• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

This game seems determined to prevent me from building **** characters. Got another few CP today and pullled......the new lady Wolverine. I welcome the additional character, but it's yet another unusable **** for me. It's just so hard to get these covers I feel like I'll never level up the few 6-7 covered ones I have.

Malmorian

^ This is exactly my problem right now. I have a decent roster of 4*'s...in the 1-2 cover range which means they are basically useless and take up slots, and furthermore are completely useless for the 4* challenge every week. I mean, you need a decently covered 4* to win a 4*. I have what I think is an excellent, well rounded and maxed 3*s roster, but that barely puts me in the game, and I realistically can only pull a 4* with CP's.

Oh! But I could clear up space by dropping all my 2*'s! Nope. Need those for DD and PvE and nothing else, so I feel that I need to keep them on, plus they are all maxed levels.

Exhibit A: I got the new Hulk cover, and have enough HP to buy the roster spot..but why? So I can have Cho on my team and do nothing? Maaaybe get another of his covers 4 months from now and still be useless? OR I can drop the HP to buy my last missing cover for IF and make him 3/5/5. This game man, which I didn't love it so much.

Opened 16 tokens, including my 10 pack:

3 ****: Green Iceman, Blue IW, Red Thor
4 ***: purple Kamala(great), purple SW(okay), blue BP and Ragnarok(both useless).
3 Moonstones: Moonstone, Moonstone, Moonstone.

I should be happy with my 4* luck but Iceman and Thor are new for me so they're going to be useless for a long time and now I have roster problems again, IW isn't exactly ideal either. Honestly only 2 of the covers I got are actually useful, I'd trade most of my 4* covers for 3* covers.

After a few tough PvPs, I managed to get my 1000 pts for my first Ghost Rider cover. I did get greedy and lost another fight after 1000 pts, though, and combined with a loss and I shielded at 950 pts. Ah well.

Not confident I can make up 2600 pts in the last week for the 10k mark, though. Sucks.

zulux21

^ This is exactly my problem right now. I have a decent roster of 4*'s...in the 1-2 cover range which means they are basically useless and take up slots, and furthermore are completely useless for the 4* challenge every week. I mean, you need a decently covered 4* to win a 4*. I have what I think is an excellent, well rounded and maxed 3*s roster, but that barely puts me in the game, and I realistically can only pull a 4* with CP's.

Oh! But I could clear up space by dropping all my 2*'s! Nope. Need those for DD and PvE and nothing else, so I feel that I need to keep them on, plus they are all maxed levels.

Exhibit A: I got the new Hulk cover, and have enough HP to buy the roster spot..but why? So I can have Cho on my team and do nothing? Maaaybe get another of his covers 4 months from now and still be useless? OR I can drop the HP to buy my last missing cover for IF and make him 3/5/5. This game man, which I didn't love it so much.
3 with 2 covers
7 with 1 cover for me lol

You got it. I now need....24 covers across 7 characters and I'll have a fully covered *** roster, but I have no incentive to chase them because it won't get me closer to getting more **** covers. Frustrating.....

Well, if we're going to start complaining about uncovered 4*s filling up rosters:
q8SZxZ6.jpg
l6cRnRp.jpg
zPckQQU.jpg
CzQ0Ktg.jpg
FfHGWxf.jpg
Marvel_Puzzle_Quest.JPG

Also, this has been asked before, but what's everyone else's 4* situation, and what day does their game say they're on?

Dalek

I wonder if since I have two 5 star covers-will it even make a difference if I level up any of my 4 star characters past 166? I was keeping them there until all my 3 stars were fully leveled-but now at this point, I wonder.

I wonder if since I have two 5 star covers-will it even make a difference if I level up any of my 4 star characters past 166? I was keeping them there until all my 3 stars were fully leveled-but now at this point, I wonder.

The scaling is based on the levels of your top 3 characters, so if you have two 5* characters it's like:

(255+255+166)/3=225.33

VS
If you want to level your 4*s:
(255+255+255)/3=255 (this depends on how much you want to level your 4*s but for simplicity's sake I'm assuming 255)

So in this case it still matters but it's a relatively mild effect.

Might as well level them up to 200

The scaling is based on the levels of your top 3 characters, so if you have two 5* characters it's like:

(255+255+166)/3=225.33

VS
If you want to level your 4*s:
(255+255+255)/3=255 (this depends on how much you want to level your 4*s but for simplicity's sake I'm assuming 255)

So in this case it still matters but it's a relatively mild effect.

That's very interesting, thanks for posting it!

Do we know if the "top 3" scaling is the issue they are going to address?

Malmorian

Day 620

4* Roster is as follows:

XFW Lvl 180 5/2/5
Nick Fury lvl 140 1/2/4
Devil Dino lvl 100 3/1/3 ( such a joke, no idea why I haven't dumped his dumb ass )
Lady Thor lvl 94 3/1/2
IW lvl 94 1/1/2
Red Hulk lvl 74 0/1/1
Sam Wilson lvl 74 1/0/1
Ant Man lvl 70 3/0/2
Elektra lvl 70 1/3/0
Hulkbuster lvl 70 0/2/0
Proff X lvl 70 0/1/1
Carnage lvl 70 0/0/1
Iceman lvl 70 0/1/0
Kingpin lvl 70 0/1/0
Mr Fantastic lvl 70 0/0/1
Thing lvl 70 0/1/0

Dalek

according to http://puzzlespoiler.tumblr.com/ which seems to have a spot on track record, the next 4 star is Miles Morales and there is an upcoming game feature called "Champion". Once you've upgraded a character to "Champion" status " you can freely change the levels of their powers.
You can use duplicate covers to make Champions stronger and earn rewards.”

Also from:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelPuzz...at_do_you_think_the_big_changes_are_that_are/

There are a couple new features coming and it sounds like they want to roll everything out all at once to avoid chaos and letting to people adjust all at once.
Something like a cross-event leaderboard (bigger than seasons, over all events PvE and PvP) or some sort of goal based system is coming to dole out more rewards for playing is coming. Could be like a daily resupply but tied to the amount you play, not just playing once per day.
They will be adjusting CP flow by the above feature and allowing new ways to earn it. Another hint at selling covers for CP and being able to buy 3* and 4* character covers with CP.
They are aware of the issues around legendary tokens and how the randomness affects both actual and perceived notions of player progression. They want to fix this.
They are aware of the issues with scaling that adding a 5* to a L94 roster can cause as well as more general issues with the current power level of 5*s. Expect these to be fixed.
More new stories and new characters, both heroes and villains, new and variants. An All-New Avenger was teased which basically cements Miles Morales as the next 4*.
Don't expect more 3* and most new characters will be 4* but they will still release the one-off 1* and 2* .

Edit:
yeah, from the power description this is totally Miles:

Invisibility/Damage - 8 AP - Creates an Invisibility tile and X [Charspecific] tiles. While Invisibility tile is on the board, this ability becomes: Remove Invisibility tile, deal damage + bonus for each [Charspecific] tile.
Tile gen/AP Gain - 7 AP - Creates X [Charspecific] tiles. PASSIVE Gain Red/Purple AP when matching a [Charspecific] tile
Damage/Stun - 6 AP - Damage and Stun target opponent

Great post, thanks Dalek! Interesting information...sounds like there could be decent changes on the way. I guess I won't be selling any covers for the time being...

Dalek

Great post, thanks Dalek! Interesting information...sounds like there could be decent changes on the way. I guess I won't be selling any covers for the time being...

The goal based system is what I'm most interested in. Future Fight does this-it has 7 goals for each day-do 5 story missions, send reward to your friends, upgrade an item, etc. It would be great if they incorporated this. I play the game a lot, but the whole "shield-hopping" "bad shard" metagame just insures I don't get a lot of high end rewards.

Also it seems a new Venom is on the way-presumably 4 star, so I assume it will be Agent Venom.
Give and Take
(PASSIVE) Venom’s symbiote allows them to stalk their prey and get around their defences, but leaves them vulnerable to fire and sonics. Enemy Protect tiles’ strength is reduced by %NumProtectPercent% and enemy attack tiles strength is increased by %NumAttackPercent%.

Lethal Protector
Venom lets his Twisted sense of sense of justice guide them, brutally lashing out while believing they’re protecting the innocent. Deals %NumDamage damage and creates %NumTile strength %ProtectStrength Yellow enemy Protect Tiles.

Symbiotic Fury
Venom leaps through the battlefield, crashing through obstacles, their human rage fueling their alien power. Deals %NumDamage and destroys a random tile for every enemy Special tile on the board (does not generate AP).
Costs 1AP Less for every enemy Strike, Attack or Protect tile on the board (to a minimum of %MinAP AP.

AND a new Spidey-doesn't sound like Superior Spider-Man though....
Grand Toss Auto
Spotting an incoming attack, Spider-Man grabs a nearby car and hurls a 2 ton fastball at his opponent. Deals %NumDamage to the target enemy and stuns a random enemy for %NumTurns turns.

Spider Sense
(PASSIVE) Peter darts through the shadows, using his foe’s confusion to disappear completely. Enemy Strike tiles add %NumStrikePercent% less damage. While at least one enemy is stunned, Spider-Man is invisible.

Taekwebdo
Spider-Man unleashes a vicious flurry of precision kicks and acrobatic flips, striking his enemy’s weakest points. Stuns the target for %NumStun turns and deals %NumDamage damage, ignoring the effect of any protect tiles.

zulux21

The goal based system is what I'm most interested in. Future Fight does this-it has 7 goals for each day-do 5 story missions, send reward to your friends, upgrade an item, etc. It would be great if they incorporated this. I play the game a lot, but the whole "shield-hopping" "bad shard" metagame just insures I don't get a lot of high end rewards.

Also it seems a new Venom is on the way-presumably 4 star, so I assume it will be Agent Venom.

AND a new Spidey-doesn't sound like Superior Spider-Man though....

im hoping that steam users aren't screwed in sharing rewards if they add more rewards sharing to the game.

So I might get my 10k this season after all. Doing very well in this Thor PvP, and there should be two more after it. I've got about 8500 pts, just passed 1700 in the simulator, leaving a possible 300 pts or so there still to get. From there, I can definitely get a combined 1200 or far more in the next two PvP events, and that should complete my 10k. Close one this time, though.

Dalek

This Hood event is brutal. My opponent always takes down my fully leveled Hood very fast-but his always manages to cling on and sap the hell out of my AP. FRUSTRATING.

I'm sad to say it, but I think I may be done with this game. Haven't played regularly for over a week, and haven't missed it. Looking at the calendar of 3*s that will be in DDQ isn't really inspiring any confidence - there's like 4 that I need over the next month, and that's assuming it's the colors I want.

TimeKillr

As a quick FYI, Magic The Gathering Puzzle Quest is out in Canada on both iOS and Android.

There's already a thread that I sort of necro-bumped but if you're in Canada and want to try it out, please do! I'm eager to hear impressions (even if you don't like it, I want to hear it)

As a quick FYI, Magic The Gathering Puzzle Quest is out in Canada on both iOS and Android.

There's already a thread that I sort of necro-bumped but if you're in Canada and want to try it out, please do! I'm eager to hear impressions (even if you don't like it, I want to hear it)
Any idea when it'll be out on Android in EU?

zulux21

huh.... I think if i hadn't been stupid multiple times I could beat jean gray with a single blue iceman cover o_O
(aka if I had waited 2 turns to just stun again instead of ever punching a snow man it would have been really close)

zulux21

The folks on Touch Arcade really seem to love it, so hey.

I'm anxious to hear impressions from fellow gaffers!

i was already told no character slots which will be enough to get me to give it a good chance.

adventure time puzzle quest is even more goofy with character slots than this game is lol
they double the cost every time until it scales beyond what I could easily get by playing some >.<:

TimeKillr

i was already told no character slots which will be enough to get me to give it a good chance.

adventure time puzzle quest is even more goofy with character slots than this game is lol
they double the cost every time until it scales beyond what I could easily get by playing some >.<:

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah there's absolutely *none* of that.

I dislike it as much as you do :)

Triz

I got Sam Wilson 4* as my daily reward yesterday and inadvertently sold him in a bulk sell off today because I didn't have the gold to recruit him yesterday Feels bad man.

Dalek

Ok I'm shielded in Unholy Outlaw at 912 points. I'm hoping to unshield in 17 minutes, do enough fights to get me to 1000 and then shield again. What are the chances that I get hit again during this-should we take bets? I've been shielded for almost 5 hours now.

EDIT:
I give up. It's just not fair. Anyone who says it's easy to get to 1000 can kiss my ass. I've done every method I've seen online but it doesn't matter. As soon as I'm in the 900 point range I'm fucking gang raped and lose 150 points during one fight. How the hell is this fair??? I'm so depressed....

Spoit

I dunno, I usually find the best luck going to like 800 and letting it fall naturally, and then doing the final climb when all the high point targets are out around 3 hours before the end

I hope I get into a somewhat easier bracket next season or I'm not even gonna bother getting the 10 pack, struggling to get top 200 isn't all that fun. I hate how this game punishes you for doing well, how hard is it to have the game just look at my fucking roster and come to the conclusion that I'm not gonna do well in a bracket vs people with maxed out 4*s?

"Oh you managed to get top 20 with your shit roster? FUCK YOU"

Yeah, I feel like this game works best if you go hard one month, then don't touch it for another month so you're put in a reasonable bracket again. Kinda lame.

I hope I get into a somewhat easier bracket next season or I'm not even gonna bother getting the 10 pack, struggling to get top 200 isn't all that fun. I hate how this game punishes you for doing well, how hard is it to have the game just look at my fucking roster and come to the conclusion that I'm not gonna do well in a bracket vs people with maxed out 4*s?

"Oh you managed to get top 20 with your shit roster? FUCK YOU"

You just hit a lull in the progression, It is quick while you are getting 2 stars to 94 and winning your first 3 stars, but then it slows down again until you get some of the 3 stars usable. Once you have 2 or 3 of them ready to pass your 94s, it will speed up again.

Also, getting that 10 pack is probably the fastest way through it. Just get your points and don't stress about the placement. Or if you really want placement, join the event in the last hour and grind as many points as you can. I recently got a top 50 with 150 points because I joined in the last half hour and got a new bracket.

Malmorian

I hear ya, GR, I've been the same with Heroics, DD and PvE pulls. Honestly at this point my RNG is so bad that it should be in the negatives

Dalek

From the forum:

Hello everyone,

We are aware of an increase in players using an exploit involving Legendary tokens. We're updating Marvel Puzzle Quest to address this issue as quickly as we can.

Be advised that accounts that have engaged in the exploit are easily uncovered. We are flagging accounts that have participated in the exploit and action is being taken (including the removal of game accounts ("Sandboxed") from the general population).

This is an unfortunate situation and we'd like to extend an apology to our loyal players that were adversely affected by this.

Thank you.

D3 Go! & Demiurge

*Note: If your account has been flagged and you have questions regarding the process - please contact Customer Support here: www.d3go.com/mpq-support

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
From the forum:

Uh, yeah, it's really terrible...only solution is to give us some legendaries as well, and kill the bad accts. Let's go for that. It's the only fair way

PLEASE

Top Bottom