• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Dalek

Ugh. Done. I hate the thought of wasting 270k ISO but the thought of tossing 4* covers is worse!

Who knows, maybe they will make X Force decent again one day...

I hate it too. The pains of being in 4 star world. I just championed Star-Lord, should have Mr. Fantastic championed in a few days. After that I have Thing, Invisible Woman and TA Hulk.

I'd much rather champion others but it's how the covers fall. I keep getting Thing and IW so I might as well champion. My Carnage for example has 5 red covers and 3 and 4 in the other colors. I've probably received 6 duplicate red covers for him that have to be sold because the game just wont let me max him out.

zulux21

I hate it too. The pains of being in 4 star world. I just championed Star-Lord, should have Mr. Fantastic championed in a few days. After that I have Thing, Invisible Woman and TA Hulk.

I'd much rather champion others but it's how the covers fall. I keep getting Thing and IW so I might as well champion. My Carnage for example has 5 red covers and 3 and 4 in the other colors. I've probably received 6 duplicate red covers for him that have to be sold because the game just wont let me max him out.

i believe I will start champing 4 stars in early 2017

9 more 3 stars to go I think.
then I will move onto my 4 stars.

to be fair I only have 2 useful 4 stars that can be champed right now anyways. quake and x23 lol

i believe I will start champing 4 stars in early 2017

9 more 3 stars to go I think.
then I will move onto my 4 stars.

to be fair I only have 2 useful 4 stars that can be champed right now anyways. quake and x23 lol

I've got 2 left that I care about (Psylocke and Cyclops), and then the 2 that I don't give a shit about (Sentry and Rags). After I get the first 2 done, I'll probably use the ISO to level up all my 4 stars to the highest between "win their Crash" level and where my top 10 3* characters are (which is about 180 right now). Not champing 4* until I can get a few of them done at the same time, including one good one (right now, my Peggy is sitting at 11 covers so she's likely to be the good one). In other words, I'm not screwing up my PvE scaling just for the sake of not throwing away a 4* cover.

zulux21

I've got 2 left that I care about (Psylocke and Cyclops), and then the 2 that I don't give a shit about (Sentry and Rags). After I get the first 2 done, I'll probably use the ISO to level up all my 4 stars to the highest between "win their Crash" level and where my top 10 3* characters are (which is about 180 right now). Not champing 4* until I can get a few of them done at the same time, including one good one (right now, my Peggy is sitting at 11 covers so she's likely to be the good one). In other words, I'm not screwing up my PvE scaling just for the sake of not throwing away a 4* cover.

I have a full page of 5 stars.... some champ 4 stars isn't going to change much even if my 5 stars haven't been leveled at all.

zulux21

That's until your champ 4* is boosted to 370.

*shrugs* the 4 stars I am willing to champ are the types that can win on their own anyways :p

I mean we will see, as I said I am a few months out from moving onto 4 stars.
need to finish all my 3 stars first.

which at around 5k iso a day will take a while :p

Spoit

Man I wish I had that kind of ISO flow, to waste about a million on 4*s that are arguably worse than a fair number of 3*s. No matter how bad it stings I can't really ever see a point where I'd waste ISO on people like mr fantastic and IW. At least thing and TA hulk have....theoretical niches

Dalek

Man I wish I had that kind of ISO flow, to waste about a million on 4*s that are arguably worse than a fair number of 3*s. No matter how bad it stings I can't really ever see a point where I'd waste ISO on people like mr fantastic and IW. At least thing and TA hulk have....theoretical niches

The way I see it-this game is now a 5* game. Everyone I play against has one leveled 5 stars it seems. So I'm doing everything I can to try to earn as many LTs as I can to get a decent 5 star.

Just champed Bullseye, 2 more Reds & I can champ Carol which will be my final 2 star. 1 more Green or Red & a shitload of ISO and Patch will be my 1st 3* champ.

Dalek

FINALLY got another blue Ant-Man cover after tons of duplicate covers. He's finally fully covered for me. Maybe I'll Champion him next instead of Thing.

zulux21

Hi, all.

We've got some update news regarding S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels and Ranks. Here's Anthony at Demiurge to tell you about it:

"Starting with the Enemy of the State Story Event, S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Level 8 will be available in all Story Events. S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Level 8 will be available in Versus Events starting with the first offseason event after the Power Gem Season has concluded. The minimum level to enter S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Level 8 is S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank 52.

Starting with the Daily patch on Wednesday, the maximum S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank you can achieve will be 125 (up from 100). The amount of Iso-8 given when reaching S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank 100 has been decreased from 100,000 Iso-8 to 52,500 Iso-8, and S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank 125 now has that increased Iso-8 reward. All players who have already achieved S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank 100 will get to keep the increased Iso-8 for that level."

Thank you!

yay shield clearence level 8 though at the rank jump I am not sure if I will be able to use rank 9 when it comes out as I am only 59 or so.

Triz

That feeling when you champ 2 of your 2 stars because you were sitting on 5 covers for them, then spend 20 CP and pull the last cover needed for your favorite character (4* Deadpool) and don't have the ISO to pump into him.

Spoit

So what's different with level 8? All I'm seeing is that the 4* cover requires a pretty obnoxious level of grinding, so even though that's the only cover I need for cykes, I'm probably not going to bother

So what's different with level 8? All I'm seeing is that the 4* cover requires a pretty obnoxious level of grinding, so even though that's the only cover I need for cykes, I'm probably not going to bother

A little bit more ISO, a little bit more HP, moving the guaranteed 4* cover to top 10 (which, yes, does require a lot of grinding), and the biggest thing is that the 3* covers extend down to top 200 now instead of just top 50. If you don't care about your 3*, it's not a big difference. But as someone who has basically just finished leveling their 3* and is at Shield Rank 57, I'd say that it's about right for the Shield Rank they have it pegged at (52).

Spoit

A little bit more ISO, a little bit more HP, moving the guaranteed 4* cover to top 10 (which, yes, does require a lot of grinding), and the biggest thing is that the 3* covers extend down to top 200 now instead of just top 50. If you don't care about your 3*, it's not a big difference. But as someone who has basically just finished leveling their 3* and is at Shield Rank 57, I'd say that it's about right for the Shield Rank they have it pegged at (52).

I'm pretty sure the 4* is at top 10 right now? Because I decided to grind for it this time, rather than bothering with EotS, which looks like at least 4 days worth of grinding

Dalek

I don't know what is up-but ever since Luke Cage was introduced nearly all my Legendary Tokens have been Luke Cage. He's already at 2/1/4 for me.

I'm pretty sure the 4* is at top 10 right now? Because I decided to grind for it this time, rather than bothering with EotS, which looks like at least 4 days worth of grinding

My bad, it's a second cover for top 10. I forgot that they changed CL7 to top 10 a while back.

Edit: And the thing about EOTS is that it's filled with wave nodes, which give out a ton of points. I think they said they want the 4 star cover to be reachable with two clears each day, and even though the amount of points seem high that's probably where it is.

Triz

I don't know what is up-but ever since Luke Cage was introduced nearly all my Legendary Tokens have been Luke Cage. He's already at 2/1/4 for me.
I have not had this problem, But I wish it was more like that for me. Would speed progression quite a bit.

zulux21

there isn't that much.

you get like 500 iso and 50hp more for progression.

most of the boost is to placement rewards where more 4 star covers are given to the top players.

in general... it's not very exciting at all.

zulux21

I have not had this problem, But I wish it was more like that for me. Would speed progression quite a bit.

I had it with quake.

I am about to get a blue cover from daily rewards that I have to sell for 1k iso because she is already fully covered >.<:

Not bad! I don't think I even have a single cover for him yet.

I'm worried about running out of ISO after having to champ XFarce so I'm sitting on all my tokens and CP until I get back up above 750k. I hate the thought of not being in a position to take advantage of every 4* and up cover.

zulux21

It's strangely comforting to know that even the pro-est pros still have 3*s looking for covers.

Today I FINALLY got my my FIRST Doctor Doom purple lmao
oh... I thought you were talking about the 4 star version >.> edit: just checked he was... so then we were talking about the 4 star version :p

no I am not missing any 3 stars lol.

though a 3 star mags cover will still be great as it will get me a prof x cover and get my sad version of wininfite up from 1ap per 5 match to 2ap.

but yeah... only 3 stars I don't have champed are.
YMVpUIY.png

being able to sort is nice :p

i've been making decent progress on 4 stars even.

of the 40 4 stars I have.
5 could be champed (xforce, ant man, dino, quake, x23)
6 are missing a single power (as in have at least 2 colors of covers at any amount)
and 4 are missing 2 powers (in this case have only 1 cover)

I am missing gwenpool as the only 4 star I am missing now.

Ponn

Banned
Hey everyone, I know its been awhile since I posted in here. I dropped playing awhile when I was going through a pretty rough patch. I've picked it up again the last month though. I need some advice. I'm ashamed to admit i've been spending some money on this damn game. i get enticed by bonus amazon coins you get back and then on top of that percentage saving and well, blah blah you know. I need to stop buying spots though. I have trouble controlling my OCD and i need stop thinking I need every character in the game. It's hard because it pisses me off when I don't have a character to do the extra missions in story mode or the Deadpool daily. Then there are the characters I just straight up want in my roster no matter how horrible they are. Anyways here is my current roster and I was wondering if there are any I should or am able to cut

Iron Man mark XLVI blue power - I'm not cutting him, I lucked out and got him near the beginning and hes been my powerhouse trump card.

Black Widow Natasha Romanoff 5 star with black power - similar case here, her and my 5 star Iron Man have made my life easier (EXCEPT for versus mode which is a nightmare for matchmaking)

Wolverine Astonishing 2 star Championed
Sam Wilson falcon 3 star, almost maxed
Cyclops Uncanny 3 start 5 red, 3 yellow, 3 blue
Daken Classic 3 star 2 purple, 5 black, 3 blue
Storm classic 2 star, championed
Thor Marvel Now 2 star championed
Captain Marvel ms Marvel 2 star, championed
Black Widow original 2 star, championed
Hawkeye Modern 2 star championed
Human Torch classic 3 star, 3 red, 5 black, 1 green
Human Torch 2 star championed
She Hulk 3 star, 5 blue, 1 green, 3 red
Magneto Marvel Now 2 star, championed
Steve Rogers Captain 2 star, championed
Storm Mowhawk 3 star, 3 green, 4 yellow, 2 black
Captain Marvel Modern 3 star, 2 red, 3 black, 4 yellow
Spider-Woman 4 star, 1 black, 2 purple, 2 red
rocket and Groot 3 star, 4 yellow, 3 green, 1 blue
Luke Cage Hero for Hire 3 star, 4 yellow, 2 red, 2 black
Deadpool Xforce 4 star, 2 red, 1 black
Mystique 3 star, 3 purple, 3 blue, 1 black
Devil Dinosaur 4 star, 1 red, 2 purple
Doctor Doom classic 3 star, 3 black, 3 blue
Magneto Classic 3 star 2 yellow, 3 red, 2 blue
Iron Fist 3 star, 3 purple, 3 black
Ghost Rider 4 star, 2 green
Black Panther 3 star, 3 yellow, 1 blue, 2 black
Ms, Marvel Kamala Khan 3 star, 1 yellow, 3 purple, 2 green
Deadpool 3 star, 1 red, 3 purple, 2 black
Wolverine Patch 3 star, 3 green, 1 red, 2 yellow
Steve Rogers super soldier 3 star, 2 yellow, 2 red, 2 blue
Howard Duck, 4 star, 1 green, 1 blue
Blade Modern 4 star, 1 green, 1 black
Iceman 4 star 1 green, 1 purple
Luke Cage 4 star 1 yellow, 1 black
Moon knight 4 star, 1 purple, 1 green
Quake 4 star, 1 yellow, 1 blue
Ant-Man 4 star, 1 blue
Drax 4 star, 1 black
Miles Morales 4 star, 1 red
Jean Grey 4 star, 1 blue
Venom 4 star, 1 black
Gamora 3 star, 3 green 1 red
X-23 4 star, 1 green
Spider-Man 3 star, 2 yellow, 1 blue, 2 purple
Squirrel Girl 3 star, 3 yellow, 1 purple
Colossus 3 star, 3 yellow
Doctor Octopus 3 star, 1 blue, 2 black, 1 green
Psylocke 3 star, 3 red
Punisher 3 star, 1 black, 2 green, 1 red
Thor Modern 3 star, 2 red, 1 yellow, 1 green
The Hood 3 star, 1 blue, 2 black
Bullseye 3 star, 1 purple, 2 black
Iron Man 1 star maxed
Spider-Man 1 star maxed
Juggernaut 1 star maxed
Black Widow Grey suit 3 star, 1 green, 1 purple
Beast 3 star, 1 blue, 1 green
Iron Man 3 star, 1 red, 1 yellow
Hulk 3 star, 1 green, 1 red
Scarlet Witch 3 star, 1 green

Whew...yea, 63 spots

The ones I have waiting right now are
3 Loki 3 star cards, 2 black, 1 purple
Nova 4 star 1 red
Black Bolt 5 star 1 black
Peggy Carter 4 star 1 red

I'm also probably going to finish the current story mode high ranked so I will have some Quicksilver cards soon as well.

The ones i'm considering dropping are Gamora, Drax Iron Man 3 star, Psylocke, Scarlet Witch and Bullseye 3 star. I don't care about Devil Dinosaur, Howard Duck or Quake but I see them popping up as required and being hard to get later. So I guess i'm looking for feeback, should I drop any of them, just get more spots? I'm still hunting for a Gwenpool and Spider-Gwen because i'm a sucker for those characters.

I also hate my alliance. I just picked one so I could join an event but they are wortheless and do nothing and are leeching of my VIP renews and purchases. If Gaf gets an opening I would like in. I play everyday. Thanks in advance.

Dalek

I know this isn't the advice you're looking for - but outside of 1 star characters and a few 2 stars it's really best to have every character rostered. With PVP, the 3 stars rotate so when Ms. Marvel's comes up for example you need a high level Ms. Marvel. I only have Juggernaut and Modern Black Widow for my 1 stars. I tied getting rid of Bullseye and Thor for 2 stars, but every now and then they're needed for nodes in PVE, so it's best to keep them rostered.

The 5 stars are so rare though that it would pain me to say to throw it away.

Don't feel shame in buying slots, I've done the same thing. This is a marathon game-not a sprint. You just make really slow progress. Once you resign yourself to that fact a lot of the stress will fade away.

Just enjoy it:play it daily-
* always do DDQ,
* always try to get to at least 400 in each PVP
*Try to earn the CP rewards and 4* progression awards in PVE.

If you make these three things your immediate goals, instead of fretting about what characters you have-you'll eventually be at a place where you're comfortable and the rewards are coming in at a nice pace.

It's the slow drip of ISO that really hurts in this game. With so many characters to level up you need tons of it.

zulux21

The ones i'm considering dropping are Gamora, Drax Iron Man 3 star, Psylocke, Scarlet Witch and Bullseye 3 star. I don't care about Devil Dinosaur, Howard Duck or Quake but I see them popping up as required and being hard to get later. So I guess i'm looking for feeback, should I drop any of them, just get more spots? I'm still hunting for a Gwenpool and Spider-Gwen because i'm a sucker for those characters.

I also hate my alliance. I just picked one so I could join an event but they are wortheless and do nothing and are leeching of my VIP renews and purchases. If Gaf gets an opening I would like in. I play everyday. Thanks in advance.
I'm far to lazy to read through your characters and give you in depth advice right now.

but DO NOT i repeat DO NOT!!!!! get rid of iron man 3 star or scarlet witch as they are two of the most useful 3 stars in the game and work fairly well in 4 star land as well.

but yeah throw away devil he will only be used during anniversary. and howard is only used during random duck seasons so he isn't all that important either.

personally I wouldn't really recommend selling off any 3 star as they are worth 2750 iso every 40 days (2k for finishing deadpool plus 500 for their cover and 250 for the token) I wouldn't spend any HP on tokens at all, and focus only on roster spots as it's not going to get better there.

I would also recommend stockpiling your tacos until there is a set of characters you like. not only does that increase your odds of raising those characters faster, but when you redeem 40 tokens your odds of hitting at least a single HP reward are quite a bit better than when you redeem just 10 tokens in a cycle.

if I am bored later I might give more in depth advice... sadly I am stupid busy for the next 4 days or so and thus just don't have time right now as I need to prep dinner and then start basically only working, or doing activities with friends.

Do not sell Scarlet Witch or Iron Man 3 star. Sell all of your 1 stars except either Jug or IM. You only need one 1 star. You'll want to roster all of those in your queue.

Dalek

Yeah I somehow missed that. IM40 and Scarlett Witch are arguably the 2 most useful 3 star characters because of their AP generation for other characters.

Ponn

Banned
Ok, good advice, thank you all. I guess that confirms that its not just my OCD at play but for once it was right to try and keep everyone. I save my tokens for spots but sometimes I just can't get enough in time before a character is about to expire and i'm compelled to hit that buy button. I have been using tacos as soon as I get them though so thats good advice to hold on to them.

Ok, good advice, thank you all. I guess that confirms that its not just my OCD at play but for once it was right to try and keep everyone. I save my tokens for spots but sometimes I just can't get enough in time before a character is about to expire and i'm compelled to hit that buy button. I have been using tacos as soon as I get them though so thats good advice to hold on to them.

My GAF worlds are colliding! Glad you are feeling well enough to play regularly. Don't be ashamed of spending real money either. I am probably about $130 in over my thousand plus days. I don't regret it.

Without reviewing your entire roster, do what you are doing and follow the advice above. Hammer through the PVEs, do the DD and stockpile any legendary tokens or CP you earn so you aren't faced with dumping valuable cards with no slots or ISO.

Do not ditch IM40 or SW. Seriously-they are great.

Edit: and my fears have come true. Trained my gsbw that earned a 4* Fury and I had to champ him. Colossus, Xfarce and Fury in one week have drained my reserves.

Triz

heh ended up getting cyclops from the enemy vault.

this is just sad looking

I wonder how many red or blue covers I will have to sell before I can even think about champing him :p

Looks like my Jean Gray with 5/1/5 Ive pulled so many dupes of purple and Green, I just need Blues :(

zulux21

Looks like my Jean Gray with 5/1/5 Ive pulled so many dupes of purple and Green, I just need Blues :(

on the plus side for me... the one i am missing is yellow which is very very very usable by iron man 3 star instead.

thus... maybe I will use him more as he seems like a good person to filter red and blue to

zulux21

Honestly my advice for your roster? RUN!

As far and as fast away from this game as you can. As quickly as you can.

to be fair the game is in general in the best shape it's been for a long time.

the only huge downside is the number of characters that you can randomly get, but even then earning HP is easier than ever.

it is at least in good enough shape that I am currently throwing away $10 a month to them for VIP even though it isn't really worth it :p

i put enough time into the game I might as well support them.

there are still some issues, but the recent changes in general have been good, and going in a good direction.

the only major issue is the character releases which will likely require them to move onto marvel puzzle quest 2 someday as they are going to bloat the roster to far for a number of new players.

either way isn't an issue for me though as I am earning HP at a faster than 1k every 2 weeks rate needed for the releases thanks to the new shield levels motivating me to do events more.

it's nice to actually get stuff to advance your roster without worrying about placement.

zulux21

5000 ISO is nice, but mine has a Ghost Rider black in there. I actually have enough HP to buy the vault out, so I have to decide if that's something I want to do here.

will you need any slots soon?

I mean it's not a great vault, but at the same time it's not far off from a 1 to 1 trade for HP to ISO if you bought it (which is always a horrible idea but still)

Dalek

5000 ISO is nice, but mine has a Ghost Rider black in there. I actually have enough HP to buy the vault out, so I have to decide if that's something I want to do here.

Yeah I saw him-but I have 5 already in Ghost Rider. The only other treasure was a 4 star Blade.

will you need any slots soon?

I mean it's not a great vault, but at the same time it's not far off from a 1 to 1 trade for HP to ISO if you bought it (which is always a horrible idea but still)

I'm at 102 slots and have 2 2* champs I can sell if necessary. I'm good on slots.

I ended up buying a 10 pack and getting that GR black. So I'm good.

Top Bottom