• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

zulux21

im probably going 5/3/5 for Ares.

i didnt time my playing right and i ended up losing out on getting a ton of points in the Florida subevent. i didn't get a punisher like i wanted to :((((((

just a bunch of ares cards

5/3/5 was what I decided (it's actually the order I got covers, I haven't gotten more than 3 red anyways >.>), it's just to touchy to get him to stick around 25% hp

also boo hiss ares tourney... I was due to be attacked I hadn't in like an hour... but 3 in the time it took me to play a 2 min match... so depressing @_@

Pha-ew!!

Spent the last 90 of the Hunt frantically missioning and landed at like 84! Amazing. Got my Punisher cover and happened to increase almost my entire bench level to 42.

I also randomly got a Loki cover off a standard chit so now he's miraculously topped out at 38.

Ares is at 60 now, and fully powered, although I'm sure he won't be the only one in this new tournament.

Anyway, great haul.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man this is not a good event. Very unimpressed with how much skipping I have to do due to juiced up Thors heh

ToxicAdam

My original 'final build' team was going to be Hulk/Grey Widow/Ragnorak. But now that they nerfed Rag, I'm thinking about redirecting.

Patch/Loki/Spidey looks to be the new hotness. With Patch's ability to lay down strike tiles and Loki's ability to switch them, it means a lot of pain for the opponent. Spidey buys you time with his cheap stuns (for now).

shaowebb

Ares and his Sunder ability seem pretty good if you can protect his heal tile. It'd be best to use it the same turn as a stun move to insure the recovery IMO. Worked pretty well with Thor as a partner too given all the green/yellow he creates. Not certain who to pair with them both though. Either a stun char, an attack multiplier or Bullseye for the passive protect tiles. So far either Venom or Bullseye seems the best choices to me since they wont step on any toes. Spiderman if I had him would work.

Is anyone finding the PVP matchmaking a little off recently? During the Ares tournament I was consistently given matches I had no chance of winning and the same has seemed to happen in the new tournament. I sorted through opponents for 5 minutes straight and couldn't find one opponent I felt I could beat.

My top character is a lvl 48 classic storm and I have a few others in the 35-40 range. All opponents showing up are in the 60-80 range it seems. Is anyone else seeing this?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone finding the PVP matchmaking a little off recently? During the Ares tournament I was consistently given matches I had no chance of winning and the same has seemed to happen in the new tournament. I sorted through opponents for 5 minutes straight and couldn't find one opponent I felt I could beat.

My top character is a lvl 48 classic storm and I have a few others in the 35-40 range. All opponents showing up are in the 60-80 range it seems. Is anyone else seeing this?

They have a little more work to do regarding the matchmaking. I routinely skip around 20+ before taking a risk. Foolishnes,s but still.

jred2k

They have a little more work to do regarding the matchmaking. I routinely skip around 20+ before taking a risk. Foolishnes,s but still.

Especially if they are going to start charging ISO to skip. I've begun to just start focusing on the SP levels, but that 20 ISO shit is terrible. I feel way behind with characters in the 30's and 40's, I can't imagine how new players feel.

Especially if they are going to start charging ISO to skip. I've begun to just start focusing on the SP levels, but that 20 ISO shit is terrible. I feel way behind with characters in the 30's and 40's, I can't imagine how new players feel.

I'm frustrated because I want to be able to earn better and more covers, but I have no opportunity to have success where I'm being placed

It used to be an opponent within a certain range of your rating. Now it's a certain range below and anyone above it.

ToxicAdam

Every change the devs implement makes this game worse...

Pretty much.

If you made a list and divided it into "decisions made that were bad for the user" versus "decisions made that were good for the user",the first column would absolutely dwarf the second one.

I don't mind playing a game that evolves (even radically), but I do have a problem with a game that asks you to pay money while you are playing it. It's fundamentally unfair.

That's why I haven't spent a cent on this game since I plopped down 20 dollars the first few weeks. Once they jacked up HP costs for covers and health packs, I realized these people didn't know what the hell they were doing and just making it up as they went along.

mackattk

Pretty much.

If you made a list and divided it into "decisions made that were bad for the user" versus "decisions made that were good for the user",the first column would absolutely dwarf the second one.

I don't mind playing a game that evolves (even radically), but I do have a problem with a game that asks you to pay money while you are playing it. It's fundamentally unfair.

That's why I haven't spent a cent on this game since I plopped down 20 dollars the first few weeks. Once they jacked up HP costs for covers and health packs, I realized these people didn't know what the hell they were doing and just making it up as they went along.

Thats a real problem with this game. It is hard to know where to invest your money. I could spend ISO for a character that is awesome now, but by the time I get it to a respectable level, it could be nerfed. I understand that this game is constantly evolving, but it really sucks when something like this happens.

jred2k

I'd be way more likely to spend money on this game if they increased the ability to get new characters and level them. As it is I don't really feel compelled to buy additional roster slots because the odds of getting enough cards to make a character usable feel very low.

I find it real difficult to know how to use health packs. I have close to 40 of them stacked, but I kind of don't want to use them in case the drops of them die off all of a sudden.

ToxicAdam

That's the other profound problem with this game. Competition (for limited rewards) is such a huge part of it. The people that have been playing in the past 30-60 days are at a huge disadvantage to the people that have been playing since Day One. They are playing under a different set of rules and conditions.

People that have been playing since day one have been able to earn way more covers, HP, ISO, etc. They have also been able to earn those rewards under more favorable conditions (Pre-nerfed Storm, Rags, healed characters on level ups, cheaper health packs, bonus covers during the 20 to 5 switch, better cover rewards in the prologue chapters, bigger HP rewards in all aspects of the game).

It's like being a baby boomer in the American economy. :p

Thats a real problem with this game. It is hard to know where to invest your money. I could spend ISO for a character that is awesome now, but by the time I get it to a respectable level, it could be nerfed. I understand that this game is constantly evolving, but it really sucks when something like this happens.

Also, prices are amazingly high, specially on ISO.

Here, in Europe, we're talking about 90€ for 52k ISO. You probably need to spend more than 200€ to max the level of a 3-star character (assuming that you got all the necessary skills).

Also, buying skills is very expensive, 1250 gold for a single 3-star skill point.

Then, maxing both level and skills of a 3-star character could cost you around 300€. Way too expensive, when there are tons of characters, and they can nerf your character in any moment.

zulux21

Also, prices are amazingly high, specially on ISO.

Here, in Europe, we're talking about 90€ for 52k ISO. You probably need to spend more than 200€ to max the level of a 3-star character (assuming that you got all the necessary skills).

Also, buying skills is very expensive, 1250 gold for a single 3-star skill point.

Then, maxing both level and skills of a 3-star character could cost you around 300€. Way too expensive, when there are tons of characters, and they can nerf your character in any moment.

I have to agree, I would never buy iso... I mean you get what 8k for $20... so I can get a level 50 to level 57 by putting $20 into them....... that isn't pay to win, that is pay massive amounts of money to win.

At least HP is a bit better but they are quickly working to make that a thing of the past... Hey shields are working you can actually get yourself in a decent spot and do something with your life that isn't puzzle quest and end up getting your HP back basically making it so you won't get an HP award... nope screw the players double the cost they must play puzzle quest at all times or spend money :/

This new tournament is awful.

Too many characters that are maxed, and with too much damaging skills.

Even if you find a "easy" combat, chances of receiving two or three big hits of a 85 buffed Thor, taking out a good amount of health, are high. So you'll end in a few combats with the characters too damaged to fight. And the waiting time for healing is huge (you always can repeat easy prologue missions with a healer, but is boring).

This tournament, the last changes on shields and training reward progression and the fact that, after 75 days, I have all the characters (except 4-star Wolvie), but none of them has enought skills to be leveled over 85 (so I get attacked to often in tournaments), and the high ISO cost to level more chars over 50-60, make me start thinking about leaving the game. I'll continue during a few days, waiting for a new single player big event, but the ISO cost on skipping can be the last push.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Yeah the changes they are making are not very good design choices as well as the pvp matchmaking being kinda crappy.

I kind of dont even do the pvp stuff much anymore. Getting 3 chances at one group without them healing is probably the only saving grace even though the healing cost sucks

Yeah the changes they are making are not very good design choices as well as the pvp matchmaking being kinda crappy.

I kind of dont even do the pvp stuff much anymore. Getting 3 chances at one group without them healing is probably the only saving grace even though the healing cost sucks

Also, there is a BIG problem on tournaments, that is that, when you start getting a good score, if you don't have 3-star characters (and leveled over 85), is very difficult to advance.

You'll attack someone that is lower than you, so you'll get 15-20 points. But if you have 2-star characters, that guy will counter-attack, and because of the crappy AI and that the player can aim to the support characters first, they will win. So you'll lose 30-40 points, and you'll end with LESS points than before attacking.

So you only can attack people that are either higher than you on the table (that usually have characters over 85) or people that is below you and they have very crappy characters so they won't counterattack. And this is nearly impossible when you are over 400 points. Skipping iso cost can kill PvP for anyone without 3-star characters (that aren't counter-attacked)

shaowebb

Wow, just came back on to see if any new tourney is up and suddenly got rewards I didn't know I was owed. One of each color uncommon storm. I wont use the yellow passive though. I'm going for a 5/5/3 build for her. I dont really get into tools eating my cover slots up that require me to take 50% damage on my whole team before they do anything serious.

Gotchaye

While I think ToxicAdam is basically on the mark, and that the developers seem set on convincing players that they're jerks and resent players who have fun without paying out the nose, I don't find that it's very hard to place well in these tournaments with a 2* team.

My go-to for the Ares tournament was 50/85/85 Ares/Wolverine/OBW, although I also spent a lot of time with 50/70/85 Ares/Hood/OBW. And I placed top 5 pretty easily in both rounds. I don't see that this new tournament will be very different, although I completed my Punisher the other day so I don't care much about placement anyway.

FWIW, and I'm not sure which things I'm doing are actually helpful and which things are wastes of time, I enter these tournaments pretty early and spend the first 36 hours or so repeatedly building up to 100-200 points and then putting in a tank team for 12 hours (it takes 4 wins to do this and you can eat upwards of 20 losses before you have to top up). After that I build to 300-400 points and sit (to make sure nobody sees my tank team when I make my big push). With maybe 5 hours left in the tournament I get as high as I care to over about two hours. In the Ares tournament I was finding a bunch of people worth 50 points a pop who had tank teams in (I assume they were shielded), and even as I closed in on ~1800 points I was only having to fight teams of 50/50/50 Ares/Wolverine/Thor, and I was still getting 40+ points per fight. Then I shield out the last three hours, although this might not be worth the HP anymore.

shaowebb

While I think ToxicAdam is basically on the mark, and that the developers seem set on convincing players that they're jerks and resent players who have fun without paying out the nose, I don't find that it's very hard to place well in these tournaments with a 2* team.

My go-to for the Ares tournament was 50/85/85 Ares/Wolverine/OBW, although I also spent a lot of time with 50/70/85 Ares/Hood/OBW. And I placed top 5 pretty easily in both rounds. I don't see that this new tournament will be very different, although I completed my Punisher the other day so I don't care much about placement anyway.

FWIW, and I'm not sure which things I'm doing are actually helpful and which things are wastes of time, I enter these tournaments pretty early and spend the first 36 hours or so repeatedly building up to 100-200 points and then putting in a tank team for 12 hours (it takes 4 wins to do this and you can eat upwards of 20 losses before you have to top up). After that I build to 300-400 points and sit (to make sure nobody sees my tank team when I make my big push). With maybe 5 hours left in the tournament I get as high as I care to over about two hours. In the Ares tournament I was finding a bunch of people worth 50 points a pop who had tank teams in (I assume they were shielded), and even as I closed in on ~1800 points I was only having to fight teams of 50/50/50 Ares/Wolverine/Thor, and I was still getting 40+ points per fight. Then I shield out the last three hours, although this might not be worth the HP anymore.

That is far more than I want to bother with. Im just gonna cover fish and play through events. I just pop into tourneys and pop out. Im mainly just enjoying team building and puzzles in general. I've spent some time and cash here, but I'm not gonna go all in like that.

FaidSint

I got the Classic Storm covers I needed to max her build, going 5/5/3. Right now she is only level 48 because I just started leveling her but she is an absolute beast in this tourney. Basically my strategy so far has been buy Stockpile Blue/Purple and Stockpile All, make two matches and then use her buffed Blue Ability. I've been picking teams (regardless of level) that have 2 members are 2000 HP or lower, so after 2 quick blue matches at the start of the match I can 1 shot two team members and stun the other for 4 turns. All it takes is one red match or maybe two yellow matches and my Thor will finish off the rest.

I've been crushing this tourney so far with each match taking about a minute or less. Unfortuneately finding a team that matches my criteria is kind of hard (skipping 10,000 hp buffed Thors and all), but I'm gonna use this tactic to make a big push and maybe try for my first ever top 10 finish in a Tournament.

On a side note, I NEED THOR COVERS. My Thor is sooo strong but hes only maxed out at level 38 right now. Even with Only a 2/4/1 build he is still probably my strongest member so I am desperate for covers.

I closed in on ~1800 points I was only having to fight teams of 50/50/50 Ares/Wolverine/Thor, and I was still getting 40+ points per fight. Then I shield out the last three hours, although this might not be worth the HP anymore.

I don't know where you find those 50/50/50 Ares/Wolverine/Thor, but I only find 85/85/85, even at low scores.

Now I'm trying to level OBW to 85. My "regular" team is Wolverine/Thor/Modern Hawkeye (all 85), that has the avoid passive that keep him alive. OBW goes better, even at 66, but is very easily one-shotted.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I got the Classic Storm covers I needed to max her build, going 5/5/3. Right now she is only level 48 because I just started leveling her but she is an absolute beast in this tourney. Basically my strategy so far has been buy Stockpile Blue/Purple and Stockpile All, make two matches and then use her buffed Blue Ability. I've been picking teams (regardless of level) that have 2 members are 2000 HP or lower, so after 2 quick blue matches at the start of the match I can 1 shot two team members and stun the other for 4 turns. All it takes is one red match or maybe two yellow matches and my Thor will finish off the rest.

I've been crushing this tourney so far with each match taking about a minute or less. Unfortuneately finding a team that matches my criteria is kind of hard (skipping 10,000 hp buffed Thors and all), but I'm gonna use this tactic to make a big push and maybe try for my first ever top 10 finish in a Tournament.

On a side note, I NEED THOR COVERS. My Thor is sooo strong but hes only maxed out at level 38 right now. Even with Only a 2/4/1 build he is still probably my strongest member so I am desperate for covers.

Check some Prologue missions, some of them offer up a Thor if I remember. Unless you've cleared them out. Also look at the progressive basic Versus stuff under Prologue as well, there's some Thors there.

Dispatch

This has become my main mobile game, taking over for PAD, and I really only regret one thing: I wish I'd realized that characters top out at 13 points. It made me put early covers into the wrong powers in both Classic Storm and Wolverine. Both are maxed with the wrong builds, especially for PVP. Wolverine is so messed up, I've actually started another.

I didn't max out his green. :(

ToxicAdam

Evidently, re-speccing is on it's way (not tomorrow, but maybe within a month). The way it was described is you will be allowed to 'delete an old cover' as you apply a new one.

Also, there is a high chance that Wolverine is going to get his claws (green) nerfed. So, you might actually have lucked into a better build if they nerf hammer comes down hard.

ISO is too precious to waste on second builds, IMO.

Askani

Evidently, re-speccing is on it's way (not tomorrow, but maybe within a month). The way it was described is you will be allowed to 'delete an old cover' as you apply a new one.

That would be amazing. Especially if there isn't an ISO or Hero Point penalty for doing so.

Dispatch

That would be amazing. Especially if there isn't an ISO or Hero Point penalty for doing so.

That would be my fear. That there would be an ISO or HP cost. Still, it's good to know that respec is on the way. I'll hold off on building the second Wolverine.

davepoobond

That would be my fear. That there would be an ISO or HP cost. Still, it's good to know that respec is on the way. I'll hold off on building the second Wolverine.

I think there has to be. A level hit will be logical IMO.

There has to be some sort of penalty.

This has become my main mobile game, taking over for PAD, and I really only regret one thing: I wish I'd realized that characters top out at 13 points. It made me put early covers into the wrong powers in both Classic Storm and Wolverine. Both are maxed with the wrong builds, especially for PVP. Wolverine is so messed up, I've actually started another.

I didn't max out his green. :(
Not worth it imo. Move on to Punisher or Patch. Fyi, due to a bug, max level Patch currently gets more than +1700 dmg from strike tiles for 9 AP. Combine that with obw and you'll be kill most characters from just 2 regular matches.

shaowebb

LOL at the nerf warning. Looks like my posts on Thor/Wolverine/Daken being too stronk with boosts did not go unnoticed. That plus all the wolvie thor placings in tourneys brought down that hammah.

Gotchaye

Re-spec soon would be lovely. My Magneto is up to 3/3/3 and I was starting to worry about what I'd do if I got another cover in this week's Lightning Rounds.

davepoobond

The way they described it, you're 'replacing' the other cover, so the level cap would be the same

So basically you can use every cover that comes your way and then once you get the ones you want just dump another cover.

Should be a little bit better I guess in the long game. My classic storm isn't maxed yet but I for a couple of yellows I could be using in the meantime while waiting for my blue covers

davepoobond

What do you guys find to be a better general strategy?: killing lower level guys faster first or killing the stronger/higher level Hp characters first?

Obviously you want to get rid of whatever is more annoying first, but I'm wondering if its more worthwhile wiping out a stronger character ASAP or wiping out their teammates first.

zulux21

What do you guys find to be a better general strategy?: killing lower level guys faster first or killing the stronger/higher level Hp characters first?

Obviously you want to get rid of whatever is more annoying first, but I'm wondering if its more worthwhile wiping out a stronger character ASAP or wiping out their teammates first.

In general I do neither of those... I go after who ever has the most annoying abilities first (aka usually a widow of some sort (or the male version of a widow... spiderman :p), followed by wolverine (or daken/bullseye) if I have some abilities ready as it's pointless to attack him without being able to kill him in a few turns)

Ignoring abilities I would kill who ever would reduce the most damage I would take... which wouldn't necessarily be the highest level. for example if I was facing a team of two heroes that were strong with red green and yellow and someone else that was good with the other colors I would take that someone else out first and then focus on matching red green and yellow myself to reduce damage overall.

Re-spec soon would be lovely. My Magneto is up to 3/3/3 and I was starting to worry about what I'd do if I got another cover in this week's Lightning Rounds.

My Magneto is 4/1/5 i really want to dump some ISO on him but with the nerf comming i just dont know. Im guessing his red willbe nerfed beacuse its so cheap and easy spammable but his pink is kinda overpowerd aswell i guess. His Blue might be nerfed because you can place your two blue gems on whatever you like. Strike gems or countdown it dosent matter. I guess we will see. How much HP does he have when maxed btw?

Top Bottom