• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

shaowebb

I'm not sure he really does, other than by being a mountain of HP. The problem for his passive is that lots of teams, especially by the time they're taking on your last character, can stun at will or can just take a few turns to build up a little more AP to burn him down in a single turn. I think a passive like Daken's is a much better deterrent because it plays a bunch of long animations and also adds real threat, unless they take him out before going after other characters, in which case those characters get more time to use real abilities. In general, having the potential to hurt your dudes and make you use health packs is a much stronger deterrent than having a few thousand more hp on a team.

In other news, I finally have an Original Widow with enough covers (3/5/3 as of now; waiting on two more blacks) to be useful, and she's destroying things in that women-only tournament. Her AP stealing passive means she only needs two purple matches to use Aggressive Recon, and at level 51 (so that she takes priority over Modern Storm for blacks) she's healing the whole team for 732 HP with her blue.

Hulks stuff tends to put green on the board. A passive ability like Daken's would be harsh on a Hulk player if the Daken was of a decent level. Attack pluses everywhere and I think those create red tiles when they happen (which everyone tends to have heavy attack characters for). Juggernaut Daken would be a good pairing vs a Hulk.

Anyone have a passive(or other) that heals your team mates? Juggernaut could use one. Maybe an ability for Dr Strange someday?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Really power leveling Venom right now. Sad thing is he now has a fully leveled Devour and only 1 symbiote snare to his name. Dammit...

Also I now have a Yelena Belova and a Storm. Yelena has both abilities and Storm has 2 out of 3 (missing the red). Starting to have some folks to level up for a B-Team now. Venom is looking like he has potential to be my ideal 3rd on my main team if I can ever get more symbiote snare.

Do the prologue. You get tons of him.

I never kept mine since I always found other covers that were better than him

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I never kept mine since I always found other covers that were better than him
Same but now that I'm up to 26 slots I'm starting to keep the Venom covers. I haven't bothered leveling him yet as not to waste ISO if I decide to sell him off. I'll only be losing a few hundred ISO by not selling the covers individually if I do get rid of him again.

I just depleted all of the Nevada sub-event and I'm sitting at 70 points and tied for 1st (although it shows me in 4th). I haven't started the other sub-event yet.

shaowebb

I nearly cleaned out the prologue. I haven't just been playing events, but I think their may be a Venom somewhere if I look again. The thing is he gets some ridiculously good health and I've played some high rank Venoms. If you dont kill him early enough he starts pumping out stuns eventually. Not certain if I'll ever get enough web tokens on the board for him to get his guaranteed instant kill move devour to work, but Im curious if maybe combining him with Black Widow with lvl 5 widows sting might work to set him up for it.

Its something to try at least.

Gotchaye

I nearly cleaned out the prologue. I haven't just been playing events, but I think their may be a Venom somewhere if I look again. The thing is he gets some ridiculously good health and I've played some high rank Venoms. If you dont kill him early enough he starts pumping out stuns eventually. Not certain if I'll ever get enough web tokens on the board for him to get his guaranteed instant kill move devour to work, but Im curious if maybe combining him with Black Widow with lvl 5 widows sting might work to set him up for it.

Its something to try at least.

Keep in mind that AI opponents often exceed the max level cap for covers. AI Venom can have a ton of HP, but your Venom will never go higher than level 40, and I think the cap is 35 if you're avoiding that last point in purple in order to save AP. He maxes out at 2640 HP. That's high for a level 40 character, but that's a very low level cap. A level 61 Thor has 3900 HP, and even Wolverine, who has pretty low health, has 3560 HP at max level (85).

I think the only real use for Venom, once you have a few 2*+ covers, is to try to use Spider-Man's blue to set up his Devour. Venom with level 4 purple and Spider-Man with level 5 blue can lay down web tiles for 4 purple or 2 blue AP. So 8 blue, 8 purple, and 12 black AP is sufficient to instakill any character.

I'm not sure he really does, other than by being a mountain of HP. The problem for his passive is that lots of teams, especially by the time they're taking on your last character, can stun at will or can just take a few turns to build up a little more AP to burn him down in a single turn. I think a passive like Daken's is a much better deterrent because it plays a bunch of long animations and also adds real threat, unless they take him out before going after other characters, in which case those characters get more time to use real abilities. In general, having the potential to hurt your dudes and make you use health packs is a much stronger deterrent than having a few thousand more hp on a team.
You'd rather fight 141 Hulk over a 69 Daken? Okay. 1 bad cascade and Hulk will hit for 3k.

shaowebb

Keep in mind that AI opponents often exceed the max level cap for covers. AI Venom can have a ton of HP, but your Venom will never go higher than level 40, and I think the cap is 35 if you're avoiding that last point in purple in order to save AP. He maxes out at 2640 HP. That's high for a level 40 character, but that's a very low level cap. A level 61 Thor has 3900 HP, and even Wolverine, who has pretty low health, has 3560 HP at max level (85).

I think the only real use for Venom, once you have a few 2*+ covers, is to try to use Spider-Man's blue to set up his Devour. Venom with level 4 purple and Spider-Man with level 5 blue can lay down web tiles for 4 purple or 2 blue AP. So 8 blue, 8 purple, and 12 black AP is sufficient to instakill any character.

So Venom can use Spiderman's webtiles in addition to his own to setup devour?

davepoobond

So Venom can use Spiderman's webtiles in addition to his own to setup devour?

Web tiles are not character specific other than what color they make their tile. Opponents and allies can use them

Same but now that I'm up to 26 slots I'm starting to keep the Venom covers. I haven't bothered leveling him yet as not to waste ISO if I decide to sell him off. I'll only be losing a few hundred ISO by not selling the covers individually if I do get rid of him again.

I just depleted all of the Nevada sub-event and I'm sitting at 70 points and tied for 1st (although it shows me in 4th). I haven't started the other sub-event yet.

Same with me but I only have 22 slots

shaowebb

Web tiles are not character specific other than what color they make their tile. Opponents and allies can use them

Too bad the only other webtile creator I know of is Bagman Spiderman. If there was another Spider character who could make webtiles it'd be pretty fun to setup some sort of ridiculous devour team.

Fuzzy

Too bad the only other webtile creator I know of is Bagman Spiderman. If there was another Spider character who could make webtiles it'd be pretty fun to setup some sort of ridiculous devour team.
Maybe they'll bring in Spider-Woman in the future.

It's cool to see that this game stayed somewhat popular. I played it a lot during the first couple weeks and I've been thinking about getting back in. How much new story content have they added since then? Do they still use the same structure for their PvP tournaments? Part of the reason I quit the first time is because you'd lose so much progress on the ladder if you stopped playing even for an hour.

Eh Hulk is mad easy. Just build up a few skills, stun him, then unload. Doesn't even have a chance for reprisal.
Didn't answer the question. Everyone is easy; it's a matter of Daken being easier than Hulk. And I'm not talking about the lvl 240 PVE Dakens who are still easy. Just the regular 69 Dakens. I find it funny that the strat to beat Hulk is to build up a few skills when Daken can die from just one.

Gotchaye

You'd rather fight 141 Hulk over a 69 Daken? Okay. 1 bad cascade and Hulk will hit for 3k.

Kind of. First off, note that I said that Daken's passive was significantly better than Hulk's for defense, not that Daken is better than Hulk for defense. But, to take that head-on, it depends on the teams. If I have a high-level Spider-Man, or I'm bringing Modern Widow, and someone who can deal good damage with some saved-up AP like Ragnarok or Wolverine, and they have a high-level something-other-than-Hulk, then, yeah, Daken is more of a pain than Hulk.

Sure, if they get a good cascade early on they do lots of damage, but that happens either way. Hulk only brings black damage to typical teams. And if they get tons of AP I'd rather they spend it on Hulk's abilities than on Ragnarok's (red) or Wolverine's (green and saved red) or Thor's (red) or GS Widow's (green), off the top of my head. When Hulk is the only one left he's shut down by Spider-Man and I pick him apart, taking at most three times longer than it takes to kill Daken, and these are pretty fast and thoughtless turns which probably amount to a small fraction of the total match time.

Daken can make turns take twice as long. He makes me choose whether to kill him first and give two damage-dealers more time to act or to take out a higher-HP damage dealer while suffering through extra-long turns with buffed enemies. Daken shits up the board with strike tiles so that my Wolverine or Doom can't lay down as many of their own.

Didn't answer the question. Everyone is easy; it's a matter of Daken being easier than Hulk. And I'm not talking about the lvl 240 PVE Dakens who are still easy. Just the regular 69 Dakens. I find it funny that the strat to beat Hulk is to build up a few skills when Daken can die from just one.

Daken is, maybe not very difficult, but a real pain in the ass, specially because it nullifies completly any wolverine strategy. You can't build your green without filling the board with negative strikes.

Also, is really deadly if mixed with Ragnarok, because Ragnarok create a lot of green tiles. You can get destroyed easily in a match like that.

Hulk, meanwhile, is like a 3* Juggernaut. If you can keep him away from getting green and red, you're safe. The only difference than facing Juggernaut is that you need to save skills until you have enought to defeat him, or you'll build rage pieces (that will create green)

In other news, I finally have an Original Widow with enough covers (3/5/3 as of now; waiting on two more blacks) to be useful, and she's destroying things in that women-only tournament. Her AP stealing passive means she only needs two purple matches to use Aggressive Recon, and at level 51 (so that she takes priority over Modern Storm for blacks) she's healing the whole team for 732 HP with her blue.

Hm. I'm levelling my OG Black Widow 5/5/3. Espionage seemed worthless. : /

Well we're just gonna have to agree to disagree. Juggs is the best 1-star for defense so using him as a comparison doesn't help your argument. Suggesting using m.Widow in high level play is not a good idea either. Wolvie has better strike tiles and healing, he can slugfest Daken if he wants to. No strategy is required, but if he really wants to optimize his plan he can kill Daken in like 1 Adamantium slash. To suggest there's no strat for Wolvie is really exaggerating Daken's capabilities. His cascades are mediocre after the strike tile nerf. He's an annoyance at best.

Gotchaye

Oy. Deliberately aimed for Heroics because Spider-Man is the only Powered Up draw I particularly want. Got two Captain Americas anyway.

Hm. I'm levelling my OG Black Widow 5/5/3. Espionage seemed worthless. : /

The last two levels only add damage, so if you're happy with level 5 Recon I don't think you're losing anything. The main reason I'm aiming for level 5 Espionage is that I wanted to keep Recon at as low of a level as possible. It increases in efficiency only slightly as it levels up, and I prefer a lower price tag to the ability to steal purple too.

Oy. Deliberately aimed for Heroics because Spider-Man is the only Powered Up draw I particularly want. Got two Captain Americas anyway.

The last two levels only add damage, so if you're happy with level 5 Recon I don't think you're losing anything. The main reason I'm aiming for level 5 Espionage is that I wanted to keep Recon at as low of a level as possible. It increases in efficiency only slightly as it levels up, and I prefer a lower price tag to the ability to steal purple too.

Phew!

Thanks for all the grea strategy you've been posting. Very helpful stuff!

davepoobond

These earlier sub events are very skewed towards people who have punisher. Ugh.

For top 200 in the first subevent and got a red wolverine. I got a green before so maybe I'm more lucky than not

I upped my hulk so he's actually useful while buffed.

Dang, I just started this and I barely understand anything, but I assume I will. How many character slots do most of y'all have unlocked, weeks and months later?

Fuzzy

Dang, I just started this and I barely understand anything, but I assume I will. How many character slots do most of y'all have unlocked, weeks and months later?
I started playing when I made a fake Facebook account and posted in this thread on November 9th and now I have 26 slots. All my Hero Points have gone to slots except when I wasted 300 HP on a cover when I accidentally clicked on the wrong page when I was using a recruit token. :(

NomarTyme

I only need one more black cover to complete 3/5/5. I'm using her in the No man allow tournament and I learning about her abilities. Need the last black cover to make her do some damage though.

shaowebb

Wait what the hell? I just killed Bullseye first on a team and his passive ability is STILL ACTIVE now that he is dead. Is this supposed to be a thing?

FaidSint

I'm so nervous. I hit rank 11 in the No Man's Land event. This is the first tourney I've played in since I started. I still have really crappy team but I've been using skips to kind of work some magic and fight weak teams. But my team is now almost dead and out of health packs so I'll wait until 11 pm and then do one more push. I don't need to end up #1 I really would love top 50 though.

Question.. does this mean I am ranked 11 out of every single person playing MPQ? Or am I ranked 11 in my group? I remember someone saying something about a bracket. Not sure what that is.

Either way, wish me luck, and don't attack me! <3

Gotchaye

I'm so nervous. I hit rank 11 in the No Man's Land event. This is the first tourney I've played in since I started. I still have really crappy team but I've been using skips to kind of work some magic and fight weak teams. But my team is now almost dead and out of health packs so I'll wait until 11 pm and then do one more push. I don't need to end up #1 I really would love top 50 though.

Question.. does this mean I am ranked 11 out of every single person playing MPQ? Or am I ranked 11 in my group? I remember someone saying something about a bracket. Not sure what that is.

Either way, wish me luck, and don't attack me! <3

You're generally put into a bracket with a relatively small number of other players based on the time at which you entered an event (by gaining points). This PvP tournament has brackets of 500, for example. So when you win your first match, you get grouped with 499 other people who are winning their first match at around the same time. This means that there's a little bit of a game involved in deciding when to join - obviously you want to enter events such that you end up in a bracket with more casual players.

But then the match-making has to do with a hidden ranking the game keeps for you; you're not just fighting people in your bracket. The game will bring up people who have a similar MMR to you, and they'll be worth an amount of points which depends on your scores in the tournament (or maybe on your rankings in the tournament). You get more points for beating people with more points, and you lose more points if you get beaten by people with fewer points. This biases tournaments towards the last hours, regardless of when you entered - it's really hard to sustain a score >700, but pretty easy to get up to 400. One can game the match-making to some extent by throwing matches in tournaments you're not trying to do well in, by taking a crappy team into a match, retreating, and yielding (skipping) to lock the team in. Then it will show up for other people to attack, and the game will read that as you not having as capable of a roster as it thought.

The PvE events work similarly. The overall Hulk event is unbracketed - that's just every MPQ player, like in a Lightning Round. The sub-events are bracketed into groups of 2000 players. The point value of missions in the event and sub-events seem to be based on something like how many points there are between you and the leader of the overall Hulk event.

davepoobond

Thats not what I mean...I mean he keeps creating MORE. I killed him and then later when I popped some purple it activated his passive still. ?_?

well, that sounds like a bug, unless you didn't actually kill bullseye. he's the purple-lookin dude.

shaowebb

well, that sounds like a bug, unless you didn't actually kill bullseye. he's the purple-lookin dude.

No he's dead. Replayed it and yup same thing. Gonna report this in the feedback. Check the other Bullseye fights and off him. He kept spawning them after dead even if no other protect tiles were still on the board. I thought maybe previous protect tiles maintained the ability on the board but nope it just kept coming no matter what.

davepoobond

No he's dead. Replayed it and yup same thing. Gonna report this in the feedback. Check the other Bullseye fights and off him. He kept spawning them after dead even if no other protect tiles were still on the board. I thought maybe previous protect tiles maintained the ability on the board but nope it just kept coming no matter what.

i would restart your app, also. are you just trying the same match or different ones? i fought bullseye today and didn't have any weird issues

shaowebb

i would restart your app, also. are you just trying the same match or different ones? i fought bullseye today and didn't have any weird issues

Once on the main quest and then again on the greenland event. Both had the issue. Im on PC. I sent the feedback to em on it. Also I gave them the feedback that we need MORE ISO TIERS FOR COVERS.

I dont care if its a 3000 for 2 star and a 10000 for a 3 star covers I'd go for it. Its too hard to get what I need otherwise. Plus I'd really like it if they kept the different packs to buy from like the ones they had like Gamma Pack and the others. That meant even though it was still random you knew your character was more likely to have his cover appear in that particular pack so you kept coming back for it.

I just feel they need to adjust the covers and add more iso tiers. Whats the worst thing that happens? People buy iso? Oh nooooo the game makes more money.

davepoobond

People will stop playing when they max all their covers. I'm not sure if making you grind more is a better trade off for them than making the grind for a longer amount of time.

Depends what they have planned for the game

Also the PC version is pretty new like last couple weeks I think?

shaowebb

People will stop playing when they max all their covers. I'm not sure if making you grind more is a better trade off for them than making the grind for a longer amount of time.

Depends what they have planned for the game

Also the PC version is pretty new like last couple weeks I think?

Yup. How long's it been out on phone?

FaidSint

You're generally put into a bracket with a relatively small number of other players based on the time at which you entered an event (by gaining points). This PvP tournament has brackets of 500, for example. So when you win your first match, you get grouped with 499 other people who are winning their first match at around the same time. This means that there's a little bit of a game involved in deciding when to join - obviously you want to enter events such that you end up in a bracket with more casual players.

But then the match-making has to do with a hidden ranking the game keeps for you; you're not just fighting people in your bracket. The game will bring up people who have a similar MMR to you, and they'll be worth an amount of points which depends on your scores in the tournament (or maybe on your rankings in the tournament). You get more points for beating people with more points, and you lose more points if you get beaten by people with fewer points. This biases tournaments towards the last hours, regardless of when you entered - it's really hard to sustain a score >700, but pretty easy to get up to 400. One can game the match-making to some extent by throwing matches in tournaments you're not trying to do well in, by taking a crappy team into a match, retreating, and yielding (skipping) to lock the team in. Then it will show up for other people to attack, and the game will read that as you not having as capable of a roster as it thought.

The PvE events work similarly. The overall Hulk event is unbracketed - that's just every MPQ player, like in a Lightning Round. The sub-events are bracketed into groups of 2000 players. The point value of missions in the event and sub-events seem to be based on something like how many points there are between you and the leader of the overall Hulk event.

Hugely helpful explanation. Thanks.

shaowebb

Wow...dont let Ragnarok near any fucking green or red. Red and you are pretty much dead from damage. Green and you essentially NEVER get a turn as he cascades huge chunks of the board, builds AP and then is able to do it again.

Nopenopenopenopenope...leaving this match.

Hereafter

Gonna go with Spider-Man and Ragnarok for this tourney.

Too bad I don't have Hulk maxed. I think Hulk/GW/Rag would be crazy. Especially since GW's maxed sniper does 6.6K damage.

Edit: IGN is Frozen. Attack me if you see me, I don't mind! Plus I don't retaliate ever!

NomarTyme

Gonna go with Spider-Man and Ragnarok for this tourney.

Too bad I don't have Hulk maxed. I think Hulk/GW/Rag would be crazy. Especially since GW's maxed sniper does 6.6K damage.

Edit: IGN is Frozen. Attack me if you see me, I don't mind! Plus I don't retaliate ever!

Dude.... I'm jealous.

shaowebb

Where's that guy who hates Black Widow?

Seriously. Shaowebb, post if you're okay.

After that women-only tournament my GS Widow is coming along nicely - 3/2/2. Might actually be useful now for some things. Poor Sue still useless.

Im here. Yup I'm still hating on Black Widow. Im stuck using her, but I'm looking for any character I actually care about to swap her with. She's just such a bond film plot device character in my eyes. The girl with the enormous bright red hair who is not bulletproof goes into battle with no helmet and wearing a body stocking? Yeah thats a headshot and kill. I mean you could Batman plot device her and say the stocking is pretty well armored, but seriously we've seen fishnets Black Widow of old...she was never well thought out IMO. Nothing a proximity mine, gas, or a good sniper couldn't solve.

Sigh...Im playing her too. Still leveling Venom though and I'll level anyone else with a stun to try and swap her too. She's just such a token plot device for me that I just can't get into her at all. Course thats how she plays too..shows up, is frail, should die, never really goes on the front line as a target, suddenly has a plot device that ruins the enemies plans. They did their research well.

EDIT: *sees widowmaker event*

Oh fuck this event. Fuck it right in its redheaded vulnerable plot device filled head. First the all girls teams then this? Thats two Im skipping. Skipped the all girls one because she was all I had save for a lvl 1 storm and Yelena Belova. I wasn't gonna blow iso on that event I was leveling for the hulk event which needed more Juggernaut. I toss Widow except when I absolutely can't power through someone with Ironman, Juggernaut, Wolverine/Venom. Not gonna even try this one.

davepoobond

Im here. Yup I'm still hating on Black Widow. Im stuck using her, but I'm looking for any character I actually care about to swap her with. She's just such a bond film plot device character in my eyes. The girl with the enormous bright red hair who is not bulletproof goes into battle with no helmet and wearing a body stocking? Yeah thats a headshot and kill. I mean you could Batman plot device her and say the stocking is pretty well armored, but seriously we've seen fishnets Black Widow of old...she was never well thought out IMO. Nothing a proximity mine, gas, or a good sniper couldn't solve.

Sigh...Im playing her too. Still leveling Venom though and I'll level anyone else with a stun to try and swap her too. She's just such a token plot device for me that I just can't get into her at all. Course thats how she plays too..shows up, is frail, should die, never really goes on the front line as a target, suddenly has a plot device that ruins the enemies plans. They did their research well.

EDIT: *sees widowmaker event*

Oh fuck this event. Fuck it right in its redheaded vulnerable plot device filled head. First the all girls teams then this? Thats two Im skipping. Skipped the all girls one because she was all I had save for a lvl 1 storm and Yelena Belova. I wasn't gonna blow iso on that event I was leveling for the hulk event which needed more Juggernaut. I toss Widow except when I absolutely can't power through someone with Ironman, Juggernaut, Wolverine/Venom. Not gonna even try this one.

but she has big boobs

also, i have no idea when the phone version came out. i only found out about the game because of this thread and because i loved Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords, i knew i'd love it.

i got a couple of more BW Original covers and a couple moonstones, so i'm upping them a bit so they can actually be useful. no man's land is a good tourney for those two :p

Top Bottom