• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Gotchaye

I've started throwing spare ISO at standard recruit spins. There are characters I could be leveling, but none of them are immediately useful because I don't have enough covers. And then there are other characters that I just don't really care for. So now that I have a Wolverine, Thor, and Original Widow at pretty high levels I'm just trying to collect 3* covers until I get enough that a character is worth leveling up. IM40 is close to maxed out at this point, but I don't like him :(. Hood with a bunch of covers in his AP stealing passive seems like he could be useful for a lot of PvE, but he doesn't even need levels for that.

So the last two hulk sub events only has 4 missions for me. Should there not be five?

Mine are like this too. I think this is what it was the first time they ran the event. The Punisher-required mission in Nevada is just in the main chain rather than being an optional aside - makes him basically required if you want to place well in the overall event.

shaowebb

Beginning to think that Storm Captain America and Wolverine could be damned frustrating for folks. Get Storm to pop off once and she generates a ton of AP. Use her to setup cap's abilities which self feed once they get going. Wolverine for damage. Honestly Wolverine can be swapped for dealers choice of characters. If you got a Ragnarok this could be really fun as Cap could generate the red and Storm feeds cap what he needs while Rags self builds green.

zulux21

I'm getting so many Wolvie covers that I'm making a second one spec'd differently. He'll get leveled when I feel like I have ISO to throw away.

I so wish respeccing was in the game.

I wish that when you added another cover the character value went up... it's depressing to me that my max cover black widow is worth less than the two random 1 skill covers I just sold :p

I wouldn't mind a respecting in the sense that you could delete one level from a skill if you wanted, but forcing you to start over if you messed up fits a f2p mentality a lot better.

I've thought about making another wolvie, but I don't think he would turn out any differently and my current one rarely dies.

It's been a week but my progress was restored. As mentioned, D3 does have excellent customer service-they even tossed in a couple Hero Tokens as a "thank you for your patience" gesture.

What'd I miss? Any game-breaking exploits found yet?

...and it looks like everybody is rolling with masked Widow. Did she get buffed? I have her at 3/2/2 but haven't leveled her at all.

Is she worthwhile now?

hamchan

...and it looks like everybody is rolling with masked Widow. Did she get buffed? I have her at 3/2/2 but haven't leveled her at all.

Is she worthwhile now?

There was a recent Widow event so everyone leveled her up to compete and now everyone has probably realized that she's a really awesome complement to wolverine/thor.

NomarTyme

There was a recent Widow event so everyone leveled her up to compete and now everyone has probably realized that she's a really awesome complement to wolverine/thor.

Yeah if you max out her Black ability she can do some serious damage with Wolverine strength tiles and her blue pretty good if you don't have Spidey to help with the healing. The purple also keep some opponent from using their ability at times.

Also I max out Punishers Red ability... Retribution comes in handy against Jugs(over 19000 hp) and Rags (over 14000).

Anilones

Just another 2097 points needed for Punisher and no more levels to play on the current circuit. Hopefully the final levels which appear will push me over...

Edit:
Got it, now if they would repeat this Hulk event again (again) I can play properly and not be excluded from certain levels.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I didnt do a whole lot of matches for this time around unfortunately. I'm going to end up with 3 original black widow covers instead. I almost actually prefer it to another green hulk anyway.

Probably could have gotten top 20 in the last sub event if I did another grind session 12 hours before

zulux21

Yeah if you max out her Black ability she can do some serious damage with Wolverine strength tiles and her blue pretty good if you don't have Spidey to help with the healing. The purple also keep some opponent from using their ability at times.

Also I max out Punishers Red ability... Retribution comes in handy against Jugs(over 19000 hp) and Rags (over 14000).

so... her black ability basically doubles the strength tiles for the colors she matches? (aka added damage to the tile match, and then added damage for the espionage damage?)

Gotchaye

so... her black ability basically doubles the strength tiles for the colors she matches? (aka added damage to the tile match, and then added damage for the espionage damage?)

Yes. She's an incredible glass cannon in the Hulk event with a buffed Wolverine. Each strike tile is worth something like 150 bonus damage, so with three of them she's getting almost 1000 bonus damage on blue/black/purple matches. She's very strong without a buffed Wolverine too, but her fragility is a problem since she's often going to end up taking hits if your team is set up to allow her to use her passive.

Today is likely to be good for me. Got a Loki (meh) this morning. I'm positioned well for an X-Force Wolverine and 3 Hulks from the big event (#159 right now without having done any of today's missions). And I ought to be able to get at least 3 IM40s from No Holds Barred.

zulux21

Yes. She's an incredible glass cannon in the Hulk event with a buffed Wolverine. Each strike tile is worth something like 150 bonus damage, so with three of them she's getting almost 1000 bonus damage on blue/black/purple matches. She's very strong without a buffed Wolverine too, but her fragility is a problem since she's often going to end up taking hits if your team is set up to allow her to use her passive.

Today is likely to be good for me. Got a Loki (meh) this morning. I'm positioned well for an X-Force Wolverine and 3 Hulks from the big event (#159 right now without having done any of today's missions). And I ought to be able to get at least 3 IM40s from No Holds Barred.

that's really good to know... I have been sitting on purple covers for her debating if I want to put two purple covers that will let me use her skill less thus making it less useful sometimes but more useful other times (basically a wash) or get some black ones that would do next to nothing because the damage wasn't meaningful when i took wolveine's stike tiles into effect... but since those apply, the black move suddenly because a lot more useful... it's a shame that I don't think i can fall enough in the hulk event to get some more widow... as I really don't find hulk to be all that good of a character to use.

Gotchaye

I don't consider her a glass cannon. She has average health and a heal.

Not as far as the Hulk event goes. Wolverine at max level has more than twice as much hp as Original Widow at max level. Hulk is comparably tanky somewhere between level 30 and level 40. My level 22 Captain America has almost as much hp as my level 70 Widow. Those level 150+ AI teams tear her apart if she's in front, but she does more damage than the buffed characters when she matches, as long as you have some strike tiles down.

In PvP without buffed allies or overleveled enemies she's fine on offense, but defensively is often the first target, and the Wolverine/Thor/Widow combo that works so well in PvE or on offense can be quickly left without any black/purple/blue coverage (this is still my go-to PvP team right now).

davepoobond

He's my second. :)

Yug!

Got my last yellow wolverine from prologue. Black widow classic always gets one shot in cascades for me. The game doesn't want me to play with her it seems like. She's level 45 too

Pulled a modern magneto and accidentally sold him. Then I pulled another. I had one a long time ago but sold him off for a 3 star. Probably gonna keep him for the next slot I get.

Ended up in just the top 5k but I can't be too peeved after getting the Punisher cover and a X-Force Wolvie and all the other rad jazz I got. Just waiting for my No Holds winnings so I can call it a day.

Gotchaye

Good haul today. 2 X-Force Wolverines, 3 Hulks, 3 IM40s, and a Loki. And now there's an IM40 tournament with Spider-Man covers as prizes. Good because Spider-Man, bad because now I have to put ISO into IM40. But if this tournament repeats with the same prizes I'll have gotten a good start on the character.

I still don't like Hulk's green, and I'm sitting on a cover for that rather than raise it to level 4 while I ponder. Same with IM40's yellow.

shaowebb

Shit...I sold my Marvel Now Magneto with the polarity shift a long time ago and kept the classic mags. Now I get another Marvel Now Magneto with one of his other abilities. Time to expand my slots. Also I got a Daken and a Doom in the wings. Still no spidey or rags in sight though. Ah well...guess its off to prologue and the double shot tourney to grind for rewards to spend. BTW Wolverine is doing excellent out there. If I can get him a green creating character it'd be lights out early for folks.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Good haul today. 2 X-Force Wolverines, 3 Hulks, 3 IM40s, and a Loki. And now there's an IM40 tournament with Spider-Man covers as prizes. Good because Spider-Man, bad because now I have to put ISO into IM40. But if this tournament repeats with the same prizes I'll have gotten a good start on the character.

I still don't like Hulk's green, and I'm sitting on a cover for that rather than raise it to level 4 while I ponder. Same with IM40's yellow.

Yeah, I don't think I'll bother leveling green past 3. It's a hard call, because as a 4/2/2 and eventual 4/4/5, he might be fine tanking for secondary teams. I just don't think I can risk someday capping him out incorrectly. I already have a "bad" Captain America that's forcing me to level up a second one (I need 5 yellows to make him a proper tank for certain teams).

I'm thinking about putting this down though. It's such a time commitment. I was in the top 20 for most of the last Hulk event, and would have easily made top 300 if I hadn't slept in this morning. Now it feels like I wasted some ridiculous amount of time over the past week for three hulk covers that I could have gotten for half the time.

davepoobond

I'm with you on the time commitment. I think it's just that they have tons if events going in at the same time and there are so many subevents. Red ISO wasn't like that at all

I've been just reeling it back a bit where I shouldn't be playing (like at work although there is a ton if downtime)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm thinking about putting this down though. It's such a time commitment. I was in the top 20 for most of the last Hulk event, and would have easily made top 300 if I hadn't slept in this morning. Now it feels like I wasted some ridiculous amount of time over the past week for three hulk covers that I could have gotten for half the time.
I feel the same way. I even found myself not wanting to pick up my phone to play it a bunch of times during this last Hulk tournament which is why I only got about 40K points and got only one useless green Hulk cover. If I want to do well it takes up too much time each day.

I'd prefer more Prologue stuff that I don't have a time limit on.

Shit...I sold my Marvel Now Magneto with the polarity shift a long time ago and kept the classic mags. Now I get another Marvel Now Magneto with one of his other abilities. Time to expand my slots. Also I got a Daken and a Doom in the wings. Still no spidey or rags in sight though. Ah well...guess its off to prologue and the double shot tourney to grind for rewards to spend. BTW Wolverine is doing excellent out there. If I can get him a green creating character it'd be lights out early for folks.

Thor does nicely. :D

Dont like the sound of this new update. So now we are going to need to spend HP to score high in tournaments? Yet i see no mentions of HP rewards increase or lower HP cost for slots/covers?

This just sounds bad. The system is broken, its not possible to get over 1000 and SHIELD traning is pointless and insted of fixing it they want us to spend real money to work around it? Like i said i have not tried it, maybe its good but i dont like the sound of it.

shaowebb

Thor is working out well. Takes a bit initially but once the ball gets rollin it keeps momentum. Pretty stylish duo. Also I got another Bullseye and I've discovered that Bullseye Thor and Hulk are INFURIATING to go against.

Thor and Hulk feed green to each other and have a ton of health. Bullseye armors the board to where you can hardly do damage to them. Takes sooooooooooooo long to hurt them. I'm betting I can use Thor Wolverine for this too since he heals so much it'd be equivalent. It'd probably work well with purple factory characters too since they'd create more protect tiles.

Finally got a blue spidey cover, so he can at least be somewhat useful. Anyone try a Bullseye/Spidey combo?I feel like the stuns + protect tiles + healing would make you a tough team to take down, just need to throw in a heavy hitter for that third slot (take your pick, but probably not Thor due to his Yellow fighting with Spidey's heal)

shaowebb

Finally got a blue spidey cover, so he can at least be somewhat useful. Anyone try a Bullseye/Spidey combo?I feel like the stuns + protect tiles + healing would make you a tough team to take down, just need to throw in a heavy hitter for that third slot (take your pick, but probably not Thor due to his Yellow fighting with Spidey's heal)

If you somehow have a leveled one Hulk would work. Ragnarok is also good and Juggernaut is fair, but great starting out. His only issue is that though he has over 3k in health and deals over 1k in damage for 6 red tiles he sacrifices 500 or so to do it. He'll kill a whole team but he's only good for a few fights.

Can't believe I dissed Yellow Wolverine for so long. The guy is an absolute beast! Have him up to level 83, with a level 85 Thor. Throw in whoever for a third. It's been working out well.

Still can't manage to get a 2nd X-Force Wolverine. Is he a good character to have?

blackflag

Can't believe I dissed Yellow Wolverine for so long. The guy is an absolute beast! Have him up to level 83, with a level 85 Thor. Throw in whoever for a third. It's been working out well.

Still can't manage to get a 2nd X-Force Wolverine. Is he a good character to have?

Not at all. All the 4 stars are trash.

blackflag

These added shields are pretty cool if it means we can actually reach the top rewards now.

I don't see how it would allow that. You can't get hit but can't attack. It would be good in a situation where you got to the level you want to be at and think you can place really high without playing for the next few hours to sleep or something.

Gotchaye

I don't see how it would allow that. You can't get hit but can't attack. It would be good in a situation where you got to the level you want to be at and think you can place really high without playing for the next few hours to sleep or something.

Is it the case that people with shields can't be attacked, or just that they don't lose points when they get attacked?

Gotchaye

You can attack them, and get points, they just don't lose points.

Then it allows people to reach higher progression rewards because it means there are more net points flowing into the system. As far as I know, points gained/lost in PvP is just a function of the point difference between the two players. The problem for people with 600+ points is that there's basically no one for them to attack for significant numbers of points and everyone else gains 30+ points for attacking them (and they lose almost this many when they get attacked). But if they're shielded, and don't lose any points, attacking them only adds 30+ points to the system and brings more people up into a 400+ range, which makes it easier for other people to hit 600+, and so on. It bootstraps everybody into higher progression rewards, including the people using shields as long as they don't shield all the way through to the end, but even if they do do this it helps everyone else.

davepoobond

Seems really expensive to use one... I don't know if it's going to really make that big of an impact is it?

Gotchaye

Seems really expensive to use one... I don't know if it's going to really make that big of an impact is it?

Two people in the top 10 in my bracket have shields on right now. The top guy is up at 880, which I don't think I've ever seen before and which I imagine is made possible by the existence of shielded players.

They also aren't that expensive if you can't otherwise play right at the end of the tournament. A 3 hour shield pays for itself if it improves your placement significantly. The longer ones are harder to justify, of course; there will still be a degree of effective rubber-banding due to it being easier to gain points when other people have lots of points.

Edit: As for numbers, probably you don't need that many players using shields to make a big difference. Right now, a typical battle involves one player gaining maybe 25 points and another player losing maybe 15 points. So a shield means that a single battle results in 2.5 times as many points entering the system. Players with lots of points tend to give and lose even more, because they'll often have more points than the people attacking them, and shields are disproportionately used by players with lots of points. If 5% of the people in a tournament use shields, and they account for 10% of lost battles for various reasons, then there are going to be about 15% more points floating around in the tournament, which is a pretty big deal. That's moving the top spots from ~600 to ~700. My observation was that 20% of top players were using shields, but of course I don't have much of a sample (and it's really early in the tournament, although on the other hand shields are also a new thing).

davepoobond

Yeah I generally agree with your number crunching. I think we'll probably see more people using it randomly because its new but it'll be interesting to see if people use it effectively like at the end of a tournament.

Top Bottom