• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

BlackJace

I really burned myself out with the Psylocke PVE event, I've barely touched the Iso 8 Brotherhood event at all..

Though, I have been rippin through the Fresh Cut events.

shaowebb

Burning out seems to be what I may do unless they shorten the length of these events. A full week? Really? Seriously have some dead days for us to recover.

Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have so much friggin' college this semester. I pretty much wakeup, put in the quick setup of matches to load the day. Go to work, college after, do homework, throw a few more matches on to recover the losses and sleep. Its a really dull routine for me. I need more hours free to myself so I can get back in some Zbrush time to relax.

Hopefully the next event is just a "catchup" event where folks can try to get some of these new folks like Daredevil, Hulk, Punsiher, Psylocke, and Black Panther to let me rest.

So help me if they choose now to add Iron Fist ...

Hopefully the next event is just a "catchup" event where folks can try to get some of these new folks like Daredevil, Hulk, Punsiher, Psylocke, and Black Panther to let me rest.

Same for me. This last event has been too long, and I don't really need more 3-stars characters, right now (they added 3 in the last few weeks). I only need an old PVE event (Hulk or Ares one) that give me some ISO and maybe a few cards, without having to care about being in the top of the leaderboards or playing dozens of matches each day.

They should spend more time in balancing the existant characters, instead of adding new ones each week. I know that they want to add more to force the "hardcore" userbase to be more active and to spend money, but they are pushing too much, and a lot of "old" players can get burned and new players get frustrated.

You do realize these events are bracketed and that you are free to join them whenever, right?

In his defense the events have gotten longer though. Events used to be 4-5 days, and this past one was 10 and the one before that was 8, on top of the fact that they ran one right into the other, for anyone who wants to play and be somewhat competitive or get new heroes, you have to play quite a bit and doing so for over half a month is a bit painful. There are also some heroes where you just won't get their covers for a while, and it would be nice if they went back and reused/updated some old events for the chance to get those covers again.

Triz

Grinding like a mother fucker all week. Just hit 90k ISO in the tourney sitting at 30 with 1 hour to go. Should hold for two black panther covers. If I had psylock I'd be in better shape since I couldn't do those in the tourney.

In his defense the events have gotten longer though. Events used to be 4-5 days, and this past one was 10 and the one before that was 8, on top of the fact that they ran one right into the other, for anyone who wants to play and be somewhat competitive or get new heroes, you have to play quite a bit and doing so for over half a month is a bit painful. There are also some heroes where you just won't get their covers for a while, and it would be nice if they went back and reused/updated some old events for the chance to get those covers again.
I think you misunderstand. You are free to join a bracket whenever you wish. This latest event was a 6 day event for me. It's only a 10 day event if you make it be.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ugh, they have to make Iron Man Mk40 a reward through the days I'm super busy.

Also a general fuck you to whoever put me in 6th at the literal last minute.

zulux21

Nice haul at the end there

2 BPs
Blue IM40
Purp GBW

Rill nice.

I got 5 standard tokens (4 throw aways and a 25hp) and then some iso... 2 wolverine covers... and 100hp aka not much... my motivation to care dropped greatly after I got to 70k and got my green punisher. I ended up with like 86k and in 200th or so lol.

I think you misunderstand. You are free to join a bracket whenever you wish. This latest event was a 6 day event for me. It's only a 10 day event if you make it be.

Yes but the individual brackets don't offer the kinds of rewards people want, the overarching event is where the valuable rewards remain. In theory you could play for only 6 days just check your phone more frequently, or spend money for medkits, but it's going to end up being the same amount of work/time committed.

shaowebb

Nice haul at the end there

2 BPs
Blue IM40
Purp GBW

Rill nice.

Same. Really digging Black Panther's art and I know I'll get mileage out of him once he gets some levels.

Fun fact! I already found a hacker who has him at level 77. How do I know they hacked and didn't just get insanely lucky on covers so that they could get 12 covers total? Because they also had a lvl 70 modern Storm...a character who caps at 50.

Asshole.

Yes but the individual brackets don't offer the kinds of rewards people want, the overarching event is where the valuable rewards remain. In theory you could play for only 6 days just check your phone more frequently, or spend money for medkits, but it's going to end up being the same amount of work/time committed.

This.

You still misunderstand. The "overarching event" is also bracketed.

I get that there's this fear that if you join an event 4 days late, you're missing out on 4 days of missions and rewards. But here's where that fear is somewhat illogical, as your post tells, the valuable reward remains in the main event.

You still misunderstand. The "overarching event" is also bracketed.

I get that there's this fear that if you join an event 4 days late, you're missing out on 4 days of missions and rewards. But here's where that fear is somewhat illogical, as your post tells, the valuable reward remains in the main event.

Disagree. I got my 8000 ISO (and 125k) (and multiple Franks) thusly:

At the start of each sub, I joined the hard one within a half hour and immediately did one (1) of each mission. I later did the easy, all missions once, at my leisure, no rush. Over the course of each 24 hours, maybe every four or five hours, I would do one (1) "Bonus" mission (the ones requiring Psylocke or someone else, but you know the one I mean), always the most valuable. One (1) in Hard and one (1) in Easy.

On the last day I definitely grinded out in the last few hours, but overall, I stuck with this method for all ten days and got a phenomenal finish: 17th, for two BP covers. And for the record, I was in 22nd by the fifth day and never really dropped too far out of that placement.

And I joined the overall bracket maybe an hour after it started.

The progression awards are beyond worth it and keeping up, as long as you have all of the covers (and why wouldn't you?), as you can see, requires no real grinding at all. I could have sat the last few hours out and still gotten at least one BP.

125k and top 25 finish? Sounds reasonably well. The point of my post was not arguing you can't do well by playing the 10 days, but rather if you feel that 10 day event is too long for you that you can also have success by joining late and doing a 6 or 7 day event, if you wish. Not that a 6 day event is strictly better.

For reference, again "my" event was 6 days. Roughly the same strategy of playing only once in each sub (no resets). 110k progression and top 10 placement. 10th place in my bracket iirc was under 100k. I only pushed to 110k at the end for the Punisher.

You miss out on iso and tokens, but you can more easily guarantee the BPx3. It all comes down to which you prefer. And it seemed the earlier poster cared more about BP, so that's why I posted hinting in that direction. But if you care more for iso/tokens/etc, then yes, 10 day makes more sense for you.

125k and top 25 finish? Sounds reasonably well. The point of my post was not arguing you can't do well by playing the 10 days, but rather if you feel that 10 day event is too long for you that you can also have success by joining late and doing a 6 or 7 day event.

For reference, again "my" event was 6 days. Roughly the same strategy of playing only once in each sub (no resets). 110k progression and top 10 placement. 10th place in my bracket iirc was under 100k. I only pushed to 110k at the end for the Punisher.

You miss out on iso and tokens, but you can more easily guarantee the BPx3. It all comes down to which you prefer. And it seemed the earlier poster cared more about BP, so that's why I posted hinting in that direction. But if you care more for iso/tokens/etc, then yes, 10 day makes more sense for you.

That's true, though. 3 BPs woulda certainly been nice.

But yeah, I think cada uno a su gusto. I just couldn't go without playing the game for a day, but that's certainly just me.

;D

I again did just about the same strategy as Ben and finished at the reward just below the 125K one (last color I needed for my Punisher), had multiple top 5 finishes over the course of the event (and top 50 at least every single one).

My haul overall was something like:

2 Psylockes
2 Daredevils
3 Punishers
2 Black Panthers
1 Loki (ok this was just a normal token but it still made me happy)
Enough HP to unlock 2 more slots (so I didn't have to sell anyone for the Psylocke or Black Panther)

Gotchaye

Of course, if what you care about is ISO, then you want these long events. Cutting them short just means fewer opportunities for rewards, since all in all even the 8k progression reward isn't that big of a deal compared to a few days' worth of placement rewards, first-time completion bonuses, and mission prizes.

I've been playing too much lately, but on the other hand I've picked up 2 red and 1 yellow 4* Wolverine in the last Psylocke and Magneto tournaments and the PvE that just ended.

Panther is a screwy character. His yellow and his blue are just bad; the only thing his yellow has going for it is that it's an active yellow rather than some other color. But his black is game-winning. More damage than GSBW's sniper rifle on a less-crowded color for less AP. I feel like the developers are very bad at balancing abilities that are supposed to have significant drawbacks. Patch + anybody with a stun or a cheap damage-dealing skill is just obviously the best way to kill things, and Panther looks to be able to kill teams before they can make use of the AP he's giving them and is a huge deterrent on defense even if you can make use of all 5 (!) AP to wipe his team.

komarkaze

Ugh, they have to make Iron Man Mk40 a reward through the days I'm super busy.

Also a general fuck you to whoever put me in 6th at the literal last minute.

Sorry I think that was my fault. I was in danger of dropping out of the top 10 so I played one more match. By the end of it, I didn't expect to place #4 at 11:59 pm. Those Oscars really made me look for a distraction.

Thanks to this whole event, I now have a formidable Classic Storm, MN Magneto, and I won covers for Black Panther, Psylocke, Rangnarok, Punisher and Daredevil. Now I can start transitioning from two star to three star characters.

zulux21

Of course, if what you care about is ISO, then you want these long events. Cutting them short just means fewer opportunities for rewards, since all in all even the 8k progression reward isn't that big of a deal compared to a few days' worth of placement rewards, first-time completion bonuses, and mission prizes.

I've been playing too much lately, but on the other hand I've picked up 2 red and 1 yellow 4* Wolverine in the last Psylocke and Magneto tournaments and the PvE that just ended.

Panther is a screwy character. His yellow and his blue are just bad; the only thing his yellow has going for it is that it's an active yellow rather than some other color. But his black is game-winning. More damage than GSBW's sniper rifle on a less-crowded color for less AP. I feel like the developers are very bad at balancing abilities that are supposed to have significant drawbacks. Patch + anybody with a stun or a cheap damage-dealing skill is just obviously the best way to kill things, and Panther looks to be able to kill teams before they can make use of the AP he's giving them and is a huge deterrent on defense even if you can make use of all 5 (!) AP to wipe his team.

I just looked up his move.... 646 damage to all enemies at level 15... and the only drawback is he gives 5ap of the color they match for the most damage.... that is going to be really scary at high levels.

shaowebb

I just looked up his move.... 646 damage to all enemies at level 15... and the only drawback is he gives 5ap of the color they match for the most damage.... that is going to be really scary at high levels.

Found a dude's team who has a lvl 105 Black Panther with almost full covers *eyeroll*.EDIT: Found another dude even higher with the yellow covers too. LOL. Doubt these are legit players but anyhoo...

Here's a screenshot of how that badboy plays out.
n8zABro.jpg

GYwREnE.jpg

fJ2NCiY.jpg
XxTi1iZ.gif

zulux21

Found a dude's team who has a lvl 105 Black Panther with almost full covers *eyeroll*.EDIT: Found another dude even higher with the yellow covers too. LOL. Doubt these are legit players but anyhoo...

Here's a screenshot of how that badboy plays out.

http://i.imgur.com/n8zABro.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/GYwREnE.jpgIMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/fJ2NCiY.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/XxTi1iZ.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

so... basically... when we get stuck facing him boosted in pvp, or at level 230 in pve it will be if they get 12 black ap you lose as you will likely be looking at about 7k damage to all of your characters if he does that move in that case lol.

also it seems like 1 star storm, 2 star widow and black panther will be a well balanced team (aside from maybe hp :P) as storm gets green and red, widow blue and purple, and panther yellow and black, with storms red feeding pathers yellow with event, her green feeding them all ap, widows purple stealing ap, her blue healing, and panthers yellow and black killing. could be a fun team.

shaowebb

so... basically... when we get stuck facing him boosted in pvp, or at level 230 in pve it will be if they get 12 black ap you lose as you will likely be looking at about 7k damage to all of your characters if he does that move in that case lol.

also it seems like 1 star storm, 2 star widow and black panther will be a well balanced team (aside from maybe hp :p) as storm gets green and red, widow blue and purple, and panther yellow and black, with storms red feeding pathers yellow with event, her green feeding them all ap, widows purple stealing ap, her blue healing, and panthers yellow and black killing. could be a fun team.

Pretty much except Storm's red there only pop's environment tiles...all it does is clear space to yield more actual AP when her green hits. She'd battery quicker but she caps at 50. For the life lead (and damage perks) you might also try a Classic Storm/Panther/ Thor team.

If healthy and filled with covers any single character in it is capable of running the whole opposition's team alone, but together Thor/Storm battery everyone. While remaining the best pound for pound damaging batteries he could hope for.

zulux21

Pretty much except Storm's red there only pop's environment tiles...all it does is clear space to yield more actual AP when her green hits. She'd battery quicker but she caps at 50. For the life lead (and damage perks) you might also try a Classic Storm/Panther/ Thor team.

If healthy and filled with covers any single character in it is capable of running the whole opposition's team alone, but together Thor/Storm battery everyone. While remaining the best pound for pound damaging batteries he could hope for.
her red pops the tiles and gives you the ap you would have gotten if she had matched them (aka 3 event per tile) which would fuel panthers yellow move decently as you usually can get 30 or so event ap with a single red storm move. (plus it's no uncommon for a few matches to happen right after you remove 10 tiles from the board :p)

I've personally found 1star storm and thor to be a such a better battery that I would use her at 50 over classic at 85... 1star's ability to remove pointless event tiles plus her in general more effective green move works a lot better to create a non stop battery.

I also don't like running a team without my widow... sure other teams can kill faster, but teams with widow rarely ever have to use health packs... which is a plus for someone who refuses to spend any money on health packs ever :p.

don't get me wrong, I like classic storm, her blue move is awesome.... i really wish her green move kept the 6 bonus tiles you had before the 5th cover instead of just making it 1 per ap you have... her green ratio would then be better than the original pretty much all the time.. instead you have to have 20 green ap for classic storm's green move to have a better tiles destroyed vs ap spent ratio than 1 star storm :/

shaowebb

her red pops the tiles and gives you the ap you would have gotten if she had matched them (aka 3 event per tile) which would fuel panthers yellow move decently as you usually can get 30 or so event ap with a single red storm move. (plus it's no uncommon for a few matches to happen right after you remove 10 tiles from the board :p)

I've personally found 1star storm and thor to be a such a better battery that I would use her at 50 over classic at 85... 1star's ability to remove pointless event tiles plus her in general more effective green move works a lot better to create a non stop battery.

I also don't like running a team without my widow... sure other teams can kill faster, but teams with widow rarely ever have to use health packs... which is a plus for someone who refuses to spend any money on health packs ever :p.

don't get me wrong, I like classic storm, her blue move is awesome.... i really wish her green move kept the 6 bonus tiles you had before the 5th cover instead of just making it 1 per ap you have... her green ratio would then be better than the original pretty much all the time.. instead you have to have 20 green ap for classic storm's green move to have a better tiles destroyed vs ap spent ratio than 1 star storm :/

My bad. I thought he used yellow to fuel things...not 15 environmental ap. Yeah she'd do well then. Just mind when your opponent is sitting on abilities and try to keep from popping Storm's tiles if they just got fuel. She'll be the weakest link on the team.

Gotchaye

also it seems like 1 star storm, 2 star widow and black panther will be a well balanced team (aside from maybe hp :p) as storm gets green and red, widow blue and purple, and panther yellow and black, with storms red feeding pathers yellow with event, her green feeding them all ap, widows purple stealing ap, her blue healing, and panthers yellow and black killing. could be a fun team.

Storm will be tanking red and green and Widow's passive won't fire on black or blue - you're going to go through a lot of health packs resurrecting Storm and Widow's pretty much only being used for her purple and an occasional heal.

I think Storm can make sense for a strategy based on getting 12 black as quickly as possible, but she needs red and green coverage from Punisher or Patch (or Thor) or someone like that. Probably Hood is better than Widow if Widow only leads on purple.

Defensively, I feel like Patch/Panther/Hood is the way to go, provided the AI saves black for Panther. At equal levels Patch takes red, green, and purple, so there are three colors (red, green, black) that the enemy needs to worry about and Hood makes it very difficult to deny them all while also making it really hard to focus on Panther first.

zulux21

Storm will be tanking red and green and Widow's passive won't fire on black or blue - you're going to go through a lot of health packs resurrecting Storm and Widow's pretty much only being used for her purple and an occasional heal.

I think Storm can make sense for a strategy based on getting 12 black as quickly as possible, but she needs red and green coverage from Punisher or Patch or someone like that. Probably Hood is better than Widow if Widow only leads on purple.

Defensively, I feel like Patch/Panther/Hood is the way to go, provided the AI saves black for Panther. At equal levels Patch takes red, green, and purple, so there are three colors (red, green, black) that the enemy needs to worry about and Hood makes it very difficult to deny them all while also making it really hard to focus on Panther first.

I don't have a usable hood :/
I would goof around with him more if i did lol.
and I suppose that could be the case with lots of death if I used that team.... I will likely just stick to my thor/widow/storm team i was using last event for pve where i only used 2 med packs for the entire thing while repeatedly taking down 190+ teams (the two times were when I got really unlucky and the enemy chained a match into a 5 match into a crit match.)

shaowebb

How about Dr Doom and MN Magneto? MN Mags uses purple to generate Blue and Dr Doom uses the Blue to flood the board with Black ending in Black Panther sweeping their team. Healthy bunch of dudes and should one fall they work well in 2 man sets.

I don't have a usable hood :/
I would goof around with him more if i did lol.

Hood is a hero I really wish I had a reason to use. I have one sitting at like 55, because his Blue ability is nonsense, and he has a bonkers crit multiplier (I think it's 5.5 or 6 when most peoples is like 3). I would love to get him around level 80 and boosted to see what he's capable of, because he has a lot of potential (even though Intimidate is spotty at best). I think a Hood/Thor/C Storm team could be really effective.

Spider-man's blue and yellow abilities are stupid op and need a nerf badly.

That is all. EOM

His Blue is really the problem. It's like a 3 turn stun that costs a couple AP (I almost think it's 3 or 4) and generates web tiles like they are going out of style. After 4-5 turns even if you have his whole team down to 1 HP he can conceivably heal them all back to full. Spider-Man is OP, but the saving grace is the fact that nobody can seem to get a good number of his covers. I have had mine sitting at level 43 for like a month now...

cobell

His Blue is really the problem. It's like a 3 turn stun that costs a couple AP (I almost think it's 3 or 4) and generates web tiles like they are going out of style. After 4-5 turns even if you have his whole team down to 1 HP he can conceivably heal them all back to full. Spider-Man is OP, but the saving grace is the fact that nobody can seem to get a good number of his covers. I have had mine sitting at level 43 for like a month now...

We must be in different PVP tiers. 3/4 of the teams I face have lvl 100+ Spiderman.

And the blue is ridiculously overpowered; there is no possible way to not argue against that. Each level reduces the cost by 1 AP. At 5 level 5 his blue skill costs 2 blue AP to throw a web tile. Each tile stuns for as many turns as there are web tiles (up to 5). I run with a lvl 70 Spidey with a MN Magneto. It takes a few turns to generate endless stuns for the rest of the match.

While the yellow power is powerful, it is mainly due to how ridiculous it is to generate web tiles with just Spidey.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sorry I think that was my fault. I was in danger of dropping out of the top 10 so I played one more match. By the end of it, I didn't expect to place #4 at 11:59 pm. Those Oscars really made me look for a distraction.

Thanks to this whole event, I now have a formidable Classic Storm, MN Magneto, and I won covers for Black Panther, Psylocke, Rangnarok, Punisher and Daredevil. Now I can start transitioning from two star to three star characters.
iYNmNFOrA8NIJ.GIF

It's all good, this event has been too good to me already, and I ended up getting my extra slot anyways.

This PvP is pissing me off right now. Spent maybe an hour to get to the top spots (really need model 43 covers) and now I'm getting attacked faster than I can even fight. How the hell can you win these things if I'm fighting matches for 15 measly points and returning to -30 every time?

animus82

Banned
This PvP is pissing me off right now. Spent maybe an hour to get to the top spots (really need model 43 covers) and now I'm getting attacked faster than I can even fight. How the hell can you win these things if I'm fighting matches for 15 measly points and returning to -30 every time?

Got me man.

I didn't shield last night and woke up to a -215.

Lots of competition and you look like an easy target. Best thing to do in my opinion is to wake up really early. Like in the middle of the night. Get to the top, hit it with an 8 hour shield and ride it out...

How bad do you want those covers?

Got me man.

I didn't shield last night and woke up to a -215.

Lots of competition and you look like an easy target. Best thing to do in my opinion is to wake up really early. Like in the middle of the night. Get to the top, hit it with an 8 hour shield and ride it out...

How bad do you want those covers?

It's just crazy to me how bad the AI is. I can beat these teams 90% of the time, but my team is constantly losing. And because these characters are maxed out at 85 and I don't have any three star characters with enough covers, I'm just screwed.

The problem of the "skip penalty" is that a lot of times you get attacked by people that is lower than you on the table.

Then, you can skip, or you can counter. But, if you counter, you'll get attacked again by the same person, so you'll end losing more points than the ones that you'll get if you skipped the attacker.

BTW, Hulk Event. Nice. Now I can relax... oh, wait, new Thor? Damn...

yeah a new thor that seems to be basically the same as the old thor except slightly higher hp and yellow damage, and of course a higher level cap.

But it will be necessary for new events, so we'll have to play the event to get at least one cover :p

Also, probably Black Panther will be necessary for some battles.

Askani

Fuck me...another 9 day event. Another new cover. You're killing me, guys.

ROFL at the three star THOR that is the same as the original 2 star Thor.

Long live the king

Second verse, same as the first

A little bit louder and a little bit worse...

animus82

Banned
Fuck me...another 9 day event. Another new cover. You're killing me, guys.

Second verse, same as the first

A little bit louder and a little bit worse...

Dude man, they keep pushing the need for more cover space. They must make a ton of money from pushing new charters to force F2P people to buy new slots.

I have 24 slots and I no longer have any 1 stars. I had to sell my beloved Juggernaut to make room for IM 40.

Top Bottom