• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

why are you running a 4/5/4 strange?

the only time the purple makes any sense to have above 3 is if you know for a fact you need to hit trap tiles (for 5) or inviso tiles (for 4) his blue and yellow are both really good moves in general but his purple is garbage tier in general so it's odd to see someone running it with that at 5 o_O

I mean the blue move nearly doubles in damage each turn between 4 and 5 covers
and the yellow move hits for like 40% more damage and heals for like 30% more between 4 and 5 o_O

Because I champed him without any expectation of using him. I appreciate the tip though - I'll take his purple down to 3!

I used to frequent the D3 forums in order to figure out the best builds but I had completely forgotten to adjust the last several characters I've champed, be they 4* or 3*.

Triz

Don't feel bad PB, I realized after reading Zulux's post that mine was covered wrong too. Much for the same reason as you lol.

zulux21

Because I champed him without any expectation of using him. I appreciate the tip though - I'll take his purple down to 3!

I used to frequent the D3 forums in order to figure out the best builds but I had completely forgotten to adjust the last several characters I've champed, be they 4* or 3*.

Don't feel bad PB, I realized after reading Zulux's post that mine was covered wrong too. Much for the same reason as you lol.

fair enough :p

but yeah strange in general liquidfies any goon node.
thanos in general liquidfies any node with level 90 or so or less characters.

the two together tend to destroy things.
plus since strange heals with his yellow thanos doesn't kill your team super fast so it's reusable for a while.

still for the trivial nodes in PVE I run thanos, daken, and either patch or OML (i run OML but not everyone can) as those two can just recover damage automatically.

the only major issue with thanos, at least on steam I don't know about other versions. is that thanos' passive only goes off around 97% of the time. that last 3% of the time it doesn't go off and you are left without the other enemies taking massive damage :(

So I just tried Enchilada with 3* Strange, a 5* Thanos with one Black, and a 5* BP with one Red. Was just as fun/interesting/cool as I thought it would be. If I had those two (and 5* Strange) decent covered they would slice through wave nodes like butter.

Triz

Gaf input: War Machine at level 250 needing one cover. I have a spare red in queue, of course red is maxed. Worth spending 120CP to champ? Or try and pull BP from the 25cp tokens. Sitting at 99CP and I could get the rest before cover expires.

Spoit

Gaf input: War Machine at level 250 needing one cover. I have a spare red in queue, of course red is maxed. Worth spending 120CP to champ? Or try and pull BP from the 25cp tokens. Sitting at 99CP and I could get the rest before cover expires.

Honestly, I'd say to pull classics

Not worth spending the CP on War Machine. Whether you should try classic or latest legends depends on where your 4 stars are right now. More than half champed, I'd say go latest legends.

MiTYH

New clash out, Elektra VS Blade.

Deny red/black/pink, try to get your black out before his. Mine is a bit low (1/3/2 level 131) so I'll try it later

Edit: Tried and failed. Fun fact, his Thirst can disable your Ballet of Death

Deny red/black/pink, try to get your black out before his. Mine is a bit low (1/3/2 level 131) so I'll try it later

I got it on my second try. 5/3/3 lvl 147 Elektra. I think I used two boosts for all-color match damage and was pretty low by the time it ended.

Triz

Managed a top 50 and got Coulson. He seems decent but not top tier. Strong support.

Blade fight was cake with a champed Elektra, pulled a CHulk with the token.

zulux21

my 3/2/5 electra did this with ease, I focused on black and purple and then got red when I could, once I was hidden behind black it was easy. won taking only 1500 damage with a level 150 electra.

got a blue iceman cover which makes him 4/4/5. ideal seems to be 5/5/3 so once i reach the point where I want to champ 4 stars he might be one of the first I champ.

Missed out on Coulson, finished #116. Oh well, I should get one from Heroic PvE progression. Better late than never.

On happier news, I'm sitting on 6 legendary tokens and 165 CP. Operation Stockpile 2.0, I suppose. I just champed 4-star Deadpool, and now will spend a few days champing 2-stars before maybe putting levels into 4- and 5-stars who could use it. We'll see, but I probably won't spend those tokens or iso until it's closer to 10 tokens and 200+ CP. Woo!

Dalek

I need to stockpile so badly. I have no willpower.

In other news-it's possible to earn 90 levels in 14 days right? Right? 😨

zulux21

Missed out on Coulson, finished #116. Oh well, I should get one from Heroic PvE progression. Better late than never.

On happier news, I'm sitting on 6 legendary tokens and 165 CP. Operation Stockpile 2.0, I suppose. I just champed 4-star Deadpool, and now will spend a few days champing 2-stars before maybe putting levels into 4- and 5-stars who could use it. We'll see, but I probably won't spend those tokens or iso until it's closer to 10 tokens and 200+ CP. Woo!

eh, not a big deal if you missed coulson, you can easily get one from pregression and he doesn't seem to be very good in general unless I am missing something huge.

Triz

got my 4 clears in in record time tonight. So much easier to do it throughout the day, but server issues prevented that. I pulled a Winter Soldier from the vault with my PVE token today. Puts him at 9 or 10 covers.

Spoit

I've found an even faster team for the DDQ wave node: swapping in the 5* BP (with red) and thanos. Even though thanos does less damage with the black than his 3* version, the self stun lets BP pull off his red passive, which carves through enemies at 2.5k a pop, often triggering another self stun.

I've found an even faster team for the DDQ wave node: swapping in the 5* BP (with red) and thanos. Even though thanos does less damage with the black than his 3* version, the self stun lets BP pull off his red passive, which carves through enemies at 2.5k a pop, often triggering another self stun.

If only someone had mentioned that last week:

So I just tried Enchilada with 3* Strange, a 5* Thanos with one Black, and a 5* BP with one Red. Was just as fun/interesting/cool as I thought it would be. If I had those two (and 5* Strange) decent covered they would slice through wave nodes like butter.

Dalek

I took my Ant-Man from 150 to 270 in 10 days. It's definitely possible.

Good because I'm in deep shit and NEED to stop pulling. I have a Luke Cgae cover expiring in 13 days now and he's only like 206 now.

I accidentally pulled my last needed Peggy cover today (applied a Captain Marvel cover to my Champion without checking the reward first) and she's woefully under leveled. Still need to get Punisher and a Drax to 250 as well. No more pulls!

Good because I'm in deep shit and NEED to stop pulling. I have a Luke Cgae cover expiring in 13 days now and he's only like 206 now.

I accidentally pulled my last needed Peggy cover today (applied a Captain Marvel cover to my Champion without checking the reward first) and she's woefully under leveled. Still need to get Punisher and a Drax to 250 as well. No more pulls!

IMO, the order you apply should apply ISO in is Peggy = Luke > Pun >> Drax, by the way. Peggy is good enough that I'd almost prioritize getting her to a decent level above making sure you don't waste the Luke cover. I think you'll make it with a little bit to spare, though, so get some levels into Peggy before the other two.

My Peggy has been sitting at 200 for months. Every time I get close to having the iso to max her level, someone else gets a 14th cover and needs to get championed.

Dalek

What is Bonus Heroes?

Get more covers of your favorite characters! Select your favorite characters in your Roster, and every time you open a pack you will have a chance to get a bonus cover for a character that you have chosen.

What Stores are Bonus Heroes Available In?

Bonus Heroes are available in any cover store. Bonus Heroes are not available in Vaults.

What Characters are Available?

Packs that contain 3-Star and 4-Star characters contain a subset of them (packs that contain 1-Star and 2-Stars will continue to include all 1-Stars and 2-Stars). Packs that contain 3-Stars will only include twenty characters. These characters are initially comprised of characters that the Design team has chosen. Packs that contain 4-Stars include the twelve latest released characters. New characters will be added to the packs shortly after they are released (see the section What is the New Character Tag? below for more information). When a new character is added to the packs, the character released the earliest is removed from the pack.

What are the Odds of Getting a Character?

At the time of this feature being added, a single 3-Star character has had their drop rate increased by more than 2X and a single 4-Star has had their drop rate increased by more than 3X! There’s an increased chance to get 4-Stars in 10x and 40x packs. Featured characters are highlighted and have an increased chance to be drawn.

How do Legendary Stores Work with Bonus Heroes?

There will be two cover stores: Latest Legendary and Classic Legendary Cover Stores. Each store contains the latest twelve 4-Stars. Latest Legendary Packs contain the 3 latest 5-Stars and cost 25 Command Points per draw. Classic Legendary Stores contain all but the three latest 5-Stars and cost 20 Command Points per draw.

What is the Chance to Get a Bonus Hero?

Each single cover pack has a 5% chance to get a Bonus Hero. Each draw from a 10x and 40x cover pack has a 8% chance to get Bonus Hero. Every time you pull a 3-Star from a Standard Pack you will get an additional 3-Star Bonus Hero.

What Characters Will I Get When I Get a Bonus Hero?

You can get 3-Star, 4-Star, and 5-Star characters from Bonus Heroes. Whenever you draw a Bonus Hero, you will get one of the characters you chose as your favorite character in that rarity. For example, if you draw a 4-Star character and get a Bonus Hero, you will receive one of your favorite 4-Star characters.

How do I Select Favorite Characters?

You select your favorite characters from the Roster screen or when you are viewing the character from the Roster screen. Characters you have not rostered yet will appear in your roster so that you can favorite characters you have not collected yet.

What is Bonus Heroes?

Get more covers of your favorite characters! Select your favorite characters in your Roster, and every time you open a pack you will have a chance to get a bonus cover for a character that you have chosen.

What Stores are Bonus Heroes Available In?

Bonus Heroes are available in any cover store. Bonus Heroes are not available in Vaults.

What Characters are Available?

Packs that contain 3-Star and 4-Star characters contain a subset of them (packs that contain 1-Star and 2-Stars will continue to include all 1-Stars and 2-Stars). Packs that contain 3-Stars will only include twenty characters. These characters are initially comprised of characters that the Design team has chosen. Packs that contain 4-Stars include the twelve latest released characters. New characters will be added to the packs shortly after they are released (see the section What is the New Character Tag? below for more information). When a new character is added to the packs, the character released the earliest is removed from the pack.

What are the Odds of Getting a Character?

At the time of this feature being added, a single 3-Star character has had their drop rate increased by more than 2X and a single 4-Star has had their drop rate increased by more than 3X! There’s an increased chance to get 4-Stars in 10x and 40x packs. Featured characters are highlighted and have an increased chance to be drawn.

How do Legendary Stores Work with Bonus Heroes?

There will be two cover stores: Latest Legendary and Classic Legendary Cover Stores. Each store contains the latest twelve 4-Stars. Latest Legendary Packs contain the 3 latest 5-Stars and cost 25 Command Points per draw. Classic Legendary Stores contain all but the three latest 5-Stars and cost 20 Command Points per draw.

What is the Chance to Get a Bonus Hero?

Each single cover pack has a 5% chance to get a Bonus Hero. Each draw from a 10x and 40x cover pack has a 8% chance to get Bonus Hero. Every time you pull a 3-Star from a Standard Pack you will get an additional 3-Star Bonus Hero.

What Characters Will I Get When I Get a Bonus Hero?

You can get 3-Star, 4-Star, and 5-Star characters from Bonus Heroes. Whenever you draw a Bonus Hero, you will get one of the characters you chose as your favorite character in that rarity. For example, if you draw a 4-Star character and get a Bonus Hero, you will receive one of your favorite 4-Star characters.

How do I Select Favorite Characters?

You select your favorite characters from the Roster screen or when you are viewing the character from the Roster screen. Characters you have not rostered yet will appear in your roster so that you can favorite characters you have not collected yet.

Can I Change My Favorite Characters?

Yes! You can change your favorite characters at any time.

What if I do not Choose any Favorite Characters?

If you get a Bonus Hero and you have not chosen a Favorite character for that rarity you will receive a random character from that rarity as your Bonus Hero.

What is the Limited Character Tag?

Limited characters are special characters like Howard the Duck and Devil Dinosaur. They are excluded from Bonus Heroes.

What is the New Character Tag?

New characters are also excluded from Bonus Heroes. 3-Star and 4-Star characters have the New tag until the season after they are launched. 5-Star Characters will have the New tag until they have been in the game for two weeks.

When do I unlock Bonus Heroes?

Bonus Heroes unlocks at S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank 8

Sounds alright, I could always use more covers. And the bonus ones can just be rotated through the 4-stars I want to complete, for example.

Does this start right away?

zulux21

I will have to look into bonus heroes more later, I have to go to work for now, but it sounds like bonus heroes won't do much for me as the only time I buy pulls is from the vault ones and it doesn't sound like you can get bonus heroes from vaults.

Spoit

I will have to look into bonus heroes more later, I have to go to work for now, but it sounds like bonus heroes won't do much for me as the only time I buy pulls is from the vault ones and it doesn't sound like you can get bonus heroes from vaults.

It only works on bought ones, not tokens? Eh, you'd still be able to benefit from it with CP buys?

It only works on bought ones, not tokens? Eh, you'd still be able to benefit from it with CP buys?
It works for all tokens except vault ones. You don't have to buy them.

It works for all tokens except vault ones. You don't have to buy them.

Yup. So Standards, Elites, Heroics, and Legendaries, plus PvP and new release PvE Tokens.

Reading it and some of the reactions, the positives are free covers at a drop rate of somewhere between 1% (Heroics) and 5% (Legendaries), a little bit of choice on the older 4* covers you get (or more importantly, the ones you don't get), and it's now easier to cover newer 4* characters. The primary negative is the significant slowing of getting older 4* covers and non-selected 3* (basically just progressions, placements, champ and vaults now). If I were them, I'd basically handle this 2 ways:

1.) Do the same thing with classic/latest 4* in legendaries that they do with 5* (i.e. the Latest Legends continues to have the newest 12 4*, and classic legends contains everyone else). So that if you want to, you still have some way to directly RNG yourself into useful older 4*.

2.) Now would be the best time to open up placement rewards in PvP and PvE. Give people more covers there (especially 4*) to counteract the fact that they're getting less of the older covers from tokens directly. Throw 4* into alliance rewards and extend how far covers go down in them for events (say, top 50 alliances now get 4* covers each event, and top 250 get 3*), and extend them down in each Clearance Level above 6 (so, let's say, 4* for top 20 for CL6, top 50 in CL7, and top 100 in CL8, and extending the 2+ 3* covers to top 100 in CL6, top 200 in CL7, and top 300 in CL8).

2 GwenPool covers in progression in the Enemy of the State PVE.

Interesting. Clearance Levels 7 and 8. Looks like it's where they've been putting the event tokens before. While I'm not expecting this to be a thing for all events, it's something I think they should consider for 7 day events (where we're getting half the CP that we normally would in a week).

Edit: It turns out this is an official change for 7 day events. Nice.

Dalek

I"m not sure how many covers to favorite....

I did 2 for each rank.

3 star: Dr. Strange and Thanos
4 star: Wolverine and Kingpin (Just temporary, as I only need one each from them to get another LT as a reward)
5 star: OML and Phoenix

Spoit

Yup. So Standards, Elites, Heroics, and Legendaries, plus PvP and new release PvE Tokens.

Reading it and some of the reactions, the positives are free covers at a drop rate of somewhere between 1% (Heroics) and 5% (Legendaries), a little bit of choice on the older 4* covers you get (or more importantly, the ones you don't get), and it's now easier to cover newer 4* characters. The primary negative is the significant slowing of getting older 4* covers and non-selected 3* (basically just progressions, placements, champ and vaults now). If I were them, I'd basically handle this 2 ways:

1.) Do the same thing with classic/latest 4* in legendaries that they do with 5* (i.e. the Latest Legends continues to have the newest 12 4*, and classic legends contains everyone else). So that if you want to, you still have some way to directly RNG yourself into useful older 4*.

2.) Now would be the best time to open up placement rewards in PvP and PvE. Give people more covers there (especially 4*) to counteract the fact that they're getting less of the older covers from tokens directly. Throw 4* into alliance rewards and extend how far covers go down in them for events (say, top 50 alliances now get 4* covers each event, and top 250 get 3*), and extend them down in each Clearance Level above 6 (so, let's say, 4* for top 20 for CL6, top 50 in CL7, and top 100 in CL8, and extending the 2+ 3* covers to top 100 in CL6, top 200 in CL7, and top 300 in CL8).

Are the reduced rates still there if you don't favorite anybody? Wouldn't that just make it as random as it used to be?

Are the reduced rates still there if you don't favorite anybody? Wouldn't that just make it as random as it used to be?

This is what I don't get. What happens if I favorite everybody? Or nobody?

Like spatenfloot said, favoriting everyone or no one produces the same result, which is basically that you get a random cover from that level as your bonus hero. So the decreased older 4* (and non-selected 3*) rate will still be there. If you look at the odds in total, I think it's something along the lines of if you choose 2 or less of the older vaulted characters as your bonus heroes, then you technically have higher odds of getting them than you did before this change. If you choose more than 2, then you have lower odds than before. But either way you have higher odds of getting the selected 3* or the newest 4*.

Dalek

So it's really in your best interest if you want one specific cover to just favorite one of each. Favoriting OML ensures that ANY bonus token I get at the 5 star level will always be OML. It's just that the odds of getting ANY bonus 5* token are low.

So it's really in your best interest if you want one specific cover to just favorite one of each. Favoriting OML ensures that ANY bonus token I get at the 5 star level will always be OML. It's just that the odds of getting ANY bonus 5* token are low.

Basically. So for example, with 4 stars, pick one of the non-newest ones that you want to bring up to 13 covers, and as soon as you get the 13 (or if it were me, the 14th that would give you the legendary after you champ), switch it to the next person that's close. There's a little bit more strategy to it than that, but that's the very basic way to take advantage of it.

zulux21

looking it over... I am a little sad I spent my CP recently.

but in general this is a great change especially for 4 star land.

when I use CP I will only get a handful of characters now and in general they will be useful characters... and if I want older characters I can just favorite them and hope they trigger as a bonus.

this seems like a great change.

the best part is I can easily see what I don't have now :p

gKmOYen.png
anyways my favorites for now, though I might look at the future clashes and add someone who is like a month away that I am close but not quite there.

oh I should add jean gray. *debates about adding prof x but does as prof x still needs a few covers*

oh they outright got rid of being able to buy standards eh?

yup, though if you want a few characters to be built up slowly that works to.

I really don't get people's issues with this.
from what I can see it basically doubled the odds you get any given 4* cover you want and will still give you recent heroes as well.

for any 4* character you don't want covers for you can effectively remove them from the pool, and with only 12 of the more recent ones the tokens will actually likely let people build up characters fast enough that by the time their clash comes around they can use them.

Khaz

the best part is I can easily see what I don't have now :p

That's my take on it too, as a low ranked player with mostly 2stars in their roster. I did favourite Strange and Sam Cap, but I wish you could get 2stars too. I opened 5 heroic tonight, nothing happened yet.

zulux21

That's my take on it too, as a low ranked player with mostly 2stars in their roster. I did favourite Strange and Sam Cap, but I wish you could get 2stars too. I opened 5 heroic tonight, nothing happened yet.

eh, I can understand not doing bonus 2 star stuff, they are common enough especially with elite tokens.

It's still weird to me that people are so upset about having much better odds of getting new characters, and for some reason think it will be harder to build up a few good old 4*.

sure you can't get 4* that aren't new from tokens and what not, but the bonus hero rate is set higher than your previous chances of getting a certain character.

this is good for new transitioners as they can build up some of the newer characters easier, and good for long term transitioners as they can focus on building up characters they don't have or just focus on rhulk or something.

Top Bottom