• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Gotchaye

I suppose I can see that... it never really crossed my mind as it typically takes me more effort to kill wolverine than thor due to his regen :p

Wolverine's heal will make up the difference in 9-10 turns, but the disadvantage of being on defense is that your opponent can either come in boosted and burst him down or can attack another character first while building up AP. This is why Patch looks so good to me; he's got more HP than Thor and heals twice as much as Wolverine.

Also, I suppose Thor might have competition now for defense teams, since Ares appears to be really good at that in his own way.

Edit: My match-making in the Ares tournament has gone crazy. I'm getting nothing but people with ~2000 points who are worth 50 points a pop to me.

Gotchaye

I wish my Hood were higher level; I'd be using Ares/Hood/OBW in this tournament such that the other team would have huge problems denying Ares AP. I'm running Hulk or Wolverine instead right now; had a funny "you've been attacked" message when I just logged on where someone had evidently burned through all three of their attempts.

My Ares is level 50. I'm reluctant to put that much more into him because it's costing 1000 ISO per level now and the boost has diminishing returns anyway. I think I'm pretty well-positioned for top 5 in this bracket anyway, and if I can do the same in round 2 I probably won't be using Ares much for quite a while (I like him all right, but his self-damage thing is going to make him awfully health pack or Spider-Man reliant). I think I'd rather be dumping ISO into Spider-Man or Hood right now.

zulux21

I wish my Hood were higher level; I'd be using Ares/Hood/OBW in this tournament such that the other team would have huge problems denying Ares AP. I'm running Hulk or Wolverine instead right now; had a funny "you've been attacked" message when I just logged on where someone had evidently burned through all three of their attempts.

My Ares is level 50. I'm reluctant to put that much more into him because it's costing 1000 ISO per level now and the boost has diminishing returns anyway. I think I'm pretty well-positioned for top 5 in this bracket anyway, and if I can do the same in round 2 I probably won't be using Ares much for quite a while (I like him all right, but his self-damage thing is going to make him awfully health pack or Spider-Man reliant). I think I'd rather be dumping ISO into Spider-Man or Hood right now.
my ares is only level 32, I need more crystals to boost him a bit but I don't want to do the savage event much more right now need to wait until later.
im glad the red cover is the lower reward though... after i get a few more points in the ares tournament and take a top 50 in savage I will have a 5/2/5 ares which I don't feel is to bad at this point :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hey all,

I'm new to the game and just read the OP so apologies if this is a very common question. I've got a part leveled up to around level 15 (Iron Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow). As well as a few three-star characters around level 15 as well. What are some good early missions to spam for ISO, coins, and the like? The difficulty seems to vary wildly for basically the same rewards, but maybe the % chance of a good reward is better on the harder ones? I really don't know. Is there any bonus to collecting all the available rewards on a mission? Also once you collect a reward type, you can collect it again right? Just don't know what the best strategy is and if I'm going to be grinding I'd like to be at least relatively smart about it. Thanks!

zulux21

Hey all,

I'm new to the game and just read the OP so apologies if this is a very common question. I've got a part leveled up to around level 15 (Iron Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow). As well as a few three-star characters around level 15 as well. What are some good early missions to spam for ISO, coins, and the like? The difficulty seems to vary wildly for basically the same rewards, but maybe the % chance of a good reward is better on the harder ones? I really don't know. Is there any bonus to collecting all the available rewards on a mission? Also once you collect a reward type, you can collect it again right? Just don't know what the best strategy is and if I'm going to be grinding I'd like to be at least relatively smart about it. Thanks!

just do the missions you can do easily, and if they have no more iso to do go play in shield training or the events...

you get a min of 70 crystals when facing someone in pvp, meanwhile a lot of missions only give you 20 after the first few rewards, thus facing people is way faster to get crystals earlier on.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
just do the missions you can do easily, and if they have no more iso to do go play in shield training or the events...

you get a min of 70 crystals when facing someone in pvp, meanwhile a lot of missions only give you 20 after the first few rewards, thus facing people is way faster to get crystals earlier on.

Thanks -- what do you mean "have no more ISO"? How do you know if they are out?

Askani

Thanks -- what do you mean "have no more ISO"? How do you know if they are out?

Repeatable missions give multiple rewards. Usually at least some are ISO rewards. You can only win each reward once. Also, the reward you win is RNG based. So, if you beat a mission for the first time and lets say there are four rewards, you get one of the four rewards. If you beat it again, you can get a second of the four, but there's also a chance your RNG will be the reward you already won, so you get a token 20 ISO. They are saying if you've beat the mission multiple times and won both of the ISO awards, you should move on since the other rewards are not really likely to help you.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
20 iso reward is SUCH a bummer when I'm shooting for a 3/4 claimed psot. :/

Askani

Why does the Sunder token stay on the board after Ares dies if he has teammates that are still alive? I've seen this twice now. The AI Ares killed himself with Sunder, but the countdown token didn't go away. Is it happening all times or just when he kills himself? That's a bug...right?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Why does the Sunder token stay on the board after Ares dies if he has teammates that are still alive? I've seen this twice now. The AI Ares killed himself with Sunder, but the countdown token didn't go away. Is it happening all times or just when he kills himself? That's a bug...right?

Probably so. It still needs to countdown and vanish so I don't...I dunno. Yeah probably will be fixed.

FaidSint

I realllly want to get ranked 46-75 in Smash Hit. Right now I'm ranked 45 with just a few hours left. Those storm covers would be so tight. I'm leveling my Storm and Thor right now (just now moving from 1 star to 2 stars) and getting those covers would be amazing.

I'm fighting for getting into the top15 of Ares, and it's really difficult.

I have 804 points and I'm #16. The #15 is on 826, but I need to be at least 877 to prevent a last-moment attack that give him more points. #14 is over 1000, so it's not duable to reach him. #17 is 600, so I should be safe.

The problem is that I won 150 points in the last 15 minutes... but I lost 130. It's being very competitive, and having Ares only at 50 isn't helping it, I'm the target of a lot of people.

hamchan

Seems good to level Ares now because they'll probably be heavily nerfing Thor and Wolverine. My Ares has all the covers now because of the Hunt and this tourney, so that's pretty cool.

zulux21

I really hope the devs don't charge ISO for skipping matches.

they already confirmed they will...

they detailed upcoming changes to pvp

First, we changed the way we search for matches. Before, when taking event rating into account while matchmaking, we looked for opponents within a certain range above and below your event rating. Now, we still limit the amount below your rating that we look (so you don't get worthless matches), but you can now be matched with players that have event ratings any distance above yours. We rolled this out during the first run of the Ares tournament and it looks like it's having a positive effect so far.

The effect of this should be that it's more dangerous at the top, and players at the bottom can rise faster. We're adjusting the progression rewards to take this into account. The thresholds for the 175-500 progression rewards are higher, but our intent is that, for most players, it takes roughly the same amount of effort to earn a similar reward as it did before. A couple of rewards at around the 1000 point mark have also been reduced a touch since many more players are earning them.

We're also experimenting with doubling the price of shields in these events (as we experimented with halving them in the last set of lightning rounds). We want their use to be an interesting strategic choice, and some of us think the choice to throw one down is too obvious right now - top players easily have enough Hero Points to shield the whole time they're not playing, and it's exceptionally hard for others to catch up. We want the use of shields to remain within reach for lots of players, though, so we'll be watching how this affects shield usage closely.

One thing we've been concerned about is encouraging you to skip a zillion opponents before fighting one. We think most people have more fun fighting than skipping. We've added a feature to a future release that adds a small Iso-8 cost to skipping. Our hope is that it will add a little more strategy to deciding whether or not to skip a fight, and a side effect is that it should improve matchmaking (Rating players accurately is more difficult the greater control you have over exactly who to fight. We want you to have some of that control because it's an interesting choice, but infinite skips may be too much). This feature won't be in these next events - it'll be in an app update.

Gotchaye

Seems good to level Ares now because they'll probably be heavily nerfing Thor and Wolverine. My Ares has all the covers now because of the Hunt and this tourney, so that's pretty cool.

I'm hoping that Patch covers come up as prizes often enough that I can use him as my R/G/Y character. I'm thinking of using Patch, Hood, and then one of Magneto, Spider-Man, or Original Widow. Patch and Hood cover red, green, yellow, blue, and black tile damage and have skills using all of those colors except blue. Magneto has purple/blue skills and blue damage, Spider-Man has a blue skill and purple/blue damage, and OBW has both skills and damage (but is a 2*, of course).

I've been playing around a lot with a level 64 Hood with maxed blue and it's insane how useful he is if your team has good coverage of all the colors in their active skills. OBW's passive stealing is fantastic, and she typically only steals 1 per turn when she steals at all. Hood almost always steals, he very often steals 2+ AP, and he can steal AP of all colors to fuel other characters. 2* Wolverine, OBW, and Hood suck the enemy dry and have been enormously useful in the The Hunt missions (and Hood Lightning Rounds).

Looking forward, obviously the big concern is that Magneto and Spider-Man are getting nerfed, and OBW falls off a cliff once Hood's black/blue damage passes hers. I'm really hoping Magneto remains competitive, since I love the character, and as long as his blue and purple remain usable I think he slots in nicely, and one of the other two can be swapped in when I need healing. I suppose Patch, Spider-Man, and Magneto also make an all right team, for the same reason that Ragnarok and the other two did. So hopefully I'll have Spider-Man around for healing and defense and then can swap in Hood or Magneto when something needs to get killed.

shaowebb

aYSa8I9.jpg

Oh God Yes. Ran this guy with Daken Wolverine vs Ragnarok and laughed my ass off. Replayed it till I couldn't anymore.

Devil Dinosaur you are my waifu. <3

hamchan

Awww, I see someone about to overtake me and knock me out of 5th place in the tourney :(

Oh wow, he shielded like 24 points ahead of me. If I time this right I can take my place back and leave no time left for him to counter back.

zulux21

come on come on let me stay in second ><:

YES!
though I feel a little bad for the person that was 8 points behind me that i managed to sneak past at the last minute lol.

I'm a little surprised i could take a top 2 given i don't own an invisible woman so I can't do the last mission at all >.>;

hamchan

Ahahaha got top 5 and received that yellow Wolverine patch cover. How unfortunate for the person in front of me, they wasted using a shield. I was watching their progress the whole past hour too as they rose in the leaderboard.

^Congrats! It does feel a bit bad to steal a place at the last minute... But it also feels fantastic haha!

zulux21

Ahahaha got top 5 and received that yellow Wolverine patch cover. How unfortunate for the person in front of me, they wasted using a shield. I was watching their progress the whole past hour too as they rose in the leaderboard.

^Congrats! It does feel a bit bad to steal a place at the last minute... But it also feels fantastic haha!

i only ended up with a top 45 in the ares event... I found out if you click the fight button with heroes down to quickly it will use multiple heal packs on your heroes... I had a two heroes down after a bad match and ended up wasting 4 health packs reviving them when I only had 5 to start with :/

thus the next time I got in trouble I had to shield and call it... I don't think i would have cracked the top 15 anyways, I got hit hard after I shielded (like 30 plus attacks in the last half hour hard)

but yeah those 500 hero coins for snaging second feel great :p

I need the nerfs to come already so I can figure who I want to level up more... I am doing well enough with my teams but it would be nice to have more characters past level 50 aside from wolverine. (I am currently just leveling up everyone to 50 lol)

shaowebb

Awesome. I got stuck with a ton of recruit tokens and no special covers but when I cashed in the recruit tokens I got good stuff anyways. Got a red skill Wolverine that was NEEDED. Got even more Daken purple skill. Got a Thor I needed. Got some stuff to cash in for iso to train Daken with. Running Daken, Thor and Wolverie or Daken Hulk and Wolverine is great. So much damage.

zulux21

Awesome. I got stuck with a ton of recruit tokens and no special covers but when I cashed in the recruit tokens I got good stuff anyways. Got a red skill Wolverine that was NEEDED. Got even more Daken purple skill. Got a Thor I needed. Got some stuff to cash in for iso to train Daken with. Running Daken, Thor and Wolverie or Daken Hulk and Wolverine is great. So much damage.

glad to hear you got some good stuff.

so reading the forums it seems that the cost to skip should be rather low (they are calling it trivial, but they also think the nerf to rags was not a complete neuter so... yeah)
they have also mentioned that the iso rewards in general will be increased.

so given what we know about the company, I figure the cost to skip will be 10 per skip, and the new rewards will be either 75 or 150 iso.

hamchan

All these changes just sounds like they're making the top progression rewards super hard to get again. Raising shield prices, making it so people on 0 points can attack people on 2000, making skips cost ISO now.

Just sounds like it's going to be incredibly frustrating getting a high place when you're attacked 5 times for every 1 time you attack, with the added bonus of being penalized for skipping opponents that only give like 10 points.

If they really make cost ISO for skipping targets, the game will depend way more on your cards and levels. It will be nearly impossible to get good cards... except if you already have good cards.

I should then quit the tournaments (except a few matches to get a few rewards), and focus on single player events only.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
they already confirmed they will...

they detailed upcoming changes to pvp

i dont like this. i get the point, and i agree that i think it will help to their end goal.

but they're doing it wrong. they need to let us view a much larger list of applicable opponents that will give us points and allow us to fight against them until they are worth 0 points.

something like a prologue level select screen or really just a list.

ToxicAdam

I've still been playing this game every day for the past two months I've been banned. Just now starting to get a little fatigue with the game.

That's always the problem with these kinds of games. Once you reach a certain amount of progression there is no real 'end' to work towards. All that is left is the grind to max level the very best characters.

Askani

I'm really getting that with this event now. It's 9 days or whatever, the same as the Hulk event, and it's just...exhausting. It a chore to slog through it all to try to stay up on the overall leader boards. Hopefully the add something new soon.

davepoobond

The thing is also its hard to wrap up the prologue missions with all the temporary events. They should add a couple of the events as new permanent story events and get it out of the special event rotation at least

zulux21

I'm really getting that with this event now. It's 9 days or whatever, the same as the Hulk event, and it's just...exhausting. It a chore to slog through it all to try to stay up on the overall leader boards. Hopefully the add something new soon.

my trick is to not give a shit about the overall progression and just aim to get all the goodies from the events... since most of the missions are playable only once you just have to rush through and get your rewards... if you enter the event early and then do it all in the last 2 hours you tend to end up with a top 50 finish....

im not going to get number 1 over all but i should be in the top 90.

Yeah I've advanced Ares so much and the Punisher covers are such that I'm going to just shoot for Heroics in this last set of sub events. It means I'll get a useless overall Hunt prize but I figure three Heroics are better than 375 ISO (I've maxed out Ares' covers so his covers are now useless to me). Maybe I'll get lucky with a black Punisher cover but I'm not betting on it.

Ruin first round I finished 9th. Tore shit up to like 685 and then got a shield with 90 minutes left. Will probably hop into round two after this sub event ends just to see how these changes shake out.

So, yeah, got my Patch. :}

Askani

my trick is to not give a shit about the overall progression and just aim to get all the goodies from the events... since most of the missions are playable only once you just have to rush through and get your rewards... if you enter the event early and then do it all in the last 2 hours you tend to end up with a top 50 finish....

im not going to get number 1 over all but i should be in the top 90.

I really want another Invis Woman cover and I really really want more Punisher covers, so decided to put in the work. I've been busting my butt to stay on top. If I don't get 1 or 2 I won't be that upset I guess, so long as I get all three Punisher covers. I'm second overall at 73,000 points, but I have a good amount of missions to do in the last events. The person in front of me is at 1,500 above me and I'm 3000 above third. I should be able to move up quickly and distance myself from those behind me. Would be nice if I could yank that 80k reward as well and get all four Punisher covers from the event.

I really want another Invis Woman cover and I really really want more Punisher covers, so decided to put in the work. I've been busting my butt to stay on top. If I don't get 1 or 2 I won't be that upset I guess, so long as I get all three Punisher covers. I'm second overall at 73,000 points, but I have a good amount of missions to do in the last events. The person in front of me is at 1,500 above me and I'm 3000 above third. I should be able to move up quickly and distance myself from those behind me. Would be nice if I could yank that 80k reward as well and get all four Punisher covers from the event.

Some weird behavior in the Alaska tournament that just ended. I played the second last battle once, but couldn't get into it again due to the Invisible Woman requirement (don't have her).

Farmed the event below it a few times and came in around 13 which is fine (needed another red & yellow for Ares...currently at 4/3/4) but the event kept switching me between Punisher required and IM40 required.

Strange.

hamchan

Already have all the Ares covers and only need a black Punisher to finish him. So it's pretty chill, no need to really try in this last bit of the Hunt.

shaowebb

God Wolverine, Daken, Thor is ridiculous. Spend around 300-400 before a set for the tokens to start with AP of all color and then your choice of either red, yellow or green. All work.

Fuel Thor's Yellow ability and hit the opponent for a nice chunk, turn things green. Create massive attack multipliers with Daken. Use Green to create more with Wolverine. Get Thor's red Ability to make more Yellow to keep the two healing themselves and to hit the opponent for SEVERAL THOUSAND DUE TO MULTIPLIERS. Ad infinitum. Turn one is almost a guaranteed kill on most teams. By turn 3 their next man is nearly dead depending on AP acquisition. Only guy who will ever need heals is Thor.

Yeah, I'm expecting some nerfs to Thor. His cost is fine, but his AP yielding stacked with his high health and damage makes him too perfect for teams. He's not Ragnarok Vanilla busted or anything but the combo of him plus Daken is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too strong.

shaowebb

Eh Thor is fine. It's more like other people need to be buffed. Plus he's only a 2 star.

I honestly think they need to make a character who functions like the liutenants in the game. I'm hoping Iron fist gets to be a dedicated team healer. Spidey can heal but its shaky as its more valuable to stun IMO.

BTW my streak is getting Godlike...literally. Just pulled in a shitload of Ares and now got all his colors...plus something else.

0BIP8gq.jpg

Fuck yeah!
Gonna pair him with my Dr Doom and Hulk once his Black ability is up. Doom gets blue to create black tiles making it easy for Bullseye to get the cost to get an easy 1700 damage on folks. I can only imagine how irritating hulk gets with protect tiles. I also got more Marvel Now Magnetos some Moonstones, another Captain America, some Thor's and SEVERAL more Daken (he's almost at max now).

My drops are amazing lately.

Askani

Woo! First place overall. Ended with 82k. Didn't even have to play the last three hours. The guy in second ended 1200 behind me. Hopefully they stick to short tourneys for a little while because I need a break.

davepoobond

im probably going 5/3/5 for Ares.

i didnt time my playing right and i ended up losing out on getting a ton of points in the Florida subevent. i didn't get a punisher like i wanted to :((((((

just a bunch of ares cards

Top Bottom