• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Gotchaye

Bah, freaking OBW cascades. I guess I don't really care about doom covers anyway

Yeah I got wiped earlier by a Thor/Storm/OBW team. Buffs on characters that are good at causing cascades, plus OBW, are really painful. Usually Patch can shrug that off, but a level 120ish Thor using repeated Thunder Strikes while I don't have enough AP to do anything was too much.

zulux21

Bah, freaking OBW cascades. I guess I don't really care about doom covers anyway

I had to choose my battles... I might not have much time to do stuff in the next two days (Im busy with work and a party tomorrow, and work sunday) so I wanted to make sure to get some points for the alliance now (around 10k in both easy and hard) and get what I can sunday night so I don't drag the alliance down thus not going for the doom covers

Sadist

Well, the new event is great for me. Wolverine, Bullseye and Psylocke are all powered up and I'm grabbing the points. Almost at 20k.

Edit: If you see a new member for the GAF-Vengers, that would be me, EnerSpook :)

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Pulled two Modern Thors (red and yellow) on just the two star highly trained. Nice!

All I got was a Hawkeye Avoid

images

la_briola

Well, the new event is great for me. Wolverine, Bullseye and Psylocke are all powered up and I'm grabbing the points. Almost at 20k.

Edit: If you see a new member for the GAF-Vengers, that would be me, EnerSpook :)
I also joined! (mcd4ever)

edit: so we need to buy slots to stay? Can't really do that. Should I leave?

shaowebb

Hmmm...other than the Daken, Thor, Mags match Team Storm/Thor/Daken seems to plow through these easier than using the actual powered up heroes for me. Maybe if I had more blue covers for my Doom it'd be a different story though as I could pair his lvl 5 black with MN Mags and strip folks. That team with Bullseye gets nasty quick as the act of using polarity shift purple hunting floods the board with defense and then you can just let the turns wipe out their team once Doom puts down his strike tiles.

Rank 6 and 7 currently. Was higher but I got tons of time to push these later once the rubberbanding of points kicks in again. I have a lot of teams and longevity on this event so I should do well. Also got ANOTHER Hood cover blue out of a 2 star token. Good shit. And ares has leveled up like 15 levels since last night so hurray. I've been waiting to power level him. Had a ton of covers just other priorities to make it through other events. Now I can actually enjoy Ares, Storm, Thor some as he meat shields for both heavily given his priority on tiles and how if Thor drops I can still win with his attack power.

Dispatch

Alright, joined GAF-Men! (mcd4ever)

I tried to promote some of the people who just joined GAF-men, but could't connect to their servers, for some reason. We've also reached a membership of five, so people will have to pay or slots. I'm not sure how that will work.

It would be nice to have a larger group, though, we've only earned 14,000 points so far.

I tried to promote some of the people who just joined GAF-men, but could't connect to their servers, for some reason. We've also reached a membership of five, so people will have to pay or slots. I'm not sure how that will work.

It would be nice to have a larger group, though, we've only earned 14,000 points so far.

I will join when I go out on break (at work right now). I've been pending on GAF-vengers for a while because I didn't realize you had to buy slots--which I can't afford. I have been playing like crazy for monthes so I should be able to add to that with ease.

I am unimpressed with 3 Star Capt as a prize, I'm honestly gunning for the OBW covers but knowing my luck I'll get her leveled just in time for a nerf...

NomarTyme

I will join when I go out on break (at work right now). I've been pending on GAF-vengers for a while because I didn't realize you had to buy slots--which I can't afford. I have been playing like crazy for monthes so I should be able to add to that with ease.

I am unimpressed with 3 Star Capt as a prize, I'm honestly gunning for the OBW covers but knowing my luck I'll get her leveled just in time for a nerf...

Where did you hear that?

Where did you hear that?

I'm just speculating. She is seeing wayyyyyy too much play in PvP events to not get touched. They nerfed Thor and Wolverine (more like re-worked Thor and nerfed Wolverine) because they became staples, and OBW is now in the same territory. I see level 85 OBW's in probably 80% of my matches when I do a PvP event. I pretty much ignored the hero so when she launched I sold all my covers--my mistake--and only have 3 currently, but I'm sure I'll get some in no time at all.

NomarTyme

I'm just speculating. She is seeing wayyyyyy too much play in PvP events to not get touched. They nerfed Thor and Wolverine (more like re-worked Thor and nerfed Wolverine) because they became staples, and OBW is now in the same territory. I see level 85 OBW's in probably 80% of my matches when I do a PvP event. I pretty much ignored the hero so when she launched I sold all my covers--my mistake--and only have 3 currently, but I'm sure I'll get some in no time at all.

I doubt she'll be nerf any time soon. The devs haven't even talk about it. Spiderman and Magneto still haven't been nerf after all that fun balancing talk.

zulux21

They still have some characters on their last list of characters to nerf/buff.... and characters like magneto and spiderman have to be higher up on the nerf list than OBW (if she is even on it)

she gets a lot of play, but she isn't really broken (heck her AP costs already fit in where they are going with the game) I still argue she doesn't need a nerf so much as we need some alternatives for her for the role she fills. We need a few more healers in the game for starters, as well as more characters that use purple/black/blue that aren't villains with mostly passives :/ (black panther/psylocke was a start in that direction but we still need a few more healers, especially a 1 star healer... really they need to stop releasing 3 stars for a few months and start releasing more 1 stars... there really isn't any reason why there should be less 1 star characters out there than 3 star characters... you are the most likely to get tokens that give 1 stars there should be the most of those :/)

I doubt she'll be nerf any time soon. The devs haven't even talk about it. Spiderman and Magneto still haven't been nerf after all that fun balancing talk.

Probably true, Spider-Man's stun needs to be completely reworked considering it's stupid good at this point. Spider-Man is at least saved by the fact that he is absurdly hard to come by. I haven't gotten a Cover for him in weeks if not months...

They still have some characters on their last list of characters to nerf/buff.... and characters like magneto and spiderman have to be higher up on the nerf list than OBW (if she is even on it)

she gets a lot of play, but she isn't really broken (heck her AP costs already fit in where they are going with the game) I still argue she doesn't need a nerf so much as we need some alternatives for her for the role she fills. We need a few more healers in the game for starters, as well as more characters that use purple/black/blue that aren't villains with mostly passives :/ (black panther/psylocke was a start in that direction but we still need a few more healers, especially a 1 star healer... really they need to stop releasing 3 stars for a few months and start releasing more 1 stars... there really isn't any reason why there should be less 1 star characters out there than 3 star characters... you are the most likely to get tokens that give 1 stars there should be the most of those :/)

I agree. The fact that 2 and 3 star heroes are really the most commonly seen characters is a bit silly. I really wish they would lower the cost on leveling 1 Star heroes as well. It's prohibitively high--costs ~440 ISO to level a Modern Storm from 24-25, that's kind of insane.

Willing to join if you open a slot. I will get the next slot. let me knw.

Also tried to join GAF-Men but that next one is expensive so I left.

Sadist

Speaking of Spider-Man, I just got a yellow cover from a one star token, sweet. So I've got a original Spider-Man with three Yellow, Blue and Purple powers. If I get some more iso8, he'll be my strongest character at level 89.

NomarTyme

Speaking of Spider-Man, I just got a yellow cover from a one star token, sweet. So I've got a original Spider-Man with three Yellow, Blue and Purple powers. If I get some more iso8, he'll be my strongest character at level 89.

I wouldn't level Spidey up if you don't have 5 blue covers. Spend it on somebody that has the complete covers. Who knows when you'll get another Spidey cover? I mean I haven't got one in over 2 month(I did get purple covers but I already max out my purple).

Gotchaye

I don't think it's her heal. That puts her way over the top, but her healing isn't terribly useful mid-match; it's just about keeping your characters around for a bunch of matches in a sitting. So it doesn't really contribute to her being too good - if everything else about her were nerfed into the ground you would never see her in PvP but people would be trolling Prologue missions with her every few matches.

Like you say, she has excellent colors, especially at the 2* level. The solution is obviously more characters with similar colors.

But the real problem is that she's a support character, even ignoring the healing entirely, in a game with very few support characters. A team with 3 damage-dealing tanks is annoying to work through when it's defending, but it also takes it forever to get going in a match (post- Rag nerf) and a few lucky matches by the other team will have the tanks taking a bunch of damage. It's really, really valuable to have characters that can get you started faster or which can delay the enemy, and OBW is one of really only two characters that can do this right from the start of the match (The Hood is the other). Two purple matches are often sufficient to drain almost all of the enemy's AP and add it to your own.

I think she's probably a bit too good relative to The Hood, but that's mostly an issue with him (and how he also doesn't need levels to be effective such that his tile damage can be kept low enough to not compete with her). Actually-compelling 3* blue/purple/black characters would make her a lot less common, since her passive requires her to be in front for those colors. But right now those colors are pretty lacking, especially purple (which is the most important since her passive on that one feeds her other AP steal). Hulk, Panther, and Punisher have black damage and like to be at high levels, but except for Panther's blue that's the only color they share. Spider-Man doesn't need to out-damage OBW on blue and purple to have a place on a team. Magneto comes really close, since unless you're relying on Patch he needs to be at a high level to one-shot things with his purple, but then it turns out that he doesn't actually do purple tile damage. Loki and Doom would probably compete with her very effectively if they actually had three powers (and Doom's was purple).

Now, she does seem to clearly be better than most other 2* characters, in something like the way Modern Storm relates to the other 1* characters. Here the same problems are even more pronounced and she's not handicapped by much lower HP than the characters she's being compared to. Marvel Now Magneto and Moonstone (and Bag-Man) are the only characters who even have active purples. Classic Storm doesn't meaningfully compete except for blue AP, and the only other decent supports are Daken and Bullseye, who don't compete for AP and who can't take tile priority from OBW at max level.

I don't agree that more 1* characters would be good for the game. No one wants 1* characters. Most people pick 3 of them early on, mostly based on who the prologue gives them, and ignore the rest. And that's the smart thing to do - there's no reason to blow ISO on characters that are going to be easily out-classed by 2*s, which are not that difficult to get, except to the extent that you need to spend that ISO in order to get the 2* characters in the first place.

I don't think it's her heal. That puts her way over the top, but her healing isn't terribly useful mid-match; it's just about keeping your characters around for a bunch of matches in a sitting. So it doesn't really contribute to her being too good - if everything else about her were nerfed into the ground you would never see her in PvP but people would be trolling Prologue missions with her every few matches. Like you say, she has excellent colors, especially at the 2* level. The solution is obviously more characters with similar colors.

Yes I'm starting to realize this. There are so many Red/Green heroes that I am constantly fighting for that AP, and almost get screwed if I can't get it. C Storm kind of relieves that by having a useful Blue, same with Modern Hawkeye, but there is literally nobody I can get my hands on who has Purple as a useful/beneficial color. She is far and away the best 2* hero given her toolset, color usage, and availability.

But the real problem is that she's a support character, even ignoring the healing entirely, in a game with very few support characters. A team with 3 damage-dealing tanks is annoying to work through when it's defending, but it also takes it forever to get going in a match (post- Rag nerf) and a few lucky matches by the other team will have the tanks taking a bunch of damage.

+1 for more support characters. Or at least some that aren't OBW or insanely hard to get ahold of. Spidey is a solid support hero but in the monthes I've played I still only have enough covers to get him to around the mid 40's.

I think she's probably a bit too good relative to The Hood, but that's mostly an issue with him (and how he also doesn't need levels to be effective such that his tile damage can be kept low enough to not compete with her). Actually-compelling 3* blue/purple/black characters would make her a lot less common, since her passive requires her to be in front for those colors. But right now those colors are pretty lacking, especially purple (which is the most important since her passive on that one feeds her other AP steal).

I am glad The Hood is a featured hero, and happy I sunk some levels into him, but he's fairly underwhelming even with the boost. I love the idea of Twin Pistols, but throwing him out front so much usually drops him before I can get it off, I'd imagine with 10 more levels this would help, but he doesn't have Avoid like Hawkeye or a Heal like OBW, which just kind of leaves him vulnerable to quite the beatdown. He needs someone to gather AP for him and just sit back and maybe use Twin Pistols to clear some space and gather some AP, but at that point whomever is gathering it usually has a more useful skill to take advantage of said AP (Thor, Panther, and Spiderman come to mind). Intimidate works nicely with Hawkeye for a good 1-2 punch (shaving that extra turn off can sometimes make a world of difference).

A 3* blue/purple/black would be amazing.

Loki and Doom would probably compete with her very effectively if they actually had three powers (and Doom's was purple).

It really annoys me that they don't have a third ability. I ended up dumping Loki to make room for other characters because his Purple was his only useful ability, but even powered up it did nothing but serve as an annoyance and possible trump card.

Now, she does seem to clearly be better than most other 2* characters, in something like the way Modern Storm relates to the other 1* characters. Here the same problems are even more pronounced and she's not handicapped by much lower HP than the characters she's being compared to. Marvel Now Magneto and Moonstone (and Bag-Man) are the only characters who even have active purples. Classic Storm doesn't meaningfully compete except for blue AP, and the only other decent supports are Daken and Bullseye, who don't compete for AP and who can't take tile priority from OBW at max level.

I like how Bag-Man barely makes the cut since he's so god awful. But yes, more support characters and active purples would help tremendously.

I don't agree that more 1* characters would be good for the game. No one wants 1* characters. Most people pick 3 of them early on, mostly based on who the prologue gives them, and ignore the rest. And that's the smart thing to do - there's no reason to blow ISO on characters that are going to be easily out-classed by 2*s, which are not that difficult to get, except to the extent that you need to spend that ISO in order to get the 2* characters in the first place.

The major problem with 1 star characters is that they max out at 50, and it costs a metric fuckton of ISO to get them even that far. If I had known when I first started monthes ago that I would have tossed Ironman right out the second I got Thor, I wouldn't have even bothered maxing him out--although I maintain he is probably the best behind Modern Storm. I almost wish they would just lower the cost on their levels so there was at least some incentive to leveling them outside of the prologue, as it stands I want a Modern Storm at 50 but it's almost prohibitively expensive, and I already have an 85 C Storm.

If they fundamentally changed levels and such 1* wouldn't be so crappy. If they gave them a higher level cap, decreased the cost of their levels, and slowed down how much they scaled but gave them a higher ceiling, they could make them a little more useful. The problem there is that they could easily outclass most 2* heroes. Modern Storm with a higher level cap and slightly higher sustainability would be better than most 2* heroes, which obviously is not the intention.

EDIT: Thanks for adding me as a Commander btw, bought the next slot (2000HP one) and did a few Simulator rounds. GAF-vengers is making their way up there in the ranks.

zulux21

yay I am worth more than 1/19 of our hard ranking points :p
I'm not a slacker lol.

I figure I will end around 30k most likely (I will be taking a top 50 from both events)

NomarTyme

Oh that was exciting. I wonder if I held on to #1 in hard mode and Top five in no holds bar.

Woot got top 5 in no holds bar and #1 on hard mode !

lmao got 3 bullseye in a row..... *sobs*

Gotchaye

I'm at 54k. I probably won't be doing that for the next round or two though with the D3 expansion coming out.

There's also another Lone Star Skirmish. Hood rewards, yellow is the alliance reward. That's something else I probably won't be pushing hard for; the blue IW would be nice but my Hood was maxed a long time ago.

sibarraz

Banned
All right, I won 3 packs in both events. I got a regular wolverine, modern hawkeye and a wolverine x force.

I think that I had a positive balance, I wish that the special characters in the next th events are x force and invisible woman since I got both in this events

NomarTyme

I'm at 54k. I probably won't be doing that for the next round or two though with the D3 expansion coming out.

There's also another Lone Star Skirmish. Hood rewards, yellow is the alliance reward. That's something else I probably won't be pushing hard for; the blue IW would be nice but my Hood was maxed a long time ago.

Sorry guys! my one star is shit so I won't be contributing.

zulux21

Thanks! how did you guys fair?
top 50 in easy, top 10 in hard, and what ever 50 points in no holds bar got me lol

im at 52.1 k I will likely get around that in the next event too.
as for the lone star.... I could work on it a bit but my lone star team sucks (level 50 storm, level 11 widow, level 10 venom)
I suppose I could put some iso into them but it would be a case if it would matter alliance wise.

NomarTyme

top 50 in easy, top 10 in hard, and what ever 50 points in no holds bar got me lol

im at 52.1 k I will likely get around that in the next event too.
as for the lone star.... I could work on it a bit but my lone star team sucks (level 50 storm, level 11 widow, level 10 venom)
I suppose I could put some iso into them but it would be a case if it would matter alliance wise.

best of luck in getting lazy thor!

zulux21

best of luck in getting lazy thor!

Lazy thor really doesn't due much for me, I have two covers for required events, but I am more than happy just sticking with my level 85 thor then playing for hours and hours to get some new covers and try to claw myself into a character to give myself the ability to pour all of my iso into a character for 60 extra levels and very little actual difference for what I use thor for... the extra damage wouldn't be bad, but it's only going to make my matches go 10% faster or so.

NomarTyme

Lazy thor really doesn't due much for me, I have two covers for required events, but I am more than happy just sticking with my level 85 thor then playing for hours and hours to get some new covers and try to claw myself into a character to give myself the ability to pour all of my iso into a character for 60 extra levels and very little actual difference for what I use thor for... the extra damage wouldn't be bad, but it's only going to make my matches go 10% faster or so.

Sensible.

oh man the freaking new enemy nodes are freaking tough.

Top Bottom