• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

shaowebb

sigh...initial repulsion from seeing an event dedicated to a lame ass is subsiding now. Unlike the all female event this one lets me run Juggs and Ironman too if I want to and its an easy way to harvest recruit tokens and iso to level Venom and Wolverine.

Damn you Black Widow. Why are you the only character who gets a stun move like this? God they had better add Doc Strange or somebody else with a comparable ability later. I play these things to enjoy making a team of my favorite heroes not making a team with cast shoved together simply because "they the most usefuls". Thats why I quit playing Marvel vs Capcom...I didn't give a damn about Devil May Cry or Resident Evil and only wanted a way to enjoy Iron Fist.

*grumble grumble having to use a character who is so blatantly an unbelievable plot device who by all rights should be dead grumble grumble...*

shaowebb

Cap's stun is pretty great because it returns blue AP which you can then use to stun the opponent again.

My cap ONLY has yellow. Its all they ever award me with for some reason. My cover drops are really lopsided...for example Venom is max level devour and after farming prologue only now has level 2 symbiote snare. My drops tend to STILL be just a bunch of Ironman or Juggernauts most of the time even though I've maxed them. Sucks.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
sigh...initial repulsion from seeing an event dedicated to a lame ass is subsiding now. Unlike the all female event this one lets me run Juggs and Ironman too if I want to and its an easy way to harvest recruit tokens and iso to level Venom and Wolverine.

Damn you Black Widow. Why are you the only character who gets a stun move like this? God they had better add Doc Strange or somebody else with a comparable ability later. I play these things to enjoy making a team of my favorite heroes not making a team with cast shoved together simply because "they the most usefuls". Thats why I quit playing Marvel vs Capcom...I didn't give a damn about Devil May Cry or Resident Evil and only wanted a way to enjoy Iron Fist.

*grumble grumble having to use a character who is so blatantly an unbelievable plot device who by all rights should be dead grumble grumble...*

You are so ridiculous. I love that that event exists.

shaowebb

You are so ridiculous. I love that that event exists.

I write, I draw, I animate. I'm nothing if not analytical of creative works. Its reflex because its part of what I do every day. I stand by the character concepts I really enjoy and I absolutely hate those that I can't stand by as a concept. This event, as much as I hate it when I have to whip out emergency Widow, lets me level the former at the expense of using the latter.

It is what it is for me. A useful nuisance that might help me get the sort of team I want out of this game. I just get really worked up about characters that I feel are bad.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I would agree with you if using different characters changed the story/cutscenes at all. Since it doesn't, all that matters are the abilities that the characters have. I don't care which character is which.

No Man's Land event ended at 6:00 AM in my timezone.

I went to sleep at 3:00 AM, still at top20. I wake up and I got the notification that I entered in the top 175. In a 500 people bracket.

The problem of this duels is that, if you have low level characters, even if you work hard, you'll be the target for all the people in the last hours. Even if I was awake at the last hours, I woundn't be able to gain as many points as I losed. But, if you had a 100 black widow and a 85 storm and moonstone, you can climb to the top1, and you won't get attacked.

So, the system has a big rubberbanding that, ironically, don't help the people that play more or try to minimize the difference between characters, the rubberbanding it makes more important to have rare and leveled characters than the amount of time that you spend on the event.

Having a few lucky shots on cards to get a "full *** char", and leveling it up to 141, give you a free way to play in a lot of other events without getting attacked constantly.

I write, I draw, I animate. I'm nothing if not analytical of creative works. Its reflex because its part of what I do every day. I stand by the character concepts I really enjoy and I absolutely hate those that I can't stand by as a concept. This event, as much as I hate it when I have to whip out emergency Widow, lets me level the former at the expense of using the latter.

If you really feel that way, I can't believe you can't appreciate a character that inspires work like this: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=91039

Juggs is one of the best 1-stars and can nearly 1-shot Widow or Storm. Spidey has a much better stun. Besides you're free to fight against original or grey suit if you hate stun that much.

If Justin Wong can win with Iron Fist, I'm sure you can still enjoy playing him. I use Hsien-Ko who's just as bad.

shaowebb

Juggs is one of the best 1-stars and can nearly 1-shot Widow or Storm. Spidey has a much better stun. Besides you're free to fight against original or grey suit if you hate stun that much.

If Justin Wong can win with Iron Fist, I'm sure you can still enjoy playing him. I use Hsien-Ko who's just as bad.
So im suddenly Justin Wong? That guy can win on random select at tourney. You can't tell me fighting teams like Strider may cry, Morridoom, or any general Dormammu or Zero runaway team backed by hidden missile is fun for an Iron Fist player. Notice Justin Wong also STOPPED played Iron Fist really early? He wasn't even backed by Arthur's daggers like I was either.

There's no right or wrong way to have fun. I enjoy collecting and using characters I like. Always have, always will. You can't tell me a game where so much of the fun is supposed to come from collecting and leveling is fun for me if I have to spend my time collecting and leveling a character I am not a fan of. I never really bought into the whole mindset of just playing to win and using just the best. I play to enjoy the characters I'm a fan of and I stick with that. Having to collect covers and spend hours playing to grind levels and get said covers for a character I dont care for isn't really appealing to me.

If I could just get a friggin' Spiderman already...maximum 5 turn stun, ability to turn webtiles into health (needed for my juggs) and spider sense is a passive that creates protect tiles like I wanted Bullseye for. Looks like I'll be playing player vs in the prologue for awhile until I can get into the 2000 ranges.

For PVP, the only bad 1-stars are Yelena and Hawkeye. The only bad 2-stars are Bag-Man and Maybe Cap. Everyone else can win. There is a top tier, but it's not necessary to use them to place well.

RyRy had success with Iron Fist as well. Plenty of Chun players, LLND with Hsien-Ko, plenty of Arthurs as well.

shaowebb

For PVP, the only bad 1-stars are Yelena and Hawkeye. The only bad 2-stars are Bag-Man and Maybe Cap. Everyone else can win. There is a top tier, but it's not necessary to use them to place well.

RyRy had success with Iron Fist as well. Plenty of Chun players, LLND with Hsien-Ko, plenty of Arthurs as well.

Dont even try to tell me Iron Fist is viable. RyRy was mainly using Zero and Iron fist for the 50/50 as an assist.EVERYONE uses him for the assist and thats all. He'd go for corner with Zero and just tag in Ironfist to clean the plate then IMMEDIATELY tag him out via DHC if at all available. Those teams lose to the ones I mentioned and are made better by replacing Iron Fist with most other 50/50 assist setups. Honestly Zero/Wesker/Doom would have been better for him as gunshot would get the high/low off pressure and it gives you the zero bullethell properties once he self buffs and pops out missiles. All 3 are deadly alone or backed by any of the others.

Just because folks have played other cast before doesn't make them usable enough to remain fun for folks. Once I saw that on my team I also had to put Iron Fist second for assist then IMMEDIATELY get him off the screen if he loses the corner or failed to kill someone I just gave up. It wasn't fun enough to try.

Let it go. I have fun doing what I do. If I can't make it work I wont enjoy compromising and settling into characters I dont care about. We all have fun different ways and I have fun by celebrating characters I respect. If I play ones I dont respect then I lose respect for my own self because Im no longer playing to have fun enjoying and collecting characters Im a fan of...I'd just be playing as cheap as possible and I can't respect that. You have fun how you like to and I'll have fun how I like. If the game doesn't let me then I'll just move on. I'd rather not pretend to like characters just to win. I've already compromised enough to level some of the ones I like by doing this.

Dont even try to tell me Iron Fist is viable. RyRy was mainly using Zero and Iron fist for the 50/50 as an assist.EVERYONE uses him for the assist and thats all. He'd go for corner with Zero and just tag in Ironfist to clean the plate then IMMEDIATELY tag him out via DHC if at all available. Those teams lose to the ones I mentioned and are made better by replacing Iron Fist with most other 50/50 assist setups. Honestly Zero/Wesker/Doom would have been better for him as gunshot would get the high/low off pressure and it gives you the zero bullethell properties once he self buffs and pops out missiles. All 3 are deadly alone or backed by any of the others.

Just because folks have played other cast before doesn't make them usable enough to remain fun for folks. Once I saw that on my team I also had to put Iron Fist second for assist then IMMEDIATELY get him off the screen if he loses the corner or failed to kill someone I just gave up. It wasn't fun enough to try. Let it go. I have fun doing what I do. If I can't make it work I wont enjoy compromising and settling into characters I dont care about. We all have fun different ways and I have fun by celebrating characters I respect. If I play ones I dont respect then I lose respect for my own self. You have fun how you like to and I'll have fun how I like. If the game doesn't let me then I'll just move on.

Wait, when did they release Iron Fist?!?!?

WAS THERE AN UPDATE?????

shaowebb

Wait, when did they release Iron Fist?!?!?

WAS THERE AN UPDATE?????

Talking UMVC3. I wish Iron Fist was in this. It was off topic and silly Fighting game community stuff. Doesn't really have much relevance in a Bejeweled game honestly...just a basis to explain why I only play certain characters is all.

Ack.

Seems all my progress has been wiped. I just logged into the game on my iPhone and it started me back at the tutorial battle.

Any idea how to restore my progress or am I boned? I am still logged in to Facebook using my PQ2 account.

shaowebb

Ack.

Seems all my progress has been wiped. I just logged into the game on my iPhone and it started me back at the tutorial battle.

Any idea how to restore my progress or am I boned? I am still logged in to Facebook using my PQ2 account.

Oh god no, thats horrible! Did you spend any money on there?

Gotchaye

Ack.

By all accounts their support is pretty good on this kind of thing. As long as you have a PvP name they should have all your data stored on their end.

Gotchaye

Why we got no Lightning Rounds?

So who has healing abilities in this game? I know Spidey does but is there anyone else?

Well, the Wolverines and Daken heal themselves. As for group healing, you're not going to like the answer...
Original Widow has a blue team heal

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
the group i'm in for widowmaker all has freaking level 80 toons and i'm like lvl 60 just for one of them. yuck.

i rolled a Loki from a normal recruit token. i got like 8 hawkeyes in the meantime that i was training and ended up selling off the one that i had (again). didn't put any iso in him but i guess selling the covers woulda netted me more in the end. oh well.

i still have my venom, but i'm guessing he'll be replaced soon.

shaowebb

Got a 5/3 Venom now who is showing a lot of health. Juggernaut is still doing amazing because of his health and just how fast and great his green ability is to pop tiles on the board. Absolutely ruins things for other Venoms or folks putting attack or defense tiles on the board. Makes Storm's fists a non issue as well. I still sacrifice his health a lot though to cripple teams early by getting rid of their Widows or Dakens so I'm hoping to play through player vs a lot more to get me some Spiderman covers. I've ran Ironman/Juggernaut/Spiderman before and its really fast and annoying so I'd like to give it a try. That or Venom+Spiderman+ Juggernaut

Also I'm currently bringin up a Storm who just got a ton of covers for no reason. My goal is to have about 4-7 in their 20's and pick 3 mains to push through the 40's on up. Ironman and Juggernaut haven't been fed in awhile so I'm still just blazing through lvl 50 battles with level 30-ish characters and one support. Gonna have some options soon though. I'm really close on this. Hope to see a Spidery soon.

Gotchaye

Well, now I have all the green Hulk covers I'll ever need. I'm not complaining, but it's always a little annoying when the skill you intend to leave at 3 covers is the one the game keeps giving you, especially for rarer characters. 3/1/1 now.

Also, why does Hulk have robot pants?

Well, now I have all the green Hulk covers I'll ever need. I'm not complaining, but it's always a little annoying when the skill you intend to leave at 3 covers is the one the game keeps giving you, especially for rarer characters. 3/1/1 now.

It's a Marvel NOW! thing. IIRC, it's so that Banner can have clothes that don't explode anymore and it's like armor for him when he's not Hulk?

Man, I have had a nice little run of Standard Chits: Black Widow Pistol and Hood Twin Pistols! Also a Moonstone, but I didn't need it. Either way, nice change of pace. :)

Classic Widow is so good.

I like Original Widow, it's an amazing character:

- Increases the timers (when you fight against mobs) and heals.
- Has exactly all the oposite color skills than wolverine or thor (that are the most used 2-stars)
- It's the perfect debuffer, and a great partner for Wolverine.

You can gather green and red with wolverine, meanwhile you use purple skill and spionage to gather extra pieces and prevent the opponent to use the skills, stealing their pieces. And you can give Wolv more time against mobs increasing the timers. Then, when you got enought green and red, use the remaining blue to heal, and kill all the enemies in a single turn.

I like Original Widow, it's an amazing character:

- Increases the timers (when you fight against mobs) and heals.
- Has exactly all the oposite color skills than wolverine or thor (that are the most used 2-stars)
- It's the perfect debuffer, and a great partner for Wolverine.

You can gather green and red with wolverine, meanwhile you use purple skill and spionage to gather extra pieces and prevent the opponent to use the skills, stealing their pieces. And you can give Wolv more time against mobs increasing the timers. Then, when you got enought green and red, use the remaining blue to heal, and kill all the enemies in a single turn.

Yeah, that No Man's Land tournament really made me gain appreciation of her. I was going with Modern Storm, Moonstone, and OG Widow. As long as the enemy didn't cascade early, they never got to fire off any of their moves, and I finished battles at full health. She moved into my main rotation as a result.

NineH

What do you think is the best hulk setup? I thought it was 5/5/3 because you want him attacking and the black passive does the opposite of that. Of course, if he does get hit though, he will counter so much, it would be fun to see all those black countdown timers blow up like the fourth of july.

What do you think is the best hulk setup? I thought it was 5/5/3 because you want him attacking and the black passive does the opposite of that. Of course, if he does get hit though, he will counter so much, it would be fun to see all those black countdown timers blow up like the fourth of july.
I think all of his skills are about equal so there's no wrong build. 5/3/5 is common because other characters have stronger reds. 5/5/3 or 5/4/4 I think provide best versatility.

Gotchaye

I think all of his skills are about equal so there's no wrong build. 5/3/5 is common because other characters have stronger reds. 5/5/3 or 5/4/4 I think provide best versatility.

I think this is probably right. I'm not really intending to use the character much so it's not something I've given a whole lot of thought to. I'm leaving the green at level 3 because more levels only add a couple more tiles. At level 3 it destroys 10 tiles minimum, at level 5 it destroys 13, and they scale the same with more green AP. Plus it has base damage. It's not nothing, but unlike either of the Storms' similar abilities it doesn't generate AP so I'm not as big on pumping up the tile count. For comparison, Classic Storm almost doubles the base number of tiles destroyed and does double the scaling on her green between levels 3 and 5, while Modern Storm gets 60% more tiles destroyed (which generate AP).

The scaling on his red improves significantly with level, though, and to the extent that his black ends up working out well at all having more levels in it is a huge deal in terms of extra green matches. If I end up using him at all, Hulk is also going to be my first 3* character at a high level (I can conceivably max him out if he's the 3* prize in next weekend's tournament), so I'd be using him somewhat differently than would people with developed rosters. He'd partner with Wolverine, who already has dibs on green AP.

There is no way I can find a better way to spend my green than Wolverine, so 5 on black, to generate more green, and 3 on green

zulux21

for the two star widows... I am going 5 blue, but i am not sure what the best way to do the rest of her covers are.

what do the black and purple skills get at level 5? I know the purple one costs 2 more and steals 4 instead of 3 (which doesn't seem super worth it) at level 4, but I neglected to check what 5 was on the widows i faced. I also know that the black skill just does some damage when you match with widow at 4... i think it just does more at 5.. is the correct?

for the two star widows... I am going 5 blue, but i am not sure what the best way to do the rest of her covers are.

what do the black and purple skills get at level 5? I know the purple one costs 2 more and steals 4 instead of 3 (which doesn't seem super worth it) at level 4, but I neglected to check what 5 was on the widows i faced. I also know that the black skill just does some damage when you match with widow at 4... i think it just does more at 5.. is the correct?

Yea I wouldn't put more than 3 on Purple.

shaowebb

Nearly got my Venom powercapped and hes around 21 with 1500ish health. He's holding his own surprisingly well as devour builds up during rounds. Not something to depend on given how much it costs, but nice to have regardless. My Wolverine is also progressing nicely. So far I'm starting to get a decent rotating crew I can use as folks heal which is preferrable to just running one crew and getting wiped after a few stiff rounds.

Here's hoping they add Iron Fist soon.

Just beat a match on one of the Hulk sites in 1 turn. They weren't terribly High level, level 45, but still. 1 Turn. Christ.

Aaaaaaannd just got a Purple Spider-man cover. Boss.

zulux21

Just beat a match on one of the Hulk sites in 1 turn. They weren't terribly High level, level 45, but still. 1 Turn. Christ.

Aaaaaaannd just got a Purple Spider-man cover. Boss.

my greatest achievement so far... taking out a team of 85s (one of them rags) before they got a turn lol (my team was a 46 wolverine, a 47 thor, and a 50 captain)

started with boosters, and then the grid spawned into a 5 match of red, which fell into a 5 match of green and a 4 match of red, did some more random matches (due to the first matches) and i used wolverines claws a lot, then just went through thrors moves and they were all dead lol.

Gotchaye

I just stumbled on a black Original Widow from a Heroic Token which got Espionage up to level 4, and starting out in the Widowmaker tournament I noticed that Espionage benefits from Wolverine's strike tiles on every single match. Maybe everyone already knew this, but this means that you basically get double the effect of strike tiles on her matches. And actually she might not even suffer from the usual reduction with cascades; I don't know if Espionage or strike tiles boosting it suffer a percentage reduction in damage when they take place later on in a long cascade.

I think with that finding she graduates to my primary team; time to dump some ISO and get her up to level 77.

NomarTyme

Ugh I fucking rushed a cover delete and deleted a cover that I need.

I just stumbled on a black Original Widow from a Heroic Token which got Espionage up to level 4, and starting out in the Widowmaker tournament I noticed that Espionage benefits from Wolverine's strike tiles on every single match. Maybe everyone already knew this, but this means that you basically get double the effect of strike tiles on her matches. And actually she might not even suffer from the usual reduction with cascades; I don't know if Espionage or strike tiles boosting it suffer a percentage reduction in damage when they take place later on in a long cascade.

I think with that finding she graduates to my primary team; time to dump some ISO and get her up to level 77.
I gonna consider her too.

Top Bottom