• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Won with my 1-4-1 Wolverine, took me 6 or so tries and I had to level him to 135 though, still worth. Had to get off 2 blacks and deny Cyclops of literally everything but it's not the worst fight. If he still had that Thor teamup it would've been awful though.

Oh did they rebalance this fight after the last debacle? I'm still sitting on a lvl 147 3/2/2 xforce and the fight was a complete joke the first go-around.

I didn't even try it as I figured I'd get stomped.

What is the best order to deny? Black>Yellow>Red ?

You might still have trouble since I mostly relied on his black for damage. I denied black > yellow > Red because wolvie has black and yellow powers(and I'm greedy) but obviously priority changes once cyclops is close to a certain power, if he gets anything off you're done. Also try to match teamup if he's about to do his yellow for damage control(probably won't help though).

Everytime he killed me it was with red, so take that as you will, it probably had to do with my greed. I felt like I needed to be greedy though, I wanted to kill him before an inevitable lucky cascade. Also don't get your hopes up, I think I got pretty lucky with cascades.

Beat Cyclops on my first try, it helps that X-Force is one of my top characters, Lv 210 and 2/5/5.

With my legendary token, got a black Totally Awesome Hulk cover. Meh!

This Venom + Carnage fight is unnbearable, I actually can't beat it. It's this shitty monster that generates 2 red a turn so Carnage can spam his red every turn.

Dalek

Beat Cyclops on my first try, it helps that X-Force is one of my top characters, Lv 210 and 2/5/5.

With my legendary token, got a black Totally Awesome Hulk cover. Meh!

It took me 3 tries, I kept getting bad boards. I received a blue Thor cover for my troubles and that makes her fully covered for me- 5/3/5.

I'd be lying though if I said I didn't wish for a 5 star cover instead. My sole Phoenix and OML covers are just kind of useless.

zulux21

Oh did they rebalance this fight after the last debacle? I'm still sitting on a lvl 147 3/2/2 xforce and the fight was a complete joke the first go-around.

I didn't even try it as I figured I'd get stomped.

What is the best order to deny? Black>Yellow>Red ?

you mostly have to get lucky with the right boosts.

the battle is both harder and easier with the team up stuff removed as now he doesn't focus on team up tiles, but at the same time he doesn't have a team up that helps him.

Would it be easier with a leveled 3/4/2 xforce? I have the hp to buy two covers and am sitting on 900k iso so that wouldn't be an issue. But if that is still a long shot I won't bother...

zulux21

Would it be easier with a leveled 3/4/2 xforce? I have the hp to buy two covers and am sitting on 900k iso so that wouldn't be an issue. But if that is still a long shot I won't bother...

did it with a 5/3/1 at level 155 on my second try without much issue (I used +2 ap of all colors, +100% match damage, and +20% damage against xmen)

really though the match just comes down to if the game hates you or not. if you can stop red/black matches (and ideally yellow as that helps make red matches) it's not to hard to win but if he gets red or black you die.

Dalek

I think it would be doable. You just would need boosts and a couple of tries to get a good board. Deny red and yellow.

did it with a 5/3/1 at level 155 on my second try without much issue (I used +2 ap of all colors, +100% match damage, and +20% damage against xmen)

really though the match just comes down to if the game hates you or not. if you can stop red/black matches (and ideally yellow as that helps make red matches) it's not to hard to win but if he gets red or black you die.

I think it would be doable. You just would need boosts and a couple of tries to get a good board. Deny red and yellow.

Thanks very much!

I blew 5000 HP on the two blacks (leaving me with 30 HP left) and at lvl 188, 3/4/2 I managed to get it on the third try with no problem.

The result? My first Ghost Rider cover....which I don't have a slot for. The 78th slot is 1000HP. This game hates me in some serious next level ways.

332 points puts me at #13 in the next venom pvp bracket. I don't even want daken covers.
Still less than 100 players if anyone wants to try to get in. Depends on your mmr probably.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Did ok with the Legendary today. Got an Elektra, which I already had a handful of. I really like her power set so I'm content.

Dalek

I want to find the developer that decided to pair Carnage with these Symbiote goons and kick him right in his balls.

I got the Legendary Progression award in the PVE: a red Thing cover and i'm forgoing grinding for the CP any further in this round as I've already worn them down to the nub and still continue to receive only 20 ISO as a reward-what an insult. Sorry, but Carnage getting fed moves every round sucks. What were the developers thinking?

Thank god that I'm in such an easy bracket that I can get top 10 without even ever beating the Carnage nodes but fuck they're impossible, I take a shitload of damage and there's no amount of healing that can save me so I have to go all in on offense and hope I can kill Carnage before I die but even then my characters are so beat up that Venom or the extremely annoying creeps finish me off. These are the most powerful goons in the entire game, they need a nerf.

Good grief. What a predicament. Any 1 stars you can sell?

he should have a 1 or 2 star to sell.
I have every 3 star, all but like 1 or 2 4 star, all but 1 5 star, a single 1 star, and like 5 2 star and only have slots in the 60s :p

Really, the only 1* you need is juggs

Thanks - Juggs is indeed the only 1* I have. In terms of leveled 2** I have:

Ares/BW/Storm/Wolverine/Thor

Then I've got a bunch of covered, untouched 2*:

Bullseye, Captain Marvel, Daken, Hawkeye, Johnny Storm, Moonstone & Cap.

The thing is, didn't I just see a few of those as required characters in PVE nodes? That's why I'm hesitant to get rid of them. I'm pretty sure even Moonstone is sometimes required.

If I'm wrong, let me know and I'll ditch them all.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This wonderful sale over the holidays was great for the Games Only alliance. We raked in over 50 CP! I got some WHALES, man.

I got rid of my Moonstone and Bullseye to make room.

Yeah, I'd rather miss out on a required node than spend more money for another slot. See you later, Moonstone.

Left the Alliance and uninstalled. I haven't played for over a week. :(

I guess there's a spot open in Gaf-Vengers now!

It was good while it lasted; thanks for contributing as long as you did! I'm getting to the point where I may quit too. 788 days feels like too long to play a mobile game. Add that to the fact that I really haven't played any other mobile games since that's time that could be spent grinding this thing.

Dalek

Waiting on you, bossman

Sorry for the delay-work stuff.

OK you're approved. And looks like information is coming out in the press today about Champion stuff.

http://www.gamecritics.com/brad-gallaway/marvel-puzzle-quest-changes-to-the-game-for-2016

Another recent bit of news was the addition of Command Points. These points are hard to get and they can be turned in for 4-star characters with a chance at getting a rare 5-star. How has this addition been received?

Most players are really happy with the addition of Command Points; it's hard to see a downside in adding a new way to get 4 and 5-star characters. The biggest pain point that we need to address is the random way you earn them as mission rewards, something we're certainly hoping to address this year.

Speaking of Command Points, trading 25 of them in for a character token seems a bit high, considering how tough they are to get for non-hardcore players. Similarly, the cost of using CP to improve a 5-star character's powers is a staggering 720 CP. Doesn't that seem excessive?? Are there any plans to adjust these amounts?

One of the biggest challenges we have with MPQ is providing a great experience to players on their first day, all the way through Day 800, which we hit. Couple this with differing levels of play and vastly different amounts of time invested, and you'll get a really broad experience where not everything you see is intended for every player.

For me, 720 CP is a lot, but we have players chasing that goal. Regarding the cost of a Legendary Token, we do have some interesting news: We'll be launching a new 4* or better token for 20 CP in mid-January, as a cheaper option for the folks making their transition to a 4* team.

Moving on to another topic, we've seen an explosion in the number of 4-star characters during 2015, but very few additions in the 1, 2, and 3-star tiers. Are there any more of these characters coming?

We don't have any plans for new 1-3 star characters, but there's a good reason for this. At each rarity tier, the powers and complexity of characters goes way up, which is why at higher tiers, your characters have much cooler abilities. At some point in each rarity tier, the available powers for each character start to saturate, and new characters aren't as interesting because there's an older character that does almost everything the new character does. At forty 3-star characters, this started coming up more often.

As a result, new 3-star characters were overlooked because they just aren't that different from someone you already have covered. One personal example of this for me is Kamala Khan and Grey Suit Black Widow, who both have purple and green powers with similar effects. As a result, as much as I love Kamala, she doesn't get nearly as much love in my roster as my fully leveled Grey Suit Black Widow.

We continue creating new powers that let our 4 and 5-stars do more varied and interesting things, which makes for a more interesting game as you progress, and means there's more to look forward to as you continue playing.

Also in regards to the lower tiers, are there any plans to add events using them? Roster slots are relatively expensive, and most of the low-rank characters go completely ignored except during the Balance of Power event and a few other select times. It would be nice to have a reason to keep them around, or to give new players without high-powered rosters something to compete in. Any plans there?

This is difficult to keep fun and balanced. All players want richer rewards, but being able to obtain richer rewards with lower rarity characters makes it too easy to advance, and this causes boredom. So that's the challenge, and it's one we've thought about but we don't have a solution that makes MPQ way more fun. If it's not fun, what's the point?

A complaint I've heard often from newer players is that making the jump between star tiers is still too difficult, and that the game is too slanted towards longtime players or those who are able to drop a lot of cash into play. Specifically, 1 and 2-star characters are easy to get, 3-star characters are more common now (especially with the Deadpool Daily) but there seems to be a gap when trying to bridge the gap between 3 and 4-star.

From your perspective, what's the transition path players should be shooting for? Are players expected to hit the 1K mark in PVP as the standard way of growing their 4-star stable? That's a fairly serious task, and maybe a bit too much for some players to commit to?

Great question! This is super interesting to us, and something we're going to spend a lot of effort on in 2016. Fundamentally, we have a lot of players that push really hard when they play, so lowering reward tiers removes the challenge and thrill of play for our most engaged players.

That said, we've made a big push to litter MPQ with obtainable Legendary Tokens to help the average player along the 4-star transition. If you play daily, you'll easily be able to pick up a Legendary Token as the Progression reward in Story events. You'll also pull a few out of the Deadpool Daily Vault. I've personally been able to get an additional cover out of the new Versus SHIELD Simulator reward at 2K points for the last few seasons. Command Points will also help, you'll find it's possible to earn at least one a day.

Finally, we're also launching a huge new feature that will definitely shake up MPQ: Champions. After you have fully leveled a 2-star (or better) character, you can add new covers you get to take the character past their level cap. With each additional cover, you'll also earn juicy rewards, like more Iso-8, Hero Points, Command Points and Legendary Tokens. We think this makes every cover you get interesting again, and the Command Points and Legendary Tokens will also help to speed up your progression.

There's some more info-like this bit:"

At the moment, it seems like Jean Grey and Hulkbuster are on every high-level PVP team, making for a very tough combo to beat, as well as making play at that level quite boring since nearly all the competition is the same. Are there any plans to adjust their powers, or to ‘nerf' them as a way of leveling the playing field? What about nerfing anyone else? On the other hand, what about buffing characters? Beast and Star Lord still seem a bit on the underfed side...

It's been a while since our last round of character balancing. We have a few changes coming to 3-stars early next year, and I'm happy that they're all buffs. We definitely try to encourage more varied play at every tier, and we love seeing players use more characters. A year ago, at the high end, players were running into teams with Wolverine X-Force and Thor Goddess of Thunder, so I think we're succeeding at not letting one team dominate for too long.

Triz

That said, we've made a big push to litter MPQ with obtainable Legendary Tokens to help the average player along the 4-star transition. If you play daily, you'll easily be able to pick up a Legendary Token as the Progression reward in Story events. You'll also pull a few out of the Deadpool Daily Vault. I've personally been able to get an additional cover out of the new Versus SHIELD Simulator reward at 2K points for the last few seasons. Command Points will also help, you'll find it's possible to earn at least one a day.

*Bullshit.

zulux21

Sorry for the delay-work stuff.

OK you're approved. And looks like information is coming out in the press today about Champion stuff.

http://www.gamecritics.com/brad-gallaway/marvel-puzzle-quest-changes-to-the-game-for-2016

There's some more info-like this bit:"

im a little sad i bought a token the other day (but it was to maybe get another xforce to make that one less of a pain)
20cp will help since it sounds like it will just be reduced 5 star odds. though now that I have 2 of the 3 5 stars I am not sure I want reduced odds :p

that being said I wonder how the champion rewards will work, as it might just be worth it to snag a few roster slots and constantly fully cover 2 stars with pointless covers if there is a chance for HP.

edit: it sounds like a character might need to be max level to champion >.<; that is crappy given how much iso that it costs and still 20iso rewards for repeat.

j-wood

Did they update this game to where it looks fine on big phones? I had it awhile back on my Nexus 6 and it just looked like shit and was letterboxed.

zulux21

What are Champion Levels?

* Levels beyond the character's level cap.
* Unlimited ability level respecs.
* Each Champion level gives the player a one time reward.
* Makes the character shiny!

- How do you Champion a character?

* Characters are promoted when they are Max level (13 covers and at level cap).
* Cost Iso-8 to Champion a character.
* Use covers to add levels to a character.
* 50 levels can be added to 2-Star characters.
* 100 levels can be added to 3, 4 and 5-Star characters.

- Why are Champion Levels great?

* Everything continues to work the way they did before (buffs, etc).
* Helps players transition to the next tier.
* Introduce new meta into the high level play of the game.
* Another way to earn Covers, Hero Points, Iso-8, Command Points and Legendary Tokens!

- FUTURE!
* Another Galactus Run.
* Quality of life changes in the pipeline (most notably, event scaling).
* New 4 and 5-Star characters.

it's gonna take a while to get a level 270 3 star but it will be nice to have use for 3 star covers again.

Dalek

im a little sad i bought a token the other day (but it was to maybe get another xforce to make that one less of a pain)
20cp will help since it sounds like it will just be reduced 5 star odds. though now that I have 2 of the 3 5 stars I am not sure I want reduced odds :p

that being said I wonder how the champion rewards will work, as it might just be worth it to snag a few roster slots and constantly fully cover 2 stars with pointless covers if there is a chance for HP.

edit: it sounds like a character might need to be max level to champion >.<; that is crappy given how much iso that it costs and still 20iso rewards for repeat.

Yeah there is a big thread in the community forum demanding that 20 iso rewards need to be done away with.

Oh God-100 levels can be added to 3 stars? I was just now seeing a light at the end of the tunnel for maxing all of them. Oh the humanity!

I wonder when this goes live. I'm sitting on 23 3-star covers.

More info:

Marvel.com: Ok Champion Levels seem just a tad complex. Can we get a tl;dr to start us off?

Joe Fletcher: Champion Levels are actually a relatively simple system, it just sounds complex at the outset. Basically, if you have a 2 stars or better character at max level, you can pay a one-time cost in Iso-8 to make them into a Champion.

Once they&#8217;re Champions, two things happen. First is that you can re-spec their powers for free any time you want. No more paying covers to move their powers around! Second is that you can use any additional covers you gain for that character to level them up. One cover, one level, with no additional Iso-8 cost for each level at that point. So a Champion Iron Fist can go up 3 levels with 3 Iron Fist covers that you gain."

zulux21

Yeah there is a big thread in the community forum demanding that 20 iso rewards need to be done away with.

Oh God-100 levels can be added to 3 stars? I was just now seeing a light at the end of the tunnel for maxing all of them. Oh the humanity!

I wonder when this goes live. I'm sitting on 23 3-star covers.

More info:

that doesn't sound bad especially since they give you rewards with each cover.

depending on reward/cost might goof around with a few more 2 stars, but likely it will just motivate me to play DDQ fully each day for the iso and cover so I can level up my 3 stars to make the covers usable again.

Yeah, I'd rather miss out on a required node than spend more money for another slot. See you later, Moonstone.

It was good while it lasted; thanks for contributing as long as you did! I'm getting to the point where I may quit too. 788 days feels like too long to play a mobile game. Add that to the fact that I really haven't played any other mobile games since that's time that could be spent grinding this thing.

Yeah, I had a great time with the game over the last three (!) Years. Didn't play daily throughout, but I played enough.

Dalek

Looks like 5000 ISO is the fee to "promote" a 2 star for Champion and 7500 for a three star. Looks like I can't sit on these pending covers before they expire!

zulux21

Looks like 5000 ISO is the fee to "promote" a 2 star for Champion and 7500 for a three star. Looks like I can't sit on these pending covers before they expire!

that is better than I thought, I was expecting like 50k for a 2 star, 100k for a 3 star, 200k for a 4 star, 1 mil for a 5 star :p

also in regards to the required 2 star thing.
just don't spend your standards (or if you are going to play every event don't spend your tacos either) until you need a 2 star and then just redeem until you get a single cover.

zulux21

So are they going to update soon or what? My covers are starting to expire :(

typically after the press release like that it is 12-60 hours before they update.
though there is no grantee that with the update the new features will be live right away.

edit: in general I am amazed at the number of people who can't grasp that increasing 3-4-5 by 100 each works on bluring them a lot more as they just see the distance between a normal 3 star and a champ 4 star now lol.

ill likely get near 50-60 extra levels on my 3 stars before I can champ any 4 stars so yeah that will bridge things nicely :p

a look at rewards
63x3Cr9.png

Triz

I couldn't agree more. I play daily and I've never gotten a Legendary token. These guys are insane
I've gotten 1 legendary token for story progression and it required 3 runs through Every node every day. That's not casual play, that's hardcore grinding.

Malmorian

I've gotten 1 legendary token for story progression and it required 3 runs through Every node every day. That's not casual play, that's hardcore grinding.

Exactly. Do they even play their own fucking game? Show me how to "casually" win these tokens while also sleeping, and going to work for 8 hours a day. Trust me, if I could be grabbing one of those tokens every PvE + earning 1-3 CP I would be much less salty over the state of this 3*-4* progression.

Top Bottom