• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

You mean like needing 3*s to get 3*s? The entire logic of the Deadpool Dailys seem a bit off to me, hope they make it easier to transition to the next tier of characters soon, I'd be fine with having to face powerful 4* teams if it also meant that I had access to more usable 3* characters.

zulux21

You mean like needing 3*s to get 3*s? The entire logic of the Deadpool Dailys seem a bit off to me, hope they make it easier to transition to the next tier of characters soon, I'd be fine with having to face powerful 4* teams if it also meant that I had access to more usable 3* characters.

with the 3 star stuff you need to have some 3 stars yes, but it's really a thing to fill out your 3 star roster as you just need one cover to get the the node that unlocks the cover.

also I should mention we filled the hole in gafvengers as while there might be two more it's a pain to kick commanders thus i won't bother until another event that we need everyone there shows up as we are not a top 100 alliance anyways.

Got my Season 10-Pack, came away with a Mohawk, a Spider-man, an Invisible Woman, and a load of **s. My Mohawk's already maxed out, and I'm not going to put points and Iso into Spidey, so only one cover I'd actually keep, and the time to use her has passed. Hopefully, I'll have better luck with my end of season tokens.

Triz

Think my luck for the year is up. Dead pool vault refresh today pull the legendary token on the first coin. That's two in 2 days.

Ape

Banned
both my wife and I pulled a legendary token from the vault the first week they were available. that was cool, except it got me an Ant Man.

Oh god I got my 10-pack and got an Antman cover, a Cyclops cover, a 3* Deadpool cover, and a Captain Marvel cover. This sounds great except now I have 7 fucking covers of 3/4*s I have zero space for, what a nightmare. I'll have to remove a couple :/

Alright I did an impulsive thing and got the slots, I'm having lots of fun with the game anyway so I don't mind spending the money.

Once my team is strong enough to get those 3*s from the dpd(which should be soon) it'll be worth it anyway.

Edit: Turns out I can finally beat the dpd for the 3 star cover :)

zulux21

first ten pack in like 8 seasons...

lets see what I get.

red marvel
purple mystique

neither of which I can use... and that is it. two 3 star covers :/

Glad I'm not the only one with only junk. I was beginning to feel sad with everyone else's awesome pulls.

I cashed in a bunch of Taco Tokens hoping to get some IF, but got 3 Kamala Khan covers, so that's cool. Thinking of just paying the HP to get IF to where he needs to be.

Dalek

I've read that I shouldn't fully cover certain characters like The Hood and Loki because it keeps them "behind" other heavy hitters within a match-is this true?

TimeKillr

It's good in PvE, yes, because your opponent doesn't choose who they're attacking.

In PvP though, it's really bad, since when you're defending your opponent *will* choose on focusing on them. It can make some characters like Hulk really good in PvE since you're pretty much guaranteed they'll hit him, but otherwise it's kinda crappy.

BTW, this is in regards to leveling them. Covering them has no bearing on their HP or match damage. So you always want to fully cover all your characters.

Dalek

It's good in PvE, yes, because your opponent doesn't choose who they're attacking.

In PvP though, it's really bad, since when you're defending your opponent *will* choose on focusing on them. It can make some characters like Hulk really good in PvE since you're pretty much guaranteed they'll hit him, but otherwise it's kinda crappy.

BTW, this is in regards to leveling them. Covering them has no bearing on their HP or match damage. So you always want to fully cover all your characters.

Great advice, thank you!

zulux21

I've read that I shouldn't fully cover certain characters like The Hood and Loki because it keeps them "behind" other heavy hitters within a match-is this true?

my loki is only level 104 or so as he can then hide behind daken or iron fist for matching black/purple.

plus it isn't like loki's attacks get stronger with more levels, the only thing he gets more of is HP and match damage and he never gets a ton of hp.

TimeKillr

my loki is only level 104 or so as he can then hide behind daken or iron fist for matching black/purple.

plus it isn't like loki's attacks get stronger with more levels, the only thing he gets more of is HP and match damage and he never gets a ton of hp.

But like I said, this is good in PvE (since he'll effectively hide) and attacking in PvP, but when you're defending in PvP, your Loki is immediately target #1 and won't ever benefit from this at *all*. Not to mention if you attack someone with a 104 Loki and 2 166s, you look like a weaker target and will be attacked more often.

zulux21

But like I said, this is good in PvE (since he'll effectively hide) and attacking in PvP, but when you're defending in PvP, your Loki is immediately target #1 and won't ever benefit from this at *all*. Not to mention if you attack someone with a 104 Loki and 2 166s, you look like a weaker target and will be attacked more often.

to be fair a level 166 patch and level 166 loki doesn't scare me any more than a level 166 patch and a level 70 loki. loki is an easy target regardless.

I don't do much pvp anymore anyways, and anymore I am using my panther + iron fist team instead.

might change that to luke cage and iron fist now that my cage is mostly covered as constant attack and defense tiles is super annoying to face even with people who can deal with them.

Pulled another 4* from a random heroic token, this time yellow Invisible Woman.

I don't want to act ungrateful but it'd be nice if I could get more covers for the characters I already have instead of getting new valuable characters :p

Dalek

Funny enough I too pulled a Yellow Invisible Woman cover from a Heroic token just now. That makes her 3/4/5 for me. Crazy that of all the 4 star covers to give me,it picks her. The most useless one.

zulux21

so... it seems the next legendary event will be the hulkbuster (I have a single cover on this one)

the most logical opponent, a level 270 hulk lol.

hopefully hulk isn't to angry, either way no matter who the opponent is I have no chance in hell of beating a level 270 with a single cover.

zulux21

I have 4 hulk buster covers. Not going to happen.

I would guess lady thor would be after that (she is the oldest unused 4 star) which I have a chance to do, and then maybe they will screw with everyone and do devil dino against like Bullseye or loki where dino's massive HP would be all that is really needed to win that fight lol.

Spoit

I found the best way to play, ignore the first half of the season. Guaranteed 3 10-packs at the end. Plus, then I can focus on PvE events.

That's pretty dependent on your luck. It's just as likely (probably moreso actually) to join one that's a good few events stale, putting you at a few thousand point handicap, making even top 50 a huge grind

TimeKillr

to be fair a level 166 patch and level 166 loki doesn't scare me any more than a level 166 patch and a level 70 loki. loki is an easy target regardless.

I don't do much pvp anymore anyways, and anymore I am using my panther + iron fist team instead.

might change that to luke cage and iron fist now that my cage is mostly covered as constant attack and defense tiles is super annoying to face even with people who can deal with them.

Yeah if you're doing just PvE, then yeah. :)

And you're right in that a 70 Loki and a 166 Loki don't change much, since he really has zero offensive capabilities, but at least a 166 is a bit harder to kill :)

I wish my Luke Cage was fully covered.. I'm still missing a ton of covers for him, and I really wish I could do Luke Cage + Iron Fist + I'm not sure who, maybe either Falcon to make Luke Cage's protect tile even worse or Scarlet Witch to accelerate purple.

That's pretty dependent on your luck. It's just as likely (probably moreso actually) to join one that's a good few events stale, putting you at a few thousand point handicap, making even top 50 a huge grind

I placed really low in the prior season, now I'm top 10 with ~4000 pts. I think they put me in a weak bracket. I can definitely hit top 3, I think.

The focus on four and now five star characters is really killing my drive to do anything with the fully covered, non-leveled three stars in my roster.

Daken, Punisher, Sentry, Hulk, Captain Marvel, Mystique, Daredevil, Deadpool, Loki, Psylock, Squirrel Girl, Storm, She-Hulk, Torch & Spidey.

Can any of them compete with the typical *** heavy hitters? (Fist, KK, Cage, Thor, LCap & BP).

I placed really low in the prior season, now I'm top 10 with ~4000 pts. I think they put me in a weak bracket. I can definitely hit top 3, I think.
Wow that's insane, my top 10 all have over 10k points, I'm struggling to remain in the top 1000. I've gotten all I wanted from this season though, got the 1400 points in the simulator for the Squirrel Girl cover and that was already pretty hard, I'm only getting 30 points vs teams about as strong as mine that are very hard to beat without taking a lot of damage. Will probably lose like 200 points by tomorrow lol.

zulux21

The focus on four and now five star characters is really killing my drive to do anything with the fully covered, non-leveled three stars in my roster.

Daken, Punisher, Sentry, Hulk, Captain Marvel, Mystique, Daredevil, Deadpool, Loki, Psylock, Squirrel Girl, Storm, She-Hulk, Torch & Spidey.

Can any of them compete with the typical *** heavy hitters? (Fist, KK, Cage, Thor, LCap & BP).

a lot of them are select characters. Loki pairs great with Patch and together are amazing at waves. Daken plays well there as well as he has a regen and protects loki while you build up black (I also like fist as you can just use purple to get the black and attack tiles added to massive strike and defense is always great)

punisher used to be good but power creep has knocked him down and he doesn't have much use anymore.

sentry is a joke since the nerf.

hulk is decent if you use him just right.

deadpool has whales.

the rest are mostly only good when boosted.

Dalek

I feel the same way. It's bummed me out that I've barely played at all today. And I know that's going to affect my rewards even more.

Last I checked I was in the top 20 with 2200 points. That's ~1000 from 2 events, ~50 from Beast event, and the rest from Simulator. When I plow through at the end of an event I've been floating within the top 5. There are like 2 guys that are really going all out and have something like 8k at this point, but just about everyone else is people who play once every couple days at best.

Daken is great. I really like Punisher, but he's definitely just not good compared to equivalent characters--BP beats him in literally every way. Hulk has his uses. Daredevil's Purple is surprisingly good, especially if you pair him with patch so you can immediately destroy their strike tiles. Deadpool's Whale ability is probably one of the best in the game, plus being Purple/Black is always useful. Loki is amazing with Patch. Psylocke is pretty solid, Bewilder sucks but her Red and Black are decent with little downside. Squirrel Girl is the biggest pain in the ass next to KK. Storm was a lot more useful when you could use her as a nice battery, but it seems that playstyle has kinda disappeared. Spidey has his uses, he's just weirdly hard to max out despite being one of the oldest 3 stars--like I still don't have max covers after about 2 years but have maxed out countless other 3 star characters.

You also forgot Doom who is pretty useful especially when boosted thanks to having a nice color scheme and decent abilities. GSBW is pretty solid for powering any ability that needs Green. CMag is always a solid choice for most lineups. Scarlet Witch is pretty solid. The Hood can be really useful for certain fights (don't underestimate his blue stealing AP).

4-star DDQ today, Hulkbuster vs Hulk. I have a couple HB covers, none are red. I can't dwindle down that health. Oh well, maybe next time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
LOL, no Hukbaster so no fun. I bet it wouldn't be fun anyway...a juiced up Huk is a pain in the ass.

NineH

My hulkbuster only has 3 red and that is not enough to knock out hulk. If I use it once, he gets angry and gets some greens then I am done for. You probably need 5 red in Hulkbuster to stand a chance.

zulux21

My hulkbuster only has 3 red and that is not enough to knock out hulk. If I use it once, he gets angry and gets some greens then I am done for. You probably need 5 red in Hulkbuster to stand a chance.

nah I am seeing people do it with 2/1/1 builds and what not.

they key would be to just continue to deny red and green from him and then not launch the red until it will finish him.

but with just 3 covers in general it would be a stupid long fight..

I have a single blue cover, I can't even hope to try lol.

Triz

i have 5 hulkbuster covers and he's leveled up as much as I can...but not a single red. so he has no offense lol.

I just tried with my level 90 1/0/2 Hulkbuster and it was a joke. After six or seven minutes of red & green denials he got a lucky cascade and one-shotted me.

Dalek

i have 5 hulkbuster covers and he's leveled up as much as I can...but not a single red. so he has no offense lol.

Yeah without a red, it's impossible. Otherwise your abilities just generate red for him to collect and kill you with.

Spoit

That was waaaaaay easier than the last 2. hulk is kind of terrible by himself, you can easily absorb a good 3-4 of his active abilities. Did it the first try, not even a quarter of my health down

Top Bottom