• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Holy crap.

I guess I'll take a raincheck on that one.

Anyone want to start a second alliance?
I went ahead and started a new one for those of us that can't join the current one and are a bit late to the party. Name is: GAF-Men

It's listed as private now so no random non-gaffers try to join. Just quote this message to let me know you are joining. I'll promote all to commander (I'm assuming that's how it works?) that way we can help each other out on expanding the alliance. I only have 400 HP, usually run low.

I am RetroGiant on there.

shaowebb

Really appreciating the renewed focus being in an alliance has had on my PVP activity. I usually just do the minimum and focus on PVE but I've been spending some stored up boosts and really making a push in the name of TEAMWORK. Wish there were alliance rewards in PVE though, because I am straight beasting. These locked down heroics are where my tried and true LEVEL ALL method really pays off.

Ditto. The Event thing with Juggernaut looks like its going to net me a modern Thor because I had a backpocket Widow, Captain America, Storm team that I'd tested and leveled. Generally you Battery with Storm and use Widow stuns and AP stealing to battery/support Storm. The stun lets her get her AP built up fairly well. Its just not as fast and Thor/Storm or as healthy/damaging. Thats what Cap is for. His yellow ability effectively nets extra turns by using it to setup 5 of a kind rather than protection and good damage off of just normal damage is worth it as I have no attackers on my team . Whenever he ends up with an ability ready he is there to replace enemy countdown timers with his own if I dont have a green storm move manage to pop them. He's their pseudo meat shield and he keeps Widow/Storm from jumping in front of crap since his symbol is all over blue and red. Its not my best, but its fairly safe and works really well on these teams up until the Magneto matchup.

Outside of that I've been putting in pvp matches to help out the Alliance. We're up to rank 20 now and climbing fast. I'm out of OBW and Heals so I gotta wait a bit before going back in but I'm like rank 30 and sitting on 3 easy money matches all worth 30 for when I go back in. Also I'm experimenting with a new team on this event thats surprisingly working well as a backup team based off of Tile values. Thor/Hulk/MN Magneto.

Problem with mags is he gets hit too easily. He can wipe teams solo and does often but he dies trying to gain AP. I pop in my Hulk to Take priority on the red tiles so Mags doesn't get hit farming for his red move and Hulk also takes priority off of Thor and jumps in front for green. Hulk is a meat shield and then some. Basically my two hardest hitting moves in Thor's Green and Magneto's Red are safe to seek AP for as the folks after those colors never take damage. Nothing I can do to make yellow and purple safe to grab sadly, but so far this is keeping my sluggers alive well into the AP search. I've actually used less heals and won more matches with this team build tactic than by using combination team setups like my Thor/ C.Storm/MN Mags main. It just consolidates damage onto one character almost entirely and he can go for MANY matches before needing healed.

I'm gonna do some work on Hulk and seek out other meat shield cast. See if I can't find folks who their tile priority would benefit. Some teams are amazing simply because the key players never get hit. I think there is a chance using Hulk could extremely augment certain 2 character setups to make them far better simply because he takes them out of the line of fire.
I went ahead and started a new one for those of us that can't join the current one and are a bit late to the party. Name is: GAF-Men

It's listed as private now so no random non-gaffers try to join. Just quote this message to let me know you are joining. I'll promote all to commander (I'm assuming that's how it works?) that way we can help each other out on expanding the alliance. I only have 400 HP, usually run low.

Gaf-vengers vs Gaf-men

A Neogaf event.

Dispatch

Thanks, Rocksteady, I'd like to join. My PQ name is also Dispatch. I'll send a request in a second.

I am ZackieChan on there. Currently out of HP, but I will be buying more to shield with. Have 500 in the current PVP tourney, top ten.

shaowebb

Fuck all these Thors, man :/

Helps to run one of the widows vs them. You stop Thor by stealing his AP and then focusing on collecting greens for yourself and killing his battery team mates. 3 most prominent cast I see are Thor, Classic Storm, and OBW right now followed closely by MN Magneto. Top tier thief/healer support character and 3 characters capable of wiping teams on their own (2 of which hit all 3 at one time).

Only thing I can say is fight bullshit with bullshit and use Thor. Heck if you're money happy and just wanna go nuts throw your cash at Spiderman's blue cover until its level 5 and just go nuts. That or Classic Mags red. Its what I'd do if I was one of those whales that just throw money at problems.

BlackJace

Helps to run one of the widows vs them. You stop Thor by stealing his AP and then focusing on collecting greens for yourself and killing his battery team mates. 3 most prominent cast I see are Thor, Classic Storm, and OBW right now followed closely by MN Magneto. Top tier thief/healer support character and 3 characters capable of wiping teams on their own (2 of which hit all 3 at one time).

Only thing I can say is fight bullshit with bullshit and use Thor. Heck if you're money happy and just wanna go nuts throw your cash at Spiderman's blue cover until its level 5 and just go nuts. That or Classic Mags red. Its what I'd do if I was one of those whales that just throw money at problems.

Yeah, I figured that I now have to work either an OBW or Thor into my team for most PVPs now. I have a 3P 1Y 1Bl Spiderman,so All Tied Up isn't quite viable unfortunately.

Gotchaye

Fuck all these Thors, man :/

I'm afraid that pretty soon it's going to be Thors as far as the eye can see. Modern Thor appears to compare very well with other 3* characters and I won't be surprised if he replaces Punisher in many teams. If Spider-Man and C. Magneto nerfs make Patch much less playable then he's going to be a strong replacement for Patch too, although he also works pretty well on a team with Patch.

Although they've also made it really hard to actually get 13 covers for many of their newer 3* characters, so this might take a while. The introduction of villains as prizes in PvP tournaments seems to have come at the cost of no longer getting a bunch of tournaments with the latest character as a prize.

kswiston

I'm afraid that pretty soon it's going to be Thors as far as the eye can see. Modern Thor appears to compare very well with other 3* characters and I won't be surprised if he replaces Punisher in many teams. If Spider-Man and C. Magneto nerfs make Patch much less playable then he's going to be a strong replacement for Patch too, although he also works pretty well on a team with Patch.

Although they've also made it really hard to actually get 13 covers for many of their newer 3* characters, so this might take a while. The introduction of villains as prizes in PvP tournaments seems to have come at the cost of no longer getting a bunch of tournaments with the latest character as a prize.

They have also been messing around with the awards structure in PVP. I'm glad that I joined the game a few months ago, because I am not sure how a newer player is supposed to get a couple good 2-star teams going when it looks like PVP tourneys now only net you one 2-star cover, even if you do end up in the top 51-75.

sibarraz

Banned
Well, I'm now 56 on the general players list, I had been doing better on the alliance thing. Still, with only 3/4 decent enough heroes, couldn't do that much, I will wait to get full hp and hope to get at least on top 50 to get another black panther

Btw, how does the bracket works?

cobell

Btw, how does the bracket works?

You don't compete with every other player in most of the competitions like pvp. It's just a smaller bracket of players.

From what I understand, the game adjusts what bracket you are in depending on how well you ranked (and probably other methods as well) in previous competitions.

Hate lvl 85 obw. She's my first target but make a mistake and she heals and steals ruining my plans.

It's sad that in PvP an gauge my success on whether or not I can get the opponents OBW down before a heal or lethal recon goes off. I win 99% of matches where that happens and like 33% where she gets one or both off. Kinda bullshit.

It's sad that in PvP an gauge my success on whether or not I can get the opponents OBW down before a heal or lethal recon goes off. I win 99% of matches where that happens and like 33% where she gets one or both off. Kinda bullshit.

It's just the nature of the game now. I use the same OBW, Modern Storm, Thor team that I have been since Wolverine got nerfed, and it's been working well.

I have the same strategy, though I will always prioritize Classic Storm, then OBW, then Thor/damage guy. If they get off a steal or a heal, I'd say I'm 50/50, but my team will be decimated. If not, I usually come out fully healed from OBW's blue power.

Gotchaye

It's been a long time since there's been a PvP tournament with prizes I cared about. I'm at 700 points and still only seeing teams of level ~50 dudes. Debating whether or not to go for the green IW.

Spoit

It's been a long time since there's been a PvP tournament with prizes I cared about. I'm at 700 points and still only seeing teams of level ~50 dudes. Debating whether or not to go for the green IW.

WTB some tanking tournies. Patch+OBW+Spidey can eat through hulks and thor pretty fast, but setting up a heal before then takes a lot of time, and it's easy for a skyfall to happen, leaving your OBW at half health

zulux21

yay I am approaching 600... at the same time the leaders of the alliance are approaching 1k per person in the alliance on average lol

we should have a top 50 no problem though which isn't bad.

7yqes.jpg

I am losing my focus thus shield and I call it good enough... hopefully my alliance partners don't feel I am holding them back :p
woot 621 now as i won some points while shielded :p

NomarTyme

Made a final ten minute push. I only got attack once during the shield break, so I got up to 750 pts because I queued up some high points opponents.

yay I am approaching 600... at the same time the leaders of the alliance are approaching 1k per person in the alliance on average lol

we should have a top 50 no problem though which isn't bad.

I am losing my focus thus shield and I call it good enough... hopefully my alliance partners don't feel I am holding them back :p
woot 621 now as i won some points while shielded :p
Yeah there is no fucking way we can contest against these guys who form alliances with only strong players.

zulux21

Made a final ten minute push. I only got attack once during the shield break, so I got up to 750 pts because I queued up some high points opponents.

Yeah there is no fucking way we can contest against these guys who form alliances with only strong players.

as long as we constantly get top 50-100 I will have no problem... I rarely care enough to go for first anyways :p

i believe we ended up in 25th or so... so a top 50 which isn't bad.

Gotchaye

And the new tournament doesn't have alliance rewards. Hopefully it was intended to be this way and they have a plan. Otherwise this is going to be a trainwreck. On the one hand, alliance rewards were really awful pay-to-win since alliances with more members did much better. On the other, now D3 has to deal with a bunch of people spending 600-2000 HP each because it looked like that's what you had to do to get good prizes in tournaments going forward.

NineH

You guys are too good. I only managed to get to 570 before time ran out. Hope I can pull my weight in future alliance tourneys.

shugdaddy

Neo Member
And the new tournament doesn't have alliance rewards. Hopefully it was intended to be this way and they have a plan. Otherwise this is going to be a trainwreck. On the one hand, alliance rewards were really awful pay-to-win since alliances with more members did much better. On the other, now D3 has to deal with a bunch of people spending 600-2000 HP each because it looked like that's what you had to do to get good prizes in tournaments going forward.
Maybe the ones with no certain character required have alliance rewards, and the ones were some people may not have the required guy for don't.

Feels like a Shyamalan twist where, in the end, WE ARE ALL WHALES.

I'm happy to have grabbed two Panther covers for being top 10. Hopefully I get the three Modern Thor covers in the other tourney.

Nekobo

I'm interested in joining. ID is Nekobo. Can help with buying HP if needed.

Gotchaye

I see you in my bracket Gotchaye. I'm not sure if I will try for top 2 or not yet. I'm happy enough with top 10. Good luck in any case.

I'm inclined to just settle for top 10; I do need one more red Wolverine, but these fights are really boring for not much reward relative to a PvP tournament. I'll have to see what things look like in a few hours. Plus it looks like they're re-running the event immediately after this, and it should be easier with twice as many Modern Thor covers.

zulux21

Not having a Modern Thor is biting me in the ass. Bah!

i bet... like 10k of my points are from the modern thor events...

I find it really icky that they changed the 10 pack to triple the chance of getting one instead of guaranteeing one.

not that I would ever personally spend money on that but still.

shaowebb

I dont know if I got the time to shoot for Modern Thor. I got shit to do and with my team options restricted to cap, storm, widow and no way to get at the last 3 juggernaut fights its just way too many matches needed to break 100.

Sorry Thor but I got a life. I need to do some art badly.

NomarTyme

i bet... like 10k of my points are from the modern thor events...

I find it really icky that they changed the 10 pack to triple the chance of getting one instead of guaranteeing one.

not that I would ever personally spend money on that but still.

I had my chances with the two tokens but it was a huge fail.

zulux21

How much and what do I had to play to maximixe my score on event like heroic mode?

you really just want to do everything multiple times. If you don't have a 3 star thor though I doubt you will be able to get high enough to get one. I have one and have completed everything plus a few others multiple times and am barely in the top 100.

sibarraz

Banned
you really just want to do everything multiple times. If you don't have a 3 star thor though I doubt you will be able to get high enough to get one. I have one and have completed everything plus a few others multiple times and am barely in the top 100.

I had a thor and right now I'm at 56

zulux21

I had a thor and right now I'm at 56

then at this point you just want to do as many mission as possible (perhaps focusing on the ones with the most points first but I think if there was rubber banding you would have already hit the drop off point)

hm 24781 points... good for 65th or so... that will do I guess.

GGs Gotchaye. Looks like 3 of us were in the running. I dunno who got it. I'm not sure if my last mission made it in time or not.

Looks like the next one is divine champions. Yet again.

Top Bottom