors with IronFist and Panther so she takes a lot of the focus off of them early on making her a sturdy meathshield and supporter in general who does little stuff like small stunning folks if we have to do so by using shapeshift if say Iron Fist died, and by mainly rocking the battery property.
I'm pretty happy with this. I just got to watch out for Loki and Daredevil shenanigans and I'm pretty set.

Just tried this with a fully covered Mystique @ 102 and a lacking IF also at 102. They were backed by a max BP.

Holy black cascades. Amazing!

shaowebb

Hell yeah I'd be down to play

I'm in too. The man digs feedback and I dig talking strategy. Heck I also dig CCG titles in general and love variants on the genre. Combining it with Puzzle Quest sounds like a perfect match for me.

Yo Spoit! Your a strategy man yourself. Gonna join in?
Just tried this with a fully covered Mystique @ 102 and a lacking IF also at 102. They were backed by a max BP.

Holy black cascades. Amazing!

Lol! Yeah I wasn't joking...a lot of what some folks don't take into account is just how valuable a fast team is if it can get a lot of cascades like the ones you saw. A lot of us were there for the days of Oasis+Storm+Thor and remember this sort of thing and how far it can go. This team doesn't end up causing nigh infinite turns but it makes up for that in that once it gets going it can place out enough multipliers to the damage that the cascades just devastate folks. Cascades generally net you a lot of various stuff and since your guaranteed stuff is already black or purple it means Iron Fist is locked and loaded along with Mystique and Rage of the Panther.

I tend to look for teams that keep the board moving fast with multipliers. I run a lot of Patch/Loki/C Mags because it has a lot of color coverage but most importantly it moves the board a LOT with damage multipliers in place. Just slaughters folks and if you find any teams with these sorts of tools and decent costs then they'll do the same. The Iron Fist/Mystique/Black Panther team is better than the Patch one IMO because it batteries alongside of getting the cascades and multiplier shots in. Plus it has potential for stuns, AP depletion, and shields. Only lacks red and with all that you don't need it.

I'm still working out what the best Cyclops team along those lines would be...I know Ironfist/Cyclops is a runaway with how fast it builds and kills, but a part of me keeps feeling I haven't locked down the proper third. BP does well though as do so many others but this setup just eats at me. It feels off...like I missed something here. When I figure it out you'll know :)

Other folks I keep feeling like there is a devastating combination in the wings waiting to happen for are:

Daredevil
Carnage
She Hulk (...maybe...working on something but it runs too slow at the moment)
Quicksilver (...maybe...its missing some tools at the moment to test)

Dalek

That team does work well. I need to level those 3 up so they can be usable but totally see how powerful and quick that is.

shaowebb

Try switching out to PX/IF/MQ

sigh...I dont chase four stars. I don't have Xforce, Prof X, Nick Fury, Carnage, Sam WIlson or whoever else built in any mannger yet. We go through this a lot lol. I think you're the only one here who has that kind of firepower regularly.

TimeKillr

sigh...I dont chase four stars. I don't have Xforce, Prof X, Nick Fury, Carnage, Sam WIlson or whoever else built in any mannger yet. We go through this a lot lol. I think you're the only one here who has that kind of firepower regularly.

Yeah PX is gonna do major work in that team, lol. All those 5-matches...

Otherwise, I've been looking at how to complement IF and BP. I figured Mystique and Scarlet Witch would be good, but neither of them are fully covered . Witch is 2/5/1 (I would need 5 purple), and Mystique is 3/3/3, which is good but again I would need 3 blue for this to work.

Right now I'm typically running BP/IF/Beast, strangely enough. My IF isn't maxed (he's 1/5/3, so he has the important color down), fuels BP like nobody, and Beast is actually not that bad now. 2 Blue matches and you've got pretty good tiles on the board, then his green does around 2k damage for 9 green with no drawback, not counting the strikes tiles on the board. Also highly benefits from BP's yellow, so it's all good, really.

Also, for the peeps who want to play MTG:pQ, I'll let you know once it's available! I'm anxious to hear your feedback.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Any open alliance slots? Just came back after a long hiatus and I am addicted again, user is Indigo-7. Happy to do my part, still learning some of the newer mechanics.

shaowebb

Any open alliance slots? Just came back after a long hiatus and I am addicted again, user is Indigo-7. Happy to do my part, still learning some of the newer mechanics.
What in particular do you refer to? Maybe we can help you out.
I really wish I could gift covers to alliance members for moments like this..it'd probably end up breaking the game economy and killing things though :(

zulux21

hope you wanted more 4 stars.

Mr fantastic

a5jTdY2.png

other 4 star
This character is still undergoing final balancing passes, but a brief ability rundown:
Green - Deals damage to enemy team, plus bonus damage for each Blue tile on the board
Blue - Stuns the target and places a Countdown tile. Use again to destroy the Countdown tile and deal damage to target
Purple - Transforms Red tiles to Blue tiles, drains Red AP from the enemy. (IceIX - Hulkbuster-buster?)

Triz

I just max leveled the 1 star spider man cause I had the covers and no one stars. The 2000 ISO deadpool daily reward will no longer taunt me.

shaowebb

hope you wanted more 4 stars.

Mr fantastic

other 4 star

Right now the 4 stars are the only major issue with the game in terms of problems.

1 star=everyone has them and they are easy to obtain. Usefulness is so limited that there is no need to have them in most cases

2 star=where the new early game is. You end up with a lot of these because hero tokens generally yield these above all else.

3 star=where the main game is for the bulk of folks. 3 stars, while taking effort, are actually obtainable in most cases in both PVP and PVE for the bulk of the player base. They cost an appropriate amount to level so it keeps the long game in place and they have very respectable abilities suited in most cases to their class.

4 star= very difficult to obtain in PVP or PVE. Also they are extremely unlikely to show up in hero tokens. People generally do not look forward to them because you so rarely ever get a single cover without huge time investments that may still not pay off due to the rush of PVP swarms near the end of any event. They look upon them with the mindset that all they do is eat up money for slots and gain you access to singular nodes.

Everything else is fine, but the 4 star yield to effort ratio is just ridiculous. Now with there being so many of them people just dont see them worth the expense in time or effort.

Either just make more 3 stars or come up with some other way to allow folks to earn more 4 stars. As is getting first place or grinding max points in an event is just more than a bit too much effort for folks to justify the cost of making room for them. They eat up space and time for far too slow a return. Honestly if I could get into a drawing for 3 stars with the chance of 4 stars that was equivalent to the current odds on hero tokens for 2 and 3 stars I'd pay 30 recruit tokens just for a shot to roll the dice.

Either just make more 3 stars or come up with some other way to allow folks to earn more 4 stars. As is getting first place or grinding max points in an event is just more than a bit too much effort for folks to justify the cost of making room for them. They eat up space and time for far too slow a return. Honestly if I could get into a drawing for 3 stars with the chance of 4 stars that was equivalent to the current odds on hero tokens for 2 and 3 stars I'd pay 30 recruit tokens just for a shot to roll the dice.

I'm with you 100% on this-I've thought the same thing for ages now. Standard recruit tokens are largely useless and would make a great trade-in currency.

All you people convinced me not to cash in my DD tokens so I've been hoarding. 22 Sweet & 24 Savory. It's going to be a long haul to get up to the 100+.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
What in particular do you refer to? Maybe we can help you out.
I really wish I could gift covers to alliance members for moments like this..it'd probably end up breaking the game economy and killing things though :(

Oh, the team-up power ups, selecting "end times" to events, the taco vault. After a few hoirs I've gotten use to it so all good!

They got rid of healing staying permanent post battle hehe, I guess people were abusing it.

Anyway, lots of new covers to collect! If there is a spare alliance spot, happy to do my bit - Indigo-7 is my user.

shaowebb

Oh, the team-up power ups, selecting "end times" to events, the taco vault. After a few hoirs I've gotten use to it so all good!

They got rid of healing staying permanent post battle hehe, I guess people were abusing it.

Anyway, lots of new covers to collect! If there is a spare alliance spot, happy to do my bit - Indigo-7 is my user.

lol! Yeah it was the first major nerf I remember. Spiderman used to stunlock teams and heal indefinitely early in the game's life. He hasn't been worth much ever since. Eventually healing with anyone became temporaryso as to reset you and leave you vulnerable between matches and so you didn't run into matches that were dull and took forever making the game sort of a turnoff. In other words...not needing healing packs and long games defeated the purpose of a quick game that can tempt you into microtransactions lol.

After that the next major changes came to Thor/Verine which resulted in a damage runaway team where all you needed was those two and you could battery into so much constant damage from Wolverine that no other team competed. That was nerfed and the day of me and many others immediately said their changes to Thor would make Thor/Storm the new devastator and we were right. It lead to a Teamup where you fed Storm Green and what she cleared tended to refuel Thor so much your turn never ended on the stage that (at the time) had an environmental ability called "oasis" that also produced green. A few subsequent changes from environmental tiles to introduce team up tiles so you could hoard and pack counter pick assists onto any team, a color change to Storm, and a general overall rebalancing setup of checks and balances were applied to any color producing character set the game down a much different road. PVP was getting kind of unpredictable near the end of events so shields became a major thing too (that likely was a brilliant profit aid to the game).

From there the game roster expanded. A brief stint of "gold characters" were tried out to make special editions of current cast but in the end 3 stars seemed to take on that same role so it was easier to catch that you had something different for casual players IMO. Alliances became a thing and likely made them a killing as folks paid increasing increments to expand their team with slots so that folks could pool their efforts in a bid to get more rewards. Recently they also added Deadpool dailys so that you could get one cover for a 3 star character per day. This mitigated people getting bored playing several day PVP or PVE events for returns they may or may not have the time to fish for. From then on it seemed the biggest thing they put time into was 4 stars...which we feel have ran amok without any real solution to their economy coming about. They don't break the game so much as turn folks off of it since many PVE nodes require them and they eat up slots for little gain. I expect change in this area eventually too.

And thats MPQ History on what you may have missed out on!

Spoit

I thought that the first major change was the rags nerf. And cstorm nerf

And that the thorverine nerf was well after the gold characters/TUs came out, since that came at the same time as fat thor, whereas the TUs came out with mohawk storm. And regardless, that combo never worked because the enviro power was in red, not yellow

zulux21

And that the thorverine nerf was well after the gold characters/TUs came out, since that came at the same time as fat thor, whereas the TUs came out with mohawk storm. And regardless, that combo never worked because the enviro power was in red, not yellow

I miss the thor storm oasis combo. it was just crazy making like 100 attacks on a level 200team with a level 50 storm and level 70 or so thor (I don't remember the original 2 star level cap)

shaowebb

Oh yeah I forgot about the Ragnarok nerf. Hell I forgot so hard that I generally forget he's in the game lol.

Malmorian

First nerf I felt had to be CMags. I had finally gotten enough tokens to drop some iso into making him like, 70-80 or so, and had just realized what a sick combo his abilities had. Dropped the rest of my iso into him and maaaaybe played that for a day or so before the blunt hammer of injustice took away my toy.
That and XWolv was really brutal to me, as by some miracle of RNG I've had him at 5-2-5 since the 1st 150-200 days ( never got that sweet 3rd black though! ) and dropped everything into him being a beast.

shaowebb

I posted this in the other thread, but if you guys are interested in knowing how Magic Puzzle Quest plays in a bit more detail:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/preview/magic-the-gathering-puzzle-quest

It explains some of our core mechanics and how we adapted MTG to Puzzle Quest.

Oh wow this is pretty neat stuff.

• Pick a planeswalker to play as
  • Knock the opponents life to zero using creatures or spells
  • you can only have three creature cards out at any given time and your creatures automatically attack the opponent at the end of your turn
  • Creatures can't block unless stated otherwise (like having the vigilance trait or something)
  • During your turn, you draw a card from your deck, composed of 4 copies of 10 cards just to keep things simple. You can then arrange your cards however you like on your hand or stack, and once you obtain enough mana from the board to cast the top card on the stack, it goes into play.
  • all mana contributes to the spell no matter the color, but your planeswalker does have favored and unfavored affinities with certain colors so as long as you match stuff you can cast stuff
  • any MTG cards that would be equipment, enchantments, and other permanents (and even some monster cards) have been transformed into support gems on the board with a shield around it. Match that gem to break its shield
  • at least 250 cards from the Magic Origins
  • more planeswalkers after launch

EDIT: Made a post on this in the other thread. Hopefully it generates hype. Also...should us PC folks hope for it there too? I use steam for MPQ...still not certain how to link my account to my tablet. I keep thinking that I'll end up creating a new account, linking both to facebook and the new account that has nothing would overwrite my 600+ hour one or something...

TimeKillr

Oh wow this is pretty neat stuff.

EDIT: Made a post on this in the other thread. Hopefully it generates hype. Also...should us PC folks hope for it there too? I use steam for MPQ...still not certain how to link my account to my tablet. I keep thinking that I'll end up creating a new account, linking both to facebook and the new account that has nothing would overwrite my 600+ hour one or something...

For now, I don't know if there's a PC version planned - we're full-blown into the mobile version.

As for MPQ, as far as I know, you can't link your PC and mobile versions together, even through Facebook.

shaowebb

For now, I don't know if there's a PC version planned - we're full-blown into the mobile version.

As for MPQ, as far as I know, you can't link your PC and mobile versions together, even through Facebook.

Cool. Then that just means that MTG PQ will be my travel title and MPQ is my home one. Works out better that way...means I don't get in the way of one with the other.

zulux21

you are correct there is no way to manually link a steam and mobile account, you can potentially contact support and have them move you though.

I'm a little sad at no PC as I much preferred marvel puzzle quest on the PC over my tablet, but I can deal with a tablet version of the magic one to give it a try :p

Sweet. Looks like the resupply on day 670 is a Star Lord cover. I still don't have a single cover for....it looks like 7 **** characters so I'll take it. Maybe it'll be usable by 2017?

shaowebb

Sweet. Looks like the resupply on day 670 is a Star Lord cover. I still don't have a single cover for....it looks like 7 **** characters so I'll take it. Maybe it'll be usable by 2017?

One can only hope.

Yeah, I can see now that this trend is something they would have to be looking at by this point. 4 stars should mean something, but if you're gonna make them this rare then you can't have soooooo many of them nor should most of the new things be 4 stars for months on end.

They're gonna have to look into the acquision methods of 4 stars a little more and figure out some adjustments.

Malmorian

^ This is exactly my problem with the 4*'s.

A majority of them I only have one cover on one color, soooo why are they taking up space? Because occasionally they are required in PvE. Otherwise they are only awarded as top prize, which in 500+ days of playing i've never gotten close. Really it doesn't feel like the 3-4* transition has been thought out at all. Just YaY! New character!

shaowebb

^ This is exactly my problem with the 4*'s.

A majority of them I only have one cover on one color, soooo why are they taking up space? Because occasionally they are required in PvE. Otherwise they are only awarded as top prize, which in 500+ days of playing i've never gotten close. Really it doesn't feel like the 3-4* transition has been thought out at all. Just YaY! New character!

Yeah...currently many folks (and likely many more) see a new character, and check for 4 star. If its a 4 star they just ignore it and play for 3 stars and say to hell with the PVE nodes. If you're not fishing for top prize 4 stars and only want in the top 5 for 3 stars its a non issue to ignore the new 4 stars anyways.

When folks start ignoring new characters for ANY reason then it is time to address the issue IMO.

zulux21

When folks start ignoring new characters for ANY reason then it is time to address the issue IMO.

I'm going to have to disagree here.

I completely and utterly ignore any new 1 or 2 star as well, but that is because I am in 3 star land. A new 1/2 star for newer players is still an okay thing.

in this case we just aren't really the intended people for the 4 star, that is for the end game people and as more and more people get to the end game stuff more and more 4 stars come out (which is what we are now seeing) the people with strong 4 star line ups are totally devoted to the game and are some of the most likely to spend money, thus from a business point that is likely where they are going with 4 stars.

Hey guys, I've been playing this for almost 2 months now and I'm having a lot of fun but right now I'm having some issues choosing what characters to focus on. So here's what I've got(ordered by level):

Carnage(0/1/0, level 70)
Star-Lord(1/0/0, level 70)
Thor 2*(5/2/5, level 63)
Captain Marvel 2*(4/5/3, level 62)
Storm 2*(3/4/0, level 54)
Kamala Khan(1/1/0, level 43)
Sam Wilson(Falcon)(1/0/1, level 43)
The Hood(1/1/0, level 43)
The Punisher(1/0/1, level 43)
Black Panther(0/1/0, level 40)
Psylocke(0/1/0, level 40)
Magneto 2*(1/2/3, level 39)
Wolverine 2*(1/3/0)

Also I have 3* Black Widow's green power and 3* Human Torch black power in my rewards waiting. As you can see I have a lot of characters that I've kept in the hopes of finding more covers for them, but I've ran out of roster space and I don't know what to keep. Should I spend more on roster space or are there characters in this list that I should just bail on? I'm thinking of removing Star-Lord, The Hood and Punisher since they don't seem that strong anyway.

Hey guys, I've been playing this for almost 2 months now and I'm having a lot of fun but right now I'm having some issues choosing what characters to focus on. So here's what I've got(ordered by level):

Carnage(0/1/0, level 70)
Thor 2*(5/2/5, level 63)
Wolverine 2*(1/3/0)

Also I have 3* Black Widow's green power and 3* Human Torch black power in my rewards waiting. As you can see I have a lot of characters that I've kept in the hopes of finding more covers for them, but I've ran out of roster space and I don't know what to keep. Should I spend more on roster space or are there characters in this list that I should just bail on? I'm thinking of removing Star-Lord, The Hood and Punisher since they don't seem that strong anyway.

If you've got HP stored up from the story missions then spend it on extra slots. Don't get rid of *** and DEFINITELY don't get rid of any **** since they are so rare.

Your **Thor and **Storm will be the center of your team for some time. Hopefully you'll get more **Magneto & **Wolverine covers so they can finish out the threesome. She doesn't get a lot of love, but I really like ***Black Widow so if you can get another slot for her, do it. I've never spent much time with Captain Marvel so I don't know how well she fits in with your other **s but you've got the covers so you'll probably be using her!

Dalek

Carnage(0/1/0, level 70)
Thor 2*(5/2/5, level 63)
Wolverine 2*(1/3/0)

Again, spend your HP on slots, never covers. Try focusing on buidling up 2* thor, magneto, storm, black widow, daken, wolverine and ares. These guys will be your bread and butter. 2* BW in particular is incredibly useful as she can steal enemies AP, heal your team and delay enemy countdown tiles.

shaowebb

Guys you really need to check out the Magic the Gathering Puzzle Quest info. Really amazing stuff being answered here on how its different.
Main thread

Apparently each Planeswalker, in addition to having character specific abilities they can use and buffs and minuses to certain colors, also have a VERY important distinction to them.

Depending on which Planeswalker you play as you have different options on what kind of loadout you can design your deck around between Creature/Support/Spell cards. You make a deck of 40, you can only have 4 multiples of any card, and only 10 different cards per deck. This means you could have one Green Planeswalker who has 6 creat/2 spell/2 support where a new Planeswalker that releases may have the same color stuff, but deck options of 3 creat/4 spell/3 support allowing you to make a slightly more equipment oriented and much more spell loaded deck.

This game is shaping up to be something crazy loaded with depth and strategy and they haven't even shown the cards and planeswalkers yet.

Thanks for the advice, getting more slots was my priority as well, sadly they're becoming more and more expensive. When I was just starting out I spent a lot of my coins on covers and deleted a couple of decent covers I got, but I blame that on the game intentionally not explaining anything to me.

The only problem I'm running into now is my Storm. She's great but really hard to use in PvP since she's so frail. I guess she's better in PvE. Captain Marvel is okay but her red and yellow powers are mostly useless, she's a nice tanky clean-up though.

Thor's been my MVP in most games, he outputs ridiculous damage. Magneto's pretty cool as well but I need more levels on him, should synergize well with Storm.

Get rid of Psylocke and keep 3 star BW. Level Thor to 94 asap.
I would if I had the iso8 to spare, though at least I finally got the covers for Carol and Thor, I had the reverse problem a couple of weeks ago.

At least now I can reliably get top 25 in these pvp events so it should just be a matter of time until I get a decent amount of covers for one character.

Thanks for the advice, getting more slots was my priority as well, sadly they're becoming more and more expensive. When I was just starting out I spent a lot of my coins on covers and deleted a couple of decent covers I got, but I blame that on the game intentionally not explaining anything to me.

The only problem I'm running into now is my Storm. She's great but really hard to use in PvP since she's so frail. I guess she's better in PvE. Captain Marvel is okay but her red and yellow powers are mostly useless, she's a nice tanky clean-up though.

Thor's been my MVP in most games, he outputs ridiculous damage. Magneto's pretty cool as well but I need more levels on him, should synergize well with Storm.
Get 2* BW to tank blue for Storm. At some point BW also gets an extra AP, getting you to Storm's Blue faster.

Get all those 2* up to 94 asap. They're the meat of your roster until you get guys like Lazy Thor covered.

Also, this is super helpful for overall strategy but a little outdated on character recommendations at 3* level.
https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3939

You guys will only be in the newbie brackets for a few events, so make it count. Wait for an event with the rewards you really want and be able to grind hard in those events to make sure you get all 3 covers. Until then, completely play through the prologue nodes and get every HP, token, and cover reward.

shaowebb

You guys will only be in the newbie brackets for a few events, so make it count. Wait for an event with the rewards you really want and be able to grind hard in those events to make sure you get all 3 covers. Until then, completely play through the prologue nodes and get every HP, token, and cover reward.

This so hard. Don't waste your new guy bracketing on fluff cards that aren't worth pursuing. Just fish dailies and power hard through PVE to get all the levels you can to tank your first PVP.

Top Bottom