• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

shaowebb

you can't stack as many as you want...
you still only have 3 slots...
of those slots you can only stack up to 3 of the +1 ap of two color.
and up to 5 of the damage boosting ones (which is indeed a decent change but even at a little over double damage for matches I don't see it being a huge game changer due to the cost)

Wait... you only get +1 of a color now unless you stack 3? That's one way to contend with some stuff in the game I guess...

Wow, the missions on those events are really hard. Nearly all of them over 150. I can deal with mobs easily with Patch, but those Ares + Moonstone + Juggernaut are a pain in the ass. A single attack of Ares or Juggy can kill a single char, and their skills are too cheap. If they have a lucky chain, the match is over.

Special mention for the Ares + 2 mobs, that are building green AP each turn.

zulux21

Wait... you only get +1 of a color now unless you stack 3? That's one way to contend with some stuff in the game I guess...

yeah all of the old boosts have been retired aside from the crit damage boost (which can stack up to 125% crit damage boost with 5)

the cap on boosts has also risen (I have 13 crit boosts currently)

but yeah the start with ap ones are no only plus 1 to two color (or I think plus 1 to all) of which when you run out currently you get 5 for 200 iso... aka they just basically doubled the costs of boosts again.

I am hoping this is a mistake as they clearly said before this change that the overall costs should be about the same.

but yeah while the ap gain ones are currently nerfed all of the damage ones are quite a bit stronger... I mean the 10% bonus to any match is now a 20% bonus that can be stacked 5 times to 100%.

Wow, the missions on those events are really hard. Nearly all of them over 150. I can deal with mobs easily with Patch, but those Ares + Moonstone + Juggernaut are a pain in the ass. A single attack of Ares or Juggy can kill a single char, and their skills are too cheap. If they have a lucky chain, the match is over.

the only match that bothers me currently is the special mention you just said.... ares getting that much green no mater what you do is such a pain... if I wasn't using a team that basically makes it so he only has 4 turns or so to gain mana and kill me I don't know if I could kill him fast enough to not be murdered by his green move even with my highest level characters.

shaowebb

yeah all of the old boosts have been retired aside from the crit damage boost (which can stack up to 125% crit damage boost with 5)

the cap on boosts has also risen (I have 13 crit boosts currently)

but yeah the start with ap ones are no only plus 1 to two color (or I think plus 1 to all) of which when you run out currently you get 5 for 200 iso... aka they just basically doubled the costs of boosts again.

I am hoping this is a mistake as they clearly said before this change that the overall costs should be about the same.

but yeah while the ap gain ones are currently nerfed all of the damage ones are quite a bit stronger... I mean the 10% bonus to any match is now a 20% bonus that can be stacked 5 times to 100%.

the only match that bothers me currently is the special mention you just said.... ares getting that much green no mater what you do is such a pain... if I wasn't using a team that basically makes it so he only has 4 turns or so to gain mana and kill me I don't know if I could kill him fast enough to not be murdered by his green move even with my highest level characters.

Wow, that does sound like a mistake if they were throwing that kind of talk around. 1 extra for 100 iso? pffffff...nope. Not certain how I feel about these if they stack up to 3 and go back up to 3 though...

MN Magneto/Classic Storm/Thor

If you got it, ABUSE IT :D

kswiston

Can't say I am a fan of these new changes, but I suppose something had to give when I was beating level 125-150 PVE Brotherhood foes with relative ease using a 55/55/45 Classic Storm/Thor/Marvel Now Mags team, along with a blue/purple boost and maybe the odd omnicolour boost.

Can't say I am a fan of these new changes, but I suppose something had to give when I was beating level 125-150 PVE Brotherhood foes with relative ease using a 55/55/45 Classic Storm/Thor/Marvel Now Mags team, along with a blue/purple boost and maybe the odd omnicolour boost.

I was able to clear up to ~175 Brotherhood foes with 85/80/64 Thor/Classic Storm/Punisher, but once they got up higher I couldn't do much since they were sitting on almost 7k HP each and would have 3-4 countdowns placed every turn or so. It got nuts fast.

MN Magneto/Classic Storm/Thor

If you got it, ABUSE IT :D

I don't have a full leveled MN Magneto or Classic Storm, so I use for those difficult matches a Modern Storm + OBW + Patch (with max regeneration, to tank), and the matches are like 20 minutes long, so I'm doing those matches only once.

In non-desert levels is impossible to avoid the enemy to make some matches, but OBW can heal and steal the few AP that the enemy gets.

I don't have a full leveled MN Magneto or Classic Storm, so I use for those difficult matches a Modern Storm + OBW + Patch (with max regeneration, to tank), and the matches are like 20 minutes long, so I'm doing those matches only once.

In non-desert levels is impossible to avoid the enemy to make some matches, but OBW can heal and steal the few AP that the enemy gets.

...I would rather lose than spend 20 minutes per match...

animus82

Banned
I don't know about you guys, but I've been getting my ass destroyed because I don't have my Purple and Blue AP boost and I can't get anything going. Or by the time I do, one of my guys gets two shoted.

Mag now, obw and patch.

The whole, unlock your boosts again during a PVE event sucks and is bad timing.

Gotchaye

It's probably worth keeping in mind that changes like the one they've made to boosts are going to be nearly zero-sum in the medium- and long-term, since most prizes are awarded competitively and the developers are clearly willing to adjust progression rewards and mission difficulty such that apparently non-competitive prizes are de facto competitive. So the question isn't "Is a given mission harder for me with the new boosts?" It's "Do I face more additional difficulty due to the new boosts than other players?"

I think the main thing to be concerned about with changes is the extent to which they shift the game towards a pay-to-win model. Weakening AP boosts is probably a good thing in that respect.

Alliances are somewhat disappointing. I'm still happy to make one, but also happy to wait until there's some point to being in them.

Adamwoz

Neo Member
Looking for a suggestion on who to level for damage/tanking. I've got
Punisher 3/3/4
Hulk 5/3/1

Who is the safer bet to level? I'm tired of leveling characters, only to see them get nerfed shortly after getting them to max! (C.Storm, Thor, A.Wolverine)

Looking for a suggestion on who to level for damage/tanking. I've got
Punisher 3/3/4
Hulk 5/3/1

Who is the safer bet to level? I'm tired of leveling characters, only to see them get nerfed shortly after getting them to max! (C.Storm, Thor, A.Wolverine)

If you're really tired of that, then the only answer is "both". It keeps you from investing too much in one or the other, and now that there's a respec option, you'll always be ready for the next unbalance.

It's my method so I'm a little biased, but it's also the only one guaranteed to never break your heart.

It's my method so I'm a little biased, but it's also the only one guaranteed to never break your heart.

Yeah, whenever I spend ISO to level up, I just choose my lowest level character that I can train, and dump all my ISO into him/her (unless another lower level character is buffed for the event I'm in, then I might prioritize them). I've got about 20 characters in the 40ish level range now, and another 7 or 8 (mostly 3 star characters) who I just have one or two covers of hanging out in the teens/20s.

Occasionally I end up too busy to get too involved and end up super underleveled for the PvP events though. I think between the simulator and this brotherhood series, I am mostly back in contention though. I blitzed that 1 star event in the last hour and had I started about 20 mins earlier I would have definitely got top 10

shaowebb

9PZsa3H.jpg

You forget to finish something there D3?

At least this time the bugs in the event dont crash my PC game lol.

animus82

Banned
So i managed to get my pink and blue boosts back so everything is going smooth again.

Now I just spend a ton of ISO on boosts.

Can't believe I'm sayin this but I could use a small break from the PVE events. Keepin up with the jones' and all.

zulux21

It's probably worth keeping in mind that changes like the one they've made to boosts are going to be nearly zero-sum in the medium- and long-term, since most prizes are awarded competitively and the developers are clearly willing to adjust progression rewards and mission difficulty such that apparently non-competitive prizes are de facto competitive. So the question isn't "Is a given mission harder for me with the new boosts?" It's "Do I face more additional difficulty due to the new boosts than other players?"

I think the main thing to be concerned about with changes is the extent to which they shift the game towards a pay-to-win model. Weakening AP boosts is probably a good thing in that respect.

Alliances are somewhat disappointing. I'm still happy to make one, but also happy to wait until there's some point to being in them.

I figure right now the cost is 2.5k iso which isn't horrible for an unknown, it might not pan out into anything but it also might and they might up the cost later... it might not be a horrible idea to get in one now... i wish they were bigger though so we could fit this entire thread of people in one alliance.

Can't believe I'm sayin this but I could use a small break from the PVE events. Keepin up with the jones' and all.

10 days is too long for an event, especially when each part of it seems to only last 24-36 hours. I like that they changed it from each part lasting 2-3 days, but they should have kept the events as 3-5 days events with each segment being 24 hours. They could even alternate between PvP and PvE events with each being 4ish days.

I figure right now the cost is 2.5k iso which isn't horrible for an unknown, it might not pan out into anything but it also might and they might up the cost later... it might not be a horrible idea to get in one now... i wish they were bigger though so we could fit this entire thread of people in one alliance.

As I see it, Alliances can only get better. But they also don't want to make them too good to the point where you are penalized for not being in one, or that high level players can exploit the game because of their benefits.

cobell

How big are the groups allowed to be in an alliance if they cost 2500 to make?

Alliances are capped at 5 people right now. And there's no way to stop someone from joining an Alliance or making the Alliance private. Anyone can search and join an Alliance. Though "Commanders" can promote/kick. And the creator of the Alliance starts off as a Commander

shaowebb

Alliances are capped at 5 people right now. And there's no way to stop someone from joining an Alliance or making the Alliance private. Anyone can search and join an Alliance. Though "Commanders" can promote/kick. And the creator of the Alliance starts off as a Commander

Geez...and the rewards are what? Pooled points score to guarantee 5 folks get a #1 pot?

cobell

Geez...and the rewards are what? Pooled points score to guarantee 5 folks get a #1 pot?

I haven't been able to tell what benefits you get. It really looks like none to me. There's the Alliance interface, but there's not much you can do in it.

But at 2500 ISO, I was willing to create the one see how it went.

It could just be some really small crappy friends list. It might even stop other Alliance members from showing up on your match lists. Whatever the case is, I haven't been able to see any kind of benefit from Alliances so far (beyond seeing specific player's cards).

shaowebb

Are you gonna make one shao? I still haven't joined one yet.

Not certain. If events are going to be 10 days long and 36 hrs per segment though it'd be nice to be able to "tag out" and not give a shit here and there. I keep going in because they keep doin em for new characters and those ALWAYS end up with exclusive fights you can't do in an event later without them. If it turns out I can do the whole "tag out" thing I'll likely set one up at some point. I generally go in on the current event when a new one forms, secure a 1st by simply clearing story and doing maybe an extra or two of the high pt ones and then I pop in before work in the morning and a little before bed. I'm generally too wiped out to draw or animate when I get home as that is something that once I start I dont sleep until Im done and I cant afford that right now.

If I could just secure 1st and pass it on to other guys to maintain though it'd be a big benefit to me and I guess to others since I got the Leveled covers on MN Mags, Classic Storm and several reserve killers and setups to use.

If anyone has an alliance here let me know and we can see what it does.

zulux21

you know what's awesome...
when you are mindlessly playing puzzle quest without paying attention at all....
and continue to do so for a few days... losing track of time..
and looking up and seeing you have 30k iso lol....
was barely enough for me to level my black widow to max... my first max 2 star ^-^

on a different note I feel like I am getting attacked a lot less since the skip tax showed up o_O;

on a different note I feel like I am getting attacked a lot less since the skip tax showed up o_O;

That's the intended side effect. Where as you used to skip 20-30 people to cherry pick a very favorable fight, now you pretty much have 2-3 chances to skip before you're paying into the system. I welcome this change, although I abused the fuck out of it.

zulux21

That's the intended side effect. Where as you used to skip 20-30 people to cherry pick a very favorable fight, now you pretty much have 2-3 chances to skip before you're paying into the system. I welcome this change, although I abused the fuck out of it.

yup, though... it's really weird... I have a lot of points in the lightning round and have yet to be attacked... though I suppose I have a decent team
85 widow, 60 patch, 63 punisher lol.

hehe I finally get attacked and i get 5 points :p

so I think I ended up with 461 points in rank 8 unless someone squeaked past me very last second... not to bad at all.
the match find seems to be working a lot better, all of my matches were worth more than 10 points (most 11-15) and while I skipped a bit I never had to pay a skip tax to find a decent match (I skipped once or twice even after finding good matches to line up a few in all of my nodes)

zulux21

That re-spec is very handy.

indeed it is, no more needing to worry about what covers to apply to characters and just worry about what I want the character to have after I have max powers on them.

I am really digging this skip tax though... I had a decent team, but even then I only got attacked twice in the entire lightning round that I played from start to finish.... that is like 95% less attacks than normal lol.

yay two tokens...
black punisher and red hulk.. nothing great (really wanted widow or spiderman) but at least I can sell the black punisher without feeling bad... first maxed out 3 star cover sell every... woot 25hp :p

black punisher and red hulk.. nothing great (really wanted widow or spiderman) but at least I can sell the black punisher without feeling bad... first maxed out 3 star cover sell every... woot 25hp :p

I have gotten so many Green Hulk covers it's not even funny. I have had him at 5 since the first week he was released, since then have only gotten 2 Black Hulk covers and 0 Red ones. Really would like to have Smash. Everyone wants Spider-Man. Not sure if they buffed him or he's just really starting to shine, but he is absolutely ridiculous as a Support Hero. What's his stun cost, like 2 blue AP and it generates a Web tile for a team-wide heal? Yes please...

Wait, how do you get HP for selling covers? I'm playing the iOS version and you get ISO--a fairly depressing amount at that (100 for 1* + 25 per additional *)...

Anilones

I have gotten so many Green Hulk covers it's not even funny. I have had him at 5 since the first week he was released, since then have only gotten 2 Black Hulk covers and 0 Red ones. Really would like to have Smash. Everyone wants Spider-Man. Not sure if they buffed him or he's just really starting to shine, but he is absolutely ridiculous as a Support Hero. What's his stun cost, like 2 blue AP and it generates a Web tile for a team-wide heal? Yes please...

Wait, how do you get HP for selling covers? I'm playing the iOS version and you get ISO--a fairly depressing amount at that (100 for 1* + 25 per additional *)...

I've got a 5-0-0 Hulk, I just want one black cover for the brilliant passive to initiate.

3* covers can be sold for ~150 Iso and 25 HP.

cobell

I like and dislike the new system. While I agree there needs to be some form of protection against cherry picking opponents, the default opponents I get are always terrible.

Take the last few lightning rounds the past day or so. My opponents are all lvl 100+ builds with spidey, <lighting round guy>, and other. or lvl 5-20 opponents with crap decks. It never fails to be like this for me. And except for a lvl 105 IM model 40, the bulk guys are all in the 60-80 range (or lower).

So I literally have no chance to win or I absolutely crush the opponents. Whatever algorithm they use to match opponents isn't that great (or purposely doing this to "encourage" use of the boosts).

AVclub

I haven't read through the last few pages. Did you guys see that it lets you make changes to maxed out abilities if you get a new card for a character? This is really helpful. I like that they aren't set in stone anymore, requiring a selloff and restart if you don't like how they came out.

Other than that, the other changes are kinda shitty. Limiting the amount of times you can skip the randomly assigned opponents without paying, is pretty fucked up.

I urge everyone who doesn't like the changes made to the game, especially after paying any kind of money for upgrades, to be vocal about your disapproval in the ratings of the game. You can edit or make changes to your reviews.

Also, I wish there was a way to invite your friends to join your alliance.

AVclub

Is there some place I can find recommendations for good teams that keeps up to date with all these changes they keep rolling out? Seems like the teams I spend all this time building become shitty each time there's an update.

zulux21

Is there some place I can find recommendations for good teams that keeps up to date with all these changes they keep rolling out? Seems like the teams I spend all this time building become shitty each time there's an update.

this thread is a decent place as are the main forums... anyways they released a list a while ago on characters they are going to alter (4 star wolverine, one of the hawkeyes, 3 star mags, and spiderman are still on the list if I recall right)

I'm currently running 2 star widow, thor, and 1 star storm as my team in PVE and 2 star widow, patch and some random third character as my team in pvp both work well for me and neither should be altered soon.

zulux21

Someone here recommended Classic Storm and Marvel Now Mags as a duo and DAYUM they are sweet as hell, especially in this current PVE.

if you have covers for them they are really solid together...
my mags is lacking some purple covers so he is only ok with her... If I had more purple I would likely play with that team more.

I'm going to assume you mean Thor+Wolverine. They are both still strong, but they can no longer muscle out other teams by themselves. You can still use em, just not really on the same team anymore.

Currently, I think it makes most sense to build around a support character. For 2-stars, that's either obw or c.storm.

Obw + Wolvie, Ares, Daken...
C.Storm + Thor, Mags, Daken...

For 3-stars, Spidey + whoever really. C.Mags is obviously very strong, but I think post-nerfs, Spidey will be more useful due to his support role. In the end, Mags is just damage which is interchangeable. No other 3-star can heal, stun or lay down protect tiles (new Black Panther has protect tiles though; DD can stun but quite frankly not very well).

I guess 3 blue/5 purple/5 red is really the only choice with MN Mags, huh? Especially using him with CStorm.

5/3/5 is for real OGs.

It a 4 countdown, but his max Blue clears the entire board. I rarely find myself unable to protect it long enough to pop. And Purple, even at 3, gets you four blue tiles, enough to rip shit up something fierce.

zulux21

So 5 member limit can be expanded by the spending of HP. Who wants to be in charge of the gaf alliance now? Lol

Upcoming Alliance Features
Postby IceIX » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:16 pm

We've had a ton of questions about our plans for Alliances now that it's out in basic form as a feature, so I went ahead and put together a few things that we'll be rolling out for this feature. Note that there are no timelines for these, so they may be R49, R50, etc. but these are some of our near-term plans for Alliances. As a feature it'll likely be growing beyond this, so this is not the be all end all of the system.

Alliance Leaderboards - Players will be able to see the rankings of the different Alliances within tournaments. Certain events will have Alliances-based leaderboards where your rank and rewards are based on the performance of your team in the event.

Expand Alliances – Players will be able to spend Hero Points to expand their Alliance, adding more friends to their existing Alliance.

Private Alliances – Allowing players to create an exclusive Alliance that can only be joined with the Commander’s approval.

Chat – The ability to chat with other players in your Alliance to share tactics and discuss strategy.
full details...
and not me, I suck to much to place high enough to win HP most of the time :p

Top Bottom