• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

zulux21

Doesn't even sound worth it anyway, to be honest.

a bit more info
Any plans to let us share rewards with Alliance members instead of/in addition to Facebook friends?

Nothing planned for near term, no. That's one of my personal crusades as well. Not everyone has or wants to use Facebook after all.

it also sounds like the reason the nerfs to characters is taking so long is because IceIX is pushing hard for buffing characters to make up a lot of the difference in characters instead.

also mentioned was that they plan to make it so members can donate hp to the alliance, perhaps to reach some very expensive (but likely good) goals later.

My bad luck streak continues. I haven't got a good drop in ages outside of the rare daily drop. So I have a lot of three star characters that are pretty useless right now. And their whole philosophy of needing new characters to compete in events is getting more broken with every event. I didn't have Daredevil so I couldn't get enough points to grab a Psylocke. Now I don't have Psylocke so I can't get enough points to place high and get a Black Panther, and so on.

This whole "The rich get richer" thing is really bumming me out.

animus82

Banned
My bad luck streak continues. I haven't got a good drop in ages outside of the rare daily drop. So I have a lot of three star characters that are pretty useless right now. And their whole philosophy of needing new characters to compete in events is getting more broken with every event. I didn't have Daredevil so I couldn't get enough points to grab a Psylocke. Now I don't have Psylocke so I can't get enough points to place high and get a Black Panther, and so on.

This whole "The rich get richer" thing is really bumming me out.

I feel you bro, I was almost in the same boat as you.

I managed to get top 5 in the villans tourney that got me some dare devils. Then I finally got a hulk. Those two allowed me to get Psylocke and now I'll be getting 2-3 black panthers.

Instead of trying too hard in the PVE stuff, focus on a tournament where you can get a top 45 and get that ONE 3 star cover of whatever that allows you to compete better in the next PVE. For example you can win Psyclocke in your Magneto tournament. Focus on getting top 45.

Adamwoz

Neo Member
I think what they need to do to fix the rich getting richer problem is have the top prizes be single covers, albeit the rarest color. It's a problem now because the people at the top are getting multiple covers of new characters and are weeks if not months ahead of everybody.

How they are able to level characters without dropping cash, I have no idea.

Gotchaye

Instead of trying too hard in the PVE stuff, focus on a tournament where you can get a top 45 and get that ONE 3 star cover of whatever that allows you to compete better in the next PVE. For example you can win Psyclocke in your Magneto tournament. Focus on getting top 45.

I think this is the right approach. Top 45 placements in PvP tournaments are perfectly achievable with a 2* team. PvEs have historically given a huge advantage to players with better rosters, although players with weak rosters have done extremely well in recent PvEs.

I think what they need to do to fix the rich getting richer problem is have the top prizes be single covers, albeit the rarest color. It's a problem now because the people at the top are getting multiple covers of new characters and are weeks if not months ahead of everybody.

How they are able to level characters without dropping cash, I have no idea.

It doesn't make that much sense to talk about a "rarest color". Maybe a system where prize winners could select some number of prizes from a larger set would work, but that probably presents implementation issues. It used to be the case that the #1 position in tournaments would only give the 4* cover and not 3 3* covers too, but this led to really silly incentives where lots of players would aim to place 2nd through 5th but not 1st.

I think the developers' thinking is that newer players should be aiming for 2* covers in PvP tournaments and likewise competing for the lesser rewards in PvE events without completing the high point value missions. Newer players get a lot more out of Recruit and Heroic Tokens, obviously. The idea is to keep everyone progressing at a satisfying rate.

Mostly characters don't get leveled. I'll typically level a new 3* to level 50 (this costs much less ISO than taking a 1* to 50) and no higher.

shaowebb

Someone here recommended Classic Storm and Marvel Now Mags as a duo and DAYUM they are sweet as hell, especially in this current PVE.

That'd be me again. I'm currently in first but farmed out using that team. Told ya it was boss. Just make certain C. Storm isn't higher level than mags or she'll start getting in front of enemy attacks too often. I like using a high level Daken with her as well to keep her out of harms way. That way generally blue green, pink and red all go to other characters.

zulux21

so is it a tactic to wait for people to shield before retaliating now?
I was doing the psylocke event for like an hour just attacking people climbing to 9th and didn't get attacked once... I put up a shield and then 10 seconds later got attacked... and in the next 3 minutes got attacked like 10 times...

I suppose I might have just gotten really lucky lol.

ah my mags looks much better as 2/3/0 instead of 1/2/0 I can actually level him to a meaningful level now lol.

zulux21

man these hero lightning rounds are so much nicer to me than the villain ones... two top 8 finishes now... and at least I have gotten two covers I was missing now. So in the last 24 hours I have added 5 new 3 star covers to my roster... not a bad day at all.

shaowebb

I had to, I already maxed out. Seems like we have opposite problem... I NEED PURPLE COVERS!

Same. I maxed out Blue and while it sounds nice to pop the whole board you have to manage it for 4 turns. Its very easy to lose it and honestly if I got a max blue Classic Storm why use Magneto's blue? My team should got red purple and fish for him to battery heavily and abuse his red attack for quick damage and kills. His max blue is only good vs AI timer teams and unless its an empiricist team you generally can avoid dying in those.

I think my next project characters will be doom and loki if I can get covers. MN Mags and C Storm have proven amazing and my Thor M. Storm are damned fine backups. My fill in cast generally is Daken or Captain America since they are just self sufficient folks. I wanna see if I can pull something with Doom...likely gonna be a MN Mags and Doom setup.

animus82

Banned
I swear to god, people are respeccing into Call the Storm.

Oohh yeah. I'm 4/4/5 before the nerf and it's gotten crazy strong.

If you throw down strike tiles with like patch's green or red and then use Call the storm you will blow away an entire team.

Sheeiit, I've killed myself because I'll use patches green and the enemey lvl 85 Thor will just call the storm and annihilate me.

zulux21

i hate when you face a team you should easily beat... and then they cascade the entire board away nearly twice over to have 30 on every mana when they had no more than 3 on any @_@

sucked so hard watching that ><;

ok... done with this game today for a while...
just watched the enemy make 4 separate 5 matches in a single turn to wipe me out quickly.... the game obviously has it out to get me today lol.

13 minutes left in the lightning round, and I'm #31. My team is low on health, and I'm out of packs. I wish someone would attack me and lose... 25+ is courageous tokens, below is heroic.

EDIT: Swell, with one minute left, I got attacked twice and knocked down to 72 instead.. One heroic token: a Thor cover I don't need.

animus82

Banned
i hate when you face a team you should easily beat... and then they cascade the entire board away nearly twice over to have 30 on every mana when they had no more than 3 on any @_@

sucked so hard watching that ><;

ok... done with this game today for a while...
just watched the enemy make 4 separate 5 matches in a single turn to wipe me out quickly.... the game obviously has it out to get me today lol.

This same shit happened to me last night.

I was PVPin the Psylocke PVP tourney after work. I lost two in a row to the same team.

I swear, the AI in this game sometimes decides. "You have won waaay too much" and will make sure things cascade in it's favor. An 85 thor called the storm twice in my face back to back.

Askani

I fought a team with Bullseye who had 6 protect tiles by round four. The game has made me rage more than once. If I was independently wealthy I would be on my 7th iPhone by now. The "luck" factor for the AI is just too high. Yet we're supposed to take comfort that they have some 5 matches the AI won't make. That doesn't begin to make it even. I know from a game design standpoint (and a money making standpoint) the AI needs some help, but the dial is turned up to 11 for them.

zulux21

I fought a team with Bullseye who had 6 protect tiles by round four. The game has made me rage more than once. If I was independently wealthy I would be on my 7th iPhone by now. The "luck" factor for the AI is just too high. Yet we're supposed to take comfort that they have some 5 matches the AI won't make. That doesn't begin to make it even. I know from a game design standpoint (and a money making standpoint) the AI needs some help, but the dial is turned up to 11 for them.

it's typically not to bad.... the randomization on rewards needs to be altered though....
*sells copies 200 and 201 of red captain america* :/

That's why I love my boy Loki so much. I'll actually keep them alive and intentionally hit the colors, and boom. Ive pretty much won the match.

Askani

I don't know. It just seems to be happening more and more. I just fought a Doctor Doom who pulled a cascade and got 14 Black in one turn, plus all the other colors that dropped with it. 14. At a minimum that's 2 times 5 matches on Black plus another 4 match on one turn. And oh yeah, Black happens to be one of the colors he needs to launch a special attack. Plus all the damage from the matches.

Again...I get it...it's AI and they need help to keep them from getting slaughtered every round. But fuck me it seems especially bad more often than not. Spend that ISO to get boosts to match the arbitrarily high matches and cascades of the AI. The circle of life.

I don't know. It just seems to be happening more and more. I just fought a Doctor Doom who pulled a cascade and got 14 Black in one turn, plus all the other colors that dropped with it. 14. At a minimum that's 2 times 5 matches on Black plus another 4 match on one turn. And oh yeah, Black happens to be one of the colors he needs to launch a special attack. Plus all the damage from the matches.

Again...I get it...it's AI and they need help to keep them from getting slaughtered every round. But fuck me it seems especially bad more often than not. Spend that ISO to get boosts to match the arbitrarily high matches and cascades of the AI. The circle of life.

What levels are they? I don't find it happening that often with 60-70 range enemies.

Askani

What levels are they? I don't find it happening that often with 60-70 range enemies.

Currently in that mission he's 105. And before anyone says that the Doombots generate Black tiles as one of their Blue countdown powers, I know that. This was before any of those were on the battlefield, let alone triggered. :p

Gotchaye

I tend to doubt that the AI gets an unfair advantage on new tiles falling on to the board when they haven't even bothered giving the AI the ability to recognize 5-matches instead of 4-matches.

Askani

I tend to doubt that the AI gets an unfair advantage on new tiles falling on to the board when they haven't even bothered giving the AI the ability to recognize 5-matches instead of 4-matches.

I still say it's to counter the fact that they don't match 5s. More and more I don't think it's a programming oversight as much as it's programmed intentionally because it would be too much. They could choose lucky drops or perfect matches. Both at the same time would be absolutely too much and make it unplayable.

Also, lucky drops give them more control over how well the AI performs versus just making matches on the same board the player has.

Gotchaye

I still say it's to counter the fact that they don't match 5s. More and more I don't think it's a programming oversight as much as it's programmed intentionally because it would be too much. They could choose lucky drops or perfect matches. Both at the same time would be absolutely too much and make it unplayable.

Right, it's intended behavior that the AI ignore certain sorts of 5-matches. But why on earth would they give the AI an unfair advantage instead of letting it take advantage of something much more obviously fair. Nothing feels worse than the AI getting a cascade, and human psychology is such that even if the AI isn't getting an unfair advantage a lot of people are going to feel like the AI is cheating when it gets a cascade.

animus82

Banned

Welcome to puzzle quest!

Those Doom fights are sketchy. Same thing happened to me and I almost lost. You are forced into spending tons of ISO on boosts or you die. They keep raising the price on the boosts to keep the ISO amounts low.

Askani

Right, it's intended behavior that the AI ignore certain sorts of 5-matches. But why on earth would they give the AI an unfair advantage instead of letting it take advantage of something much more obviously fair. Nothing feels worse than the AI getting a cascade, and human psychology is such that even if the AI isn't getting an unfair advantage a lot of people are going to feel like the AI is cheating when it gets a cascade.

lol...that's where I am right now. I feel like the AI is "cheating".

If I was a less lazy man, I would like to spreadsheet some matches and see what the Gem production is for me versus what it is for the AI over the course of several games. I don't know how you account for game choices though like if you took a 3 match that was for your color to launch an attack instead of a match that would drop into another match. However, seeing some hard data would be nice.

It's just a form of observational bias. You remember the unfair cascades in the AIs favor a lot more than you remember the unfair cascades in your favor. Combine that with the fact that they are randomly distributed so the AI will get runs of a few unfair cascades, and it's really easy to feel like they are cheating when they aren't. They can't complain when you wipe them out before they even get a turn due to a lucky starting board and a couple lucky cascades, but that's happened for me more than a few times so I'm sure it's happened (or will) for you too

animus82

Banned
It's just a form of observational bias. You remember the unfair cascades in the AIs favor a lot more than you remember the unfair cascades in your favor. Combine that with the fact that they are randomly distributed so the AI will get runs of a few unfair cascades, and it's really easy to feel like they are cheating when they aren't. They can't complain when you wipe them out before they even get a turn due to a lucky starting board and a couple lucky cascades, but that's happened for me more than a few times so I'm sure it's happened (or will) for you too

If online gaming has taught me anything. I supremely beat you, skillz, you beat me, haxs.

If online gaming has taught me anything. I supremely beat you, skillz, you beat me, haxs.

Replacing "hacks" with "luck" gives you legit game design theory that has informed many a game design. I think Richard Garfield called it the ego crutch. There was a really solid article in game developer that he wrote in which he was praising the virtues of luck elements in skill based games.

zulux21

time to see what I won... I am putting money on one of them being a red captain america :/

edit:
surprisingly no captains, just a useless classic storm and a red cover for the 2 star mags that I am not sure if I want... but will add for now anyways.

NomarTyme

Over 15-20 tokens and no fucking Psylocke

Fuck this shit!

At least I got two cover from the Magneto tourney.

time to see what I won... I am putting money on one of them being a red captain america :/

edit:
surprisingly no captains, just a useless classic storm and a red cover for the 2 star mags that I am not sure if I want... but will add for now anyways.

3 Classic Storm and one Shitty MN Magneto.

zulux21

i'm rather torn on the new changes
Gameplay
- Sell prices for Comics have been changed. Old -> New
- Common (1*): Same, 100 Iso-8/0 Hero Points
- Uncommon (2*): 125/0 -> 250/0
- Rare (3*): 150/25 -> 500/0
- Legendary (4*): 200/50 -> 1000/0
- Added chance to gain 25 Hero Points from any Standard Comic Pack draw. This is currently set to about the same chance as pulling a 3* character.

on one hand my 2 star covers will be worth a bit more...
on the other hand I don't find 350 iso to be worth 25HP, and I especially don't like the idea that instead of getting a cover I might just get 25hp instead (which previously at the very least would have been 150 iso plus 25hp if it was a 3 star i already had)

I suppose for people with max sized rosters and most of their covers though the extra iso will be nice in general.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
i'm rather torn on the new changes

on one hand my 2 star covers will be worth a bit more...
on the other hand I don't find 350 iso to be worth 25HP, and I especially don't like the idea that instead of getting a cover I might just get 25hp instead (which previously at the very least would have been 150 iso plus 25hp if it was a 3 star i already had)

I suppose for people with max sized rosters and most of their covers though the extra iso will be nice in general.
Fuck, I should have sold some of these characters earlier. This is a pretty shitty change.

NineH

Fuck, I should have sold some of these characters earlier. This is a pretty shitty change.

The bright side is that all those worthless captain america covers I keep on getting is now worth double at least. The -25hp sucks no doubt on 3* covers though.

Gotchaye

They claim that the chance of getting 25 HP from standard tokens is basically unchanged relative to selling every 3* you get, and by far the most significant change here is the doubling in sale price of 2* covers. I think almost everyone ends up better off, with significantly more ISO and almost as much HP as before from tokens. There will be slightly fewer 2* and 3* covers from tokens, though.

It looks like their main goal was to discourage people from trying to place highly in tournaments to receive covers that they don't actually need but which could be sold for HP. I'm not sure if this will do that - 1500 ISO is also pretty tempting, although one could instead aim for top 90 or whatever for 750 ISO.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The bright side is that all those worthless captain america covers I keep on getting is now worth double at least. The -25hp sucks no doubt on 3* covers though.
Haha, no kidding. I just sold like 5 of them.

Sitting on 22k ISO right now just waiting for this event to be over.

zulux21

great... the game found a new way to screw me over...
took a five match... and I didn't get an extra turn, instead the enemy got to use my new crit square to do a high damage match and end me -_-

NomarTyme

I got hero points from a recruit token.
And it has been mixing up recruit/hero tokens randomly. Things are weird right now.
Yeah I've been hearing about this, but it hasn't happen to me so far.
great... the game found a new way to screw me over...
took a five match... and I didn't get an extra turn, instead the enemy got to use my new crit square to do a high damage match and end me -_-
Tough break. Hopefully this isn't a common bug for this game.

Also I think I have a really good chance at the 8K iso. Need about 14k - 15k points.

NomarTyme

lmao pulled a shit Storm and Captain from the special token but got Ragnarok and GBW from two regular token.

Happened a lot so far. The other day I got five recruit tokens that all counted as Heroic. Then I grinded a PvP match, and the Heroic counted as a recruit. Can't win them all I guess.
All you can do is send a ticket and hopefully they can resolve your problem.

Top Bottom