• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Triz

I just got lucky with another Legendary pull and my 5* Black Widow is now 2 purple (an extremely useful power, deals dmg and removes multiple special enemy tiles), 3 black and 1 red. I want to level her but all my ISO keeps going to level up up 3 and 4* quickly so I can champion before their extra covers expire.

I also used my first Deadpool hit them with all the whales option. I had to see what it did and i'm glad I did, I chuckled.

Don't level your 5 stars If you are still leveling 3 and 4 stars. Your scaling will get completely screwed.

Blank!

It really is a game changer. I have rolled with a lot of teams for the 4-wave DD but none have made it so easy.

I've never found the 4-wave DD to actually be hard. The ultron's 1st wave is probably the hardest, but with any decent resource management the rest of the waves almost don't matter anyway. You certainly don't need 4* heroes to breeze thru it.

I've never found the 4-wave DD to actually be hard. The ultron's 1st wave is probably the hardest, but with any decent resource management the rest of the waves almost don't matter anyway. You certainly don't need 4* heroes to breeze thru it.

Agreed-which just serves to highlight how powerful the aforementioned team is. Midway through wave 1 you can literally complete all waves with nothing but specials.

zulux21

Agreed-which just serves to highlight how powerful the aforementioned team is. Midway through wave 1 you can literally complete all waves with nothing but specials.

I usually can do that with
4 star cyclops
3 star iron man
and Kamala Khan.

get one double battery fired off and you are good :p

edit: I am quite happy I put 60cp into strage.

he makes this heroic actually fun to play.

Dalek

FINALLY pulled another OML. but it was a black cover so he's now 3/0/3. Still no yellow so he can't heal.

This Heroic PVE has been a total breeze with a boosted Doctor Strange.

Triz

FINALLY pulled another OML. but it was a black cover so he's now 3/0/3. Still no yellow so he can't heal.

This Heroic PVE has been a total breeze with a boosted Doctor Strange.
Try boosted Kingpin, Deadpool, Nick Fury. First time I had all 3 4* boosted and maxed.

zulux21

got a purple iceman for my lady thor fight.

sadly I already have 5 of those so I decided to just roster a second one for now so when I get a second one I can get alittle bonus iso

Triz

Spent 50g on the 4 star vault and actually pulled the lady Thor. Then beat Rag, and with that token, Pulled a Gwenpool (she was the only 4 star I didn't have.) And finally my daily reward was a Green War Machine. Three 4 stars in a day is a good feeling.

These Titan fights always feel rigged. Doesn't help that it seems like the fights are designed to be thematically consistent, instead of making fun mechanical matchups. Lady Thor's yellow is useless in this fight, and her abilities don't do much damage to counter his constant self heals.

Triz

These Titan fights always feel rigged. Doesn't help that it seems like the fights are designed to be thematically consistent, instead of making fun mechanical matchups. Lady Thor's yellow is useless in this fight, and her abilities don't do much damage to counter his constant self heals.

Well her red is boosted by charge tiles which he creates as well. So I do see somewhat of a theme.

zulux21

let him heal?

her moves are pretty cheap, just save up enough to fire off blue and red a few times. start with blue and attempt to collect more blue while he is stunned, once you run out of that just rapidly fire off red. as long as she is decently covered it should kill him.

if you aren't decently covered just really really hope that he doesn't get much blue or red.

Dalek

Yes the goal is to build up enough yellow and blue to make charge tiles and then unleash red. Charge tiles multiply reds power.

let him heal?

her moves are pretty cheap, just save up enough to fire off blue and red a few times. start with blue and attempt to collect more blue while he is stunned, once you run out of that just rapidly fire off red. as long as she is decently covered it should kill him.

if you aren't decently covered just really really hope that he doesn't get much blue or red.

I think I'm 1-2-2. So not too covered, but she is one of my more well rounded 4*'s. The the game is just throwing red and blues at him every turn. He eats up a blue and all I can get is black or purple. Match that, then it creates a combo for him that gives him blue. I've probably attempted this fight 10 times now and it always plays out the same.

I've won with worse heroes though so I'm still trying. Just hope at some point this game will finally give me a good board. But it is frustrating that I have 2 star heroes that do more damage, and that this fight leaves one of her abilities useless.

Yes the goal is to build up enough yellow and blue to make charge tiles and then unleash red. Charge tiles multiply reds power.

How would yellow generate any charge tiles? There's no strike or defense on this fight. Or am I missing something?

zulux21

well yellow doesn't really do much in that regard since rags doesn't place tiles.

I think I'm 1-2-2. So not too covered, but she is one of my more well rounded 4*'s. The the game is just throwing red and blues at him every turn. He eats up a blue and all I can get is black or purple. Match that, then it creates a combo for him that gives him blue. I've probably attempted this fight 10 times now and it always plays out the same.

I've won with worse heroes though so I'm still trying. Just hope at some point this game will finally give me a good board. But it is frustrating that I have 2 star heroes that do more damage, and that this fight leaves one of her abilities useless.

How would yellow generate any charge tiles? There's no strike or defense on this fight. Or am I missing something?

sadly a number of the clash leaves a character with a useless move.

stupid spidergwen should heal herself though.... but that is something different that is just compounded when she has hers lol.

Dalek

well yellow doesn't really do much in that regard since rags doesn't place tiles.

sadly a number of the clash leaves a character with a useless move.

stupid spidergwen should heal herself though.... but that is something different that is just compounded when she has hers lol.

Ah yes I forget Rags doesn't place tiles. I just use Thor all the time so I'm used to it.

and yes Gwen's is going to suck in 5 days. Will most likely be the first I've lost in a real long time.

zulux21

Ah yes I forget Rags doesn't place tiles. I just use Thor all the time so I'm used to it.

and yes Gwen's is going to suck in 5 days. Will most likely be the first I've lost in a real long time.

i didn't even realize she was next... I was still annoyed from last time, and annoyed in general she doesn't heal herself.

I still don't get why she doesn't heal herself @_@

Spoit

I'm still debating if I want to spend all 150 tacos I have to try for the Dr strange covers. If it was on the other taco rotation (where I have 300+), it would have been a no brainer

The trick to Gwen's Clash is that you shouldn't be collecting yellow in the first place. You want as many web tiles on the board as possible to make your red cheaper, so you should specifically be letting miles collect green because he puts down more webs than you can with yellow. For me, it helps that I lucked into 5 red (1/5/2 at the moment), so my red hits like a ton of bricks and I basically just need to collect enough to fire it twice.

To be fair, this fight is about mechanical consistency as much as thematic (you share 2 colors, and he puts out charge tiles which help you). Outside of that, I think they actually go for mechanical consistency a decent amount with the Clashes, with some of the hard counters (Carnage-Doc Oc, FalCap - Cap Marvel, Hulk/Hulkbuster), soft counters (X-23/Elektra) and characters with mechanical overlaps (Gwen/Miles).

zulux21

The trick to Gwen's Clash is that you shouldn't be collecting yellow in the first place. You want as many web tiles on the board as possible to make your red cheaper, so you should specifically be letting miles collect green because he puts down more webs than you can with yellow. For me, it helps that I lucked into 5 red (1/5/2 at the moment), so my red hits like a ton of bricks and I basically just need to collect enough to fire it twice.).

oh yeah it's against miles.

I have 0% chance to beat the updated him with my 3/2/4 spidergwen so I likely wont' try.

I mean on the plus side he likely won't hit me with surprise, but he is going to collect a ton of AP now that all web titles give him one when he matches them instead of getting one when he made a match with multiple.

oh yeah it's against miles.

I have 0% chance to beat the updated him with my 3/2/4 spidergwen so I likely wont' try.

I mean on the plus side he likely won't hit me with surprise, but he is going to collect a ton of AP now that all web titles give him one when he matches them instead of getting one when he made a match with multiple.

Yeah, a 4/2/4 and you could probably stun your way through it, but at 3/2/4 you'd have to get lucky with both red and purple.

I'm still debating if I want to spend all 150 tacos I have to try for the Dr strange covers. If it was on the other taco rotation (where I have 300+), it would have been a no brainer

Do you pull until you get a specific draw in the first couple of columns or just until you land on any of them and then put it to bed until you collect more?

Spoit

Do you pull until you get a specific draw in the first couple of columns or just until you land on any of them and then put it to bed until you collect more?

? No I meant burning all of the tokens to get as many strange covers as I can. I can't max him with the ones in the vault anyway

? No I meant burning all of the tokens to get as many strange covers as I can. I can't max him with the ones in the vault anyway

I did a poor job of explaining my question. I was asking if you burn tokens until you hit one or two of the high level items in a vault, or if you shoot for specifics. It sounds like you're going to do it until you get all of the available Strange covers.

zulux21

Thanos is another 5/3 star split..

It’s a Black AP Passive that activates when Thanos downs an enemy, causing him to stun all characters except Thanos—allies and enemies—and then deals damage to all characters, a set amount to enemies and half that to his allies. The 3-Star Thanos Court Death power deals the same amount of damage to both enemies and allies.

that sounds rather shitty.

His second ability, Infinite Power, shows everyone just how invulnerable, immortal, and nigh all-powerful Thanos is as he bends his foes to his will. This power costs 8 Purple AP and creates a 3-turn Purple Countdown tile. While the tile is on the board, Thanos deals an extra 15% match damage and no tiles may be destroyed or changed except by Thanos; tiles may still be matched away. The 3-Star Thanos version of Infinite Power gives Thanos an extra 150% match damage which is a lot higher than the 5-Star match damage, but 3-Star Thanos doesn’t get the added board control that 5-Star Thanos has.

also doesn't sound very exciting

His final power is called Come and Get Me. Thanos stands against the tide of his enemies before unleashing his wrath. This power costs 12 Green AP and places a 4-turn countdown tile that moves Thanos to the front of the team at the end of his turn. When the Countdown tile goes off, it causes damage to the entire enemy team. This ability is similar for both 3 and 5-Star variants.

uh.... unless the power numbers are super crazy thanos seems rather crappy.

the rest sounds decent though
Marvel.com: So on top of some awesome new characters we also have some Thanos-themed holiday fun ahead of us. What exactly can we look forward to?

Josh Austin: So much stuff for the holidays! We have the Crash of the Mad Titan event, which is a special version of Deadpool’s Daily Quest that has five pins with rewards and a Crash Pin featuring Thanos as the enemy for five days. Each day has a unique group of allowed characters including Guardians of the Galaxy, Inhumans, Villains, etc., with plenty of Thanos-themed quests. This event will include a special Thanos Vault for the duration with tons of great stuff! And ring in the New Year on January 1 with a new Thanos Versus Tournament, Behold Thanos.

Marvel.com: Is there anything else we need to know?

Josh Austin: Along with this Thanos event, there will be a 30% bonus sales for Iso-8 and Hero Points between December 20 and 26, a special holiday vault (featuring 80 items) from December 22 [to] January 1 attached to certain events, double Iso-8 rewards will be given in the upcoming Galactus Hungers (December 22), Crash of the Mad Titan (December 22), Naughty or Nice (December 22) and Unstable Iso-8 (December 25).

edit:
in other news, it sounds like 3 star mag's red and 3 star storm's yellow are now both broken and won't work at all.

zulux21

I have hella characters to level/champion, so I'm excited for double iso.

I have 4 left before I stop caring I think :p (well plus what ever new 3 stars they release. I wonder how long until they start making 3 star versions of current 5 star characters.)

after that it will be the long climb to 10mil iso or so before i start champing 4 stars lol.

MiTYH

Man, I'm never going to roster all these characters. I'm still missing about 3-4 3-stars, and now another comes along. At least they add them to the DDQ rotation

Malmorian

Only 3 more 3*'s to champ, SG, Doc Oc and Sentry. I have the Iso ( and the cover ) to champ SG, but I never use her...and I have no use for Sentry. Question is, hold out for the Doc, or just go with SG regardless?

zulux21

Only 3 more 3*'s to champ, SG, Doc Oc and Sentry. I have the Iso ( and the cover ) to champ SG, but I never use her...and I have no use for Sentry. Question is, hold out for the Doc, or just go with SG regardless?

Doc Oc is amazing against carnage (one of the PVE events), I haven't a clue why he is one of the last ones you have to champ :p

zulux21

Thanos sounds like hot garbage. Those numbers better be crazy.

5* at one cover black
1g6uzaL.png

3* at 5 cover black

not sure what level, but still complete and utter garbage. still curious if "when you down an enemy" doesn't match what we were told and it is in fact when an enemy drops instead of when he kills them, which would be far more useful. especially if that is at level 70 instead of 166 (if it is 166 then strange rolls all over him, if at level 166 it is around 3 times the damage as usual and actually does 6k...) he could be a useful nuke.

zulux21

yay finally

I only spent 60... or was it 80 CP.. or was it 100...

can't remember if I bought 3,4, or 5 covers lol

either way... quite happy to have a champ one so I can have his blue move upped as well as he is a beast in PVE.

got a red spiderwoman cover for my legendary.

but I suppose my CP will be for 4 star dupes again :p

Triz

Id be more willing to spend CP on 3 star characters if I could by any color cover. Alas, when you are missing a color it seems pointless.

zulux21

Id be more willing to spend CP on 3 star characters if I could by any color cover. Alas, when you are missing a color it seems pointless.

I forced my way up the last season to get one of each of his covers.

I think actual cover drops wise I ended up with 2/6/1 including those 3 covers.

so I think I might have bought 5 covers for him... 4 yellow and 1 blue.

and he already returned 10 of that CP and some iso and what not as there is no way in hell I would have done that last heroic if he wasn't part of it.

I don't think I will waste any CP on thanos though, he doesn't seem nearly as useful as goonbuster strange.

zulux21

I found this listing today of "Xenodragon's MPQ Character Tier List" and I thought it was interesting. Do you guys agree with these rankings?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...7pUYWijoPN3QWBIsmz0AOXRog/edit#gid=1191727445

quick glance I will say no.
not giving strange an S for PVE is just wrong.

there isn't any character better than him for dealing with goon nodes. and given how many goons there are that alone deserves an S to me :p

I also don't agree with putting doc oc so low.

he isn't amazing, but his use in carnage nodes alone makes him more valuable than collossus/squirrel girl/ bullseye ect

edit: even weirder that he gives the 5 star strange an S for PVE when it's really not any better than the 3 star version. the damage you can get by using it is okay... but not good for the cost and there are better yellow moves... beyond that the loss of healing to me makes it actually worse than the 3 star version *shrugs*

Spoit

I found this listing today of "Xenodragon's MPQ Character Tier List" and I thought it was interesting. Do you guys agree with these rankings?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...7pUYWijoPN3QWBIsmz0AOXRog/edit#gid=1191727445

I think it's far too kind on the utility of the marginal 5*s, but I don't have enough covers to really judge.

Actually yeah, looking at the 4*s, there are a ton of very questionable rankings. X-23 and nova all the way down at 20?

Which is beside the point, since it actually belives that there's such a thing as a defense, other than just have star level tiers.

So no, I don't agree with those rankings

zulux21

I think it's far too kind on the utility of the marginal 5*s, but I don't have enough covers to really judge.

Actually yeah, looking at the 4*s, there are a ton of very questionable rankings. X-23 and nova all the way down at 20?

Which is beside the point, since it actually belives that there's such a thing as a defense, other than just have star level tiers.

So no, I don't agree with those rankings

hmmm you seem to be the only one with a 5 star widow black cover.

I was curious if you have tried out the alternate wininfitish combo yet.

Prof X + 5* widow + Iron fist.

once you get enough black on the board to start making 5 matches you get 4 of the 5 ap you use to create more black back and ideally with your 5 match you hit another purple. meanwhile you can fire off widow's black power to keep the ap below 12 and do extra damage.

I am hearing it's a fun alterntiave to wininfinite, but this hands down needs you to get 4ap back with 5 matches so even if I got a black widow cover I couldn't try it myself right now.

Spoit

hmmm you seem to be the only one with a 5 star widow black cover.

I was curious if you have tried out the alternate wininfitish combo yet.

Prof X + 5* widow + Iron fist.

once you get enough black on the board to start making 5 matches you get 4 of the 5 ap you use to create more black back and ideally with your 5 match you hit another purple. meanwhile you can fire off widow's black power to keep the ap below 12 and do extra damage.

I am hearing it's a fun alterntiave to wininfinite, but this hands down needs you to get 4ap back with 5 matches so even if I got a black widow cover I couldn't try it myself right now.
Honestly, I haven't even looked at her. But speaking from past experience, IF alone isn't enough to power winfinite. You'd need like mystique or doom to prime (and refresh) the board to mostly black. Preferably mystique, since that blue generates purple too. And I think she is primary purple as well?

zulux21

Honestly, I haven't even looked at her. But speaking from past experience, IF alone isn't enough to power winfinite. You'd need like mystique or doom to prime (and refresh) the board to mostly black. Preferably mystique, since that blue generates purple too. And I think she is primary purple as well?

yeah mistique is primary purple as well.

still not something I could try out unless I got two more prof x blue covers though.

Spoit

Yeah, I tried it, and (at least with my anemic 1 cover 5* BW) it didn't really work that well. Without a pre-biased board, even a double cast of fist just got a lot of 3 and 4 matches. And getting those 4 matches took half of widow's health bar, from eating all the goon cooldowns.

Top Bottom