• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Dalek

Because there are 2 vaults, I realized I'd have to wait 600 days to guarantee getting the legendary/4stars and to me that's way too long to wait. I'll just open them as I go.

zulux21

Because there are 2 vaults, I realized I'd have to wait 600 days to guarantee getting the legendary/4stars and to me that's way too long to wait. I'll just open them as I go.

I open half the tokens as I get them and save the other half... to be fair I will likely burn through the saved tokens if there is a two star I need for anniversary (the main reason I store tokens is so I don't have to keep two stars on my roster but instead just spam some tokens to get the required 2 star at 1 cover :p)

So close to top 5 for the season. Hit 2000 in Simulator without getting attacked from 800-2000. So weird. Shielded and got attacked right away.

I wish Mohawk Storm was a clone of CStorm rather than 1*, Classic Storm seems to be better in every way except arguably her yellow power, her blue is still my favorite power in the game up until now.

zulux21

I wish Mohawk Storm was a clone of CStorm rather than 1*, Classic Storm seems to be better in every way except arguably her yellow power, her blue is still my favorite power in the game up until now.

the funny part was up until mohawk storm came out the 1 star storm was better than cstorm in every way :p

1 star storm used to be green, red, black.

black is the same as it is now.
green used to destroy 2 more tiles than it does now
red was similar to now, but instead of destroying some team up times and dealing some damage and giving no ap... it instead destroyed ALL environment tiles (what team up tiles used to be that were great on some stages and bad on others) and gave you the ap for them but dealt no damage which was way more useful as it was massive board clear.

to be fair it also let 1 star storm and 2 star thor beat pretty much any given team in the game period but still :p

zulux21

Sure, maybe it's just because I'm not a fan of dots.

DOTS + Protection = Very effective in this game :p.

that being said storm's black rarely bothers me when it goes off as I will be playing my slower team of patch+loki + random other character which should have so much protect up by the time she gets her black off that it will only do 1 damage per turn lol.

NineH

oh yeah i was thinking about that earlier today.

you were one of the people I wanted to promote to commander lol.

I am assuming you are

I mean you are active in here, and often score well on things.

the other person I was thinking about was

as he often racks up a ton of points in PVE.

but before I added anyone I wanted another one of the commanders to chime in.

I mean I feel like I am the only moderator for the alliance anymore and thus wanted to promote one of you two or both in case something happened to me. but didn't want to do it without someone else chiming in, but at the same time I have done lots of things without anyone else really chiming in... though those were removing inactive people instead of making someone unkickable >.>

I'm MPQ Scruffy in the alliance and I would like Dalek to be the commander since I would feel bad kicking people out of the alliance if I were commander :) Besides, I was a commander for Gaf-Vengers back in the day when we had to pay for alliance slots. I burned out a bit so I quit our alliance but I think a few weeks later I came back. I already had a taste of commander life so Dalek can have it.

Holding steady in 5th place for the season. I can almost taste that 3rd 10-pack...

I'm sure I'll get bumped out in the next 24 hours, though.

zulux21

upcoming 4 star
Coming early on in October will be our next 4*. Precis of abilities is below:

Red 10 AP - Destroys one chosen basic tile, dealing damage. If 10+ Team-Up AP, instead destroy a chosen row and deal damage.
Yellow 5 AP - Creates a Yellow CD tile. While this is out, Team-Up matches generate AP in the team's strongest color and increase this CD's duration.
Blue 8 AP - Destroys all Red tiles in a 3x3 surrounding the tile, gaining AP and dealing damage. Levels increase the destruction radius and tile types destroyed.

2G2Zasp.png

also next 4 star DDQ is 4 star deadpool

Well, I did it. I fell asleep and let my shields expire. Down to 8th place after losing ~300 pts. I think I'll just stick with that. :(

Two 10-packs, one usable cover. It was a Nick Fury, at least.

Got a handful of 3*s, but they were all covers in powers that I had maxed (and was waiting on another color for that character). ayy lmao

Saved up like 8 tokens to use all at once, got two 3*'s and The Thing(4*). Got Daredevil who I didn't have and She-Hulk's blue, who's now 2/0/2 which kinda sucks since her green is the godlike one. I think I now have 7 different 4*s with only one cover, might as well open this legendary thing to get an eighth one since apparently it's illegal for me to have more than one cover for each 4*.

Watch it be Silver Surfer to ruin my PvE scaling.

Edit: Professor X, who I also didn't have... This is all pretty funny since the one 4* I really want is Jean Grey and I have zero covers for her.

Welcome to MPQ. It's nearly impossible to get any heroes you want but they love just dumping the ones you hate on you--I had Punisher maxed about a year ago and for 6 monthes after that got nothing but Punisher and Hulk covers. It was infuriating.

Yeah I guess all you can do is deal with it. Makes me wish there was some kind of trading mechanic that allowed you to trade covers for other covers, like trade 3 three star covers to get 1 cover(random color) of a 3 star character you want. Maybe that's a dumb idea but It'd be nice if people had a way to farm a specific character they want instead of being forced to hoard every single cover they get until all of their characters are fully covered.

zulux21

Yeah I guess all you can do is deal with it. Makes me wish there was some kind of trading mechanic that allowed you to trade covers for other covers, like trade 3 three star covers to get 1 cover(random color) of a 3 star character you want. Maybe that's a dumb idea but It'd be nice if people had a way to farm a specific character they want instead of being forced to hoard every single cover they get until all of their characters are fully covered.

it would reduce profits for the creators to much.

if they ever introduced a trade in mechanic it would likely be along the lines of
10 standard tokens for 1 heroic
10 heroic for 1 3 star token
10 3 star token for one legendary

maybe even higher. rates than that, and even that would be unlikely. They are never going to make it really easy to get covers you want as they get most of their money from people buying covers with HP or gambling with tokens.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How the fuck did I get 2 Cyclops covers in a row off of my Heroic rewards? I'll take it though, goddamn!

Dalek

X-Force Deadpool vs X-Force Wolverine.
Next!

Oh and I got one useful cover from my year end rewards-a Carnage cover.

TimeKillr

Yeah it's kinda insane.

I wonder what it'll be like when the 4* is like Prof X, who has one active ability and it doesn't do damage? I mean, yeah, you'll go invisible, then you just won't take damage unless it's AoE, but if you're not lucky and don't get any sort of match-5, it'll just take forever.

Dalek

Yeah it's kinda insane.

I wonder what it'll be like when the 4* is like Prof X, who has one active ability and it doesn't do damage? I mean, yeah, you'll go invisible, then you just won't take damage unless it's AoE, but if you're not lucky and don't get any sort of match-5, it'll just take forever.

I have a really decent Professor X. As long as I can get him invisible quick, I should be able to succeed. You just keep racking up Purple to keep yourself hidden and hope for a 5 match.

TimeKillr

I have a really decent Professor X. As long as I can get him invisible quick, I should be able to succeed. You just keep racking up Purple to keep yourself hidden and hope for a 5 match.

Yeah mine's maxed, so I'm sure I'll be able to beat it (it'll most probably be against Magneto!) but it sucks that Invisibility's good use is buffing up special tiles (of which there will be none) and Psychic Convergence will never activate, so you just end up becoming invisible, hoping you can get purple, then praying for a match-5. It'll be just super boring, though.

Dalek

I've decided to take a break from leveling my 3 stars and try to get my 4 stars leveled up as much as I can-the DDQ might work out in my favor one day...

Dalek

Do what I'm doing...build a SECOND Panther!

Although like Dalek I'm less inclined to dump ISO into three stars these days.

I still have lots of 3 stars to level-but I might as well pump ISO into my 4 stars, to have a shot every 5 days at a Legendary token.

Also, I'll leave this right here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJlvIkkCgU4

also:
there's a 30% bonus on all Iso-8 and Hero Points purchases starting at 3:00pm Pacific Time on today, October 5th, and running through October 11th

Dalek

Oh damn, Old Man Logan.

Damn. One 5 star character I'm now dying to get ....

Wolverine_Old_Man_Logan_Finish_The_Fight.jpg

We grabbed MPQ Producer, Joe Fletcher in the hallway today and demanded he answer a few questions about the new 5-Star.

Q: Old Man Logan. Why him? He’s overflowing with awesome because?

A: Well, he’s a very interesting character in his own right, with a very well received comics run behind him and in the midst of a newer run, so he makes sense as a character in general. As well, we were looking for characters that are definite 5* material for our first outing in that arena. You don’t get much more 5* than killing the X-Men (oops) and pretty much all the Hulks (not so oops?)! Plus, Wolverine in general is a much loved character by fans, so having him around at almost all the tiers makes sense there too.

Q: Let’s talk skills. What have we got on-tap? Are the claws coming out?

A: Wolverine develops a system that we started with characters like Vision in that he can change abilities during battles, but Logan takes it to the next level. When a battle starts, two of his abilities are passives: He heals and he puts Strike tiles on the board when allies use abilities. His Black ability will deal some damage and place Strikes as well, but it also makes the team end the turn. As a gameplay feel, he definitely comes across as not having his heart in the fight. He’s helping and can deal some damage, but he’s really just going through the motions. That being said, everything kicks into high gear if you use his Black with enough Yellow AP. Once that happens, Wolverine goes berserk. He ditches the passives (including the heal) and goes for out and out damage.

At that point, his Black switches into a form that deals damage, then consumes friendly special tiles to deal even more damage. With the tiles that are usually on the board after his form switch, he can pack a real punch against even other 5*s, taking a chunk out of the surfboarding Skyrider for example. His Yellow flips from passive healing to active AoE damage, dealing even more for each enemy still standing. His Red also switches to more direct damage, but has a component built in that deals bonus damage if he’s under a certain percentage of health. So he’s extremely dangerous to bring down as an ill timed Red attack can pretty well wipe out any 4* and greatly wound a fellow 5*. If you’re going to be fighting him, you really need to have a way to either keep his AP zeroed or stun the snot out of him. Luckily, unlike Silver Surfer, stuns do work.

Q: How do you see yourself using OML in-game? Do you have any potential party members in mind?

A: Well, Silver Surfer, obviously, since he’s the only other 5*. But that’s more of a power level answer than a team cohesion thing since they share two colors. For 4* cohesiveness, I’ve been running Star-Lord pretty effectively to bring down Logan’s post change AP costs which will pretty quickly end the fight after a few matches. Carnage is also a great choice since Wolverine can heal up the damage that Carnage’s tiles or his Red AoE can dole out. In a 3-person team I’ve been having fun with a rainbow team of OML, Jean Grey, and Iceman. Logan tanks 3 colors which he can do fine with his health and healing. Iceman tanks 2, and Jean tanks just Purple, leaving her in the back for the most part, so that her passive can be around whenever needed. You could swap out Professor X for Jean, but I like her in there for the ability to stop bad cascades in their tracks with her passive.

Q: When is he available? How do we get our hands on Old Man Logan?

A: Right this second. He’s in Legendary packs now.

so having him around at almost all the tiers makes sense there too.
Sure, let's ignore the fact that there are major Marvel characters that aren't in the game at all, let's have 4 Wolverines and 2 Dakens.

Hell, you could've added X-23 instead so we could have some variety.
This a-hole talking up all of his four stars...

Feels like they can't relate at all with the majority of their player base honestly, or they just want to pander to the people that are making them money. Makes sense.

Yea, the game is definitely more money-oriented than it was a year ago, but that's the natural progression of mobile games. In all likelihood they are just using MPQ to fund their next project, but with it being a high-value IP maybe they are just doing whatever makes Marvel money.

zulux21

Yea, the game is definitely more money-oriented than it was a year ago, but that's the natural progression of mobile games. In all likelihood they are just using MPQ to fund their next project, but with it being a high-value IP maybe they are just doing whatever makes Marvel money.

i'm still curious how the console version will be since it's not free to play.

also they could just eventually make marvel puzzle quest two with new mechanics :p

Top Bottom