• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

bigf00t

Well that tournament was a waste of time. Did I miss a memo about free 85 Thors or something? Been playing for a month or so now, and mine is only 50, even after clearing out the prologue.

hamchan

At least they've added an announcement in-game now that Wolverine and Thor are getting nerfed, so they're handling themselves better in terms of communicating with the players.

ToxicAdam

Well that tournament was a waste of time. Did I miss a memo about free 85 Thors or something? Been playing for a month or so now, and mine is only 50, even after clearing out the prologue.

Before they switched over to the 'token system' it was much easier to earn Thor (same with Wolverine and C. Storm) covers from the Prologue events.

Also, people greatly benefited from the earlier system of 20 covers per ability color. So, if you had 13 covers, they automatically bumped you up to the next level (4 covers) in the new system. That's why there are some people that have 5/5/4 characters in their roster. You could buy covers with ISO back then, too.

Finally, the Heroic packs were much cheaper (150 per) also.

zulux21

Before they switched over to the 'token system' it was much easier to earn Thor (same with Wolverine and C. Storm) covers from the Prologue events.

Also, people greatly benefited from the earlier system of 20 covers per ability color. So, if you had 13 covers, they automatically bumped you up to the next level (4 covers) in the new system. That's why there are some people that have 5/5/4 characters in their roster. You could buy covers with ISO back then, too.

Finally, the Heroic packs were much cheaper (150 per) also.

man, that would have been awesome but alas that was all changed before the pc release which is where i joined (as I don't own a goofy smart phone :p)

anyways I hope when everything is said and done with the nerfs the heroes are still of decent power... it will be horrible if the joke that bagman will one day be the best character comes to light :/

neonglow

Is there a place with information about which boosts affect which characters?

For example, I really don't know which characters were part of the Dark Avengers.

Would Wolverine be affected but the Mutant, X-Men and Avengers boosts?

shaowebb

V5qljzX.jpg

Bet I can still make Thor + Daken + Wolverine scary though.

They got to nerf spiderman too.

I can deal with enemy Wolverine, because AI is awful and they don't exploit the system (they use green without having too many red AP, or without basic red pieces on the board, etc). But when I have to face a leveled Spiderman and there is no other blue-skill user, is a complete pain in the ass.

The only problem with Wolverine skill is that they add a fixed damage value. So if you get pieces up to 500 damage, each pieces match will make extra 500 damage, even if it's a 10 damage piece. So a 3 cascade match will make 1500 damage (plus the pieces damage). They can fix it easily making the pieces give a extra percentage on damage (instead of fixed value), because the problem is not using skills buffed with wolverine, the problems is the regular matches buffed with fixed damage.

And Thor is not really overpowered. Is simply that their skill set works perfectly as a green pieces generator for Wolverine, and also their skills generate pieces, that means matches without spending turns, with Wolverine bonus. But without Thor, other characters as Hulk (with the black passive) works in the same way.

shaowebb

Unless someone finds a way to make Captain America rapidly poop out those blue AP Spidey wont be big enough to nerf. He's good, but Thor didn't actually use the color tile he created for his Red and Green abilities unlike Captain America who I think was the only shot Spidey had at rapid web tiling the board. Without a dedicated battery that isn't reliant on spending what he makes I dont think Spidey will become utterly busted...just irritating.

Im betting Thor's nerf may involve him getting a different color he generates, a damage nerf, or he will outright just give you AP but not change the board. If they do the latter I doubt it'll be a shovelfull of green though. Having a green battery in a game that has so many strong green abilities isn't really stable. A team with Wolverine, Daken, Thor becomes ridiculous due to him producing so much green that both abuse for strike tile creation.

Likely either a color yield reduction or a color change should take place. If they made his yellow ability produce something like more red and swapped the color of his red and green abilities it would honestly go a long way. That would mean he couldn't fuel strike tiles or reproduce yellows for more attempts. It breaks the loop of red feeds yellow then yellow gives out green which wolverine uses to make things broken.

zulux21

Bet I can still make Thor + Daken + Wolverine scary though.

sure after thor's moves have their damage cut in half, cost twice as much and only give 2 instead of 5 colors.

and after wolverine's green move gets moved up to 10 green min and only adds an extra strike tile for every 10 red you have, and the strike tiles are cut in half power wise...

that you can make a team scary with them with daken carrying them both :p

given that notice about their nerfs i am figuring that they are going to push thor and wolverine all the way to bag man status way way over doing the nerf so no one wants to use them and then will unnerf them to a more acceptable nerf level in a few months.

FaidSint

Best OBW build? With these events I can finally finish her off and am curious what to plunk into. Right now I'm 1/3/3 so my next choice is vital if maxing purple is important.

shaowebb

sure after thor's moves have their damage cut in half, cost twice as much and only give 2 instead of 5 colors.

and after wolverine's green move gets moved up to 10 green min and only adds an extra strike tile for every 10 red you have, and the strike tiles are cut in half power wise...

that you can make a team scary with them with daken carrying them both :p

given that notice about their nerfs i am figuring that they are going to push thor and wolverine all the way to bag man status way way over doing the nerf so no one wants to use them and then will unnerf them to a more acceptable nerf level in a few months.

I doubt they will "Kano" wolverine and thor. They are top draw characters people want to collect in the game as Marvel fans based on their name value. I'm betting it will involve color changes to the moves and changes to how many tiles Thor yields mainly in the nerfs and Wolvering likely wont do damage when he uses his green anymore. That or they will slightly nerf his red if Thor's colors change in the manner I said.

zulux21

I doubt they will "Kano" wolverine and thor. They are top draw characters people want to collect in the game as Marvel fans based on their name value. I'm betting it will involve color changes to the moves and changes to how many tiles Thor yields mainly in the nerfs and Wolvering likely wont do damage when he uses his green anymore. That or they will slightly nerf his red if Thor's colors change in the manner I said.

there is already two other wolverines that you could use instead... I can't see them just removing the damage from wolverine's claws... it really wouldn't change how I use him at all... the damage is a nice little plus but the big thing is being able to do an extra 300 damage on every match by using 3 boosts (600 if 2 star widow is matching stuff) his strike tiles are just crazy.

either way they have made it clear at least for the near future they don't want anyone using wolverine or thor that isn't using them for any reason other than sentimental... they are going to be nerfed hard to force players to use other characters... they are going to have to be nerfed hard enough that people who have level 85 thors and wolverines will give them up for lower level characters because thor and wolverine are no longer very good.

I am really not sure what the thor changes will be, but my previous horrible nerf of wolverine aside rags is likely a good model for what to expect for wolverines green move. It will likely more than double in price (to 7-9)) get a 10-20% increase in damage from the actual claw and the effectiveness of the strike tile will likely be reduced by 20% while making it so you only get extra tiles for every 10 red mana instead of 5.

as for the logic of they are top draw characters... well there are still 2 other wolverines, and at least in my circle of friends no one remotely gives a crap about thor (I think he is slightly above captain america as a number of my friends at least watched the thor movies, only 1 even bothered to watch the captain america movie)

to be fair most of my friends and myself aren't really what you would call big marvel fans. I like the xmen, and spider man is ok, but quite frankly they could lose the license and replace the heroes with generic no name heroes and it wouldn't matter to me. There are very few marvel heroes in general that I would care enough to collect the covers regardless if they were good or not... and most of them are stupid heroes like kitty pride lol.

We will have to see what the nerfs are, but from what they have said in the forums and that notice I fully expect them to be even worse than rags' was

shaowebb

Got my Bullseye Murderous Aim Black ability finally!
All my HP will dump into him now in hopes of full stocking his abilities. He'll be a long ride unless I get more covers but he's worth it IMO. If I can get Doctor Doom's Blue ability which I believe creates black tiles then I'll really be set for the character to use his one shot kills.

All my HP will dump into him now in hopes of full stocking his abilities. He'll be a long ride unless I get more covers but he's worth it IMO. If I can get Doctor Doom's Blue ability which I believe creates black tiles then I'll really be set for the character to use his one shot kills.
Don't do it imo.

shaowebb

Don't do it imo.

Got some experience with him? How does his black pan out at max power over lvl 50? Im eager to find out. That and pairing him on teams with health monsters like Hulk in late tourneys to make people leave me alone. Healthy Hulk Juggernaut team with a high level bullseye popping pink tokens would be a skip IMO if you were in the last 20 min of a tourney. Good way to anchor yourself.

His blue turns a bunch of blues to black. So hows this weeks lightning round going? anyone get lucky?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
His blue turns a bunch of blues to black. So hows this weeks lightning round going? anyone get lucky?

hell naw. been a shit set of events. I feel my excitement and need to play for this game waning :(

It's pretty much a 1-hit KO move on anyone, but it's hard to setup. If you want a 1-hit KO move, Venom's Devour is prolly a better choice (if you have Spidey, but he's getting nerfed). He's mostly only useful for his protect tiles. If you pair him with Doom, you're better off just using Doom's black, Summon Demons, which does 1100 damage worth in attack tiles per turn. Combined with the protect tiles, it's basically a game of attrition. Not a bad team, but I think you might find yourself using Murderous Aim only for novelty purposes or maybe in specific scenarios like vs Hulk to avoid his Anger.

Btw Bullseye has the lowest 2-star health in the game, lower than even 1-star Venom.

Got some experience with him? How does his black pan out at max power over lvl 50? Im eager to find out. That and pairing him on teams with health monsters like Hulk in late tourneys to make people leave me alone. Healthy Hulk Juggernaut team with a high level bullseye popping pink tokens would be a skip IMO if you were in the last 20 min of a tourney. Good way to anchor yourself.

Yeah, nobody will dare to attack a team with a level 40 and level 69 (full maxed) characters. Also, bullseye has an awful life, maxed, 2190, so you can be one-hitted by a lot of characters.

Yeah, Bullseye's an offensive character, not defensive. Which sounds odd given that his whole point is protect tiles. Truth is, they're only good for reducing health pack usage so you can attack more. On defense, the player will just kill Bullseye before many tiles go up if any at all.

Doom's blue ability is very hard to get. It's less common than his black when you do cover pulls and it is pretty difficult to win in the LR's.

I've been playing for over 3 months now and only have 2 of them.

I think its based on luck i played around 3 months aswell and i have 4 blue.

ToxicAdam

No doubt luck plays a factor, but it *seems* like most people are short of the same colors. Grey Widows green, Spidey's blue, Doom's blue, Rags red, etc.

It would make sense to me if the devs made the likihood of certain colors a little bit less in order to entice people into more cover pulls or competing harder for rewards.

Gotchaye

Not much useful from these LRs. One green Ragnarok (already maxed) and two red Magnetos (already have three). But I did get a purple Magneto and a blue Doom.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
steam sale on points for this game. Makes me wish I wasn't using iOS only.

zulux21

steam sale on points for this game. Makes me wish I wasn't using iOS only.

steam page says "To sweeten the deal, all in-game currency will be boosted by 25% as well!*" so i imagine there is at least a little something for phone users.

to be fair phone users still have a huge advantage over steam users due to their early start.

Can you not just link your fakebook account after downloading it on steam to have your same progress on both? I haven't tried it, but I have the game on both my droid phone and my wife's ipad, and it's the same account on both.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Can you not just link your fakebook account after downloading it on steam to have your same progress on both? I haven't tried it, but I have the game on both my droid phone and my wife's ipad, and it's the same account on both.

I saw some "progress will be erased!" note when I considered it before - got too shit scared to try again.

zulux21

there is no link facebook account thing on the PC version that I know of (aka the only way to back up your save on the PC version is to make a hard copy of the locally stored save file, though they store your save server side to some degree as well.)
there is also no way to share rewards with anyone and a few other features missing from the pc version.

ToxicAdam

The game is kind of a mess right now.

Lag everywhere, a terribly themed tournament and matchmaking that is kind of screwed up.

Hopefully there will be a fix and a new PvE event this afternoon to wash all the ick away.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The game is kind of a mess right now.

Lag everywhere, a terribly themed tournament and matchmaking that is kind of screwed up.

Hopefully there will be a fix and a new PvE event this afternoon to wash all the ick away.

That's what I'm waiting for. Was in bed last night on my iPad and opened it up and said yknow, I don't feel like playing this event. So I read some damn comics.

hamchan

Awesome update! After taking a break for a few days because of that bad Divine Champions tourney this is pretty rad.

Love new PvE, love new Daredevil.

Bagman as progression rewards, feels like they're trolling us lol.

Gotchaye

Daredevil looks really interesting, although I admit that my first reaction to seeing how all of his skills have a "Enemies cannot see the tile" clause was "shouldn't that be the other way around?" I also didn't know that he was a Marvel guy; maybe because his movie was awful.

More Patch rewards everywhere too, which is great. He's the top reward in the Punisher tournament and also in at least this first sub-event. So he should be pretty easy to max out over the next few days.

The main PvE event is bracketed to 2000, like The Hunt. I don't know why they didn't stick with the format of The Hulk, which seemed a lot more transparent and less game-y. The sub-events are bracketed to 200, which seems extremely small for something like this; a lot of your placement is down to who you end up in a bracket with.

Edit: And if you don't care much about Patch the rank 6-10 reward is 3 Heroic Tokens, which is quite nice for a top 5% placement. I'm just happy that the easy-to-get Patch is his yellow since that's the one I want to get to 5 as soon as possible.

ToxicAdam

People should care about those Patch covers, he is currently bugged and lays down twice the strike tiles he's supposed to. He also has a significant buff in one of the events.

I have hoarded about 3.5k worth of HP. I'm going to throw it all into upgrading him.

zulux21

People should care about those Patch covers, he is currently bugged and lays down twice the strike tiles he's supposed to. He also has a significant buff in one of the events.

I have hoarded about 3.5k worth of HP. I'm going to throw it all into upgrading him.

you know.... even if you gave me a million HP... I don't know if I could ever use them to upgrade skills... just way to much HP and I would feel bad using 1250 per a single 3 star skill @_@

bugged or not the 4 star wolverine is still crap until he gets his boost in a while, and the 2 star wolverine is going to be nerfed likely at least as badly as rags was... so patch is the only solid wolverine to play with right now so anyone that likes wolverine should be going after him :p

you know.... even if you gave me a million HP... I don't know if I could ever use them to upgrade skills... just way to much HP and I would feel bad using 1250 per a single 3 star skill @_@

Yeah, I've never used HP to upgrade skills. Seems like it would just suck all the fun out of everything.

ToxicAdam

That's all I spend my HP on. If I know a skill is OP, I need to maximize it as quickly as possible and reap all the rewards from using it. It will pay for itself when you start racking up top 10 placements in every tournament.

I did it early on with Thor's red and then later on with Spidey's blue. I would've done it with Rag's red, but could never pull my first one.

I don't bother with cover spaces anymore. I bought 26 (back when they were cheaper and HP rewards were more plentiful) and that should be enough.

I wish this game rewarded you in some way for 'collecting them all', but it doesn't. It punishes you for it.

zulux21

That's all I spend my HP on. If I know a skill is OP, I need to maximize it as quickly as possible and reap all the rewards from using it. It will pay for itself when you start racking up top 10 placements in every tournament.

I did it early on with Thor's red and then later on with Spidey's blue. I would've done it with Rag's red, but could never pull my first one.

I don't bother with cover spaces anymore. I bought 26 (back when they were cheaper and HP rewards were more plentiful) and that should be enough.

I wish this game rewarded you in some way for 'collecting them all', but it doesn't. It punishes you for it.

aside from losing out on a pitiful amount of crystals (and with 3 stars or higher a tiny amount of HP) how does the game punish you for collecting them all? I mean the reward to all of that is having a flexible team ready for any tournament that uses any boosted characters.

that being said... I hope there is no forced bag man battles, I have 2 extra slots and I still refuse to carry him lol.

aside from losing out on a pitiful amount of crystals (and with 3 stars or higher a tiny amount of HP) how does the game punish you for collecting them all? I mean the reward to all of that is having a flexible team ready for any tournament that uses any boosted characters.

that being said... I hope there is no forced bag man battles, I have 2 extra slots and I still refuse to carry him lol.

Agree with you as well. I am roundly and consistently rewarded for steadily leveling up all my heroes at the same pace. I pick a few to rise above the fray for particular events but by and large, everyone is now in the 40-range and thus ready to maximize results in any event they might happen to be buffed in.

Gotchaye

I'm building up a stash of HP to use when I really need to put covers on a character, but nothing's been really pressing so far. There's not a whole lot of point to it unless I also have the ISO I need to level them, but the game keeps buffing different heroes for different events such that I never seem to have more than 20k ISO. Hulk ended up at ~60 for his tournament and for his event. I had to get Ares up to 50 for his tournament. My Punisher is at 50 for events and now his tournament. Lots of my spare ISO gets pumped into villains for Lightning Round use.

So I feel like I'm going to end up sitting on this HP until there's a 4* I really need to level, since otherwise I seem to be collecting covers faster than I can get ISO. Patch is already 2/2/2 from the Ares tournament, so he's level 51 now, and all of the Family Reunion missions were pretty doable (although it remains to be seen if the difficulty resets when/if points reset, and if not then I can certainly see how a very high level Patch would help). But I'll at least have another 2 or 3 Patch covers from each round of Army of One. Seeing as how the sub-event prizes for Thick as Thieves are (so far) just Patch covers, I don't see much point in spending HP on them when I can probably max him out over the next 5 days.

animus82

Banned
Imo, best HP usage (after slots) is shields. They reverted/lowered the price back again.

I think you're right overall.

For a 3 star its 1250 HP. That needs to be brought down. They would make a lot more money if people could upgrade a few 3 star guys for 500 each. How many possible people can they find willing to spend 100$ to upgrade patch or X force wolv?

Top Bottom