• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

zulux21

I figured it was pointless to spend 40k iso leveling up my mr. fansatic.

but when the game keeps giving Dr. Doom nothing but 4 and 5 matches of black and purple it feels double pointless @_@

Spoit

I figured it was pointless to spend 40k iso leveling up my mr. fansatic.

but when the game keeps giving Dr. Doom nothing but 4 and 5 matches of black and purple it feels double pointless @_@
Yeah, I'm not sure how doable that would be, even with a maxed Mr fantastic.

Dalek

I beat Doom with my Mr. Fantastic. Took about 7 tries. My reward-finally a 5 star cover. But the cover was a Bruce Banner-making it yet another 1 cover 5 star character.

Spoit

Yeah, having to spend 3 hours doing the clear upon joining last night, I really don't like the new pve method. The only thing that made it tolerable was that you could amortize your playtime for a new sub throughout the day, now you have to do 2 'final' clears, and you're graded on how fast both of them are. I imagine it'd get old super fast during the change over for subs, that's easily 4 hours of continuous playtime right there!

Luckily, I realized that the top 1-2 cover is just the switch strike/defend and strengthen them, so I don't need to bother with going for it.

zulux21

Yeah, I'm not sure how doable that would be, even with a maxed Mr fantastic.

I thought there was a chance I had a chance given I had 4 black covers for fantastic, but no... I can't get him below half health beacuse if he collects enough blue, black or purple it is over.

and in a match where I tick down his lift 500 a match it just takes to long to keep him from doing that.

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
Championed my tenth 2* this morning, Ms Marvel, to round out my roster. Now firmly in the lengthy transition to 3*. None of my 3*'s are even close to champ status however so I find myself with nothing to spend ISO on. Do I just hoard it for the inevitable shortage I'm going to feel later? Is there a limit to how much I can collect? I'm still five covers away from championing Blade, while most of my 3*'s only have a few covers at most, and while I've read that the transition can take months, I don't want to be playing for nothing if I build up a stockpile of ISO only to see it vanish before I can use it.

zulux21

Championed my tenth 2* this morning, Ms Marvel, to round out my roster. Now firmly in the lengthy transition to 3*. None of my 3*'s are even close to champ status however so I find myself with nothing to spend ISO on. Do I just hoard it for the inevitable shortage I'm going to feel later? Is there a limit to how much I can collect? I'm still five covers away from championing Blade, while most of my 3*'s only have a few covers at most, and while I've read that the transition can take months, I don't want to be playing for nothing if I build up a stockpile of ISO only to see it vanish before I can use it.

The limit is like 50 million before you get autobanned. Aka you should be fine.

Spoit

Ugh, I finally got another 5* cover, but it was a dumb SS black. I still don't have his red, so his use is pretty darn limited

Triz

Late joined the PVE last night after returning from vacation. Easy top 50 finish with only about 7k points in the event. Wish it was always that easy.

NineH

The limit is like 50 million before you get autobanned. Aka you should be fine.

Lol. Have they actually changed their sandboxing policies recently though? I ask because the previous limit seemed to be 2 million iso because I was banned twice in three days a year or so ago for having too much iso that's why I just spend it much more often now.

zulux21

Lol. Have they actually changed their sandboxing policies recently though? I ask because the previous limit seemed to be 2 million iso because I was banned twice in three days a year or so ago for having too much iso that's why I just spend it much more often now.

nah it's likely that, I couldn't remember the exact number but I would be surprised if they hit a million iso.

Found a method that works for me for the new PvE and I've gotten top 50 every event I've done it in where I actually tried for placement. So that's nice. Not worrying about top 10 unless I skip a couple events and get an easy bracket, because even in the old system I'm just not willing to put in for that type of grind.

zulux21

got my token from the 4 star battle, got another quake cover.

she is totally going to be my next fully covered 4 star. she is 4/3/4 for me now @_@

MiTYH

Was working well on Iceman 1/2/0 with +2purple, +2 all, +100% damage. Had Jean about 1/2 heath annnnnd the app crashed.

Malmorian

I have to say, that was the easiest Clash I've done in ages, JG got 1 turn at the start and I was able to keep her perma-stunned. As a result the game decided that my reward should match my effort, and gave me a blue IW cover ;/

Triz

Yeah stun lock iceman FTW. level 111 and easily cleared with her stunned whole match. Finally pulled a 5 star for my trouble. Got a black Hulk cover.

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
Is there some kind of trigger for breaking 1000 points in the simulator in PVP. Every time I do, I seem to get absolutely hammered. Granted I've been busy for most of the day, but I broke 1000 again this morning yet just found myself hit for 162 points since then? Every time I get above 1000 then stop playing for a bit, I always seem to return to a savaging. Been sitting at 962 for a while now and not a peep.

Oh, and I hate OML. My hate for that 270 knows no bounds. He pops up constantly in PVP. His book is terrible, can't we just punt him?

zulux21

Is there some kind of trigger for breaking 1000 points in the simulator in PVP. Every time I do, I seem to get absolutely hammered. Granted I've been busy for most of the day, but I broke 1000 again this morning yet just found myself hit for 162 points since then? Every time I get above 1000 then stop playing for a bit, I always seem to return to a savaging. Been sitting at 962 for a while now and not a peep.

Oh, and I hate OML. My hate for that 270 knows no bounds. He pops up constantly in PVP. His book is terrible, can't we just punt him?

that is why you shield if you are leaving.

honestly you have extremely good luck if you can hit 1k points and leave for more than an hour and only lose 162 points.

losing 162 point during a single match happens from time to time :p

The Hulk PVE is pretty much a wash for me as far as the Mobile version is concerned. I typically pick the 7AM est refresh tier & usually place in the top 50, this time I picked the noon est refresh & I'm struggling to get out of the 600s.

Spoit

Wait for the last week of the season?

Triz

Another PVE where I hit max progression 2.5 days before it ended. Pulled a red Peggy Carter with the CP, and a Blue Punisher with my other 25 I had saved.

edit* And Im 5 levels away from maxing out Hulkbuster...the ISO Ive dumped into him the last 2 weeks is crazy.

zulux21

Another PVE where I hit max progression 2.5 days before it ended. Pulled a red Peggy Carter with the CP, and a Blue Punisher with my other 25 I had saved.

edit* And Im 5 levels away from maxing out Hulkbuster...the ISO Ive dumped into him the last 2 weeks is crazy.

and just think the second half of an event typically has quite a bit more points than the first half.

Dalek

http://marvel.com/news/video_games/26572/piecing_together_marvel_puzzle_quest_black_bolt

Actions speak louder than words—unless you’re Black Bolt and your whispers can shatter mountains.

We talked to Demiurge Designer Patch Rodriguez about the Silent Room’s owner and the sonic carnage he brings to “Marvel Puzzle Quest.”

Marvel.com: I can’t tell you how excited I am to have the former king of the Inhumans in “Puzzle Quest.” He was actually my #1 requested hero in the survey you guys put out a while back!

Patch Rodriguez: Awesome! I'm a big fan of Black Bolt as well, especially after reading the 1998 [Paul] Jenkins/[Jae] Lee run of INHUMANS, from which we got Black Bolt’s cover. That story was all about his role as king and the tough decisions he had to make to preserve his people’s way of life, which I really appreciated. I was very excited to be able to bring him to life in our game.

Marvel.com: But fanboy aside, why’d you guys decide to help him bridge the gap from comics to games?

Patch Rodriguez: Mr. Boltagon is a classic Marvel character who is also highly requested by fans. Plus, his voice’s destructive power and his position as the king of the Inhumans make him the perfect addition to our 5-Star lineup. I hope that his strength and kingly nature comes through in his Powers.

Marvel.com: When designing someone as powerful as Black Bolt, how does the team make sure he’s not wildly overpowered but feels satisfying to bring to battle?

Patch Rodriguez: I feel that one of Black Bolt’s key character points is his self-restraint. He’s trained himself not to utter a sound so as not to inadvertently hurt those around him, so he never uses his power unless absolutely necessary. This is an admirable quality for a king because it shows his people that he truly cares about protecting them and that he’d be able to defend against any enemies should the need arise. Black Bolt is designed almost as a support character, helping his team from the sidelines but stepping in to unleash his power when he needs to.

Marvel.com: And what are his Powers?

Patch Rodriguez: His first Power is called Quasi-Sonic Whisper. Black Bolt’s Inhuman power comes from his voice, which is so powerful that even a mere whisper can level mountains. For 10 Green AP, Black Bolt deals damage and destroys the middle two rows of the board. However, if you manage to save up five of every other color AP, he lets out a Quasi-Sonic Scream instead, which deals even more damage to the enemy team, and destroys the entire board! He drains all of the team’s colored AP to do this though, but the results are immense.

His second Power is a Black passive called Energy Channeling. Black Bolt’s antenna is capable of helping him draw out the ambient energy in the air around him, and he can use this energy to do all kinds of things including flying, improving his physical traits, creating barriers, etc. Every turn, this Power creates a number of Charged tiles in the color most present on the board. If there are at least four Charged tiles already on the board, he deals damage to the target and a bit of damage to himself from the exertion.

His final Power is called The Silent King. Black Bolt’s noble stoicism and supreme wisdom motivate his subjects and allies to work their hardest. This Power costs eight Yellow AP and creates a new kind of tile called a Motivation tile. This tile, like Silver Surfer’s Black Hole tile, can’t be matched or targeted and doesn’t fall. While this tile is on the board, it increases the target’s Power levels. At level five, this Power targets all of Black Bolt’s allies and increases all their Powers by two levels to a max of five. This means that while the tile is on the board, you can have characters with builds of 5/5/5!

Marvel.com: I gotta know, are we getting help from the Inhuman Royal Family in the future or are we flying solo? I’d love to see what you guys do with Karnak.

Patch Rodriguez: For now, Black Bolt is on his own, but later this year we will be adding Queen Medusa to the game. Along with Kamala Khan and Quake (Daisy Johnson), that makes four Inhumans in “Marvel Puzzle Quest,” with hopefully more to come!

Marvel.com: Who works well with the king? Are there any heroes or villains that have any fun synergy with Black Bolt?

Patch Rodriguez: The Silent King is an interesting Power because it allows you to pair him with under-covered characters that you wouldn’t normally consider. His Motivation tile can even temporarily grant his allies powers that they have 0 covers in! Having a character whose Powers are leveled to 5/5/5 can also dole out some extra damage or other effects that were otherwise unavailable at level three or four, like producing a Fortified Countdown tile for War Machine’s Aerial Assault, or generating extra Yellow AP with Kingpin’s The Fisk Defense!

Black Bolt also works well with any characters that can generate extra AP to save up for Quasi-Sonic Scream; Wasp is a fun example, with That Buzzing Sound. He also works great with any characters who work with Charged tiles, like Thor (Goddess of Thunder). Being able to destroy the entire board is also pretty exciting with characters who benefit from tile destruction, such as Deadpool (Uncanny X-Force) and his Countdown for What tiles. For some fun insult to injury, try firing Quasi-Sonic Scream after putting down a Fortified Aerial Assault tile with War Machine!

Marvel.com: I’m really liking the damage and utility Black Bolt’s got going for him. When do we get our mitts on this guy?!

Patch Rodriguez: Black Bolt will be available starting on Thursday this week in the Latest Legends pack! Good luck!

57aa243657829.jpg

57aa2468e8bd9.jpg

Triz

Well I finally finished HulkBuster. Now I need one more cover to champion and maximize cover powers.

Side note, Im sure not many of you use Silver Surfer but I use him to clear out easy nodes. And the so called "untouchable" black power comes off the board with quite a few powers from other characters. Not sure if is a bug or working as intended. So seeing another power touted as working the same is interesting.

zulux21

despite trying to have a cycle of 2 star champs I have had to throw away like 10 thor covers.

if I could cover him my next 2 star thor would be something like 3/15/2 @_@

Triz

Ive stopped championing 3 and 2 stars and am just dumping ISO to build my 4 star roster. In the hopes that I can compete in PVP again someday since Im always matched up against 4 star rosters. I do run a 1 cover pool of 15 day expire covers one of each two star so that I can sub in whatever 2 star is needed in my floater roster slot.

zulux21

Ive stopped championing 3 and 2 stars and am just dumping ISO to build my 4 star roster. In the hopes that I can compete in PVP again someday since Im always matched up against 4 star rosters. I do run a 1 cover pool of 15 day expire covers one of each two star so that I can sub in whatever 2 star is needed in my floater roster slot.

the two star cycle should help in the really long term as it will allow me to slowly get more covers for all the 3 stars they give.

I have a few 4 stars I could champ, but they require so much HP. I still would rather just max out everyone else then fully move onto 4 stars :p

it helps that I have zero interest in PVP anymore.

the two star cycle should help in the really long term as it will allow me to slowly get more covers for all the 3 stars they give.

I have a few 4 stars I could champ, but they require so much HP. I still would rather just max out everyone else then fully move onto 4 stars :p

it helps that I have zero interest in PVP anymore.

While I wouldn't say I have no interest in PvP, I agree that I'm not going to screw up my roster in terms of PvE just so that I have a chance at getting 1K in PvP if I shield a bunch of times.

PvP is really a lot more rewarding than pve. Both in absolute terms, and especially in terms of time commitment.

Not until you get a decent 4 star roster, which you have to play PvE for, and even when you do is going to take somewhere between 8 months to a year and a half.

Edit: Basically, imagine how long it would take to even fully cover your 3 stars if you were only playing PvP and DDQ.

zulux21

PvP is really a lot more rewarding than pve. Both in absolute terms, and especially in terms of time commitment.

eh.. maybe if you grind hard and have a good team.

PVP is a lot more enjoyable to play... but a lot of that could be the simple fact that I am usually doing something else while playing marvel puzzle quest, and often walk away in the middle of a match for 10+ minutes at a time.

deadpool daily takes me like 45 minutes to clear :p

NineH

eh.. maybe if you grind hard and have a good team.

PVP is a lot more enjoyable to play... but a lot of that could be the simple fact that I am usually doing something else while playing marvel puzzle quest, and often walk away in the middle of a match for 10+ minutes at a time.

deadpool daily takes me like 45 minutes to clear :p

It takes me around 3 hours total to get to 1000 points in PvP over the course of two days, PvE takes a lot longer to get to 25 cp which is pretty much equivalent to a 4* cover so in terms of time commitment, PvP is faster if not tougher though.

zulux21

It takes me around 3 hours total to get to 1000 points in PvP over the course of two days, PvE takes a lot longer to get to 25 cp which is pretty much equivalent to a 4* cover so in terms of time commitment, PvP is faster if not tougher though.

it would take me far far longer, and during that time I would be attacked.

to get to 300 points typically takes me around 2 hours just because I will play a bit, do something else, play a bit ect.

Spoit

I mean, not even 25cp. A single day's worth of pve is easily at least twice, probably closer to three times as much time as a pvp takes

I mean, not even 25cp. A single day's worth of pve is easily at least twice, probably closer to three times as much time as a pvp takes

Again, if you have a roster full of usable 4 stars. Which many people (myself included) don't. Yes, once you get to that level, PvP is a better use of your time (at least getting up to 1300 is). But to get to that level you have to play a good amount of PvE or wait a really, really long time.

zulux21

I got four 4* covers in my season ten pack-all duplicates. I can't believe my luck.

time to spend $5000 in order to get the iso to champ them all I guess.

but yeah it sucks that you got a bunch of dupes.

- Rewards Cache: Added drop-down menu allowing players to select covers based on Star-Rating. Selected Star-Rated covers can be sold all at once by selecting the “Sell All” button at the bottom of the screen.

- Roster Slots: Increased number a player can have to 300 (from 200).

- Updated Symbiote Minion Balance: Most powers have increased countdown times and do less damage in general. (More information soon in a separate post.)

a bit of the update info.
the ability to just sell 1 stars will be great as I build up 2//3 stars.
symbiotes being reworked will also be great.
and good to know I can eventually have 300 roster spots.
I am a third of the way there :p

Dalek

Two other new things in todays update:

Hi, folks.

A quick note: Starting today, we are introducing VIP Streak Bonus!

After your VIP Status has expired, you will have 24 hours to renew again. If you do, you and your entire Alliance will receive 1 Command Point.

Thanks!

New Upcoming feature - S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank and Clearance Levels!

Your S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank represents your progression through the game. Story and Versus Events will have S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels to provide different rewards and appropriate challenge for players of different S.H.I.E.L.D. Ranks.

S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank and Clearance Levels will help new players graduate from the early game to an advanced roster. Veterans will see better rewards that speed up development for their advanced teams.

We're excited to get these features fully in place by late Fall. Stay tuned for more information as we get closer to release!

zulux21

Two other new things in todays update:

I guess their renewal levels on VIP wasn't high enough.

not that I see 1 CP swaying many people, though I suppose it would entice alliances to all be VIP in order to get 20 extra CP a month.

as for the shield ranks, it sounds like something I have wanted since early on. an easy and hard bracket with better rewards for the hard.

I am curious how the ranks will work, will I be in the harder bracket just because I have been playing for 1000 days, or will it be based off roster strength or what.

we will have to see.

personally I would still prefer to just be able to choose if I play in easy or medium or hard ect but I will let them reveal the feature properly before I judge it properly :p

I guess their renewal levels on VIP wasn't high enough.

not that I see 1 CP swaying many people, though I suppose it would entice alliances to all be VIP in order to get 20 extra CP a month.

as for the shield ranks, it sounds like something I have wanted since early on. an easy and hard bracket with better rewards for the hard.

I am curious how the ranks will work, will I be in the harder bracket just because I have been playing for 1000 days, or will it be based off roster strength or what.

we will have to see.

personally I would still prefer to just be able to choose if I play in easy or medium or hard ect but I will let them reveal the feature properly before I judge it properly :p

The reason I don't think that's a great idea is because in that case, there's nothing really stopping the highly developed roster for choosing the easy bracket and taking their rewards. What if, for example, the hard bracket rewards were Mr. Fantastic and Squirrel Girl and the easy bracket were 2* Mags and Cyclops? Especially with champion cycling making it worth it for even many higher level rosters to get 2* rewards.

zulux21

The reason I don't think that's a great idea is because in that case, there's nothing really stopping the highly developed roster for choosing the easy bracket and taking their rewards. What if, for example, the hard bracket rewards were Mr. Fantastic and Squirrel Girl and the easy bracket were 2* Mags and Cyclops? Especially with champion cycling making it worth it for even many higher level rosters to get 2* rewards.

I suppose I should finish the thought.

you are locked out of the other difficulties if you choose one.

beyond that the rewards are quite a bit different and mostly focused on progression.

where progression rewards from medium alone would be better than progression and 1st place in easy, and then on hard it would be better that progression and first place from medium ect.

so unless you want an easy go at things it would be much better to use your roster on the difficulty you were suited for.

end result would perhaps be progression for easy only gives you something like a 3 star token at the end instead of 25CP, the medium is about what we have now, and hard progression end gives you like 120 CP (or what ever a single 4 star cover costs)

Top Bottom