• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

shaowebb

bag lady won't be bag lady for much longer

they just detailed her upgrade

dat protect tile

she at least sounds like someone I would use a roster space for now and not be bitter that I would have her to do a few random missions.

Sounds like she got some attack to go with her complete defensive tools. Be a good character to run with some ridiculous hitters like Hulk and Storm. If Storm was healthier than her it should let her protect tile herself. Either way the green farming for lightning strikes would be great.

I wonder if D3 will open up character polls? I really wanna see Iron fist someday.

RdN

The developers must have changed the way Standard Tokens work.. Before you could actually get something cool like a 2 star or even a 3 star.. but now, there's only crappy Yelenas, Hawkeyes. Sucks a lot.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The developers must have changed the way Standard Tokens work.. Before you could actually get something cool like a 2 star or even a 3 star.. but now, there's only crappy Yelenas, Hawkeyes. Sucks a lot.
Wait.. I just got a 2* Modern Captain America from it today. Did this change just happen now or what does this mean?

EDIT: Also a general thanks for people's advice in this thread.

EDIT2: I just got 3 more cards and they were all 2*s.

zulux21

Sounds like she got some attack to go with her complete defensive tools. Be a good character to run with some ridiculous hitters like Hulk and Storm. If Storm was healthier than her it should let her protect tile herself. Either way the green farming for lightning strikes would be great.

I wonder if D3 will open up character polls? I really wanna see Iron fist someday.
hmmm your statements made me think of a question...
do protect tiles protect you from yourself? (aka from the attacks with rebound damage like jugs or hulk or the new guy)

also... when did they change how the overall character boosts work, I noticed recently that crit damage and event tile matches don't seem to be boosted anymore in the tournies

seems to be the same as it's always been for me... every 10th token or so I will get a two star, every 50 or so I will get a 3 star... I've goten like 30 tokens from the current events and a few useable two star covers.

Wait.. I just got a 2* Modern Captain America from it today. Did this change just happen now or what does this mean?

EDIT: Also a general thanks for people's advice in this thread.

EDIT2: I just got 3 more cards and they were all 2*s.
It's the same afaik. Just how probability works, like rolling a dice. According to data the community has collected, it's about 10-15% for 2-star and 1-3% for 3-star.

shaowebb

sigh....No new missions spawned for me on this and there is only an hour left. All my ranks fell. How does rank fall in a single player mission and how am I supposed to recover rank there if I am not allowed to replay any missions? There goes all those Ares covers I earned.

sigh....No new missions spawned for me on this and there is only an hour left. All my ranks fell. How does rank fall in a single player mission and how am I supposed to recover rank there if I am not allowed to replay any missions? There goes all those Ares covers I earned.

What about the replayable ones in the final column?

shaowebb

What about the replayable ones in the final column?

Nope. Farmed em already. Didn't expect a 200pt decline by morning in a single player event. Just lost all 3 Ares covers by underestimating how much your score drops over time not played in single player events. Next time I'll save the bulk till the day of and play through it then so that I can climb rank. I was at 94 on one of them...dropped me down to 300's in 11 hours. Keep that figure in mind and plan ahead for your next event folks.

Nope. Farmed em already. Didn't expect a 200pt decline by morning in a single player event. Just lost all 3 Ares covers by underestimating how much your score drops over time not played in single player events. Next time I'll save the bulk till the day of and play through it then so that I can climb rank. I was at 94 on one of them...dropped me down to 300's in 11 hours. Keep that figure in mind and plan ahead for your next event folks.

Yeah, I'm saving my big hitters to last few hours now for pretty much everything.

hamchan

You beat the lvl 240 team until their points are tapped out? Because not many people are able to do that. I've only beat them twice with boosts and because of that I'm rank 25 for Alaska. Should easily make top 5 at least if you can beat the whole final column until there are no more points.

shaowebb

You beat the lvl 240 team until their points are tapped out? Because not many people are able to do that. I've only beat them twice with boosts and because of that I'm rank 25 for Alaska. Should easily make top 5 at least if you can beat the whole final column until there are no more points.

Dont have punisher or invisible woman so I cant play certain battles. Also remember I've been full cover leveling. My top 3 are all nearing 40 but not at it yet due to this. Lvl 100 teams can get shaky for me if they involve certain folks.They reset savage just now though so ill redo it tomorrow. I'll be going in on a full blown Storm leveling tour and Wolverine leveling tour after this. I've been leveling all my covers to see who I work best with. Those two plus a third tends to rip apart anyone I face these days. Venom does really well with them due to his jack of all trades balance of health damage and occassional stuns and how he uses opposite colors than them.

Askani

So after Alaska, my Ares is 2/2/3. I thought I would want him at 5/3/5, but I'm rethinking it. The bonus from the red needing me to be under a percentage of health to fire I don't like. If it's 5% increase with each cover level, then that's 35% to fire, and that's a little better. However it's an AoE instead of single targets like the other two. I really don't know what to do with him.

So after Alaska, my Ares is 2/2/3. I thought I would want him at 5/3/5, but I'm rethinking it. The bonus from the red needing me to be under a percentage of health to fire I don't like. If it's 5% increase with each cover level, then that's 35% to fire, and that's a little better. However it's an AoE instead of single targets like the other two. I really don't know what to do with him.

I'm doing 5/3/5 too. Anything that requires me to be at a certain health level is bunk.

shaowebb

I'm doing 5/3/5 too. Anything that requires me to be at a certain health level is bunk.

Agreed. Case in point the yellow passive ability for storm. Sounds amazing but if you are playing right you never see it pop off a shot. Anything tied to you having to have low damage to attack the enemy isn't worth your time. The best comeback mechanic isn't a low health only attack...its a team that doesn't get down to low health.

Man I want Bullseye to get more covers...

Agreed. Case in point the yellow passive ability for storm. Sounds amazing but if you are playing right you never see it pop off a shot. Anything tied to you having to have low damage to attack the enemy isn't worth your time. The best comeback mechanic isn't a low health only attack...its a team that doesn't get down to low health.

Man I want Bullseye to get more covers...

I wish you could gift covers. I've gotten enough Bullseyes to build like four of them.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I've gotten 2 total. First one I pulled was last week and I was surprised cause I felt like he wasn't able to be pulled haha

hamchan

I don't know how to build Ares. The abilities all sound bad to me. I especially don't want to give the opposing team more greens when everyone is using Wolverine these days.

I don't know how to build Ares. The abilities all sound bad to me. I especially don't want to give the opposing team more greens when everyone is using Wolverine these days.
It can kill Wolvie in 1 hit. So giving the team green becomes moot.

Any variation of 5, 4, 4 is good. The best thing about the recent string of new characters is that they can be built in a variety of ways. Nice change from the previous characters with relatively definitive cookie cutter builds.

Spidey/Hulk/x is what I use to beat the lvl200+ teams.

Triz

So the theory of joining tourneys late seems to be the right move. I joined this hulk tourney yesterday evening, about a little over halfway through and the top score is only at 420 points right now. Im shielded sitting just under him for awhile.

3/5/5 for me. I have plenty of green uses, and the skill giving green to the enemies (and consuming all the green) make it only useful for last chance attack.

And if it's a last-attack, I prefer the red-one. Affects all the enemies, and I don't have too many attacks able to do that. Also, you can mix yellow and red to reduce your hp with yellow, use red, get the yellow piece to do extra damage and recover life.

But, damage-wise, 4/4/5 is the best option. 5 skill on green only modify the minimum AP to use the skill (but not the damage, and you'll want to use it when you have plenty of green), and 5 red only change the 25% of double damage to 30%. 5 yellow is a must, because is very different a 3-turn timer than a 2-turn one, specially if you used the skill and have low hit points left.

shaowebb

Im betting I am about to have a lot of fun setting up a Wolverine/Storm/other team. Those two alone get absolutely ridiculous with her constantly feeding Wolverine AP and upping the damage on every match. Take your pick for last character as she feeds them AP as well. If I had more Hulk covers I'd use him for the ridiculous health buffer and put him in front, but going for Venom sounds like the best move. Good stuns, good damage, good costs, good health. He's about as good of an all arounder as you can get and he uses purple and black which is relatively opposite of most team character builds that either rely on some combination of red green and yellow.

Borked this tourney gunning all my stages to death early instead of doing it late to climb rank and not drop due to time based rank losses, but I'll live. Hopefully I can go for Ares again another time because he would be a great asset to a Storm Daken team.

Are you actually using Daken?

What's the advantage to using him? He's one of several max-cover characters I've got that I've never leveled up.
He's an off-tank/secondary dps. Can fit virtually any team. Free healing and strike tiles and a good colour set that complimemts most main tank/dps characters.

shaowebb

Are you actually using Daken?

What's the advantage to using him? He's one of several max-cover characters I've got that I've never leveled up.

The constant Attack tiles are a blast.

He's an off-tank/secondary dps. Can fit virtually any team. Free healing and strike tiles and a good colour set that complimemts most main tank/dps characters.

This really. If you use him his colors dont really impede the AP usage of other characters and if you have a tank he essentially make it hell because the longer you are in a fight with Daken alive recovering and making EVERY attack suffered big the worse it gets. The fact he gets so jacked by you popping tiles is what makes it so great. Its win win. If you could get a Rags or Hulk working right on their green Generation either would work well with him. I would advise a really harsh stun character or defense builder to go with that.. Invisible Woman, Bullseye and a few others would work in that regard. Spidey too given his stun prowess. I know that Bullseye Hulk is infuriating together so why not Bullseye, Hulk, Daken if you got the covers? Longest harshest crap ever plus Bullseye's black ability would murder out there. Failing that Invisible Woman would be nice given she uses Blue.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Daken is more of a buffing character the ray I use him. Wolverine and daken and a third will get you pretty far

shaowebb

sigh...how do you drop 98 points in a single player area in 12minutes from not playing? Cost me my last attempt at salvaging a Red Ares. Saddening. On the plus side my drop rate continues to impress. I ended up getting Another Doom black and another classic Storm Green.

zulux21

sigh...how do you drop 98 points in a single player area in 12minutes from not playing? Cost me my last attempt at salvaging a Red Ares. Saddening. On the plus side my drop rate continues to impress. I ended up getting Another Doom black and another classic Storm Green.

the answer to your question is simple, a lot of people are only playing the last hour of most things due to the rubber banding.

shaowebb

the answer to your question is simple, a lot of people are only playing the last hour of most things due to the rubber banding.

Yeah running out of matches to play with 20 minutes left sucked. I was sitting on the Red Ares which was the skill I need to have the whole set at lvl 1 since I overplayed. Sucked missing him even when waiting for the last hour. On the plus side though that Doom and Storm were needed and are really nice. I've begun powerleveling my other Storm and Wolverine as well. Juggernaut still holds up if you wanna take on a team you shouldn't be able to. If you are after some rank and your team is low on heals just toss someone, plop him in and smack em for over a grand a shot. Doesn't matter if he dies if he's your backup cannon. Plus he is perfect for Daken matches. Shatters attack tiles easily with his green and the red will straight up kill Daken in no time because he cant out heal that.

On the plus side my drop rate continues to impress. I ended up getting Another Doom black and another classic Storm Green.

lol read this, once again scoffed, then literally looked down at my phone to see my Standard chit prize:

P7zgfuC.png

:0

I NOW HAVE EVERY CHARACTER. (Except Patch of course)

My Ares is 3/3/3 now and I have 1 green and 1 yellow in the bank. I need to make a decision pretty quick I guess.

The offish forums make a really good case for 3/5/5. Red seems to be a bit less ridiculous than I'd thought.

shaowebb

Congrats! Im telling you it feels like they improved the drops. This streak of mine is ridiculous. Here's hoping more Magneto's come your way. I'd love to have a leveled one of that one...or even better Marvel Now Magneto. Loved his stats.

Askani

The offish forums make a really good case for 3/5/5. Red seems to be a bit less ridiculous than I'd thought.

Yeah, I read through that thread. Seeing a good case for 4/4/5 also.

Also, lol...never in a million years would I have thought I would be reading two forums about character builds and playing it multiple times a day, everyday. In the beginning, I just expected a puzzler with some special powers.

That's a great drop btw. I still only have 1 C.Mags cover ever. Since I don't spend money on level ups, it's probably the only one I'll ever get.

Congrats! Im telling you it feels like they improved the drops. This streak of mine is ridiculous. Here's hoping more Magneto's come your way. I'd love to have a leveled one of that one...or even better Marvel Now Magneto. Loved his stats.

I actually have a really good Marvel Now Mags, which is apparently even better, but ya know I'm a completionist.

shaowebb

This game is addictive. Mad collecting and stat building/team building so beautifully integrated into a pop 3. And it keeps expanding and having new content!

I swear someday there will be an Iron Fist and he WILL be mine.

zulux21

And I will tell you, you are just stealing all of my good drops :p

in my last 30 or so standard tokens I have gotten like 1 two star (captain that i was maxed on)
in my last 10 or so heroic tokens I have gotten 2 that weren't captain... 1 hawkeye (bleh) and 1 actual usable thor lol...

I have been having beyond terrible luck with my tokens... the only plus to all of this is I keep finishing in the top 100 of most events and top 50 of most tournies thus I am still advancing my team as I am far from maxed out on two stars and higher.

My Ares is 3/3/3 now and I have 1 green and 1 yellow in the bank. I need to make a decision pretty quick I guess.

Most people say his red isn't great so perhaps your decision has been made already?

I NOW HAVE EVERY CHARACTER. (Except Patch of course)

My drop rate sucks.

I've got most characters but Invisible Woman, X-Force Wolvie and The Hood forever elude me.

One star Patch, Hulk, Rags, Mags, Spidey & Doom etc. all do me no good either.

This game is addictive. Mad collecting and stat building/team building so beautifully integrated into a pop 3. And it keeps expanding and having new content!

I swear someday there will be an Iron Fist and he WILL be mine.

Ha! Hoping for him too. Of course my dream cover is Longshot:

Yellow - 7 AP
Turns any blue tile into a Standard Cover Chit with 95% of having a Cover You Really Need For Another Character

Top Bottom