• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

NineH

I think all of his skills are about equal so there's no wrong build. 5/3/5 is common because other characters have stronger reds. 5/5/3 or 5/4/4 I think provide best versatility.

I guess I should take team compositions into account and not just evaluate Hulk in a vacuum. 5/3/5 seems good because other characters reds are better and don't hurt your team. Also, all this original widow talk has me considering pumping some levels into her since I also saw how good she was in the widow tourney.

zulux21

these widow tournies have horrible end times.... the first one I could have easily had top 5(I went to bed in first and was just steam rolling over everyone that i saw aside from like every 10th person) but I can't mess up my sleep schedule and thus couldn't stay up to finish what I started, lost 65% of my points in the last 6 hours and ended up just high enough to get a yellow wolverine (which is actually what I wanted most in the tourney so it was fine but still)

this next one ends in the 4 hours window that i work, which is the only time I work in the next 4 days @_@ so I likely won't be able to finish well in that either.

I have to decide how much effort I want to put into it.... it will likely depend on what i decide with my widow... do I want to increase my ap stealing move from 8 costing and 3 of everything but purple to 11 costing and 4 of everything... or do i want to just stick them in the mostly useless level 4/5 espionage skill... at the very least I know i am going either 5/5/3 or 3/5/5 with her... no way i am leaving her with the 4th purple cover and not getting the 5th.

Been playing this for a couple of weeks, I'm really enjoying it.

For those who have been playing for longer, how often to have they released updates with new characters, if they have at all?

Been playing this for a couple of weeks, I'm really enjoying it.

For those who have been playing for longer, how often to have they released updates with new characters, if they have at all?

They don't really add new characters that way, they do it through new events and tournaments. I'd say in the last month we've seen three new characters; Invisible Woman, Punisher, and Hulk. Well, four if you count one very special guest star: [SPOILER REDACTED].

I was on the top 4 in the last WindowMaker event and, in this one, I got into a very difficult bracket, full of levels 50-70 Widows with two 85's as companions. I'm not even sure that I could reach 325 points for the card.

I was playing a little with the rubber-banding on the hulk event, and playing only a few matches every 12 hours put me on top 1500, and with less than 2000 points from first. Also, looking how one difficult event give me 1122 points, played another one, much more easier, that gave me 640 points, and now the difficult one give me 840.

So, if you let other people bound the rubber-banding, playing a lot of matches, to increase the max points on the leaderboard, you can go easily after them, without spending too much time. It's like the "wait for the last hours of duel events" tactics.

I was on the top 4 in the last WindowMaker event and, in this one, I got into a very difficult bracket, full of levels 50-70 Widows with two 85's as companions. I'm not even sure that I could reach 325 points for the card.

I was playing a little with the rubber-banding on the hulk event, and playing only a few matches every 12 hours put me on top 1500, and with less than 2000 points from first. Also, looking how one difficult event give me 1122 points, played another one, much more easier, that gave me 640 points, and now the difficult one give me 840.

So, if you let other people bound the rubber-banding, playing a lot of matches, to increase the max points on the leaderboard, you can go easily after them, without spending too much time. It's like the "wait for the last hours of duel events" tactics.

I did that this set of subevents but have only been able to stay at like 2000 in the overall bracket, which will net me only two Hulk covers. Oh well. ;D

zulux21

god this game hates me sometimes... all 5 of my powered up tokens I have gotten from the hulk event turned into a red captain (someone who I already maxed red with because last hulk event that is all the powered up tokens were becoming as well @_@)

shaowebb

Got a a purple and a black ability fishnets black widow. :[

Sucks because I know some of you here would like her. On the plus side though I got a Doomwars doctor Doom with black ability. If I can land his other ability (think its blue or purple) it will create a TON of black for him. Doubt I'll get a leveled doom but he's definitely a keeper because with both of his abilities its possible to out do even Juggernauts unstoppable crash move which I abuse like mad on folks. So much screen control and cascades on Doom if you can get him going. Also my Venom now interchanges with Widow freely. Surprisingly he has been working really well with Wolverine as his backup. Still need a spidey though to pair with Venom for the web tile shenanigans.

I did that this set of subevents but have only been able to stay at like 2000 in the overall bracket, which will net me only two Hulk covers. Oh well. ;D

I don't even try to reach top-300. It's a ton of effort, and I'll get a level-30 card that it will be of no-use until I got 4 or 5 more cards. I'll aim for top 1500, the last day.

In those subevents, I got 2 Powered Ups and 2 Heroics and I only got a Loki. But, still, Heroic give me now much more chances of uncompleted characters than Powered ups.

zulux21

I don't even try to reach top-300. It's a ton of effort, and I'll get a level-30 card that it will be of no-use until I got 4 or 5 more cards. I'll aim for top 1500, the last day.

In those subevents, I got 2 Powered Ups and 2 Heroics and I only got a Loki. But, still, Heroic give me now much more chances of uncompleted characters than Powered ups.

I am torn about going for a top spot as well, i mean at least the top spots also give you the second best reward as well on top of the top spot so there is that, but the 4 stars are so bad... I would be at a loss if I wanted to sell a 4 star for the meager rewards, or if i would want to waste a slot holding onto a 4 star until they patch them to not make them have absolutely terrible skills @_@

I am torn about going for a top spot as well, i mean at least the top spots also give you the second best reward as well on top of the top spot so there is that, but the 4 stars are so bad... I would be at a loss if I wanted to sell a 4 star for the meager rewards, or if i would want to waste a slot holding onto a 4 star until they patch them to not make them have absolutely terrible skills @_@

The skills are not the problem. The problem is that the character is level 30 until you are able to find another card, probably weeks or months later... only to level it until level ¿40? and wait again until you get another card...

Meanwhile, you can't put that character in a 3-stars and 2-stars team. So, with time, you can build the best character, a level 230 character that don't even need good skills, only matching pieces. But you may need years to gather 13 cards of the same character.

shaowebb

Man, you've been lucky. Probably "fishnet" BW is the best 2-stars support character. Also, I think that you're a fan of BW :p

lgJo40L.jpg

I'm not trying for 300, just 1500, but you're safely in 1500 now, right?

Gotchaye

You can move quite a bit in the rankings on the last set of sub-events. We still have 3 rounds of sub-events to go, counting this one and not counting the last set of story missions. You don't need to worry about jockeying for position until tomorrow's round at the earliest, and what really matters is Saturday's round. Getting in early on Saturday and playing the missions multiple times when they refresh is probably going to get you in to top 1500 by the time the end missions start up, as long as you've been casually participating until then.

I'm intentionally staying in the 2000-3000 range right now to make it easier to place well in the sub-events. Probably tomorrow I'll aim for top 1000 and then try to maintain that on Saturday.

Oh, I finally got something useful from a Powered Up token. One of the four I got this time around was a blue Spider-Man. Also a blue Captain, which was the last cover I needed to max him out.

You can move quite a bit in the rankings on the last set of sub-events. We still have 3 rounds of sub-events to go, counting this one and not counting the last set of story missions. You don't need to worry about jockeying for position until tomorrow's round at the earliest, and what really matters is Saturday's round. Getting in early on Saturday and playing the missions multiple times when they refresh is probably going to get you in to top 1500 by the time the end missions start up, as long as you've been casually participating until then.

I'm intentionally staying in the 2000-3000 range right now to make it easier to place well in the sub-events. Probably tomorrow I'll aim for top 1000 and then try to maintain that on Saturday.

Oh, I finally got something useful from a Powered Up token. One of the four I got this time around was a blue Spider-Man. Also a blue Captain, which was the last cover I needed to max him out.

Out of two Powered Ups, a Heroic, and three Standards I only got one useful thing: Hood, Dormammu's Aid. : /

zulux21

The skills are not the problem. The problem is that the character is level 30 until you are able to find another card, probably weeks or months later... only to level it until level ¿40? and wait again until you get another card...

Meanwhile, you can't put that character in a 3-stars and 2-stars team. So, with time, you can build the best character, a level 230 character that don't even need good skills, only matching pieces. But you may need years to gather 13 cards of the same character.

even then, their match numbers aren't that much more impressive than the 3 stars even at max level... all that time effort and crystals to get a 4 star to max level, and they should be noticeably stronger than a 3 star, but I would take a max level rags against a max level inviso woman or max level wolverine any day.

Gotchaye

To clarify, I didn't mean that sarcastically, I'd really like to know the best ways to go from a ~2000 position to a 1500 in the last day.

Mostly it's just about grinding it out.

Because of some UI bugs, it's apparent that rubber-banding can give you up to 10x the base score for missions. If you're a few thousand points behind the overall leader, you can go look at a sub-event that you haven't actually entered yet and see what it claims a mission will give you, and then when you beat that mission you'll get ten times that value.

While they seem to have addressed overshooting problems, where you actually wanted to be behind going into the final missions, the rubber-banding is still extreme enough that if you play better than people in front of you for a day's worth of missions, you're going to make huge gains.

The two major things to keep in mind are these:

1. Sub-event missions can be played ~5 times for fewer points each time, and these stacks refresh every 8-12 hours.

2. The base points you're getting from missions are multiplied by a factor which is a function of how far you are behind the overall leader (or something like this).

So you maximize your score by playing each mission in a 24h sub-event ~15 times, in sets of 5 about 8 hours apart, starting and ending as late as possible so that score gap between you and the leader is always as high as you can get it.

No one wants to do that, of course, so if you just want to do pretty well you can play the last day's sub-event missions maybe once or twice for the first two sets and save up your grinding for the last set, and you can focus on high point value missions. I maintain at ~2000 at the end of each day by starting the sub-events early, playing them all once, and then coming back every so often to try to get Recruit Token and 500 iso rewards, with a focus on the high point value missions, although the easy ones are valuable for letting Wolverine and Original Widow heal. Usually I'm aiming to finish sub-events in 200-400 place.

Edit: So, for example, right now I'm #2233 with 27364 points, and the top guy has 32324 points. I'm ~5000 behind. I've done the two main Hulk missions and gotten bracketed in the sub-events by playing the easiest mission in each. The Punisher mission in Sudan offers me 2000 points, or 40% of the gap between myself and the leader. The Punisher mission in Romania is worth 1000 points. I'll play the Sudan mission now and report back when the UI updates.

Edit2: That one mission did give me 2000 points and put me at #1231 with 29364 points. I could now play the mission again for 1207 points. The Romania mission is now worth 755 points. So I made enough of a gain that the rubber-banding factor has gone from 10x to 7.55x, and a little math shows that the Sudan mission would have gone down to 1600 points if rubber-banding had stayed constant, so it lost 20% of its base value when I played it. If I were to grind this out a bit more, I could pretty easily be well within the top 1000 in 8 hours when my missions refresh, and then I'd be on exactly the same footing as people who enter the sub-events 8 hours from now with the same score I have then, since all my mission stacks would be back.

Edit3: I swung through and played all the missions once each. Now I'm only about 1200 points behind the overall leader at #318. Even now I still benefit from a bit of rubber-banding, and I could probably grind out another 1000 points or so if I really wanted to. Now, I'd of course lose some of that ground over the next 8 hours as my stacks refreshed, but not anything like all of it.

Mostly it's just about grinding it out.

Because of some UI bugs, it's apparent that rubber-banding can give you up to 10x the base score for missions. If you're a few thousand points behind the overall leader, you can go look at a sub-event that you haven't actually entered yet and see what it claims a mission will give you, and then when you beat that mission you'll get ten times that value.

While they seem to have addressed overshooting problems, where you actually wanted to be behind going into the final missions, the rubber-banding is still extreme enough that if you play better than people in front of you for a day's worth of missions, you're going to make huge gains.

The two major things to keep in mind are these:

1. Sub-event missions can be played ~5 times for fewer points each time, and these stacks refresh every 8-12 hours.

2. The base points you're getting from missions are multiplied by a factor which is a function of how far you are behind the overall leader (or something like this).

So you maximize your score by playing each mission in a 24h sub-event ~15 times, in sets of 5 about 8 hours apart, starting and ending as late as possible so that score gap between you and the leader is always as high as you can get it.

No one wants to do that, of course, so if you just want to do pretty well you can play the last day's sub-event missions maybe once or twice for the first two sets and save up your grinding for the last set, and you can focus on high point value missions. I maintain at ~2000 at the end of each day by starting the sub-events early, playing them all once, and then coming back every so often to try to get Recruit Token and 500 iso rewards, with a focus on the high point value missions, although the easy ones are valuable for letting Wolverine and Original Widow heal. Usually I'm aiming to finish sub-events in 200-400 place.

Edit: So, for example, right now I'm #2233 with 27364 points, and the top guy has 32324 points. I'm ~5000 behind. I've done the two main Hulk missions and gotten bracketed in the sub-events by playing the easiest mission in each. The Punisher mission in Sudan offers me 2000 points, or 40% of the gap between myself and the leader. The Punisher mission in Romania is worth 1000 points. I'll play the Sudan mission now and report back when the UI updates.

Thanks so much! Some of that is what I figured, but I really appreciate the step-by-step.

EDIT: So glad you added the last bit. I always thought I shouldn't get bracketed until as late as possible.

Gotchaye

Thanks so much! Some of that is what I figured, but I really appreciate the step-by-step.

EDIT: So glad you added the last bit. I always thought I shouldn't get bracketed until as late as possible.

As far as I can tell, this doesn't matter at all for the overall Hulk event except insofar as it impacts how many times you can play each mission. This matters only for trying to game sub-event placement. The first few days of the Hulk event I was starting the sub-events really late so that I'd only have to play one set of missions to place well. But now I'm concerned enough with overall score that I'm getting bracketed earlier.

bigf00t

As far as I can tell, this doesn't matter at all for the overall Hulk event except insofar as it impacts how many times you can play each mission. This matters only for trying to game sub-event placement. The first few days of the Hulk event I was starting the sub-events really late so that I'd only have to play one set of missions to place well. But now I'm concerned enough with overall score that I'm getting bracketed earlier.

Really good information, thanks! The way the events work with bracketing and rubberbanding is somewhat counter-intuitive, and the game doesn't tell you anything about how it works behind the scenes. I've been playing for a couple weeks, and until I read your posts, I had no idea how exactly it worked.

shaowebb

This morning event is free. Farmed every stage until I couldn't anymore. They really shoveled Uncommon Hawkeye's at us with both hands on this. So many covers...used em all to power level Wolverine!

One problem with this event though...

...it WONT spawn the last stage for me no matter what. I've beaten all the stages and farmed them till they couldn't be replayed too.

EDIT: Whoa WTF? I just turned it off and on to see if it'd spawn and now ALL My layouts are different. In fact, they are back to what they were last night on this map instead of what I found this morning. This morning I got "problem connecting with shield" error message then when it kicked on I had nothing but farmable uncommon hawkeye riddled level 15 areas. Now its back to this after the reset. The hell? It also just shot my rank from like #300 ish to several thousand below that once it reset. Seems to have left me all my covers, health, and levels though.

shaowebb

Whoa...just had the shield thing happen again with trouble connecting. Suddenly I get my rewards and its for the rank 300 stuff I'd earned during the event. Ton of covers plus played some Sahara and now I got like 1900 to spend in iso. I took Wolverine up from lvl 20 to like level 37 with this whole thing and now he's well on his way to being a 5g 5r 3y like I want. Only need another two covers for it. Also this event powercapped my venom who is doing really well, and got me a daken, doom, and both some more common and uncommon Storm cards.

Ton of shit today. Play while Ice Storm Hercules is goofing up the servers guys. It seems to be loading up low level scenarios to farm sometimes.

zulux21

*crawl up to 900 points in the widow event... take a shower to get ready for work where he is going to miss the last 4 hours of the even but will have like 10 minutes to get some points back... checks his game again... lost 275 points... at 625*

I don't know why i bother sometimes lol.

blackflag

Got to #2 overall so far in the hulk event. I'll drop some overnight then get back up to the top in the morning with another run through of the sub events before they refresh. Already hit 50,000 points this time which I barely missed last event.

Got to #2 overall so far in the hulk event. I'll drop some overnight then get back up to the top in the morning with another run through of the sub events before they refresh. Already hit 50,000 points this time which I barely missed last event.

Obviously they tweaked their numbers so that we get more points this time around.

Anilones

Two days until a free Loki! Only one of three characters I don't have (I think) along with Invisible Woman and Punisher.

Can anyone confirm that there are now a total of 30 characters (I unlocked my 30th character slot this morning too)?

Askani

This shit on turn one is getting a little old. 1/2 hp on a char, tons of gems, and then constant Godlike Power and Thunderclap every round after. I know everyone experiences it. I'm just whining. It's starting to grind my gears because it's every match.

zulux21

another event i finish high and get 2 gamma bombs, another event where the only reward i get from those is captain america @_@

I swear i have had enough captain covers from this event to fully deck out 3 captains @_@

another event i finish high and get 2 gamma bombs, another event where the only reward i get from those is captain america @_@

I swear i have had enough captain covers from this event to fully deck out 3 captains @_@

I aimed for heroics and I got a BagMan and Classic Storm, both maxed weeks ago :(

zulux21

I aimed for heroics and I got a BagMan and Classic Storm, both maxed weeks ago :(

I wonder if bagman would be maxed if I didn't always sell him because I absolutely detest him lol.

my classic storm isn't maxed though.

but yeah all I seem to get right now is captain america (maxed near the start of this event) and every once in a while the two star halkeye (which I sell because I don't like him)

Askani

I'm getting so many Wolvie covers that I'm making a second one spec'd differently. He'll get leveled when I feel like I have ISO to throw away.

I so wish respeccing was in the game.

Top Bottom