• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Dispatch

I filled out a support ticket this morning for the issue with rewards in this event. I placed top 75 in the normal Simulator, but top 50 in the Hard mode. However, instead of getting 3 1-star covers and one 2-star cover, I received 4 1-star covers. This has happened both times to me.

I'll update this when/if I get a response.

jred2k

The idea behind this new Magneto tournament is great. Gives players a new permanent roster member and also allows the developer to create an incentive for people to buy more roster slots. No I really would like some tournaments with characters I already have.

zulux21

The idea behind this new Magneto tournament is great. Gives players a new permanent roster member and also allows the developer to create an incentive for people to buy more roster slots. No I really would like some tournaments with characters I already have.

it's also hard to complain about... you no longer have the free hero you don't have to heal, but at the same time they gave you a free hero for good...

I am sad it was blue mags though... I now have 4 blue on him, and none on his second move and only 1 on his third move ><:

NomarTyme

nah I was doing it on the rooftops.
my team was 2 star widow, 1 star storm and thor
Step 1, I used some boosts to get some AP in my pool a battery going.
step 2, match any 4+ moves i can if none I aim for a red to pair with my boosts to remove the element tiles to have a better chance at more 4+ moves... I want a lot of every color AP so 4+ matches are important... just focusing on 1-2 colors results in the battery dying quick.
step 3, after I collect enough ap I trigger the battery.... on the rooftops it's hard to keep it going forever, thus what my 2 star widow is there for... I use the battery to fuel her purpler and blue moves to steal all of their AP (well minus purple because I only have 3 covers :p) and heal myself to full (usually when I start the battery I have less than 1k hp on each character)... usually when the battery dies it's just a match or two away from going off again thus I just need to take those few hits while at full hp again and start all over.

I think I ended up doing 10 or so matches against the last level 230 team in the match that gave you a lot of points (the one whose reward is the large amount of iso) and I only lost once... and that was because one time when the battery died I accidentally made a 5 match on the board for them to take which cascaded into another 5 match using a crit and ended my storm BOOM >.>;
Ok what is the rooftop? and battery?

zulux21

Ok what is the rooftop? and battery?

rooftop (might actually be called city but the picture reminds me of the rooftops in the marvel legendary card game so I call it that >.>) is the area that has the hot dog stand ability. It's my least favorite stage as the healing is pointless and expensive and the secondary move doesn't really do much for how much it costs. The healing at 55 event really should be something like heal 10% of each characters health not heal 50 hp... and at the cost of 210 the whole board should get destroyed not just the outsides given a number of the others second tiers are much cheaper and much stronger.

battery is the term given to storm with a green producer. At one point Rags fit this just fine now it's thor, but basically thor feeds storm green and in turn storm works as a battery to fuel the entire team with all colors with her green skill.

NomarTyme

rooftop (might actually be called city but the picture reminds me of the rooftops in the marvel legendary card game so I call it that >.>) is the area that has the hot dog stand ability. It's my least favorite stage as the healing is pointless and expensive and the secondary move doesn't really do much for how much it costs. The healing at 55 event really should be something like heal 10% of each characters health not heal 50 hp... and at the cost of 210 the whole board should get destroyed not just the outsides given a number of the others second tiers are much cheaper and much stronger.

battery is the term given to storm with a green producer. At one point Rags fit this just fine now it's thor, but basically thor feeds storm green and in turn storm works as a battery to fuel the entire team with all colors with her green skill.

Thanks for the quick response.

shaowebb

dear god I have so much math physics, trig, ac circuits... you name it I've done it. i've theta-ed my hoopajigger right up its inverse cos A=1/2r^2s because god damn I am so tired and unable to puzzle quest.

Let the math stooooooooooooop I wanna psylocke :C

zulux21

dear god I have so much math physics, trig, ac circuits... you name it I've done it. i've theta-ed my hoopajigger right up its inverse cos A=1/2r^2s because god damn I am so tired and unable to puzzle quest.

I think I will get a psylocke... the real question will end up being if I will get two covers or not.

I so wish that this stupid game had steam cloud support though so I could move over to my wife's computer and dual screen this while I slowly grind out points :/ ( i know it's possible for me to move my save but it's a pain and I am to lazy to deal with it lol)

Time to quit school and go 100% on MPQ. There's a real future in it!

Went back to that dastardly Hulk fight after reading like a three page thread on it lol. Cap, Daken, and IW 40, Boosted Red and Blue stockpiles and just went for IW first, then the HAMMER lady, while stunning Hulk at every opportunity (which was almost always, since I was able to get Cap steady blues the whole fight.

Feels good man.

animus82

Banned
I just got a yellow Patch wolverine. Should I replace my Classic wolverine with it? I also have an X-Force wolverine as well.

It depends.

What is you current patch looking like.

Mine is 3/3/1 And it is hard for him to heal and he is level 62. Still better then my Astonishing Wolvie but he is still a glass cannon because his heals won't proc without a lot of yellow on the board.

zulux21

Went back to that dastardly Hulk fight after reading like a three page thread on it lol. Cap, Daken, and IW 40, Boosted Red and Blue stockpiles and just went for IW first, then the HAMMER lady, while stunning Hulk at every opportunity (which was almost always, since I was able to get Cap steady blues the whole fight.

Feels good man.
the fight isn't to bad with thor and storm either...
sure it takes a while but since the damage is in a ton of small chunks hulk doesn't actually make any anger tiles lol.

BlackJace

It depends.

What is you current patch looking like.

Mine is 3/3/1 And it is hard for him to heal and he is level 62. Still better then my Astonishing Wolvie but he is still a glass cannon because his heals won't proc without a lot of yellow on the board.

It's the first Patch I've gotten. After his nerf, I'm questioning whether or not it's worth keeping Astonishing,

zulux21

It's the first Patch I've gotten. After his nerf, I'm questioning whether or not it's worth keeping Astonishing,

unless you are hard pressed for roster spots personally I would keep him. (though if his sell value is still high it could be tempting to sell him)

when he is boosted he is still ok, and there has already been one event since his nerf where he was one of the only lower star characters that could do decent damage.

animus82

Banned

Keep it dude.

One of the best 3 stars besides like Spider man. Keep the astonishing because you need like 6 covers in Patch before you can level him up to lvl 60.

At lower levels his HP is like 2500.... so he dies real fast.

Gotchaye

It depends on if you have anything significantly better. Also it depends on whether you can still sell 2* Wolverine for a lot of ISO; there's basically never any good reason to sell a moderately high-level character at the regular prices.

I sold my Astonishing right after the nerf and put a bunch of ISO into Patch, getting him up to level ~120. That paid off nicely. Now Patch is at 141 and I use him in almost every match. But if I'd already had a high-level Punisher, say, boosting Patch wouldn't have been as valuable and I might not have sold the 2*.

I don't really subscribe to the "spread the ISO around" philosophy of some here. I think it makes a lot of sense to have one or two characters at very high levels which you can use in almost every PvP event and in the majority of PvE matches. Used to be that I'd do fine in PvP tournaments with a level ~30 buffed character and an 85/85 Wolverine/OBW pair with him. Now I've got a level 141 Patch, a 96 Hood, an 85 OBW, and then a bunch of sometimes-useful characters at levels 50-64. I think I do a lot better than if everyone was level ~80.

But the important thing is to have a plan. If you sell your 2* Wolverine, what are you going to do for matches where you would have otherwise used your 2* Wolverine? Even if he's buffed? What about when he's a required character in PvE missions? If you can do better in all of those by selling the 2* Wolverine and using the ISO on other characters, that's great. But if not then you have to decide if doing worse in those matches is worth the gains in matches where you wouldn't have been using him anyway.

NomarTyme

I wish I sold Wolverine** when it a lot of isos because my Patch wasn't complete. Now that he is complete he is fucking awesome and I need iso. Now I just need a black cover for Punisher and I'll finish him off too.

shaowebb

Ya know what sucks about not paying attention to this game? Realizing too late that if you dump the most levels into Storm it will change almost all the tiles to her symbol on the board since SHE is the strongest at all of them.

No matter where you place her in team order you will ALWAYS pop her tiles and put her in front of the next attack. Time to power level Daken back above her so I can keep her out of harms way. If that doesn't work I'm goin in on Hulk for perma meat shield.

Gotchaye

Ya know what sucks about not paying attention to this game? Realizing too late that if you dump the most levels into Storm it will change almost all the tiles to her symbol on the board since SHE is the strongest at all of them.

No matter where you place her in team order you will ALWAYS pop her tiles and put her in front of the next attack. Time to power level Daken back above her so I can keep her out of harms way. If that doesn't work I'm goin in on Hulk for perma meat shield.

Yes, the game could use some way to set tile priority for characters, or at least an option to play characters at lower than their actual level. OBW's black is sufficiently strong that I've been keeping Hood at level 96 so that she takes blue and black matches when they're on the same team. If Hood were a few levels higher they wouldn't work together nearly as well.

BlackJace

unless you are hard pressed for roster spots personally I would keep him. (though if his sell value is still high it could be tempting to sell him)

when he is boosted he is still ok, and there has already been one event since his nerf where he was one of the only lower star characters that could do decent damage.

Keep it dude.

One of the best 3 stars besides like Spider man. Keep the astonishing because you need like 6 covers in Patch before you can level him up to lvl 60.

At lower levels his HP is like 2500.... so he dies real fast.

It depends on if you have anything significantly better. Also it depends on whether you can still sell 2* Wolverine for a lot of ISO; there's basically never any good reason to sell a moderately high-level character at the regular prices.

I sold my Astonishing right after the nerf and put a bunch of ISO into Patch, getting him up to level ~120. That paid off nicely. Now Patch is at 141 and I use him in almost every match. But if I'd already had a high-level Punisher, say, boosting Patch wouldn't have been as valuable and I might not have sold the 2*.

I don't really subscribe to the "spread the ISO around" philosophy of some here. I think it makes a lot of sense to have one or two characters at very high levels which you can use in almost every PvP event and in the majority of PvE matches. Used to be that I'd do fine in PvP tournaments with a level ~30 buffed character and an 85/85 Wolverine/OBW pair with him. Now I've got a level 141 Patch, a 96 Hood, an 85 OBW, and then a bunch of sometimes-useful characters at levels 50-64. I think I do a lot better than if everyone was level ~80.

But the important thing is to have a plan. If you sell your 2* Wolverine, what are you going to do for matches where you would have otherwise used your 2* Wolverine? Even if he's buffed? What about when he's a required character in PvE missions? If you can do better in all of those by selling the 2* Wolverine and using the ISO on other characters, that's great. But if not then you have to decide if doing worse in those matches is worth the gains in matches where you wouldn't have been using him anyway.

Thanks for the advice guys. I just bought another roster slot, so Astonishing stays, I suppose. He was one of my higher leveled characters anyway.

zulux21

Thanks for the advice guys. I just bought another roster slot, so Astonishing stays, I suppose. He was one of my higher leveled characters anyway.

personally aside from a select few characters I wouldn't sell any if I could avoid it...
bag man will never be in my roster
NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but most of the others might get boosted at some point, or perhaps after they get done nerfing all of the good characters they might be decent compared to them... the game is changing to much still for me to feel good getting rid of any two star or higher that isn't bag man (I don't really have any 1 stars aside from venom, black widow, and storm though)

personally aside from a select few characters I wouldn't sell any if I could avoid it...
bag man will never be in my roster
NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about Yelena Belova? I don't think I've seen a single person use her. And she's almost never a threat when I fight her.

I'd also throw Moonstone in there too.

Gotchaye

Moonstone was useful in the Dark Avengers and No Man's Land tournaments. She has good HP and had the only red among the DAs (edit: excepting Ragnarok, but lots of people don't have him or didn't have him at the time), and female characters were limited to Invisible Woman, various Widows, various Storms, Moonstone, and Yelena. She'll be less necessary for those after Ares and Psylocke, though. My Venom and Yelena are still level 1, though they were useful for tanking in the Thick as Thieves PvE.

zulux21

How about Yelena Belova? I don't think I've seen a single person use her. And she's almost never a threat when I fight her.

I'd also throw Moonstone in there too.

i don't have most of the 1 stars still.. yelena would be part of that
as for moonstone.. she is good for the girls only events, her moves suck in general but at least she can take some damage.

on a different note, after two straight pve events where I couldn't even get past 500 points this event isn't going to badly.
unless something drastically changes in the next 12 hours I should get 2 covers which is nice... plus seeing 93k points at this time is fun... I will likely go for 100k and call it good lol.

can't complain about the iso either... got 10 levels on my 2 star widow, 49 levels on my 1 star storm, and a few other levels here and there and still have more iso then i started with :p

I use Moonstone pretty frequently. Her black can be pretty awesome against the right teams (PvE, Modern Hawkeye, Marvel Now Magneto), and even without countdowns to steal it's an "off color" stun (i.e, not blue) which can be pretty nice.

In the right situations her red can do a shit ton of damage, but yeah, you probably have a better red power to use.

The pink kinda sucks, since you don't get to choose which special tile warps, and if the board is crowded with them it's almost assuredly useless.

She was buffed for the simulator so I used her a bunch with Classic Storm and Daken and it was nice

zulux21

I use Moonstone pretty frequently. Her black can be pretty awesome against the right teams (PvE, Modern Hawkeye, Marvel Now Magneto), and even without countdowns to steal it's an "off color" stun (i.e, not blue) which can be pretty nice.

In the right situations her red can do a shit ton of damage, but yeah, you probably have a better red power to use.

The pink kinda sucks, since you don't get to choose which special tile warps, and if the board is crowded with them it's almost assuredly useless.

She was buffed for the simulator so I used her a bunch with Classic Storm and Daken and it was nice

she really needs a bit of a boost... at least let her choose which special tile she moves... I hated putting more covers into her move because it became more and more useless as it added more and more colors :/

feels good
74phO.jpg
now to go to bed, wake up in 6 hours or so and be sad that I fell to like 50th :p

Askani

I think I found a bug. I was doing the event fight against Hulk, Invisible Woman, and the bomb tech. I had stunned Hulk with Hawkeye's blue ability and I had his red tile out for next round. Invisible woman cast invisibility and it was shown active on her. My red fired and I launched another stun tile. When it was my turn again I wanted to switch off Hulk to stun the bomb tech. Tried to switch my attack to the bomb tech, but it wouldn't let me. There wasn't a second Invis tile on the board so there's no reason I shouldn't have been able to switch the order, right?

I had done enough damage to win the fight, but I would have been pissed if that cost me the W on a hard battle.

I think I found a bug. I was doing the event fight against Hulk, Invisible Woman, and the bomb tech. I had stunned Hulk with Hawkeye's blue ability and I had his red tile out for next round. Invisible woman cast invisibility and it was shown active on her. My red fired and I launched another stun tile. When it was my turn again I wanted to switch off Hulk to stun the bomb tech. Tried to switch my attack to the bomb tech, but it wouldn't let me. There wasn't a second Invis tile on the board so there's no reason I shouldn't have been able to switch the order, right?

I had done enough damage to win the fight, but I would have been pissed if that cost me the W on a hard battle.

Same happened to me. When IW is invisible, you can't switch enemies. Not even between the "visible" ones.

zulux21

OMGGGGG

At…some point today? (Not at noon I guess) EPISODE 4 WITH A CHANCE TO WIN BLACK PANTHER!!!

Also, I landed at around 61. HI BETSY BRADDOCK.

I have no cares about black panther so my interest in him will be completely off his skills...

as for the event that just ended I wonder if I ended up in 2nd or third in the hard simulator... overall I think I ended up around 20th in my bracket... can't complain there.

hopefully the next event won't continue to be dumb with level scaling... but at least I have a way to deal with level 230s even if it does take 10 min per match.

Gotchaye

Also a new 1* tournament tonight. Psylocke rewards, probably?

Also Ep 4's description means that Magneto is buffed in the event?

zulux21

Also a new 1* tournament tonight. Psylocke rewards, probably?

1*.... 1*... oh hey I do still have 1 star on my roster....
they won't get me very far though lol.
I am curious to see how psylocke's moves go up... I have to imagine her blue move does more than just steals more and more of a single color.

Fuck, delayed rewards for the Psylocke tourney for me.

i've gotten my tokens from the simulator (hopefully one of my 3 heroic or 2 recruit tokens is something worth while lol inb4 all 5 are red captian ><;)... just not from the event overall, it's not like they started a new event that requires her already though so it's not a big deal if she takes a bit.

hmmm a lot better than I was expecting
recruit = throw away iron man, purple 2 star mags (missing that move completely)
heroric = red 2 star mags, red patch, and purple hawkeye... all of which i needed... sorta... I need the respec patch to hit already so I can fix my patch when I actually get some yellow covers... he is currently 5/5/2 lol.

Askani

Double checking: What was the Simulator cut off for Psylock? I thought it was 75. I was "a top 75 finisher" but I got three recruit tokens?

EDIT:::::

Eek, I just realized it was for the sub events. I don't know how I finished in the overall event. I was set to play again but I got busy at work and forgot what time it ended. I was at least 73 I think at the time. I hope I got something.

zulux21

hmmm I was kind of expecting my psylocke by now... oh well if she doesn't show up by the time the next event starts I will contact support.

Double checking: What was the Simulator cut off for Psylock? I thought it was 75. I was "a top 75 finisher" but I got three recruit tokens?

EDIT:::::

Eek, I just realized it was for the sub events. I don't know how I finished in the overall event. I was set to play again but I got busy at work and forgot what time it ended. I was at least 73 I think at the time. I hope I got something.

I got that too but I was well above 75 in my two most recent sub events. I think that might have been from like a whole sub event ago.

zulux21

did they ever explain why pretty much every character does high damage in 3 colors that match their skills aside from 3 star mags that does yellow instead of purple?

zulux21

so yeah screw psylockes blue move... no need to go high on that one lol

Psylocke black at 5/5
Cost:6
Deals 153 Damage and leaves the enemy bleeding. Converting a basic black tile to a strike tile that deals 36 dmg to the current target each turn.
Damage values at level 15

Blue at 5/5
Cost: 8
Converts a blue tile into a two turn countdown tile that Steals 19 ap from opponents largest ap pool
the black move just gets more powerful with each cover, the blue move reduces it's countdown timer by 1 at the 5th cover.
i haven't seen any info about the red move yet.

Top Bottom