• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Going hard for Sentry, but it's hard when everything is 120+ and you have to rely on Ares recovering for 6 hours at a time. Imma get that Sentry tho

shaowebb

Going hard for Sentry, but it's hard when everything is 120+ and you have to rely on Ares recovering for 6 hours at a time. Imma get that Sentry tho

Im trying but I dont know if its doable after having to head out the other day. Im just hoping to get top 100 after that shit went down to get a cover at all...sucks. At least I'm helping GAF-kanda when I'm on though. After this...not even sure if Iron Fist should really bring me back. By the time they get to him I can only imagine how intense the rubberbanding and difficulty spiking would be to force folks to buy health/iso.

zulux21

The think the gaf avengers still have a chance at top 100 so please just get how many point you have. We still have a few people not play the last sub event yet! stilll hope! gonna need Sentry for future events guys!

a chance yes... but it's highly unlikely. With the changes to rubber banding mid event the bracket was mostly set in stone in the first half... take into account we were like 113 as the last round finished, it's a safe bet we will likely end up 113 or so after this round, as we might try harder but so will anyone else there.... your best bet is to just get sentry on your own by getting a top 100 as I wouldn't count on the alliance.

KuroNeeko

What's up with the MAYHEM meter. Does it unlock extra battles when full or something?

Battled up to the 300 pt pack reward in PvP today hoping to get a Mags, Wolvie, or Ares...MAYBE a Psylocke. Got an Invisible Woman Blue instead. Can't imagine how long that will take to build. Lol

NomarTyme

a chance yes... but it's highly unlikely. With the changes to rubber banding mid event the bracket was mostly set in stone in the first half... take into account we were like 113 as the last round finished, it's a safe bet we will likely end up 113 or so after this round, as we might try harder but so will anyone else there.... your best bet is to just get sentry on your own by getting a top 100 as I wouldn't count on the alliance.

Then I'm screwed.

Then I'm screwed.

I'm just hoping for a top 100 finish. I've been floating between 70 and 100 the entire event so I think I'm pretty good, but there's only like 2 maybe 3 fights I can do in this most recent node so it's unlikely I'll make a lot of progress past this point. This event has scaled horrendously imo.

NomarTyme

I'm just hoping for a top 100 finish. I've been floating between 70 and 100 the entire event so I think I'm pretty good, but there's only like 2 maybe 3 fights I can do in this most recent node so it's unlikely I'll make a lot of progress past this point. This event has scaled horrendously imo.

It ok for me it just that the lack of rubberbanding really fucked me.

zulux21

It ok for me it just that the lack of rubberbanding really fucked me.

i have to say turning off rubber banding mid event is a really big dick move by them.....
I'll end up with a top 50 myself, but I don't think I will make it to the lazy daken reward despite taking top 50 in nearly every event unless this last node has serious rubber banding added.

NomarTyme

i have to say turning off rubber banding mid event is a really big dick move by them.....
I'll end up with a top 50 myself, but I don't think I will make it to the lazy daken reward despite taking top 50 in nearly every event unless this last node has serious rubber banding added.
I'm rank 160th in my bracket. :(

If I don't get Sentry then I'll rage quit!... not really.

What have they changed? Is the rubber-banding what allows you to catch up in points if you haven't been playing as much later on in an event? Because disabling that is stupid, they could have toned it down a bit but disabling it entirely is borderline cruel. It would also explain why I've been about 10k points behind the 1st place person in my bracket since the last nodes spawned yet completely unable to catch up.

zulux21

What have they changed? Is the rubber-banding what allows you to catch up in points if you haven't been playing as much later on in an event? Because disabling that is stupid, they could have toned it down a bit but disabling it entirely is borderline cruel. It would also explain why I've been about 10k points behind the 1st place person in my bracket since the last nodes spawned yet completely unable to catch up.

yup the rubber banding is related to points where if you are in such and such place your nodes are worth so much more... that is how you end up with nodes being worth thousands... they seem to have turned it off completely so most people won't get the lazy daken reward as before that the average player was on pace to get it... so instead of having events that get up to 2k points and feeling like you are awesome you are instead getting nodes that start at 200-400 points and feel like a huge ass grind :/

hopefully it comes back in future events otherwise I am screwed as I am in the top tier of players, so I am always grouped with 1k people that are also top tier anymore, and thus am often in brackets where they grind like crazy.... I'd rather just join late and grind at the end to get into a top 50 instead of having to grind all the time to get my top 50.... i only have so much time for MPQ and I keep feeling more and more like it isn't worth it as they keep screwing over the top tier players as the money is in the newbies... so they need to make sure newbies feel awesome.

yup the rubber banding is related to points where if you are in such and such place your nodes are worth so much more... that is how you end up with nodes being worth thousands... they seem to have turned it off completely so most people won't get the lazy daken reward as before that the average player was on pace to get it... so instead of having events that get up to 2k points and feeling like you are awesome you are instead getting nodes that start at 200-400 points and feel like a huge ass grind :/

hopefully it comes back in future events otherwise I am screwed as I am in the top tier of players, so I am always grouped with 1k people that are also top tier anymore, and thus am often in brackets where they grind like crazy.... I'd rather just join late and grind at the end to get into a top 50 instead of having to grind all the time to get my top 50.... i only have so much time for MPQ and I keep feeling more and more like it isn't worth it as they keep screwing over the top tier players as the money is in the newbies... so they need to make sure newbies feel awesome.

That is ridiculous. I did notice I got like 20k points in the first like two days, but I figured they had just lowered the amount of points you got from nodes. Didn't really realize the catch-up mechanic had been completely disabled. How are you intended to catch people then? I'm really supposed to play 150-200 matches hoping that the first place person doesn't play a single one to get near the top? Assuming even 2 minutes a amtch we're looking at 5-7 hours. There's no way in hell I'm ever going to do that.

EDIT: The top 5 people in my bracket have sub-30 1 star characters and maybe a few 2 stars. They all have over 6000 points when I have struggled to even get 1500. Yea, this system is totally fair.

Said it before and I'll say it again, OBW is making this game extremely frustrating.

I've literally lost twice in a row to her when I have a team of 105 and 128. She can just trigger her powers way too fast and she steals from you as a passive, so in both matches I was never able to get one power filled. I'm trying to upgrade my team to something better, but I'm being anchored by her. The only way to defend against her is to have her on your team. You'd think the developers would take notice when 90% of the teams have her, even if they have maxed out 3* characters in their roster.

Askani

It's a Catch 22. As much as I hate playing against her all the time and having her since it gets boring, I like having her on my team to keep me healthy and I can play more. Since now there's really only 1 functional healer, what else can you do? I'm not spending that much money on health packs. lol

I generally stack 3 blue/purple with high level teams + OBW. What's even more frustrating is when you still lose the steal race, but it makes it more rare.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Best cure for OBW is to Ares Green her ass and just cope with the other team getting green from it. Hell, Sunder her if you gotta. She doesn't steal Green or Yellow so take your best shot ASAP.

Best cure for OBW is to Ares Green her ass and just cope with the other team getting green from it. Hell, Sunder her if you gotta. She doesn't steal Green or Yellow so take your best shot ASAP.

But then I'm still sticking with a level 85 character instead of using one of my powerful 3*s I've been building up.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
But then I'm still sticking with a level 85 character instead of using one of my powerful 3*s I've been building up.

I understand. But I gotta roll OBW/Ares/? because I got that one-shot capability and OBW keeps people healthy. I can't turn my back on a great utility.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
OBW desperately needs a nerf. They're too busy wasting weeks on nerfing characters that are broke at higher levels of play while OBW actively ruins competitive play at high, medium and low skill/progression levels.

I lost my hitters halfway through a match and was able to take out an IM40 and Grey Black Widow team using just OBW. The character is self-sufficient and had all of the tools necessary control the entire playing field regardless of what character you are up against. With none of the drawbacks, except low health. It's like giving Akuma low health in Street Fighter games as a form of balance. What does it matter if Akuma has all of the tools necessary to beat your face in anyways? This is made even worse in MPQ because of the decreased value of skill.

I am going to echo what others have said, OBW doesn't necessarily need a nerf but there needs to be more support heroes like her.

Unrelated but rubber banding seems to be reimplemented.

shaowebb

I..I am so fucked this event. 3 companies are pulling me for interviews now. I've started a fucking bidding war. Theres no way I'll get regular play...is there any way to link my account to mobile somehow yet?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I got bodied by Defend The Sentry IV this morning, waiting to recover. This is the hardest PvE in a while, and this time I actually have all of the required (well, Laken) characters too.

Are we pushing for the PvP too?

zulux21

CMon, GAF-Vengers, let's get in Thunderbolt Mountain and grind every node down to 1! We can hit top 100!

I got bodied by Defend The Sentry IV this morning, waiting to recover. This is the hardest PvE in a while, and this time I actually have all of the required (well, Laken) characters too.

Are we pushing for the PvP too?

I'm just gonna continue playing how ever I feel like and ideally it will be good enough that you won't want me out of the alliance :p

animus82

Banned
Daaamnn son.

Did you guys beat that Wolverine/Solidier?/Falcon fight?

That thing was brutal.

I had OBW on the team and it took FOREVER to beat it.

I was using Hulks Smash and what not an doing 1 Damage.

This PVE is one of the best they have done and I think it because they have such a big roster of charcters.

Also, (even though we can still use our heroes) we are fighting the Avengers/Xmen mostly.

nice to not have to fight Ares/Moonstone every time or Venom.

zulux21

This PVE is one of the best they have done and I think it because they have such a big roster of charcters.

personally I find this one to be the forth worst one they have done (only beat out by the threethat were completely unplayable due to horrible scaling or limited rosters.)

I have a number of issues with this PVE (and not even including the absolutely horrible story/writing with it) the biggest one of course is the removal of rubber banding for the middle part of the event making days 4-7 almost completely meaningless and a huge grind. The design of the last node is completely stupid... so.. after I take out the level 140 enemies who do I see next? level 40 enemy in a later named mission.... what in the world o_O;

NomarTyme

personally I find this one to be the forth worst one they have done (only beat out by the threethat were completely unplayable due to horrible scaling or limited rosters.)

I have a number of issues with this PVE (and not even including the absolutely horrible story/writing with it) the biggest one of course is the removal of rubber banding for the middle part of the event making days 4-7 almost completely meaningless and a huge grind. The design of the last node is completely stupid... so.. after I take out the level 140 enemies who do I see next? level 40 enemy in a later named mission.... what in the world o_O;

At least we know how the PVE operates now... oh wait they change every fucking event. lol. Oh well

zulux21

At least we know how the PVE operates now... oh wait they change every fucking event. lol. Oh well

yup... they can't even decide if the subevents will have alliance rewards most of the time :/

here's hoping they don't do another stupid limited roster one though... they are just horrible regardless of the roster... the way more logical way to do it is strengthen the enemies and boost the roster that you would make the limited roster, but still allow others to play what they want... but alas this is the same company that raised the level cap in pve to 395 to deal with spiderman prenerf, and won't lower it now that they nerfed him.

This is probably one of the worst events in recent memory imo. My reasoning being that while it has an open roster, the heroes that are boosted are largely all considered crappier heroes. Moonstone, Daken, Lazy Daken, Bullseye, Rag--all heroes that you probably will never use outside of events. Ares is really the only one that holds any weight outside of this event, and even he's not that amazing.

My issue is that the scaling is completely screwed, and removing rubber banding then reimplementing it meant the middle 3-4 days were completely irrelevant. I gained maybe a total of 6000 points over that span, after getting like 27000 in the first 2 days, and 4000 today.

Idealy they would have an event where you fight half the nodes against Dark Avengers and half the nodes again regular Avengers for a nice split, or an event where the boosted heroes are changed every node. They have done the latter in the past but seem to favour boosting unused characters and recently released ones nowadays to try and encourage people to spend money and get the new characters. The absolute worst event was the Human Torch-featured one, I think the only heroes you could use were like HT, OBW, Black Panther, and Cap. It was absolutely the worst thing I've ever suffered through.

Also, (even though we can still use our heroes) we are fighting the Avengers/Xmen mostly.

nice to not have to fight Ares/Moonstone every time or Venom.

That I will agree on. I think they need to release more Dark Avengers and more importantly change the way most of them work to make them more interesting. Venom is boring, Bullseye is garbage and annoying, Moonstone is mediocre, Rag was overnerfed and now annoying, Ares is legit. There are still like 5-6 Dark Avengers they could add and different variations of them.

zulux21

This is probably one of the worst events in recent memory imo. My reasoning being that while it has an open roster, the heroes that are boosted are largely all considered crappier heroes. Moonstone, Daken, Lazy Daken, Bullseye, Rag--all heroes that you probably will never use outside of events. Ares is really the only one that holds any weight outside of this event, and even he's not that amazing.
I have to disagree with the idea that you won't use lazy daken when he isn't boosted.... getting 100+ bonus damage each time you match green is really mean (level 141 max cover purple)... add to that crazy hp regen as long as you leave blue on the board (7% as long as there is 7 or more blue on the board), and a meh third move to let him have stats at level 141 and he is a rather solid character.

kswiston

My team is sort of one trick, but I use classic storm and MN magneto with 3+ purple/blue boost in PVP. If I don't get screwed over with OBW getting a ton of purple matches, I can usually dispatch her before she gets more than 4-5 turns. Usually the player pairs OBW with either Thor/Wolverine, both of whom are pretty easy to take out if you starve them of green/red and keep them frozen with Storm's move.

Boosted Ares is amazingly good. Mine is only 55 (so boosted to 95), but that 235 per green attack really helps with all of these level 110-140 battles in PVE.

Spoit

My issue is that the scaling is completely screwed, and removing rubber banding then reimplementing it meant the middle 3-4 days were completely irrelevant. I gained maybe a total of 6000 points over that span, after getting like 27000 in the first 2 days, and 4000 today.

Idealy they would have an event where you fight half the nodes against Dark Avengers and half the nodes again regular Avengers for a nice split, or an event where the boosted heroes are changed every node. They have done the latter in the past but seem to favour boosting unused characters and recently released ones nowadays to try and encourage people to spend money and get the new characters. The absolute worst event was the Human Torch-featured one, I think the only heroes you could use were like HT, OBW, Black Panther, and Cap. It was absolutely the worst thing I've ever suffered through.

That I will agree on. I think they need to release more Dark Avengers and more importantly change the way most of them work to make them more interesting. Venom is boring, Bullseye is garbage and annoying, Moonstone is mediocre, Rag was overnerfed and now annoying, Ares is legit. There are still like 5-6 Dark Avengers they could add and different variations of them.
The middle ones weren't irrelevant though. They had the same amount of points per clear as this one, it's just that they were spread out between 2 of them. I had about 19k after the first refresh, and 38k going into this last one, which means each pair was worth about 10k each?

They're adding new DAs! THat's the whole point of this event, sentry is the new DA! And so is laken

Triz

This will be the first event I haven't got the new character from. My dog died the first day and I just lost interest in the game for awhile. I almost deleted the game yesterday but couldn't do it knowing I spent real money on it. My characters are all max or mid level, and I'm not getting anything I can use from tokens. It's just a mindless grind that I'm not really into right now.

zulux21

74ff2711fd.jpg
-_- well there likely goes my idea of getting 1.1k points (it's back up now after a few min but when it shows up once it tends to be slow in general)
gotta love how often there is server issues near the end of events anymore :/

zulux21

Wonder if they're give some compensation for this... I think not.
HA HA HA HA HA
they compensate for something...
good one...
that would involve them not being stingy bastards trying to wring every cent out of their players whom feel that it's merely our privilege for their servers to be up and that we should be thankful that we even get to potentially pay them money to play their game, thus when their servers are down it's not an issue to them that they would need to compensate for, they are merely giving you a chance to take a small break. (I do wonder when I will finally reach my breaking point and just quit... sadly I feel like that day is getting near, but for now I will continue to get points for the alliance)

at the very least I am just going to get whatever points I can in the next 40 min if the servers come back up and shield... I really don't have any motivation to crawl up high anymore today due to the server issues :/

NomarTyme

HA HA HA HA HA
they compensate for something...
good one...
that would involve them not being stingy bastards trying to wring every cent out of their players whom feel that it's merely our privilege for their servers to be up and that we should be thankful that we even get to potentially pay them money to play their game, thus when their servers are down it's not an issue to them that they would need to compensate for, they are merely giving you a chance to take a small break. (I do wonder when I will finally reach my breaking point and just quit... sadly I feel like that day is getting near, but for now I will continue to get points for the alliance)
Luckily its only Psylocke covers.

NomarTyme

at the very least I am just going to get whatever points I can in the next 40 min if the servers come back up and shield... I really don't have any motivation to crawl up high anymore today due to the server issues :/
Yeah whenever the servers gets back up. My shield is still good till 8 am pst.

zulux21

Luckily its only Psylocke covers.

it wasn't only psylocke covers, I was likely going to get 1.1k points without to much trouble, and would have locked in first place in my bracket which would have also netted me a purple daken... as well as wolverine or inviso woman (not sure which is first place)

unless things changed since last night I was actually put into a really easy bracket where 1.1k would have put me in first by over 200 points....

but w/e... ill settle for 500 points or so assuming the server comes back in the next hour or so and enjoy my time instead of playing this increasingly bad game :/

NomarTyme

it wasn't only psylocke covers, I was likely going to get 1.1k points without to much trouble, and would have locked in first place in my bracket which would have also netted me a purple daken... as well as wolverine or inviso woman (not sure which is first place)

unless things changed since last night I was actually put into a really easy bracket where 1.1k would have put me in first by over 200 points....

but w/e... ill settle for 500 points or so assuming the server comes back in the next hour or so and enjoy my time instead of playing this increasingly bad game :/

oh right. At least its down for everybody too so your lead is fine for now..

Also I hope they release Heartstone someday on Android.

zulux21

oh right. At least its down for everybody too so your lead is fine for now..

Also I hope they release Heartstone someday on Android.

i wasn't in a lead... I was just starting my crawl up :/
now it's to late to get a lead as I only have 30 min or so before the pvp become unplayable instead of 90 like I would have had... in 90 min I can get 1k points no problem.. in 30 I will only be able to get 500 or so :/

and hearthstone is already confirmed for android just no date yet.

HA HA HA HA HA...
now I am stuck in an infinite loop

ect... hopefully if I close my game I can get past it.
I got past it... but I really have no motivation to play (ill grind pve later when I know the server might not crash out on me in the middle of a match)... so yeah... just gonna get 300-400 points depending on how badly I get attacked.

Well, I was cruising right along on my way to just eking out a Psylocke, and was in spot #38 or so. I was out of health packs and at the end of the run, but figured maybe it would hold, for 30 more minutes. Then I looked just now and I see that I just got hit 3 times for 70-ish points and hitting them back gets me about 6 each. Oh well.

In other news, I never had an Invisible Woman, and now I've drawn 2 blues in the last few days. After reading up on her, it seems like there COULD be some interesting strategies with her. For example, wouldn't pairing her with a high level Patch be pretty good? You could just trap all the purple enemy strike tiles in force bubbles (tiles inside force bubbles don't work). Plus, it would probably discourage attacks, since both Patch and especially IW are pretty renowned as annoying, horseshit characters whose shtick is to screw up the game. I dunno. Anyone use her much?

zulux21

Well, I was cruising right along on my way to just eking out a Psylocke, and was in spot #38 or so. I was out of health packs and at the end of the run, but figured maybe it would hold, for 30 more minutes. Then I looked just now and I see that I just got hit 3 times for 70-ish points and hitting them back gets me about 6 each. Oh well.

In other news, I never had an Invisible Woman, and now I've drawn 2 blues in the last few days. After reading up on her, it seems like there COULD be some interesting strategies with her. For example, wouldn't pairing her with a high level Patch be pretty good? You could just trap all the purple enemy strike tiles in force bubbles (tiles inside force bubbles don't work). Plus, it would probably discourage attacks, since both Patch and especially IW are pretty renowned as annoying, horseshit characters whose shtick is to screw up the game. I dunno. Anyone use her much?

you maybe could, the issue of course being you have to get enough covers to use IW as well as get like 300k iso to make her get up to a decent level

Yeah. I guess that's the big drawback with all these crazy high level characters. I could maybe go for some 1300 pvp point IW Blues early in the events.

I had got myself into the top 50 on the Daken event before going to bed last night figuring I could get some in this morning at work. I then went and forgot my phone. Grrr...

Top Bottom