• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Triz

Why do my nodes in the Newest PVE not give full value when I haven't done them yet? Shouldn't they stay max for 4 turns then reduce?

Dalek

I earned 25 coins from Ultron and got 25 from a login bonus and I already had like 20 so I opened 4 in the past day. I got 2 war machine covers, an X23 and the last Jean Grey I needed to fully cover her. I should champion Iceman in the next few days and then I'll work on championing Jean.

Triz

25 CP daily reward and I pull a Prof X, who was just finished Saturday. This game trolls and I know it. (I went 6 months needing one cover to finish him.)

Championed X-Force Wolverine (I know, I know) and got 25 CP from my daily reward.

Got a Kate Bishop (my first!) and 5-star Hulk. I'm on fire lately.

Triz

Took a few tries with my 188 Jean Gray, but I was able to beat the 4 star daily. (My Jean does not have the passive to counter match 5) Pulled a black Venom.

Dalek

I have to tell you guys-a boosted championed Iceman is RIDICULOUS.

I have a chance at hitting 1300 in PVP for the first time.

Triz

Testament to the new pve system. Day and a half to go and I already hit max progression. That's only clearing the nodes 4 times each.

zulux21

Yeah, I haven't pulled a 5* since the civil war thing

same but I am quite happy with that.
only 5* I would want is OML beyond that I don't want any. I am still working on my complete cycle of 2* characters before I fully move to 3 star championing, after that I can worry about 4 and 5 :p

though my 4 star collection is getting better.

I have about four 3 stars left to champion, but they include Hood and Loki so they don't really count. Once I get more iso, I can start raising a few 4 stars.

Spoit

I have to tell you guys-a boosted championed Iceman is RIDICULOUS.

I have a chance at hitting 1300 in PVP for the first time.

Ugh, stupid game. I was flipping through nodes on one node, but of course the one retaliation node that slipped through when I was unshielded goes and noms the node that actually had points on it

Dalek

pulled 2 more Legendary Tokens last night-a duplicate Professor X and another War Machine cover. The game loves to give me War Machine-I've gotten 7 since he was released.

5*s are so elusive to me.

MiTYH

Played a PVP against a Bruce Banner with only the pink. That's... an interesting ability to have when he gets it activated.

Testament to the new pve system. Day and a half to go and I already hit max progression. That's only clearing the nodes 4 times each.

Next PvE has max progression at 42K when last time it ran it May it was 59K. Looks like it's going to be another really easy max progression (but it is a new release, so placement is going to be a bitch and a half).

zulux21

Next PvE has max progression at 42K when last time it ran it May it was 59K. Looks like it's going to be another really easy max progression (but it is a new release, so placement is going to be a bitch and a half).

even though I want wasp, I will likely just pass on this one. with the current PVE system a top 100 for a new character will likely come down to grinding everything down to 1 point and grinding endlessly for that 1 point over and over again.

even though I want wasp, I will likely just pass on this one. with the current PVE system a top 100 for a new character will likely come down to grinding everything down to 1 point and grinding endlessly for that 1 point over and over again.

Normally I've been completely skipping new release PvEs, but I'm in an ISO grind right now so I'll probably at least hit each node 4 times (which will get me max progression and all the 500 ISO prizes).

zulux21

At least you guys are building. Every token I get is some new jabroni. So all my 4*'s are weak as hell and I have to fight to make room for the new ones.

to be fair I think I currently have every 4 star rostered.

part of the plus to my 2* cycle is as long as I don't do something stupid (like I have done twice with limited vaults) I get enough HP to keep getting two roster slots a month.

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
Loving this new PVP event. Never seen it before, is it new? For once lvl doesn't matter, it's all about synergies. My 2* roster is really excelling at taking down everything now it's an even playing field. Seems many players just throw out teams with terrible colour coverage and I'm cleaning up. Since I've already cleared all rewards in PVE, this is a bonus.

zulux21

Loving this new PVP event. Never seen it before, is it new? For once lvl doesn't matter, it's all about synergies. My 2* roster is really excelling at taking down everything now it's an even playing field. Seems many players just throw out teams with terrible colour coverage and I'm cleaning up. Since I've already cleared all rewards in PVE, this is a bonus.

balance of power is run at the end of every season.
it actually used to be a lot better for early players because of how 1/2 stars scaled compared to 3/4 now it heavily favors higher power rosters.

but as long as you aren't trying to get to 1k plus points a 2 star roster should do just fine.

it actually used to be a lot better for early players because of how 1/2 stars scaled compared to 3/4 now it heavily favors higher power rosters.

but as long as you aren't trying to get to 1k plus points a 2 star roster should do just fine.

Not at the end of every season, more like every 3 months or so.

shows how much I pay attention. I personally hate it so I don't play it at all lol.
takes way to long to kill anything :/

I like it for the same reason he does. Even now, outside of the top tier 4* teams, this is the one event where anyone can beat anyone as long as you have enough covers and enough time. I'd imagine shield hopping to try to get to 1K or 1300 is a pain in the ass, but the matches, and especially trying out different teams that may not necessarily work together due to health pools, is fun.

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
Oh yeah, I'm not trying to hit 1k, top guy in my bracket is only on 574, but it's fun to be able to play at any time and not worry about having my team destroyed by some lvl 550 OML in just a few turns because someone is willing to drop serious cash into the game while I have to do things like buy a house and pay my bills. This last season I was losing to teams boasting a maxed Banner only a few days post launch, that's just not fun to play. Since this new PVP started, I've enjoyed the game much more. Disappointing to know it's only once every few months. Even a training mode that allowed experimentation like this and rewarded low ISO would be very welcome from my point of view and surely wouldn't unbalance the game too much as grinding for such low rewards in long matches would be pointless.

zulux21

I like it for the same reason he does. Even now, outside of the top tier 4* teams, this is the one event where anyone can beat anyone as long as you have enough covers and enough time. I'd imagine shield hopping to try to get to 1K or 1300 is a pain in the ass, but the matches, and especially trying out different teams that may not necessarily work together due to health pools, is fun.

I just goof around with teams in trivial nodes in PVE.

in general I don't play much PVP because it's boring to me.

I can see having fun with that, and I used to have fun with it. but when they moved everything from 270 to whatever it is now the health pools just got crazy big and a lot of the moves that would deal with that scaled in such a way that respectively they do much less damage now making the matches much longer than before 5* were introduced.

Spoit

Yeah....I'm not really sure how feasible 1k would be, but I realllllly need that rulk cover

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
Urgh, new season and it doesn't look like it's shaken out how I'd hoped. Still looking at facing off with a tonne of Banners and OML's, despite placing poorly most of last season in PVP. Makes PVP a pain for another month, which is especially annoying given I don't have much in the way of boosted characters for this Heart of Darkness event either.

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
How are people here finding the new PVE system? I lurk a bit on the official forums and the hardcore there seems super annoyed by the new system. Their complaints basically boil down to the fact they have invested years in the game, have the top rosters and alliances, but now find themselves unable to win every event thus ensuring they get all the best new covers. Diddums. My heart bleeds for these poor souls.

Personally, I like the new system. Earning covers from placement is a bonus to me, it's all about those progression rewards to help build my roster, and being able to hit 25CP most events will stand me in good stead when it comes to moving past a 3* roster. Knowing that the strong aren't just getting further and further away from me constantly is a great incentive to keep playing. Maybe one day I'll look at PVP and not roll my eyes?

Spoit

How are people here finding the new PVE system? I lurk a bit on the official forums and the hardcore there seems super annoyed by the new system. Their complaints basically boil down to the fact they have invested years in the game, have the top rosters and alliances, but now find themselves unable to win every event thus ensuring they get all the best new covers. Diddums. My heart bleeds for these poor souls.

Personally, I like the new system. Earning covers from placement is a bonus to me, it's all about those progression rewards to help build my roster, and being able to hit 25CP most events will stand me in good stead when it comes to moving past a 3* roster. Knowing that the strong aren't just getting further and further away from me constantly is a great incentive to keep playing. Maybe one day I'll look at PVP and not roll my eyes?

I mean, realistically, they're not even really using 4*s except for the required node anyway.

I haven't played PvE in months now, since it's always a terrible time/value proposition. And unless they changed something substantial, the progression rewards are trash. But even without knowing what the changes are, I can unequivocally say that they're terrible and made the grind even worse. Because D3 is terrible and that's what they always do

EDIT: looked it up. You need to do 4 clears when it starts and down to 0 when it ends? Yeah...fuck that. Especially since placement depends on who can do those clears faster.

Khaz

I used to do PVP up to 200 points against the first three opponents, who were always using super weak teams of lvl 1s and 2s. But not any more? Did I do something?

Triz

PVE max progression is so much easier to hit now. Again i have the 25cp 1.5 days before it ends. Good thing too as I go camping for the next 4 days.

Please don't drop me from the alliance if I don't log in, not sure I will have signal.

zulux21

PVE max progression is so much easier to hit now. Again i have the 25cp 1.5 days before it ends. Good thing too as I go camping for the next 4 days.

Please don't drop me from the alliance if I don't log in, not sure I will have signal.

no worries, I don't drop people for 4 days, typically you have to hit double digits of not logging in.

I mean, realistically, they're not even really using 4*s except for the required node anyway.

I haven't played PvE in months now, since it's always a terrible time/value proposition. And unless they changed something substantial, the progression rewards are trash. But even without knowing what the changes are, I can unequivocally say that they're terrible and made the grind even worse. Because D3 is terrible and that's what they always do

EDIT: looked it up. You need to do 4 clears when it starts and down to 0 when it ends? Yeah...fuck that. Especially since placement depends on who can do those clears faster.

You have to do it if you're shooting for top 10 in a non-new release (and probably top 50 in a new release). Anything lower than that, and 5-6 clears at basically any point should get you there (just like it did before). So yeah, if all you care about is getting specific 4* covers, PvE is probably more of a pain for you than it was before. But most people don't only care about specific 4* covers.

Spoit

You have to do it if you're shooting for top 10 in a non-new release (and probably top 50 in a new release). Anything lower than that, and 5-6 clears at basically any point should get you there (just like it did before). So yeah, if all you care about is getting specific 4* covers, PvE is probably more of a pain for you than it was before. But most people don't only care about specific 4* covers.

I mean, why else would you play pve, when that time of time commitment, for just the 1 day of pve, is about as much as you need to lazily hit 1k in at least 2, maybe 3 pvps?

Triz

I mean, why else would you play pve, when that time of time commitment, for just the 1 day of pve, is about as much as you need to lazily hit 1k in at least 2, maybe 3 pvps?
My roster fucks my pvp matches. I can't compete against 5 star and 4 star teams with 3 star characters.

My roster fucks my pvp matches. I can't compete against 5 star and 4 star teams with 3 star characters.

This, basically. You can't get to 1K in PvP without at least one maxed 4 star. My highest 4* characters right now are all at 7-8 covers, and none of them are the ones that dominate the meta (my best are probably my 2/4/2 XF Deadpool and my 1/2/4 Cyclops). My Jean is 2/1/2, my Hulkbuster is 1/0/0, and I don't even have one Rulk cover. My highest 5 stars are a 1/1/0 OML and a 2/1/1 Phoenix. I've only ever hit 800 twice, and it took shielding to do that. And I've still never hit 2K in Shield SIM (made it to 1960 once in the middle of the night with shields, but I both couldn't find a match worth enough points and got blasted while I was playing a match to get me closer).

That and PvE is still a decently effective way to get ISO, especially since they've removed the randomness from the rewards.

Top Bottom