• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Askani

Heh. The last fight I did ended right after timer and it would have put me top 50. Missed a black Psylocke cover I didn't have. I should have planned better but the game is wearing my care level down.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Heh. The last fight I did ended right after timer and it would have put me top 50. Missed a black Psylocke cover I didn't have. I should have planned better but the game is wearing my care level down.
Same thing happened with me. The timer not extending to a reasonable amount of time for people in a game already is some BS.

zulux21

Yeah. I guess that's the big drawback with all these crazy high level characters. I could maybe go for some 1300 pvp point IW Blues early in the events.

you could try but it likely wont go well... the way the game is designed right now playing before there is 24 hours left is completely meaningless...
you can play, but there isn't enough people with points around to get to any good total... eventually you would be on top and just get 1 point because no one else would so you would cap out at around 800-900 points, and of course be attacked unless you are shielding, waiting 20 min... attacking 2-3 people shielding and repeat... (how most members of the shield alliance play)
you won't be attacked as much, but if you are one of the only meaningful point totals out there you will be attacked...

so instead you wait until near the end of the event when others have points... but now more people are playing so it's more likely you will be attacked when you are higher...
1.3k is a really hard mark to make... when I get around 1k I start getting attacked pretty frequently and have trouble getting points...
Wow! I just saw the Psylocke awards!

"Win these awesome and rare C.Magneto covers!

Oh, btw...NERF!"

Amazing troll. lol

I didn't see any details on a mags nerf o_O; ( I mean we know one is coming some day... but that won't be for at the very least until people get these mags covers and spend money to buy more covers/ level him up)

heh, i just noticed that spiderman has a sell bonus since the nerf.... which for me is a whole 250hp back (compared to another 3 star at the same level )at level 30 with 9 covers :p

Askani

I didn't see any details on a mags nerf o_O; ( I mean we know one is coming some day... but that won't be for at the very least until people get these mags covers and spend money to buy more covers/ level him up)

heh, i just noticed that spiderman has a sell bonus since the nerf.... which for me is a whole 250hp back (compared to another 3 star at the same level )at level 30 with 9 covers :p

Yeah. nothing definite, but I know he's on the "fun-balancing" list. I just expect it soon after these new covers drop and people waste ISO on him.

zulux21

so the bar is finally full and the end result is....

a very low point low level battle that you get to use a level 179 sentry in... yay... go d3 you were even crapier at a reward from the gauge then I expected.
edit: I take it back... there is another node that shows up that actually gives a red sentry, d3 did good for once.
59dad5026b.jpg
you also get a 179 sentry to use for that so I can likely even get him on my alt account.

petmis

so the bar is finally full and the end result is....

a very low point low level battle that you get to use a level 179 sentry in... yay... go d3 you were even crapier at a reward from the gauge then I expected.
edit: I take it back... there is another node that shows up that actually gives a red sentry, d3 did good for once.

you also get a 179 sentry to use for that so I can likely even get him on my alt account.

Heh, I won a Sentry cover from finishing that fight :)

turnbuckle

Got on one of my friends for not participating much at all over the last month. I asked him to resign from the alliance (he's also a commander so I can't boot him) but he declined. I think it lit a bit of a fire in him though as he just posted that he got #1 in the Daken event that just ended.

But he only had 588 points to get #1 and he has more and better leveled covers than I do.

I finished with 760 points and only got in rank 53. I could have pushed a little bit higher but I'm stuck at work. Was hoping to get a Psylocke cover.

Man, our alliance has really crapped the bed lately though. We have 19/20 spots and very rarely are we finishing in the top 100. I'm roommates with two of the other players, and they're always #1-2 in points for an event (I'm usually #3). But my brother/roommate made the mistake of giving commander to pretty much every friend that also joined and now we're stuck with them. :(

Been tempted to open the wallet for this game again, but I've held off since my initial big expenditures on it about 2 months ago when I started.

One of my IRL friends joined about a month ago and I'm pretty sure he's already spent around $1,000 on the game. Goddamn...

zulux21

Heh, I won a Sentry cover from finishing that fight :)

I just posted this over on their forums
I just wanted to say thanks for not being stingy for once.... I really hope this becomes the norm when you release a new character.
1 cover doesn't allow you to use a character competitively, it does however usually make you buy a new slot.
1 cover doesn't make it so you don't want to get a top place, it does however mean that you have a small boost when you get a top prize and will help you have an edge in the next event (that will have nodes that require the new character) because you placed well in the event they were given out in.
Finally what 1 covers means is that participating in a 7+ day event allows you to compete in the next event without being screwed over because you were in a bad bracket, or something came up and you just couldn't get a top 100 finish to get the new character. It sucks missing out on a character, and you feel like things are hopeless due to the character being required for the high point nodes. That single cover can go a long way to making people want to play in the next event and continue playing.

So once again, thank you for doing something actually for the players for the first time in a long time, and please keep it up as the little things like this one single cover can really go a long way to making your players happier with you.

hopefully they listen.... I know it would go a long way for me to be less annoyed at them in general, and I haven't missed a new character in forever.

turnbuckle

I just posted this over on their forums

hopefully they listen.... I know it would go a long way for me to be less annoyed at them in general, and I haven't missed a new character in forever.

Agreed with your post. I just did the level real quick and was really happy to get that Sentry cover. Feels good, esepcially after just missing out on a Psylocke cover earlier today and knowing that I have no chance of getting Daken in the PVE since they totally mutilated the points nodes give after the first day.

zulux21

i loooooove being right

I'm waiting for the pop up that goes
"we didn't mean to give out a sentry cover, it was supposed to be a moonstone cover, thus we have wiped sentry from every account and have instead sent you a moonstone cover, even players that didn't get sentry before we did this will get a moonstone cover as our way of thanks for understanding that we made a mistake, thanks, and have a nice day"

>.>

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is Hulk the only other event where a free cover was given away at the end? Or was there more?

Also, have they announced any other lazy characters besides Storm?

I'm waiting for the pop up that goes
"we didn't mean to give out a sentry cover, it was supposed to be a moonstone cover, thus we have wiped sentry from every account and have instead sent you a moonstone cover, even players that didn't get sentry before we did this will get a moonstone cover as our way of thanks for understanding that we made a mistake, thanks, and have a nice day"

>.>

#ClassicD3

zulux21

Is Hulk the only other event where a free cover was given away at the end? Or was there more?

Also, have they announced any other lazy characters besides Storm?

i think patch was as well.
and they never announced a lazy storm... they merely announced a 3 star mohawk storm... it hasn't been confirmed as a lazy storm or a completely brand new character yet as far as I know. (man could you imagine a lazy thor + lazy storm that was based off the one star storm though... drool)

I know. (man could you imagine a lazy thor + lazy storm that was based off the one star storm though... drool)

That's a terrible idea! The idea should be to level past these exploitative early-mid tier characters. It's bad enough we have Lazy Thor, the existence of that character annoys me enough. Finally break through the endless sea of 2* bastard Thors only to face the same exact guy again, only stronger and redrawn. Yay.

zulux21

That's a terrible idea! The idea should be to level past these exploitative early-mid tier characters. It's bad enough we have Lazy Thor, the existence of that character annoys me enough. Finally break through the endless sea of 2* bastard Thors only to face the same exact guy again, only stronger and redrawn. Yay.

if I am going to have a lazy version of storm I would much rather have a lazy 1 star storm over a lazy 2 star storm... that being said.... I would rather see the mistress of the elements have a few tricks.

perhaps for a new event tile move have it instead of doing damage per and giving you the event stuff, instead randomly change them all into the 3 colors she uses.

instead of the green move make it blue and call it Hail Storm, and instead of destroying some tiles and giving you AP why not make it a combination of hulk's green and thor's green, have it destroy a ton of tiles and do damage to all enemies as she summons a twister on her enemies.

so we have red, and we have blue... so why not add a black move and call it Elemental Rage and take it mostly from marvel vs capcom "Encases the opponent in ice from head-to-toe and slashes them with high speed tornadoes. The tornadoes then carry the foe and slam them to the wall for a wallbounce. Acts as blockable throw attack." and work it so it stuns the enemy team for 2 turns dealing some damage on the turn it is activated and the two turns they are stunned (a damage over time thing that you don't have to keep putting AP in) and after that move is used until they are unstunned the music changes to this (yes this would give her two AoE attacks, but at the same time isn't that what storm is good at?)

>.>
tl;dr I would prefer it not be a lazy storm as well.

Wow, I decided to play one single battle in the Psylocke PVP, just to set my bracket. Did it, got my 25 point progression reward standard token and drew... Red Psylocke!

shaowebb

Free Sentry cover, lol shaowebb is so mad right now.

Why would I be mad? I'm RELIEVED. I've been struggling to find time for this event because my position in my industrial career is getting restructured and now that I'm open market I suddenly have like 4 freakin' interviews to go to and only like 1 is in my area. I could end up anywhere from WV, to Virginia border near NC, to Pennsylvania to Texas at this point and its just the end of this week...

Getting out of the rest of this tourney's grind with no Lazy Daken is a MASSIVE relief. Now I can just get home and rest...well that and start frantically scouting real estate before considering any offers.

Real ass problems before trophy collecting for my roster. Thank God its over.

You know, it is kind of sad that I have limited time to play anything (before bed, basically) and I spend it playing this, right next to copies of Persona 4G, Tearaway and Kid Icarus Uprising I've barely touched.

zulux21

You know, it is kind of sad that I have limited time to play anything (before bed, basically) and I spend it playing this, right next to copies of Persona 4G, Tearaway and Kid Icarus Uprising I've barely touched.
that's part of the reason I keep looking for reasons to quit >.>
still haven't found a good one ><:

zulux21

How are you guys getting that free Sentry cover? The gauge you're talking about - is it the Mayhem gauge?

enter the current sub event
find the node that gives away the sentry cover as a prize, it's near the top and you will had to complete at least the first node in the event.
profit?

KuroNeeko

enter the current sub event
find the node that gives away the sentry cover as a prize, it's near the top and you will had to complete at least the first node in the event.
profit?

Yeah! I just saw / got it!

Weird, I can't believe I didn't see that earlier... Thanks for pointing it out!

zulux21

so with the sentry event over we again may have to talk about ways to make the alliance a bit better since we keep just missing the top 100....

also who is placebrother?

Hell yeah!

Got a C. Mag cover and a Doom cover from this event. And a Punisher from Fresh Cut. Throw in the free Sentry and I'd say it was a pretty productive day. Now I just need a ridiculous amount of ISO. 2g's just to upgrade my Steve Rogers a level, and he's got maybe 10 more before I've maxed him out at his current covers. I can't even touch these lower level guys right now.

KuroNeeko

So I've somehow managed to get 5 Original Black Widow covers (all purple.) She doesn't have any other powers at the moment.

I'm lacking in 2&#9733; characters, but already have her maxed out at level 21 (three covers.) I'd like to give her two more purples, but am worried that it will make her skill harder to use / useless.

Think I can just give it to her and respec later as covers come in?

Current Roster:

1&#9733;s
Storm (5/5/3)
B. Widow (3/5)

2&#9733;s
Magneto (1/0/5)
Storm (4/0/1)
Thor (3/0/1)
B. Widow (3/0/0)
Moonstone (1/2/1)
Wolverine - (1/0/2)
Ares (1/1/1)
Bullseye (1/0)
Hawkeye (0/0/1)

3&#9733;s
Psylocke (0/1/1)
Thor (0/0/1) (what the heck is a gold character?)
B. Widow (0/1/0)
Sentry (1/0/0)

4&#9733;s
Invisible Woman (0/1/0)

Time to sell off Bullseye and Moonstone I guess. It's too bad, I think Moonstone could be a fun character to play with just a few changes. :/

Characters are all capped except 1&#9733; Storm / Black Widow.

Last few days of the event were significantly harder than when I started. I guess I'm getting bracketed upwards now. Sucks. :/

So I've somehow managed to get 5 Original Black Widow covers (all purple.) She doesn't have any other powers at the moment.

I'm lacking in 2&#9733; characters, but already have her maxed out at level 21 (three covers.) I'd like to give her two more purples, but am worried that it will make her skill harder to use / useless.

Think I can just give it to her and respec later as covers come in?
Yes, respec her. You should get the other covers quickly. You want her purple at 3 and the other 2 at 5. She might be useless while you wait for the covers though unless you somehow have her not attacking.

Also raise that storm to level 50 asap. Her and Juggs are probably the only two 1&#9733; you will be using long term...

KuroNeeko

Yes, respec her. You should get the other covers quickly. You want her purple at 3 and the other 2 at 5. She might be useless while you wait for the covers though unless you somehow have her not attacking.

Also raise that storm to level 50 asap. Her and Juggs are probably the only two 1&#9733; you will be using long term...

I don't have Original Black Widow at 5 now, she's still at 3. I'm debating whether I should give her the last two (so I can raise her level cap) and then wait to respec when I get the remaining covers OR leave her at 3 since I occasionally use her when my Modern Black Widow is healing.

Thanks for the advice about Storm and Juggs! Guess I shouldn't have tossed his butt. Time to start building him up again!

zulux21

I don't have Original Black Widow at 5 now, she's still at 3. I'm debating whether I should give her the last two (so I can raise her level cap) and then wait to respec when I get the remaining covers OR leave her at 3 since I occasionally use her when my Modern Black Widow is healing.

Thanks for the advice about Storm and Juggs! Guess I shouldn't have tossed his butt. Time to start building him up again!

personally I wouldn't bother rebuilding juggs at this time, you are getting close to the point where you could start putting two stars in your party, and he would just be a waste of iso given he can only get to level 40.... what you want to do is pray that you get some yellow covers for thor as him + 1 star storm = the best early game combo in the game.

NineH

Looks like waiting to join this PvE backfired on me as their rubberbanding was tweaked. Didn't get to play as much as I should have but I managed to save 5 event tokens. 4 Ares and a Wolverine. Oh well, better luck next time I suppose.

turnbuckle

so with the sentry event over we again may have to talk about ways to make the alliance a bit better since we keep just missing the top 100....

If there's a spot open I'd be willing to leave my alliance. Too many people not contributing over there. Kinda hard leaving after buying so many slots, but missing out on rewards over and over is frustrating. I'm not sure I'd be worthy of the GAF alliance though, my strongest character is just a level 105 Steve Rogers. Mostly stuck using the cookie cutter ** Thor / MBW / whomever still. Currently working on maxing out my ** Magneto.

Uh oh, am I getting called out?

It's been a busy week and I didn't have time to grind the Sentry event. Things are slowing down though so I'll be able to rack up more points in the next few events.

Torn right now. I have some room I can pour ISO into Patch and get him 100+ (he's currently 90). Or I can drop some caysh and get another power level unlocked for LaThor and get him past level 89 instead.

Orrrr I could start pouring ISO into one of the following
Hood
Hulk
Punisher
GBW
any of whom I could also push toward 100+

halp

animus82

Banned
Torn right now. I have some room I can pour ISO into Patch and get him 100+ (he's currently 90). Or I can drop some caysh and get another power level unlocked for LaThor and get him past level 89 instead.

Hood
Hulk
Punisher
GBW

halp

Go HULK Benji and pump up that black and let the magic begin!

zulux21

If there's a spot open I'd be willing to leave my alliance. Too many people not contributing over there. Kinda hard leaving after buying so many slots, but missing out on rewards over and over is frustrating. I'm not sure I'd be worthy of the GAF alliance though, my strongest character is just a level 105 Steve Rogers. Mostly stuck using the cookie cutter ** Thor / MBW / whomever still. Currently working on maxing out my ** Magneto.
Roster strength isn't all that important, it's how many points you get.
Uh oh, am I getting called out?

It's been a busy week and I didn't have time to grind the Sentry event. Things are slowing down though so I'll be able to rack up more points in the next few events.

I was mostly asking because I was curious, but I suppose you are getting called out a little
the bottom five of the season event are
I don't have the sentry numbers, but I know you were near the bottom there as well. But I was more curious because of the stuff I am about to get into (the stuff after this is in general not directed just at you)

some people in general are getting a little annoyed that we keep just missing a top 100 and thus keep missing out on covers and have started talking about perhaps working to restructure gaf-vengers and use gaf-kanda as a proving ground... basically put all the best in vengers, and the rest in kanda, and every so often compare and perhaps bump down the worst vengers, and up the best kanda.

There are a couple of things to note with this though.

First off, as it stands the prizes wouldn't change much for those being bumped down to kanda from vengers.... right now the prizes each alliance gets is about the same, kanda is usually only a bracket or two below vengers so typically it's just like 500 iso you are missing out on. (aka the big change is if we can get back into the top 100) and that is with kanda having seemingly only 12 or 13 active members so if we can get that up to 20 they should get top 250s without to much trouble.

Second, we would need to remove most of the commanders from both alliances so if we need to make last day switches we can. Basically the simplest way to do this that I can come up with is as follows;
with 6-12 hours left we check the rankings of gaf vengers in the active event, if we aren't in the top 100 we attempt to make some changes if we can (we thought about this for the sentry event, but it was basically impossible for us to get a top 100 due to changes in the rubberbanding so we didn't do anything)
how the changes would work is as follows... basically the people in kanda that have decently more points than some vengers people would be kicked from kanda, and the vengers people would be kicked from there and in those last hours we would expect you to apply to the other alliance. ideally then we could have full rosters in both cases with the best in vengers and the rest in kanda.

Alas there are a number of things that could go wrong with this. First off if someone forgets to apply to the other alliance they would miss out on rewards, and that would suck. Beyond that what if that person from kanda in general just isn't around to join vengers, having the 21st best player as the 20th member in vengers is better than having only 19 players (im not to worried about this case because anyone that would be in the top 20 should be around in the last 6 hours, and in the past when I have had to replace people in the last hour I have been able to because there is usually someone around). There is also the issue of this could piss some people off as they paid for slots in gaf-vengers, but at the same time in this case it shouldn't be that hard to grasp if you aren't pulling your weight that accepting a demotion to another alliance that will get you basically the same rewards as if you stayed in the first one isn't the end of the world...

Basically this whole thing is a mess and I can't think of a good way to make everyone happy short of us managing to make both alliances place in the top 100, which seems unlikely unless there are some players that kick ass that just aren't in an alliance yet. I would love any feedback on how we should go about it, because I don't disagree that it's a bit frustrating that we are finishing repeatedly at 110-125 right now and thus getting top 250 and no covers from events.... at the same time I don't like the idea of making vengers an elite club (despite the fact it wouldn't effect me) as this is supposed to be a game we have fun with it...

tl;dr does anyone have any ideas on how we can make gaf-vengers get in the top 100 again without pissing off a number of people?

Hood
Hulk
Punisher
GBW

halp

level which ever you enjoy more of patch and punisher, unless you want to spend some cash lazy thor isn't a bad choice either. Hood is decent but he is no patch or punisher, and while hulk is a pain to face, when you have to worry about getting him to take hits, plus refill his life just to trigger his passive, he really isn't that great as his other two moves are meh.

I was mostly asking because I was curious, but I suppose you are getting called out a little
the bottom five of the season event are

I don't have the sentry numbers, but I know you were near the bottom there as well. But I was more curious because of the stuff I am about to get into (the stuff after this is in general not directed just at you)

I'm not offended, don't worry. I may be low on S2 activities but like with S1, I'll definitely get well past the 10,000 mark.

Hmm. Well as someone who paid for HP to afford my 'Vengers slot, I vote... yes, actually. Promotion and relegation works for me. Because

a. The obvious point: It's a bummer to be in the top five after grinding the season/big PVE event and then have the Alliance just miss out. And then look down the list and see people who couldn't have played more than a couple of times the whole event. And I'm a middle of the order guy, I can't imagine how it feels for someone like Askani or Mike.

and the other side of the coin actually supports it too... that is

b. It might be kind of nice to deliberately drop down into 'Kanda now and then if say, you know some other game is coming out that you'll be spending a lot of time with. Or some other life event. Then you can play casually in Kanda, and not feel like you need to quit the game altogether. Taking some of that pressure off actually sounds great to me... as I mentioned yesterday, it's kind of sad that I'm dumping every available gaming moment into MPQ while a copy of P4G sits unplayed.

I dunno, those are my thoughts.

Hmm. Well as someone who paid for HP to afford my 'Vengers slot, I vote... yes, actually. Promotion and relegation works for me. Because

a. The obvious point: It's a bummer to be in the top five after grinding the season/big PVE event and then have the Alliance just miss out. And then look down the list and see people who couldn't have played more than a couple of times the whole event. And I'm a middle of the order guy, I can't imagine how it feels for someone like Askani or Mike.

and the other side of the coin actually supports it too... that is

b. It might be kind of nice to deliberately drop down into 'Kanda now and then if say, you know some other game is coming out that you'll be spending a lot of time with. Or some other life event. Then you can play casually in Kanda, and not feel like you need to quit the game altogether. Taking some of that pressure off actually sounds great to me... as I mentioned yesterday, it's kind of sad that I'm dumping every available gaming moment into MPQ while a copy of P4G sits unplayed.

I dunno, those are my thoughts.

As someone who's clawed with my fingernails to really start doing better I'd also like to see some kind of steps towards improvement, although opening the gates between Kanda and Vengies would require a whole shitload of trust.

zulux21

As someone who's clawed with my fingernails to really start doing better I'd also like to see some kind of steps towards improvement, although opening the gates between Kanda and Vengies would require a whole shitload of trust.

indeed, in general the first thing we would need to do is have most people temp leave their respective alliances to lose commander status, as we can't freely kick commanders as needed, but then we need to decide who gets to keep commander status, and who gets to control stuff, and while I have been somewhat doing that for a bit, I really don't want to be the sole guy in charge of stuff (really I prefer acting from the shadows anyways thus I don't like being in charge in general :p) as from time to time I actually do have a life (or more often I have work for the events that end at 11am CST)

KuroNeeko

I am still new to the game and don't have the experience ranking in events like you guys, but it's clear that, for at least some, this is more than a game. GafAvengers is already an elite club OR some of you devoting more time / energy are trying to make it elite.

This is a natural division in P2W games, there are always people willing to invest more and they end up feeling like they're being dragged down when the rest don't carry their weight.

I don't think your proposal about checking the guild rankings hours before an event ends so you can alter the roster will have a happy ending. There are too many factors involved and something WILL go down.

The easiest, clearest answer is to form another guild or restructure GAF Avengers. Those who are unsatisfied with their performance can either leave and form a new guild, vote for some sort of mandatory performance standard with people who fail to perform being outed, or convince the rest of the "non-performing" members to leave.

Guilds / Alliances work best when everyone is on the same page / activity level. What we have here is one subset of people who are unsatisfied because the rest of the group isn't performing to their standards. You may want to give people a chance to exchange guilds now or at the start of season 3. Those who want something more casual or don't want to "step up" can move down to Kanda. Those who want to "move up" can hit the Avengers. In the end, if they paid for the slot though, it's their choice unless you establish some clear rules that the majority agree upon.

Top Bottom