• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

zulux21

more info
Alright my friend maxed his to 141 and made a 5/3/5
Health: 5800
Damage: 67:red
60:blue
52:black

Red: Psychic Knife 5/5
Cost:8
Deals 965 damage, creates a 192 strength red strike tile. Reduces cost per strike tile on the board.

Black: Psi Katana 5/5
Cost: 6
Deals 965 damage and leaves the enemy bleeding. Converting a black tile into a 231 attack tile that damages the current opponent each turn.
I have to imagine that the red move has a bit more text on it like still the 3 strike tile reduction cap... otherwise the move would go free >.>;
confirmed the 3 strike tile limit still exists.

welp she isn't all that amazing and they already nerfed psylocke ><;
New PVE Episode 4! Iso-8 Brotherhood
Magneto claims to not have anything to do with this new Brotherhood, but evidence suggests otherwise. Investigate further with Magneto and Psylocke's help.
- Buffed characters for this Event: Psylocke, Punisher, Daredevil, Captain America, Magneto (Marvel NOW!), Storm (Classic)
- New areas will appear once Agents have cleared missions on the main world map, furthering the story and allowing for more chances to gain more power.
- Points per mission have a rubber banding effect depending on your overall placement (ignoring brackets). This means that if your score is lower than the average for the position that you're in, your missions will be worth more compared to others in that same position. IE, if Bracket Alpha's 1st place has 750 points and Bracket Zeta has 500, Zeta's 1st will gain more points from missions to equalize brackets. This will filter down to lower ratings as well, since naturally in that case, 50th would necessarily be lower in Zeta compared to Alpha. This has the effect of allowing brackets to push higher as a group to achieve the further out rewards.
- PVE Scaling is in effect for the sub-events. This means that as Agents consistently complete missions and defeat opponents, enemies will raise in difficulty.
- The main Event score is bracketed to 1000 while the sub-events are bracketed to 200 Agents.

Special Comic Cover Pack available during the Event
Assault Team - Hero Point Pack containing all Iso-8 buffed characters.
Assault Team 10 Pack- Hero Point Pack containing a Guaranteed Psylocke and 9 other Iso-8 buffed character comic covers.

Character Changes
Psylocke - Bewilder: AP cost changed from 8 to 10.

bewilder is her blue ability btw :p

personally I actually have a pretty big issue with them doing this... they had her up for a week plus where they could have changed the cost before anyone had her... and now as soon as people were able to put money into the blue move if they liked it they changed the ap cost for the worse... this is rather scummy business practice :/

jurgen

I'm conflicted about this new PvE event. I'm easily going to beast through it because Now Magneto is one of my mains, but I feel this is inevitably going to lead to him getting a nerf.

BlackJace

Considering how lame most Environmental abilities are, Black Panther's Yellow ability really only seems viable when paired with Storm's Red ability.

Gotchaye

Yeah, Panther doesn't look terribly impressive, especially that yellow. But protect tiles are always nice, and his black ought to do some really impressive AoE damage when maxed. The drawback isn't much of one, since the other team's largest AP pool is probably also a color they don't use.

Also, someone pointed out on the official forums that the 1* tournament's associated store entry is actually a very good way to convert HP into ISO. Once per day, 300 HP gets you 3000 ISO and something like 6 1* covers. Once per day, 500 HP gets you 5000 ISO and something like 10 1* covers. This is about 4x better than the exchange rates implied by the cash shop, and is fantastic if you've got a bunch of extra HP sitting around.

jurgen

Also, someone pointed out on the official forums that the 1* tournament's associated store entry is actually a very good way to convert HP into ISO. Once per day, 300 HP gets you 3000 ISO and something like 6 1* covers. Once per day, 500 HP gets you 5000 ISO and something like 10 1* covers. This is about 4x better than the exchange rates implied by the cash shop, and is fantastic if you've got a bunch of extra HP sitting around.

I wish there were a way to convert extra ISO into HP. I've got about 35k in surplus sitting around and I'm just constantly building on it as I'm waiting for upgrades on my three-star characters. My two and one-stars are all maxed out.

Of course, I've been playing this since launch and have a lot of time under my belt, but now I only play for the two hours a day I'm on the treadmill at the gym.

I think I'm officially shifting away from starting late on PVEs. It's clear that overall performance is going to impact your enemy levels so if you wait too long you're basically locked out of Hard level stuff. I think it might keep me from a Black Panther this time around, but it's looking (hopefully) like we can now expect a steady stream of PVE gameplay, which means there's just way way way more opportunities to get covers.

That said, I'm at 75 before even starting the easy Subevent (and having cleared a round of everything in Hard) so I think I'll be okay. I waited about 90 minutes after launch to join. I think that's a fair length to weed out the truly insane.

BlackJace

Yeah, looks like I'm out on the Lone Star tourney, I only have 2 1-Stars lol: Iron Man and Classic Black Widow. Both are maxed out though.

animus82

Banned
Considering how lame most Environmental abilities are, Black Panther's Yellow ability really only seems viable when paired with Storm's Red ability.

Since they are married, that's probably what they were going for? Yeah, I'm not too impressed with him or Psylocke to be honest.

jurgen

Since they are married, that's probably what they were going for? Yeah, I'm not too impressed with him or Psylocke to be honest.

Actually... *pushes up nerd glasses* They aren't married anymore.

But Psylocke's alright. Her red's decreasing cost over time makes for some interesting momentum mechanics.

Askani

Got an Iso-8 Brotherhood token. Pulled another red Psylocke.

Either I'm fairly lucky or she's not going to be super rare.

But Psylocke's alright. Her red's decreasing cost over time makes for some interesting momentum mechanics.

I didn't even look at her abilities when I made my party for the first match the event gives her to you to use, because I was fighting trivial easy guys. Turns out she pairs with Daken quite well!

Gotchaye

Psylocke works pretty well with Patch. She's not quite OBW, but she's much more durable and offers an easy 3 extra procs of your strike tiles on the turn you use Patch's green (1 from her red and 2 from her black). Pretty much tearing through the missions where she's required.

shaowebb

Managed to get Psylocke out of the tourney. Saw the Marvel Now Magneto emphasis on this event and got excited. Mine is at 3/0/3 and he's been a background priority to use if I could ever get the covers for the guy. Looks like my time is here.

Got I Psylocke, thanks to the advice of using the Modern Storm + Thor (in my case, Modern Storm + OBW + Ares). I went easily from 100 to 60 in the leaderboard, in the last hours.

And I was lucky, because Psylocke seems mandatory for some missions of Chapter 4.

It seems that the enemies increase in this chapter, in a similar way than the last event. Finally the devs found a way to prevent the "play only a few matches at the end" exploit, and now you have to play often if you want to be on top.

Totally in love with Patch, now that is level 102, and has most of the tiles of the board. If you build a green and a red attack, you can defeat most of the battles. The only drawback is that you can fail a match that you were winning if you try to use their skills too early. Also, is a great fighter against mobs.

It's a pity that, even if I have all the buffed characters, the most leveled one is Punisher, at 50, and I don't really like their skills. I should level MN Magneto. I have it full-skilled, but still at level 6.

NomarTyme

It's a pity that, even if I have all the buffed characters, the most leveled one is Punisher, at 50, and I don't really like their skills. I should level MN Magneto. I have it full-skilled, but still at level 6.

Punisher black skills is pretty good and it does really good damage for me.

Punisher black skills is pretty good and it does really good damage for me.

It's not an amazing skill, but there aren't too many useful black skills (except the overpowered Dr. Doom one). The problem is that the red-green on Punisher (specially if he's buffed) nerf Patch red skill (that needs to have his symbol in as many pieces as possible). Is still better than Hulk (with his green skill that don't give AP and red that can damage your own team), but there are much better 3-star (or even 2 star). I'll get a 85 Ares over a 100 Punisher anytime. My 85 Ares has saved my ass more times that I can remember.

NomarTyme

Is not as great, but there aren't too many useful black skills (except the overpowered Dr. Doom one). The problem is that the red-green on Punisher (specially if he's buffed) nerf Patch red skill (that needs to have his symbol in as many pieces as possible). Is better than Hulk, but there are much better 3-star (or even 2 star). I'll get a 85 Ares over a 100 Punisher anytime.
Your low level buffed Punisher shouldn't have stronger red/yellow/green than your over 100 level Patch though. My Punisher is level 70 and he is still lower than Patch on Green/Yellow/Red. And Yeah if you want to go all out offense attack, then Ares would be your man. I like Punisher because he is a nice support guy.

Your low level buffed Punisher shouldn't have stronger red/yellow/green than your over 100 level Patch though. My Punisher is level 70 and he is still lower than Patch on Green/Yellow/Red. And Yeah if you want to go all out offense attack, then Ares would be your man. I like Punisher because he is a nice support guy.

Yeah, I mean in long term, fully leveled. But I realised that Punisher main is black, second green and third red, so, with both characters at same level, Punisher will never override Patch colors.

NomarTyme

Yeah, I mean in long term, fully leveled. But I realised that Punisher main is black, second green and third red, so, with both characters at same level, Punisher will never override Patch colors.
Yeah Green and Black are a must have. My current setup for Punisher is 4/3/5, but I thinking about just going max Black/Green. Red is awesome for crazy people with high HP but if I'm gonna use Patch then I might want to just forget about the red for Punisher.

Gotchaye

Yeah Green and Black are a must have. My current setup for Punisher is 4/3/5, but I thinking about just going max Black/Green. Red is awesome for crazy people with high HP but if I'm gonna use Patch then I might want to just forget about the red for Punisher.

I pretty much went the other way with this. Punisher's green gets no use when Patch is on the team because Patch's green lays down many more strike tiles. It's still valuable to have Patch tanking all three of his colors because he's a regen tank, but with Wolverine's green on the field his level 3 red is not that impressive compared to Punisher's red, especially at level 5. Punisher's is nearly half the cost of Wolverine's, and downing at 40% makes a huge difference against the level 230s the PvE missions love to throw at us.

But the main appeal of Punisher/Patch is being able to use Punisher's black right after Patch's green. Every character on the enemy team takes ~1500 damage instantly, and with level 5 black the lead character takes an extra ~1200 damage one turn before they otherwise would.

NomarTyme

I pretty much went the other way with this. Punisher's green gets no use when Patch is on the team because Patch's green lays down many more strike tiles. It's still valuable to have Patch tanking all three of his colors because he's a regen tank, but with Wolverine's green on the field his level 3 red is not that impressive compared to Punisher's red, especially at level 5. Punisher's is nearly half the cost of Wolverine's, and downing at 40% makes a huge difference against the level 230s the PvE missions love to throw at us.

But the main appeal of Punisher/Patch is being able to use Punisher's black right after Patch's green. Every character on the enemy team takes ~1500 damage instantly, and with level 5 black the lead character takes an extra ~1200 damage one turn before they otherwise would.

Hm I see what you mean but I don't like the damage you get from using Patch green ability. Especially if those 230s level start cascading on your ass.

Shit I going back and forth with the builds. Damn you Gotchaye!

So what are the go to teams for this ISO 8 Brotherhood event? I started the first one with black widow original cause I was thinking I was just gonna delay all attacks but that didn't work well, do they steal colors from you? I have Magneto Now leveled up pretty well.

Gotchaye

So what are the go to teams for this ISO 8 Brotherhood event? I started the first one with black widow original cause I was thinking I was just gonna delay all attacks but that didn't work well, do they steal colors from you? I have Magneto Now leveled up pretty well.

Patch, OBW, and Spider-Man are my default team for this one as they've been for most PvEs. Patch and OBW together have unparalleled damage output, Patch covers 3 colors and is invulnerable until skills start coming out, and Spider-Man can stun enemy heroes to negate the strike tiles Patch gives the other team or can stun enemy goons to stop a countdown timer at the last minute.

NomarTyme

I want to rip my penis off with the Ares, Venom, and Rags Fight. If you don't collect the green or black you get fuck up bad. Then if you let your guard down Ares fuck you up with Sunder.

shaowebb

Working on a new character team structure as a backup. Captain America with a 5 star blue cover essentially yields a stun every 2 turns stun locking one member of their team and he can also lay down some SERIOUS protect tile meaning they kill slow and I kill easier. Gonna experiment with partners but I'm thinking I may have a character capable of yielding setups as nutty as Thor/Storm soon. My first goal is to find someone who has a tactic that generally needs a little time bought to pull it off and see if Cap can do this for them. So far he works with battery characters too....just cant mass tile pop at random with him.

Im betting I can put Marvel Now Magneto with him and yield good things.

I want to rip my penis off with the Ares, Venom, and Rags Fight. If you don't collect the green or black you get fuck up bad. Then if you let your guard down Ares fuck you up with Sunder.

Prioritize Ares in all fights...even the empiricist ones. His damage is too good and easy to get so hit him first. Prioritize hitting green, red and yellow on the board to slow him down during that portion of the fight. This subsequently nerfs any retaliation from Rags leaving only Venom who is a bit slow to get going and only a threat for Stuns.

Your best bet is to use a team that prioritizes green usage vs them as the board will flood with it and this "play to gimp their AP" strategy will actually fuel your tactics.

I suggest using the following in some effect.
DAKEN-any green will accelerate their own death
STORM/THOR- Battery train will really mess with this team. because it lets you take their ability to get attacks of multiple colors and ignore it by popping all their options and converting them to just your colors
CLASSIC STORM-fish for blue and hit their whole team for 2200 and a stun for 10 blue. ABSOLUTELY WRECKS EVERYTHING (requires blue covers though)
JUGGERNAUT/OBW-This side team is one I use occassionally and it works well here. OBW heals juggs and he hits faster with red/ green than the opponents.

Also, Spiderman with blue covers cause broooooooooooken

Dispatch

I've been using Modern Storm, Original Black Widow, and Thor. Once you get going, it's tough to beat. Widow feeds Storm, or Storm feeds Widwo, Storm feeds Thor, who feeds Storm, who feeds Thor, all while Widow keeps the enemy drained of AP.

NomarTyme

Working on a new character team structure as a backup. Captain America with a 5 star blue cover essentially yields a stun every 2 turns stun locking one member of their team and he can also lay down some SERIOUS protect tile meaning they kill slow and I kill easier. Gonna experiment with partners but I'm thinking I may have a character capable of yielding setups as nutty as Thor/Storm soon. My first goal is to find someone who has a tactic that generally needs a little time bought to pull it off and see if Cap can do this for them. So far he works with battery characters too....just cant mass tile pop at random with him.

Im betting I can put Marvel Now Magneto with him and yield good things.

Prioritize Ares in all fights...even the empiricist ones. His damage is too good and easy to get so hit him first. Prioritize hitting green, red and yellow on the board to slow him down during that portion of the fight. This subsequently nerfs any retaliation from Rags leaving only Venom who is a bit slow to get going and only a threat for Stuns.

Your best bet is to use a team that prioritizes green usage vs them as the board will flood with it and this "play to gimp their AP" strategy will actually fuel your tactics.

I suggest using the following in some effect.
DAKEN-any green will accelerate their own death
STORM/THOR- Battery train will really mess with this team. because it lets you take their ability to get attacks of multiple colors and ignore it by popping all their options and converting them to just your colors
CLASSIC STORM-fish for blue and hit their whole team for 2200 and a stun for 10 blue. ABSOLUTELY WRECKS EVERYTHING (requires blue covers though)
JUGGERNAUT/OBW-This side team is one I use occassionally and it works well here. OBW heals juggs and he hits faster with red/ green than the opponents.

Also, Spiderman with blue covers cause broooooooooooken

Used Classic Storm/Thor/Punisher. That worked on level 146 Rags/Venom/Ares, but storm died though.

It's wierd that I don't see a lot of Daken's in PVP. Pheromone Rage maxed out is just silly.

I don't have enough iso for him to level his ass up.

Also doesn't seems like we're going to unlock Peru 1000 iso mission.

I've been using Modern Storm, Original Black Widow, and Thor. Once you get going, it's tough to beat. Widow feeds Storm, or Storm feeds Widwo, Storm feeds Thor, who feeds Storm, who feeds Thor, all while Widow keeps the enemy drained of AP.
What are the benefits of using modern storm over classic storm?

Gotchaye

It's wierd that I don't see a lot of Daken's in PVP. Pheromone Rage maxed out is just silly.

Remember that PvE Daken often breaks the level cap. If the character weren't capped at level 69 you'd probably see him more often. As-is he doesn't end up much better off than a typical 3-skill 1* (maybe 33% more tile damage than IM35 and similar HP; 2* Wolverine has 20% more tile damage and HP than Daken and can nearly one-shot him with his red). Passives are nice, but they're only really valuable if they're not coming at the cost of active skills that use colors you wouldn't otherwise need. Daken will rarely be in front and taking damage, so his regen isn't that big of a deal either. He's basically just a passive 2x38 strike tile generator, and there are often better fits.

What are the benefits of using modern storm over classic storm?

Better utility powers. Modern Storm's green almost always shatters more tiles and her red is great for reshuffling and making matches. If you're not relying on Classic Storm for damage, and she's not taking too much damage, Modern is a strong alternative.

BlackJace

Remember that PvE Daken often breaks the level cap. If the character weren't capped at level 69 you'd probably see him more often. As-is he doesn't end up much better off than a typical 3-skill 1* (maybe 33% more tile damage than IM35 and similar HP; 2* Wolverine has 20% more tile damage and HP than Daken and can nearly one-shot him with his red). Passives are nice, but they're only really valuable if they're not coming at the cost of active skills that use colors you wouldn't otherwise need. Daken will rarely be in front and taking damage, so his regen isn't that big of a deal either. He's basically just a passive 2x38 strike tile generator, and there are often better fits.

That's a fair assessment. I always pair him with Classic Storm, and it seems like he always hangs around, even when suffering massive damage. And after a few activations of Pheromone Rage or so, the team just starts outputting some pretty savage damage. One of my favorite characters :p

zulux21

Better utility powers. Modern Storm's green almost always shatters more tiles and her red is great for reshuffling and making matches. If you're not relying on Classic Storm for damage, and she's not taking too much damage, Modern is a strong alternative.
Yup yup, i really wish classic's 5th cover didn't remove the 6 bonus tiles when it switches to 1 ap, then her green would be better than th 1 stars... storms red move is huge though, low cost clear a bunch of tiles off the board for some damga, perhaps some little bonus event stuff, and have a chance for much better matches.

The only really thing I see is Hailstorm, which does get quite nasty with a high level Storm.

really I find hailstorm to be storms worst move lol. Even at max level, and having every tile but 3 hailstormed, it only does around 400 damage, of which with in 3 turns will be cut in half... Don't get me wrong it's not horrible, but given most of this game is spent fighting enemies much higher level than 50 the damage isn't very impressive. Though to be fair, for a black skill it's really solid... as there aren't a ton of good black skills. Her other two skills are awesome regardless the level of enemy you are facing, as the damage with the other two skills is just a plus, and not the main reason to use them. I suppose if you are combining her move with strike tiles it works well though as it's hard to get rid off all of the hailstorm... so there is always that route, but given the nature of her moves I don't like pairing her with strike tiles.

I will say when I first started out I thought hailstorm was amazing... of course that was back when enemies having over 1k life was like OMG SO MUCH LIFE!!!! lol

NomarTyme

Yup yup, i really wish classic's 5th cover didn't remove the 6 bonus tiles when it switches to 1 ap, then her green would be better than th 1 stars... storms red move is huge though, low cost clear a bunch of tiles off the board for some damga, perhaps some little bonus event stuff, and have a chance for much better matches.

really I find hailstorm to be storms worst move lol. Even at max level, and having every tile but 3 hailstormed, it only does around 400 damage, of which with in 3 turns will be cut in half... Don't get me wrong it's not horrible, but given most of this game is spent fighting enemies much higher level than 50 the damage isn't very impressive. Though to be fair, for a black skill it's really solid... as there aren't a ton of good black skills. Her other two skills are awesome regardless the level of enemy you are facing, as the damage with the other two skills is just a plus, and not the main reason to use them. I suppose if you are combining her move with strike tiles it works well though as it's hard to get rid off all of the hailstorm... so there is always that route, but given the nature of her moves I don't like pairing her with strike tiles.

I will say when I first started out I thought hailstorm was amazing... of course that was back when enemies having over 1k life was like OMG SO MUCH LIFE!!!! lol

Actually if you pair a hail storm after something like a berserker rage then the hailstorm AP increases decently.

Dispatch

Yes, for this reason. I find there's safer, more sustained damage from the cascades that result from so many green tiles being on the board. Also, Modern Storm never gets hit because her damage output is so weak.

I've used both Classic and Modern Storm and I find the Modern Storm team to be safe and powerful.

zulux21

Actually if you pair a hail storm after something like a berserker rage then the hailstorm AP increases decently.

I suppose... if you actually let hailstorm ever go off...
unless I am having a really bad match hailstorm will only go off around 3 times... and that is placing it on turn 4 or so.

w2000

What I seem to be finding is that for the minion fights in this one (brotherhood) I was using MN Magneto and Classic storm because the minions generate the purple which allows me to get mags ability faster and then get the blue off of that to get Classic Storms blue going. The Dark avengers fights themselves I would use a second team because it doesn't work.

Top Bottom