• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

cobell

I realized my Thor is a 5-4-5.

Don't know how that happened.

You probably leveled up that Thor when skill levels were in that older ranking (up to 50? I think it was), so when they switched over to the new system, you ended up having skills over the current limit.

animus82

Banned
im down for an alliance...

also... classic storm + thor + stage with oasis.... is stupid...

with a lucky 5 red match I can beat at level 200 team before they take a turn with a level 25 storm and 50 thor >.>:

hmmm round 2 will only net you 2.5k iso per difficulty instead of 5k on the last mission...
still nice but a little disappointing :p

Is there any way of knowing what environment you ill be playing in?

Dispatch

I'm getting really sick of this.

Almost every time I get a two star token, it ends up just increasing the standard one star button. Today is the fifth or six time this week that I've been rewarded with a two star, but can't actually claim anything above a one star.

Am I alone in this or is anybody else seeing it?

This happened to me, too. I earned two heroic tokens in the Hard Mode and three 1-star tokens in the normal mode. I ended up with 5 1-star covers. So, no, you're not alone. I did end up pulling a classic Magneto, so that's okay.

jurgen

Really loving this event.
probably because I'm doing decently

Same here. It's my first time actually feeling prepared for it. Landed first place for both normal and hard simulations last night and I'm on track for the two current simulations.

Also sitting about 6k higher up on the overall leader board than second place. That just feels awesome.

shaowebb

I'm probably not gonna get psylocke. I just dont have time to play this. I got physics and circuitry work piling up due to snow days and professor cancelations and CG and art for a private project backing up on me. Oh well. Some other time.

I'm probably not gonna get psylocke. I just dont have time to play this. I got physics and circuitry work piling up due to snow days and professor cancelations and CG and art for a private project backing up on me. Oh well. Some other time.

Get your priorities straight! :)

zulux21

Is there any way of knowing what environment you ill be playing in?

when you look at the enemies when you select an event in either pve or pvp you can see the environment in the background.

also I am liking this event less and less, it started out alright but the stupid level creep is happening again. my starting match in the normal is now 90, with the 4th match being 190... most of my hard is all 230s now -_-

the normal should cap out at around 100 max so that someone with a mid range team might actually still be able to do something...
they say that they have this scaling and what not so that people with beast teams aren't just having a cakewalk... but it really feels like the only teams that can do much are the beast teams and that paying is going to be the only real way to do well anymore... which is not a good incentive for me to give them money (i tend to give free to play companies money because I enjoyed their game not because I want to do more/well)

jurgen

also I am liking this event less and less, it started out alright but the stupid level creep is happening again. my starting match in the normal is now 90, with the 4th match being 190... most of my hard is all 230s now -_-

the normal should cap out at around 100 max so that someone with a mid range team might actually still be able to do something...
they say that they have this scaling and what not so that people with beast teams aren't just having a cakewalk... but it really feels like the only teams that can do much are the beast teams and that paying is going to be the only real way to do well anymore... which is not a good incentive for me to give them money (i tend to give free to play companies money because I enjoyed their game not because I want to do more/well)

Yeah, a cap on normal would seem like a no-brainer with set, lower amount of rewards. I've been beasting through with my lineup and now both normal and hard simulators have the same level enemies (230ish). It makes normal mode seem completely pointless for the amount of points you can get. I'm only doing normal enough to get a reward token or two, but not pushing for the top spot like I am in hard mode. Still haven't dropped any cash on it, though.

NineH

when you look at the enemies when you select an event in either pve or pvp you can see the environment in the background.

I've been playing this game for a while now and never noticed that. Thanks for pointing that out and now I feel silly.

zulux21

Mind if I ask what level your highest hero is zulux21?

nope not at all, though I figure best way to do that is just a screen shot :p
6Yow8.jpg
I'm doing the more evenly leveled plan that another user is using here.

In general it's not so much that I can't handle the higher level matches, it's more I don't find them enjoyable and they are super frustrating when a bad cascade just wipes me. I have for the most part gotten by without spending money (my friend got me the $40 pack on steam which was 8k iso and 2.9k coins, which I am a little below right now, but I also have a completely empty slot in my roster lol. I've tried to not have the HP below that amount he gave me, and don't honestly feel 8k iso is enough to matter in general so I don't care about that lol)

The most frustrating part to this whole level creep thing though is the fact that I know if I was at home 2 hours from now I would be able to easily clear normal and hard without using any health packs... but by the time I get home from work I might not be able to get anywhere at all because the levels will be much higher on both (round two when the event changed the highest match I had on hard was in the 90s.)

Davidion

Me neither.

Mine came through pretty quick. Sometimes it take a little bit for everything to process, I think.

That having been said, I've won six highly trained 2-star tokens from this tournament so far, and got THREE C.storms, two moonstones, and one OBW. I actually started a second C.Storm just for kicks. Not sure if I should be annoyed at lack of variety.

shaowebb

The hell...!?!
I just got a regular recruit token while taking a break from physics and it gave me a yellow cover for Patch!

Also I now have a level 63 5/4/4 Classic Storm and she kills whole teams by herself. Just give her a decent meatshield and your set. Her blue is now KILLING whole teams. If I respec later it'll be to give her more blue as a 4/5/4. Thing is I dont know if I should...her green isn't too special till lvl 5 and thats marching her to those blue shots.

EDIT: And now a green Hulk cover from another recruit token!? The hell is this?

w2000

On the mobile version, I have pretty much made C. Storm my priority because of this event. That blue will help against way higher level teams. It seems to me that the rounds are getting weaker because I went through it on the PC version without any problems at all. I find it funny that today I got a Dr. Doom cover right when the round that is using him starts.

nope not at all, though I figure best way to do that is just a screen shot :p

I'm doing the more evenly leveled plan that another user is using here.

You need a few heroes higher if you want to be able to compete in the events that level adjust. Once upon a time it was just the points that creeped, so you could farm the easier fights to death with mid level heroes, but now that the level increases you need higher level heroes for their survivability and increased damage. My heroes are largely even in level, but I made sure to dump ISO into heroes that were the focus of certain events (Modern Hawkeye, Thor, Wolverine, Captain America are all 80-85 for me) as to maximize my gains from that event. Not only was I gaining because they were gaining levels, but because they were buffed for the event the gains were doubled.

The hell...!?!
I just got a regular recruit token while taking a break from physics and it gave me a yellow cover for Patch!

Also I now have a level 63 5/4/4 Classic Storm and she kills whole teams by herself. Just give her a decent meatshield and your set. Her blue is now KILLING whole teams. If I respec later it'll be to give her more blue as a 4/5/4. Thing is I dont know if I should...her green isn't too special till lvl 5 and thats marching her to those blue shots.

EDIT: And now a green Hulk cover from another recruit token!? The hell is this?

Basic Recruit Tokens technically allow you to get any hero in the game. It's just that they are most likely to give you 1-2 star heroes. I get craploads of Modern Storm, Venom, and Iron man covers, but every so often a Thor, Captain America, or Dr Doom pop up.

And Classic Storm is a beast. Before they nerfed her Yellow ability she was absolutely broken and a requirement for PvP (way more than Thor/Wolverine ever were). I stopped leveling her around 50 when that nerf kicked in, but since they nerfed Wolverine and Thor I picked her up for this event and have her up to 66. Shooting to get her to 80 or 85 before it ends. Her blue ability is just dumb. Stun a target and ~2200 damage to all enemies? Silly. If you get lucky enough you can win most fights in 3-4 turns, or sometimes even less with boosts and god tier luck.

Dispatch

And Classic Storm is a beast. Before they nerfed her Yellow ability she was absolutely broken and a requirement for PvP (way more than Thor/Wolverine ever were). I stopped leveling her around 50 when that nerf kicked in, but since they nerfed Wolverine and Thor I picked her up for this event and have her up to 66. Shooting to get her to 80 or 85 before it ends. Her blue ability is just dumb. Stun a target and ~2200 damage to all enemies? Silly. If you get lucky enough you can win most fights in 3-4 turns, or sometimes even less with boosts and god tier luck.

Ugh, it was such a mistake that I have her at 5/3/5. I was using her with modern Black Widow, felt the stun was redundant, and wanted her yellow retaliation and green AP building powers maxed. C'mon respec update!

shaowebb

Basic Recruit Tokens technically allow you to get any hero in the game. It's just that they are most likely to give you 1-2 star heroes. I get craploads of Modern Storm, Venom, and Iron man covers, but every so often a Thor, Captain America, or Dr Doom pop up.

I know that the tokens pump out randoms but the odds of nailing 2 hard to find 3 stars like that is pretty low to do in a row. Crazy luck lately...

Also, yeah I agree on C. Storm. Its why I've been rockin her since the Daredevil tourney as the linchpin of my event teams :D
She's got over 2 grand in health natural now for me and is over level 65 and climbing right now. Puts in the work. Right now I got her Doom and Daken rockin' 90% of this. Doom is a meatshield with hit tiles considering mine is sporting over 6k in health. Easy covers if I have time to play.

Ugh, it was such a mistake that I have her at 5/3/5. I was using her with modern Black Widow, felt the stun was redundant, and wanted her yellow retaliation and green AP building powers maxed. C'mon respec update!

I have her at 4/4/5 which isn't terrible. I ideally would have 5/5/3 if I could do it over again. Her Green ability and Blue ability are just too good to pass up.

I know that the tokens pump out randoms but the odds of nailing 2 hard to find 3 stars like that is pretty low to do in a row. Crazy luck lately...

Also, yeah I agree on C. Storm. Its why I've been rockin her since the Daredevil tourney as the linchpin of my event teams :D
She's got over 2 grand in health natural now for me and is over level 65 and climbing right now. Puts in the work. Right now I got her Doom and Daken rockin' 90% of this. Doom is a meatshield with hit tiles considering mine is sporting over 6k in health. Easy covers if I have time to play.

I've gotten weirder pulls. I got an Iron Man Model 40 followed by an X-Force Wolverine the other day. I nearly shit bricks...

I actually have her at 76, I remembered incorrectly when I posted earlier. I have been bouncing around a lot trying to find good supporting characters. The random restrictions they throw in aren't helping my case. I have a Dr. Doom at like 46 with 4/1 (buffed he still hits like a truck) and gave up on Daken a while ago (kind of regret it). I wish Captain America's abilities either did more damage or cost less AP, because he's my other near max character. I've basically been using C. Storm with a combination of Astonishing Wolverine, Iron Man Model 40, Thor, Captain America, and Modern Hawkeye.

BlackJace

Classic Storm is still getting a good amount of mileage from me, even with the nerf.

She's a little fragile, but gotta that Wind Storm.

hamchan

Now that I have a char at lvl 141 and another close to that I feel there's not that much left to do. Trying to get near the top of tournaments is more difficult now because I'm facing other lvl 100+ teams.

I've reached the end of the grind for a hero and I don't feel like starting that with another one.

Now that I have a char at lvl 141 and another close to that I feel there's not that much left to do. Trying to get near the top of tournaments is more difficult now because I'm facing other lvl 100+ teams.

I've reached the end of the grind for a hero and I don't feel like starting that with another one.

Do I even need it say it?

;D

Gotchaye

I think I've got to give up on top 10 placement and all three Psylocke covers. It'd just be way too much of a grind and I'm already 10k points behind the guy in 10th place. Hopefully they give away covers like she's Punisher or Daredevil instead of hoarding them like she's Hulk.

I think I've got to give up on top 10 placement and all three Psylocke covers. It'd just be way too much of a grind and I'm already 10k points behind the guy in 10th place. Hopefully they give away covers like she's Punisher or Daredevil instead of hoarding them like she's Hulk.

Well, you only need one cover to get sure that you won't miss any battle in future PVE events. And then, wait and other covers will come. She shares too much colors with Magneto (that is one of the best 3-star characters) to be a mandatory character.

Right now I'm very far away to get any cover (I'm 110 in main event), but I entered this round too late, and I was not able to fight most of the hard battles. Next round i'll play intensively to enter in the top-75.

zulux21

Well, you only need one cover to get sure that you won't miss any battle in future PVE events. And then, wait and other covers will come. She shares too much colors with Magneto (that is one of the best 3-star characters) to be a mandatory character.

Right now I'm very far away to get any cover (I'm 110 in main event), but I entered this round too late, and I was not able to fight most of the hard battles. Next round i'll play intensively to enter in the top-75.

im hovering around 65 myself, but i also just got my carrot off the stick (the yellow patch) so I will likely have less motivation to grind battles.

as for magneto... well he might not be one of the best 3 stars for much longer so she might become a good alternative.

I've been hovering inside top 100. The level scaling is taking a toll on me now. Stuck facing level 120-180's in every single fight of the hard mode. The trade off is that I got the joy of being ranked 1st this morning after the reset by winning a single fight for 1500 pts lol. I have pretty consistantly finished top 50 in both but still am hovering around 80-100 for the overall event.

I haven't got a decent cover in ages. Maxed out my top characters and most of my lower ones, so I'm gonna run out of places to put my ISO soon. I'm cursed with getting nothing by Cap covers these days.

My Iron Man 40 is so close to becoming a beast. And none of my other three stars have enough covers to be useful yet.

zulux21

I haven't got a decent cover in ages. Maxed out my top characters and most of my lower ones, so I'm gonna run out of places to put my ISO soon. I'm cursed with getting nothing by Cap covers these days.

My Iron Man 40 is so close to becoming a beast. And none of my other three stars have enough covers to be useful yet.

I have had decent luck recently.
Got my black loki from daily (day 75 i think it was is where pc users are at) and got a recruit token from my match that i did to get my daily and got a daredevil from that...

either way i am just working on a few characters right now... my level 50 storm thor team is good enough to take out level 230s... even if it does take forever lol... so I am just aiming to power up the characters I use for now.

I have gotten nothing but Cap and Astonishing Wolverine covers since the day I maxed them out (after fighting tooth and nail to get to that point). I got a Daredevil cover using some spare coins which was nice, but I don't know that I would ever really use him. The one hero I want to get more covers of is Spider-Man since he's apparently busted as hell and can chain stun the entire opposing team for like 6 Blue AP, on top of having one of (if not the) best heals in the game.

I've been stuck at 3/0/3 Iron Man 40 for weeks now. I really want to get a couple points in his Blue but just cannot seem to get the covers. While I appreciate the focus on new heroes, it would be nice to see some of the 3/4 Star older covers pop up in these events. I have more than enough Thors, A-Wolverines, and Captain America's, as well as having sold a bazillion OBW and Moonstones. What I need are Iron Man Model 40, X-Force Wolverine, and even some Punishers would be nice.

I have gotten nothing but Cap and Astonishing Wolverine covers since the day I maxed them out (after fighting tooth and nail to get to that point). I got a Daredevil cover using some spare coins which was nice, but I don't know that I would ever really use him. The one hero I want to get more covers of is Spider-Man since he's apparently busted as hell and can chain stun the entire opposing team for like 6 Blue AP, on top of having one of (if not the) best heals in the game.

I've been stuck at 3/0/3 Iron Man 40 for weeks now. I really want to get a couple points in his Blue but just cannot seem to get the covers. While I appreciate the focus on new heroes, it would be nice to see some of the 3/4 Star older covers pop up in these events. I have more than enough Thors, A-Wolverines, and Captain America's, as well as having sold a bazillion OBW and Moonstones. What I need are Iron Man Model 40, X-Force Wolverine, and even some Punishers would be nice.

I wonder if there's a way to set up an auction house-type system where we could assign value to the covers and trade them for something better. Like a math trade on Board Game Geek, or how something like Goozex works (if it's still around). That would be cool, but probably too late to implement.

Which is better out of the two Magnetos? I had written him off as lame, but when I used his powered-up version in the 2nd round, I was blown away. He was a great counterpart to my Thor/Modern Storm team, because I actually had a use for the blue and purple. His blue power is cool for getting rid of countdown tiles, so taking on Maggia was a breeze.

zulux21

I wonder if there's a way to set up an auction house-type system where we could assign value to the covers and trade them for something better. Like a math trade on Board Game Geek, or how something like Goozex works (if it's still around). That would be cool, but probably too late to implement.

Which is better out of the two Magnetos? I had written him off as lame, but when I used his powered-up version in the 2nd round, I was blown away. He was a great counterpart to my Thor/Modern Storm team, because I actually had a use for the blue and purple. His blue power is cool for getting rid of countdown tiles, so taking on Maggia was a breeze.

I don't really see any reason why they would want to put in any sort of system where the player could get more for their covers... they want people to spend money on HP to buy packs from them, not spend stuff to get stuff from other players.

as for mags, the 3 star is amazing.... i wish i had more of him... but alas... he is going to get neutered soon.

NomarTyme

Showing the roster is the best and worst thing that happen. These fucking weak ass roster on top is ridiculous. Barely got top 5 in hard mode.

Got 1 cap, 1 classic storm, and one Moonstone. fuck this tourney.

zulux21

Showing the roster is the best and worst thing that happen. These fucking weak ass roster on top is ridiculous. Barely got top 5 in hard mode.

oh crap that ended tonight...
*checks*
oh hey I still got a top 10 in hard mode lol...
go team level 50 repeatedly being the 230 team for lots of points.

NomarTyme

oh crap that ended tonight...
*checks*
oh hey I still got a top 10 in hard mode lol...
go team level 50 repeatedly being the 230 team for lots of points.

Are you talking about beating them in sand levels? or you using her outside because I'm having a tough time do that. Any tips would help me.

zulux21

Are you talking about beating them in sand levels? or you using her outside because I'm having a tough time do that. Any tips would help me.

nah I was doing it on the rooftops.
my team was 2 star widow, 1 star storm and thor
Step 1, I used some boosts to get some AP in my pool a battery going.
step 2, match any 4+ moves i can if none I aim for a red to pair with my boosts to remove the element tiles to have a better chance at more 4+ moves... I want a lot of every color AP so 4+ matches are important... just focusing on 1-2 colors results in the battery dying quick.
step 3, after I collect enough ap I trigger the battery.... on the rooftops it's hard to keep it going forever, thus what my 2 star widow is there for... I use the battery to fuel her purpler and blue moves to steal all of their AP (well minus purple because I only have 3 covers :p) and heal myself to full (usually when I start the battery I have less than 1k hp on each character)... usually when the battery dies it's just a match or two away from going off again thus I just need to take those few hits while at full hp again and start all over.

I think I ended up doing 10 or so matches against the last level 230 team in the match that gave you a lot of points (the one whose reward is the large amount of iso) and I only lost once... and that was because one time when the battery died I accidentally made a 5 match on the board for them to take which cascaded into another 5 match using a crit and ended my storm BOOM >.>;

NomarTyme

nah I was doing it on the rooftops.
my team was 2 star widow, 1 star storm and thor
Step 1, I used some boosts to get some AP in my pool a battery going.
step 2, match any 4+ moves i can if none I aim for a red to pair with my boosts to remove the element tiles to have a better chance at more 4+ moves... I want a lot of every color AP so 4+ matches are important... just focusing on 1-2 colors results in the battery dying quick.
step 3, after I collect enough ap I trigger the battery.... on the rooftops it's hard to keep it going forever, thus what my 2 star widow is there for... I use the battery to fuel her purpler and blue moves to steal all of their AP (well minus purple because I only have 3 covers :p) and heal myself to full (usually when I start the battery I have less than 1k hp on each character)... usually when the battery dies it's just a match or two away from going off again thus I just need to take those few hits while at full hp again and start all over.

I think I ended up doing 10 or so matches against the last level 230 team in the match that gave you a lot of points (the one whose reward is the large amount of iso) and I only lost once... and that was because one time when the battery died I accidentally made a 5 match on the board for them to take which cascaded into another 5 match using a crit and ended my storm BOOM >.>;

Wow, thanks. Well use this info.

zulux21

Wow, thanks. Well use this info.

no problem... fair warning though... the matches take a while to resolve lol
taking out 30k life 300 damage at a time takes a while :p (it would be a little faster if my thor and widow were max level)

I tried using the two star storm (even bought the two green covers I was missing with HP) but she is just to slow to get going.

the 1 star storm gets you 16 tiles removed, usually without many element tiles for 10
the 2 star storm gets you 16 tiles removed only if you have 16 ap for 12 and will often have element tiles involved so you get less ap back... thus you need near max green on her for her to really be able to go off... if you can get it she does really speed up the murder (especially since she is boosted right now thus her blue move is so yummy)... but my success rate is much lower with her.

Ohhhh hahahahahahaha YES.

Hulk is the three star fully boosted charac for the final round.

This is gonna be FUN.

(Except for the ISO Fest match where you have to FIGHT a fully boosted Hulk. That was NOT fun.)

animus82

Banned
Ohhhh hahahahahahaha YES.

Hulk is the three star fully boosted charac for the final round.

This is gonna be FUN.

(Except for the ISO Fest match where you have to FIGHT a fully boosted Hulk. That was NOT fun.)

THAT shit was not fun you guys!! Hard MODE Huld jacked me up. His smash did like 5000 dmg.... I have a solid 2 star team and there is no way I could hang.

komarkaze

I discovered this game a month ago and have been hooked like crazy. I even made it to the top 10 for the first time in the Dr. Doom event last night. I don't have any other 3 star characters as I don't have many available slots, but I happened to have a Doom recently. Struggling to stay in the top 10 up until midnight was pretty stressful but fun.

Top Bottom