• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
How should I level my Captain America? Currently he's 4 yellow, 3 red, 3 blue and I have two reds and a blue in my cache.

Same question about my Original Black Widow. She's currently 4 purple, 3 blue, 2 black and I have two blues in my cache. I assume I should max out her passive black but I'm not sure.

My cap I'm planning for 5 3 5

The protect tiles are more useful than the red ability for diversification sake. Yellow seems less common for use as well

Guess ill see if If I have the game on my iPad and iPhone at the same time if they stay synced to each other

Edit: Actually I might go 5 4 4 on him. The last blue is only to target any tile so it doesn't return more ap after 3.

I never see anyone using Yelena. Payback Mission always seemed like a useful move though.

I've used her once or twice, and it is pretty awesome in the right matchups. The problem is, it seems like all the Dark Avengers are pink/black, and she is the last one I want to use. Bullseye isn't much ahead of her really, but those protect tiles can be super nice in some situations.

Nope, not since they changed Hawkeye. He's still terrible but not as bad as her.

The problem is with her is that her skills cost to much AP. Modern BW better than her because she has the awesome stun. Plus her recon is 3? ap (this is from memory) less than her.

If you're low on space, I suggest sell all the 1* except for modern Storm, Iron Man, and BW.

Yeah, I use the crap out of Modern Widow. Mainly because I CAN'T GET A DAMN BLUE SPIDERMAN COVER EVER. Those matchups where there is one super leveled bad guy and 2 super leveled hammer guys? Widow stunlock on the one guy that does stuff, then storm/loki cascade machine. I would gladly replace Widow with spidey (less effective stunlocks, but the healing makes up for it... maybe)

shaowebb

I've used her once or twice, and it is pretty awesome in the right matchups. The problem is, it seems like all the Dark Avengers are pink/black, and she is the last one I want to use. Bullseye isn't much ahead of her really, but those protect tiles can be super nice in some situations.

Yeah, I use the crap out of Modern Widow. Mainly because I CAN'T GET A DAMN BLUE SPIDERMAN COVER EVER. Those matchups where there is one super leveled bad guy and 2 super leveled hammer guys? Widow stunlock on the one guy that does stuff, then storm/loki cascade machine. I would gladly replace Widow with spidey (less effective stunlocks, but the healing makes up for it... maybe)

Me and my Bullseye know that feel bro. Ive been trying for over a week with 27 hrs logged to get either of those...I aint seen shit.

EDIT: I also got tired of waiting for another Marvel Now Magneto. Polarity shift is awesome, but not if he's stuck at lvl 6. I got 3 covers for Venom so I sold Magneto to go for a run with Venom to see if he can pull off the Spiderman stuff for me. I still got my rare Magneto anyhow.

Me and my Bullseye know that feel bro. Ive been trying for over a week with 27 hrs logged to get either of those...I aint seen shit.

EDIT: I also got tired of waiting for another Marvel Now Magneto. Polarity shift is awesome, but not if he's stuck at lvl 6. I got 3 covers for Venom so I sold Magneto to go for a run with Venom to see if he can pull off the Spiderman stuff for me. I still got my rare Magneto anyhow.

It's one of the reasons I've held on to so many 1 star heroes. I have like 5 different 1 star heroes above level 30, but some of the luck required on the 2-3 star drops to make them useful is nuts.

Can't get a black cover for Og Widow
Only have red for Iron Man M 40
I use Loki all the time (coupled with Modern storm, he's great against HAMMER crews!) but only have 1 of each for him
No blue for spidey
Only Black for Doom
Only Red for Classic Magneto (Marvel Now is pretty good for me at least)

Aside from Iron Man M 40, I've had all of those guys for at least 2 weeks, playing every day, at least an hour I'd guess.

Now I got this Ragnarok cover (Green). Wonder how long until I get his red cover.

Gotchaye

I ended up giving them $20 for roster slots.

It seems like the way for me to go at this point is to put in a solid 90 minutes every so often to get diabolical tokens. I was able to get a guaranteed purple magneto in a round the other day. I'm not really making forward progress anymore, and won't until I can get more Ragnarok and Spider-Man covers.

I don't have a third character anymore. I have an 85 wolverine who does most of the work, and a 53 Thor has replaced modern Storm. If I could get a few Doom covers he'd slot in well. I bring Widow along because why not, but she barely gets to act anymore.

Right now I'm using Wolverine, Thor, and a combination of Ironman M40 and Modern Hawkeye. Got Captain America standing in the sidelines. Hoping I can get alot of Hulk covers and/or Magneto covers, but that would take awhile.

So I have an excess of:

Wolverine - 11 (5R 4Y 2G)
Thor - 4 (2R 2G)
Capt America - 8 (2B 3R 3Y)

Fucking great -_-

Did very little in the last subevent(s) which will probably cost me overall, especially since today's seem a lot harder, at least in the second one. I have the Punisher but there's no way I can beat that third mission. I'm hoping I can maybe unlock that 50k reward cover by 5 PM tomorrow and maybe rack up some points that way. The final twelve hours are just going to be fucking insane. I might have to like set my alarm for 2:30 AM or some shit.

Anyways, at this point the worst case scenario would be two Hulk covers instead of three (I know I said that last time but I really think this one is much better and fairer designed but really who the eff knows.)

Regardless, my Wolverine is like 67 and that's reward in itself.

NomarTyme

The last Piece is hell. I barely survived with Wolverine(dead), Punishers, and Thor.

Also it seems like I have no chance to get close to the top 500 on both events. I did most of the missions close to zero too. :/

Got a yellow Spider-Man from a normal recruit token. Whoooioooooo
I'm jealous.

Did very little in the last subevent(s) which will probably cost me overall, especially since today's seem a lot harder, at least in the second one. I have the Punisher but there's no way I can beat that third mission. I'm hoping I can maybe unlock that 50k reward cover by 5 PM tomorrow and maybe rack up some points that way. The final twelve hours are just going to be fucking insane. I might have to like set my alarm for 2:30 AM or some shit.

Anyways, at this point the worst case scenario would be two Hulk covers instead of three (I know I said that last time but I really think this one is much better and fairer designed but really who the eff knows.)

Regardless, my Wolverine is like 67 and that's reward in itself.
Yeah I'm pretty close to 50K too. Hopefully they can jack up the points in the morning.

Gotchaye

I suspect that there'll be a few high point value missions between the end of these sub-events and the end of The Hulk arc. There's an 8 hour gap where absolutely nothing is going on otherwise. And that'll make sure that a few people hit 50k, since right now first place in the rankings only has 47k. I'm #258 right now, but won't be able to play for the last six hours of these sub-events and will probably lose some ground. Not that X-Force Wolverine is worth anything.

The last Piece is hell. I barely survived with Wolverine(dead), Punishers, and Thor.

Also it seems like I have no chance to get close to the top 500 on both events. I did most of the missions close to zero too. :/

Same here, mostly, although I used Widow and AP boosts instead of Thor. The rubber-banding means that especially right now you're going to have an awfully hard time placing well in sub-events if you're high up in the overall standings. There are two groups of people who are getting lots of extra points in the sub-events - people who didn't play over Christmas and people who haven't played much at all and are just now strategically entering in order to maximize their end-of-event rewards given as little playtime as possible.

hamchan

I know for sure I'll be grinding out the last missions of the hulk event in the last hour just in case of rubber banding with the points.

blackflag

I've been around 250th place overall by the end of each event. Waiting until the last minute to do these last 2 so hopefully I got this. I already got 3 hulk covers. Lucked out and got 2 from the tokens.

hamchan

I think I might be just short of the 50k needed for the Punisher since these final stages seem to only be repeatable twice.

shaowebb

Wow...an all 100 team of Daken, Moonstone and Ragnarok is up in the Hulk event now. Someone live stream that shit if you are gonna make a serious go at it.

NomarTyme

I suspect that there'll be a few high point value missions between the end of these sub-events and the end of The Hulk arc. There's an 8 hour gap where absolutely nothing is going on otherwise. And that'll make sure that a few people hit 50k, since right now first place in the rankings only has 47k. I'm #258 right now, but won't be able to play for the last six hours of these sub-events and will probably lose some ground. Not that X-Force Wolverine is worth anything.

Same here, mostly, although I used Widow and AP boosts instead of Thor. The rubber-banding means that especially right now you're going to have an awfully hard time placing well in sub-events if you're high up in the overall standings. There are two groups of people who are getting lots of extra points in the sub-events - people who didn't play over Christmas and people who haven't played much at all and are just now strategically entering in order to maximize their end-of-event rewards given as little playtime as possible.
I see and that make a lot of of senses. Although I'm a thousand short of 50k.

I think I might be just short of the 50k needed for the Punisher since these final stages seem to only be repeatable twice.
Same here. I cannot gain anymore points. Stuck at 296.... just dropped to #307 :/

Mairu

I think I'm done with this game after the Hulk thing is over unless they decide to be a little more transparent on how the wonky scoring seems to work. Feels like such a waste of time to put time into these when all that seems to matter is the last hour of each event because of the crazy rubber banding. :[

hamchan

I think I'm done with this game after the Hulk thing is over unless they decide to be a little more transparent on how the wonky scoring seems to work. Feels like such a waste of time to put time into these when all that seems to matter is the last hour of each event because of the crazy rubber banding. :[

Yeah I'm pretty annoyed I can't get to 50k after 8 days of this event because of their weird scoring on the last day.

I'm at 700 points for the 50k, and I can't do anything to get them because of the rubber-banding. Every mission give me no points (except the impossible 140l one). I can only hope to go down in the board enought to get points on the last missions again.

Also, I'm in the top-1000 since days ago, so, the last 2 days, I got stupidly low points for each missions, not being able to reach even the top 800 of the events (so, not gamma or even heroic card).

Why make such a big deal out of it? It's only one Punisher cover. You know what's worse? When you get attacked in tournies and lose 30+ points per when you should only be losing 10+ max.

It's also still a relatively new scoring system. They're still tweaking it. Give it some time. This game came out what, 2 months ago? It really isn't that big of a deal.

They're not repeatable at all.

I beat the 100 and the 140 sets with a DA boost and a OH DUH tactic switch to hold onto my red for Wolverine's attack instead just automatically doing Thor's. (My team this whole event has been Thor 65, Wolverine 65-72, and Cap 38.)

I'm just over 1200 but there's 7 hours to go.

BUT it doesn't look like rubber banding is really going to make that much of a difference. I doubt I'll stay under 1500 but I think I'll still get two Hulk covers and stay over (or under, rather) 5000.

Not too shabby, I'd say.

shaowebb

Not sure where I stand and I dont really care. Im just leveling what I can. I want to stick around till I can actually make a team out of the cast I really want to have at high level. I want that Bullseye and so far the one I have is the ONLY ONE i've ever ran into. I still haven't seen a single spiderman cover.

System for getting any cards over 1 star is completely fucked. I like that now the 2 stars are grouped into multiple categories that seperate certain cards to increase the odds of getting what you want, but they need to do something like that for regular ass ISO buyable covers too.

blackflag

Just beat the 240 level jugg/rag/venom and it put me back in the top 500 overall but I still need 325 points to hit 50,000 and I can't get anymore.

WAAHHHAHAHAHAHHA GUYS

I just beat Final Showdown!!! Landed at 1052.

Holy shit.

72 Wolvie
20 Punisher
37 BLACK WIDOW!!!

lofllll

Someone on the main forum recommended the strategy, +3 All, +3 Blue, 20% DA. Holy moly. Got SUPER lucky. Venom was sitting enough Black to Devour but I don't know if the nitwit was waiting for more web tiles or what but OH MY GOD. Focused on Red and Green matches the whole time, stunning whenever I could. Managed to get Frank to take the one Headbutt.

Wow.

WOW.

NineH

WAAHHHAHAHAHAHHA GUYS

I just beat Final Showdown!!! Landed at 1052.

Holy shit.

72 Wolvie
20 Punisher
37 BLACK WIDOW!!!

lofllll

Someone on the main forum recommended the strategy, +3 All, +3 Blue, 20% DA. Holy moly. Got SUPER lucky. Venom was sitting enough Black to Devour but I don't know if the nitwit was waiting for more web tiles or what but OH MY GOD. Focused on Red and Green matches the whole time, stunning whenever I could. Managed to get Frank to take the one Headbutt.

Wow.

WOW.

That sounds so awesome. I am too afraid to try it now as I'm saving my guys for the Avenger tournament since I know luck won't be on my side. Good luck in staying in the 300-1500 placement though, I am disappointed because I was rank 88 this morning and now am 2300ish with nothing but the Final Showdown left which I don't think I'll win. 2 Hulk covers is sweet but 3 would have been better.

Mairu

bKx2Yzt.jpg
so close -_-

I landed around 49.700 points it was enough to land me in the top 300 got a green X-force Wolverine and 3 hulk covers. If i knew the last missions would only give points once i would have farmed the last sub missions more but at the time they gave so low points like 30 or 40 and the top guys had around 5000 points more then me so i decided it was no point and ill grind the last missions.

Anyway how many people do you think got the red Punisher must be less then 300 so i would guess around 250 in each braket.

shaowebb

Ended up with a rare Dark Reign Loki with Trickery (black) as his ability as big reward and 3 Yelena Belova's with her Black ability that puts crit tiles on the board. Also got another Venom which means he's got lvl 4 devour and lvl 1 symbiote snare.

Not too bad. I'll expand my roster for these.

I landed around 49.700 points it was enough to land me in the top 300 got a green X-force Wolverine and 3 hulk covers. If i knew the last missions would only give points once i would have farmed the last sub missions more but at the time they gave so low points like 30 or 40 and the top guys had around 5000 points more then me so i decided it was no point and ill grind the last missions.

Anyway how many people do you think got the red Punisher must be less then 300 so i would guess around 250 in each braket.

No brackets for the main Event, so just 300 total. It looks like the event topped off at around maybe 70k players? I don't know if that's good or not...

FaidSint

New to this game, just learning it. I've got 3 1 stars (iron man, black widow, storm) at around level 20 each. I've been trying to do these events but they are hella hard because most of the teams are really strong.

That is until I realized there is a SKIP button. I've just been skipping teams until like a team with 2 level 6's or something shows up and then playing them. Is that a legit strat? Cheating? Is there a punishment for skipping?

Also: My team keeps getting really low on HP, should I use my health packs? Is it easy to find more? I dont want to spend any real money.

Gotchaye

New to this game, just learning it. I've got 3 1 stars (iron man, black widow, storm) at around level 20 each. I've been trying to do these events but they are hella hard because most of the teams are really strong.

That is until I realized there is a SKIP button. I've just been skipping teams until like a team with 2 level 6's or something shows up and then playing them. Is that a legit strat? Cheating? Is there a punishment for skipping?

Also: My team keeps getting really low on HP, should I use my health packs? Is it easy to find more? I dont want to spend any real money.

Skipping is vital; there's no penalty.

Health packs recharge up to 5 total at a rate of 1 per 36 minutes. If you have more than 5 they don't recharge at all.

Edit: Also, looks like the Hulk event is repeating. People might actually end up with enough Hulk covers to have him be useful. I ended up top 1500 the first time around, although really I have a hard time seeing when I'd use The Hulk (other than when missions require it). I'm much happier with all the Punisher covers being handed out in The Avengers tournaments.

FaidSint

Health packs recharge up to 5 total at a rate of 1 per 36 minutes. If you have more than 5 they don't recharge at all.

Edit: Also, looks like the Hulk event is repeating. People might actually end up with enough Hulk covers to have him be useful. I ended up top 1500 the first time around, although really I have a hard time seeing when I'd use The Hulk (other than when missions require it). I'm much happier with all the Punisher covers being handed out in The Avengers tournaments.

Oh word. So I should use my health packs? I've been storing them (11 of em) for a rainy day.

NomarTyme

Oh word. So I should use my health packs? I've been storing them (11 of em) for a rainy day.

Use them wisely. I save them for tournaments.

lol new Hulk event... same one. My Hulk should be complete when this tournament is over.

I really like the hulk black passive ability.

Gotchaye

I really like the hulk black passive ability.

It's interesting, but it's problematic because (obviously) Hulk has to get hit for it to work. So it's nearly useless when you're defending in PvP, because Hulk has lower target priority than just about anyone else, although Hulk is perhaps a little nice on defense just because he has 10k hp at max level. Offensively, you need Hulk to have higher Red/Green/Black than other characters on your team so that he can get in front. This is tricky before end-game, since he's pretty rare and you'll have a max level Wolverine long before you have a level 60 Hulk. But eventually this is feasible - Hulk out-damages Ragnarok at max level and ties Magneto in Red and GS BW in Black, and has no overlap with Spider-Man at all.

Even so, though, you're still bringing a character for no other reason than to supply green AP while hurting your own team. Edit: He does good black damage, of course, but he doesn't have a use for black AP, so he's still only providing half-coverage of the color.

NomarTyme

It's interesting, but it's problematic because (obviously) Hulk has to get hit for it to work. So it's nearly useless when you're defending in PvP, because Hulk has lower target priority than just about anyone else, although Hulk is perhaps a little nice on defense just because he has 10k hp at max level. Offensively, you need Hulk to have higher Red/Green/Black than other characters on your team so that he can get in front. This is tricky before end-game, since he's pretty rare and you'll have a max level Wolverine long before you have a level 60 Hulk. But eventually this is feasible - Hulk out-damages Ragnarok at max level and ties Magneto in Red and GS BW in Black, and has no overlap with Spider-Man at all.

Even so, though, you're still bringing a character for no other reason than to supply green AP while hurting your own team.
Yeah he is definitely a long term working in progress.

Also They took down the free Hulk cover. I got one before they fixed it!

It's interesting, but it's problematic because (obviously) Hulk has to get hit for it to work. So it's nearly useless when you're defending in PvP, because Hulk has lower target priority than just about anyone else, although Hulk is perhaps a little nice on defense just because he has 10k hp at max level.
They have to hit Hulk eventually. Lvl5 black actually works better when he's the last one to be attacked because it damages his own team.

Hulk is better on D than on offense. That's pretty much the main reason to use the character imo.

Defense is about deterrence, not actually winning. Hulk excels at this.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
didnt get a chance to do the last go around on one of the subevents, so i only ended up top 3000 or something for the prizes and got only recruit tokens :p

i got a green hulk from another subevent, but that was about it. hopefully this time i can do a little better on the repeat.

shaowebb

Really power leveling Venom right now. Sad thing is he now has a fully leveled Devour and only 1 symbiote snare to his name. Dammit...

Also I now have a Yelena Belova and a Storm. Yelena has both abilities and Storm has 2 out of 3 (missing the red). Starting to have some folks to level up for a B-Team now. Venom is looking like he has potential to be my ideal 3rd on my main team if I can ever get more symbiote snare.

Gotchaye

They have to hit Hulk eventually. Lvl5 black actually works better when he's the last one to be attacked because it damages his own team.

Hulk is better on D than on offense. That's pretty much the main reason to use the character imo.

Defense is about deterrence, not actually winning. Hulk excels at this.

I'm not sure he really does, other than by being a mountain of HP. The problem for his passive is that lots of teams, especially by the time they're taking on your last character, can stun at will or can just take a few turns to build up a little more AP to burn him down in a single turn. I think a passive like Daken's is a much better deterrent because it plays a bunch of long animations and also adds real threat, unless they take him out before going after other characters, in which case those characters get more time to use real abilities. In general, having the potential to hurt your dudes and make you use health packs is a much stronger deterrent than having a few thousand more hp on a team.

In other news, I finally have an Original Widow with enough covers (3/5/3 as of now; waiting on two more blacks) to be useful, and she's destroying things in that women-only tournament. Her AP stealing passive means she only needs two purple matches to use Aggressive Recon, and at level 51 (so that she takes priority over Modern Storm for blacks) she's healing the whole team for 732 HP with her blue.

Top Bottom