• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

zulux21

Took a break from D3 to burn through some health packs and get my score up to 92k. Hopefully that helps.

The new tournament's prizes are also useless to me. Patch is fantastic, though, for those who don't have him.

This is the first time I know of that I am actually beating you (I have 96k lol)
the new tournament prizes are mostly useless to me as well, I need the alliance reward (as I need more yellow patch covers) but i already have 5 red and 5 green covers (I am likely going to go 5/3/5 on patch... the red move is nice but i really like dropping the bomb of 6 strike tiles lol)

Hmm. I wound up kinda bombing that last set of subs. Top 50 finishes, 99 overall. Crap pulls (those Bullseyes just keep coming) for my two gold tokens.

Looks like Black Panther is the big payout character for the new missions. My BP isn't great, but at least I have two covers on him instead of the 1 I have on Doom and Psylocke for the last two subs.

Also, cool, I'll take some Patch covers! My Patch is 5 yellow, but only 2 red and 0 green, so this will be a good chance to fix him up hopefully.

This is the first time I know of that I am actually beating you (I have 96k lol)
the new tournament prizes are mostly useless to me as well, I need the alliance reward (as I need more yellow patch covers) but i already have 5 red and 5 green covers (I am likely going to go 5/3/5 on patch... the red move is nice but i really like dropping the bomb of 6 strike tiles lol)

98.7k!

I'm actually finding it pretty easy to keep up with fewer matches thanks to rubber banding point totals. And since they made one of the prizes totally useless last round I wasn't as compelled to drain them all.

zulux21

98.7k!

I'm actually finding it pretty easy to keep up with fewer matches thanks to rubber banding point totals. And since they made one of the prizes totally useless last round I wasn't as compelled to drain them all.

I'd likely be there is i wasn't grinding slowly in the one star tourney to aid that (a yellow hood would be nice :p) didn't end up to bad I ended with 325 points with a level 50 storm, 30 widow and 35 venom lol.

animus82

Banned
Nice work everyone in the Lone Star Tourney.

Now, about that Thor tourney. Those Patch covers are looking mighty nice you guys.

I'm going all out to secure some of those for our team. Patch is like one of the top 3 Stars in the game.

zulux21

Nice work everyone in the Lone Star Tourney.

Now, about that Thor tourney. Those Patch covers are looking mighty nice you guys.

I'm going all out to secure some of those for our team. Patch is like one of the top 3 Stars in the game.

he is fun to use.... though hurts so bad when you accidentally trigger something because of the damn character switch when a passive activates @_@

Sadist

Oh poo, you need a Black Panther for the next two days. Means I can't those rewards. Which is a bummer, because I got to 100k in the first four days.

Guess I'll focus on the Lords of Thunder tournament and try to get in the Top 50 for a Patch.

Damn, I wish I'd draw a Spidey, and/or a classic Mags. Those are like the two biggest holes in my overall roster. I'd even be willing to drop some HP on Spidey if I could unlock him to begin with.

Oh PS Zulux, I started using Modern Storm more than CStorm, you're right. It's a bummer because I do miss that blue attack/stun but man the whole Thor battery system starts so much sooner. Especially if it's MStorm/Thor/OBW.

Spoit

Damn, I wish I'd draw a Spidey, and/or a classic Mags. Those are like the two biggest holes in my overall roster. I'd even be willing to drop some HP on Spidey if I could unlock him to begin with.

Oh PS Zulux, I started using Modern Storm more than CStorm, you're right. It's a bummer because I do miss that blue attack/stun but man the whole Thor battery system starts so much sooner. Especially if it's MStorm/Thor/OBW.

If you have other villains, you can try the lighting rounds for a c. mag

zulux21

yeah I really enjoy 2 star storms blue as well, but this also frees up blue for OBW so you can almost always end at full HP.

I would be interested in retesting stuff if 2 star storms green worked like I thought it would when I bought the last covers... where it would be 6+the green AP you have, instead of just the green AP you have (it would instantly make the ratio of tiles destroyed vs ap cost better for 2 star instead of usually better for 1 star) even then 1 star would likely still be a little more consistent (thanks to her awesome clear the useless tiles move which allow her strikes to mostly give you AP instead of just event, or on the oasis and jungle, FUEL MY BATTERY LIKE A MOFO move in the oasis she can just about fuel herself with her red and green moves lol.)

In general I wish they would tweak the event actions. as much as I love thorned rose (as +5 ap to all for 100 hp is amazing) I would rather the events scale towards your party... where the rose would be something like all of your party members take 5% of their max HP as damage... which would likely be a lot more painful. At the same time I would change stuff like hot dog stand to party recovers 5-10% hp instead of 50hp as it's so freaken meaningless at higher levels. or the stage that places strike tiles have their damage be based upon all of the players characters and enemy characts levels averaged... as 3 strike tiles at 3 damage each is so pointless past level 10 that even using it and dealing with the time it takes to place them feels like a waste... but perhaps if when facing level 230s on that map they were suddenly 125 damage strike tiles... maybe the event stuff should matter. the worst part about that map is even the high level on is crummy. it does a whole 200 damage :/

animus82

Banned
Those of you who can't get much done this round because you don't have Black P or the other 3 stars should focus your efforts on the Thor tourney. That's what I'm doing. The top 50 alliances get a yellow Patch and I think we can easily do that.

zulux21

Those of you who can't get much done this round because you don't have Black P or the other 3 stars should focus your efforts on the Thor tourney. That's what I'm doing. The top 50 alliances get a yellow Patch and I think we can easily do that.

I will work on all of them... I have a panther from the first alliance event so that's totally doable... and that yellow patch would sure make
7KzyG.jpg
look nice >.>

Sadist

That's what I'm going to do.

All I need now is a good combo. Don't have a three star Thor, but wondering which team would be the best. My strongest characters are Spider-Man (lvl 89), Wolverine (lvl 85), Cap (lvl 76) and Bullseye (69).

Btw, I had 800 coins so I opened two more slots in my own deck and gave the the old recruit hero for 100 coins a spin. Got another Invisible Woman out of it, lol. The free two star coin gave one yesterday and now the 100 coin one gave me one as well. Talk about dumb luck.

zulux21

So is 535 the best Patch probably? Or 445 maybe?
the only real set thing with patch would be the 5 yellow... I could see arguments for 5/3, 4/4 or 3/5

5/3 because the 6 strike tiles in one action is bitching and usually can result in you quickly ending the other team

4/4 because 4 strike tiles can usually get the job done, and the extra damage with the red move is nice

and 3/5 because 3 strike tiles is less dangerous and the red move is really dangerous then and leaves nicer strike tiles behind.

my plan is 5/3/5 but that is because I enjoy stalling out a match with 2 star widow and then just dropping a bomb to end the match (usually involving 2 green strikes, a red strike, and 2-3 moltove cocktails from punisher, or some yellow move from thor, or red event tile sucking from 1 star storm, or a blue move from 2 star storm... yeah I don't have a set 3 person team involving patch... patch + widow + someone else tends to work great so it's the team I use when required to use some random third person lol)

That's what I'm going to do.

All I need now is a good combo. Don't have a three star Thor, but wondering which team would be the best. My strongest characters are Spider-Man (lvl 89), Wolverine (lvl 85), Cap (lvl 76) and Bullseye (69).

Btw, I had 800 coins so I opened two more slots in my own deck and gave the the old recruit hero for 100 coins a spin. Got another Invisible Woman out of it, lol. The free two star coin gave one yesterday and now the 100 coin one gave me one as well. Talk about dumb luck.

to help with a combo we would need to know your full team with what rosters they have :p

animus82

Banned

No, no, no.

Zulu is that your build? I hope not.

The best build is a 5/3/5. Patch's attacks make the enemy hit you hard as well so you must have 5 in healing so that no matter what you are healing. Also, no matter what, as long at patch isn't dead you can heal him to full using a prologue match.

Red is ok but it takes up too much AP and you can use his green with only 3 matches.

Trust me, his inconsistent healing really hurts you. At first its you have to have a lot of yellow to heal, then its you have to have below 4 yellows to heal. Might as well put in 5 and take the guess work out.

zulux21

No, no, no.

Zulu is that your build? I hope not.

The best build is a 5/3/5. Patch's attacks make the enemy hit you hard as well so you must have 5 in healing so that no matter what you are healing. Also, no matter what, as long at patch isn't dead you can heal him to full using a prologue match.

Red is ok but it takes up too much AP and you can use his green with only 3 matches.

Trust me, his inconsistent healing really hurts you. At first its you have to have a lot of yellow to heal, then its you have to have below 4 yellows to heal. Might as well put in 5 and take the guess work out.
it indeed is my current build, but as I said before it won't be my final build. I refuse to spend 1250 HP on a single cover (let alone 3750 on the 3 i am missing) so am just making do until I get the ones I am missing...

it's not like I am in a big hurry to get better. I can already deal with most level 230 teams and can finish decently high in any given pvp if I care enough to try lol.

and while I want full healing on patch.... I tend to just take a little extra time on matches with him and end the team the turn I use the green move instead of racking up a lot of damage.

P.much every build is viable for Patch depending on your playstyle and team composition. He has 3 good skills. Imo yellow>green>red, but it's really close.

Sadist

Oh right, of course;

Spider-Man Classis 3/3/3
Thor Marvel NOW! 5/3/5
Wolverine Astonishing 3/5/5
Captain America 4/3/5
Bullseye 5/5
Hulk 3/1/1
Doctor Doom 2/2
Invisible Woman 1/2
Psylocke 1/2/1
Punisher 1/2/1
Wolverine Patch 1/1/2
Iron Man 1/0/2

zulux21

some update info
Alliances
- The timer for rejoining an Alliance after being kicked was changed from 168 hours to 1 hour
Misc
- Black Panther (Man Without Fear), Psylocke (Classic), and Thor (Modern) have been added to Standard and Heroic Comic Packs.

aka if you don't have a BP for the event you can totally pour all of your iso into standard tokens and hope you get lucky :p

NomarTyme

I don't need patch but I'll help out the alliance for at least 400-500 pts. Hopefully.

I can't play the lightning rounds since my teams are not that good without big boosts
Got to play early(like the minute it starts) in order to fight against tank teams. I usually make good isos because people are tanking their MMR.

some update info

aka if you don't have a BP for the event you can totally pour all of your iso into standard tokens and hope you get lucky :p
Ugh I hate the fact that Hero points is added to the standard token. I pulled two 25 HP instead of getting a *** character.

I have him at 3/5/5 and I don't regret it.

shaowebb

No random uber covers this time but I'm fine. I'm just laughing away and power leveling my Ares. He was like...20s maybe when this started? Now he's level 61 before the red iso. With hes like 99 or something with 6k health and one shotting Hulk for fun. I'm pairing him with Thor to battery and Black Panther to cover us on Black and Blue for armor and MORE damage. Team Black Gods.

Gotchaye

I didn't even enter the lone star tournament and got prizes anyway. Thanks y'all.

I'm a little tempted by the Modern Thor add. I have 100 or so recruit tokens and maybe 25 heroics sitting around. Meh. It's not like I'd use him anyway.

I have him at 3/5/5 and I don't regret it.
I think that 3/5/5 Patch is a respectable character who compares well with similar 3*s, although probably Modern Thor is better. But as long as Spider-Man and Classic Magneto work the way they currently do, 5 in green is going to do much, much more damage with no drawback, provided you also have one of those two. Or just OBW, although that's a little more dangerous.

NomarTyme

I didn't even enter the lone star tournament and got prizes anyway. Thanks y'all.

I'm a little tempted by the Modern Thor add. I have 100 or so recruit tokens and maybe 25 heroics sitting around. Meh. It's not like I'd use him anyway.

I think that 3/5/5 Patch is a respectable character who compares well with similar 3*s, although probably Modern Thor is better. But as long as Spider-Man and Classic Magneto work the way they currently do, 5 in green is going to do much, much more damage with no drawback, provided you also have one of those two. Or just OBW, although that's a little more dangerous.

Yes I agree with ya there. My Spiderman its only 3 blue, but my Mags have 5 blue. I usually just go with Pun/Patch combo because I have Punisher at 3/5/5. I use Punisher green a lot more.

zulux21

heh... and here i am tempted to just use a bunch of iso on standards because my main characters are all fully leveled :p

shaowebb

God when all this is over my Storm/Thor team is gonna be sooooooooo much better with Ares. Daken is nice, but oh man the option to one shot in between battery moments and his ability to soak up damage with his color priorities is so useful.

shaowebb

That's it, I'm going to work on my Ares

Never a bad idea. Bank on his Green and find him a battery. He gets 6 green and he makes it felt...but if you have patience and fuel him up (easier with Thor Storm setup) he can one shot the fucking Hulk or Classic Storm with zero retaliation. I Thor/Storm-ed till I had 30 Green and kicked the jowly green giant in the junk.

Likely one of the heaviest solo damagers in the game if not the best.

NineH

I have 100 or so recruit tokens

When I start stockpiling tokens, I spend a few when I get close to 100 because I am worried that they will mess up my token count since when it rolls over from 99 to 100, the counter only displays 10. I know it stands for 100 but you never know and I would be sad in losing out on some iso.

shaowebb

Right now I think those that can shouldn't even bother with hard mode. Levels are nice, but you end up in tight situations where you can't really maintain all your ranks at the same time easily. I'm focusing on the Thor tourney so I can nab a bunch of patch covers, the easy mode one (first wasn't hard in it given Ares is buffed) and I'll wait till like last 5 hours if I touch the hard mode at all just to lazy tier bracket myself into decent awards at little cost.

Right now I gotta say the Thor event is well timed...if you are using Ares and leveling Ares being saddled with a Thor thats guaranteed low on covers means you can't run his best battery nerfing his gameplay of Green stomping teams. Getting more mileage out of MN Mags, C. Storm on this one than anything else. Once this is over though there will be some NASTY usage of Ares in PVP tournies.

Right now I think those that can shouldn't even bother with hard mode. Levels are nice, but you end up in tight situations where you can't really maintain all your ranks at the same time easily. I'm focusing on the Thor tourney so I can nab a bunch of patch covers, the easy mode one (first wasn't hard in it given Ares is buffed) and I'll wait till like last 5 hours if I touch the hard mode at all just to lazy tier bracket myself into decent awards at little cost.

I actually disagree. I can juuuust squeeze through an early run of all of hard mode, before the levels get too high, and I'm convinced it's what's keeping me in the 20-30 range in my main bracket. And then the three Big Time Bonus missions are there to feed me sweet sweet points.

zulux21

I actually disagree. I can juuuust squeeze through an early run of all of hard mode, before the levels get too high, and I'm convinced it's what's keeping me in the 20-30 range in my main bracket. And then the three Big Time Bonus missions are there to feed me sweet sweet points.

I just quickly do this
when the event goes live and then let it sit for a while until near the end of the event and just catch up thanks to rubber banding to a top 50 or lower :p

I just quickly do this

when the event goes live and then let it sit for a while until near the end of the event and just catch up thanks to rubber banding to a top 50 or lower :p

That doesn't put you in a tougher bracket? I joined up at like 6:30 last night for this round and am sitting way prettier in my subs than I did when I joined up at like 12:25.

zulux21

That doesn't put you in a tougher bracket? I joined up at like 6:30 last night for this round and am sitting way prettier in my subs than I did when I joined up at like 12:25.

I don't really care about the small brackets as much as I do my overall score... so a tougher bracket there just means my rubber banding lasts a little bit longer.

plus when I join right away the hard mode only goes up to level 70 or so to complete it.

I also need to stop being stupid about stuff....
I had the battle won easily... I had a ton of mana and could have kept comboing to finish off iron man... instead I just used panthers yellow and blue moves to place a bunch of tiles, hail storm, and figured I would play with iron man for a few turns, worst case I would lose my panther..... totally slipped my mind iron man's blue move hit all of my characters and as soon as I let him have a turn BOOM team wipe ><:

I don't really care about the small brackets as much as I do my overall score... so a tougher bracket there just means my rubber banding lasts a little bit longer.

plus when I join right away the hard mode only goes up to level 70 or so to complete it.

I also need to stop being stupid about stuff....
I had the battle won easily... I had a ton of mana and could have kept comboing to finish off iron man... instead I just used panthers yellow and blue moves to place a bunch of tiles, hail storm, and figured I would play with iron man for a few turns, worst case I would lose my panther..... totally slipped my mind iron man's blue move hit all of my characters and as soon as I let him have a turn BOOM team wipe ><:

I make dumb moves like that all the time in the name of conserving for a bigger attack.

zulux21

I make dumb moves like that all the time in the name of conserving for a bigger attack.

yeah it doesn't bother me when I do it that way.... it bothers me when I am toying around and should have easily won lol.

to be fair I am usually multitasking, and most of the time it happens the enemy gained 10+ of a color while I was doing something else for a single turn, but still :p

Askani

How are you all doing in your overall bracket? I was hovering somewhere in the 20's, until this last event. I've have a big gain in points and right now I'm 6th. I could take over 2nd overall if I beat four missions with their available points right now. I'm #1 in both sub brackets.

Is this just a Black Panther thing that alot of people can't get into the "high payoff" missions this round? Or their BP is so low they can get in but not win?

animus82

Banned
How are you all doing in your overall bracket? I was hovering somewhere in the 20's, until this last event. I've have a big gain in points and right now I'm 6th. I could take over 2nd overall if I beat four missions with their available points right now. I'm #1 in both sub brackets.

Is this just a Black Panther thing that alot of people can't get into the "high payoff" missions this round? Or their BP is so low they can get in but not win?

Im like 25 in my bracket for the event.

But more importantly I rep like 1/3rd of all points for the Thor tourney. Come on guys, help a fellow gaffer get a yellow Patch cover!

zulux21

i have a feeling just more people are waiting until the end of a round to get in since you do just about as well grinding the entire event from day one 24/7 as you would just grinding the last few hours of each event.

Im like 25 in my bracket for the event.

But more importantly I rep like 1/3rd of all points for the Thor tourney. Come on guys, help a fellow gaffer get a yellow Patch cover!

Ill help but I am not going to have more than 60 or so points until the last day... I see no point clawing my way to the top only to be attacked and drug back down... I prefer just going for the top in one go and shielding for 3 hours until the end of the event.

Spoit

i have a feeling just more people are waiting until the end of a round to get in since you do just about as well grinding the entire event from day one 24/7 as you would just grinding the last few hours of each event.

Ill help but I am not going to have more than 60 or so points until the last day... I see no point clawing my way to the top only to be attacked and drug back down... I prefer just going for the top in one go and shielding for 3 hours until the end of the event.

Going to grind up to 500 tonight for the HP, Need to wait for east coast people to go to sleep though

Top Bottom