• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

zulux21

wow-I beat Miles with my severely underleveld Gwen.

That means I got every single cover this run!

I got a Deadpool cover-but luckily I have him Championed.

i've tried like 7 times. it should be possible with my 2/1/3 at level 131 just need a board with a lot of red.

still wish her stupid yellow move healed herself, it is such a crappy move, that I hope they buff as she could be fun if she didn't have a 2* level healing move on a 4 star hero.

it also would have been great if mine was 2/3/1 instead as her red iis quite important for damage, though her purple to get more stun also would have been good.

at least they already changed this fight. it seems likely that the big rebalance is just removing a cover from each move as miles here is 4/4/4 for this match.

Dalek

http://marvel.com/news/video_games/26738/piecing_together_marvel_puzzle_quest_luke_cage

One of the original bash brothers makes his second appearance in “Marvel Puzzle Quest.” D3 Go! Producer Josh Austin dropped by to talk about the new 4 star Luke Cage and all his new defensive capabilities!

Marvel.com: Luke Cage is one of my favorite characters in “Puzzle Quest.” He fits into almost any team comp just for his passive defense tile generation. Why’d he need an upgrade?

Josh Austin: With the excitement of the upcoming “Marvel’s Luke Cage” series [on Netflix], the addition of a new and stronger Luke Cage is an awesome way to celebrate the show and this 4 star variation brings a ton more defensive options to the table! What makes this ability even better is that he creates a defense tile each time the enemy uses a power and it doesn’t stop if the board already contains one friendly defense tile. The 4 star Luke Cage (Power Man) focuses more on defense against powers, dealing damage if the enemy doesn’t have any special tiles and strengthening special tiles. Maybe someday we can update Iron Fist too…

Marvel.com: The first iteration of Luke Cage is all about team fighting, keeping his friends alive and hitting harder when they’re around. What qualities did the team focus on with the 4 star Power Man?

Josh Austin: The new 4 star Luke Cage benefits most when the player uses teammates that create special tiles and/or if paired with characters that remove special tiles. His yellow for 8 AP will fortify a special tile and deal damage for each fortified friendly special tile on the board. This will come in handy for the player if they choose to use a hero that has a special ability that the player wants to keep on the board as long as possible. Also, whenever the enemy fires off a power, Luke Cage defends and creates a Black strength Protect tile.

Marvel.com: All right, hit us with his kit.

Josh Austin: Luke’s first ability is called Hero for Hire and costs 8 Yellow AP. Luke Cage is always ready to stand up for the little guy! He fortifies up to one friendly special tile, [and] then deals 472 damage for each Fortified friendly special tile on the board. If Iron Fist is an active ally, [Luke] creates a strength 43 Protect tile first.

His second ability is called The Defender and it’s a passive ability that costs 0 Black AP. Luke’s unbreakable skin deflects incoming attacks, bolstering his team’s defense. Whenever an enemy fires a power, creates a Black strength 44 Protect tile. If Luke is in front, he reduces a random enemy special tile by 37 (to a minimum of 1).
His third ability is called Buncha Fiddle-Faddle and it’s the most expensive at 13 Red AP. Luke doesn’t have time for all this nonsense. Give these knick-knack-paddy-whacks the what for! Deals 1076 damage, or 1721 damage if there are no enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles on the board.

Marvel.com: How is he most effective? What covers are you guys building on him?

Josh Austin: For me I choose 5/5/3 while testing him out to take advantage of his defensive abilities. You can also build him 5/3/5 which does the most damage if you pair him with special tile creators like Punisher, Nova, Ant-Man, Carnage, and Sam Wilson (Captain America). He goes well with Old Man Logan or Phoenix as well since they make a lot of Strike Tiles. Or there is 3/5/5 if you pair him with opposing special tile removal characters like Spider-Woman, Ant-Man, Howard the Duck, and/or Jean Grey.

Marvel.com: Any particular teammates that work well with Luke? Does he still have serious synergy with Iron Fist?

Josh Austin: My team up when testing Luke Cage was Jessica Jones and Iron Fist. Iron Fist has his passive Exquisite Technique that brings out a green attack tile along with the bonus for Luke’s Hero for Hire ability, and then you have Jessica’s Seeking Redemption coupled with Luke’s The Defender and Heroes for Hire which will have a ton of defense and damage dodging going on.

Iron Fist and Punisher make a good team with Luke Cage (Power Man) because of Danny’s natural synergy with Luke and gives black tiles to Punisher and gives this team the complete rainbow of AP.

Marvel.com: Anything else we need to know about Luke before he drops?

Josh Austin: Luke Cage is available starting on September 22 and can be earned in the Rocket and Groot event that will begin on the same date.

zulux21

so in the first wave of nerfs and buffs.

which will apperently happen each season.

the following characters are now nerfed.

No one.
really noone.
the last one is the same length as oldman logan :p

the characters getting a buff.

silver surfer level 450
cc6b9d26178c7a268988405755d4940b67d5d92d-t.png

2007e6d129ad0694aac3f8c714952ee63dae80ff-t.png

a2bfbf7eedff9308e8809363072a3c0931a914ec-t.png
so blue heals a little less, but costs 3 less.. and it allows you to choose what color you make charged tiles of (I don't know if you could do that previously as it isn't listed)
red deals a little more damage and makes an extra charge tile for the same cost
and black now does damage (8k of it) when the tile runs out.
chao -270

green costs one more and does a little more damage, though it also has a better chance of doing a good chunk of damage or if not does a little board shake.
his blue... much better now. creates a tile like SW and doing damage yes, granted it is 4 random tiles and not next to it so for that purpose it won't be amazing, but green is a good color for a lot of people. his old move rather sucked.
black - costs a little more but... heal a ton more yes. stupid requirement to use it anymore.. no. creates a bunch of charged tiles yes.

he looks quite usable now. though it will mostly depend on if his healing is true healing or not, which it sounds like it is.

zulux21

to slow, MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA :p

also it seems like they might not be nerfing anyone soon
First, an update - we’ve reviewed your feedback from last week’s message about our rebalance philosophy, and we’ve heard your concerns about nerfing existing characters. So with this release and for the time being, we’ll focus only on releasing updates to existing characters that increase that character’s power. We’ll be keeping an eye on how the competitive experience develops with these changes.

Triz

We also got some bonus from the dead pool event: two tokens and 3500 ISO... I actually pulled 4* Venom out of the vault with the token. Made me happy.

Dalek

We also got some bonus from the dead pool event: two tokens and 3500 ISO... I actually pulled 4* Venom out of the vault with the token. Made me happy.

Damn I haven't finished yet-I hope I get that. Was that for our Alliance? or the end of the season?

I did get the 4 star Venom progression award, plus with the CP I pulled yet another War Machine cover. I love the new progression in PVe.

zulux21

with no 3 star cyclops nerf being announced I decided to champ him despite only having one cover compared to 2 collosus and 3 punisher covers.

plus with no old man logan nerf I suppose I can use him a bit.

iron fist, plus 3 start cyclops plus oml works pretty well even with just his black and yellow.

IF places an attack tile and makes black to make strike tiles with OML
and OML takes all the damage for red/black/yellow tiles completely protecting 3 star cyclops who can use the red and yellow to do decent damage and cover team up tiles.

I mean I could use iron man or a few others, but I like making new teams from time to time. and the only person I have to really health pack from time to time is IF unless I am taking AOE damage.

if I could get OML red though that would be wonderful as then while firing the purple IF move to get black I would make extra strike tiles that would help make matches even faster.

I think the next character I am gonna champ will be doc OC. He is just really useful in the carnage event so I might as well champ him.

I mean in that event with carnage it is likely by the time you get 11 blue that move will auto kill anything with like 10k damage, and you will melt things by making more attack tiles with insult to injury.

he is a complete and utter bad ass against carnage or really anyone that places tons of special tiles on the board.

Spoit

with no 3 star cyclops nerf being announced I decided to champ him despite only having one cover compared to 2 collosus and 3 punisher covers.

plus with no old man logan nerf I suppose I can use him a bit.

iron fist, plus 3 start cyclops plus oml works pretty well even with just his black and yellow.

IF places an attack tile and makes black to make strike tiles with OML
and OML takes all the damage for red/black/yellow tiles completely protecting 3 star cyclops who can use the red and yellow to do decent damage and cover team up tiles.

I mean I could use iron man or a few others, but I like making new teams from time to time. and the only person I have to really health pack from time to time is IF unless I am taking AOE damage.

if I could get OML red though that would be wonderful as then while firing the purple IF move to get black I would make extra strike tiles that would help make matches even faster.

I dunno, maybe it's that my OML actually has a good number of black covers, but I like accelerating towards his black with SW better than using cyke for whatever. There was someone else I was using a lot during the gauntlet, but I can't remember for the life of me who it was

zulux21

I dunno, maybe it's that my OML actually has a good number of black covers, but I like accelerating towards his black with SW better than using cyke for whatever. There was someone else I was using a lot during the gauntlet, but I can't remember for the life of me who it was

I suppose that could work too. the problem for me is I only half pay attention while doing a lot of things, and I often end up collecting to much yellow thus I kind of like having someone with an active yellow power.

I also find destroying team up tiles quite satisfying. I mean I tend to use 3 star mags over 3 star cap for chaining powers with iron man and KK because 3 star mags can kill off the team up tiles. even though for DDQ having cycling abilities to heal and what not is likely better lol.

either way time for one last try with spider gwen. sadly despite pulling two 4* covers today, I didn't manage to get another red for her, so it hasn't gotten any easier.

basically I need a crap ton of red to have a chance :p

Spoit

Hmm thinking about it, it was probably either the boosted cmags or 4* cyke. Both of them are r/y/b, which has good color coverage with those 2

zulux21

so thinking about it, I am happy with the new shield level thing, though I really hope the higher levels come out soon and I can use them.

especially if they replace standards with elite like was originally implied as I am willing to do 3 clears on nodes some days.

but i mean the 4 star cover is a nice goal to work for, much lower than the original 25 CP

and if I don't need the 4 star cover (like this time) I can stop at 17k points if I want and still get 10 of the original 25CP.

we will have to see how many points I end up with clearing nodes tomorrow whether I care enough to work towards the last 15CP or not, I likely won't though, but that is fine, getting 10CP and 2 3 star covers isn't bad at all per PVE,

and needing only around half of the original progression to get a 4 star will be great when I need them and will help build up my 4 stars for deadpool so I can slowly collect 5 stars.

they have been going in a great direction recently, so ideally the anniversary next month is more like the first anniversary instead of the second.

with the better goals in reach I am more inclined to play the game more seriously, and doing so I just might be able to reach my goal of champing every 2/3 star and then finally move on to 4 stars.

at which point I really can't see me champing any 5 stars until I fully champ 4 stars as in general it just seems stupid to level up 5 stars.

if I leave them where they start while building up my 4 stars I can actually use 3/4/5 in PVE, if I level up my 5 stars it makes them basically determine my scaling and require I use them.

Spoit

I mean, championing 5*s implies you're actually able to get 13 (non-wasted) 5* covers, which was a crapshoot even back when there was only 3 of them in the pack

Malmorian

This tier 1 I jumped into accidentally is SO bad. Please be careful when choosing tiers for PvE. Enemies go up like, 2-3 levels per clear, and the prizes for each round are atrociously bad. GL friends

Spoit

This tier 1 I jumped into accidentally is SO bad. Please be careful when choosing tiers for PvE. Enemies go up like, 2-3 levels per clear, and the prizes for each round are atrociously bad. GL friends

Is the initial scaling at least (significantly) better?

zulux21

there was some new info posted today.

Here's new details from Demiurge regarding a few changes in the upcoming run of Meet Rocket & Groot:

"Changes to Rocket & Groot

• This Story event does not have S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels. Future runs of this event will have Clearance Levels.

• Starting in this event, we would like to better define the score to achieve progression rewards.
o The 3-Star Progression reward will take approximately two clears of each mission.
o The top Progression reward will take approximately four clears of each mission.
o We will be attempting something similar for S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels."

so it seems like scores might go up a bit because I believe it is 3 clears to get max progression on most things right now.

also anniversary stuff
Hi folks,

Season XXXII is coming up soon and we wanted to provide you with details on what to expect in this "Mini Season," as well as provide info on some changes to how defensive teams function. Read on for the highlights from Demiurge:

"Season 32 will have a bunch of updates and we'd like to give everyone the heads up on them. To make room for the Anniversary season, Season 32 will be around 10 days long. The score to achieve the Progression rewards has been adjusted accordingly.

S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels will also be coming to Versus events in Season 32. Fist Bump will be the first Versus event to have Clearance Levels. S.H.I.E.L.D. Simulator and the Season itself will also feature Clearance Levels.

Season 32 marks the start of our rebalancing initiative. After the Thursday daily patch, The Hulk (Totally Awesome) and Silver Surfer (Skyrider) will receive a character update. Go here to find more information on what those changes are: Season XXXII: Character Rebalances

The last change that is coming to Season 32 is a slight change to how defensive teams work. Starting with Fist Bump, your strongest team will remain your defensive team. If you win a match with a significantly weaker team, your defensive team will still be your last strongest team. We have also reduced the scores required to achieve progression rewards. We have also adjusted how points are gained and lost to reduce the amount of points lost from losing a battle or being attacked.

See below for more details:

• Mini Season
o From 9/22 8:00 PM ET to 10/3 3:00 AM ET.
o Scores to reach Progression rewards reduced.

• New types of events with S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels
o Fist Bump is the first Versus event.
o S.H.I.E.L.D. Simulator and Season 32 will also have Clearance Levels.

• Character Rebalances
o Hulk (Totally Awesome) does more damage and his powers are easier to activate.
o Silver Surfer (Skyrider)’s powers cost less AP and do more damage.

• Your defensive team will always be one of your strongest teams.
o If you win a battle with a much weaker team, your defensive team will be your last strongest team.

• We have adjusted how points are gained and lost. Players should lose less points from losses than before.

• Updated scores to earn Versus Progression Rewards
o 850 Progression Score - More Iso-8 and now set at 825 points.
o 900 Progression Score - Lowered to 850.
o 950 Progression Score - Removed (reward was merged with the 825 Progression score).
o 1000 Progression Score - Reduced to 900.
o 1300 Progression Score - Reduced to 1200"

Thank you.

lots of good stuff there. since it is a shortened season perhaps I will actually play some PVP and try to get the 10 pack :p

though I do agree that people being able to put in a big angry team and the wininifiting the rest of the way without that team ever being on defense could be an issue.

Spoit

I mean sure the 5* players pretty much OML and phoenix or GG all the time, but that seems like a pretty big step down for people who climb with a mediocre 5* (like saving health packs by having OML tank) and then put in an actually synergistic 4* team for "defense"

Triz

You definitely could not get max progression award with 3 clears with the last one. I always clear each node at least 4 times...And I had to do some hard core grinding after that to hit the 15 cp.
I don't even try for placement just the progression.

zulux21

You definitely could not get max progression award with 3 clears with the last one. I always clear each node at least 4 times...And I had to do some hard core grinding after that to hit the 15 cp.
I don't even try for placement just the progression.

yeah the last one was screwed up because it was 2 2day ones.

I think it's 3 clears on the 1 day nodes, but around 6 on the 2 day ones (aka 3 per day)

MiTYH

Damn they just killed cupcaking with that move. I love it!!

Okay, I've seen that term around, what the hell is cupcaking??

Also, I'm enjoying PVE with these better rewards. Ranked in top 200 in my slice, which is fine for the effort I put into this game. Free Luke Cage and CP is fine by me!

And got a shield rank up today, champ'd punisher and with my cover got me a black elecktra . And my daily login was another elecktra, putting her at a grand total of 3 covers. Some day I'll move well into 4star land, today was a good stepping stone

zulux21

Okay, I've seen that term around, what the hell is cupcaking??

CUPCAKING is where a player builds up their points with a powerful team and then wins a match with a low power team to make their defensive team that low level team.

they will typically then wait a few minutes to give their alliance mates and a few other people time to put them in their matches and then shield so that they all can get a lot of points off of them.

a good chunk of them also, if attacked before they shield, will spend thousands of iso to line up the person that attacked them multiple times to hit them repeatedly and often get their alliance mates to target attack the person as well.

in other thoughts got to pull a legendary today.
got a green quake.

she loves me so much.

I love how I have a 4 star character almost ready to be champed (she would be my 4th fully covered 4 star) and yet... she still hasn't been a DDQ character :/

much with how useful x23 can be in pve I need to decide if I want to level quake since she can be very useful against AOE enemy tiles.

zulux21

I dunno, even if pve she seems of limited usefulness. Compared to like, teen jean. Or even someone with reflexive passives like thing

yeah but I only have like 2 covers for them.

my choices for 4 stars to put iso into if I wanted to are

xforce
ant man
quake
x23.

Triz

Hit the end progression on PVE and redeemed 40 CP on 2 legendary tokens. One was Hulkbuster so I added to his Champion Levels. The Other was Kingpin, which maxed him at 13.

So the Question: Should I dump 250k ISO into him to max him out? Or save the ISO for other 4 stars I don't have 13 covers for.

Malmorian

Hit the end progression on PVE and redeemed 40 CP on 2 legendary tokens. One was Hulkbuster so I added to his Champion Levels. The Other was Kingpin, which maxed him at 13.

So the Question: Should I dump 250k ISO into him to max him out? Or save the ISO for other 4 stars I don't have 13 covers for.

While KP is good ( god i wish i could get even 1 black cover, currently 0/3/3 ) I think only works in a specific lineup like Hood. If you have a fuckload of iso sure, otherwise i'm sure there will be a better 4* to spend it on.

Spoit

While KP is good ( god i wish i could get even 1 black cover, currently 0/3/3 ) I think only works in a specific lineup like Hood. If you have a fuckload of iso sure, otherwise i'm sure there will be a better 4* to spend it on.

Yeah, he's okay, but in terms of 2nd tier 4*s, I'd probably suggest spending it on someone like cykes first, if you have the covers. I don't regret championing him with my windfall, since I switched between the yellow and purple quite frequently depending on the team comp....but there are better ones out there.

I dunno, even if pve she seems of limited usefulness. Compared to like, teen jean. Or even someone with reflexive passives like thing

The fact that she can negate Caltrops and Machine Gun make her worth champing to me in and of itself (though it's not like that's a decision that I'm going to have to make in the next 6 months). She's about as limited as, say, Ant-Man is, and I still consider him to be a pretty useful character.

Edit: And I'd argue that most of X-23's usefulness is simply tied to the fact that she's a true healer. Which I would argue matters more in PvP than it does in PvE, unless you're one of those people shooting for top 10 placement.

Spoit

The fact that she can negate Caltrops and Machine Gun make her worth champing to me in and of itself (though it's not like that's a decision that I'm going to have to make in the next 6 months). She's about as limited as, say, Ant-Man is, and I still consider him to be a pretty useful character.

Edit: And I'd argue that most of X-23's usefulness is simply tied to the fact that she's a true healer. Which I would argue matters more in PvP than it does in PvE, unless you're one of those people shooting for top 10 placement.

I dunno, in pve you can use targeted tile destroyer powers, like lazy cap or 4cykes. Machine gun smarts a bit, but it's the muscle strikes that kill ya.

And to be honest, her true healing doesn't look that great. My OML does that much every single turn, and he only has 1 cover. It's her purple that's a killer, 6 AP for a more than 10k trap tile? or like 7k and a 450 strike? That's crazy.

zulux21

so maybe I am missing something...
but I really am not impressed with the new luke cage.
I think the art is worse than the old one.
and in general if you redid his current moves in the 4 star space they would be better than what he has.

I think this event is mostly going to be a pass for me, might try to snipe a spot near the end, but I really don't care about getting him.

Spoit

so maybe I am missing something...
but I really am not impressed with the new luke cage.
I think the art is worse than the old one.
and in general if you redid his current moves in the 4 star space they would be better than what he has.

I think this event is mostly going to be a pass for me, might try to snipe a spot near the end, but I really don't care about getting him.

Yeah, I'm not really seeing it either. His yellow is too dependent on having... a falcon and someone who actually generates special tiles, leading to a very restricted team. And his red is strong, but....there are a lot of strong(er) reds out there that aren't as fiddly. Like...if you're running with falcap anyway. His black might be okay, but that's hardly worth taking him along, especially compared to tean jean (or redundant if you have 3* falcon).

He's just really really awkward, and you need to build a team around him to be okay, much less good

Yeah, I'm not really seeing it either. His yellow is too dependent on having... a falcon and someone who actually generates special tiles, leading to a very restricted team. And his red is strong, but....there are a lot of strong(er) reds out there that aren't as fiddly. Like...if you're running with falcap anyway. His black might be okay, but that's hardly worth taking him along, especially compared to tean jean (or redundant if you have 3* falcon).

He's just really really awkward, and you need to build a team around him to be okay, much less good

I'm guessing he'll make more sense when they introduce the 4* Iron Fist next year.

zulux21

I'm guessing he'll make more sense when they introduce the 4* Iron Fist next year.

i think part of it is the developers value defense... while in reality long drawn out matches are not good in this game because of how rewards are set up.

he seems like if you had a long drawn out match you could build up a crazy good defense... but you don't want that in general in the game as you need to complete stuff quickly in order to get points and place well.

Spoit

He's not even that great for defense. Loki or Team Jean's passives completely changes how you play against her, making you make suboptimal matches. Even falcap or thing have a fairly cheap defense tile mechanism that pretty much makes match damage irrelevant and takes a hell of an edge off of non-nuke active powers

Clearance Level PvP rewards are officially out, and outside of ISO they're a downgrade from what we had before, for the most part. For 3 day PvPs at CL7, only top 50 get 3* covers in placement (2 3* covers for top 50, 2 2* covers for top 100), and the top progression reward is 15CP instead of 25 (though there's rumors that this may be a bug). Shield Sim rewards are better, though, with the rewards starting with 2* instead of 1*, and having 9 2* covers in addition to the 4 3*.

zulux21

Clearance Level PvP rewards are officially out, and outside of ISO they're a downgrade from what we had before, for the most part. For 3 day PvPs at CL7, only top 50 get 3* covers in placement (2 3* covers for top 50, 2 2* covers for top 100), and the top progression reward is 15CP instead of 25 (though there's rumors that this may be a bug). Shield Sim rewards are better, though, with the rewards starting with 2* instead of 1*, and having 9 2* covers in addition to the 4 3*.

yeah can't figure out why they thought it was a good idea to tone down the progression rewards from pvp.

even if the other stuff overall gives slightly better rewards, they can't honestly think they have a perfect balance a little extra would break everything, so why risk the backlash.

Dalek

Tommorow will be my first daily reward of 50CP.

Looking forward to getting 4 duplicate covers for non-championed 4 stars.

Top Bottom