• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Spoit

He is worth it just for demolition. I use him with Starlord which makes it cheap. Just yesterday I had 21 demolition tiles on the board at one time. That's abouAt 30k damage to the enemy who matches it.
Again, the main limiting factor isn't covers, it's always ISO. He's more or less usable at like 200, but champing from there is another like hundred fifty thousand or so. Which could be much better spent on someone better
I'd have a hard time blowing 120cp on a single cover. I think I'm sitting on at least 300 and there's no way I could do it.

Again, while that might be worth it for a top tier person like HB or JG, for someone marginal like fury? 6 pulls on the legendary token machine is probably going to be more useful. Especially that that has reasonably good odds of yielding a 5*

zulux21

that feeling when you sell a 2 star champ because it's max level and you don't think you need it and will just start again only to after you sell it remember that was the required 2 star for the event lol.

luckily I pulled a new one with the 100hp I spent on the venom bomb vault :p

zulux21

I don't sell my maxed 2*s until their replacement is mostly ready

that is true for most of mine as long as I am not hurting for roster spaces, but some of them I really don't care if I have on roster most of the time.

it's not like having one cover for someone like torch changes much. even if he was fully covered I would still be using OML black and IF's green instead of torch. only thing I am missing out on is higher red damage, but since that is the cover I got not a big deal with strike tile bonuses.

I only sold him this time because i needed the iso to champ punisher before his cover expired :p

Spoit

Oh right, I usually only keep the actual useful 2*s around. The hawkguy/mmags/cstorm trifecta for DDQ's middle node and ares and OBW for whenever that isn't usable in the last node. Otherwise, I just buy a new slot if it's a different required char for the PvE, since I only even bother joining the new character ones, so would presumably be using that slot anyway

zulux21

Oh right, I usually only keep the actual useful 2*s around. The hawkguy/mmags/cstorm trifecta for DDQ's middle node and ares and OBW for whenever that isn't usable in the last node. Otherwise, I just buy a new slot if it's a different required char for the PvE, since I only even bother joining the new character ones, so would presumably be using that slot anyway

I have all the 2 stars aside from bag man. bag man isn't required and isn't in tokens so yeah... no real point to have him.

So you don't roster Thor or Wolvie? Wondering if I should swap them out for a Mags & Hawkbro.

Moonstone, Cap & Human Torch are regularly required for PVP and I always miss those nodes too....

brickface

I just keep 2 star Thor, Hawkeye and Magneto. Even if one of them is used for the 3 star DDQ it's still pretty easy. Kinda sucks for PVE when you're grinding nodes and can't do them all

MiTYH

I used have to have a lot of 2 stars than, but I've cut back. OBW and Magneto I always use, and Storm/Wolve is good for when one of them is blocked out in DDQ. I miss my Daken/Torch, but their lazy3s make up for it

Also, just pulled my first Doc Strange 3-star. Blue, so not ideal. I'll see if I can get the 400 HP in time to roster him

I just keep 2 star Thor, Hawkeye and Magneto. Even if one of them is used for the 3 star DDQ it's still pretty easy. Kinda sucks for PVE when you're grinding nodes and can't do them all

I used have to have a lot of 2 stars than, but I've cut back. OBW and Magneto I always use, and Storm/Wolve is good for when one of them is blocked out in DDQ. I miss my Daken/Torch, but their lazy3s make up for it

I really wish they'd tier the slots so it's 1000 HP for a 4 or 5 * cover but significantly less for the 2* ones. I'd love to have more than five 2*s so I don't miss out on the PVE nodes but I'm not spending 1000HP just to roster another.

I have all the 2 stars aside from bag man. bag man isn't required and isn't in tokens so yeah... no real point to have him.

You still have all the 2*s? How many slots do you have in total? That's nuts.

I really wish they'd tier the slots so it's 1000 HP for a 4 or 5 * cover but significantly less for the 2* ones. I'd love to have more than five 2*s so I don't miss out on the PVE nodes but I'm not spending 1000HP just to roster another.

I have all of them (well, I just sold Bullseye since I got him max champed, but I'll roster him again in the next couple weeks), and I have 106.

zulux21

uh... 108 I think right now, with two of them being extras (aka filled with one cover 1 stars right now). one will get filled with medusa tonight or tomorrow.

Ron Mexico

Is there a list somewhere of the ones that are no longer available or at least unavailable via token?

Still early days of getting back into the swing of things but would just like to clean up a little.

zulux21

Is there a list somewhere of the ones that are no longer available or at least unavailable via token?

Still early days of getting back into the swing of things but would just like to clean up a little.

there aren't many

2 star land..
bagman isn't in tokens... but i think you might get him as a rare drop in pvp not sure.

4 star land
devil dino isn't in tokens (anniversary events)
howard the duck isn't in tokens. (duck season)

and... that is it i think.

if you do somehow get a bunch of bag man covers apparently his level 144 is actually a legendary token unlike the normal 2 star rewards lol.

there aren't many

2 star land..
bagman isn't in tokens... but i think you might get him as a rare drop in pvp not sure.

4 star land
devil dino isn't in tokens (anniversary events)
howard the duck isn't in tokens. (duck season)

and... that is it i think.

if you do somehow get a bunch of bag man covers apparently his level 144 is actually a legendary token unlike the normal 2 star rewards lol.

They removed Yelena from the Standard Tokens, so she only drops in PvP now like Bagman.

zulux21

Lucky me-I pulled the Medusa cover from the Venom Bomb vault.

i've been trying to get her and strange... no luck so far.

at least I just did this
8cKyJFB.png
was a bit of a grind, but what ever. I will likely grind out the venom bomb token... but I doubt I will bother go beyond that.

Joined about half an hour before first sub ended in a new bracket which let me get a little over 4000 points. That should be enough of a lead to stay in top 10. Will probably get the Medusa from progression.

zulux21

HA HA HA HA HA

not only did they remove the option to do a single pull in the new limited vault, they also increased the price @_@

HA HA HA HA HA

not only did they remove the option to do a single pull in the new limited vault, they also increased the price @_@

I saw that too. They're out of their minds.

In other news, My 5* Spidey is now 1/1/1.

I mean, the reasoning behind it is fairly simple, it's just a "how far can we push this before it breaks" situation with the pricing structure, the question is can they pull it off without the player base revolting (and doing it for a character that not many people seem to be excited about helps with that).

zulux21

I mean, the reasoning behind it is fairly simple, it's just a "how far can we push this before it breaks" situation with the pricing structure, the question is can they pull it off without the player base revolting (and doing it for a character that not many people seem to be excited about helps with that).

yeah it's obvious they are in the process of seeing what people spend on things... I mean the CM on the forums even said so :p

I am hoping they don't see a single HP spent for this though as it is just shitty. Really I wish I could just force them to pick what I think is the most logical one.

the last one wasn't horrible but at 150 for 1, 1500 for 10 and 3000 for 20 there wasn't any reason to not do 1 by 1 which is rather stupid.

The best way to do these would likely be as follows.

make them 21 vaults and always give people one free pull (making them still 20 but every gets a free token when they run which no one will be unhappy about).

make the 1 pull cost 250, but with a 100 daily.
make the 10 pull cost 2000
and make the 20 pull cost 3000.

people who only want to spend a little would get 5 pulls or so with the daily 100 and have a chance to get the 4 star.
people who want to try to save a little could do the daily pulls and then do the 10 pull at the end if they didn't get what they want. (leaving them good odds to get what they want as they would get 16/21 pulls if it runs for 5 days but not perfect odds but it's the risk you take for saving 500hp over the 20 pull)
and people who just want the cover can do the 20 pull right away for 3k.

the low entry cost would likely get anyone who is interested in the cover to at least spend 500HP on 5 pulls unless they get lucky early on... and it would in general make people happy *shrugs*

Triz

Im sitting on almost 5500 gold, with an open slot currently filled with a duplicate 2* cap so I can still get shield clearance rank. I have a couple 4* who are 2 covers short and would spend some on that vault if they were featured. I sure as shit am not doing it for spider Gwen or Venom.

zulux21

Im sitting on almost 5500 gold, with an open slot currently filled with a duplicate 2* cap so I can still get shield clearance rank. I have a couple 4* who are 2 covers short and would spend some on that vault if they were featured. I sure as shit am not doing it for spider Gwen or Venom.

with the new clearence stuff and champ cycles I do get extra HP over what I need for slots.

but yeah, it would take something I want to make me spend it.

I am currently doing venom bomb tokens for medusa and strange. not great odds but only 100 per day.

I wouldn't really drop more than 100 per pull though.

yeah it's obvious they are in the process of seeing what people spend on things... I mean the CM on the forums even said so :p

I am hoping they don't see a single HP spent for this though as it is just shitty. Really I wish I could just force them to pick what I think is the most logical one.

the last one wasn't horrible but at 150 for 1, 1500 for 10 and 3000 for 20 there wasn't any reason to not do 1 by 1 which is rather stupid.

The best way to do these would likely be as follows.

make them 21 vaults and always give people one free pull (making them still 20 but every gets a free token when they run which no one will be unhappy about).

make the 1 pull cost 250, but with a 100 daily.
make the 10 pull cost 2000
and make the 20 pull cost 3000.

people who only want to spend a little would get 5 pulls or so with the daily 100 and have a chance to get the 4 star.
people who want to try to save a little could do the daily pulls and then do the 10 pull at the end if they didn't get what they want. (leaving them good odds to get what they want as they would get 16/21 pulls if it runs for 5 days but not perfect odds but it's the risk you take for saving 500hp over the 20 pull)
and people who just want the cover can do the 20 pull right away for 3k.

the low entry cost would likely get anyone who is interested in the cover to at least spend 500HP on 5 pulls unless they get lucky early on... and it would in general make people happy *shrugs*

That works for the players, but I don't see how it's better for them as a company. Especially with the giving out free tokens, which I doubt makes people any more likely to spend on the rest of vault. If I'm being completely honest, if I were them, I make the next vault Medusa, and add a single token option at either 200 or 250HP, just to see where the breaking point is in terms of a highly desired new character.

zulux21

That works for the players, but I don't see how it's better for them as a company. Especially with the giving out free tokens, which I doubt makes people any more likely to spend on the rest of vault. If I'm being completely honest, if I were them, I make the next vault Medusa, and add a single token option at either 200 or 250HP, just to see where the breaking point is in terms of a highly desired new character.

people are far more likely to spend money when happy.
a number of people would likely spend hp on the vaults just to keep them coming.
you can't just try to maximize everything, it will just drive people away.
I mean they already cost themselves $10 a month from me with recent changes *shrugs*

Triz

Three 25CP pulls: Black Hulkbuster (champed level) black Black Bolt, purple Teen Jean (need one more blue to max her out.)

zulux21

got a blue mr fantastic for my fury win.

i need a few more of those to have hopes of winning his clash unless they rebalance him before his doctor doom fight @_@

Spoit

got a blue mr fantastic for my fury win.

i need a few more of those to have hopes of winning his clash unless they rebalance him before his doctor doom fight @_@

I'm still not convinced that that fight would be any more than 50/50. Even if you had a maxed one

zulux21

I'm still not convinced that that fight would be any more than 50/50. Even if you had a maxed one

like I said, hopefully he gets a rebalance. I mean he isn't far off from a useable character just needs some tweak

Flexibility isn't horrible but should likely be increased a bit given ice man exists.

Master of the Fantastic

at the very least needs to get rid of fantastic 4 members limitation at the very least. and line it up more like medusa with it being a bit stronger than hers in regards to friendly matches since hers has procs on either.

Master of the Fantastic

yeah... the damage here needs to be multiplied by like 3.
when ever a red, green or yellow match is made increase the counter by one and deal 2500 damage at level 270 seems far more in lines with things.

Playing with boosted Vision on the Hulk event, he seems like a fun character. Use Density:Heavy and then your match damage hits like a truck, plus the Red Group Attack.

Don't really see why he is seen as the worst 3* right now.

Can't help but notice how much he looks like Paul Bettany lol

Playing with boosted Vision on the Hulk event, he seems like a fun character. Use Density:Heavy and then your match damage hits like a truck, plus the Red Group Attack.

Don't really see why he is seen as the worst 3* right now.

Can't help but notice how much he looks like Paul Bettany lol

When you've got characters like Sentry and Ragnarok around, there's no way he's the worst 3*. He's not up there with the likes of Kamala or Iron Fist or Cyclops, but when boosted he can be very useful. Pair him with IM40 and you can do some nice damage.

zulux21

When you've got characters like Sentry and Ragnarok around, there's no way he's the worst 3*. He's not up there with the likes of Kamala or Iron Fist or Cyclops, but when boosted he can be very useful. Pair him with IM40 and you can do some nice damage.

rags really isn't that bad either.

he is way better than sentry, squirrel girl, bullseye, spiderman.

rags really isn't that bad either.

he is way better than sentry, squirrel girl, bullseye, spiderman.

Squirrel Girl is at least useful against special tile generators. I'd argue that Rags biggest problem is just that everything is so random. You might get the red to cascade you some blue. You might get to match the charged green tiles that blue makes. His synergies just don't work dependably, which makes him incredibly frustrating to use.

And Spider-man's problem isn't that he's badly designed, it's that no one gives a shit about support characters unless they're generating AP, which he isn't. If defense had value in the meta, he'd be great.

Ron Mexico

Probably not much help to more powerful teams, but Medusa + anything that spams special tiles is hysterically broken. Annihilating her PVP event with a 1* Storm and a rotation of whatever nuke I'm in the mood for at the time. Survive long enough to vomit cheap attack tiles and you're essentially invincible. In this case, just going for highest quantity of tiles and the rest takes care of itself.

zulux21

Squirrel Girl is at least useful against special tile generators. I'd argue that Rags biggest problem is just that everything is so random. You might get the red to cascade you some blue. You might get to match the charged green tiles that blue makes. His synergies just don't work dependably, which makes him incredibly frustrating to use.

And Spider-man's problem isn't that he's badly designed, it's that no one gives a shit about support characters unless they're generating AP, which he isn't. If defense had value in the meta, he'd be great.

there are so many way way WAY better characters than SG against special tile generators.

Rags on the other hand converts red to blue, which is a unique thing (I think)

either way, when quicksilver is boosted I don't mind running Rags and Ironman 40 with him.

you shift ironman to 3/5/5 use the red with rags to make blue matches to trigger quicksilver, and use the blue with iron man for some AOE damage. and green to help trigger quicksilver and do decent single target damage.

it's not an amazing team, but it works fairly well given it has two mostly useless characters in it :p

there are so many way way WAY better characters than SG against special tile generators.

Rags on the other hand converts red to blue, which is a unique thing (I think)

either way, when quicksilver is boosted I don't mind running Rags and Ironman 40 with him.

you shift ironman to 3/5/5 use the red with rags to make blue matches to trigger quicksilver, and use the blue with iron man for some AOE damage. and green to help trigger quicksilver and do decent single target damage.

it's not an amazing team, but it works fairly well given it has two mostly useless characters in it :p

At the 3 star level, not really. You either use her or Doc Oc for max damage, or Daredevil or possibly even (to bring this full circle) Bullseye or Vision to get rid of them. Once you get to the 4 star level, then a ton of choices open uop. I'd basically say that on that level, in terms of dealing with special tile spammers, it's Doc, then her, then Bullseye, then She Hulk for flipping, then every other 3 star that deals with them.

zulux21

At the 3 star level, not really. You either use her or Doc Oc for max damage, or Daredevil or possibly even (to bring this full circle) Bullseye or Vision to get rid of them. Once you get to the 4 star level, then a ton of choices open uop. I'd basically say that on that level, in terms of dealing with special tile spammers, it's Doc, then her, then Bullseye, then She Hulk for flipping, then every other 3 star that deals with them.

she doesn't really do anything to deal with them though.

she gets extra damage, but still not exciting compared to what else you could use purple for.

and her green doesn't remove much of anything, you could just use 3 star storm instead for much better removal that way.

her bigger they are move isn't good to start with even if you ignore the end the turn thing... it's just horrid after that.

she is just a terrible character in general as expected since she is a joke character.

but hands down doc oc is the king of dealing with tile spammers in 3 star land... no one else even gets close.

she doesn't really do anything to deal with them though.

she gets extra damage, but still not exciting compared to what else you could use purple for.

and her green doesn't remove much of anything, you could just use 3 star storm instead for much better removal that way.

her bigger they are move isn't good to start with even if you ignore the end the turn thing... it's just horrid after that.

she is just a terrible character in general as expected since she is a joke character.

but hands down doc oc is the king of dealing with tile spammers in 3 star land... no one else even gets close.

At the 3 star level, what else can you use purple for that does as much damage as she does with special tiles out? Basically, all you have is either Iron Fist (with the caveat or needing 12 black first) or Doom if you wait long enough (and your trap tiles don't get matched away/overwritten). The idea is she ends the match faster with the amount of damage done, as opposed to actually removing said tiles. I've got a 174 SG that does about 4500 damage for 9AP with 4 tiles out (about 500 per AP), which is about the same damage per AP as my 185 Scarlet Witch on Purple (492 per AP), and as far as single moves in 3 star land on purple is only beaten out by Iron Fist and Doom (if he has more than 5 trap tiles out). And she actually scales higher than that. If she's boosted and I have to deal with special tiles, then I would/will absolutely use her in a pinch as long as Doc Oc isn't also boosted.

zulux21

At the 3 star level, what else can you use purple for that does as much damage as she does with special tiles out? Basically, all you have is either Iron Fist (with the caveat or needing 12 black first) or Doom if you wait long enough (and your trap tiles don't get matched away/overwritten). The idea is she ends the match faster with the amount of damage done, as opposed to actually removing said tiles. I've got a 174 SG that does about 4500 damage for 9AP with 4 tiles out (about 500 per AP), which is about the same damage per AP as my 185 Scarlet Witch on Purple (492 per AP), and as far as single moves in 3 star land on purple is only beaten out by Iron Fist and Doom (if he has more than 5 trap tiles out). And she actually scales higher than that. If she's boosted and I have to deal with special tiles, then I would/will absolutely use her in a pinch as long as Doc Oc isn't also boosted.

whales via deadpool as his is AOE damage that isn't that much lower. whales are 14ap for 4069 damage to 3 targets making it up to 871.93 damage per AP vs squrriel's max 6728 (aka with 8 tiles out) or 747.555 damage per AP. and neither of those are ideal uses for purple as it is much better used with IF or KK to just make better colors for damage. If you like using squirrel girl so be it, but she is by far one of the worst 3 stars. she isn't the worst though, there are clearly a few worse than her... but all of them need a rework to make them actually worth using as I can't really think of a situation I would use her. thus why she is in the last few of my 3 stars to be champed

scarlet's purple is not very good, I don't know why you are using that o_O you don't use scarlet's purple unless it is a last resort, you use her to fuel much better purple moves. (if you could target her stun it would be a bit different story, but the stun always seems to target the last person you would want it to hit :p)

zulux21

Scarlet Purple VS. a level 450 Hulk is amazing ;)

fair enough, one on one it's amazing as it is a solid stun then.

though for that match personally I went between 3 star CAP and my partially covered Ice man (who is at least covered enough that his stun is 4 turns :p) to stun lock hulk.

*reads message about how purple hulk power is causing a bug and is disabled and that people that have one will get compensation... sighs at 1/1/0 5* hulk*

whales via deadpool as his is AOE damage that isn't that much lower. whales are 14ap for 4069 damage to 3 targets making it up to 871.93 damage per AP vs squrriel's max 6728 (aka with 8 tiles out) or 747.555 damage per AP. and neither of those are ideal uses for purple as it is much better used with IF or KK to just make better colors for damage. If you like using squirrel girl so be it, but she is by far one of the worst 3 stars. she isn't the worst though, there are clearly a few worse than her... but all of them need a rework to make them actually worth using as I can't really think of a situation I would use her. thus why she is in the last few of my 3 stars to be champed

scarlet's purple is not very good, I don't know why you are using that o_O you don't use scarlet's purple unless it is a last resort, you use her to fuel much better purple moves. (if you could target her stun it would be a bit different story, but the stun always seems to target the last person you would want it to hit :p)

I forgot about Deadpool. I'm not saying she's a great character, I'm saying she has a specific use situation that she does make sense in. She is absolutely not a good all-around character.

zulux21

I forgot about Deadpool. I'm not saying she's a great character, I'm saying she has a specific use situation that she does make sense in. She is absolutely not a good all-around character.

and I am saying she isn't even good in that situation.

even in her ideal situation most of the 3 star roster is still a better choice unless you specifically have an urge to use purple for damage.

Top Bottom