• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

zulux21

I want to know who the asshole is that came up with this Captain Marvel multi-stage level featuring ninjas.

yeah that was rough....

even better after that wave you get to face a level 395 gorgon lol.

also according to the main MPQ mod
Galactus is different. The "minion" fights against the villains are relatively simple. They're there as minor hazards but relatively easily winnable.
heh they were up to this wave.

Well, I'm 102 pts away from the next progression reward.

And we're one fight away from the next stage.

I guess I can use some heal packs and do an attack :p

I still have 50 or so of them.

are they still regen to 10 like it was switch to a few months back?

I haven't been down that low in a long time lol.

LOL
he is up to making 3 countdown timers that each make 4 cosmic tiles. and getting 4 AP for each cosmic tile

destroying one countdown timer won't be enough to stall past a turn 3 death lol.

Still regen to 10, yeah.

And now when we beat this next stage/round, we get a 4* Cyclops.

Plenty of time, and plenty of time for me to keep getting complete garbage pulls from these tokens. Anniversary, Galactus, Deadpool, doesn't matter, all garbage.

Dalek

Good lord, he's impossible now. If I don't get a 5 star match right off the start i'm a goner.

Still regen to 10, yeah.

And now when we beat this next stage/round, we get a 4* Cyclops.

Plenty of time, and plenty of time for me to keep getting complete garbage pulls from these tokens. Anniversary, Galactus, Deadpool, doesn't matter, all garbage.

I got a Devil Dinosaur and X-Force Deadpool right off the bat, and then garbage ever since.

zulux21

Sadly I'll have to wait until morning to find out. All locked out of the nodes for another 6 hours.

if you don't match at least one of his count down timers on your second turn you lose when he absorbs the cosmic tiles.

if you do match one and don't match at least 2 of the cosmic tiles same deal.

aka you have 3 rounds to kill him, GO.

you might have one more round if you are really lucky and can match two of the count down timers.

There we go, some luck in the tokens. From an Anniversary token earned in PvP, got my first Mr Fantastic.

Haha, a Gorgon with 25000 hit points, AFTER a wave of 6 ninjas with a ton of Up in Smoke tiles around? Gtfo

I used a handy Whales teamup and one-hit him. Not a chance I was going to win that otherwise.

There we go, some luck in the tokens. From an Anniversary token earned in PvP, got my first Mr Fantastic.

I landed my first Carnage token, which was nice. Cyclops, Deadpool, Iceman and Mr Fantastic are the only **** covers I'm missing. I have a lot of one cover ****s, lucky me.

Then I spent 900 HP on a roster spot for Carnage, since so many ** characters are required for PVE now and I didn't want to drop any.

Then I said fuck it and spent 5000 HP & 106,000 ISO on Fist to bring him to 166. Down to 390 HP and 530,000 ISO. I feel super gross for wasting HP on four covers for a single character. I continue to bring shame to my family.

zulux21

I used a handy Whales teamup and one-hit him. Not a chance I was going to win that otherwise.

patch + loki getting me enough protect tiles to stop the attack tile damage.

I had to sacrifice loki to survive the gorgon's red move that he had though.

the ninjas were actually far more of a problem for me as I couldn't get black to save me at all and thus nearly lost patch and loki to the attack tiles and the count down timers as I couldn't stop the damage ><;

I landed my first Carnage token, which was nice. Cyclops, Deadpool, Iceman and Mr Fantastic are the only **** covers I'm missing. I have a lot of one cover ****s, lucky me.

Then I spent 900 HP on a roster spot for Carnage, since so many ** characters are required for PVE now and I didn't want to drop any.

Then I said fuck it and spent 5000 HP & 106,000 ISO on Fist to bring him to 166. Down to 390 HP and 530,000 ISO. I feel super gross for wasting HP on four covers for a single character. I continue to bring shame to my family.

I just stock pile tokens and when I need a 2 star do a mass opening until I find a cover for them lol. I only have my 4 main ones left. Thor, 2star widow, storm, and ares. beyond that when I need a two star I just buy a new slot and find a cover and then sell them at the end to fill the slot with the new character I just got.

as for If, mine is still in the 140s lol. The iso needed to get him from 145 to 166 isn't worth the tiny bit of extra HP and damage he does to me lol.

IF is so worth it. One of my absolute staples.

Dalek

IF is so worth it. One of my absolute staples.

I have him at 3/4/5. Only need one more cover to max him but I know as soon as I buy the cover it will show up in a taco token or something. I won't spend HP on a 3 star any longer-I'll wait it out. You'll eventually get that cover if you wait a bit in DDQ, but the 4 star covers may never show up.

I'd need to put in HP for 3 Purple upgrades. Nah son.

And maybe it was 8. I wasn't paying attention until I started getting rekd by fist tiles.

Okay I think we've reached the point in which my 2* team isn't really supposed to contribute much anymore. I got the absolute ideal start to Galactus(instant 5 match purple which I turned into 9 blue with Mags power) but I still only got him to half health(to be fair I got unlucky). Second try I got demolished in 3 turns.

And of course after I've been shitting on him so much I now get a Devil Dinosaur drop.

Edit: yeah there's actually no point for me to even use boosts on this Galactus fight, I will immediately die unless I get extremely lucky.

WOW

Defeated round 6 Galactus with 2* OBW, 2* Marvel and 2* Mags and it wasn't even close. To be fair I got a lot of great cascades that came out of nowhere but still. I set up for a blue 5 match on my first turn, got enough to use OBW blue on my second turn and it went swimmingly from there on out.

Got a token from the win and it gave me 4* Colossus yellow, I'm ecstatic.

Alright Anniversary token gave me Jean Grey, I might as well retire now, it's not getting any better than this.

In other news I now have 10 4* characters but only one cover on each one, amazing.

zulux21

heh I don't think my lady thor has any chance at all against rags.

a lucky cascade and it is over as I can't deny him red and blue well enough and my moves don't do enough damage.

Dalek

Interesting response from the Devs on this Galactus event, with possibly the most insanely dumb statement I've ever read a game designer make.

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33616&sid=f07b878a65a4099c74110119e5d8668f

Hey all,

Wanted to share a few things about how Galactus works and what we're expecting versus what we're seeing.

To start, it seems like a lot of people are on a basic disconnect here, looking at the boss battle similar to how Ultron ran in terms of how things work. Meaning that Ultron should be going down pretty regularly. He's powerful, but his real power lies in the fact that killing his body doesn't stop him. You need to crush every one of his drones and main bodies to win. So winning rounds is a pretty regular occurrence. Game-wise, what this means is that players won fairly easily against Ultron and took their lumps against the drones. The stopping timer there was health packs based on when the drones finally wore you down. What this also meant is that the higher end Alliances would chew through the entire Event in about 12 hours and let it kinda sit for 3 days.

Galactus is different. The "minion" fights against the villains are relatively simple. They're there as minor hazards but relatively easily winnable. Galactus on the other hand is a massive threat. He's not going to be stopped by gnats. Iron Fist punching him in the toe isn't very painful. So he gets bored and swats them away. In game terms, this means that players are going to be beaten. Winning a round against Galactus is an achievement. You're supposed to lose. Every time you do, you're still chipping away at his life. It's an exercise in damage in aggregate. Over the 3.5 days, hitting him over and over to finally bring down the big bad is somewhat slow, but certainly effective.

Overall, most of the higher end Alliances are in Round 6 or knocking on the door to Round 7. Which is actually slightly faster than we were expecting people to get just based on the math. So everyone's doing pretty darned well in terms of progression. There are some teams rockin' the Winfinite, other teams that are pushing through with some interesting strategies (who woulda thought OBW would be a rock star against Galactus?). Not many Alliances are getting anywhere near full clears. Which is actually intended. You're supposed to lose your Health Packs on Galactus, rather than against the minions like on Ultron. It's also why we changed up the play method for this round too so that it's not just a flip flop between Ultron and minions till you win. There's a set number of times you can hit Galactus before you need to take a break to let minions refresh. That break means that you have plenty of times for Galactus drained Packs to refresh while you can go in and get some Black Vortex in. Or play Simulator (up soon). Or get your Devil Dino on when that starts up. It's a different design than the rush of Ultron where that was pretty much all players did while it was open.

Long story short, you all are doing really well against Galactus. Yes, the gameplay is different. I'm sure most of you aren't used to going into a battle with the idea that you may well lose. But given that you're still pulling out wins with pretty strong regularity, I don't see any reason this wouldn't continue into Rounds 7 and 8, and on to Cyclops awesomeness.

At the outset, going into the boss battle, you're looking at winning like normal. After all, it works elsewhere in the game, and it worked against Ultron. So suddenly getting rocked by Galactus is a shock. Keep at it. If things are really going to go poorly, we'll look at doing refresh timer changes and the like that we can do server-side as a quicker band aid style fix for run 1. After that, we'll figure out what we want to do for difficulty on run 2 (and any other runs that we do in the future, of course).

pTDN3.gif

I think it's okay for the fight to be extremely hard

I don't think it's okay for almost every fight to end within 3 turns because people didn't get the ideal starting pattern. Getting defeated after 10 turns after I've taken a third of his life I can deal with but that is not what's happening. I either win(by some miracle) or lose within seconds, which is just disgusting.

Also thanks dev for not saying anything about the crap anniversary drop rates, really says a lot about how you feel about your player base.

While I don't like the health pack comments, I agree with the idea. Like I said yesterday, it makes sense that he is insanely hard-it makes the wins (well, "made" since I certainly ain't beating him again) all the more special.

bjork

The thread about the Galactus event has me interested in looking at this, even though there's obviously no way I'd be able to start right now and take him out.

Any tips for a new player before I install?

[edit - apparently I had installed this before and have zero memory of having done so. I played a beginning fight against Ultron, then it gave me a token for an Iron Man. I redeemed it, then the prologue missions are greyed out and the only thing I can click on is a Thor symbol. It says to unlock a Hawkeye with 500 of some crystal, but I only have 100. Stuck at the get-go.]

The thread about the Galactus event has me interested in looking at this, even though there's obviously no way I'd be able to start right now and take him out.

Any tips for a new player before I install?

[edit - apparently I had installed this before and have zero memory of having done so. I played a beginning fight against Ultron, then it gave me a token for an Iron Man. I redeemed it, then the prologue missions are greyed out and the only thing I can click on is a Thor symbol. It says to unlock a Hawkeye with 500 of some crystal, but I only have 100. Stuck at the get-go.]
Sounds like you need to update the app. The thing you clicked is for recruiting heroes and opening tokens. Don't do that until you know what is going on so you don't accidentally buy a token.

That's probably the most belittling post I've ever seen by a dev.

Seriously, did don mattrick write that?

I don't think its belittling as much as it is misguided. They made an event that gave a reward everyone wants but basically requires good luck to get. On top of that Galactus just isn't fun, because half the time you die at turn 3. I didn't play the Ultron event but it sounds like they over corrected.

I haven't played much today-out on a family outing.

Yeah, it's Canadian thanksgiving weekend, so i'm out at a cottage for the weekend. Fortunately it has internet.

And my 10-yr-old brother loves MPQ, so we get to talk about it and he is in awe of my roster.

On my last attempt, the app crashed as I entered the fight, wasting the attempt and injuring my heroes. That is the 2nd time this event that has happened.

zulux21

Have you thought about spending money on boosts?

Nope, because I still have plenty of all of the boosts I would want.

I went with 100% match damage up
50% yellow red bonus
and the yellow red ap boost.

it's just not going to be possible I think as rags has to much life and a small mistake means he has even more life due to healing. I can't deny him from every getting red or blue, and I don't remotely care enough to spend HP to get more covers for my lady thor.

zulux21

I honestly can't believe this Galactus event. How insanely stupid to have your entire team wiped out in 2 moves.

see that doesn't bother me nearly as much as the progression rewards being so stingy and supposedly trivial nodes to unlock the next battle no longer being tribal but instead being a level 180 on average battle anymore :/

if they had made it clear from the start that you were likely going to die a lot against him it wouldn't be as bad..

still it shouldn't be so hard that you know looking at the startin gboard if you will even get him to half life. If you can't match two tiles on the current one you are screwed.

ill keep grinding so I can get a cover with you guys, but as soon as we get one cover my interest in continuing the grind will be gone.

Dalek

see that doesn't bother me nearly as much as the progression rewards being so stingy and supposedly trivial nodes to unlock the next battle no longer being tribal but instead being a level 180 on average battle anymore :/

if they had made it clear from the start that you were likely going to die a lot against him it wouldn't be as bad..

still it shouldn't be so hard that you know looking at the startin gboard if you will even get him to half life. If you can't match two tiles on the current one you are screwed.

ill keep grinding so I can get a cover with you guys, but as soon as we get one cover my interest in continuing the grind will be gone.

I feel the same. What's the point? More then anything this reinforces the fact that the developers do not respect my time.

Yeah, it's Canadian thanksgiving weekend, so i'm out at a cottage for the weekend. Fortunately it has internet.

And my 10-yr-old brother loves MPQ, so we get to talk about it and he is in awe of my roster.

I have virtually no internet access over thanksgiving so I appreciate the titanic Canadian lead you are taking!

Even more frustrating than being done in 3 turns is being able to see it coming at the starting board. If I can't immediately set up a nice cascade or 5 match I'm done and my heroes are dead.

Ape

Banned
I can't even imagine working down the what, 40k? health with just mn mag's lackluster CDs for actual damage

I'm only on wave 4, so it's not too bad for me. Hold steals (I think he does, now that I mention it idk if his ability activates) then you do the obw mag combo. Red and yellow for damage/tile clearing.

Dispatch

I was hoping that we'd be closer to the Cyclops cover when I woke up this morning. I'm not disappointed in Gafvengers at all. I'm disappointed in how awful this event has become. It started out decently, but as several have said, I'm just wasting health packs on it, both in the preliminary rounds and in the moronic Galactus fight.

Top Bottom