• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

I'm afraid I have to. No more space, and Black Widow expires in 36 hours. I have 75 Hero points, so maybe I could go hunting for some more to buy a slot..

Have you finished the prologue? You should get enough hero points with a lot of those quests to buy some more slots. I'd definitely recommend pounding through a few of those.

jred2k

Ugh, I stopped playing for a couple of weeks and now I'm so underleveled. I don't think I have the patience to catch back up going through 1 or 2 pvp matches at a time.

BlackJace

Have you finished the prologue? You should get enough hero points with a lot of those quests to buy some more slots. I'd definitely recommend pounding through a few of those.
Yeah I've finished the prologue. I'll figure something out, thanks though.
Why kick a 3* get rid of Bagman or some stupid 1*.
No Bagman, the 1*s on my roster are Black Widow and Iron Man. My Iron Man is pretty good, so I don't want to kick him. Maybe I'll consider kicking BW.

Why do people want to kick anyone?

Serious question, do you really feel this game is so underwhelming an accomplishment that it deserves no money whatsoever?

Buying HP for coverslots seems to me to be the literal LEAST I could do to support the devs of what has shockingly become my actual GOTY.

Yeah I've finished the prologue. I'll figure something out, thanks though.

No Bagman, the 1*s on my roster are Black Widow and Iron Man. My Iron Man is pretty good, so I don't want to kick him. Maybe I'll consider kicking BW.

Well BWG is really good with 5 in her green skill she does over 3000 AOE dmg and she has an awsome purple skill to collect green and do dmg. The Hood i dont know about mine is only 3 yellow but i would check the D3 forum and read about him.

Anyway dont kick any of them you will regreat it later when your moving from a 1* team to 2* and 3* stars.

shaowebb

Lv 15 The Hood
Lv 14 Black Widow - Grey Suit

Which one gets the boot?
I had The Hood and its so hard to get another that its crazy. Thing is he seemed kind of bleh to use anyways. Grey Suit Widow (as much as I think she's a complete groan in comics) is more likely to get covers IMO and she has high utility.
Fingers crossed there's no Sentry cover lofl

My God do I want Sentry in this. You have no idea. Im a big fan of Irredeemable and I love any unstable Superman-esque tier power and Sentry exceeds that and then some. Put him in and I'll lose sleep trying to farm for one.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Lv 15 The Hood
Lv 14 Black Widow - Grey Suit

Which one gets the boot?

If you have to, get rid of the hood. Pretty useless.

Serious question, do you really feel this game is so underwhelming an accomplishment that it deserves no money whatsoever?

Buying HP for coverslots seems to me to be the literal LEAST I could do to support the devs of what has shockingly become my actual GOTY.

Well I'm not going to spend money if I don't have to. It also isn't very good conversion rates for like 20 bucks into hero points to be worth it IMO. But it sort of adds another element of difficulty or fun at character management by trying to get hero points naturally instead of buying them.

Well I'm not going to spend money if I don't have to. It also isn't very good conversion rates for like 20 bucks into hero points to be worth it IMO. But it sort of adds another element of difficulty or fun at character management by trying to get hero points naturally instead of buying them.

That's certainly true.

BlackJace

Well, I don't really like the free to play scheme, regardless of my enjoyment of the game. Believe me, if this was a paid game, I would definitely throw down money for it, I appreciate everything D3 has done thus far. I just don't want to spend money when I don't have to.

This game is landing on my GOTY list as well, shockingly enough.

davepoobond

I would totally pay 60 bucks for a full fledged game exactly as it is without the free 2 play gimmicks. It would be worth it. But it would change the game and rebalance a lot of it, not to mention the content would probably be static instead of them developing it further like a service, so you take it as is I suppose.

Well I don't know what you guys are spending HP on, but it should be more slots. You should be able to get 25-50+ HP every PVP event, and there's 3 every week.

Triz

As much as I play the game I sent the devs money for extra slots. Its by far the best F2P game ive played, and if they dont get some support it will cease to exist. Give them some money too guys.

Gotchaye

I'm still unenthusiastic about Ares, but I guess I have to pump ISO into him now for the tournament. At least mine is already 2/2/4, and I got 500 HP for a top 2 placement in one of the sub-events (thanks rubber-banding).

I'm starting to get nervous about applying 3* covers given that they're rebalancing some characters soon. My Spider-Man is up to 3/4/3 but who knows what they're doing to him. Magneto is at 3/2/2 and I don't know what I'd do if I got another blue cover. At least I feel pretty comfortable with maxed blue on The Hood.

Already 3/4/5 on Ares. I need to feed him some ISO, to level up from the current l24 to, at least, more than 50, and start the tourney in the last 12 hours of the event to get, at least, 2 wolverine covers.

Gotchaye

I was also not very excited about Patch, but looking at the official forums it seems that his yellow works just like Wolverine's at high levels - at level 5 it heals the full amount regardless of yellow tiles on the board. This makes it pretty crazy, since up until then it's balanced by requiring several more tiles than Astonishing Wolverine's does. It ends up healing twice as much as Astonishing's per turn. And he has almost twice as much HP.

Unfortunately he's not nearly as fast as Astonishing Wolverine and can't deal nearly as much damage early in a match, but it's looking like they're going to nerf AW anyway. So I'm on board; looks like a really good, sustainable character.

KuroNeeko

As much as I play the game I sent the devs money for extra slots. Its by far the best F2P game ive played, and if they dont get some support it will cease to exist. Give them some money too guys.

Has there been some sort of indication that the game isn't pulling in enough money?

davepoobond

Has there been some sort of indication that the game isn't pulling in enough money?

I suppose its never showed up on any top 10 grossing lists, but that doesn't really mean anything since all of the things on there are making millions of dollars

mackattk

Would really like to snag the new wolverine, don't know if I will be able to or not. Looks like I can't connect to the game right now either. Don't know if it is just me or not, everything else on my phone works fine.

hamchan

Well was rank 20 in the Doom lighting round before this 1 hour maintenance started. Let's see if I get the rewards when it's over.

shaowebb

Server maintenance for the next hour so its downtime.

In the meantime heres a fun topic...

What Marvel character are you hoping for & how should they play?

Me personally I gotta go with IRON FIST. Here are my hoped for abilities

IRON FIST avg health 2-star
yellow cost (6)"Shou Lou the Undying"-heal team with the power of Chi by 100.
Green Cost 10 "Dragon Kick"- turn 3 tiles to red. ANY tiles. Normal damage.Generates AP A good utility against effect tiles
Red Cost 12 "The Power of Chi"- turn 5 random tiles to yellow.normal damage. Generates AP Good battery utility to help teammates and it turns him into the first dedicated healer as this fuels his yellow and his green would fuel this.

I'm sitting on 60,000 ISO and I'm not sure where to dump it. My main cast is:

Thor (max) 5/3/5
Wolvie (68) 5/5/3
Cap (60) 5/5/3
Storm Classic (53) 5/4/3
Black Widow Grey (53) 0/1/5

I've got plenty of levels I can climb with my Modern Hawkeye, Black Widow Original, IM 35, Bullseye, Moonstone, Daken, Yelena, Ares, Venom & Marvel Now Magneto

Are any of the characters above worth leveling?

Also, I've read that a 5/3/5 Wolverine is a better build....I've got a backup at level 6 I've been building at 2/1/5. Worth doing or should I just max my current one?

Classic Spidey, IM40, Patch Wolvie, Hulk, Loki, Classic Mags, Doom, Punisher & Rags are all maxed at low levels based on my limited covers.

Also, I've read that a 5/3/5 Wolverine is a better build.
It's not.

5/3/5 was only better when paired with Rags. It made sense to always run 2 of the strongest characters every time, but that's not feasible. Now with Rags nerfed, 5/5/3 is clearly the better build. Although, that can change again when Wolvie gets nerfed.

You might ask what about Thor? Thor generates yellow tiles making the 8 tile req seem pointless and Wolvie+obw has somewhat replaced Wolvie+Thor anyways.

With the top characters in limbo, m.Hawkeye buff on the horizon, I would just save or go with whoever at this point.

It's not.

5/3/5 was only better when paired with Rags. It made sense to always run 2 of the strongest characters every time, but that's not feasible. Now with Rags nerfed, 5/5/3 is clearly the better build. Although, that can change again when Wolvie gets nerfed.

You might ask what about Thor? Thor generates yellow tiles making the 8 tile req seem pointless and Wolvie+obw has somewhat replaced Wolvie+Thor anyways.

With the top characters in limbo, m.Hawkeye buff on the horizon, I would just save or go with whoever at this point.

Appreciated thanks. Sounds like I should at least invest in obw then.

Benjaminbirdy's "level errybody" doesn't seem like such a bad approach

Plissken

I'd like to see them add Blade. I have no idea how to properly balance costs, but some ability ideas would be:

Black - Cost 8 - Sword Slice - Destroy 4 tiles in a horizontal or vertical line. Deals (X) damage. Does not generate AP from sliced tiles.
Blue - Cost 12 - Silver Stake - Choose any 2 tiles, they are pinned to the board and cannot be moved for 3 turns. After 3 turns, tiles explode and destroy the surrounding tiles doing (X) damage. Does not generate AP.
Red - Passive - Blood Serum - Each time you match red tiles, Blade gains (X) health.

Appreciated thanks. Sounds like I should at least invest in obw then.

Benjaminbirdy's "level errybody" doesn't seem like such a bad approach

:}

I'm now at a really nice place where, with something like Rage and Ruin, I can take a new charac and level the eff out of him but simultaneously do great in an Event.

Lovin' it

shaowebb

I'd like to see them add Blade. I have no idea how to properly balance costs, but some ability ideas would be:

Black - Cost 8 - Sword Slice - Destroy 4 tiles in a horizontal or vertical line. Deals (X) damage. Does not generate AP from sliced tiles.
Blue - Cost 12 - Silver Stake - Choose any 2 tiles, they are pinned to the board and cannot be moved for 3 turns. After 3 turns, tiles explode and destroy the surrounding tiles doing (X) damage. Does not generate AP.
Red - Passive - Blood Serum - Each time you match red tiles, Blade gains (X) health.

That sounds badass. Dude would deal a lot of damage. Sort of like a Wolverine but with straight up attacks like Thor instead of with attack tiles.Figure his health should be about Wolverine to suit this build.

BTW Daken/Thor/Hulk is fucking MONSTROUS. Daken gets insane amounts of attack tiles on the board thanks to Thor and Hulk turns those into attacks. Health is solid, damage everywhere, and the attack bonuses are crazy. Run this sometime if you haven't.

zulux21

grrrr I ended up with a 9th place finish in the loki lightning which nets me just a purple instead of both @_@

i was looking forward to finally having the black skill on loki :/

la_briola

Why can't I upgrade my Storm? I'm missing 2 points in her "black" skill. Have the card two times in my stash, but it doesn't seem to let me upgrade.

edit: 13 points are the max... I didn't know that.

zulux21

I have never gotten remotely close to winning a lighting round. Is there a trick to it??

I just murder faster than I get murdered >.>;

I am also currently tanking the rage and ruin tourney so I might be finding easier enemies from that, but in general I am just running my team with boosters to kill as fast as I can. I just finished the mags tourney in top 50. (the mags and rags tournies are the harder ones to win usually)

my team isn't that special either, just a level 60 wolverine, a level 50 thor, and the default villain (though for the loki one I was using my level 20 loki :p)

Gotchaye

I have never gotten remotely close to winning a lighting round. Is there a trick to it??

It's hard if you don't have a pretty solid roster; it's one big bracket which is disproportionately played by people with high-level characters and where a huge part of doing well is being able to rack up points quickly.

I think I started being able to seriously compete in Lightning Rounds when I had an 85 Wolverine and a 50 or 60 OBW. At this point I can consistently place top 50 or top 25, now that OBW is 85 and I have level ~60 Ragnarok, Hood, and Magneto.

Aside from tanking in some rounds or in other tournaments, something to keep in mind is that you become a much more attractive target with more points, and so it's often counterproductive to try to rack up as many points as possible; that's a good way to get hit three times in the last two minutes. I always had more success just trying to stay in the prize range I was aiming for; I would get attacked much less, whereas as soon as I broke into the top 25 I would get hit a bunch of times and fall to ~100. Anymore I get attacked at most twice per Lightning Round, so I end up having to play fewer than 20 matches to get a Diabolical Token, many of which are against very easy teams.

zulux21

It's hard if you don't have a pretty solid roster; it's one big bracket which is disproportionately played by people with high-level characters and where a huge part of doing well is being able to rack up points quickly.

I think I started being able to seriously compete in Lightning Rounds when I had an 85 Wolverine and a 50 or 60 OBW. At this point I can consistently place top 50 or top 25, now that OBW is 85 and I have level ~60 Ragnarok, Hood, and Magneto.

Aside from tanking in some rounds or in other tournaments, something to keep in mind is that you become a much more attractive target with more points, and so it's often counterproductive to try to rack up as many points as possible; that's a good way to get hit three times in the last two minutes. I always had more success just trying to stay in the prize range I was aiming for; I would get attacked much less, whereas as soon as I broke into the top 25 I would get hit a bunch of times and fall to ~100. Anymore I get attacked at most twice per Lightning Round, so I end up having to play fewer than 20 matches to get a Diabolical Token, many of which are against very easy teams.
it also doesn't make much sense to start right away... I tend to start with 30-40 min left because all of the competition means most people don't get very high so it's not hard to catch up quickly,

Gotchaye

it also doesn't make much sense to start right away... I tend to start with 30-40 min left because all of the competition means most people don't get very high so it's not hard to catch up quickly,

This too, although I find it more convenient to enter as soon as the event opens to beat up on the default villain and two level 1-4 guys teams that the bracket is seeded with. Then I go do something else for 45 minutes. I can get up to 100-120 points in 3-4 minutes, and that's not enough points to be an attractive target as long as your team is at least a little scary.

zulux21

This too, although I find it more convenient to enter as soon as the event opens to beat up on the default villain and two level 1-4 guys teams that the bracket is seeded with. Then I go do something else for 45 minutes. I can get up to 100-120 points in 3-4 minutes, and that's not enough points to be an attractive target as long as your team is at least a little scary.

yeah.... my team isn't all that scary lol. though getting a few in earlier isn't a big deal, it's just pointless to fight the whole time for first.

I just murder faster than I get murdered >.>;

Good feedback thanks!

I've got more than enough ISO to bring Wolverine up to 85 and OBW to...45 based on cover limitations. I guess paired with 85 Thor it is a decent enough team.

I just realized that I regularly press "skip" every time there I find a max level Thor/Wolvie combo in the lightning rounds so I'm probably not doing myself any favors. I've been doing that since I had a brand new team. Old habits die hard!

zulux21

Good feedback thanks!

I've got more than enough ISO to bring Wolverine up to 85 and OBW to...45 based on cover limitations. I guess paired with 85 Thor it is a decent enough team.

I just realized that I regularly press "skip" every time there I find a max level Thor/Wolvie combo in the lightning rounds so I'm probably not doing myself any favors. I've been doing that since I had a brand new team. Old habits die hard!

a max level wolverine isn't all that scary with boosts... typically you can focus and kill them before they do anything meaningful...

also damn the rags lightning rounds are still painful... after the 25 in loki, and 50 in mags, best i could do was muster a top 250 in the rags tourney lol... I got attacked over 30 times in 20 min ><;

shaowebb

Holy crap...thats it Im running Thor/Wolverine/Daken now. The damage is just nuts. EVERYTHING is multiplied to insane levels. Its ridiculous the stuff I can kill with this. If I have any stockpile and green boosts its just laughable how OP it is.

BlackJace

Server maintenance for the next hour so its downtime.

In the meantime heres a fun topic...

What Marvel character are you hoping for & how should they play?

Me personally I gotta go with IRON FIST. Here are my hoped for abilities

IRON FIST avg health 2-star
yellow cost (6)"Shou Lou the Undying"-heal team with the power of Chi by 100.
Green Cost 10 "Dragon Kick"- turn 3 tiles to red. ANY tiles. Normal damage.Generates AP A good utility against effect tiles
Red Cost 12 "The Power of Chi"- turn 5 random tiles to yellow.normal damage. Generates AP Good battery utility to help teammates and it turns him into the first dedicated healer as this fuels his yellow and his green would fuel this.

DEADPOOL
Dark Reign
Rare Character

Red Cost: 9
Katana-rama!: Deadpool goes crazy with his sleek katanas. Deals 400 damage.

Black Cost: 4
Teleport!: Deadpool stays moving on the battlefield using his teleportation device. Swaps 3 special tiles of choice. If there are no special tiles on the board, the teleportation device fails, dealing 110 damage to all combatants.

Yellow Passive
Overheal: The Merc With a Mouth can't easily be killed. Each turn there are at least 6 Red tiles on the board, heal 69 health.

Couldn't really think of much for his passive, but this was a fun diversion. Maybe I'll try another one later.

Holy crap...thats it Im running Thor/Wolverine/Daken now. The damage is just nuts. EVERYTHING is multiplied to insane levels. Its ridiculous the stuff I can kill with this. If I have any stockpile and green boosts its just laughable how OP it is.
Enjoy it while you can before it gets nerfed. I estimate Thor has 2 weeks tops left in him.

zulux21

Enjoy it while you can before it gets nerfed. I estimate Thor has 2 weeks tops left in him.

I'm really curious what they are going to do to thor, because I really don't find him that over powered (aka he seems like a good base line for power)

he only really gets goofy when you join him up with the overpowered wolverine and have a bunch of strike tiles to go with his moves.

I'm expecting thor to end up something like this after seeing rags.

Red move with max covers
9ap, does 10% more damage than it did, only turns 4 titles

yellow move
15 ap, does 10% more damage, only turns 4 titles

green move
stays the same because no one uses it :p

zulux21

Seriously, Call the Storm is so useless.

its way too expensive for what it does.

it would have made things tough if it cycled back and gave 5 random red to allow thor to just go crazy once he has some energy.

either way I am hoping I can get a patch tonight... I have my ares up to 30 and ideally will have him up around 35 before i start the current tournament... ideally that will be strong enough that people wont want to attack me much >.>;

Gotchaye

I'm really curious what they are going to do to thor, because I really don't find him that over powered (aka he seems like a good base line for power)

His abilities wouldn't be insane on a character with much less HP, but as-is he's really hard-hitting and also has more health than any other 2*. Wolverine's abilities are probably overall better, but Thor has 50% more HP. When you're putting up a team for defense in PvP, Thor is easily the best 1* or 2* character to include, and beats out several 3* characters.

Now, I like Thor's damage output relative to other characters' HP. I wish they'd hand out more offensive buffs to make battles faster and to make characters matter more relative to matching gems. So my ideal Thor fix would just be to reduce his HP by 1000 or so and see what that does. Maybe make his red cost a little more.

zulux21

His abilities wouldn't be insane on a character with much less HP, but as-is he's really hard-hitting and also has more health than any other 2*. Wolverine's abilities are probably overall better, but Thor has 50% more HP. When you're putting up a team for defense in PvP, Thor is easily the best 1* or 2* character to include, and beats out several 3* characters.

Now, I like Thor's damage output relative to other characters' HP. I wish they'd hand out more offensive buffs to make battles faster and to make characters matter more relative to matching gems. So my ideal Thor fix would just be to reduce his HP by 1000 or so and see what that does. Maybe make his red cost a little more.

I suppose I can see that... it never really crossed my mind as it typically takes me more effort to kill wolverine than thor due to his regen :p

Top Bottom