• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

KuroNeeko

shaowebb, you're just gonna gun for the cover in the event and then.. never use it? Why must you treat Sentry and Iron Fist like trophy husbandos?!

As of a recent patch, you can use it after the event ends and it will still work like it would if the event was still up.

They seem to be adding a new character with every successive PvE event now; which seems to be about bi-weekly.

5000 is the count for the number of players in your bracket.

Thank you!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I like PvE so much better than PvP. Going hard in the paint for dat Sentry.

EDIT: And PvP hasn't been fun in weeks TBH.

That's really how I feel. I'm almost always a top contributor for the PvE events but drop off heavily for the PvP ones. I'm interested in Psylocke but I don't have a high level Rag (bad decision making in the past) and can't seem to make any headway in my bracket. The only event I wasn't getting royally stomped in for the past few weeks was Heavy Metal, but even that I got kinda screwed by a 51st place finish.

Spoit

That's really how I feel. I'm almost always a top contributor for the PvE events but drop off heavily for the PvP ones. I'm interested in Psylocke but I don't have a high level Rag (bad decision making in the past) and can't seem to make any headway in my bracket. The only event I wasn't getting royally stomped in for the past few weeks was Heavy Metal, but even that I got kinda screwed by a 51st place finish.

Nah, leveling ragman is the bad idea. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

I just dread to look at my scaling this event, I was hitting the low 300s last time

KuroNeeko

So if I read this right, should you just choose not to participate in PvE events you're not interested in so you can get placed in a weaker bracket for future events?

Are PvE and PvP brackets handled separately?

So if I read this right, should you just choose not to participate in PvE events you're not interested in so you can get placed in a weaker bracket for future events?

Are PvE and PvP brackets handled separately?

The alternative from what I've heard is to forfeit a bunch of matches--I usually make a few moves then retreat--then wait for it to recalibrate your MMR. Not sure exactly how effective it is but I've heard a ton of people talk about it, maybe someone can shed some light on the concept.

I used to really hate PVP but now that I've started focusing on building up just a few characters I can actually play every match available and stand at least an 80% chance of winning.

It's much more enjoyable to me now.

I used to really hate PVP but now that I've started focusing on building up just a few characters I can actually play every match available and stand at least an 80% chance of winning.

It's much more enjoyable to me now.

I still hate it because I get no variety. Endless waves of me using my same team against the same 3 teams. Especially if I use the "bottom right is always desert" exploit.

shaowebb

joined GAF-kanda to help out...says they aren't yet ranked on the Sentry PVE. If I'm the only one playing who else here has a currently competing team that would like over 11000 points?

I'm serious...I am going to get Sentry.

Dispatch

Is there a GAF alliance?

There are actually three:
Gaf-vengers
Gaf kanda
Gaf-men

Gaf-vengers is the most active and scores the most in events.
Gaf kanda is not too far behind.
Gaf-men has five members (only four of which are active, unfortunately)

Gaf-men is the forgotten alliance, for sure.

zulux21

joined GAF-kanda to help out...says they aren't yet ranked on the Sentry PVE. If I'm the only one playing who else here has a currently competing team that would like over 11000 points?

I'm serious...I am going to get Sentry.

you had to be accepted first... you are accepted now :p

shaowebb

you had to be accepted first... you are accepted now :p

Thanks. Seems I'm within a match of having the most points in GAF-kanda...I'll be back on closer to deadline so my matches are worth more and dont over level my teams. C. Storm/Magneto with Ares works better than any other team due to the full spectrum coverage, being coupled with stuns and full team strikes from Storm. Both Ares and Mags can swing hard and Mags strips the board with his purple power quickly. With so many tile placers from the Maggia it just works out easier than trying to brute force it slowly with expensive Thor stuff or with Daken trying to make you hit hard enough to drop em.

Just stun and gun and enjoy the fun. Very little damage taken for your efforts before you win.

Thanks. Seems I'm within a match of having the most points in GAF-kanda...I'll be back on closer to deadline so my matches are worth more and dont over level my teams. C. Storm/Magneto with Ares works better than any other team due to the full spectrum coverage, being coupled with stuns and full team strikes from Storm. Both Ares and Mags can swing hard and Mags strips the board with his purple power quickly. With so many tile placers from the Maggia it just works out easier than trying to brute force it slowly with expensive Thor stuff or with Daken trying to make you hit hard enough to drop em.

Just stun and gun and enjoy the fun. Very little damage taken for your efforts before you win.

I've been doing Lazy Daken\OBW\Ares with pretty good success. Might have to try C Storm\Mag because as you said, the Maggia tile placers are brutal.

shaowebb

I've been doing Lazy Daken\OBW\Ares with pretty good success. Might have to try C Storm\Mag because as you said, the Maggia tile placers are brutal.

If I had lazy Daken I'd strip this bracket and be in number 1 so solidly within 10 minutes that I doubt I could be touched. I've been doing this entirely on regular matches and neither of the teamups.

If I had lazy Daken I'd strip this bracket and be in number 1 so solidly within 10 minutes that I doubt I could be touched. I've been doing this entirely on regular matches and neither of the teamups.

I noticed to 2 Punisher fights--at least for me--have unusually high point values. I almost think D3 finally realized not having an exclusive hero pretty much ruined any chance you had an decided to make at least a handful of fights viable.

shaowebb

I noticed to 2 Punisher fights--at least for me--have unusually high point values. I almost think D3 finally realized not having an exclusive hero pretty much ruined any chance you had an decided to make at least a handful of fights viable.

Not really. To get the points I would get from the team ups in 2 fights I'd need to do over 16 fights of the normal kind and those exponentially depreciate in value across the whole list fast when you do that stuff. Plus the levels on the opponents increases stupid high too when you have to do it this way. Sucks. If I drew a lazy daken I could just call it a night.

KuroNeeko

Maggia matches are bruuuuutal. Even the easiest match can take you out if you're not careful.

I just hit the 5000 mark giving me my fourth Moonstone cover. I can she why she's kind of weak outside of the event, but I like using her;D

Going back and forth around the 50 bracket for PvP (actually exactly at 50 right now lol). Sucks that we're getting Psylocke's weakest-looking color, but I'm not complaining! ;D

There are actually three:
Gaf-vengers
Gaf kanda
Gaf-men

Gaf-vengers is the most active and scores the most in events.
Gaf kanda is not too far behind.
Gaf-men has five members (only four of which are active, unfortunately)

Gaf-men is the forgotten alliance, for sure.

Let me in! I'll join GAF-men if Kanda is too full. Vengers is probably too hardcore for me.

shaowebb

Maggia matches are bruuuuutal. Even the easiest match can take you out if you're not careful.

I just hit the 5000 mark giving me my fourth Moonstone cover. I can she why she's kind of weak outside of the event, but I like using her;D

Going back and forth around the 50 bracket for PvP (actually exactly at 50 right now lol). Sucks that we're getting Psylocke's weakest-looking color, but I'm not complaining! ;D

Let me in! I'll join GAF-men if Kanda is too full. Vengers is probably too hardcore for me.

Take out Don's first. They can down you instantly with their black if there are 5 countdown tiles (and their will be). Plus they accelerate tile placement due to their AP gain. Next is the Muscle. They put down strike tiles FAST so if a single tommy gun goes off it can instant down your whole team with the damage multiplier he yields. If a hit man is there just focus on his blue tiles that sniper drop cast. Dropping Don's first and then proceeding over to muscle with intent to stun works well for me. Plus MN mags clears a LOT of tiles doing his abilities.

C.Storm and MN. Mags...they just contain that shit well.

We would love to have you (GAF-Men). We are at 5 now but as Dispatch said one of our members, ZackieChan, hasn't been on in forever. I messaged him asking if he would bow out so someone more active could join. I never got a response back. Maybe you could shoot him a message with better luck.

KuroNeeko

Take out Don's first. They can down you instantly with their black if there are 5 countdown tiles (and their will be). Plus they accelerate tile placement due to their AP gain. Next is the Muscle. They put down strike tiles FAST so if a single tommy gun goes off it can instant down your whole team with the damage multiplier he yields. If a hit man is there just focus on his blue tiles that sniper drop cast. Dropping Don's first and then proceeding over to muscle with intent to stun works well for me. Plus MN mags clears a LOT of tiles doing his abilities.

C.Storm and MN. Mags...they just contain that shit well.

When given a choice, I usually focus on whoever is dropping Tommy Gun's, just like you said. I don't have C.Storm / MN. Mags up to the point where they can handle the fight, so I use Moonstone / M. Widow / Storm. I've never had any trouble with the black tiles, but *one* Tommy Gun will cripple me. Two will wipe out the team.

Thanks for the advice! I really want to get Mags up and running. He's still sitting at 1/0/4. (COME ON PURPLE!!!)

We would love to have you (GAF-Men). We are at 5 now but as Dispatch said one of our members, ZackieChan, hasn't been on in forever. I messaged him asking if he would bow out so someone more active could join. I never got a response back. Maybe you could shoot him a message with better luck.

Ah! I see! You're limited to 5 members? How can you upgrade the cap?

I still hate it because I get no variety. Endless waves of me using my same team against the same 3 teams. Especially if I use the "bottom right is always desert" exploit.

Is, is this real? @.@;;; Storm'ing for daaaaaays

kswiston

Woohoo! I got a blue Lazy Daken off of my 10k points token in the PVE event. That will come in handy if he is still super boosted in tomorrow's sub event.

When given a choice, I usually focus on whoever is dropping Tommy Gun's, just like you said. I don't have C.Storm / MN. Mags up to the point where they can handle the fight, so I use Moonstone / M. Widow / Storm. I've never had any trouble with the black tiles, but *one* Tommy Gun will cripple me. Two will wipe out the team.

You need a tankier team, so if you have the covers for like a Thor, Jugg, Rag, or something of that nature I recommend working on that. Storm + M. Widow are the best of the 1 star heroes (that stun) but you really need a damage dealer in that lineup--as I said Thor fits perfectly if you dump covers into his Yellow and Green and leave Red AP for Storm.

KuroNeeko

You need a tankier team, so if you have the covers for like a Thor, Jugg, Rag, or something of that nature I recommend working on that. Storm + M. Widow are the best of the 1 star heroes (that stun) but you really need a damage dealer in that lineup--as I said Thor fits perfectly if you dump covers into his Yellow and Green and leave Red AP for Storm.

I'm trying! My Thor is still 2/0/1! I'm trying to transition into Thor / C. Storm / MN Mags! ;.; Usually I have Iron Man in that role, but so hard to pass up that level 53 Moonstone...

edit: Sitting at 40th right now. How bad is the last push for these kind of events?

KuroNeeko

Holy crap. Looks like the Last Push is pretty rough. I really hate that about PvP-centric games. Really turns it into money game.

Oh well, I'm not giving up!

It really seems like 1100 is the minimum you need for top 10 these days. And getting there the day before then shielding is the only chance at it you have. I'm making my customary last minute push and getting my ass kicked.

animus82

Banned
Last minute pushing is a recipe for failure.

You gotta do what Zulu does.

get to about 1100 three hours before and use the 3 hour shield.

that way you're not wasting health packs, last minute pushing or whatever and more resources for the PVE or lighting rounds.

KuroNeeko

Ranked in at 59th.

Maybe I was trying too hard, too soon. Got to build a stable of 2★s first I guess. Last few minutes was just crazy.

Sorry, Psylocke. ;.;

Got stupid arse Bullseye instead.

Well, that's that for Season 1. No Purple Fury for us (Vengers), and we were only 17 slots away. But now S2 begins, and there's a Blue Fury award. Let's do it!

Oh, and another 10 pack in the player progressions. Hopefully this one will turn out better than the last!

Askani

Barely scraped by for top 50 in the Rags event. That was a madhouse.

Managed top 50 for my the Season bracket. It wasn't top 25 like I wanted for the double 10 pack, but at least I'm in for one.

Well, that's that for Season 1. No Purple Fury for us (Vengers), and we were only 17 slots away. But now S2 begins, and there's a Blue Fury award. Let's do it!

Oh, and another 10 pack in the player progressions. Hopefully this one will turn out better than the last!

It will. No more ME dragging us down because I am now a LAZYTHOR MACHINE.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Because of the bracket change a while ago, the gap between existing 3* players and those coming up on 2*s has been made even wider. I used to be able to get into top 50, score me a cover perhaps for my hard work, but now that is impossible. Everybody in the top ~60-70 is shielded up, and you are consistently put against 141s. Similarly, unlike 3* players, HP is much more of a luxury and I can't afford to spend it on shielding because I need it for slots (especially with the rapid rate of new character releases). As a relatively new player (lol I've still been playing for months; almost half a year), that's not really a reliable way of progressing towards a solid 3* roster anymore, and you either must rely on your alliance to place or hope you get lucky in the RNG.

Beyond scummy how the brackets have changed but the reward system has been left the same. You're more fucked than ever if you started playing later; changes just disadvantage newer players and create a 2* ghetto more and more.

animus82

Banned
Barely scraped by for top 50 in the Rags event. That was a madhouse.

Managed top 50 for my the Season bracket. It wasn't top 25 like I wanted for the double 10 pack, but at least I'm in for one.

Your lucky,

I score similar to you askani and I only got rank 250~ for the season. I participated in every PVP and hit top 100 or better in most. I'll get like three heroic tokens.

animus82

Banned
We need to start getting more top 100s you guys.

This is ridiculous.

If some of you want to play more casually, why not join Kanda or whatever?

A few of you guys only play a few matches per PVE/PVP event and by doing so wastes our efforts.

Your soaking up the alliance ISO but not putting enough work in yourselves.

The season is over so this is a good time to move on.

We need to start getting more top 100s you guys.

This is ridiculous.

If some of you want to play more casually, why not join Kanda or whatever?

A few of you guys only play a few matches per PVE/PVP event and by doing so wastes our efforts.

Your soaking up the alliance ISO but not putting enough work in yourselves.

The season is over so this is a good time to move on.

I don't know, man, I've made marked improvements in my performance and focus on just a few characters and am bringing them up to very competitive strength.

I don't think I'm the problem here. (By the way, this is the problem with making broad statements like this without diplomatically calling out individual players so they can either defend themselves or drop out.)

animus82

Banned
I'm not calling anyone out.

I'm asking for those who don't feel like/don't have the time. To transfer and open a slot.

Make me the bad guy if you want but I feel like with three gaf alliances we should have a hardcore alliance and a casual one.

If I got bored I would move to kanda.

I'm not calling anyone out.

I'm asking for those who don't feel like/don't have the time. To transfer and open a slot.

Make me the bad guy if you want but I feel like with three gaf alliances we should have a hardcore alliance and a casual one.

If I got bored I would move to kanda.

I'm not making you the bad guy, I'm calling for clarity across the board or nothing will ever change. People who might be seen as a detriment to the Alliance by a majority might think "Oh, they're not talking about me, I bet. Imma just sit back and stay quiet."

That's why I've made every effort to both improve my game and be very vocal about it.

I'm not making you the bad guy, I'm calling for clarity across the board or nothing will ever change. People who might be seen as a detriment to the Alliance by a majority might think "Oh, they're not talking about me, I bet. Imma just sit back and stay quiet."

That's why I've made every effort to both improve my game and be very vocal about it.

This. I push on most PVP events to get in the top 50 which nets the alliance decent points. There are absolutely events where I don't pull my weight though. If anybody has a problem with my activity I'd like to be named so it can be discussed.

Anilones

After the recent movement of people there was a definite increase in the immediate setting, but I agree that it very annoying when we see some people getting <100 points during an entire event, resulting in the alliance getting a top-250 award. I understand some random events which are terrible and hard, with >900 needed for any decent placement, but each individual should be aiming for top-50 in each PvP event.

EDIT:
I think it should also be mentioned that as long as the Season exists, people shouldn't be less interested in a particular event because the awards aren't too beneficial. The ultimate aim should be Fury.

turnbuckle

Man, really hate how I can go from rank 30 in a lightning round with 10 minutes to go to rank 200+ even after winning a few matches in those final minutes. I'll never get anywhere unless I open my wallet :(

cobell

After the recent movement of people there was a definite increase in the immediate setting, but I agree that it very annoying when we see some people getting <100 points during an entire event, resulting in the alliance getting a top-250 award. I understand some random events which are terrible and hard, with >900 needed for any decent placement, but each individual should be aiming for top-50 in each PvP event.

EDIT:
I think it should also be mentioned that as long as the Season exists, people shouldn't be less interested in a particular event because the awards aren't too beneficial. The ultimate aim should be Fury.

Note, for that last even I ignored that final PVP event because I was getting tons more points per match in the simulator. Due to how long the simulator was up, I was getting 40-50 points per victory in the Simulator compare to the 10-30 in the Ragnarok one. So yes I was one of the ones that largely ignored the Ragnarok event because of that.

Plus with the first PVE event ending that night, it's pretty much impossible to place high in all 3 of those as there are things other than Marvel Puzzle Quest out there.

Top Bottom