• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Dalek

i'm still curious how the console version will be since it's not free to play.

also they could just eventually make marvel puzzle quest two with new mechanics :p

zbe.gif

zulux21

...aaaaand the 10,000th post turns out to be the darkest :)

I did not realize I was stealing the 10k post with that :p

at least I didn't go into details about my thoughts of marvel puzzle quest 2.

Marvel puzzle quest 2, with new mechanics
for the first time earn EXP for using your characters (Iso drop rate reduced to compensate for the extra exp)

Character can now get 5 moves and you no longer get random color covers (your characters now have 50 covers required to reach all moves and max level, you unlock moves at cover level 1/15/30/45/50)

Now bring 5 characters into battle, 3 as your main team, and on any turn you may spend your turn swapping out a living character for a bench character.

ect :p

Triz

That 1500 point node in todays pve...god damn I've been wrecked three times now. and thats with a max buffed blade.

That 1500 point node in todays pve...god damn I've been wrecked three times now. and thats with a max buffed blade.

Is that the Colombia VII one with 178 Doom, Rags & 177 Hood? I had to try a couple of times but with LThor, BP & GSBW I cleared it with almost no damage.

I'm sure you are-but if you aren't taking out Hood first that will probably help.

Triz

Silver Surfer is just a damage sponge. I only have one cover and its decent but I rarely use him. Putting him in means he takes almost all the hits.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Silver Surfer is just a damage sponge. I only have one cover and its decent but I rarely use him. Putting him in means he takes almost all the hits.

yup, and your normal matches hit pretty hard. He's been useful.

zulux21

I do wonder how the console version of marvel puzzle quest will be
and if this is the final roster.

I will for sure check it out for $15 though if I can just play through a well balanced story and there is any promise of future updates and what not.

zulux21

Is that Iron Patriot I see?

most likely it sounds like any character up through nov 2014 will be included plus him.

you will also be able to download dlc that add more characters and more stories to play (pricing not said but lady thor is one of them)

it will be interesting how they do this as it would be nice to just sit back and play a complete story from start to finish.

most likely it sounds like any character up through nov 2014 will be included plus him.

you will also be able to download dlc that add more characters and more stories to play (pricing not said but lady thor is one of them)

it will be interesting how they do this as it would be nice to just sit back and play a complete story from start to finish.

I must be off my chems - where are you seeing him?

TimeKillr

Ugh, PvP is weird sometimes.

I'm at 944 points in the Deadpool event. All the enemies I'm matched with are either teams with maxed Hulkbuster + Prof X (or Jean Grey or something) for 30 points or teams of 166s for like 4 points.

I guess I have to shield.

Dalek

Totally_Awesome_Hulk_Art.jpg

Hi all - here's a quick bit of exciting news we wanted to share with you:

D3 Go! and Marvel Entertainment announced today that Marvel Puzzle Quest will be the first Marvel video game to feature the Totally Awesome Hulk, the recently revealed all-new version of the famous green goliath: Korean-American teenage genius Amadeus Cho!

Players will be able to test his powers in the game later this fall, paving the way for the December release of THE TOTALLY AWESOME HULK #1 by the creative team of writer Greg Pak and artist Frank Cho.

Information on the Galactus Event:

What we know:
Event starts on October 8th
Alliance locked event (the crew you start with is the crew you need to end with)
Various nodes fighting villains in the game (No Galactus specific NPC henchmen)
2 runs of the event
-1st run offers 4* Cyclops prize
-2nd run offers 4* Red Hulk prize
There will be personal progression rewards and alliance progression rewards

What we don't know:
Will there be essentials? Yes.
If yes, which characters will be needed for the essentials? Human Torch (Classic), Iron Fist, Jean Grey, Kamala Khan, Black Widow (Any), Captain Marvel (Any) Spider-Man (Any), Wolverine (Any)
How long is the event? (How long is one run?) 3.5 days
Will there be a change in difficulty between the first run and second run? Not planned, but possible.
Are there time restrictions? (a la 8 hour locking of nodes like Ultron) Yes.
If we fail to stop Galactus, will it be the end for our planet? Yes.

Cyclops_Classic_-_Character_Bio.png

We hunted down Producer Joe Fletcher again for a quick chat about bringing Cyclops to the game and what his abilities may mean for player team choices.

Q: Tell us what Cyclops (Classic) brings to MPQ. How does he differ from Cyclops (Uncanny X-Men)?

A: Cyclops (Classic) not only brings Scott forward into 4* land, but also gives players a different power set to take advantage of when looking for some Cyclops power to add to their roster. A maxed and boosted 3* Cyclops (Uncanny) will be a brute force monster that can deal lots of damage with his Red and Black, but he's not really one for any board control. Occasional accidental cascades with Yellow and maybe Red, sure, but that's about it. Classic on the other hand brings quite a bit of that damage potential across as well as introducing a ton of board control with both his Red and Blue abilities. If you have the choice of a boosted Uncanny or a maxed Classic, it's going to come down to a choice on skill set, not power, which is definitely something we were going for.

Q: What’s the lowdown on Cyclops (Classic)’s skillset and some of the thinking behind the design?

A: As I said before, Cyclops (Classic) specializes in board control while still bringing the ruby pain. His Red and Blue smash the board in specific ways while his Yellow allows his team to score bonus AP on Team-Up matches, which turns that one match that no one wants to make into something to definitely go after.

Red is his staple optic blasts, called Combined Forces. With this ability Scott pops a chosen Basic tile and deals damage. If the team has enough Team-Up AP, he amps up the power a bit. Instead of blasting a single tile, he now destroys the entire row with some additional damage akin to Hawkeye's Arrow Stab. Cyclops gets a bit more power out of his blast than Hawkeye's little arrow though. At max level, we're talking 5394 base and 11851 increased damage for 10 AP. The increased damage comes at the cost of draining 10 Team-Up AP, but that really hurts. And unlike Cyclops (Uncanny), Classic doesn't stun himself on a full blast of power.

Yellow is his utility ability just as it is with Uncanny, with Uncanny Strategist. Here, for a measly 5 Yellow AP, Scott creates a Countdown tile on a Yellow tile. While this CD is on the board, any Team-Up AP matched by the team also adds bonus AP to the team's strongest color, as well as increasing the timer on the CD. So it not only stays out longer, but it also provides direct benefit to matching up Team-Up AP. I've been messing around with using this as a build centerpiece at max level actually. I'm still trying to figure out a more reliable way of working it out, but pushing out one of these and matching up some Team-Up AP (at 3 TU AP and 4 Red) with Cyclops in the top position means that I can really boost the speed to get a powered up Combined Forces out. Captain Marvel's Strategic Command certainly helps there, but she's only a 2* so not usually reliable to be on the team, and keeping Team-Ups stocked for her isn't the easiest.

Lastly, his Blue is named Called Shot. This one just got a minor tweak to it yesterday morning actually, making it a bit more generally useful when it was more situational before. Called Shot has Cyclops choose a basic tile, then blows up that tile and all Red tiles in a 3x3 grid around it, gaining AP for each tile destroyed. Then it goes ahead and smacks the enemy for some straight out damage too. Originally, it only used the targeted tile for positioning of the grid, but it turned out that it made the ability very situational and nigh useless if the board wasn't soaked in Red tiles. At 8 AP, it was a bit much to use for 2-3 Red AP and a bit of damage. Now it also pops the targeted tile, so it can be used for cascade generation even when it won't be used for Red tiles. Additionally, as it levels, it also starts being able to destroy Strike, Attack, and Protect tiles (and getting the AP for those tiles) so it not only generates some Red AP, depletes the enemy's Red combat tiles, and creates cascade opportunities. Finally, at max level that 3x3 grid expands to a 5x5, making the ability do a great job of being able to clear out a mass of enemy tiles. Carnage's Attack tiles become much more manageable with Cyclops around.

Q: All right, give us the insider scoop on how players can get the best out of Cyclops (Classic). Who’s he good against? Who would you pair him with?

A: I'm torn on him, to be honest. Obviously, it'd be easy to say that 5/3/5 is the way to go. Max damage and board control, duh. Compared to max level Yellow, you lose 1 turn on the CD tile base, 1 AP per TU match, and +1 CD turn on TU match. Worth it if you're going the damage route. Although I almost prefer a 5/4/4 in that situation as the extra turn per match at level 4 of Yellow makes that tile way easier to keep out. That being said, I've been messing around a lot with a 5/5/3 build lately, as I said above. Team-Up tiles are often available as matches since usually you're avoiding them which lets them build up. It's pretty easy to hold a few Yellow AP and use Uncanny Strategist strategically when there are a few TU matches ready to amp up color collection. Whether that's Red with Cyclops in the lead or Purple to let Jean Grey get an AoE blast off, it can seriously speed up play for 5 AP.

Team-wise, if I'm running him in max damage mode, I'm pairing him with more utility characters like Jean or Professor X. Hulkbuster can also speed red generation up, which means that you can decide which ability to go with depending on if you have a lot or a little Red AP. Ant-Man is also a great choice here since his utility will make up for 5/5/3 Cyclops's relative inability to handle special tiles at that point. If you're running the TU AP generation build, bringing along a Ms. Marvel Team-Up can speed up the match pretty easily. Grab 5 Yellow AP, 8 TU AP, make a few other matches to maybe grab some bonus Red or whatever, then throw out Strategic Command once TU tiles have fallen in. 9 more TU tiles means almost inevitable cascades, which means bonus primary AP (and match damage). Once you're used to the flow, it's pretty easy to parley that combo into 1/2 dead opponents and a little clean up time. Definitely looking forward to what players come up with though!

Dalek

My tactic is just to focus him since he's so frail, it's also a good idea to focus on getting only one damaging color first instead of going for several so his passive doesn't keep screwing you over.

Yeah-that's the goal-I guess it's just tough with a Boosted Deadpool as well, since he steps in to take all the heavy hits, allowing Hood to just continue to suck you dry.

mid83

Is this game at all accessible for new players? Also, much much spending is required to get into higher level content eventually? I've always been interested but haven't played much but a few of the beginning missions over the past year or so.

Is this game at all accessible for new players? Also, much much spending is required to get into higher level content eventually? I've always been interested but haven't played much but a few of the beginning missions over the past year or so.
You can play just fine without spending money. That makes it faster and easier, though. I spent $3 once because I needed a roster slot. Once you get through the prologue and start PvE and PvP events, you will start making progress.

You actually make a lot of progress early on, it starts to slow down(very much) when you try to transition from 2* to 3* characters but you won't have to worry about that for at least a month or two.

TimeKillr

Alright, hit 1k in pvp, got the last Carnage cover I needed to get all 3 abilities. Hopefully when he pops up at the legendary token one I'll be able to beat it!

So it looks like we'll be getting Amadeus Cho Hulk soon, too. Lot of Hulks all of a sudden.

I have no idea who Red Hulk or Amadeus Cho Hulk are. Are they recent to the Marvel universe? I've seen the Red Hulk but don't know his backstory.

The **** transition is seriously sapping my patience for this game.

27 of my 41 *** characters are fully covered and I need a total of....49 covers across the remaining 14 to max them. The chances of a *** draw, let alone getting one of the 9% I'm missing is even more absurdly low. It's literally a waiting game for them to show up in the Deadpool daily.

The worst part is that a roster of maxed *** characters won't even help with the transition. It's all about what **** covers you've been lucky enough to pull so you can maybe compete every 5 days, but probably not.

Arg. Hopefully the anniversary event will be fun yield some good stuff.

zulux21

I was KidInsomnia (I think)

I removed anyone that was inactive for 15+ days a few days ago to get ready to the new event, I posted in here multiple times for the people who were going to be removed to comment and the only one that did removed himself from the alliance.

I did indeed remove you, you were at like 24 days without logging in.

edit: I will also note I won't be free to help with the event right away tomorrow, not until tomorrow night.

Triz

Grinding out the week long pve paid off, legendary token gave me another silver surfer cover. Here's to even more fucked scaling.

Now I can fully focus on the new event tomorrow.

Grinding out the week long pve paid off, legendary token gave me another silver surfer cover. Here's to even more fucked scaling.

Should actually help you if you don't level him, amount of covers doesn't fuck scaling up.

Dalek

Very jealous, but you deserve it. That's a hell of a lot of grinding. I should start setting timers in my phone.

Very jealous, but you deserve it. That's a hell of a lot of grinding. I should start setting timers in my phone.

I need something that keeps a constant timer for my shields in my notification bar. I've missed out on too much too many times by letting shields expire. Hell, an entire 10-pack this season because of one slip!

Top Bottom